PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Ye Olde Men



lotofsnow
2008-02-13, 09:40 AM
The small wagon train stretches along New North Road, the toll highway winding from Bartleby Grand to the ancient Ghostwood. The wagons are identical to common covered wagons used to ship goods and people across the country. Identical, except for odd superfluous planks lashed to each axle.

Before you have the opportunity to examine this structural anomaly further, the same short man from the Inn, who introduces himself as Bernard, assigns you to a covered wagon. “May wanna git 'er in der,” he explains, “She's open'er up soon.”

Settling into the wagon, you don't get much time to wonder who “she” is, as a clap of thunder rocks your seat and torrential rain begins drumming off the the canvas above your heads. The constant rain and the occasional clap of thunder make conversation impossible. Instead, you settle in to your seat for the trip of unknown duration and take the opportunity to examine your fellows

Welcome. The wagon seats 8 (oddly enough) and those 8 just so happen to be everyone in this party (strange how things work out like that, huh?). Take this opportunity to describe your character, what you're wearing, feeling, expressions, etc. If you want to expend the effort, you can try to yell over the rain and thunder. If someone is yelling at you, just give me some time to write what was heard through the storm before you respond. I wouldn't recommend casting any spells.

I'll wait to continue until after everyone has posted here, that way we can make sure everyone is ready for the adventure.

Oh, and please tell me where you are sitting. The seats are essentially long boards nailed to the side of the wagon. So 1,3,5,7 face 2,4,6,8.
Front of the wagon
1 (Karthan) 2 (Rane)
3 (Mikootaktoo) 4 (Iv)
5 (Jules) 6 (Astoral)
7 (Cog) 8 (Tel)
Back of the wagon.

JeminiZero
2008-02-13, 10:18 AM
Jules

A young man, barely out of boyhood sits near the middle of the wagon. He wears clean white robes with blue trimmings over his polished armor, and a brown cloth backpack rests on his knees. A wooden holy symbol hangs around his neck, giving him the appearance of a priest of some sort.

He is a simple looking man, with pale skin, and short black hair parted down the middle. But his bright green eyes gleam with intensity, betraying the fact, that he knows far more than he lets on.

He glances around at his new colleagues, silently noting what he sees, but showing no expression that betray his thoughts.

Well, looks like I made the cut. Wow, I almost can't believe I'm actually out here. Maybe I'll get to see all those monsters, that I've only so far read about!


OOC: I'll take seat 5.

Agthorr
2008-02-13, 10:23 AM
Mikootaktoo introduces himself as he hefts himself into the wagon with his crossbow, "Miktootaktoo be my name, but you can call me`Mik' if it pleases you." His accent is a bit foreign, reminiscent of the speech of sailors down at the wharf. His hair is cut short and his tight-fitting clothes reveal a muscled physique. He looks a bit familiar--you may have seen him working as a bouncer at a local tavern. He carries a full-looking backpack on his shoulders, and a crossbow swings from his hip. On his belt are two small pouches.

Mikootaktoo takes seat #3. When the rain starts, he exclaims, "Curse this bloody thrice-damned racket! I cannot even hear meself think!".

Zyks
2008-02-13, 10:28 AM
Karthan

Sitting towards the front of the cart is a short broad figure. It's quite easy to tell he's a dwarf from his basic shape, and the thick dark eyebrows. Unfortunately (at least in terms of identification) these eyebrows and the eyes beneath them are all of the figure that can be seen. He is entirely clad in black cloth, and rather well armed. A curved, machete like knife hangs at his waist, with a hand crossbow hanging on the other side. a number of balanced throwing daggers are strapped into the belt, and a short blade is slung up-side down on his back.

His eyes are closed, and he seems to be thinking quietly, almost meditating. His hands are on his knees, and he sits with good posture.

I'll be at number 1
also, anyone whos played assassins creed will know what I mean by up-side down short blade on his back

dual_wielder
2008-02-13, 10:39 AM
A tall, well-built man with short, black hair shaved down to stubble. He sits across from the man with the intense eyes, noting the holy symbol and chuckling to himself. "This ought to be a fun group. Perhaps this holy man will save us from the rain with his divine miracles..." he thinks to himself. He chuckles again, and nods warmly to the cleric across from him. He looks around the wagon, looking at each member of the group, his eyes lingering on the darkly-clad dwarf. "A fun group indeed..."

H Savvy
2008-02-13, 12:20 PM
Cog

A small, slim warforged, armored in gleaming silver plates walks up to the wagon. It wears no clothing, and carries no belongings other than a small traveler's backpack and a round steel shield. Quiet and contemplative, the warforged seems almost lost in thought.

Climbing into the wagon, Cog takes the open seat at the back of the wagon .[ooc seat 7] He notes his companions with a half-hearted attempt at interest, but they are peoples, and they all look more or less the same as the others he has encountered. Silent and still, Cog settles into the service of yet another mercenary company.

He begins to meditate, silently focusing his mind and practicing what control he has worked hard to learn over his still largely mysterious powers. He focuses his mind, seeking out the parts of his consciousness that make him special, gaining psionic focus, and then expending it, over and over again. To an observer, he would appear to be doing nothing at all, unless their sharp and observant eyes noted an almost imperceptible pulsing in the light of his eyes.

Sucrose
2008-02-13, 02:50 PM
Tel

A rather young man, in brown cape and hat, climbs in directly across from the warforged (seat 8). His cape is moth-ridden, and his leather armor is beaten up, though the chain links over it are both well-fitted and shiny. He carries a large sword on his back, its hilt unadorned, but well-crafted. His hair is a mess of auburn, and his green eyes look positively joyous.

As he settles in, he waves politely at the rest of the people in the wagon, and then turns to watch the outside thunderstorm.

TwoCents
2008-02-13, 05:35 PM
Iv Lluildinruraquekzik (and Imskelarsamthar)

"Aeiii!" A small person swathed in robes leapt into the wagon. Topping out at slightly above 3 feet, she was able to stand upright in the middle of the wagon as she looked around at the others. "Greetings, fellow travellers. I am honored to join you in this our first day of employ despite the unfortunate flooding which threatens to wash all life before it but as we are provided with this magnificent shelter from the importunate rainstorm Iv Lluildinruraquekzik greets you and hopes that you will welcome her and her companion who is called Imskelarsamthar and perhaps we might sit there?"

The fact that no one could actually hear a word she said seemed not to matter one bit, for she did not wait for a response. With a bow to the others, the gnome, as she now revealed herself to be, hopped onto the bench at seat 4 and pulled back her hood. Her gear was well made and very clean, but had seen some wear. Her cloak had been carefully mended by an inexpert hand. She carried a sword almost as large as she was, and as she sat on the bench she pulled a bow out of her gear and began to dry it off.

Sucrose
2008-02-13, 06:20 PM
Tel

Barely able to make out the loudest of her yells, Telafor smiles at the short, animated traveler.

She's even happier than me to be here. No doubt that I'd be gettin' an earful if there weren't this storm. Truly, this day is full of blessings.

Edited for typoes

Daryk
2008-02-13, 07:24 PM
Rane

A well muscled wood elf with dark hair and a grim look that warred with a smile at the corners of his mouth quietly took the last seat just as the rain began to fall. Both his bow and his sword were longer than the elf, but both were clearly well maintained. The studs on his armor had a matte finish of some kind that swallowed light, but otherwise appeared normal. A buckler adorned one side of his back pack, while a quiver the other. He swept his gaze over the others while the din of the rainstorm drowned any thought of conversation.

Looks like I'm sitting next to the gnome... :smallwink:

lotofsnow
2008-02-14, 07:58 AM
The rain continues well into the evening. The roaring on the roof eventually turns into a patter and then a trickle.

The wagon jerks to a stop. A brief moment brings Bernard's head poking through the wagon's entrance:

"C'mon out 'ere," he commands before disappearing again.

Outside the wagon, the sun sits just above the horizon, hazy in the after-rain gloom. The Grand Marches stretch flat in every direction but one, a lush green except for the gray gravel line of New North Road.

A low hill rises from the plain in front of you. Small, temporary, two-person tents circle the crest, creating a stark white rampart in contrast to the flat land for miles.

The occupants of the other five wagons mill about, stretching their legs. A few strike up conversations among their wagon-mates, but the majority stand in silence, basking in their new freedom from canvas prisons.

You see Bernard, with a small group, moving from wagon to wagon. He says a few words and hands out some parcels.

"Ok, now pair yerselfs up," he instructs when arriving at your wagon. "Take dis, an' find a shelter. Two o'yous per one. Tryin' build o'fire if ye want," he adds with a chuckle, handing each of you a small mess kit filled with 3 trail rations.

The small man turns abruptly, making his way to the remaining wagons.

JeminiZero
2008-02-14, 08:22 AM
Jules

Jules hops down from the Wagon and accepts a set of rations.

Pair up eh? This must be the "Buddy system" I've heard about.

He looks over his new colleagues once again, performing a few quick calculations as to which one might make an ideal pair, at least for the night.

On one hand, I would prefer someone sturdy who could stand between me and potential danger, he thinks to himself as he eyes Cog and Tel.

On the other, perhaps someone of a slightly more intellectual bent, may suit a thinker such as myself, he reasons as he looks over Mik.

However, there is something to be said about having ample space in a small 2 person tent, he considers as his eyes settle on the small Iv.

He makes up his mind and approaches the gnome, "Evening Iv. I'm Jules Helix. Would you mind sharing a tent with a humble healer?" he asks in a calm, straightforward manner.

Agthorr
2008-02-14, 10:05 AM
Before Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo asks, "Do you have any drink? Man cannot depend on food alone for his nourishment, and a good rum would hit the spot right about now..."

Once Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo turns to the black-clad dwarf and says in Dwarvish, "Greetings. In my youth, I once saw humans dressed as you in a distant land, but never a dwarf. Let us share that tent over there and exchange stories.". Mikootaktoo points at a tent, then begins to walks toward it. Calling over his shoulder, he asks in Common, "What was your name again?"

(OOC: I'll put non-Common speech in italics)

TwoCents
2008-02-14, 10:18 AM
Iv


The rain continues well into the evening. The roaring on the roof eventually turns into a patter and then a trickle.

Once it became obvious that this was to be a long trip, Iv climbed down from the bench, pulled a blanket from her pack, and took a nap under the seat. She awoke when the thunderous rain stopped, and carefully clambered out, trying, and mostly succeeding, to avoid smacking any of the others in the legs. She carefully folded and put away her blanket and then clambered back up onto the bench, sitting crosslegged and looking around at the others.

Iv opened the front of her robes and loosened the armor beneath, pulling out a leather pouch. Carefully opening the top, she whispered into the bag a few Gnomish sentences, <Come out of there, little one. It is dry now, and I will keep you warm as always. Show yourself.> With a faint rustle, a dramatically patterned desert viper* emerged and wrapper itself around the gnome's wrist.

The gnome smiled shyly at the others and announced, "This is my beloved friend Imskelarsamthar, who has traveled with me from our home in the far lands and serves to comfort my heart when the sky opens upon my head and drowns me with the tears of the gods."

"Have any of you other noble sirs knowledge of this Rorgund to whom I have pledged my sword? I have been newly hired and know not what is to come but is it possible that one of you learned gentle--" Iv's patter faltered for a second as she looked at Cog, but she quickly continued "er, gentlemen might know something of our destination?" She waited to hear what the others might say, hoping the journey would be interrupted by some friendly conversation.

*OOC: Since "Tiny viper" isn't particularly specific, I was thinking her familar is a small Diamondback rattler.



The wagon jerks to a stop. A brief moment brings Bernard's head poking through the wagon's entrance:

"C'mon out 'ere," he commands before disappearing again.

Outside the wagon, the sun sits just above the horizon, hazy in the after-rain gloom. The Grand Marches stretch flat in every direction but one, a lush green except for the gray gravel line of New North Road.

A low hill rises from the plain in front of you. Small, temporary, two-person tents circle the crest, creating a stark white rampart in contrast to the flat land for miles.

The occupants of the other five wagons mill about, stretching their legs. A few strike up conversations among their wagon-mates, but the majority stand in silence, basking in their new freedom from canvas prisons.

You see Bernard, with a small group, moving from wagon to wagon. He says a few words and hands out some parcels.

"Ok, now pair yerselfs up," he instructs when arriving at your wagon. "Take dis, an' find a shelter. Two o'yous per one. Tryin' build o'fire if ye want," he adds with a chuckle, handing each of you a small mess kit filled with 3 trail rations.

The small man turns abruptly, making his way to the remaining wagons.

"Ah, noble sir?" Iv scampered after Barnard, making surprisingly good time for someone with such short legs. "This one who is known as Iv Lluildinruraquekzik wishes to know if we are to set up our tents in a certain area or are we to choose that which pleases us each to another and if this one is to use her own tent which is a fine desert rider's tent of great beauty and meaning or is she to use one of those boring white tents like unto those over there," here she made a contemptuous flap of her hand at the circle of tents on the hill, "and if she is to use them where is she to find one to use or is this an exercise in reconnaissance and recovery which she would be happy to begin at any moment as a demonstration of her abilities to overcome difficulties?" Despite the flow of words she kept up with Barnard if he continued moving and seemed only slightly out of breath at the end as she waited to hear if there was a response.

Edit Note to self: write, edit, post, then play in the backyard with the gleeful snowy children.



He makes up his mind and approaches the gnome, "Evening Iv. I'm Jules Helix. Would you mind sharing a tent with a humble healer?" he asks in a calm, straightforward manner.

Iv made a deep flourishing bow and then straightened, smiling up at him with twinkling eyes, "I would be honored, noble sir, and respect the bravery of one who volunteers to share a tent with one such as I."

lotofsnow
2008-02-14, 10:43 AM
Bernard halts his brisk pace and turns to glare (despite his low height) down upon the gnome, an angry scowl twisting his face.

"One thing you'n have ta learn if you wanna make it here. That's to do what n'when I say. If I tell you to jump, you say how high, sir. Not, 'if I had a ladder and some spring shoes I could reach meh mehmeh meh meh' (he says this in poor imitation of the gnomes voice). Now, get back'n dere an'pick a pair and find a tent on yonder hill."

With that, he turns away and continues his way among the remaining wagons.

JeminiZero
2008-02-14, 11:02 AM
Jules




Iv made a deep flourishing bow and then straightened, smiling up at him with twinkling eyes, "I would be honored, noble sir, and respect the bravery of one who volunteers to share a tent with one such as I."


Jules gave a gentle smile and made a simple bow in return. What a cheerful little gnome. I think we shall get on quite well.

Jules gestured towards the standing plain looking tents and said, "You seem to know a lot more about tents than I do, so I'll give you the honour of selecting one for us."

dual_wielder
2008-02-14, 11:19 AM
Astoral

"Haha, who ever said I didn't have a sense of irony..."

Astoral approaches the young cleric, full of mock civility and proper manners.

Excuse me my fine sir, but I noticed the holy symbol hanging from your neck and I would love to share a tent with a man of such strong faith. I would sleep quite soundly indeed knowing that your omnipotent deity is watching over us, making it his (or her I suppose) personal duty to safeguard us through the night. What my candied words are trying to convey is, well... Would you share a tent with me?

He bows low to the holyman, rising with a big smile spreading across his face.

Bluff check for the heavy sarcasm maybe? Just in case.
Bluff:[roll0]
Yes, that's my modifier. Thank you Beguiling Influence :smallbiggrin:

Zyks
2008-02-14, 11:29 AM
Karthan


Once Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo turns to the black-clad dwarf and says in Dwarvish, "Greetings. In my youth, I once saw humans dressed as you in a distant land, but never a dwarf. Let us share that tent over there and exchange stories.". Mikootaktoo points at a tent, then begins to walks toward it. Calling over his shoulder, he asks in Common, "What was your name again?"



Sure, I don't mind sharing a tent with you. I'm Karthan, and it's not surprising that you havent seen my kind like this. I'm a sort of outcast, and yet not. I don't follow the traditional fighting ways of my kind, and have voluntarily left their ranks to find my own style. I'm much more comfortable in the shadows with only my skill to defend me than up front with an axe.

Karthan speaks in perfect common, with only a very slight hint of the usual dwarvish accent. He takes the rations and glides across into one of the tents.

lotofsnow
2008-02-14, 11:30 AM
To Astoral: Just to clarify, are you talking to Jules, who is dressed like a cleric but has already agreed to room with Iv, or to Rane, who is actually a cleric but doesn't really look the part?

Sucrose
2008-02-14, 11:34 AM
Tel

Climbing out of the wagon, Tel sees most of the others pair up. Looking around, he sees only one more person without a buddy: the warforged.

What a strange golem; haven't seen anything like him before. Seems friendly enough, though.

Gathering his chutzpah, Tel walks toward Cog, and extends a hand.
"Er...sir? My name's Tel Skytter. Care to room together?"

dual_wielder
2008-02-14, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm, didn't notice that the actual cleric wasn't dressed like a cleric. Make that speech address to Rane I suppose, and we can assume Astoral somehow knew he was a cleric

H Savvy
2008-02-14, 12:52 PM
As the journey wore on in hours, Cog opened his pack and took out a few short lengths of different color wire, and began braiding them into complex patterns, then unbraiding them and braiding them again into a new pattern.


The wagon jerks to a stop. A brief moment brings Bernard's head poking through the wagon's entrance:

"C'mon out 'ere," he commands before disappearing again.

The others emerge from the long voyage, many of them stretching and yawning. Cog climbs out and simply stands and waits for his next orders.


You see Bernard, with a small group, moving from wagon to wagon. He says a few words and hands out some parcels.

"Ok, now pair yerselfs up," he instructs when arriving at your wagon. "Take dis, an' find a shelter. Two o'yous per one. Tryin' build o'fire if ye want," he adds with a chuckle, handing each of you a small mess kit filled with 3 trail rations.

Cog looks in confusion at the rations that were thrust into his hands. He hands them back to Bernard. "I do not eat." is all he says.


Gathering his chutzpah, Tel walks toward Cog, and extends a hand.
"Er...sir? My name's Tel Skytter. Care to room together?"

"Tel." Like debrief, Cog thinks. With the red hair. "I am called Cog"

He stares at the man's hand curiously.

"I will share a tent with you. I do not sleep, but if you need your armor repaired or polished, it is- was my specialty. If not, I will keep watch all night."

TwoCents
2008-02-14, 12:52 PM
Iv


Bernard... turns away and continues his way among the remaining wagons.

The gnome's eyes narrowed. She muttered her clan's motto in a harsh whisper, <Don't get mad; get even> and glared at Bernard's back for a few seconds. Before the irritated soldier could snarl at her again, Iv spun around and tramped back to the group. As she walked, a grin slowly spread across her face.



Jules gestured towards the standing plain looking tents and said, "You seem to know a lot more about tents than I do, so I'll give you the honour of selecting one for us."

"Certainly Jules; it would be a honor! Bernard must be saddened by his lack of height as compared to the rest of you Tall Folk, for he seems to feel I should need a ladder or some strange footgear called 'spring shoes', but I will let his anger rest unresponded for now. Since he wishes us to take him literally and denies us the right nor the need to ask for clarity I will happily choose to follow his orders to 'find a shelter' and 'build a fire'. Shall we?" Iv gleefully raced up the hill to pick a tent for herself and the healer.

After she set down her pack within the shelter she commenced collecting everything potentially burnable that wasn't nailed down to make a giant bonfire downwind of her tent. If anyone questioned what she was doing, her response was, "I'm following orders!" She seemed terrifically happy about the whole thing, practically radiating the concept of "Cheerful and Willing Obedience to Authority", and used Bluff and Intimidate as needed to collect flammable items, such as branches, fallen logs, chairs, desks, tables, or anything else that might make a good bonfire.

If (when) Bernard himself arrived to interfere, she insisted she was in the right, "But noble sir, you specifically told me to 'tryin build a fire if ye want' and I am just following your orders, o most honored general."

Unless stopped by someone in authority (or convinced to stop by one of the squad), once the heap of burnables was prepared, she used Prestidigation to dry a mound of sticks for tinder, poured some oil on the base logs and started the fire. She continued to tend it, since even with dry tinder to start and some oil for a help it would need care and would probably smoke a bit.



OOC: "Best available tent" is a) in a dry spot away from puddles and drain beds, b) on the dry side of the hill if there is one, and c) on the lee side of the hill.

Building the fire:
Bluff: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]

Starting the fire:
Survival: [roll2]

If the initial attempt fails, she will Take 10 or Take 20 to get the thing to catch fire.

Edit Wow! She collected one heckuva pile of stuff there. Too bad this baby won't light. Taking 10 (or 20) it is then.

lotofsnow
2008-02-14, 01:14 PM
Iv hustles to and fro searching for items necessary for her revenge. Unfortunately, the camp is rather sparce, it being temporary. No tables, chairs or desks are to be found. However, she does accumulate a large pile using all of the wet wood allotted to each tent. With a quick mutter providing her with dried tinder and a splash of oil upon the pile, the fire ignites and slowly, but surely begins to consume the entire pile.

The other mercenaries making their way to their tents, realizing they have no wood left for them, glare at the gnome in anger. A few whisper to each other and make threatening gestures before retreating to their tents to much upon their meals.

Bernard, seeing the massive bonfire, chuckles quietly to himself before announcing:

"We move again a'dawn. Best ya be ready by then."

So saying, he turns back to the lead wagon. Shortly, a small plume of smoke can be seen emerging from a stovepipe in the roof.

Sucrose
2008-02-14, 02:43 PM
"Tel." Like debrief, Cog thinks. With the red hair. "I am called Cog"

He stares at the man's hand curiously.

"I will share a tent with you. I do not sleep, but if you need your armor repaired or polished, it is- was my specialty. If not, I will keep watch all night."
Tel

Telafor holds his hand out for half a second more, then self-consciously draws it back.

"Er, right. Well, it's nice to meet you, Cog. We can discuss what we're gonna do when we get a tent; let's find one."

With that, Tel walks off toward the encampment.

H Savvy
2008-02-14, 03:18 PM
Cog follows the human up the hill as they seek a tent to Tel's liking. This human was a strange one, to be sure, but he seemed kind enough. Far kinder, at least, than many humans Cog had encountered in the past. Humans who seemed angry at his very existence, as though he were a mockery of their lives.

No, if he was to be paired with a people, this human would be a pleasant enough companion.

Daryk
2008-02-14, 07:19 PM
Astoral

"Haha, who ever said I didn't have a sense of irony..."

Astoral approaches the young cleric, full of mock civility and proper manners.

Excuse me my fine sir, but I noticed the holy symbol hanging from your neck and I would love to share a tent with a man of such strong faith. I would sleep quite soundly indeed knowing that your omnipotent deity is watching over us, making it his (or her I suppose) personal duty to safeguard us through the night. What my candied words are trying to convey is, well... Would you share a tent with me?

He bows low to the holyman, rising with a big smile spreading across his face.


Rane's grim expression won out as the human spoke. Eyeing the human closely, then taking a deliberate look inside his own shirt, the elf made a dismissive gesture and replied, "I think you've mistaken me for someone who cares about your 'state of grace', or whatever you call it, human. Have a tent to yourself if you like. I lóre under the stars."
With that, Rane turned on his heel and marched up the hill to where the gnome was busily tending her bonfire.

JeminiZero
2008-02-14, 08:14 PM
Jules

As soon as Iv had selected a tent, Jules settled in and started to prepare for the night. He unstrapped his armor, and proceeded to give his gear its daily maintainence routine, while leaving Iv to "build a fire" as it were.

When he finally looked up from polishing his armor, he was astounded to see the wood from half the camp gathered in front of his tent and the Gnome setting it ablaze. Jules proceeded to heat up his trail rations by the flame, "Thanks for the fire Iv".

But as he ate his dinner, Jules observed that the other mercenaries were none too happy about having their wood taken from them (by a 3 ft tall gnome no less). When a few of them started to make threatening gestures, Jules broke out in cold sweat. This may be the world's shortest Mercenary career in history.

But eventually the other Mercenaries left them alone, and Jules heaved a sigh of relief.

TwoCents
2008-02-15, 08:28 AM
Iv

Once the fire was blazing merrily, Iv stood in front of it and cried, "I bring you FIRE!" Noticing one of the other mercenaries glaring glumly over at the bonfire, she raced over and invited him to join in the communal blaze. "We must all work together to overcome the enemy and just as one little fire will not give up enough heat to warm even my small bones my sword is not enough to slay our enemies but come and sit together by the fire and be warm! Tell us stories of your prowess for we will all fight together to bring honor, glory and GOLD to Rorgund's Raiders! I am called Iv Lluildinruraquekzik and I am a warrior from the far lands of the True People."

The little gnome continued trying to gather the other mercenaries to join the fire circle until Bernard sent them all to bed.

OOC: No, there will not be any singing of Kumbayah or any of that other nonsense, although if Iv had had any warning that she was hired and about to leave town she would have spent a few of her last coins on a jug of something cheap and strong. Nothing funnier than a drunk gnome barbarian...

Daryk
2008-02-15, 11:01 AM
Rane

As Rane approached the fire, his mood lightened somewhat. The gnome was clearly trying to whip up enthusiasm, and seemed to be having some success.

"...I am called Iv Lluildinruraquekzik and I am a warrior from the far lands of the True People."

"And I am Rane Mistaya, late of the Forest of Autumn, later still of the Ghostwood, and latest of all of Bartleby Grand. I am on the andavanta, as my people say, but will return to the land of my birth someday, ogres be damned," the elf replied seriously.

Andavanta means "long walk", for those who speak elvish.

Sucrose
2008-02-15, 06:28 PM
Tel

After traveling in companionable silence for a while, Telafor finds an empty tent that seems to lack any major holes.

As he sets down his meal rations for later, he spots the smoke of the bonfire out of the corner of his eye. Turning to Cog, he says "Care to see what's going on over there? Might be interesting, or at least entertaining."

dual_wielder
2008-02-15, 11:55 PM
Astoral eyes the bonfire with a twinkle in his eye (although it may just have been the fire being reflected). He walks up to the fire happily, rubbing his hands together to warm them.

And who may I thank for this jolly fire? Just what I needed to lighten my mood. I believe I have just been scolded...

Daryk
2008-02-16, 09:09 AM
Rane

As the human joined the growing circle around the fire, Rane noted his rather more polite demeanor, but kept silent. His years among the Carnaharim had taught the elf to meet hostility with hostility, but the Moonbow was more subtle. Only time would reveal the source of the human's initial hostility, or indeed anything about him. The lack of bow or sword marked him as something less than a warrior in Rane's estimation, yet here he was, a mercenary just the same. Perhaps he was a priest himself, trying to establish the position of his deity in relation to the Seldarine, who wouldn't care anyway. The spiritual affairs of the humans were theirs alone, and generally of no concern to the elves.

Zyks
2008-02-16, 09:12 AM
Karthan

The balck-clad dwarf approaches the fire, and sits down without speaking to anyone.

lotofsnow
2008-02-16, 09:48 AM
Night comes quickly to the Grand Marches. Soon, the snores of the other mercenaries can be heard over the crackling of the bonfire. A few small creatures can be heard fluttering past, both drawn and repelled by the smoke and light.

Among the ashes kicked up by the blaze, a lone snowflake makes its way towards the ground. The heat of the fire makes short work of this pesky nemesis.

The temperature quickly drops, making the great heat of the fire a boon. Yet, before long, the fire settles down as well. With no wood left to feed it, soon the great bonfire becomes a smoldering pile of ash. With its demise, the snowflakes begin to fall freely.

Sorry for no posts yesterday. I was incredibly busy. Feel free to have any conversation or whatever. People tend to get chatty when sitting around a campfire. Don't stay up too late though, since Bernard was pretty adamant about getting on the move at first light

JeminiZero
2008-02-16, 10:51 AM
Jules

Jules spent some time by the fire, quietly listening to the ongoing conversations between his new colleagues. However, he decides to turn in early, as he had to get up before everyone else, to prepare his spells. He crawled into the tent, unfurled his Bedroll, and tried to ignore the chattering crowd just outside the tent.

Not quite used to sleeping rough, but such is the life of adventure I suppose. The crowd is loud, but at least the fire is warm. Although I wonder if it would be easier to sleep away from both. Guess I'll just have to wait for tomorrow night to find out...

Zyks
2008-02-16, 12:03 PM
Karthan

The dwarf retreats to his tent. Removing his array of weapons, he settles down for the night.

Daryk
2008-02-16, 12:05 PM
Rane

Rane watched the others filter off to their rest one by one. As the fire died down, and the temperature dropped, he tightened his cloak. Gathering himself up, he quietly wandered the camp for a bit, taking note of any other elves doing much the same, the warforged, and the watchmen at their posts. Just before midnight, as the snow was falling heavily, the elf quietly asked Lady Moonbow to keep him warm and dry through the next day, and was rewarded with a comfortable warmth throughout his being. Judging the time to be right despite the clouds, Rane proceeded to offer his thanks to the Lady, and contemplate the path that had brought him here. After an hour, his thoughts turned to the deeper lóre.

Rane should have had enough "trance" by 0500, which I believe will be before "first light" being this seems to be the time of year for snow. Outwardly, I don't believe there would be any noticeable difference between his "prayers" and "trance". The spells he has prepared for the day are:
0 Level:
Detect Magic
Purify Food and Drink
Resistance
1st Level:
Endure Elements
Protection From Evil
Domain:
Longstrider

H Savvy
2008-02-16, 12:30 PM
"I would not leave your rations behind. They were assigned to you by our commander. You must not lose them or let them be stolen."

Sucrose
2008-02-16, 07:46 PM
"I would not leave your rations behind. They were assigned to you by our commander. You must not lose them or let them be stolen."

Tel

"Heh, valid point, Cog."

Settling down, Tel breaks off a formerly happy fungal colony growing on the ration, opens up the package, and quickly wolfs down the surprisingly clean-looking hard tack and biscuit.

As he steps outside the tent, Telafor says,
"Now then, what do you say to seeing what all this is about? I dunno if you get curious, but I certainly do."

With that, he walks off to join the gathering around the bonfire.

JeminiZero
2008-02-17, 03:46 AM
Jules

Jules gets up one and a half hours before the crack of dawn, and starts preparing for the journey ahead. He cracks open his spellbook, and memorizes whatever spells he think might be useful. Then he straps on his armor, and packs his bags, and is ready when dawn breaks.

Agthorr
2008-02-17, 08:15 AM
Miktootaktoo, having spent most of his life on a wooden ship, is always a little cautious about all but the smallest fires and spends most of the evening playing with Mudwiggle in the tent. If he can find Bernard, Mikooktaktoo asks, "Can you tell us anything about what be ahead? I must prepare spells in advance, and I may be more useful if I can know to prepare for a single large battle or a couple smaller battles."

In any case Mik turns in to sleep fairly early and awakes an hour before dawn so that he can prepare his spells for the day.

Zyks
2008-02-17, 08:22 AM
Karthan

Like every other dwarf in existance, Karthan sleeps like a log, and snores like a fog horn. He wakes up pretty late, and gets ready quickly, strapping his weaponary back onto himself.

H Savvy
2008-02-17, 11:18 AM
Curious about why the humans found the bonfire so enticing, Cog walked over to the fire and sat by the humans, watching and listening to their stories all night, until one by one, they drifted away and the fire faded.

When all but the night watch were abed, Cog began his evening repair and maintenance ritual (one might almost consider it grooming). Thoroughly searching his armored body for scratches, small dents, and particularly dirty spots, he patiently and efficiently buffed, polished, and renewed his mithral plating. Once he was finished, he carefully polished his shield. Completed with his nightly maintenance, Cog returned to the tent he and Tel had selected, sat quietly in front, and meditated until first light.

lotofsnow
2008-02-17, 11:24 AM
Cog, give me a listen check.

H Savvy
2008-02-17, 11:38 AM
[roll0] (no modifier)

lotofsnow
2008-02-17, 12:03 PM
Cog sits, lost in his meditations, as the snow makes small piles on his metal plates. The creatures look at the strange metal man and sign frantically at each other in the moonlight. Finally, after an apparently heated debate, one of the creatures steps forward.

An observer would see the creature cover his left eye with an open hand. The right eye squints in determination. After just a moment, the creature drops his hand and from its left eye comes a roaring, icy gale. This blizzard envelops the flatfooted warforged.

Ice Blast Damage: [roll0]

OK, the noise of the ice blast brings everyone to alertness. Roll initiative and then I'll complete my surprise round. Cog, you had no idea the attack was coming, so no save this time.

H Savvy
2008-02-17, 12:22 PM
Init:[roll0]

Agthorr
2008-02-17, 12:50 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

(OOC: What time is it?)

lotofsnow
2008-02-17, 01:03 PM
(OOC: What time is it?)

Early still. Say... 4-ish. 2-3 hours before sunrise. Don't worry about fatigue stuff, we'll work it out later. Adrenaline will compensate for any sleeplessness now. Regarding spells, unless you prepared spells the evening before, you still have access to the previous day's selections.

dual_wielder
2008-02-17, 01:15 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Daryk
2008-02-17, 01:31 PM
Rane

Initiative: [roll0]

OOC: When Rane was wandering around before midnight last night, were there no guards posted? That would have at least provoked a discussion between Rane and Cog on that point.

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 01:38 PM
Iv

Initiative: [roll0]

Are all of our tents near each other, or are we scattered among the others? Can we get a map?

Zyks
2008-02-17, 02:04 PM
karthan

[roll0]

lotofsnow
2008-02-17, 06:46 PM
OOC: When Rane was wandering around before midnight last night, were there no guards posted? That would have at least provoked a discussion between Rane and Cog on that point.

Two of the mercenaries were posted, one near the tents and one by the wagons. It is safe to assume they worked on rotating shifts with the other 4 mercenaries.

JeminiZero
2008-02-17, 08:12 PM
Jules

Jules hurriedly grabs his Shield and weapons, as he hears the commotion outside.

initiative: [roll0]

Sucrose
2008-02-17, 11:44 PM
Tel

Tel's eyes snap open at the sound of the gale, and, after flailing around for a second, he grabs his sword, and stands to fight.

OOC: [roll0]

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 09:22 AM
While the first creature blasts away at Cog, a second moves to the remnants of the bonfire and, using its eye blast, quenches the flames, plunging the area into shadowy darkness.

The final creature launches a small javelin at the surprised warforged.

Attack to beat FF AC 16: [roll0]; Damage if it hits: [roll1]

The javelin strikes true, finding a gap in the warforged's armor just between the mithril breastplate and shoulder guard.

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 09:36 AM
A couple things before we start our first combat... you're in your tent, standing, weapons/spell components in hand, but Flat Footed until your turn. Being trained soldiers as you are, you feel no ill effects from sleeping in your armor. If you would like to RP your armor off, be my guest. I don't do death by massive damage, this is a game after all.

All of the tents in the camp are in a giant circle at the crest of the hill. Your four tents are close to each other on the east side.

----------t---t
--------t-------T
------t----------T
-----t-------------T
------t-----------T
--------t--------t
----------t----t

Capital T's are your tents. Red T is Tel & Cog and the enemies. The bonfire is in the circle next to the Dark Orchid T, which is where Iv & Jules reside. There is an enemy there, putting out Iv's fire. Green is Rane & Astoral. Finally, Mikootaktoo & Karthan are in Blue.

Each enemy is no more than 20 feet away, so you should have no problem approaching them with a move action.

Initiative goes thusly:

Karthan
Cog
Mikootaktoo
Astoral
Rane
Lot, of Snow
Iv
Tel
Jules

Just let me know each action you perform, make the rolls, and I'll put everything together after everyone has told me.

Begin!

Zyks
2008-02-18, 09:42 AM
Karthan

The dwarf leaps up, draws his Kukri and dashes out of the tent. Before he leaves the flap, he disappears from the view of mik, becoming invisible. Once out of the tent he keeps moving and watches out.

Moving out of the tent, using ghost step (invisible) and then making a spot check. [roll0]

Zyks
2008-02-18, 09:48 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm woops wrong thread. How to delet posts

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 09:48 AM
Between your spot check result and your dwarven darkvision, you easily make out three tall and pale humanoid figures. You notice their skin and hair seems to reflect the moonlight, but what strikes you the most is their eerily blue eyes. Two figures (one near Cog and one near the quenched bonfire) hold javelins. They all have shields strapped to their backs and wicked looking battleaxes at their hips

JeminiZero
2008-02-18, 09:52 AM
Jules

Jules emerges from the tent and tries to identify the creatures. If the creature type are subject to Dark Knowledge, he will spend a move action to activate Dark Knowledge: Tactics (bonus to attack rolls for all allies within 60 ft). If there are several creature types, he will activate Dark Knowledge for the most common one.
DC 15: +1 to attack rolls
DC 25: +2 to attack rolls

Base Dark Knowledge Roll: [roll0]

Knoweldge Ranks to add:
10 Knowledge Religion (Dark Knowledge: Undead)
8 Knowledge Arcane (Dark Knowledge: Magical Beasts)
8 Knowledge Dungeoneering (Dark Knowledge: Aberrations)
8 Knowledge Planes (Dark Knowledge: Outsiders and Elementals)
8 Knowledge Nature (Archivist of Nature: Giants, Fey)

Next, if any of the creatures threaten him, he will try to take a 5 foot step away from the creature. If he is not being threatened, or after moving away, he will cast bless on himself (+1 to attack rolls and fear saving throws to all allies within 50 ft).

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 10:00 AM
You don't recognize these creatures, Jules. You sense there is something of the north about them, but other than that, they are foreign. They seem human to you, perhaps they are merely part of a northern barbarian tribe.

None threaten you directly. The closest two are approximately 15 feet away. One holds a javelin, the other is armed, but has nothing in hand. Cog is next to you leaking oil out of a wound on his shoulder. He has a dusting of ice on his metal chin and jaw, which looks oddly like a frosty beard.

Agthorr
2008-02-18, 10:13 AM
Mikootaktoo, waking abruptly to the sounds of battle, instinctively casts Mage Armor. He watches Karthan zoom out of the tent and vanish, and decides to quietly make his way to the flap and peer out to see what's going on.

Edit: Removed plans for next round for the excellent reasons that Lot of Snow has pointed out.

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 10:17 AM
Ok, wait to post the next round's action until then, so there's no confusion. I know casting Mage Armor isn't dramatic, but it's still a standard action. Maybe I can make it dramatic in my description.

TwoCents
2008-02-18, 11:41 AM
Iv

Iv rolled out of her bedroll and popped to her feet, glancing back at Jules to make sure he was awake. "Wind and cold. Bad luck for my bow. Then it is time for the sword!" With a grin, she unsheathed her greatsword and quickly left the tent, dodging to her right at the opening (towards the sounds of strife) to leave room for Jules to exit. With her gnomish low light vision, she scanned the area, searching for the enemy.

OOC: Spot check if needed: [roll0]

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 11:50 AM
No spot check needed to see the javelin-brandishing humanoid standing just a few feet away, next to your now extinguished bonfire. Other than that, you don't notice anything in particular.

Daryk
2008-02-18, 12:27 PM
Rane

The sudden commotion snapped Rane out his trance. Recognizing the three Frost Folk from his time living in the Ghostwood, he unlimbered his bow and cried, "Alarm! Frost Folk! Alarm! Raise the camp!" As one of the three turned toward him, the elf drew and fired an arrow.

OOC:
Free action: Raising the alarm.
Move action: Standing up
Free action combined with the Move action: Drawing a weapon (bow).
Free action: Loading a normal arrow
Standard action: Targeting the Frost Folk that isn't carrying a javelin.
To hit: [roll0]
Damage if it hits: [roll1]

H Savvy
2008-02-18, 01:48 PM
Cog, wounded but calm, turns and adopts a fighting stance. His eyes burn intensely red and glow with a deep inner light. A blade of brilliant crimson energy grows from his empty right hand. With a swift, practiced motion, he snaps his arm forward, propelling the shining blade with his mind at the creature that attacked him.

Free action: 5 foot step back towards the side of the tent.
Move Action: manifest mind blade
Standard Action: Attack on the creature that threw the javelin.
[roll0] Damage if it hits: [roll1]

H Savvy
2008-02-18, 01:58 PM
Score! Natural 20!
Rolling to confirm crit:
[roll0]

Sucrose
2008-02-18, 03:12 PM
Tel

At the sight of his bunkmate's injuries, Tel's mind sharpens into an implement of destruction. He draws his sword back parallel to his shoulder into Form I, the stance of pure aggression. Charging toward the second enemy in the tent, Tel focuses entirely on running it through.

Nobody injures my allies. I won't let them.

OOC: I know Tel's dialogue isn't that clever, but I figure that he isn't in the mood for witty banter. They woke him up, injured his bunkmate, and are threatening his life. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!:smallbiggrin: Anyway, on to combat actions.

Swift action: Activate Punishing Stance (-2 AC, +1d6 to all melee attacks)
Move action to reach the enemy that Cog isn't engaging.
Standard Action to use Steely Strike (-4 AC to all opponents not targeted by this attack, +4 to attack against this target)
2 points of Power Attack (-2 to hit, +4 to damage)
[roll0]
[roll1]
Present AC: 14 (10 vs. all but one)
If at any point Tel is required to make a Will save, he'll try to resist with Moment of Perfect Mind instead, allowing a +7 bonus rather than his usual +0.

Edit: Well, looks like I'll be getting to see the full downside of those penalties shortly.:smalleek:

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 03:43 PM
Pst... there are no enemies in the tent. They are outside, about 20ft away. Still within reach though, so it doesn't matter much.

dual_wielder
2008-02-18, 06:46 PM
Astoral bursts out of his tent at the sound of commotion. He looks around, assessing the scene with a seasoned eye. He sees the enemies and draws his mace angrily. He channels his eldritch through his arm into the blunt weapon with a moment of concentration. He then moves towards the nearest enemy and attacks.

I'll attack the one at the fire if I can get there. If not, then whatever is most easily reached. I'll attack using Hideous Blow.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Hideous Blow Damage:[roll2]

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 07:20 PM
I'll take my turn and finish the round shortly. My daughter is sleeping in my arms and it is difficult to type one-handed.

TwoCents
2008-02-18, 08:38 PM
Iv

OOC: I apparently misunderstood. As I read the situation, Iv could

Move action: Get up
Free action as part of move: Draw a weapon (in this case, the great sword)
Standard action: Move again to leave the tent.
This left her at the end of the round just outside the tent ready to act in the next round.

If, in fact, Iv still has a standard action left in this round, then she will Cast A Spell!

With a whisper to the wind <Guide my aim, my ancestors, and let me strike this beast to the heart>, Iv cast True Strike and readied her sword to attack in the next round.

lotofsnow
2008-02-18, 10:41 PM
The warforged staggers under the unexpected impact of the thrown javelin, striking the living construct with such force that it shakes loose some of the icicles that collect around his joints. Cog begins to rise, his eyes, normally the flat, cold orbs of a mechanical man, now burn with anger-fueled psionic fire.

The flutter of a tent flap announces the arrival of a denizen of the deep turned master of the dark. The hidden pitfalls of his mountain home make no more noise than Karthan. He steps aside, assessing the field of battle. Hands twitch in martial eagerness at hidden blades among his dark vestments.

Cog, now standing at his full height, a marvel of a man, a masterpiece of a machine, with silent determination, draws the remnants of the projectile from the weak kink between his chest and arm. With the javelin shard comes splinters of wood and drops of oil. The fire of his eyes suddenly engulfs both hand and spear, and, with a mighty motion, he flings the weapon back at its owner. The projectile spins through the moonlight, spilling oil and psionic flame, until connecting with the left arm of the strange humanoid.

The creature screams. It's screams are inhuman, like the sound of falling icicles. Psionic fire momentarily engulfs the protruding javelin, but it is soon quenched, leaving nothing but stains of crimson flowing down the wounded arm. The javelin is no more, seemingly consumed by the strange fire that surrounded it.

The dwarf's tent flap moves again, this time to reveal a disembodied eye. Inside the tent, the burly sea-wizard, legs widespread as if balancing on the rocking deck of man of war, peers intently at the battlefield. A strange aura surrounds him, as if a transparent suit of armor lay itself upon his great shoulders, shimmering and vanishing into Mikootaktoo's tanned skin.

In contrast, another tent's flap is torn open. Astoral enters the fray. His anger, like the machine's, is visibly apparent; however, unlike the luminous fury of Cog, the human's ferocity seems to absorb the light. His hand and mace are cloaked in darkest night and that, coupled with the sheer viciousness of his visage, causes the creature near the fire to bring up his javelin in defense as the warlock bears down on it. The creatures lashes out at the last moment and both combatants' attacks connect, the javelin striking true and Astoral's swing glancing off the enemy's arm.

To see the mind of most elves in trance is to see the summer morning and to hear the chorus of songbirds chanting to the sun. To see the mind of Rane is to see instead his mother Moon and her children's praise is silence, is lurking in the shadows of the forest night. A tug of arctic wind upon his cape brings the elf from mental moonlight into reality. It takes no thought to recognize an enemy in the strangers from the north. There is no strain in his shout of alarm, just as there is no waste of motion in the single movement that knocks an arrow into his bow and launches it at the wounded frost folk. He pays no heed to whether his shot lands true, but instead prepares his next assault.

Blood trickles down the arm of the wounded creature, and, so intent is it upon the offending warforged, it does not notice Rane until his arrow lodges in its leg. The frost folk screams that same strange scream with new pain. Hefting the weapon at its hip, it lunges forward to the warforged, it's long-nailed fingers wrapped around the shaft of a mighty battleaxe. It's rage-blinded swing descends upon Cog and rattles upon his mithril hide.

The Frost Folk's partner, glares at the elf and he too recognizes an enemy. With a heave, he launches his javelin at Rane. With elvish intensity, Rane watches the projectile approach. Just as it seemed it would pierce him through, he dances to the side and the javelin passes harmlessly and into the ground behind him.

The lower part of tent flap flutters and a gnome emerges, her giant sword gleaming in the moonlight. She observes the combat and her faces twists to delight. She stares intently at her blade, muttering a brief incantation. Her eyes briefly leave her head and enter the sword, but, on second glance, this appears to be a trick of the moonlight.

The noise of combat awakens Telafor Skytter from dreams of combat. Jumping to his feet to engage the combatants surrounding him, the human realizes the combat is occurring outside. With a leap, he bounds from the flap just in time to see the javelin pass by the elf. Muttering a threat and an oath, he charges at the thrower, his steps not the lumbering gait of a warrior, but the graceful stride of a dancer. The creatures dodges frantically and manages to elude the warblade's attack.

His white robes reflect the light of the moon as Jules Helix enters the battlefield. He does not lift his arms in praise, nor does he sound a chanting call to his god. Instead, with profound concentration evident on his furrowed brow, he speaks the spidery words of magic. A white light explodes from the archivist and settles upon his allies. Each feels their arms become firmer and their eyes more focused on the battle at hand.

Ok, wow, let's see here, if you skipped to the end, shame on you. Anyway, the only damage done was 5 damage to Astoral.

I probably won't break down the combat like this for every combat. I just figured it could fun to do for our first round of our first battle. Don't worry though. If you die, I'll make it as dramatic as possible.

Zyks
2008-02-19, 05:08 AM
Karthan

That was great! I read it all, nice descriptions, especially mine :smalltongue:

The shadow shifts around and dashes towards the creature attacking Rane. Coming from behind it, he uses his momentum to drive the blade into the creatures right side.

Sudden strike on the other creature
Attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
sudden strike: [roll2]

Daryk
2008-02-19, 05:57 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, all of the Frost Folk are now engaged in melee with someone, so it's time for Rane to switch weapons or take a -4 to hit with the bow.
Rane

Seeing the Frost Folk charge at him, Rane smoothly shifted from bow to sword to meet it blade for blade. Noting the general lack of response from the camp beyond his fellow newcomers, he continued his hue and cry: "Alarm! Frost Folk among us! Fire is their bane! Alarm!"

OOC:
Move Action: Stow bow.
Free Action as part of a Move Action: Draw greatsword.
Standard Action: Engage Frost Folk in melee.

Attack roll (greatsword): [roll0]
Damage (if it hits): [roll1]
Both rolls include the bonus from Jules' "Bless".

Agthorr
2008-02-19, 07:45 AM
Mikootaktoo

Having assessed the situation, Mikootaktoo slips through the tent flap and with a look of determination approaches one of the Frost Folk from behind. As he moves, his hand darts briefly into one of the pouches on his belt. Mik reaches out to grab and twist the Frost Folk's arm...

Free action: retrieve a drop of babau slime (spell component)
Move action: approach Frost Folk
Touch attack to start grapple: [roll0] (+2 more if Mik can approach from a flanking position)
Opposed grapple check to establish hold: [roll1]
Unarmed strike damage, if hold established: [roll2]

lotofsnow
2008-02-19, 09:30 AM
Karthan's attack connects.

Daryk, there are no creatures directly in melee with you. Therefore, to make an attack, you could drop your bow (free action), move/draw, attack. The only difference being your bow on the ground instead of on your shoulder. Regardless, your hit doesn't connect.

Aghtorr, you do attempt to grapple Tel's combatant from behind. You grab him, but he shakes out of your hold, so no damage there.

JeminiZero
2008-02-19, 10:03 AM
Jules

Jules raises his heavy mace and runs towards the injured foe while yelling in a wavering voice, "Finish the wounded one! Chaaarge!"



Status:
HP: 15/15
AC: 16 (18-2 charge penalty)

Jules will charge the more severely wounded enemy (the one hit by Cog's Javelin and Rane's Arrow).

Attack Roll (including Charge Bonus): [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Active Spells:
Bless: +1 to Attack and Fear Saves to all allies within 50 ft

Edit: Something tells me I missed. The rest of you can now save my sorry bum by killing him before I attempt to charge (my initiative is the last). In which case I move up to Cog and cast Cure Minor Wounds on him.

Edit 2: Actually, since he is fighting Cog already, do I get a flanking bonus?

dual_wielder
2008-02-19, 03:36 PM
Astoral

Astoral grimaces in pain from the blow he received, but continues to battle his strangely northern foe. He brings his mace back around, keeping the flow of eldritch power steady through his weapon.

Hp down to 7. I'll keep using Hideous Blow until I say otherwise.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Hideous Blow:[roll2]

H Savvy
2008-02-19, 06:32 PM
The strange, pale creature struck at Cog, the blow glancing off the Warforged's gleaming mithral plating. Cog felt a small surge of the pride a soldier of the Mithral Corp should feel, but it was a small spark in a big, cold, forge. Thinking of the Mithral Corp simply highlighted the loss of his comrades.

Cog looked at the creature with something rather like amusement. No doubt the thing had attacked him thinking him weaponless, and thus defenseless, an easy target. If his mouth were capable of it, he'd be grinning.

Cog saw tiny reflections of his own red glowing eyes as the frost creature's deep blue orbs widened in surprise at the new blade of energy growing from the warforged's hand. Cog slashed at his would-be attacker, shifting the flow of battle against his cold foe.

Ooc: What do you know, I'm at 7 hp, too... D:
Move Action: manifest a new mind blade
Standard Action: Attack against the bastard that battleaxed me
To hit: [roll0]
Damage if it hits: [roll1]

Sucrose
2008-02-19, 09:03 PM
Tel

Fast little bugger...

With an irritated grimace, Tel shifts his grip, holding the blade vertically, with plenty of room to swing. As his adversary slows for just an instant, his sword whirls.

Still in Punishing Stance, regular attack this time.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Very nice tone-setting, lotsofsnow!

TwoCents
2008-02-20, 12:26 AM
Iv


"Ululululululu!" Iv Lluildinruraquekzik howled her clan battle cry as she leapt forward to the frost folk standing in the ashes. Smiling with grim delight, she waited a split second as she felt the power of her sorceries bubble around her. A Voice whispered, Now, Iv! and she swung a smashing blow at her enemy.



1) Move to engage the enemy; try to flank

2) Attack the enemy

To hit: [roll0] (includes +20 insight bonus from True Strike)

Damage: [roll1]

Daryk
2008-02-20, 09:41 PM
Well, what do you know... the hotel has internet connectivity...:smallamused:

OOC: Sounds like a plan, since it appears none of the Frost Folk will be in a position to step on or pick up my bow. Not sure why I thought they were in melee with me, other than I was reading in a hurry.

lotofsnow
2008-02-21, 08:38 AM
A little less flair in this update. Doing it enemy by enemy, that way we know exactly who all is attacking which.

Frost Folk 1:
The shadows come alive behind the Frost Folk engaged in combat with Tel. With the martial master keeping the creature occupied, it offers no resistance to Karthan's blade. With a primal howl of pain, it turns to bring up his great battleaxe. Mikootaktoo rushes to the dwarf's aid, reaching to grab the creatures upraised arm. Yet, the ax comes down upon the dwarf (3 damage to Karthan) nonetheless. Tel's attack, taking advantage of the occupied Frost Folk, strikes true, delivering a staggering blow to the monstrous humanoid, bringing the creature to one knee.

Frost Folk 2:
Cog's foe steps back in wonder as the warforged summons a new mindblade. Mesmerized by the psionic weapon, the creature just barely manages to turn it aside, but not before having it bite briefly into his shoulder. Its confidence unshaken, the Frost Folk manages to deftly turn aside a wild attack from Rane. The elf's greatsword whistles past the creatures face, close, but no damage done. After the parry, the Frost Folk brings up his ax to catch the warforged off guard. Having seen such moves many times in his military career, Cog merely leans back, letting the ax blade go past him. Now off-balance himself, the Frost Folk can only howl in pain as Jules' heavy mace sinks into his back.

Frost Folk 3:
Injured, Astoral eyes his opponent warily. The Frost Folk clucks at the warlock, goading him to approach. Astoral brings his mace down and the creature casually brushes it aside, causing the human to lose his balance. Ignoring a while cry from behind him, the Frost Folk jabs at the apparently defenseless warlock with his javelin. However, Astoral is ready, and the human dodges elegantly, watching with a wry smile while Iv's greatsword cuts into his enemy.

Couple things, everyone has bless (+1 to attack rolls and saves vs. fear only). The following have flanking bonuses (+2 to attack): Karthan, Tel, Cog, Jules, Astoral, and Iv. FF1 is in really bad shape. FF2&3 aren't healthy, but they aren't ready to fall over yet either. Only 3 damage to Karthan this round. I'm telling you, dice hate me.

JeminiZero
2008-02-21, 10:26 AM
Jules

Heartened at his initial success, Jules takes another swing at the Frost Folk.


Standard Action: Attack Frost Folk 2
Attack Roll (including flanking bonus): [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Free Action: 5 ft step towards Cog

Status:
HP: 15/15
AC: 16 (18-2 charge penalty)

Active Spells:
Bless: 18 rounds remaining, +1 to Attack and Fear Saves to all allies within 50 ft

Zyks
2008-02-21, 10:52 AM
Karthan HP: 9 AC: 15

Karthan twitched with anger slightly, after the blow from the axe. It hurt his pride as a ninja more than physically. He would have to train harder to avoid this again. Moving his thoughts away from such matters, and back to the one at hand, he span round and aimed his Kukri at the distracted creature once again

If I get flanking bonus I also get sudden strike I believe. if not discount the damage

attack: [roll0] edit: blargh, add 3 to that, I forgot to add bless and flank.
damage: [roll1]
sudden strike: [roll2]

lotofsnow
2008-02-21, 11:12 AM
Karthan, with bless and flank, that's enough to down the FF. He's on the ground, bleeding out. One down, two to go.

Agthorr
2008-02-21, 11:32 AM
Seeing the one Frost Folk fall before Karthan's blade, Mikootaktoo decides to conserve his buff spells and slips his drop of babau slime back into his belt pouch. He steps past the downed Frost Folk and advances on the next.

In a loud voice to overcome the din of battle, Mik bellows to the Frost Folk as he approaches, "Why do you be attacking us here? You be far from ye'r home, we meant ye' no harm, and ye' be sorely outnumbered. I suggest ye' surrender while there still be air in yer lungs." Just then, Mik looks around and wonders where all of the other mercenaries are.

Reaching the Frost Folk, he reaches out with his big, burly arms to grab him...

Touch attach to begin grapple: [roll0] (+2 if Mik can approach from a flanking position)
Opposed grapple check to establish hold: [roll1]
Unarmed strike damage, if hold established: [roll2]

TwoCents
2008-02-21, 12:16 PM
Iv

Iv was angry, but not at the Frost Folk in front of her. She could feel her rage, barely under control, tickling and teasing her for release, but she waited. These foes seemed to be losing their battle; one already had fallen. The time was not yet for battle fury. No, her anger was directed... elsewhere.

"Get up! You lazy goat loving sons of camels! There are enemies in the camp and you sleep like babies! What, are you too old to rise from your cozy beds and defend yourselves but huddle like frightened children waiting for your betters to defeat that which you cannot even dare to meet? Rise, rise from your blankets, you flea bitten, scabrous, leprous, lazy HYENAS!"

With that, she swung her greatsword again:


Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

NOT raging, yet...

lotofsnow
2008-02-21, 12:24 PM
In the distance, toward where the wagons are parked several hundred feet away, you can hear more fighting. However, none of the tents in the circle stir. No line of light marks the tents' doors.

H Savvy
2008-02-21, 12:56 PM
Reassured by the creature's wild swing, and its obvious preoccupation with his allies, Cog calmly and (dare I say it?) mechanically (I dared!) lashes out once more at the wild and distracted creature.


That's right ladies and gentlemen. An ordinary attack!
To hit:[roll0]
Damage if it hits (and with +8, here's hoping):[roll1]

lotofsnow
2008-02-21, 01:06 PM
Ok, since the first three people in initiative have gone, I'll go ahead and write up that part.

FF1:
Karthan's blade lashes out yet again. The Frost Folk defends itself readily, parrying the dwarf's attack from his vitals... and directly into his forearm. The creature collapses to the ground, dying, its blood spilling upon the earth.

FF2:
Like the well oiled war machine he is, Cog efficiently recovers from his dodge, jabbing his mind blade into his opponent. The Frost Folk falls back and into the waiting arms of Mikootaktoo. The sea wizard grabs the creature, his strong arms wrapping around its head and neck. With a grunt and twist, all combatants hear a resounding snap, and the Frost Folk crumples lifeless to the ground.

FF1(down):
1|T|3
4|F|6
7|K|9

FF2(down):
1|C|M
4|F|6
R|J|9

FF3:
1|A|3
4|F|6
7|I|9

dual_wielder
2008-02-21, 03:34 PM
Astoral

Astoral refocuses himself, slightly frustrated at his miss. He flashes a smile at the gnome, both in thanks for occupying his enemy and in amusement at her amazing amount of pent up anger. He continues his barrage against the frost-covered man.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Hideous Blow:[roll2]

Sucrose
2008-02-21, 05:29 PM
Tel

Nodding curtly to the dwarven ninja, Tel takes a brief instant to steady himself, and regain his focus. Then, at the sounds of Iv's rant and the clashing of steel, he turns on his heel and jogs toward the next fight.

Arriving in the middle of the melee, Tel skids, and lashes out against the final opponent in this vicinity.

Status: AC 14, HP 24
Swift action to regain all maneuvers, followed by moving in for the attack.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Attack roll includes Bless bonus; if it isn't there now that he's moved, his roll's one less; I'm still not entirely clear on how the burst radius works.

Edit: Though it seems not to matter too much this time...

I'm not sure which side Tel winds up on, but he'll attack from the closest point, as there's no further tactical advantage to be had.

Daryk
2008-02-21, 10:52 PM
Rane

Rane, noting the excessive number of his new companions rushing the last remaining Frost Folk, sheathed his sword and moved to recover his bow. That done, he began to look for the watchmen that should have alerted the camp to their presence. Failing that, he looked for their erstwhile employer at the lead wagon where he was presumably sleeping.

OOC: Yes, I know this is more than one round's worth of activity.

lotofsnow
2008-02-22, 08:49 AM
Astoral again swings his mace, but, despite being assaulted now on two sides, the Frost Folk moves from its path at the last moment. Rane wanders from the battle to grab and clean up his precious elven bow all the while searching the camp for other signs of life.

Seeing his allies dead and death swiftly approaching, the Frost Folk makes one last attempt to strike down the strange human engaging him. However, in his weakened state, his lunge his easily parried by the warlock. Even while shouting, Iv is able to connect with her blade, inflicting a vicious wound. The Frost Folk staggers. Tel rushes in, his blade snaking out for the killing blow catches a seam in the creature's armor and deflects harmlessly by. Finally, Jules descends upon the creature, a final swing of his weapon sending the foul ambusher to its infernal destination.

(113xp for each of you)

JeminiZero
2008-02-22, 09:19 AM
Jules

Jules looked around quickly and cast what little healing magic he had on the injured.


Cast Lesser Vigor On Cog: Fast Healing 1 point for 12/2 = 6 rounds
Cast 3x Cure Minor Wounds on Karthan for 3 HP
Cast Cure Light Wounds on Astoral: [roll0]

Agthorr
2008-02-22, 11:57 AM
Mikootaktoo, hearing the sounds of continued fighting in the distance, bellows, "Quickly! To the wagons!".

dual_wielder
2008-02-22, 02:12 PM
Astoral

Astoral smiles at Jules as he receives his healing, but his thanks is stopped short by the yells of the others. He runs towards the wagons, looking for any signs of combat or more of the strange men he and his companions had just finished fighting.

Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

Sucrose
2008-02-22, 05:41 PM
Tel

More of 'em? Guess it makes sense...

At the sound of Mikootaktoo's cry, Tel wordlessly turns from the other participants in the final melee, and starts racing toward the wagons, hoping against hope that he can arrive in time.

Daryk
2008-02-22, 05:48 PM
Rane

Heading toward the continued sounds of battle around the wagons, Rane nocked an arrow, searching for more targets.

TwoCents
2008-02-22, 10:59 PM
Iv

Iv looked around for a second as the last Frost Folk fell. Realizing that the others were heading towards the wagons, and that none of the other tents showed any signs of activity, she decided to run through the tent on the opposite side on her way to the wagons. Choosing one of the tents she knew was occupied by one of the other mercenaries, she burst through the flap, weapon in hand.

[OOC: if the tent was unoccupied, she ran back out and towards the wagons. If the tent was occupied, well, things might get interesting. :smallbiggrin: ]

lotofsnow
2008-02-24, 01:17 PM
Before we can go on, I just need to clarify who is going where. It looks like Iv and Astoral are venturing to the tents, while Rane, Tel, and Mikoo are heading toward the wagons. How about Cog, Jules, and Karthan?

dual_wielder
2008-02-24, 03:05 PM
Oops, I meant for him to go to the wagons. I'll edit that in to my previous post.

H Savvy
2008-02-24, 07:32 PM
[Ooc: I'm a bit confused. Where is the noise and commotion coming from? If it's only coming from one source, either the wagons or tents, that's where Cog is headed. If it's coming from both, Cog will follow Mikootaktoo to the wagons :ooC]

Feeling his living wood sinews knit themselves slowly back together and the scratches and dents work out of his armored plating, Cog heads towards the sounds of battle, ready to give a taste of his mind blade to any and all Frost Folk he encounters.

lotofsnow
2008-02-24, 08:38 PM
Sounds are coming from the wagons, it seems. Too dark to see. Others were investigating the tents to determine the whereabouts of the other mercenaries.

JeminiZero
2008-02-24, 08:44 PM
Jules

As his new colleagues start to head off, Jules thinks about the situation for a bit.

Lets see, there is sound of fighting coming from the wagons, but no response from the tents. Either they are really heavy sleepers, in which case we should wake them. Or their there are more ambushers, and we should finish them first, lest we get attacked from both sides. And I think I am supposed to look out for the gnome as well. I guess I'll just make one quick check and then join the rest.


Jules will ready his mace and shield, and follow Iv. He will just peek into the tent that Iv runs into.

Zyks
2008-02-25, 03:12 AM
Karthan

Karthan heads off towards the wagons, but a little away from the others, moving as quietly as he can.

I think I read earlier that e're using spells and rage from the day before, so does that include my ki powers? if so, I use ghost step: invisible again.

if not, heres a hide and move silently
hide: [roll0]
move silently: [roll1]

Agthorr
2008-02-25, 09:11 AM
Mikootaktoo runs towards the commotion (i.e., toward the wagons) at the first available opportunity. As he approaches, he uses the tents and/or wagons for cover in hope of being able to see what's going on before coming out into the open. Before anyone notices him, Mik hopes to assess the situation and decide whether to use a buff spell.

(OOC: He doesn't wait for Jules's 5 rounds of healing spells to be cast. Run as full-round action = 120' per round)

lotofsnow
2008-02-25, 09:16 AM
Ok, it sounds like Mikoo and Rane are running toward the wagons at about the same time.


Their companions left behind to tend to their wounds, the elf and human sprint through the tents on their way to investigate the sounds of battle at the wagons. As they approach the tents, a tingle runs up their spines and begins to engulf their minds.

Will save please

Agthorr
2008-02-25, 09:20 AM
Mik's Will Save: [roll0] (+1 if vs fear, due to bless)

TwoCents
2008-02-25, 10:14 AM
Iv

Er, just in case you wanted one from Iv, who's actually going in the tents...

Will save: [roll0]

+1 vs. fear (from the bless)
+2 vs. illusion (gnome)


Edit: Willpower? What willpower? (But then we knew that...)

Sucrose
2008-02-25, 10:29 AM
Tel

[roll0]
[roll1](+1 if vs. fear)

The Will save is there if Tel's unable to use his Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver. The main circumstance that I can think of is if he presently counts as flatfooted.

lotofsnow
2008-02-25, 10:39 AM
Heh... ok, everyone make will saves then since that seems to be the way things are going (I had originally assumed, based on the wording of Rane's and Mikoo's posts, they headed out in front of the group, but we'll play it your way.) Once everyone's saves are in (I'm counting the previous ones, which means we still need Karthan, Jules, Astoral, Cog, and Rane), I'll explain the results.

Scurrying to either investigate the sounds coming from the wagons or discover the nature of the mercenaries' absence, the group passes through the tent line. A feint tingle flows up the spine and slowly begins to affect the brain.

JeminiZero
2008-02-25, 10:53 AM
Jules


Will Save: [roll0] +1 against fear

Edit: Wow! 20!

Zyks
2008-02-25, 11:27 AM
Karthan

Will save: [roll0] (bless included)

lotofsnow
2008-02-25, 11:29 AM
Karthan

Will save: [roll0] (bless included)

In the future, don't include Bless unless you know for sure it is a save against fear.

Sucrose
2008-02-25, 02:56 PM
Heh... ok, everyone make will saves then since that seems to be the way things are going (I had originally assumed, based on the wording of Rane's and Mikoo's posts, they headed out in front of the group, but we'll play it your way.) Once everyone's saves are in (I'm counting the previous ones, which means we still need Karthan, Jules, Astoral, Cog, and Rane), I'll explain the results.

Scurrying to either investigate the sounds coming from the wagons or discover the nature of the mercenaries' absence, the group passes through the tent line. A feint tingle flows up the spine and slowly begins to affect the brain.

Heh...sorry.:smallredface: Saw the mention of a human heading toward the wagons, and neglected the mention of Rane and Mikoo earlier in the post. I'll try to be more attentive in the future.

dual_wielder
2008-02-25, 03:22 PM
Will save:[roll0] +1 if vs. fear.

H Savvy
2008-02-25, 04:53 PM
ugh, will! D: Wisdom mod -1, my old foe![:ooC]

[roll0]

Edit: [ooc]ACK!

Daryk
2008-02-25, 05:57 PM
One will save, as requested: [roll0]
And a Knowledge: Religion check, just in case: [roll1]

lotofsnow
2008-02-25, 06:04 PM
As you near the tents, a strange tingle travels up each of your spines (except Cog's and Rane's). Suddenly and inexplicably, Mik and Iv slow, stumble, and collapse to the ground, apparently unconscious.

Daryk
2008-02-25, 07:35 PM
Would you believe: Spellcraft! [roll0]
Player-wise, it sounds like Sleep to me, and Rane is hunting appropriately if he makes the connection. If he doesn't, he's just looking for targets in general.

JeminiZero
2008-02-25, 08:07 PM
Jules

As Jules walks around the tents with Iv, he senses the tingle, but manages to shake off the effect. However Iv noiselessly collapses in front to him. Jules immediately freezes, before dropping prone, as his mind races to figure out what just happened.


Spellcraft: [roll0]
Knowledge Arcane: [roll1]


He crawls up to Iv, and examines her. Hmmm... no sign of injury, presumably that means it wasn't a skilled marksman and I can now safely stand up.

TwoCents
2008-02-25, 08:41 PM
Iv AND Imskelarsamthar the Tiny Viper

Um, since Imskelarsamthar is a on Iv's person at all times, in that neat sand filled pouch as previously mentioned in posts and on the character sheet, she needs a save. Will +3, 1 HD creature. Oh, and since the snake was under yesterday's Endure Elements, yes, she is awake!

It's really sad when the familiar has a better save bonus than the spellcaster...

[roll0]

Also, Mik has a familiar and is probably carrying it too...hint, hint

TwoCents
2008-02-25, 08:45 PM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar

Snore...hiss...snore..hiss..snorehiss..snoress...

OOC: Daryk was really hoping for the snake to save and wake up Iv with some nose biting...

lotofsnow
2008-02-25, 11:12 PM
I'll allow the Spellcraft checks. Heal checks on the slumbering companions would have worked, too.

Rane stares curiously at the odd resting habits of humans and gnomes, while Jules immediately detects that what in fact has happened is that his companions have been enchanted to sleep. Not only does he recognize the presence of a sleep spell, but he realizes that it is actually a sleep trap! Now if only he could find the trap itself...

JeminiZero
2008-02-25, 11:55 PM
Jules

Upon recognizing the effect, Jules stands back up and turns to the rest of his colleagues and shouts, "There seems to be a sleep spell trap of some sort. They're not hurt, but noise won't wake them. Try slapping them to get them up"

Jules then kneels beside Iv and starts slapping her back to consciousness.


OOC: I am assuming that my high Arcane Knowledge check lets me know the basics of a sleep spell. Also, its time for Karthan to put that ninja trapfinding to good use.

Zyks
2008-02-26, 03:14 AM
Karthan

Right, a trap, I'll get on it

Seacrhing for traps

search: [roll0]
if found, disable device: [roll1]

H Savvy
2008-02-26, 09:32 AM
Cog runs towards the fallen sea wizard, and following the advice of the strange cleric, begins attempting to rouse the sleeping human.

So, I'm not sure how far Mik is, but getting to him is top priority. If he's too far away to get there with a move action, or a double, he'll run. If he still has any actions left, he'll begin trying to wake Mik.

Sucrose
2008-02-26, 11:13 AM
Tel

Realizing that the others are left vulnerable while waking the afflicted, Tel waits for them, looking carefully for any lurking enemies.

[roll0]

Daryk
2008-02-26, 05:10 PM
Rane

Rane noted the odd state of his companions, but continued searching for more Frost Folk to slay. The cursed creatures were a thorn in the side of his people in the Ghostwood, and would see no mercy from the Carnaharim.

lotofsnow
2008-02-27, 10:47 AM
Don't worry, folks, I didn't forget about you...

Searching the area, Karthan easily discovers a small hourglass, carefully placed upright on the ground, sand slowly filtering from the top to bottom. The dwarf ninja's keen eye examines the object. Then, with a twist of his fingers, he breaks the glass in half. As the sand spills from the broken halves, it quickly disappears before hitting the ground.

As Rane approaches the small line of wagons and the sounds of battle, five of the wagon guards circle a remaining frost folk. The bodies of 4 others and of the last guard lie in the surrounding area. With a sharp order from Bernard standing nearby, the guard advance upon the final creature, bringing him quickly to the ground.

Zyks
2008-02-27, 11:06 AM
Karthan

having dismantled the device, Karthan returns to the others. He approaches the guards and the remaining frost foolk. Standing a little off, and with his arms folded he states quietly:

Rather than kill him, shouldn't we try to find out what this is all about?

lotofsnow
2008-02-27, 11:21 AM
Bernard glares at Karthan in the shadows.

"Aye, commander," he retorts with a sneer. He gestures to the troops cleaning off their bloodies blades. "Hear that, men? The general 'ere thinks we better go ahead and un-kill 'dis varmin in order to get information from 'im. What's that ya say, men? That dwarf isn't a general? It's me dat gives the orders, not him? Well isn't that fine."

The men begin to chuckle while they go through the frost folk's belongings.

Zyks
2008-02-27, 11:42 AM
Karthan

Well, looks like I was too late then. It would just make sense to find out why this happened, rather than just kill everything in sight.

sorry, I thought it was just brought down, not dead, never mind then :smalltongue:

Agthorr
2008-02-27, 12:32 PM
Mikootaktoo wakes with a start, his cheek stinging from Cog's slap. He quickly grabs Cog's arm and twists it, saying "What the blazes do you think ye be doin', mate? Unless we be und'r attack, ye have no reason to be wakin' me from me slumber, and a gentle nudge is generally considered more courteous (Mik twists Cog's arm a bit further) than a slap in the face."

Mik takes a quick look around just to make sure they aren't actually under attack, and suddenly recalls all that has transpired. Realization spreads plainly across his face, with more than a touch of sheepish embarassement. "Right", says Mik, getting to his feet and releasing Cog's arm. "Thanks for that, mate. Sorry for the mix-up. I owe yer a drink."

With that, Mik walks off towards the crowd to see what's going on.

Sucrose
2008-02-27, 06:51 PM
Tel

With the sound of battle nowhere to be heard, and no enemies to be seen, Tel slowly falls out of his adrenaline rush.

Too early; why'd the damned fey pick this ungodly time to attack?

Still, it's too late; with no hope of really getting any more sleep tonight, especially with more ambuscades a possibility, Tel slowly walks toward the wagons, and his commanding officer. He lifts his feet with all the enthusiasm of a condemned prisoner.

When he finds Bernard, he asks, stifling a yawn or two, what he can do to help.

Daryk
2008-02-27, 07:25 PM
Rane

With all the apparent threats dealt with, Rane widened his search for enemies to the perimeter of the camp, and looked for their tracks.

Survival: [roll0]

Specifically, Rane is looking for multiple axes of approach, and the total number that accompanied the attack. If there's a mismatch, he'll know we have a problem.

H Savvy
2008-02-28, 12:16 AM
"Right", says Mik, getting to his feet and releasing Cog's arm. "Thanks for that, mate. Sorry for the mix-up. I owe yer a drink."

"A...", Cog stares blankly for a moment. "Yes. Thank you. You are welcome. It is good that you have sustained no serious damage to your person."

TwoCents
2008-02-28, 03:13 PM
Iv




Jules then kneels beside Iv and starts slapping her back to consciousness.

"<Camel farts! Get your hands off me and die, you sand-sucking beast!>" roared the gnome, slapping vainly at her greatsword scabbard for her weapon. "What? What? Oh..." She frantically looked around for her sword, grabbed it, and got up as gracefully as she was able. "Jules, my friend, I am most grateful for your assistance in recovering from whatever vile power it was that took over my body. I am honored to call you my companion." Iv gave a sweeping bow, saluting Jules with her sword as she did so. "Come, let us see if these others are also corrupted by fell magics!" With that, she scampered over to the nearest tent and swept open the flap.

OOC: <desert gnomish>

dual_wielder
2008-02-28, 04:22 PM
Astoral runs forward upon seeing the frost folk, but slows to a walk and eventually stops as it hits the ground, dead. He turns around towards his fellow mercenaries, and seeing that those who had fallen had now recovered, he began to walk back towards his tent in silence.

JeminiZero
2008-02-28, 07:45 PM
Jules

Jules pricks his ears. Hmmm... the sound of fighting had stopped already. But there may be more hiding in ambush. Best not let our guard down just yet.

Jules decides to keep following Iv as she runs around the tents.

TwoCents
2008-02-28, 10:19 PM
Jules

Jules pricks his ears. Hmmm... the sound of fighting had stopped already. But there may be more hiding in ambush. Best not let our guard down just yet.

Jules decides to keep following Iv as she runs around the tents.


OOC: "Through" the tents, or "into" the tents, but NOT "around" the tents. She is still looking for the rest of the mercenaries.

JeminiZero
2008-02-28, 11:15 PM
OOC: "Through" the tents, or "into" the tents, but NOT "around" the tents. She is still looking for the rest of the mercenaries.


OOC: Jules is not Gnome sized, and can't run through the tents. So while Iv runs through the tents, he will circle around and wait for her at the other side.

lotofsnow
2008-02-29, 08:44 AM
As Iv rushes in the first tent, its occupants jump up, startled. Jules hears the following from his post outside:

"It's YOU!" one occupant says.
"We've got nothing left to burn," says the other, "Unless you're here to take the clothes off our backs!"
"Which will be a lot harder than stealing our firewood," finishes the first, brandishing his handaxes. "You better get out of here."

--------------

Rane's search reveals tracks from the north splitting into two groups just before they reach the mercenary camp. It appears that eight bipeds came and none left. He finds no other signs of enemies.

--------------

Slipping back to his tent, Astoral catches a slight glint out of the corner of his eye. Upon further investigation, the warlock discovers, in the grass near the tent shared by Iv and Jules, a small silver token, approximately 3 inches in diameter. An intricate image of snakes encircling a white triangle is carved into the token.

--------------

At the companions' approach, Bernard claps his hands and growls.

"Well, if ye keep showin' up late fer bat'le like 'dis, you no doubt be living a long and poor life." Seeing the disheveled and bloodied look of some of the party, he amends his mood. "Hm, seems you'n had a bit of a 'counter, too, ya? Get these piled up with whatever you faced, we'll take a look before'n we put em to the torch."

JeminiZero
2008-02-29, 09:13 AM
Jules

Upon hearing the ruckus in the tent, Jules opens the flap, reaches in, and pulls Iv out a bit. He then turns to the occupants and says, "My apologies for the gnomes past behaviour, but she is not here to take anything. We have just been ambushed by Frost Folk, and there may be others in the vicinity. Grab your weapons and prepare to defend yourselves."


Diplomacy Roll if needed: [roll0]

TwoCents
2008-02-29, 11:07 AM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar


"It's YOU!" one occupant says.
"We've got nothing left to burn," says the other, "Unless you're here to take the clothes off our backs!"
"Which will be a lot harder than stealing our firewood," finishes the first, brandishing his handaxes. "You better get out of here."


Iv hangs onto her temper by the thinnest of margins. The urge to surrender to the blood lust pounds through her, but she resists, for the moment. The effort leaves her speechless long enough for


Upon hearing the ruckus in the tent, Jules opens the flap, reaches in, and pulls Iv out a bit. He then turns to the occupants and says, "My apologies for the gnomes past behaviour, but she is not here to take anything. We have just been ambushed by Frost Folk, and there may be others in the vicinity. Grab your weapons and prepare to defend yourselves."

Iv dodged away from Jules' restraining hand* and snarled at the tent occupants, "Yes, you puling childen hiding in your tents while others fought, have you had a nice nap? You, who will not join us around the fire but huddle in your loneliness cursing your misfortune, will you join us now? You will not join the fray when others call to arms, but you are quick to wave your weapons when one of your colleagues -- for I do not call you companion until you have earned that honor -- enters to ensure that you live. My sword is ready for all; I do not look to add the blood of a colleague but I will not stand by and be insulted. Come and join the others out among the bodies, unless you are too frightened, you <bastard child of kobolds>!" With a swirl of her robes, she stalked out of the tent toward where Bernard stood. Every one of her thirty-nine inches radiated the desire to rend something ... anything ... into itty-bitty bits.

As she walked up to Bernard, she muttered to herself in her native tongue:<whining babies 'you stole my firewood, wah' can't be bothered to gather with us waving dinky little handaxes 'ooh I'm so impressed with your studly steel' like I'm supposed to care if their feelings are hurt because they couldn't bother to do anything not even try to get along and this too-tall thinks he's such hot camel spit can't even be bothered to treat us with any decent respect who does he think he is glorified clerk with a wagon fetish. Auuggh! Sands around us, I need to kill something!>

Iv saluted the wagonmaster and spoke in a tense voice, "Odd, o great and aged leader, that we could hear the sounds of your battle but you were unable to hear ours. We have arrived now, with our foes dispatched and some wounded among us. The others in that tent," she added, pointing with her off hand, "are awake, but I know not of the rest of the camp. Have we determined that all the enemies are dead? Do you wish a patrol, O mighty general?" She stood, vibrating slightly with adrenaline, her sword at the guard position and her eyes flicking across the horizon looking for a foe.


*OOC: We could work out Attack rolls and opposed grapple checks, but I'm not really in the mood to provide THAT much comic relief.

Agthorr
2008-02-29, 12:25 PM
Mikootaktoo, standing nearby to Bernard now, muses to no one in particular while studying the downed Frost Folk, "It be strange for the Frost Folk to be this far south. I wonder what brought them here and what did drive them to be attackin' us, 'specially when so badly outnumb'red." He shivers.

Daryk
2008-02-29, 03:43 PM
Just to make sure, we do have eight Frost Folk corpses, right? And were any of the tracks around that silver symbol, or where the hourglass was found?

Rane

Rane rejoined the group after his search of the perimeter. In answer to Mikootaktoo's question he offered, "The Frost Folk have raided my people before, so it's not that unusual actually."

Agthorr
2008-02-29, 04:11 PM
Rane rejoined the group after his search of the perimeter. In answer to Mikootaktoo's question he offered, "The Frost Folk have raided my people before, so it's not that unusual actually."

Mik responds, "Aye, they be cruel and aggressive creatures to be sure, but raiding settlements in northern Ghostwood tain't the same as attacking a camp of mercenaries on the New North Road. That's a long way for them to be traveling from their icey homes, and on foot at that. Pert of me would like to follow der tracks and see what der is to be seeing. That be up to our captai-err-leader, though." Mik looks expectantly at Bernard.

Sucrose
2008-02-29, 06:49 PM
Tel

Still cradling his head, Tel barely manages to still his tongue long enough for Bernard to notice the truth.

With a slight nod to his commanding officer, Tel wipes his blade off on one of the Frost folk corpses, then starts dragging the cadaver off toward the scene of the recruits' battle, using its hair as an impromptu handle.

He moves so casually, so thoughtlessly, that one almost doesn't notice that the corpse winds up being dragged over every last sharp rock between the battlefields.

dual_wielder
2008-02-29, 07:25 PM
Astoral glances at the strange token, then looks around to see where if any of his companions had follow him. Seeing no one around, he cautiously reaches down and picks up the token. "This cannot be smart," he thought with a grimace. He turns it over in his hands, examining the intricate designs with interest.

JeminiZero
2008-02-29, 08:39 PM
Jules

Jules follows Iv as she storms out of the tent and goes to see the commander. Along the way he spots Tel dragging the corpses into a pile.

"Hey Iv, I think we are supposed to pile the corpses together." he calls out as he gestures to the stack that Tel is building up.

Jules finds one of the Frost Folk killed by his team, loots it for anything of value or interest, and then drags it into the pile. Ahh... corpse looting, such is the life of Adventure. The storybooks make it look so easy, but to do a thorough job requires a bit of imagination. I wonder if he is hiding any gold in his boots, a pity they didn't cover this topic in Cleric College. Also, I hope I'm not getting any blood on these white robes.

H Savvy
2008-02-29, 09:05 PM
Cog waits patiently until Bernard is no longer occupied in conversation with the others so that he might debrief.

"Commander, sir." Cog bows his head slightly. "We were engaged in conflict by three ambushing combatants. Two combatants were met in primarly melee encounters, hostiles wielded battle-axes, leading off with thrown javelins. One combatant possessed supernatural ability to discharge a projection of ice and cold.

Three injured, none seriously.

Permission to stand down and repair myself, sir?"

lotofsnow
2008-03-01, 12:21 PM
At Iv's commands, the inhabitants of the tent (as well as those nearby) rouse themselves and head out, following the lead of those companions carrying out Bernard's orders.

Bernard shakes his head at Iv's questions. "I've go me men scouting out now. Just get these folk piled t'gether so's we can burn 'em."

"As to why they 'er 'ere," he says in response to Mik's musings, "Dat's a thing best figured by better brains dan I. Figured it'll be though, I can 'sure you."

The short man begins to walk over to inspect the growing pile of corpses. He rubs his hands together vigorously in the chill morning air. At Cog's question, he turns to the warforged, "Hm? Repair, you say? That sumthin' can be done in the wagon? Talk to Charles, "he indicates the last of the guards standig nearby, "maybe he can help you out. That goes for any of you who took injuries. Once we get these bodies alight, we'll be headin' on. No point in tryin' ta get some sleep now." He gestures east, toward the glowing pre-dawn.

---------------

Astoral's exam reveals nothing else about the object. It is unfamiliar to him. It appears to be just a trinket. Perhaps someone dropped it, but it is well away from any of the actual fighting.

---------------

A search of the frost folk you killed brings up surprisingly little. 3 sets of stinky leather armor. 2 crude javelins. 3 expertly made battle axes. Interestingly, you find about 40 small disks of wood, small enough to fit in a leather belt pouch at one of the frost folk's hip.

Rane doesn't know about the silver token, so he doesn't know to search that area for tracks. However, three sets of tracks split off and circle around toward your tents, lead to the battle you had. The rest lead down to the wagons, coming maybe 30 feet from wear you found the hourglass.

Daryk
2008-03-01, 12:37 PM
Rane

Piecing together the tracks and where the hourglass was found, Rane drew a conclusion he didn't like. Returning to the group, he said, "I think the Frost Folk had help. That hourglass was rather far from where their tracks lead. Something else must have placed it there."

H Savvy
2008-03-01, 03:33 PM
"In the wagon? In such close quarters, repairs would be... difficult. I will seek your man to see if he might help. Thank you, sir." With another slight nod of his hod, Cog heads towards the guard Bernard pointed out.

"I have instructions to report to you for assistance in repairing the damage I sustained. Repair magics would be most useful, magic that repairs damaged tissue would be somewhat less so."

JeminiZero
2008-03-03, 09:38 AM
Jules

Jules helps Tel with Corpse looting and disposal duty. Eventually, all the corpses are jumbled together in a bloody naked pile, and their former belongings are piled up in a neat corner.

Jules briefly sifts through the junk, trying to see if he could recognize any of the junk. Hmm... I wonder what these wooden discs are.


Base Roll: [roll0]
Add:
10 Knowledge Religion
8 Knowledge Arcane
8 Knowledge Dungeoneering
8 Knowledge Planes
8 Knowledge Nature

Also checking if there were any runes on any of the gear. If Jules doesn't recognize them, he'll show them to Tel, and then to Mik.



Rane

Piecing together the tracks and where the hourglass was found, Rane drew a conclusion he didn't like. Returning to the group, he said, "I think the Frost Folk had help. That hourglass was rather far from where their tracks lead. Something else must have placed it there."

Jules looks up from the junk pile and says, "Are you sure? Maybe they just threw it into place. Are there any tracks around the Hourglass to indicate who or what placed it there? "

lotofsnow
2008-03-03, 09:46 AM
Charles looks Cog up and down. "Hmmm. Yesss. Mmmhmmm. Repairs? Hmmm. Let me see." Turning from the warforged, the young man begins rummaging through a wooden trunk. The sound of glass on glass can be heard as well as frequent "Hmmm"s and "Mmmhmm"s. Finally, Charles stands up and hands Cog two small vials. "Repairs in a bottle," he says with a wink. "I suppose you just drin... er, maybe you rub... er well..." He turns back to the trunk and begins rummaging through again. It takes several minutes for Cog to realize he's actually been dismissed and Charles seems to have forgotten he's even there.

2 potions of cure light damage.
-----------------

Jules examines the wooden disks closely. He can't, in all his learning, think of anything quite like them.

JeminiZero
2008-03-03, 09:57 AM
Jules

Jules scratches his head, as he ponders the significane of the Woden discs. Eventually, he gives up. He holds the bag of discs up and shouts, "Hey Guys! I found this bag of wooden chips. Any idea what its for?"

Agthorr
2008-03-03, 10:21 AM
Mikootaktoo takes a peek at the wooden tokens, trying to recall if he has ever read of such a thing, or if he can deduce what purpose they might have served.

Knowledge roll: [roll0] (see character sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7505) for modifiers)

dual_wielder
2008-03-03, 03:37 PM
Astoral walks towards his companions, twirling the coin absentmindedly in his fingers all the while. When he arrives, he sniffs the air, then quickly backs a few steps away from the pile of corpses. He holds out the token and looks to the others.

Could any of you tell me what this is? I found it there in the grass by the tents.

Agthorr
2008-03-03, 03:47 PM
Perplexed by the wooden tokens, Mik decides to take a different approach. He waves his hand carefully while invoking arcane words of power (Detect Magic) and studies both the tokens and the coin carefully. He also glances casually around the encampment on the off chance anything magical escaped notice or or made its way into the pile of burning corpses.

Knowledge roll for the coin: [roll0] (see character sheet in sig for modifiers)

Sucrose
2008-03-03, 03:51 PM
Tel

Pausing his morbid work for a moment, Tel looks over at what Astoral is talking about.
"Er, money? Probably foreign."

Thinking a bit harder, Tel gets back to his assigned task.

[roll0]

((OOC: Knowledge check is 5 higher if it pertains to Bartleby Grand.))

TwoCents
2008-03-03, 06:03 PM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar

"Right. Clean up. Got it," Iv said tersely, still clinging to her temper. She carefully cleansed her sword and checked it for damage before sheathing it. Next, she checked to make sure Imske was just sleeping. After a few minutes of quiet conversation, she carefully replaced her familiar back in her bag and stood up. As usual, the time with her familiar calmed her.

Drawing her kukri, she went over to the others and helped strip the bodies. She cut off any hair the creatures had, searching for hidden tatoos, and split open any suspicious bulges in the stinking armor before turning to study the battle axes. "Tell me, my friends, those of you who know of these frozen creatures of rude awakening, are they often fond of magical traps? Does it not strike you also as odd that these creatures garbed in filthy armor should have such well crafted axes? I know not of axes, but can we determine by close examination who might have made such weapons?"

Iv looked closely at the wooden disks and the silver coin when offered, to see if she recognized the symbols.

No real knowledge skills, but she can read gnomish and has that whole desert thing going...

Iv usually spent her pre dawn hours in contemplation, feeling the bubbling power of her sorcery wash through her in preparation for the day. She felt empty now, her mind searching for the familiar power.


Once we get these bodies alight, we'll be headin' on. No point in tryin' ta get some sleep now." [Bernard] gestures east, toward the glowing pre-dawn.


"Far be it for me to contradict such an old and wise person as yourself, O great leader of men, but I and perhaps others among our hardy band of warriors need to spend some time in ritual preparations for the day else our abilities to destroy our enemies will be weakened. Unless there is some compelling reason to leave this place within the next hour which has escaped my all too fallible senses I humbly request, O brilliant and never to be questioned one, that I be allowed to prepare my spirit for the day ahead lest I find myself unable to use all the weapons in my arsenal." Iv waited, the very picture of polite, patient, obedience, for his response.

Bluff: [roll0]

Daryk
2008-03-03, 07:25 PM
Rane

Rane looked over the disks and the coin to see if they looked familiar from his previous experience with Frost Folk.

lotofsnow
2008-03-05, 07:06 AM
Huddling around the collected items, none in the party seems to be able to grasp their meaning. No magical aura provides a clue. However, the elf, with a quick glance, recognizes the wooden chips as money. Approximately 40 silver in Frost Folk currency. No great treasure, but a lifetime of wealth for such poor creatures. The silver token remains a mystery however, though Rane determines it is similar to Frost Folk relics his people have discovered.

Bernard looks down at the desert gnome. He spends a moment thinking over her words, trying to make sense of her rambling. Finally, he responds:

"Ya can 'prepare yer spirit' in the wagon."

Not sure what you're bluffing here. Are you just trying to appear sweet and innocent? If that's the case, I don't think that'll get him to change his mind, though it does keep him from jumping down your throat for arguing with him again. Maybe a Diplomacy or Intimidate check would have more productive results.

Whistling to grab everyone's attention, Bernard commands: "C'mon. In the wagon. Leave the tents. You," he says, turning back to Iv, "since you're so good at startin' fires, why not set those corpses ta blaze?"

The other mercenaries begin collecting their things, many yawning mouths letting in the light of the sun as it crests over the horizon, begin heading toward the wagons. The sun reflects pink over the plain glazed white with a frost. It seems uncharacteristically cold for this time of year.

JeminiZero
2008-03-05, 08:07 AM
Jules

When Bernard calls for them to leave, Jules looks up from the loot pile, and starts stuffing his items into his backpack. He yawns loudly and shivers at the unseasonal cold and says, "So, how should we divide the stuff? For the gear, the better trained amongst us might have use of the axes. I say we sell the rest and split the coin evenly. Anyone figured out what them wood chips are?"

Agthorr
2008-03-05, 01:23 PM
Mikootaktoo

Mikootaktoo says, "Sounds fair to me". He helps pile the bodies, start the fire, and whatever else is required to prepare for the wagon journey.

Daryk
2008-03-05, 08:00 PM
Rane

In response to Jules' question, Rane answered, "The wood chips are what the Frost Folk use for money. You might be able to trade them for some silver, but not with anyone I know. As far as the snake disk, I've never seen that exact symbol before, but the construction is similar to other Frost Folk relics. I have no interest in either."

Rane will catch the rest of his trance in the wagon, and walk for a bit when he gets stiff from sitting on the hard benches.

JeminiZero
2008-03-05, 08:10 PM
Jules

"Well then, we should split the wood chips evenly as well. For 40 chips and 8 of us, there should be 5 each." Jules pockets his 5 wood chips, loads everything else onto the wagons before hopping on himself.


During the Wagon journey, Jules will rememorize his spells for the day.

Sucrose
2008-03-05, 11:09 PM
Tel

"Eh, seems fair enough. Kinda doubt they'll do us any good, but ya never know, right?"

With that, Tel grabs five pieces for himself, puts the few things he has into the wagon, then sets to taking down his tent. If Iv's still working on the fire when he gets done, he starts to take hers down as well.

Daryk
2008-03-06, 06:24 AM
Rane

Having answered the question asked, Rane headed for the wagon as ordered, ignoring both the tents and the "loot".

Zyks
2008-03-06, 12:14 PM
Karthan

Once everything is loaded back into the wagons, Karthan jumps back into the wagon, with surprising grace for a person of his stature.

H Savvy
2008-03-06, 01:18 PM
Cog

Cog looks down at the potions in his hands and at the man hunched over in front of him. Realizing that Charles was no longer paying attention to him, he said a quiet "Thank you" and took the potions with him.

Cog headed back to the tent he had shared with Tel, and put the potions in his pack. As he exited the small tent, he ran into Tel coming to break the tent down. The warforged dipped his head in a polite nod said "Greetings, Tel", and without another word began to assist his bunkmate with collapsing the tent.

He then takes up his pack and heads to the wagons.

Sucrose
2008-03-06, 03:36 PM
Tel

Despite his sleep deficit, Tel manages a smile for his roommate.
"Hey, Cog. So, did ya get what you need to patch yourself up?"

As soon as Cog and Tel are done taking down the tent, Tel climbs into the wagon, and monopolizes as much space as he can to lay down and start sawing logs.

dual_wielder
2008-03-06, 06:51 PM
Astoral keeps his sleepy silence, climbing into the back of the wagon with a haughty air and leaning his head back. His eyes slowly close, as he drifts off despite the threat of danger.

lotofsnow
2008-03-07, 08:45 AM
Very few are awake to see the campsite fade from view as the wagons continue their long trek north. Fewer still watch the fire lap the skin and flesh of the frost folk, bringing warmth in death to creatures that knew nothing but cold in life.

The sounds of wagon wheels rolling on the hard-earth road, the jingle of the horses' harnesses sing a lullaby to those passengers who sleep. For hours, the motion of the wagon is constant. The slow rocking allowing everyone to relax, recoup the energy spent in the early morning battle.

At approximately midday, the wagons halt. After a few moments, the wagon door swings open, letting in a burst of frosty air. Bernard sticks his head in and orders "C'mon out, yer weighin down the wagon."

Outside the confines, the world is changed. Instead of the expected midday sun, you see a sky turned dark gray, no sun in sight. Snow plummets to the ground in a wicked storm that, apparently, has been going on for a while, since everywhere the ground is turned white.

Two of the guards are brushing snow from your wagon. Two more hook up a strange contraption to the front. It appears to be some sort of small crane, a base standing on the road and an arm attached to a lip on the front of the wagon. Once the wagon is cleared off and everyone has exited, the machine is slowly cranked, and the front of the wagon and its wheels gently raise off the ground. Two guards remove the wheels and attach some of the planks that had been secured to the wagons, creating runners for easier passage over snow.

Skis attached, the guards move to the back of the wagon and then to the rest, creating a very odd looking sled train. The horses hooked up, Bernard orders everyone back into the wagon and soon, the sense of motion begins again. This time, the sound of wheels on road is replaced by the scraping of runners through snow.

RP time... I realized I haven't given you guys much chance to talk amongst yourselves. Essentially, you are all strangers, remember. Sure, you've been through battle, but you don't even know what each other's specialties are. Now is the time to chat it up!

TwoCents
2008-03-07, 08:57 AM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar

Iv watched Bernard carefully as the camp packed up. She made note of any interactions he had with the other mercenaries, and tried to figure out the status of the teamsters. She worked thoroughly and efficiently, but even as she worked, she watched Bernard.

When she was offered a share of the treasure, she declined, saying, "Our fearless leader undoubtedly has some magnificent system in place to define individual shares of 'treasure' or 'loot' and I will wait to see what that it before reaching out my hand in beggary."

As directed, Iv set fire to the bodies, using oil & wood from the group supplies. Once they were burning, she returned to her tent and prepared to leave. She searched her backpack and carefully shook out her bedroll for any "surprises" and then packed everything for travel. She searched the tent before leaving on general principles, and then left it standing, also as directed.

Search of personal items: take 10 (+0)
Quick search of tent:
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

Before leaving the camp, Iv refilled her water from the group supplies, visited the latrine, and washed her hands and face for the day. She climbed into the wagon, seated herself in the same spot as before, and tried to relax. Once her spells were prepared, she removed her armor and cast Endure Elements on herself (including the snake). Putting her armor back on and Imskel back in her travel pouch, Iv clambered back up to the seat and began to doze.

JeminiZero
2008-03-07, 11:16 AM
Jules

Jules spends the first hour or so of the journey, leafing through his spellbook, muttering to himself as he filled his mind with healing magic for the day.

When he was done, he kept the book, and rubbed his tired eyes. Looking around the quiet wagon, he tried to think of something to break the ice (no pun intended).

Hmm... maybe a funny joke. There is that disgustingly hilariously one about the Gnome, Elf and Dwarf walking into an outhou... On second thoughts that may not be appropriate for this bunch.

After some thought Jules settled on the least harmful topic he could think of. *ahem* "Brrr.... it sure is getting cold."

Agthorr
2008-03-07, 12:13 PM
Mikootaktoo

As part of preparing to get under, Mik changes Mudwiggle's water. On the wagon, Mik, too, spends time resting and studying his spellbook. Once his studies are complete, Mik asks, "Don't suppose any of you land-lubbers have seen a live octopus before?" He pulls what appears to be an unusually large and sturdy scroll case out of his backpack, secures it between his legs, and unscrews the top. In the dim light of the wagon, the case appears to be filled only with water and a few barnacles. Mik adds, "He's a little shy around new people." Then, talking into the case, "It's okay, Mudwiggle. These are our new friends." Staring in to the case, you first notice that part of the bottom of the case looks rather like an eye--an eye that's looking directly at you. Abruptly, the bottom of the case of the begins to move and change colors, revealing itself to be a happy little octopus who squirts some water right out of the tank.

"No live fish for you today again, I'm sad to say.", says Mikooktaktoo, as he chops up a small piece of rations and drops it into the tank, where Mudwiggle quickly envelopes it.

Zyks
2008-03-07, 03:48 PM
Karthan

The dwarf takes a great interest in the chang from wheels to skis. Although he's not traditional, he still likes technology and workings. He even offers himself as help with the change over.

Back on the wagon, Karthan peers curiously into Mik's box. Such a strange creature, I cannot say I've seen one before. Well well, it seems new things appear every day.

Daryk
2008-03-07, 06:32 PM
Rane

Rane meditated for most of the first part of the trip, and didn't seem to hear Jules' comment on the weather. After the switch from wheels to skids, the elf decided to walk in the snow for a space. The weather didn't seem to affect him, beyond hindering his pace somewhat. He focused out into the storm, tuning out the jingling harnesses of the horses, the hissing of the runners, and the creaking of the 'wagons'.

Rane takes a moment to determine True North and get his bearings, estimating how far they've travelled from Bartleby Grand.

Sucrose
2008-03-07, 07:38 PM
Tel

Roused by the sea wizard's chatter, Tel tips the edge of his hat just enough to let him see what's going on. Looking at the scroll case with something resembling amusement, his eyes widen at the sight of the bizarre, shapeless little creature.

"Er, that's a really.... interestin' critter that ya got there, pal. Where's he from? He is friendly, right?"

H Savvy
2008-03-07, 08:09 PM
Cog takes his seat at the back of the wagon, as before, and watches the lands behind them recede and fade, and sees the lands that replaced them to follow suit and fade away...

When they changed the wagon to the skis, he stood patiently, watching the mercenary crew as they worked. Hey eyed the skis with some fascination, marvelling at the humans' ingenuity and creativity, concepts still somewhat foreign to the warforged. When they were finished, he took his seat at the back once more. Unbothered by the dropping temperatures, he was quite willing to trade to the breeze for the view.

There was some activity in the wagon, and Cog turned to see the sea wizard who owed him a ...drink, holding an ornate case that seemed to fascinate a number of the others. His curiousity taking hold, he rose and found a place in the small crowd where he could see the scrollcase.

Amazing!

There was a... thing in the case. A fantastically odd new ...thing.

Cog pushed his way forward, muttering quiet Excuse me. Pardon me's. He leaned his face very, very close to the case and stared.

He stood up. "Incredible. What did you call it?"

JeminiZero
2008-03-07, 09:05 PM
Jules

Jules' eyes widened slightly in surprise. Having grown up in a coastal fishing village, he knew what an octopus was. "Hey, an octopus. Didn't expect to see one so far inland. Did you say its name was Mudwiggle? Interesting. I am sure there is some story of how it wound up in your scroll case rather than on your dinner plate."

Hmmm... Including the gnome's snake, thats 2 pets in this group. Seems to be getting fashionable. Maybe I should get a pet too...


OOC: Is that a freshwater or saltwater octopus?

Agthorr
2008-03-07, 11:02 PM
Mikootaktoo

"Yes, Mudwiggle is his name and he is an octopus. Fascinating creatures." He pulls Mudwiggle up out of the water so the others can have a look. Mudwiggle crawls playfully all over Mikootaktoo, using the suction cups on his eight arms. "And he is friendly, as long as you're not fish". Eventually Mudwiggle makes his way back into the case. Mik gives him another bit of food, then screws the lid back onto the case.

"I grew up on the open see and formed a bond with Mudwiggle when he was just a baby octopus and I was just beginning to learn the arts of the wizard from my father. Although I never quite pursued them in the manner my father did intend. I was much to fascinated with wrestling. Our ship ran afoul of the a powerful seafaring nation. They sunk our ship and all aboard were killed, save me, because of Mudwiggle. We be exiled from the sea now." Mikootaktoo frowns.

JeminiZero
2008-03-08, 12:25 AM
Jules

Jules' expression changed into one of mild shock and incredulity. That is... some story. I don't think he's lying, but if I were a wanted man, on the run from a powerful nation, I wouldn't tell that to anyone. And I would change my name.

After a few moments of silence, he finally spoke, "So... presumably Mikootaktoo isn't your original name then. So what exactly did your ship do that warranted its total destruction?"

Agthorr
2008-03-08, 12:46 AM
Mikootaktoo

Mikootaktoo replies, "I do not be seeing it as what my ship did. The ruler of Dramatigar desired power of the high seas and built a mighty fleet, each ship with a powerful spellcaster. We had run afoul of some law or another--every nation has its own rules and its own claim to the sea, but they rarely be enforced. Dramatigar destroyed many a ship of good sea-men simply for der defiance. That be long ago and far away, now, and I was just barely a man."

H Savvy
2008-03-08, 10:30 AM
"And he is friendly, as long as you're not fish"

Cog reaches out his hand, just shy of the octopus, seeming apprehensive to touch it. The octopus happily extends a tentacle, and wraps the end of it briefly around the warforged's finger.

"Yes. Quite friendly."

Soon, the sea wizard had replaced his wondrous little pet in its unusual home, and Cog sat back down in his seat at the rear of the wagon.

Mik-oo-tak-t-oo. He was talking about his homeland... about exile.

Cog is quiet, almost sullen. "I... too, have been forced to leave my home."

TwoCents
2008-03-09, 09:23 PM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar

Iv looked up from where she was drowsing in a bundle of blankets, propped against the wall of the wagon.

"<Ooooh! What is That?>" she thought. Happily unwrapping herself, she scrambled down from her bench and took her turn peering at the octopus. As it crawled over Mikootaktoo's arm, Iv shivered in delight. "Oh, I see that you too are blessed with a companion in your travel! Is it not wonderful to have a friend, especially one who knows of the life that the very tiniest hair upon your head was bred to live despite being far from home among strangers! This is my partner in magic," Iv grinned, reaching into a pouch secreted under her armor. "She is called <Destroyer of field mice who threaten the young shoots in the spring time when the oases are in bloom*> and is she not beautiful?" A young snake, dramatically patterned in pale yellow and black diamonds, coiled around Iv's wrist and tested the air with her tongue. The fangs and wide mouth of a viper warned any who knew of snakes that this creature had a poisonous bite.

*AKA Imskelarsamthar

JeminiZero
2008-03-10, 08:35 PM
Jules



Cog is quiet, almost sullen. "I... too, have been forced to leave my home."


"So.... what did you do to get driven out?" Jules asks in a slightly shakey voice.

Ye Gods! I seem to be surrounded by wanted criminals. Well, at least the Gnome seems normal, if a little rash. Jules' gaze wanders over to the Iv and her snake, its fangs and diamond patterns now clearly visible.

Knowledge Nature[roll0]

Jules starts to break out in cold sweat. Or at least, as normal as a girl who sleeps with a deadly poisonous snake can be. Well, I pity the fool who has to share a tent with a venomou... oh wait, its me isn't it? Oh Crap!

H Savvy
2008-03-11, 12:00 AM
"I was... different." The warforged paused. He slowly brought his right hand up in front of him, and he seems entirely focused on it. "I can do... this."

The air was suddenly alive with energy as a deep red blade of translucent energy encompassed and projected from his right hand. It shone for a moment in the semi-gloom of the wagon, and then faded. He lowered his arm.

"I was deemed... no longer fit for active duty. They did not understand. I still do not understand. It is... strange. But it is here," he pointed to his head, "somewhere. I am learning. Always learning."

lotofsnow
2008-03-11, 06:32 AM
Awesome. I've never been so enthralled by a fish in a tube. Everyone take 25 bonus xp for interesting reading.

Iv and Imskelarsamthar -
You intently observe the guards and Bernard, however, you gain no insight as to how the organization is set up. Bernard, obviously the commanding officer, seems intent with his wagon, the one with the stove pipe through the roof. The mercenaries work without instruction, obviously performing tasks to which they are accustomed, coiling rope, securing the wagons, checking axles. They've no doubt broke camp hundreds of times. One stands aside, briefly conversing with the warforged before rummaging through a trunk and handing something to Cog. This one loads the trunk into Bernard's wagon himself and disappears within well before the wagon train gets moving.

Your search of the tent brings up nothing you or your companion didn't bring with you.

Rane -
North is easy to deduce. The New North Road is rumored to be the straightest road in the world and it heads directly North. Based on the speed of the wagons over snow, you deduce you're about a day's journey from the southernmost human settlements of the Ghostwood. Elves and dwarves, you know, inhabit areas several days travel east of here. The Frost Folk, like the ones you face, inhabit all of the northern areas of the woods, several days travel, where the Ghostwood turns into the Winter's Shield Mountains (elvish Tir-faillonith).

Snakes & Squids -
Mudwiggle needs salt water. Of course Mik brought a decent sized bag of salt cubes on this adventure, and, chances are, he can buy more once they get to the mercenary camp.

I don't know about octopuses, but snakes get really sluggish in the cold. If it gets cold (and it will get cold), you guys might find the benefits granted by the familiars reduced. Preventive measures can be taken though.

Jules -
You recognize the snake instantly. You know its species, its potency, and can create a reasonable anti-venom if you were to remove its venom sacs and perform a DC20 heal check to administer (failure by 5 or more kills the recipient).

I'm really enjoying the conversations back and forth as it provides me with material to use later on, and it also lets you guys get familiar with each others characters. I mean, who wants to read a character sheet? I'll let it go on for a while (unless there are objections).

JeminiZero
2008-03-11, 08:32 AM
Jules



"I was deemed... no longer fit for active duty. They did not understand. I still do not understand. It is... strange. But it is here," he pointed to his head, "somewhere. I am learning. Always learning."

Jules calms down slightly upon hearing of Cog's plight. Whew, so he's not a wanted criminal. Merely an innocent being possessing unknown powers deemed too dangerous to permit his continued presence in his homeland. Actually, that doesn't sound too good either. Well, he does seem to have sufficient control over it, so it can't be that bad. Although I do wonder exactly what kind of power was that...


Presumably its a Knowledge Psionics check to learn more about Cog's powers. Unfortunately, Jules' Dark Knowledge doesn't cover that.


"There there Cog. You have us now, I'm sure we'll be able to think of something." consoled Jules.

He turns to Iv and asks in a slightly concerned tone, "That is clearly a Viper, if I have ever seen one, and a rather poisonous one at that. Presumably you have removed its poison glands, or did some such to make it a safe pet. Right?!"

Zyks
2008-03-11, 08:55 AM
Karthan

The dwarf watched the warforge summoning a blade from nothingness.

Well that would certainly be a useful skill to have. Would save me carrying all these blades at least.

Karthan isn't phased at all by the presence of a venemous snake. If it was necessary, he could probably slice it in half before it has chance to react. And resist the poison too. Though hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

The ninja takes out his Masterwork Kurki and turns to some basic maintenance and cleaning of the blade.

Sucrose
2008-03-11, 01:01 PM
Tel

At the sight of Cog's blade-calling, Tel simply nods.

"Yeah, you used that back against those fey, right? So, it isn't standard issue for golems made like you. Sorry ta hear it's caused ya trouble."

He seems about to ask Cog a bit more, but Tel is quickly alarmed by Jules's proclamation. He shifts a bit, to face Iv and her pet, and to make sure that he's out of striking distance.

Cripes... and I thought keeping a little beast like Mik's was strange! The fun never ends with this band.

TwoCents
2008-03-11, 02:08 PM
I don't know about octopuses, but snakes get really sluggish in the cold. If it gets cold (and it will get cold), you guys might find the benefits granted by the familiars reduced. Preventive measures can be taken though.

Such as starting each day with Endure Elements shared spell? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

H Savvy
2008-03-11, 02:13 PM
Cog shook his head.

"No. Not standard. Not normal. But the trouble is my own." He glanced up at Jules, briefly. "My burden."

Cog turned to Mik-oo-ta-

Cog turned to Mik. "You must miss your home. I am sorry."

lotofsnow
2008-03-11, 02:16 PM
Such as starting each day with Endure Elements shared spell? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Indeed. That's one way.

TwoCents
2008-03-11, 02:31 PM
Iv and Imskelarsamthar



He turns to Iv and asks in a slightly concerned tone, "That is clearly a Viper, if I have ever seen one, and a rather poisonous one at that. Presumably you have removed its poison glands, or did some such to make it a safe pet. Right?!"


"Pet? Pet? PET? <bad words bad words bad words bad words bad words really bad words bad ogrish words bad bad very bad words>!"

Iv finally sputtered to a stop, glaring at Jules. Imsk, startled by the wash of emotions, had zipped up Iv's arm and was coiled around Iv's shoulder, her tiny viper head peeking out of Iv's hood. "Hssssss, rattle-tat-rattle"

"Imskelarsamthar is my friend, my companion, my partner in magic! She is the one being who chose to come with me on this misbegotten trip to these nasty wet cold lands! She is no pet to be trained to fetch a ball or mew by the fireside, nor has she been 'made safe' to comfort the fears of pewling softbodies who hide in their little huts. Am I 'safe'? Would you have me grind the edge off my blades so that they might not cut the tender flesh of our enemies? Have you been rendered 'safe'? I think not! She is a snake; treat her with respect and she will treat you the same; treat her with scorn and she will respond in kind as well. 'Safe!' I ought to show you 'safe'!" *stomps off to her bench*

Quietly she collected her familiar and replaced her in the bag of sand. "<There, there, my little one. He didn't know any better. You scared him, that's all. Shhhh. Nobody's cutting out anything.>" She continued muttering sotto voce for a while and then curled up in her blankets ready to doze, one hand on her kukri and the other curled over the bulge of Imskelar's sleeping pouch.

OOC: Yes, I know that Iv and Imsk can't really talk to each other yet, but Iv is convinced otherwise.

Daryk
2008-03-11, 05:24 PM
Rane

The sound of ogrish curses immediately drew Rane's attention back to the wagon. Clambering back aboard, he tried to determine what had provoked the foul language in a foul tongue, but only saw the gnome curling up in her blankets, murmuring to herself. Frowning, he took a seat. It had to have been her voice, but why would she even know that tongue, much less utter it here?

Sucrose
2008-03-12, 05:35 PM
Tel

Nasty, wet, cold lands? Pewling softbodies?

Tel shakes his head in annoyance.

"Tch. Trust a friggin' nomad ta not appreciate the existence of rain," he mutters to himself. "She calls people from 'round here weak again, 'n I'll show her just how 'weak' we are."

Tipping his slouch hat back over his face, Tel sits back on his bench, grumbling into its crown.

H Savvy
2008-03-18, 10:53 AM
The gnome's furious tirade startled Cog, and he sat back and watched the small desert-traveller verbally unleash on the poor young man in the robes.

Peoples. Cog found them fascinating, but wearying. Endless ingenuity and ability to surprise, endless power to cause headaches...

All this talk of homelands... exile... Cog was getting homesick. He turned his head towards the disappearing North Road behind them and lost himself in the Past..

Agthorr
2008-03-19, 08:29 AM
Mikootaktoo

Listen: [roll0]

H Savvy
2008-03-19, 09:00 AM
Listen: [roll0]

JeminiZero
2008-03-20, 01:13 AM
listen: [roll0]

Edit: Help! The Dice are trying to kill me!