PDA

View Full Version : -Mage-Bane Warrior [FC]-

Deathtouched
2008-02-12, 09:23 PM
Mage-Bane Warrior
Spellcasters wield some of the most powerful forces in existence, and some use their powers for destruction. As a precaution against these rogue mages, special training camps for elite fighters were created. The warriors trained in these camps develop special anti-magical skills that protect them from spells. As a side effect from learning so much about the ways spells work, the warriors also gain supernatural abilities that aid them in battle. Some of the warriors become mage hunters, while others become the protectors of towns. These anti-magical fighters are known as Mage-Bane Warriors.

Alignment: Any
HD: d10
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str)
Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier
Special: Battle Magic: the Mage-Bane Warrior gains supernatural abilities that harm his enemies.

Mage-Bane Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Trained Mind +2, Energy Protection 2

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Energy Protection 4

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Battle Magic: Deafen

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Magic Resistant 5

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Trained Mind +4, Energy Protection 6

7th|
+7/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Battle Magic: Stun

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|-

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Energy Protection 8

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Truest Sight, Magic Resistant 10

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Trained Mind +6, Battle Magic: Weaken

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Energy Protection 10

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|-

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Battle Magic: Blind

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Dispelling Strike, Magic Resistant 15, Energy Protection 12

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Trained Mind +8

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|-

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Battle Magic: Blast, Energy Protection 14

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Channeled Dispel, Magic Resistant 20, Energy Protection 16 [/table]

Mage-Bane Warrior Abilities

Trained Mind (Ex) - at level 1, the Mage-Bane Warrior has begun training his mind against magical influence. He gets a +2 bonus on all Will saves against mind-influencing spells and spell-like abilities. The bonus is increased by 2 at levels 6, 11, and 16, to +8 at level 16. The bonus stacks with other bonuses to Will saves.

Energy Protection (Ex): - at level 1, the Mage-Bane Warrior has begun learning how to protect himself from magical damage. He has resistance 2 against all five energy types (acid, cold, electric, fire, sonic). The resistance is increased by 2 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and 20, to resistance 16 at level 20.

Battle Magic: Deafen (Su): - at level 4, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns how to use battle magic to deafen his enemies. As a full round action, he can completely deafen any one creature within 50 ft that fails a Fortitude saving roll with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Mage-Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier. Duration is 1d4 rounds. The ability is usable 1/day, but gains additional uses every four levels past level 4, to 5/day at level 20.

Magic Resistant (Ex): - at level 5, the Mage-Bane Warrior begins to learn how to resist magic. He gains +5 Spell Resistance. The Spell Resistance increases by 5 at levels 10, 15, and 20, to 20 SR at level 20. The SR stacks with SR from other sources.

Battle Magic: Stun (Su): - at level 7, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns how to use battle magic to stun his enemies. As a full round action, he can stun any one creature within 50 ft that fails a Fortitude saving roll with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Mage- Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier. Duration is 1d4 rounds. The ability is usable 1/day, but gains additional uses every four levels after level 7, to 4/day at level 20.

Truest Sight (Ex): - at level 10, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns to see through magical concealment. He may ignore the miss chance given by spells or spell-like abilities on his target.

Battle Magic: Weaken (Su): - at level 11, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns how to use battle magic to weaken his enemies. As a full round action, he may weaken by 2 Str damage to any one creature within 50 ft that fails a Fortitude saving roll with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Mage-Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier. The creature continues to weaken by 2 Str damage until the round when it is able to make the Fortitude saving roll. Duration is 1d4 rounds, unless negated. The Str damage is temporary. The ability is usable 1/day, but gains additional uses every four levels after level 11, to 3/day at level 20.

Battle Magic: Blind (Su): - at level 14, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns how to use battle magic to blind his enemies. As a full round action, he may blind any one creature within 50 ft that fails a Fortitude saving roll with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Mage-Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier. Duration is 1d4 rounds. The ability is usable 1/day, but gains additional uses every four levels past level 4, to 2/day at level 20.

Dispelling Strike (Ex): - at level 15, the Mage-Bane Warrior's attacks become anti-magical. His attacks ignore AC bonuses from spells and spell-like abilities. As a full round action, he may attempt to hit a creature and if he is successful the creature is subjected to the effects of a targeted Greater Dispel Magic. The caster level check for the Dispel is 1d20 + Mage-Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier.

Battle Magic: Blast (Su): - at level 18, the Mage-Bane Warrior learns how to use battle magic to form a powerful attack. As a full round action, he may hit any one creature within 50 ft with a bolt of force that does 10d6 magical damage if he succeeds on a ranged touch attack. The creature hit by the blast must also make a Fortitude saving roll with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Mage-Bane Warrior's level + his Wisdom Modifier or be knocked prone and stunned for 1d6 rounds. The ability is usable 1/day.

Channeled Dispel (Ex): - at level 20, the Mage-Bane Warrior is able to channel the magic from his Dispelling Strikes to aid himself. Each time he successfully dispels a spell or spell-like effect using his Dispelling Strike he gains 5 temporary hit points for each spell level of the spell that was dispelled. Each time he successfully dispels, he may replace his old temporary hits points with the new ones. The duration of the temporary hit points is 1 minute.

EDIT: Okay, so how's this? Does it look good? seems a little too much like the warlock's for my liking.
PS: This class could not have been made this far or this well without the helpful and well-thought-out suggestions of brian c. Thank you brian c. :smallsmile:

JakStone
2008-02-12, 09:59 PM
I like this class a great deal on first read through, though I think it could benifit from some improvements.

First of all, you need to fill out levels 2 and 3. If you're starting at level one and you don't gain anything new your first 2 levels, you're not going to be happy. I'd also recommend filling in levels 9, 13, 17, and 19 - I personally dislike empty levels, but that's somewhat of a design preference.

Also, drop it's skill points to 2/level, like a fighter, or it's hd to d8 - both at once, plus special abilities, is a bit to much.

1. Should the Energy Resistance (all) progress to 12 at level 20? Should it be rearranged so that the last addition is at level 20?
I'm in favor of rearranging it so the last is at level 20. Plus, that will allow you to fill in the empty levels. Also, i'd boost it to 15 at level 20 - I don't think a 20th level character with that level of energy resistance would be at all unbalancing.

2. Do the Trained Mind, Energy Protection, and Magic Resistant bonuses work well together?

Yes. I'd actually boost magic resistant - as it, a caster won't have much trouble overcoming this SR. Generally, 5+level gives spells cast by an equal level caster a 25% chance of failing, and 10+level gives them a 50% chance.

4. Should the Dispelling Strike be a Greater Dispel, or should it stay how it is? I'd make it a greater dispel, and clarify that it functions as the targeted dispel function of dispel magic.

5. Should Blast be more damaging and less stunning? Should there be a ranged touch attack, and if so, what should the attack be?
I'd make it a ranged touch attack (not sure what you mean by what should the attack be - ranged touch attacks are just BAB + dex) usable within 60ft as a standard action (basically, a standard ray effect). the stun is fine, though 1d4 rounds would be better, and knocking the target prone is pretty powerful - perhaps drop stunning to 1d4 and knocking the target prone altogether, and make it usable 3/day

6. What would be a good ability for level 20? Would some kind of magic devouring or destroying effect be good? (Blast was originally the lvl 20 capstone ability)
I'd go with something along the lines of the warlocks devour magic (gain hp) or voracious dispelling (deals damage) or, perhaps, a dispel magic that also causes the target to lose one of his highest level spell slots or spells prepared. Don't be afraid to make this ability usable multiple times per day or at will (without the spell slot loss, if it's at will) - as a 20th level ability, it wouldn't be overly unbalanced.

Deathtouched
2008-02-13, 08:36 AM
I know that some levels need to be filled but how am i supposed to fill them? And how am i supposed to rearranged the Energy Resistance to cover the blank levels? for 10 at lvl 20, it would have to go up on the same levels as SR. And i dont quite get what you said on SR: 10+level gives spells a 50% chance of failing? How is 50% a bad thing? And it progresses to 20 already, so what's the problem? Anyways, for Blast, the knockdown/stun doesnt need to be changed because of the low-ish damage. That was the idea anyways. And its only usable 1/day because that's the ability progression, 5/4/3/2/1. If I change it to 3/day, it will throw the whole alignment out of whack. why would you get 3/day of knOckdown/stun, but only 2/day of simple blindness? I'd basically have to increase the uses for every Battle Magic ability. And that means the progression, extra use/4 levels, wouldn't work anymore. I guess it would be cool to have the ability more than once, but this is a "non-caster-ish" class. It isn'r supposed to have a lot of special abilities. :smallannoyed:
I'll do a devour magic ability for 20 since you say thats a good idea, but, if you can, could you explain your other comments a little more?
I get what you said about Resistance though, sorta, the progression would be weird though.
Also, the problem with dispelling strike being Greater Dispel is that the roll would be 1d20 + 15-20 level + Wis Modifier. Even if you take the Wis out, that still means the lowest would be about 20. And its versus like 10 + spellcasters level, correct? So even if the spellcaster was level 20, the DC would only be 30 tops, hmm...Actually, if I take the Wis out, only 1/2 of the Dispels would break through a level 20 defense, plus the Wis means that most would break through, the highest being 40 something. Guess that would work.