PDA

View Full Version : Chair of Ulberkhan



Penril
2008-02-12, 03:52 AM
Winter has come to the North and looks like its here to stay. Food and supplies are running low outside the city of Heliogabalus and monsters from the Great Glacier have been forced south, terrorizing the towns. Rumours on the tundra whisper that this in no ordinary winter, it is too cold and too dangerous out in the wilds ...

Our story begins with in the busy city of Heliogabalus. It is dawn, but in spite of the gloom and biting cold, the city stirs and goes about its business. In the northern courtyard of the city, a great crowd of people shout and shove, trying to load up a number of large caravans. One man stands on a box, trying to be heard above the noise. He is dressed in heavy furs with the hood pulled around his middle-aged, weather-beaten face.

((Welcome to my first ever adventure, friends! Enjoy!))

Zyks
2008-02-12, 09:41 AM
Kator

The arctic dwarf, being shorter than his more common brethren, elbows his way through the crowds, trying to get closer to hear what the man on the box is saying.

lordsigmund
2008-02-12, 10:25 AM
Szogar

Turning a corner while wandering round the town, Szogar came across the large throng of people. He instinctively jumped back before he realised that they couldn't be here for him, it was doubtful they would be able to see through his disguise. "Lets see whats going on" he thought before heading towards the crowd.

OOC:Used one of my SLA Disguise Self uses to disguise myself as a young male halfling dressed in adventurer's garb.

smart thog
2008-02-12, 12:43 PM
Lebaar becomes irrated over how loud the crowd is, and thinks of a way to quite it. After a little wisper to Fluffy the whole crowd is silenced by a polar bear's roar.


Go on. Lebaar says to the man on the box

Penril
2008-02-14, 08:04 AM
As the echoes of the tremendous roar ring around the buildings, all heads turn to the great, white bear. The man on the box looks surprised, but then clears his throat and begins issuing orders. “Right, you lot,” he says to group of clerks that surround his box “Bugger off and double check those figures again and I don’t want to have to go and check them myself! Is that grain you have there? Dried meats?” He asks another group of strong, middle-aged men hauling large sacks “Over to the supply wagons, Cecil will sort you out. Sirs,” he now addresses a group of pointy-hatted mages “I understand your necessity, but you really are going to have to wait until I’ve spoken to the others. Everyone else, get back to work! You two?” He peers across the courtyard at Lebaar and standing on tip-toe to see Kator, “Go see Uldric at the desk over there” The man points across to a quieter area of the courtyard, where a battered desk has been placed, behind which, sits an elderly half-orc, sorting through paperwork. He does not appear to hear mention of his name, or if he has, he takes no notice. “Anyone else up for guard duty or sell-sword work, make a line over there as well” he says.

Sweat runs down his brow as he steps down from the box and joins the throng of busy workers.

As you make your way to the desk, as instructed, several other groups join you. A rather unsavoury group of humans all dressed in chainmail and red tabards, a pair of half-elves sporting prize-winning bar-brawl injuries and a trio of half-orcs dressed in well kept leather armour, with longbows sung on their shoulders all head towards the quiet desk and form a rough queue. At the sight of Lebaar and Kator the half-orcs exchange looks and begin to murmur among themselves, while the band of humans talk loudly to each other about last night’s drinking and debauchery.

Zyks
2008-02-14, 11:37 AM
Kator

Turning to Lebaar, Kator asks So what brings you to this area? And may I say thats an impressive creature you have there

Kator stretches and flexes his large muscles, watching the half-orcs and trying to figure out what they're murmering about

Making a listen check to see if I can hear them. If I'm not meant to hear them, just forget this.

listen [roll0]

smart thog
2008-02-14, 03:28 PM
Fun mostly. And Fluffy thanks you for the complement.


also trying to here the half orcs [roll0]

Penril
2008-02-15, 03:44 AM
OOC Zyks, always feel free to do what you think your character would do, I don't want anyone to feel restricted. The world is yours to roam in :smallbiggrin:

... are you sure? I thought they never left the Glacier? These are strange times indeed!
Strange? See the bear? They say Coldwater Forest was saved by a gnome of the wilds with a polar bear companion.
No! says his incredulous companion
I tell you, yes, we may well travel with the very same hero

The Orcs notice your attentions, turn their backs and change the subject to talk of the dangers they may well face ahead, something that you know yourselves to be more than true.

Raucous laughter suddenly breaks out at the front of the queue as the human mercenary band reaches the desk. They begin talking loudly in an unfamiliar language, some human dialect, but are clearly making fun of the elderly half-orc at the desk. As they move away, the half-elves now stand at the front of the queue.

smart thog
2008-02-15, 08:54 AM
Lebaar takes the half orcs complement in stride, and givese fluffy a little pet and says to him Just a bit longer. We are almost there.

Zyks
2008-02-17, 06:27 PM
Kator

THe dwarf waits patiently for his turn at the desk.

Penril
2008-02-18, 05:13 AM
The half-elves move away from the desk and move toward the group of wizards who are attempting to manoeuvre a huge brass apparatus onto one of the wagons. The object is huge and made up of an array of pipes, spheres, levers and gauges. Despite the obvious weight of the thing, a simple wave of a hand and a few muttered words and it floats effortlessly about the ground. By this time, the half-orcs, too have left the queue and the wizened half-orc looks at Lebaar. “n’ext,” he says. His pronunciation is curiously unique and has a partially muted quality to it. “’apers?” he asks, holding a wrinkled hand out expectantly.

Zyks
2008-02-18, 05:42 AM
Kator

Stood behind lebaar, Kator frowns at the mention of papers.

Papers? nobody told us about this...

Penril
2008-02-18, 10:42 AM
In the absence of an Idea Roll (damn I miss 6th Ed Cthulhu) I'll ask Zyks to check the first post of the OOC thread and remember that your expertise have been specifically called for.

smart thog
2008-02-18, 11:15 AM
(Nice triple post, Penril)

Knowing that he would have to sign papers, Lebaar is glad he took a quil with him.

Writing down his as well as Kator's, and Grak's, Lebaar eagerly looks through the documents for anything that would upset him, and walks off, telling Kator that I'll get us a room at a Inn. Any preferences which one?

Zyks
2008-02-18, 03:47 PM
Kator

Oops. I remember reading why we were hear, I obviously didnt take in the papers part, sorry

Well, I find one with good ale is usually prefferable. But I can go with whatever.

Zyks
2008-02-18, 04:07 PM
Kator

Oops. I remember reading why we were hear, I obviously didnt take in the papers part, sorry

Well, I find one with good ale is usually prefferable. But I can go with whatever.

smart thog
2008-02-18, 05:37 PM
Alright then. as he is leaving, Lebaar asks Where is Grak?

Penril
2008-02-19, 03:38 AM
"Hasn't shown" says a voice behind you. You turn to see the man who was giving orders earlier. He grins widely and thrusts out a hand Jonah Whitbead, merchant, adventurer, entrepenour! I'm glad you could make it, your services are truely a blessing from Our Smiling Lady. Before you go, just a few things: You two and Grak, if he arrives will scout the road ahead of the caravan. Our journery will take us north, past the Giantspire Mountains, to the first of the towns, called Thimble. This should take us about 7 days, weather permitting. From there, we head into the centre of the frontier towns, Tokard, set up a base of operations and head out to the surrounding towns with men and supplies. If all goes well, we can be back in 2 tendays. We leave at dawn tomorrow, make sure you're ready.

Alritey, if you have any questions, ask the man and make sure you pick up anything you need from the city before sun down.

smart thog
2008-02-20, 05:41 PM
Okay. one question though. Will this trip be dangerous? Lebaar asks hopefully.

Zyks
2008-02-20, 05:56 PM
Kator

Yeah, how many skulls do I get to crush on this trip? And are we free to "aquire" items which happen to be on the opposition?

Kator grins widely and cracks his knuckles every way imaginable

Penril
2008-02-21, 03:47 AM
Ah, the banter of a fighting man! Jonah exclaimed with a wide grin Good sirs, we would not have called for your specific aid were the trip but a stroll through the meadow. There's Frost Orcs and all kinds of tundra beasts been pushed south, so there'll be plently of fiends to slay. Being of adventuring stock myself in my younger days, I understand the need to liberate teasure from an otherwise blood-soaked and lonely existence! he laughs heartily and points to the group of humans across the courtyard 'course I'll wager you'll have to fight them Iron Collars for it though, nasty pieces of work them, but their swords are sharp and at worst they make cheap labour. If all's concluded, you'll have to excuse me, I've still got alot to sort out. He nods to you and turns back to the havoc of the caravan teams and begins to shout and wave his arms around again.

If you've nothing more to do at this time, we can skip straight to the morning if you like.

lordsigmund
2008-02-21, 04:45 AM
Szogar

After taking in the scene, Szogar strolls up to the desk where the gnome with a bear and dwarf stand talking to a merchant.

"Greetings fellows, I apologise for my delay. I'm here to sign up for the trip. I have skill with sorcery that I believe may be of some use. My name is Sarian, pleasure to meet you."

Szogar takes a deep bow.

Penril
2008-02-21, 05:44 AM
'apers? the old half-orc asks the halfing in his stange, muted speak 'ou 'af to pay ay' gol' if 'ou ain' got 'apers

smart thog
2008-02-21, 03:21 PM
He's with us now. Lebaar signs Sarian's name in the book.

Penril
2008-02-22, 03:36 AM
The half-orc snorts and slams the books shut moments after Labaar's hand is out of the way in annoyance against The Ways of Good Book-keeping and takes his leave, heading toward the mess of caravans.

People are going out their work now and the three of you are left to your own devices untill tomorrow.

Zyks
2008-02-22, 05:40 AM
Kator

All right, whos up for a drink?

smart thog
2008-02-22, 09:11 AM
Me. *hears a polar bear roar behind him* And fluffy it seems

lordsigmund
2008-02-23, 10:23 AM
Szogar

"Ah, I could do with a good drink and a chance to rest my feet."

Zyks
2008-02-23, 10:54 AM
Kator

Right, so wheres the pub around here?

spot check for the pub? :smallbiggrin: [roll0]

or should that be search? :smalltongue:

edit: well, looks like I might not find the pub

smart thog
2008-02-23, 03:30 PM
I know a good one around here, the wyrm's mug, it allows pets, maybe we could head there. Last one there pays the bar tab for all of us.. *Mounts on Fluffy (move action) casts snowshoes (standard action) and heads off toward the pub*

Rules of the race: each player puts down their move speed (Fluffy's in this case is 50) and rolls initiative (heres mine) [roll0]. First to have gone 340 feet wins. Any form of slowing down an opponent that does not deal hit point damage is legal (so expect to be grappled by 1d4+1 monkeys)

Zyks
2008-02-23, 03:48 PM
Kator

Cheat! thats not fair, we can't all ride polar bears around!

Smiling, Kator starts running, darting between people towards the pub.

smart thog
2008-02-24, 04:53 PM
Thats the fun part.

Zyks, roll initiative

Zyks
2008-02-24, 05:07 PM
Kator

initiavtive: [roll0]

30ft movement

smart thog
2008-02-24, 05:21 PM
*readies an action to use a call lightning spell as a summon natures ally 3 spell to get 1d4+1 monkeys to grapple the next person to pass him*

Penril
2008-02-25, 03:46 AM
In a flurry of snow the pair head off to the nearest pub! As you tear off up the street, people dive out of the way as the bearded juggernaut hares off up the street with uncanny speed.

Alright! Let the race begin! Lebaar, worry not about posting the stats of your summoned creatures, I have the creatures lists, so just start that casting!

lordsigmund
2008-02-25, 04:53 AM
Szogar

"Aha, marvellous, catch me if you can". Szogar grins widely and mutters a few words under his breath before he rises a foot from the ground and speeds forward.

Using my Fly SLA and making my full 60ft fly speed move.

Initiative: [roll0]

Zyks
2008-02-25, 11:23 AM
looks like I'll be losing then :smallyuk: 30ft move speed, no chance of grabbing a guy that flies, and little chance of grabbing a polar bear with monkeys attacking me.

smart thog
2008-02-25, 06:14 PM
Fluffy moves 100 feet (two moves actions, each at 50ft) Making a ride check so I don't crash [roll0] Whats the DC for riding in the streets like this? Also, I have not cast the spell yet. Thats for when you pass me.

Zyks
2008-02-26, 03:16 AM
Move like if I pass you, I have 30ft movemtent! Making a run action. I;m pretty sure that moves faster than normal, but I can't be bothered to look it up right now, I dont have time

Penril
2008-02-26, 03:29 AM
The crowded street is busy and a little slippery from the slush of last nights snow. However, the crowd is making a determined effort to keep out of your way. Your polar bear is disciplined enough to behave so it'll only be DC 5 to account for any unexpected icy patches etc.

lordsigmund
2008-02-26, 07:11 AM
Szogar

As he flew along, the polar bear crashed past Szogar, people scrambling to get out of it's way. Determination in his eyes, Szogar waved his hands and pointed at the area underneath the bear as he ran along, creating a magical slippery coating on the floor beneath it's feet.

Flying forward 60ft as a move action, then casting Grease on the floor beneath the polar bear, 10' radius centred on it. Reflex DC16 for the bear or fall, taken every round you remain in the area.

After that, DC10 balance check to be able to move at half speed out of the area, failure by more than 5 means you fall over. Grease lasts for 9 rounds.

smart thog
2008-02-26, 01:03 PM
[roll0]

Whoa. Whaa! *Falls over* This is not over!*Casts summon monster level 4 (loses flame strike) to get an air elemental.

smart thog
2008-02-26, 01:09 PM
*Readied action, casting summon monster level 3 at person to pass me*

Eat monkies! [roll0]

Penril
2008-02-27, 03:35 AM
The polar bear crashes to the ground, causing a ragged cheer from the small crowd that appear to be watching this strange race. As monkeys suddenly appear in the street with a chorus of shrill cries, Lebaar begins casting another spell from his prone state on the cold (now cracked in places) street.

Zyks
2008-02-29, 04:38 PM
Karthan

The dwarf continues running, not very confident that he would get there before anyone else.

60ft move again

smart thog
2008-02-29, 06:56 PM
As the Air elemental comes to Lebaar, he commands it to turn into a whirlwind, and move him 200 ft (its a full round action for it) which makes him win the race. As he leaves, Lebaar notes that If Kator wants a lift to the tavern, you can let him ride you. Sarian, I expect you to pay for the road.

taking damage from the air elementals whirlwind [roll0]

The monkies appear right on top of Sarian (four tiny creatures can fit on one small creature) and try to pin him.

Rolling Grapple checks. Monkey one [roll1]. Monkey two [roll2]. Monkey three [roll3]. Monkey four [roll4].

Zyks
2008-03-01, 04:29 AM
Kator

Noticing Lebaar shoot off by the power of air, and leaving the polar bear behind, Karthan makes a quick decision. Taking a running leap he vaults onto the polar bears back, hoping like hell it will follow its master.

Hoping since this is only fun I wouldn't make any rolls?

if not heres a jump check [roll0]

also sorry for posting my name as "Karthan" before, its one of my other dwarf characters.

smart thog
2008-03-01, 02:16 PM
Don't worry about getting on fluffy. He's lying down on the grease right now. Also, he is not only trained to except riders, but he also knows you quite well.

Having just gotten off his air elemental, Lebaar dismisses it to its elemental plane, then heads to the general store next door to buy 5 daggers (a staple of any adventurer), some rope (hempen), a bullseye lantern, 60 pints of oil (of which Lebaar asks to put into 6 bags each one holding 10 pints of oil), some flint and steel, and a potion of of cure light wounds, which costs 90 gp for the whole group. All this, and a healing potion. Also, take this Lebaar hands the man at the counter a Platinum piece For the trouble that my unusual request has not doubt brought you. *Hands over 10 pp*

Penril
2008-03-02, 09:26 AM
Well done racers!

If theres nothing else you'd like to do, you can buy stuff and we can do a "The next morning ... " bit.

lordsigmund
2008-03-04, 06:04 AM
Szogar

Shock filling his eyes, Szogar rapidly changed direction, flying upwards to avoid the bounding monkeys summoned in front of him. "Close call" he thought to himself.

At that moment, what felt like a small tornado burst past him, almost blowing him into the nearby wall. He could just make out a small gnome in the center of it. As he approached the pub, he descended back to the ground to see the gnome stroll out of the shop next door.

"Nice move, I thought I had you there." He told Lebaar.

smart thog
2008-03-04, 04:32 PM
Dismissing the monkeys in street after they missed there target, Lebaar staggers under the weight of the stuff he bought at the store next door until he manages to shove it all into his haversack. Same goes for you and the monkeys.

Zyks
2008-03-04, 04:40 PM
Kator

Kator doesn't have anything to do for today, except maybe get hold of some rations. Move the story along if you like

smart thog
2008-03-04, 07:47 PM
Actually, he was to pay for the beer

lordsigmund
2008-03-05, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I want my drink :)

Penril
2008-03-05, 07:51 AM
You enjoy your post race drinks and prepare for the journey tomorrow. At dawn you make your way back to the courtyard. Now the wagon convoy is in a much more orderly state and is quite a sight to behold. 11 large wagons, each pulled by 2 strong horses. About a score of guards, workmen and mages are on and around the convoy. On the lead cart, you can see Jonah waving at you "Hey! There you are! Lets get going, hop on anywhere you like!" and, with a crack of the reigns, the convoy begins to move off, causing you to dash towards it to get on in time.

The order of the wagons is as follows: (Front) GW, SW, SW, SW, GW, SW, SW, RW, RW, GW (back). GW = Guard Wagon, which contains 3 hired guards in them. SW = Supply wagon, which contains 2 or 3 supplymen and labourers and RW = Research Wagon which contains several reseachers in each. The hired mercenaries are either on the guard wagons or on their own horses along side the main convoy as it travels slightly fast than walking pace.

Zyks
2008-03-05, 10:16 AM
Kator

So how much am I paying for the drinks?

The dwarf thunders along next to the wagons and jumps lightley onto the footplate of the first supply wagon. He swings himself up onto the main body of the vehicle, and nods to the supplymen and labourers aboard.

smart thog
2008-03-06, 01:03 PM
Zyks, I think you will be paying at least 30 gp on drinks, (who doesn't drink at a friends expense?

Lebaar rides over to the second supply cart, and moves at the speed of the wagon.

lordsigmund
2008-03-13, 08:08 AM
Szogar

Having disguised himself as the halfling again before leaving the inn in the morning, Szogar takes up a position on the third supply wagon, where he can keep an eye on his two companions as well as the rest of the wagon train.

smart thog
2008-03-18, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, this has been calm. I though you said that there would be monsters. This is getting kinda boring. Lebaar says to Jonah after the first few hours of travel. Also, he readies an action to cast greater magic fang on all of Fluffy's natural weapons if a monster appears.

Zyks
2008-03-19, 03:32 AM
Kator

The dwarf leans back in the wagon and starts to drift into drowsiness with the rocking motion of the vehicle.

Penril
2008-03-19, 04:38 AM
((Listen checks all, Lebaar, you notice a subtle change in the horses and your companion. the animals sense something, and are all on high alert to some kind of approaching danger.))

As the morning passes into mundane noon, you reach a light thicket of trees. the main track, which is some 15ft wide continues through to the tundra, about half a mile away. The day is bright, though very cold, with a light breeze.

If you got above 15, you hear a strange, rumbling sound coming from below the ground, and you can make one full round's worth of actions before something bad happens ...

lordsigmund
2008-03-19, 06:39 AM
Szogar

Listen Check - [roll0]

smart thog
2008-03-20, 11:49 AM
(Remember I get a listen check for fluffy)


Lebaar
[roll0]

Fluffy
[roll1]

Zyks
2008-03-20, 02:11 PM
Kator

listen: [roll0]

Zyks
2008-03-20, 02:13 PM
arghhh sorry for the double post

[roll0]

smart thog
2008-03-23, 10:19 AM
Kator do you hear something?

Penril
2008-03-25, 05:31 AM
Kator, you hear a low, deep rumbling sound of immenent trouble coming from below ground, though you cannot pinpoint the sound. You all notice that several others have heard the sound too and are looking around, worried.

((Kator, take your action))

smart thog
2008-03-25, 10:47 AM
Can he warn us?

Penril
2008-03-25, 11:03 AM
If he wants to, lets wait and see :smallsmile:

Zyks
2008-03-25, 11:43 AM
Kator

Hey, something's coming, something big. Be ready...

Kator visibly tenses up and becomes more focused.

Penril
2008-03-26, 06:18 AM
The ground suddenly erupts and a huge, blue centipede-like creature bursts through the first two carts, sending horses, men and supplies in all directions.
The horses attached to the third cart panic and bolt, causing it to race past the great, chitinous beast, which is struggling out of its hole. Szogar is on the cart, which is now past the beast, while Kator and Lebaar land to either side of the track, both 15ft from the creature.

Everyone make a reflex save and roll initiative!

DC 15 or be knocked prone

Zyks
2008-03-26, 10:55 AM
Kator

reflex[roll0]
initiative [roll1]

smart thog
2008-03-26, 08:59 PM
Taking advantage of Kator's warning, Lebaar casts Natures avatar on fluffy, then uses his readied action to cast greater magic fang (using the version that effects all of fluffy's natural weapons.)

Ref save

Lebaar

Save [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]
Fluffy

Save [roll2]
Initiative [roll3]

lordsigmund
2008-03-31, 02:59 AM
Szogar

Reflex: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Penril
2008-04-01, 02:36 AM
Initiative order: Szogar (prone on cart), Monster, Lebaar (prone), Fluffy (prone), Kator (prone), carts.

Szogar, the cart you are on has careened past the monster and is still charging up the road. At the moment, you are 20ft away from it, but the driver wants to widen that distance with gusto! The creature seems more bothered by the others, so it has its back to you.

smart thog
2008-04-01, 05:50 PM
Um, Sigmund got a 11 initive. Plus, wheres the map?

Penril
2008-04-02, 03:01 AM
Apologies, Lebaar, you may go

You're 15ft from the beast, having been hurled to the right hand side of the road.

((I've got a map, but I've no idea how to put it into the posts :smallfrown: ))

Zyks
2008-04-02, 09:03 AM
use something like photobucket to upload it, the use {IMG}hyperlink{/IMG} replacing { with [ and the hyperlink with a the link straight to the picture

smart thog
2008-04-06, 05:08 PM
Let me see. What are you?

[Spoiler] Knowledge nature check [roll0] [/Spoiler

Lebaar stands up and moves over to fluffy, who he helps up

lordsigmund
2008-04-16, 07:11 AM
Szogar

Szogar gets up off his back on the wagon and dusts himself off. Sighing, he closes his eyes and concentrates for a second. Rising slightly off the floor, the wagon speeds off, leaveing him hanging in the air above where it had been.

OOC - used my Fly SLA and made a 5 ft move up, ready to move back to the others on my next turn