PDA

View Full Version : The Cautada (Newt/Salamander Race)

Nada Rakshasa
2008-02-10, 05:14 PM
A few weeks back I got this idea to build a race based on salamanders the and newts. Now, I’ve been trying to put this race together for since and come up with what you see here, but I’ve still got some issues that I can’t seem to resolve on my own.
First, are they overpowered, underpowered, balanced? I’m having some difficulty gauging.
Should they have Racial Hit Die or Level adjustment or both?
Favored Class? I’m torn, but I’m thinking Ranger or Druid.
Do their abilities seem appropriate for their theme? Is there anything that I should reconsider, add or let go of?
How's the fluffy stuff? Their culture is heavily inspired by that of the Samoans, which I've always been intrigued by.
Thanks in advance for any input. I appreciate the assistance.

Cautada
Physical Description: Cautadas resemble over-sized, bipedal salamanders, with slender bodies, short arms and legs, and long tails. They usually have golden eyes. Their moist skin can be a variety of colors, from camouflaging earth tones to bright warning colors, or in some instances, both. They typically stand 3 to 4 feet tall and weigh 45-60 pounds. Their tail measures 2/3 their height.
Personality, Lands, and Relations: Cautadas are often affable, curious and easygoing. They enjoy the company of others, and under normal circumstances will avoid solitude. They are practical in most matters and very loyal to those they consider family.
Cautadas often build small villages in or very near a source of fresh water, lakes, rivers, ponds or streams. Their most common dwellings are built directly into riverbanks, camouflaged to the eyes of strangers. They often farm water plants and assorted fungi and maintain small fish hatcheries. Cautadas live a simple lifestyle without many material possessions.
A typical cautada village is made up of a series of families. Respect for authority is instilled from an early age. An elder leads the family, and is selected by members of the group. A family member is anyone who is related to the elder by birth, marriage, or adoption. The elders of a village form a council which governs the affairs of the village. Each elder is responsible for the labour, activities, well-being, and housing of his family. Family members are obliged to share their food and other possessions with the extended family and, to some extent, with the entire village. Extended families normally have 20 to 30 members.
Cautadas are quite open to trading and socializing with other races.
Alignment: Cautadas are usually lawful neutral, due to their hierarchal society.
Religion: While Cautadas are not usually religious, some clans have been known to worship nature or water deities.

Cautada Racial Traits
Cautadas have the following racial abilities and characteristics.
Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution: Cautadas have a lithe but healthy physique but are not physically powerful.
Speed: A cautada's base land speed is 20 feet. A cautada's base swim speed is 40 feet. A cautada has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A cautada can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A cautada can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Swim checks.
Small: As a Small creature, a cautada gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Low-Light Vision (Ex): A cautada can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Familiarity (Ex): Cautadas treat tridents and nets as simple weapons.
Amphibious (Ex): Although cautadas are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land. They are fully at home underwater, and take no penalties there (as if under the effect of a freedom of movement spell).
Slippery Skin (Ex): All cautadas secrete an oily film that makes them difficult to grapple or snare. Webs, magical or otherwise, don’t effect cautadas, and they usually can wriggle from most forms of confinement. It also grants a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks.
When they feel threatened, this secretion becomes toxic. This poison may affect any creature using unarmed attacks, natural weapons, or touch attacks against the cautada and will cause the attacker to become “nauseated” for 1d3 rounds. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.
The saving throw of the cautada’s toxin is DC: 10 + .5 x HD + CON Modifier.
Lesser Regeneration (Ex): Acid, fire and slashing weapons deal normal damage to a cautada. A cautada heals 1 point of damage per HD every hour rather than every day. (This ability cannot be aided by the Heal skill.) Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. If a cautada loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 days. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.
Fresh Water Dependency (Ex): Cautadas breathe in fresh water with ease. They can also breathe salt water, but most find the experience uncomfortable and must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued for 10 minutes afterward. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 15 minutes it remains immersed.
A cautada must immerse his entire body in fresh water at least once a day or suffer ill effects. After a day has passed, a cautada must make a Constitution check every day thereafter (DC 10 + 1 per additional day) or take 1 point of Constitution damage. Once a cautada immerses his body in water, he immediately regains 1d4 points of Constitution per hour that he remains in the water.
Automatic Languages: Cautada, Common. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Gnomish, Halfling.
Level Adjustment: ?
Favored Class: ?

Parvum
2008-02-10, 06:00 PM
As small creatures, you (thankfully) don't need to give them HD, as that's usually reserved for 'thicker' races. I love the inclusion of all of the Sea Kin traits... but for all I know that's included in every second aquatic race. Muh.

You say that respect for authority is instilled at an early age. Wouldn't this give them a lawful bent?

They need quite a few more bonus languages. I don't know if not having Common as automatic is worth a LA knockdown... if it isn't, you should really give it to them.

Call the modified regeneration ability Lesser Regeneration. Even as it is, Regeneration is a powerful ability, and will increase Level Adjustment. I understand that slashing is there to make it less powerful, but is there an excuse as to why it is slashing?

I can't really calculate LA well, but as-is I'd say somewhere between +1 and +4.

Nada Rakshasa
2008-02-10, 06:42 PM
As small creatures, you (thankfully) don't need to give them HD, as that's usually reserved for 'thicker' races. I love the inclusion of all of the Sea Kin traits... but for all I know that's included in every second aquatic race. Muh.

Hmm. Okay. The Sea Kin traits seemed appropriate for the Cautada, so I borrowed some of them and tweaked them for my purposes.

You say that respect for authority is instilled at an early age. Wouldn't this give them a lawful bent?

That's an excellent point. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

They need quite a few more bonus languages. I don't know if not having Common as automatic is worth a LA knockdown... if it isn't, you should really give it to them.

An oversight. Fixed. Thank you.

Call the modified regeneration ability Lesser Regeneration. Even as it is, Regeneration is a powerful ability, and will increase Level Adjustment. I understand that slashing is there to make it less powerful, but is there an excuse as to why it is slashing?

Actually, the slashing is there to represent the ease with which their limbs can be severed and their vulnerability to it. Perhaps a miscalculation on my part? I'm not sure.

I can't really calculate LA well, but as-is I'd say somewhere between +1 and +4.

Thank you for your assistance.