PDA

View Full Version : Into the Breach [IC]



Pages : [1] 2

Darius
2008-02-13, 04:03 PM
This space is reserved for Into the Breach

http://24.97.85.139/java/mmee/ <- use this link to get to map maker site


1st - To use, you copy the goofy text from the line with BEGIN all the way down to the one with END (it works best if you CTRL C it instead of using your mouse).

2nd - Then you click on the link -> http://24.97.85.139/java/mmee/

3rd - Paste (CTRL V) copied text for map in the smaller rectangle under the bigger box (the one with the scroll arrows).

4th - click Load Map button

5th - look at map as reference to posting

Also the other buttons like Cycle Grid allows graph papers of different types to be used.

The text I linked at the top is the one that needs to be used due to a glitch.

Darius
2008-02-19, 01:27 AM
Readying 20, 598 C.Y.
Coinage: Sterling (PP), Noble (GP), Shield (SP), Common (CP)

After the oppression of the black prince, the people of Nyrond have shown again their resilience to tribulations. Reports indicate that the citizenry in the cities and countryside of Nyrond have nearly completed rebuilding where the so called Empire did so much to tear down the what had been built since the end of the Greyhawk wars.

In a public statement, King Lynwerd proclaimed the pride he felt for how the populace has stepped forward to wipe away the memory of a dark day in the history of the Kingdom. The King also praised the bravery of the Aristocracy, soldiery, and licensed adventures of the Kingdom who proved their loyalty to the Realm and were instrumental in driving out the pretender and restoring the rightful government of the land.

King Lynwerd now has asked the good people of Nyrond to set their sights on helping all of the Flanaess heal. "We must help others as we have helped ourselves. We have been brothers and sisters to each other, and now the time has come to help our neighbors."

Since that time, a proclaimation has been sent out that licenses to adventure within the Kingdom of Nyrond will be issued to those that seek to be the emissaries of brotherhood. Adventurers are to seek the legion offices in the nearest command post.

Each of the party has headed to Womtham to register with Legion II (Drake). Womtham is located along the Bone March Border and the Duchy of the Flint Hills. A trade town located at the end of the navigable Duntide, the province capital is a highly prosperous city. Metals from the Flinty Hills and produce from the Gamboge come here to be loaded onto ships to be transported South. The Royal mint is also located here and provides profit and employment. The current population of 19,200 is the net of considerable change in recent years. Prior to the war the city held a respectable 13,000. The disruptions and dangers in Almor caused many to flee here and temporarily raised the population to over 24,000. With the return of more peaceful times, many of these refugees have returned to their old homes, but not all of them. The population is still too large for the city to comfortably hold, and a shanty town of the many refugees is to the south. Although difficult to get a true census, one could speculate that nearly 7,000 people have made their homes there.

The cold of winter has made travel difficult, but you have managed to arrive at Womtham. As you approach the city gates, a member of the watch wearing a tabard depicting a dragon matching that of the pennents flying overhead leaves the firebarrel and approaches and registers the name you give in a log, takes your toll of 1 silver shield, asks your business, and gives a sideways glance to the other guards with a sarcastic smirk. He says, "Adventurer's, eh? Ye'll be needing to see Captain Largent in the Merchant District for your writ." He removes his gloves, takes out some leather strips, and says, "Weapons need to be peacebound and bows unstrung, please." He approaches and ties weapons larger than a dagger with an intricate knot to their scabbards. You could still draw your weapon, but it would break the peacebond, which would undoubtedly indicate to any watchman that you had done so - incurring whatever penalty there may be. Staves appear to not be considered weapons, but rather walking sticks. He watches as you unstring any bow or crossbow. Once satisfied, the guard says, "Welcome to Womtham," and waves you in.

There is little time for questions as a large number of people seem to be entering and leaving. Most of the people seem to be workers who show papers which allow them to bypass the gate tax. It appears as though the walls of the city are being expanded to encompass the growing city. A new moat is being added around that wall, with the water being continously fed by the nearby Duntide River. It looks like this work has the added bonus of employing a good number of the shanty residents, giving hope for the city's improvement from its current state.

You eventually make your way to City Watch Headquarters. Inside, there is a bottleneck of various individuals awaiting an audience. A desk sergeant takes your name and reason for being at headquarters. He tells you to wait in the crowded staging area. You manage to find room on one of the benches and are left to your thoughts - one of which is that you are thankful to be out of the cold. After several hours of waiting, your name is called and you are brought to a nearby room. A table dominates one end of the windowed room, and chairs are lined up on the opposite side. Behind the table is a large map (http://web.onyxgate.com/nyr/gazetteer/womtham/womtham.jpg) of the city.

ooc: D3 is Merchant's District; 10 is the City Watch HQ

Other like individuals are ushered in. After some time, an older man of obvious rank enters. His beard and mustache are peppered with gray and white. His surcoat covers him from the cold, but the chink of metal can be heard both from his spurs and the chain shirt he must be wearing underneath. The well-worn hilt of a longsword is at one hip, and the handle of the traditional black sap of the watch hangs from his belt. Other than the chain of office, a holy symbol of Heironeous appears to be the only other accessory. He stands in front of the map and stares at each of you - his gaze lingers longer than most and borders on uncomfortable. It is as if he is looking into your hearts and can see into your souls. When his eyes lock on you, you cannot help but think back on the bad things you have done and the wrongs you have committed.

After what seems like ages, the man finally says, "I'm Captain Largent, and you're wasting my precious time. I'll cut right to the chase - you are all here because you want to renew your Marques of Free Service in the name of our one King. The fee is 100 Nobles. From the looks on your faces and your general appearance, it would seem that you cannot afford such a fee. That is understandable, for times are tough and taxes are high. Since it is my name that goes upon the writ, that means that I am responsible. Now, I am a reasonable man, so I am willing to make a deal that is equitable for us all. This winter has lasted longer than what we would have thought. That means that the men at Big Rapids are going to be going without food very soon. I can't have that, especially when Sir Laurel Boomgren, a distant nephew of the Duke of Womtham, Duke Finelann Boomgren, is in command there. However, ever since our good Duke has put us under martial law, I cannot afford the amount of man power needed to make sure the food gets there safely. There are many eyes watching what goes on down at the piers, and most of the workers there also happen to live in the shanty town. I'm sure that they each would be happy to deliver a bag or so of grain, but it I doubt it would be to Laurel's men. By disguising the food's departure in a private boat, this situation would be averted. It'll be a two day trip up the river, and some of our navy will be out of uniform as crew; however, you are to be the needed protection for the boat and are to insure that all the food gets to the fort or the deal is off. What say you?"

Darius
2008-02-20, 12:03 PM
ooc: If you could give a description of your characters as part of your first post, it would be helpful for all. If you want to back post part of your wait in the 'war-room' feel free to do so as well.

Current Party (The Magnificent Seven):
Griff Brutalles (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3679) - Human F3 (Vazzaroth)
Jaeur Pershing (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3142) - Human Marshal3 (GimliFett)
Jaxal Pralest (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3151) Fey-blooded Rogue1/Sorcerer1/Blooded1 (Dustyme)
Jomei (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3186) - half-orc Ranger3 (LatemYvaeh)
Kirke (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3261) - Human Transmuter3 (Maryring)
Mellavin Shortbark (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3078
) - Dwarf C1/Bar2 (Bender)
Shep Tookshire (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3060) - Halfling Druid3 (Margrave)

Margrave
2008-02-20, 04:38 PM
Shep Tookshire

A halfling decked in woolen wintergear rides through town upon a large collie. Under his cloak, a sickle hangs at his belt - otherwise, he has little else for weapons. He wears leather studded with antler pieces, and he also has a small buckler made of darkwood upon his arm. He has donned a functional cloth headwrapping like many of the shepherders wear. His weathered face seems rather cheerful and charismatic. Around his neck is a holy symbol to Obad-hai; it seems to be carved from some strange wood.

In the waiting room, he smiles at the other party members and strokes the head of the ever present dog at his side. He seems to be a bit out of his element indoors, and he always seems to be looking outside the window as if he wished to be there.

He listens intently to the Captain. He looks around to the others to see if they are going to respond when he is through. It seems he can wait no longer when he chimes in, "Me and Best'll help you out. I haven't ever been on a boat, but it sure seems like it would be a fun thing to do. That would be worth the price in my mind, that is for sure."

Vhaeryl
2008-02-20, 05:33 PM
Zaefner Wust

A pale young man sits silently on the bench, in apparent meditation. A shield rests against the wall next to him, adorned with the same crest as his armor; at his side, a massive, finely crafted scimitar. Marks of fresh grief line an otherwise handsome face. As his name is called, his head lifts, revealing pale blue eyes.

As he waits in the chamber, he studies the map on the table carefully.

Upon the arrival of the captain, he stands rigidly at attention. Listening to the proposal, he seems preoccupied. After the halfling offers his services, he steps forward, tugging free a small pouch hanging from his belt, and tossing it onto the table.

"100 Nobles, as per the requirement. I will accept your charge and ensure that the supplies reach Big Rapids; but I would rather renew my Marque sooner, rather than later".

He steps back into line.

GimliFett
2008-02-20, 05:36 PM
Jaeur Pershing

A man of middle years, slightly above average height and build, stands to the side of the waiting room. He was there when the others arrived and seemed to have been waiting for some time. His face is somewhat lined from weather and it is obvious he has seen much in his lifetime. He wears fine banded mail embossed with the Pershing family crest while a heavy indigo cloak drapes from his shoulders. The well-worn hilt of a longsword hangs easily from his sword belt, ready to be drawn with the left hand should the need arise. Behind him, leaning against the wall is a darkwood shield, emblazoned with a symbol bearing a shiled with a bastard sword, sunburst, two golden spheres and two victory runes. For those with religious training, it is the symbol of Mayaheine, a somewhat recent addition to the court of Pelor; a demigoddess of protection, justice and valor.

The man's copper-brown hair has a few streaks of silver here and there. His gray-blue eyes remind one of a partially cloudy winter day. He holds his head high, clearly both a military and noble bearing.

After hearing Captain Largent's offer, and after both the halfling and the younger human have spoken, his clear yet powerful baritone carries throughout the room. "Captain. I am Jaeur Pershing. 'Twould be my honor to join the expedition, and lead it to success. If we are to travel upriver by boat, will we return by same? If yes, I will need stabling for my horse. Otherwise, I would like to have him accompany me for the return ride."

Jaeur is pronounced JAY ur. :smallsmile:

Bender
2008-02-20, 05:40 PM
Mellavin Shortbark

An odd dwarf in the strength of his years patiently waits for his name to be called. He is rather tall for a dwarf, well muscled too, and his beard is neatly trimmed, but only about an inch long. He wears a breastplate with a unicorn engraved on the chest and spikes around the shoulders. Contrasting these spikes it has a certain elegance in its leafy design unusual for dwarven metalworks. He wears a green tunic underneath and brown trousers. A huge sword is stripped, and now sealed, to his back, accompanied by some javelins, and a morningstar resides at his belt, next to a holy symbol of Ehlonna.

He seems to be slightly nervous about something, maybe its anticipation of what's coming, maybe the absence of other dwarves in the party, or maybe it's being confined between four walls and a roof. He doesn't actively engage in conversation, but occasionally supplements with a general, good-humored comment and a kind smile. He curiously watches the others, nodding friendly when he meets their eyes.

Rather slow in processing the information Captain Largent is flooding over them, Mellavin eventually responds in an honest, but not very refined voice: "Sure sounds like a noble job, Captain, you can count on me."

Darius
2008-02-20, 08:49 PM
\
Captain Largent

The captain looks down at the halfling and nods. When Zaefner pulls out his money pouch and produces the 100 gold coins Captain Largent says, "I hope you understand that you will not be paid this back upon completion of the mission. You may retract your payment if you wish, or else I will grant you your writ."

When Jaeur mentions his horse, the Captain says, "I would expect nothing less. As for your horse, you may wish to bring it with - or else it may find its way into the cooking pot."

The Captain looks at Mellavin and nods. He then looks at the others gathered here.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-20, 09:19 PM
Zaefner Wust

"I would not expect otherwise. I would simply rather have the writ prior to embarking on this particular voyage."

Zaefner pauses a moment, with a self-deprecating grin.

"I must admit, I am not terribly fond of boats."

Dustyme
2008-02-20, 09:26 PM
---Jax---
Jaxal is a teen he stands 5s '6" and very skinny he carries some hint a fey or elven heritage in both his eyes and features. His eyes are a green so deep it reminds you of a forest canopy. He wears a wide hooded black and brown cloak over a blood red set of clothes. Jax's face and hands have a chalky look to them as if he goes out of his way to rub ash upon his skin also you see various arcane looking symbols drawn backwards upon his flesh. At his side he maintains a rapier in very good condition and a high quality bow of darkwood rests lightly in his left hand. He seems to have a few nervous habits such as mumbling to himself and twiddling his fingers randomly at unseen beings. A cat with strange markings (http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/./photos/uncategorized/2007/06/20/paintedcat32.jpg) glides between his steps as he walks.

"I am Jaxal Pralest sir. I am here to do as needed according to my gentlman's agreement with another." Jax takes a document out of a scrollcase in his pack and hands it to the Captain.

"If you would be so kind as to verify my service with a signature..."

ooc:
The document is to prove he's serving his time assisting the Kingdom (regarding his sentence for crimes commited :smallwink: )

"As for our payment, I mine as well kill two birds with one stone eh?"
Jax waits to get the document back (after the captain signs it) then secures it and walks back over to his chair and tries to adjust a few of the lumps in the cushion before plopping himself down again.

GimliFett
2008-02-20, 09:33 PM
Jaeur Pershing

"Of course, Captain. I had not considered that issue. My thanks." Jaeur turns to the others. "As you heard, I am Jaeur Pershing. A marshal of the Realm. It will be my pleasure and honor to lead you in this important mission. May I inquire as to the names of my companions?" he inquires with a formal bow.

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-21, 02:17 AM
Daven Plainstrider

A man with a graceful stride enters the room, examining it's inhabitants carefully. Old Studded Leather creaking, his outfit seems a bit ragged if not also well-kept, as one normally sees with those who often travel. His black hair is short from recent cutting while a spyglass hangs about his side, ready to be used. At his sides hang two peace knots: one for a long sword, one for a short sword. Around his back is a well cared-for composite bow and a rather full quiver of arrows. Also bearing a backpack and bedroll, packed together tightly, and strung under the bow.

As Captain Largent, as well as the other members, speaks, Daven intently listens, taking note of his mission. Daven does show a very small smile upon seeing the halfling. The smile, however, is also very wary.

Daven, nodding, says:
It seems like this food is well needed especially to those who live in the shanties. The food is still going to prevent starvation, however, so I will gladly be your delivery boy.

Bender
2008-02-21, 03:53 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Beaming, the dwarf offers his hand to Jaeur. "Nice to meet you Jaeur, I'm Mellavin Shortbark, I'm from Adri Forest. It's a nice place, you know." After that he goes around as everyone introduces himself, offering to shake everyone's hand. His shake is firm an short.

Darius
2008-02-21, 11:58 AM
Captain Largent

Captain Largent nods to Jaeur. The captain then looks at Zaefner. He replies, "Your name is Wust, correct?" Without waiting for an answer, Captain Largent collects the coins and looks to leave when Jaxal stops him with his papers. The captain takes those as well and says, "I'll be right back." Largent wastes little time and energy in his movements - he is a picture of efficiency.

The only woman, a wizardess by the looks of her, remains quiet as the introductions are being made. In a few moments, Captain Largent returns with several documents, pen, and ink. He hands the letter back to Jaxal. Upon inspection, a wax stamp has been placed upon it which is undoubtedly that of the captain's. He hands Zaefner a wax sealed envelope. If compared, the stamp on Jaxal's letter of service is the same as that which seals the envelope. The envelope has a bulge which is undoubtely the letter of marquee along with the badgelike pin that accompanies it.

Once that is done, Captain Largent speaks, "Here is the contract of which I spoke. It reads: The undersigned are conscripted into temporary service for Captain Largent of the Second Legion. We have agreed to deliver the following contents in their entirety to Sir Laurel Boomgren, commander of Big Rapids: 30 sacks of dried beans, 15 sacks of rice, and 25 sacks of flour. In return for this successful service, the undersigned shall be granted Letters of Marquee granting them certified adventurer status in the name of King Lynwerd under the supervision of the Second Legion and Womtham."

Captain Largent then sets the contract down on the table, uncorks the vial of ink, and puts the pen next to it for the party to sign. The contract is written as read, and the captain makes sure that proper signatures are given. Once all have signed, he will cork up the ink and take the pen, but leaves the scroll out to dry as he speaks, "The ship will be loaded tonight, and will set sail at dawn. This will give the navy enough time to ready the vessel. The ship is called The Wavemistress and is located on Pier 8. The craft shall be commanded by an officer named Bartholomew." Largent pulls out the last of his documents, a sealed letter, and hands it to Jaeur. He continues, "Give him this letter of introduction to verify your service. Remember - tell no one of this. This is for your own safety. Unless there are any questions, I wish you a good journey."

GimliFett
2008-02-21, 12:18 PM
Jaeur Pershing

After signing the contract with a flourish, and hearing the final details of the mission, the marshal bows respectfully to Captain Largent as he receives the letter of introduction. "Where would you recommend we stay the night until our departure, sir?"

Darius
2008-02-21, 01:25 PM
Jaeur Pershing
"Where would you recommend we stay the night until our departure, sir?"

Captain Largent replies candidly, "Indoors, that's for bloody sure." He thinks for a moment, "If you are a mercenary whose dues are paid up, the Iron Fist Guild House would have at least a room or two to stay in. Otherwise, many of the rooms have been taken due to the cold and overcrowding. Only the higher priced rooms remain, and the common rooms fill up quickly. The closest boarding house to the docks is the Belay and Breakfast. Rosie should have a hot and a cot for you if you are quick enough and your money is good. It's located on the River Run - the rose wrapped around a belaying pin is the sign."

GimliFett
2008-02-21, 01:33 PM
Jaeur Pershing

With a nod, Jaeur turns to the others. "Would you good folks care to join me? We can spend the evening getting better acquainted and accustomed with and to each other as well as make what plans we can for the trip." He lifts up his shield and pack, which had been lying behind the shield, and prepares to depart. "A common room may not be the best option for us, given the need for discretion."

Bender
2008-02-21, 02:25 PM
Mellavin Shortbark

Mellavin's thoughts trail of during the description of the mission details, as he sees that others pay more careful attention. He jumps slightly when he has to sign and is called back to attention. Without rereading the text he signs with his name.

"Sounds like a good plan, Jaeur, I'm with you, I look forward to getting to know you all, this could be enjoyable, don't you think." As he was carrying all his stuff all the time, he has nothing to pack and is ready to follow Jaeur.

Dustyme
2008-02-21, 02:42 PM
---Jaxal---

Jaxal stops mumbling and looks up as Jaeur speaks. He walks to the table and signs the contract.
"Contracts bah, I have given my word and shall hold to it. A piece of paper cannot guarantee what I choose to do or not to do. The only reason I have this trash is because I must..." Jax holds up the scroll case and shakes it with that last statement.

He then looks at Jaeur and gives him what could either be a smile or possibly a prelude to being sick. "Certainly, I agree to a warm Inn. Besides I am in no mood tonight for sport or show so a quite place to reflect and discuss or situation sounds good enough. I hate sleeping in the cold or the wet. No offense intended sir." (The last said while looking at the Halfling who obviously (To Jax) prefers sleeping in the leaves to a warm bed.)

Jaxal stands and pulls his cloak more securely around his waist and shoulders then tugs at the opening to his wrist widening the hole.

"Come Toby."

The oddly patterned cat that isn't much more than a kitten leaps into the sleeve and disappears. Jax folds his arms protectively and steps cautiously out of the room glancing in left, right, up and finally down as if he is looking for an ambush to appear from the ground itself. Satisfied nothing is jumping out at him he makes his way following the Captain's directions to the boarding house.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upon arriving at the boarding house Jax raps his long delicate fingers on the front door then checks to see if it is unlocked.

Hhmm, if the proprietress didn't want us inside she would not rent rooms.
He makes his way to the bar (?) and bows courteously. "Madam, I would like to secure a room for the evening and hot meals for this eve and the early morn time. Perhaps you might even have some hot spiced cider and a smallish cup of warm milk?" Jax reaches into his robe to withdraws the necessary coin from his supply and his other arms rests on the counter Toby the cat takes the opportunity to slide out of the warm sleeve and sit on the counter to start preening himself.

"Shall I exchange these mundane funds for your largess or might I offer my abilities as an apprentice seer? I have been training to make use of my powers in the telling of fortunes and love..."

Bluff [roll0] To convince her to take a telling rather than coin. (Jax actually believes he is fortune telling although he adds to the act to enhance the tellings.)

Darius
2008-02-21, 04:05 PM
Evening - Readying 20, 598 C.Y.
Coinage: Sterling (PP), Noble (GP), Shield (SP), Common (CP)

Setting: The Belay and Breakfast

After the party completes their questions and contract signing, Captain Largent ushers you out a side door and points the party in the direction of the docks. It seems to the party that Jaeur is a born leader and certainly has the experience to show for it. Other than Mellavin (a dwarf), Shep (a halfling), and Daven (his almond shaped eyes and slightly pointed ears give away the fact that there is elven in his bloodline), the party seems to be mostly human...if Jaxal is human, that is. It is difficult to identify Jaxal's heritage, for he seems human but he doesn't appear to be Oeridian like many of the folk around here. Perhaps his coloring put him to be among the more savage folk or Flannish, for tattooing and body painting are common among them.

The party follows Jaeur to the wharf. A biting wind stings your flesh when you walk down River Run. Many warehouses are in this area, but soon you spy the standard described by the captain flapping inte the breeze. The windows are fogged up, but a warm orange glow beckons you near. As you approach, the sounds of laughter and myrth can be heard within. A fiddle and hand organ are being played and loud singing is audible.

Jaeur ties his horse to a hitching post for the moment, and the group enters. The scene that unfolds is much like what you might expect. People of all sorts are gathered within - all human, but many Rhennee. The singing and dancing doesn't stop when you enter, but several stares are felt and noticed. A middle-aged Rhennee bustles over to your group, in her hair is a red handkerchief that matches an embroidered rose upon her top coat.

"Vistors! How nice, please come in loves - before you catch a death out there. Now, how can Rosie help you this evening?"

When Jaxal offers up his services in lieu of payment, Rosie laughs it off, takes the coinage, and says, "It looks like my stars are in alignment, for my tall, dark, and handsome stranger has arrived." She makes no attempt to hide her pleasing look at the handsome Jaeur.

She leads the group over to a table and shoes away those there, "Make way, paying customers are here." She then smiles and says, "I'll be back in a flash with your order, and I have something special for your furry friends."

Rosie leaves the group and goes into a kitchen area.

Dustyme
2008-02-21, 04:35 PM
---Jaxal---

Jax shrugs unconcerned that Rosie doesn't wish her fortune told.


Upon her commentary of tall, dark and handsome Jax looks slightly confused and very nervous.

Tall? Uh oh, here it goes again Toby...

Just as he starts to stand to explain to her that he has to many things on his mind at the moment when he realizes she's salivating over Jaeur.

"Oh. Ok then..." He plops the few inches back into his seat.

"Thank you Miss's. Toby be polite and thank the lady." Toby does his cat thing and decides swatting at the dwarfs beard is much more interesting than allowing a mere human to have his attention right now.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-21, 08:49 PM
Zaefner

Outside the inn, Zaefner seems to hesitate before securing his horse to the hitching post. "Go on ahead and save me a spot at the table, I'll be along in a moment." As soon as the party is inside, he fumbles with the rope, hands shaking with more than just the cold.

Entering the inn himself, he arrives just in time to catch the barmaids flirtations with Jaeur. Smiling to himself, he follows the group to the table.

Making himself as comfortable as one can be while wearing armor, he studies his companions intently.

The dwarf seems like he can probably handle himself in a fight. Jaeur, the half-elf and the mage as well...the rest I suppose I'll have to wait and see.


Zaefner lets out a sigh of relief, thankful to be in out of the cold.

"So tell me...Jaeur, was it? What is your story? I mean no offense, but you seem to be a bit past your prime to be beginning a career as a mercenary."

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-21, 10:38 PM
Daven Plainstrider

Daven allows himself to be led to the tavern and he looks at the inn with an uncertain pace. Don't be too slow. he says to Zaefner. As he goes in, he stops and carefully searches the room looking for anything unusual or anything that might cause trouble.

Spot Check: [roll0]

ooc: My old DM used to always makes us do a spot check to search the room. If this is unessessary then ignore this

He begins to sit at the table but then looks worried while he examines his coin purse. As Rosie walks off, Daven stands up and looks around the room for someone who can help him out, saying to the group, "No worries, I shall return." As a short Rhennee woman walks by, he taps her on the shoulder:

Excuse me, but you can call me Daven. I seem to be in bit of a spot. Me being a man of of utmost importance, I was wondering if you could pay for my room tonight. I assure you, it is for a good cause.


Bluff: [roll1]
ooc: Daven has a somewhat humble opinion of himself. He feels he needs to conserve what little he has.

Edit:Oops I slipped and used Rux, silly me.

Dustyme
2008-02-21, 11:11 PM
---Jax---

Not 1 hour together and the halfling is trying to drive off my potential customers. Man that was the worst come on since Warty Mcfinckle used that bad love potion that just made that rich girl sick...

Jax casts prestidigitation to distract the poor woman before she slaps the halfling and causes trouble.

Speaking strange words as he walks up behind the halfling claps his hands.
"Shim sala gliop! soyo souq nEhiK!"

A mini tornado (3' tall x 2' wide at the top) appears in the halflings palm that begins to collect bits of dust. Soon a small figure made of dust appears and the tornado collapses. The figure pulls out a tiny fiddle and bigins to play and dance (no sound).
"Behold my little friend holding his little friend!"
All the while Jax waves his arms around and wiggles his fingers like he is controling a puppet.
Preform (Act) [roll0]
Whispers to Davven: "Next time your on your own."

Edit: Used the wrong name for the whisper.

Bender
2008-02-22, 03:23 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Mellavin asks for a glas of Elven wine, if they have it "I feel like treating myself tonight"

As Daven asks the woman for money, Mellavin calls after him "Don't worry lad, we're in this together, I can pay for your room if need be, and you can pay me back later" He adds with a laugh and a wink "Although I tend to forget these things, so you'll have to remind me."

When Jaxal's cat approaches, he starts stroking it "Hi Kitty" (His beard is only an inch long, contrary to most dwarven beards) And with the slightest of green glitter in his eyes, he starts making soft purring and meowing sounds:"What nice patterns do you have in your fur. What do they mean? Do you want me to scratch under your chin?"

Darius
2008-02-22, 10:17 AM
Rosie's

The party manages to find themselves out of the cold air, and it seems this is one place that is open to outsiders. Many of those within are Rhennee, the famed gypsy river folk that many hear stories about. Rosie brings over piping hot fish stew, crackers, two bottles of wine (both elven), warm bread and a tub of butter. She puts two bowls down for the cat - one is filled with various fish pieces and the other is milk. From her apron, she pulls out a large ham bone and tosses it to Best, the dog.

"Now, you let Rosie know if you need anything else." When the half-elven Daven asks to have his meal and board gratis, Rosie's face clouds over with confusion. When Jaxal performs his trick, Rosie and the other patrons take it in. The patrons speak to one another in a strange common dialect with smiles on their faces. Rosie says, "Well, aren't you a stitch? Don't you do nothing else until I get back from preparing your rooms. I wish I could give you more, but we are pretty full at the moment and have only two rooms available." Rosie then smiles and heads up the stairs.

Daven takes time to scan the room, it appears as though this warrior is used to doing such things and would make a good scout or ranger.

ooc:
For Daven:

You see nothing out of the ordinary. You do note that the Rhennee have knives and the like, but this is common - especially among sailors. However, a few of the knives appear to be quite intricate - with silver pommels. The men have beautifully tooled leather goods and armor.


ic:
While you are enjoying your meal, one of the Rhennee men comes over to Jaxal and says in accented common, "That pretty goot trick. Gregor is name. Interest in leather, no?" He shows his black leather armor which is obviously masterwork, for the tooling and suppleness of it is evident to even the untrained eye. "Haf many size and color."

Rosie comes back down and the thick mustached man behind the bar barks out a few words in the strange gypsy dialect. Rosie responds and shoos Gregor away speaking the Rhennee tongue sharply. "My apologies for Gregor. Opa says you have horses, yes? He will show you where to put them."

The thick chested man puts on a coat and beckons the two horsemen outside. He leads them around to a warehouse door next to the Rosie's place. He uses a key to unlock the padlock and opens the door. Rats scurry away inside from the commotion of the interruption. "Here. No stable - apologies." He says in thick common. "No wind, yes?" The warehouse is mostly empty, but several crates are inside. Only the number 8 is visible upon them. When Opa notices your interest, he says, "Box come zwei night past." He holds up two fingers. "Come, go now." He locks up the warehouse and returns the key to around his neck when the horses are secured. He then returns with the riders.

When everyone has returned, Rosie brings out warm sweet bread. She winks at Jaeur and says, "So, ye'll come back to Rosies for my sweets."

Edit:
For Zaefner:

While you were inside the warehouse, you noticed an unsually large rat watching you (you swear it had to be over 3' long). It's glowing red eyes glittered with intelligence. Before you could do much of anything about it, the creature scuttled away down the drain in the middle of the warehouse floor.

GimliFett
2008-02-22, 10:22 AM
Zaefner
"So tell me...Jaeur, was it? What is your story? I mean no offense, but you seem to be a bit past your prime to be beginning a career as a mercenary."

The marshal gives Rosie a charming smile and a nod of acknowledgement when she returns from the kitchen.

At Zaefner's query, Jaeur turns to face the younger man. "Fairly simple story. Third son of a minor noble, both of my older brothers are married and carrying on family business, so I'm out of the loop. I was trained at the Military Academy and gained a small degree of recognition for my deeds against the Black Prince, but not enough to be given any position of authority." He pauses a moment, to consider his next words.

"I feel a need to truly accomplish something important in my life, unfettered by my family's name," he speaks with a passion that seems to rise in his voice as he continues. "I have met Count Dunstan, and consider him a good and just man. I wish to help him secure Knurl and establish the Bone March as a realm for good rather than a mire of evil and savagery."

He stops once more, noting that his voice had risen above his intended volume. "Pardon my zeal. Regardless, that is my plan. If, in the process, I am able to establish my own name, and possibly title, all the better. But mostly I do it because it needs to be done, and there are few out there who wish to better the world. I may be a hair past my prime, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of dealing with the rigors or hardships ahead of us. You will find me to be a valuable ally and friend, in due time."

He continues his story as they care for the horses; Jaeur sets a feedbag on his mount and covers the stallion with his own winter blanket atop the saddle blanket.

Once they return to their table, he smiles at Rosie. "No apologies are necessary, Rosie. I thank you for your hospitality. And the sweets. I will certainly return whenever I am able." he continues and dips his head in a seated courtly bow.

Darius
2008-02-22, 11:33 AM
ooc: I meant to send this to the player privately, but the board is really acting up for me.

For Zaefner:

While you were inside the warehouse, you noticed an unsually large rat watching you (you swear it had to be over 3' long). It's glowing red eyes glittered with intelligence. Before you could do much of anything about it, the creature scuttled away down the drain in the middle of the warehouse floor.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-22, 12:14 PM
Zaefner smiles sadly at Jaeur's story, noting similarities with his own.

"Well, there is at least one other person out there who thinks the world needs improvement. I journey for mostly the same reasons as do you."
While caring for his horse, Zaefner seems to tense up, looking at something in the distance.
"You know...I was planning on staying at the guild hall tonight, but I think I've changed my mind. Something...I don't know, something just doesn't feel right."

GimliFett
2008-02-22, 01:38 PM
Jaeur Pershing

Jaeur looks at Zaefner with a puzzled expression. "Do tell," he requests.

Boy we like our ae's don't we! :smallbiggrin:

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-22, 04:53 PM
----Jomei (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3186)----

Shortly after Captain Largent walked out of the staging area and the other people left preparing to find their lodging a surly looking half orc walks out of the Captains office. He stands 5’ 11” his hair is hacked short as if he cut it himself with one the axes hanging on the off of his belt his eyes look like black pits and are unnerving to stare directly into and his skin while tanned has a slight grey tint. He wears dark brown boots and grey breaches his light grey shirt is covered by chain shirt made of a strange grey metal that matches the axe blades. Across his back is a quiver with a beautiful heavy composite bow and arrows with grey goose feather fletching. He can be heard muttering to himself.

Stuck up Captain just cause I refuse to be bound to the guard I get stuck with the worst assignments may as well call the Marque a license to tax. Bet the human scouts don’t get stuck guarding a boat and outsiders. The nerve of the man not even telling me what I am guarding or why. Bet I get stuck going out to that lousy outpost where they make me sleep with the horse just cause my parents weren’t all human. Bet they wouldn’t like it if we stopped sending them deer and boar. He looks up squinting in the light of the room to see the other adventures and guards walking out the door. And mutters once more Bet Rosie even lets them pay regular price even tho they are outsiders and gives them a warm fire while I stand outside in the cold.

He Wraps a dark cloak around himself has he steps outside. He ducks his head to hide his fangs and slow wanders down to the dock. He nods to the guards he passes though most of them barely acknowledge him. A few check with their companions before giving him an evil glare and continuing on. One patrol stops him and the leader harasses him making sure he has his Marque and the Captains seal and that his weapons are all peace bound. Several of the guards can be heard muttering Don’t care if he his a scout never should let the filthy beast in the city.

He follows road down toward the dock and all the way to the Inn. He watches warily as people enter the inn. While standing outside debating he hears some laughter from inside and moves silently into the room and slides off to a corner looking for the group the Captain told him about.

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-22, 05:29 PM
OOC here is the spoiler information I messed up above
Spot check [roll0] subtract 1 if the room is bright Move silent check [roll1] hide check [roll2] if he is noticed he will ask to have a meal and spot to sleep tonight he fully expects to be over charged edited to fix the die roll commands

Vhaeryl
2008-02-22, 06:28 PM
Zaefner
Zaefner gives a short laugh.
"Nothing to worry about I'm sure, probably just my body telling me it doesn't want to go back out into the cold...again."
Zaefner digs into his food, relishing the hot meal.

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-22, 06:48 PM
Daven

Somewhat surprised. Daven turns back the table and sit down. With a smile he laughs and looks at the members of the group.
Ha! That usually doesn't work out so well. I thank you for your kind offer, Mellavin, but it indeed appears that Jax has one or two tricks up his sleeve! So where did you learn that particular trick of yours? It certainly did a good Job of impressing the locals! I am sure you have other surprises waiting for our foes...

I have to say though this day has been quiet interesting indeed! I pardon my distance, lads, but growing up in a small village coupled with spending more time in nature than near cities place from day to day makes me dislike cities I do not know personally. I do think that I am slowly warming up to this town, though. It has its problems, as most the world does, but that's why we're here isn't it? Even though, there is something that is troubling me about this inn, is has a peculiar feel to it. If you have anything that is out of the ordinary Zeafner, do tell.

Here Daven's eyes narrow. Sometimes 'peace' and quiet should be watched as much a rampaging ogre...

Darius
2008-02-22, 07:36 PM
For Jomei:


As you are about to enter the Belay and Breakfast, your darkvision clearly shows you a cloaked figure fiddling with the lock on the double warehouse doors next to Rosie and Pier 8. He turns at your approach and his hooded cloak hides his features, but the glint of two red eyes shine in the street lantern light. He quickly turns and runs around the corner of the warehouse. You give chase and round the corner yourself. Looking down the alleyway, you see a dead end and the normal city features like drainspouts, gutters, sewer hole, refuse, and the like - but no cloaked figure.

Wondering if your mind is playing tricks on you, you return back to the Belay and Breakfast and see the group that the Captain had described to you.

ooc: It is pretty impossible to hide in here - you open the door and all eyes see you. In the interest of getting things going, I altered your post a bit since you might want to share your information.


For the party:
A dark-cloaked figure enters Rosie's. The newcomer removes his cloak to reveal that he stands 5’ 11” his hair is hacked short as if he cut it himself with one the axes hanging on the off of his belt his eyes look like black pits and are unnerving to stare directly into and his skin while tanned has a gray tint. He has a a pug nose and a prominant set of canines which depict orcish heritage. He wears dark brown boots and grey breaches his light grey shirt is covered by chain shirt made of a strange grey metal that matches the axe blades. Across his back is a quiver with a beautiful heavy composite bow and arrows with grey goose feather fletching.

He scans the room and quickly finds your table and approaches.

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-22, 07:53 PM
----- Jomei -----

Seeing the group described by Captain Largent he walks over to table keeping to the shadow as much as possible. He speaks to the humans Captain sent me said you all needed a scout that was familiar with the region. He said I were to help you and if I wanted to keep my Marque I would make sure you all got on a boat with something. Didn’t even bother to tell me what boat or what something. he glances around lowers his voice and whispers Something weird is going on with Rosie’s wharehouse someone was trying to get then just seemed to vanish. So if what we are suppose to be delivering is in there you may want to but a better guard than the simple lock on the door.

He steps back from the table again keeping as much to the shadows and scans the room nervously.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-22, 08:16 PM
Zaefner

Zaefner jumps to his feet.
"The goods are in that warehouse. I noticed something unusual when we were stabling the horses. A giant rat, three feet long if it was an inch, with...strange eyes. It went down into the sewers before I could get a closer look at it. If it went down...it could come back up."
Zaefner looks warily at the newcomer.
"It looks like our job starts tonight, not tomorrow; at least I'll feel better knowing my horse is safe, even if this turns out to be nothing more than the ramblings of an orc."

Margrave
2008-02-22, 08:28 PM
Shep

Even though Jax has a cat, the oversized collie named Best doesn't seem to mind that his typical enemy is about; in fact the dog pays the creature little mind. It follows right next to Shep and sits next to him at the table. When Gregor approaches, Best becomes wary but does not act, for it appears the man poses no threat to its master.

When the food is brought over, Shep eats heartily - in fact, it seems he has a bottomless stomach. He politely asks Rosie, "Beg your pardon, Miss Rosie, but might you have a pint or two? I like wine and all, but I have found a good stout sticks to my ribs a bit better." He lowers his bowl and breaks some bread for Best to eat and drinks his ale as he listens to the stories being told.

However, when the half-orc enters, Best's ears perk up and a growl is audible in his throat. Shep says a word in a strange language, and the dog stops making the noise, but remains on alert. After the message is given, Shep says, "Not that I don't believe you Mr. Scout, but do you have any sort of letter of introduction or something of that nature? I may be just a country bumpkin, but one time my Uncle Jack sold his cow for some 'magic beans' without asking for proof. Those beans did nothing but get him in hot water with my Aunt Jill."

OOC: I am going to assume that Jomei will show us his Letter of Marquee with the Captain's signet upon it. Also, Darius, please roll a Sense Motive for me regarding Jomei's story.

BIC: Satisfied with the answer, Shep says to the others, "If what Mr. Scout says is true, I should take Best out there. Best is the best tracker I know. He'll pick up the man's scent in no time and will take us right to him so we can find out why he was trying to get into that warehouse."

Draining his beer, Shep puts on his winters and gets up to go, a hand gesture brings Best right behind him. "Can you show me and Best where this guy was?" he asks Jomei.


Best's tracking: [roll0]
Best's Spot: [roll1]
Best's Listen: [roll2]

Shep's Search: [roll3]
Shep's Spot: [roll4]
Shep's Listen: [roll5]

Edit - holy mackerel! I guess there goes all my best rolls for the adventure. :smallbiggrin:

grego
2008-02-22, 09:02 PM
Nathan Oncek

Nathan walks down the cold, dark street by himself, towards the Belay and Breakfast from the City Watch HQ.

I knew I should've gotten there earlier... he thinks to himself, quickening his pace, At least they were described as an easily recognizable bunch, I shouldn't have any problems finding them once at the inn.

He opens the door to the inn and takes a moment to appreciate the warm, comforting smell of fire and food before stepping inside. He removes his long, blue scarf, and loosens his heavy pale gray cloak to let his polished breastplate gleam from beneath. He has a young, fairly average-looking face, but the reason for his employment is clear from looking at him. Despite wearing thick, heavy clothes, his bulky, muscular frame is clearly apparent. A huge sword, adorned with the unbroken peace knot, hangs on his back, its ornate hilt sticking out over his shoulder, while a smaller, more utilitarian-looking hilt sticks out near his waist.

His bright blue eyes scan the room, and he smiles as they settle on a group of eccentric-looking fellows. His heavy boots clomping along the wooden floor, he walks towards the group, drags a nearby chair to their table, and sits down with a deep exhale. He clears his throat and speaks to all of them, but no one in particular "Hi there. My name is Nathan, and I'm going to go with you guys on this food-running mission. I was supposed to be at the meeting with Largent, but I couldn't make it on time," at this, he looks ashamed. "I am caught up to date though, I'm just anxious to meet you all!"

His expression changes somewhat to one of confusion when he notices the grim half-orc speaking in low tones.

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-22, 09:29 PM
----- Jomei -----

At the request of the halfling he shows them his letter. My name is Jomei I am a ranger of Ehlonna. As my letter of Marque shows I work as a scout for the city of Womtham. And if you are who you say you are one of you should be named Jaeur and he should have an envelope marked with the Captains seal. But enough of this I do not want to loose my Marque nor force my village to have to send another of their defenders to replace me here.
He looks across at the human knight and say Certainly sir, let me show you. as he starts walking towards the door he says the stranger at the door had weird eyes as well they glowed as if lit by an inner fire once he steps outside he moves away from the light from inside and seems to relax his eyes open wide in the darkness. He pauses and lets his senses search the night looking and listening for anything out of place. He pauses waiting for the knight and any of the others that are going to come with him.

Spot check [roll0] Listen check [roll1]

Once he is joined by the others he leads them to the door
He was here fiddling with the lock and then as I approached he moved off down this way and disappeared in this alley. while describing what he saw he answers any questions as truthfully as he can and leads from the door to the dead end alleyway.

Darius
2008-02-22, 09:44 PM
The party is joined by two warriors. Indeed, both have suitable paperwork and do appear to be truthful in both their stories and when they explain their tardiness. There seems to be little time for consideration of the late meetings and coincidental occurance, for it seems the very foodstuffs you agreed to deliver may be at risk of being swiped from under your noses.

Outside

Jomei shows the halfling where to go, and Shep leads his dog, Best, to the twin doors of the warehouse that opens into River Run. The trained dog immediately picks up a scent and follows it around the corner. Best then continues down the alley until he comes to the sewer entrance. He barks a few times and scrapes at the opening. Although the cat, dog and Shep could easily squeeze through, it would be very difficult for anyone else in the party to get down the hole here.

Shep (and Best) can hear the sound of moving water below - whether it is the water heading out towards the river or if someone or something is moving down there is difficult to tell. The moonlight glints off of something in the gutter near the sewer hole. It is what appears to be a purse of some sort. Closer inspection reveals it to be a velvet bedroll-like container that when unrolled reveals a set of strange devices set in pockets. Bent wires, small files, odd shaped keys, resin, wax, and long metal pieces are within. Best sniffs the bag and claws at the hole again and barks as if to indicate that the owner of it is down in the sewers somewhere.

For Jaxal:

You easily recognize this as a set of thieves' tools. They are not the same quality as yours, but they are sufficient.

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-22, 09:58 PM
---Daven---

Upon seeing the half-orc, the half-elf: Daven's mood remains unchanged, but upon hearing the news he stands up quickly and his mood steels.
Let us be quick about it, then. I will stay and watch over the warehouse.
Daven's ranger skill is shown as moves quickly following the others. When the others go off, he searches the area for other evidence and then takes up a spot to hide and watch the Warehouse.


[roll0] <--Hide
[roll1] <--Move Silently
[roll2] <--Spot
[roll3] <--Listen


ooc: if anyone wants to encourage me to not stay and watch, just give a shout. I thought it was a good idea to leave a guard. Another note: Yes! Action.

Dustyme
2008-02-23, 12:26 AM
---Jaxal---

Just as Jaxal sits down to eat his nice hot, tasty meal everything starts to go wrong.

Jax rolls his eyes as the group makes a huge fuss about one little thief trying to steal our stuff...

As everyone gets up to go he looks down at the table of food sadly and shrugs.

Picking up his bowl and drink in one hand and shifting Toby and his food to the bar counter.

"Toby stay here and enjoy your dinner. Watch our table buddy."

"Zutra malingerio! Poisons of the abyss watch over our table!"

ooc:
The prestidigitation should still be active.

Red & glowing smoke starts floating over the tabletop and staying on it.
"Good, that should provide anyone a long and suffering extremely painful death that tries to steal the rest of my meal!"

Jax follows the others outside and smiles at the "tools of the trade" found by the dog.

"Well, having an extra set never hurts. Looks like you caught some insidious felon trying to lark our goods. Man that guy must stink to high heaven. Thank the gods I didn't ever get that desperate."

Jax turns to the 1/2 Orc. "How big was this guy? He couldn't have been too large."

After checking everything out Jax goes back into the Inn and walks over to the man who tried to sell him stuff.

"Good sir, you look like a man in the know. Who might I enquire of in these parts to let the brotherhood know that such things as are in the warehouse are under protection? We don't wish confusion about who possesses what goods and tidbits. I would like to let a man know I have something of his to return for the simple favor of him and his comrades staying away."
Jax slips the man Sterling (1 Silver).

Gather Info [roll0]

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-23, 01:37 AM
Daven

Realizing that there is no where to hide, Daven decides to test his climbing skill and take a short watch on the rooftop. While cold, its an added precaution.
Its no the first time I have endured cold...


[roll0] -- Climb

Bender
2008-02-23, 04:50 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Mellavin eagerly welcomes the latecommers and just as he, unprejudiced, asks the half-orc to join them at the table, the commotion starts.
As Best picks up the scent, the dwarf trails behind somewhat, checking for additional visual signs to be found. Otherwise he just goes along with the group, keeping an eye and an ear out.
[roll0]
[roll1] (darkvision)
[roll2]

Vhaeryl
2008-02-23, 07:55 PM
Zaefner

Zaefner tosses three sterling to the table to pay for his meal before heading to the warehouse. Shivering with the cold, he tries to recall the details of the warehouse.

"There was a sewer grate inside the warehouse, at least as big as this one here. If whoever was trying to break in can fit through this grate, he could easily fit through the one inside the warehouse and make off with the goods. Standing out here in the cold does us no good; someone should go get the key from the barmaid's servant... without letting him know exactly why we need it."

Darius
2008-02-23, 09:39 PM
Daven tries to find a suitable hiding spot, but cannot find one on the street. He decides to climb up to one of the rooftops, but his cold fingers and slick feet cannot find purchase.

Inside, Jax casts another spell and tries to Bluff the patrons with it. Rosie comes over and says, "Now, now - even though your money is good for the moment, love. You keep that kind of behavior up, you'll find yourself out in the cold. Dismiss your spell or stay out."

ooc: Fast forward to Jax's questioning of the bartender, Opa.

ic: Opa looks at Jax and seems confused.

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-23, 09:55 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei looks at Jax and says I don’t think the being I saw could have fit down that drain but I don’t doubt the evidence of our friend’s nose there are so many magical ways he could have fit. he pauses in thought for a moment then says one of you knights go tell them you hear your horse acting up and you don’t want him to damage himself or the building. That will get the key out here with out raising suspicion. I would do it but I don’t think Rosie’s staff would believe me. I am going to walk out toward the pier and see if I can see another way into the sewer near the shoreline if they are trying to make off with the goods the river is the fastest route.

Jomei walks warily out to the pier after looking around he walks half way out and looks back to the shoreline. Finally he lays down and leans over the side and looks under the pier and looks both ways spending a little longer to stare into the darkness near where the pier meets the shore.

Darkvision 70’ Spot check while walking to the pier [roll0]
Spot check half way down the pier [roll1]
Spot check looking under the pier [roll2]

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-23, 10:26 PM
Daven
Daven gives up hiding, walks over the warehouse door, and listens to it carefully. Then he abandons his futile quest and then joins up with the party near the sewer. Upon catching up to speed he looks around and wonders aloud. From what I have heard this guy's size is awfully dexterous, If he managed to go down this way. I wonder what kind of creature could fit in there and steal the boxes. He seems awfully inconsistent. He then puts his ear to grate and listens hard.


[roll0] Knowledge Nature
[roll1] Listen at the door of warehouse
[roll2] Listen at Sewer

grego
2008-02-23, 11:18 PM
Nathan

Nathan silently follows the group outside and hangs around, trying to think of a way to make himself useful. I have no idea what's going on, he thinks to himself. "I'll be inside, if theres any trouble," he says to the group still left outside, and makes his way back towards the warmth and comfort of the inn.

Once inside, he speaks to Rosie about renting a room for the night and having a hot meal.

Dustyme
2008-02-23, 11:45 PM
---Jaxal---

"Sorry miss's its all about the show. Impress the crowd, be remembered, you know that sort of stuff." Besides the massive headache fro m overdoing it ust isn't worth the effect."

Rubs his temples as the spell dissapates.

to the bartender:
"Maybe I was to roundabout sir. I'm looking for the local thieves. I want them to stay away from our stuff. If you can put us in contact with them to let them know I'd thank ye."

Vhaeryl
2008-02-23, 11:46 PM
Zaefner

Zaefner frowns at Jomei's suggestion. "Very well."He walks back to the inn, and looks about for the man who led him to the warehouse earlier.

ooc: I assume I spot him speaking with Jax

Spotting him, Zaefner approaches, still frowning over the lie he is about to tell. "Pardon me, but I would like...check on my horse. Could I possibly borrow the key to the warehouse? You seem to be otherwise engaged...and it is awfully cold outside, so might I suggest you remain here?"

Zaefner blushes, realizing just how poor of a liar he is. Just one more reason for me to stick to the truth




[roll0]

[roll1]

Darius
2008-02-24, 08:39 PM
Outside the Warehouse:

Daven listens to the door, he hears the clop of horsehooves against cobblestone and the neighing of said animals.

Jomei heads to the edge of River Run and sees that the levvy wall is the edge of the Run itself. A short wall separates the Run from the riverside. There is no such gutter where a pier connects to River Run. Looking down under the pier, it is about a 10' drop to the water and river shore. The river is not frozen, but it doesn't take a wizard to figure out that one would not last long in the frigid river before going numb with cold. The pier is supported with large support posts all along its outer edge and cross-hatched beams add additional structural lift.

The half-orc's darkvision spies an outlet tunnel that is a pipe-like shape. It is partially submerged in the water, and a rusted iron grate is also visible. Jomei figures the pipe is large enough for an elf to walk in, but he and the men would need to stoop. Either way, whoever went down there would be getting wet.


Inside Rosie's

Rosie doesn't return any pleasantries with Jax, she only leaves him to his business after he dismisses the spell and meets the newcomer (Nathan). "Hello, love, what brings you here? Ah, a meal and room. Well, you came to the right place, dearie, but only food is what I can offer you unless you wouldn't mind staying with these others, for they have booked my last two rooms. I'll give you a minute to think about it while I get your dinner." She will return with the fish stew, crackers, bread, butter, and a pint of ale.

Jaxal (Zaefner) & Opa

Opa's brow furrows more, and his cheeks redden. "No thief - you bruja. Get out sight!"

When Zaefner approaches and inquires about key, Opa's ire continues to rise, "No! Friend of bruja. You not take key. Horse fine - better than you be if try take it."


It seems Opa is a closed book.

Bender
2008-02-25, 02:15 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

A bit lost, Mellavin wanders around a bit looking for anything odd. He walks around the warehouse, checking for windows to check out the goods and horse. If there aren't any, he'll go listen to the door as well. (Does the horse sounds distressed)
He briefly checks the door for any holes to peek through.
[roll0] (darkvision)
[roll1]

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-25, 11:45 AM
Tries again at listening to the grate, to see if anything more can be heard. He then stands and speaks.
We might want to take into consideration that this thief, who ever he is, is simply trying to break in as thieves do, I don't think he has succeeded yet, which is not to say he hasn't gotten in there. Can he really squeeze through that opening with boxes on hand? We should probably just set a watch and go get some sleep. However, I did think the horses were a little uneasy, from the sound of them. So before turning we should probably check. Can anyone pick locks?

[roll0] Listen Check


He starts to wander toward the warehouse and the inn.

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-25, 02:37 PM
----- Jomei -----

I walk back over the people checking the outside of the warehouse There is a sewer grate under the peir. We could fit but it would not be comfortable and the water is still icy cold with the winter melt. I will gladly help guard, if it is the best we can do. But I recommend sets of two if anyone else can see in the dark we should split them up to the other groups.

Darius
2008-02-25, 04:55 PM
Outside

Investigation of the warehouse reveals nothing out of the ordinary in the sense that it is a big rectangular building. The wall on one side is higher so that the snow falls off of its angled pitch. The only windows are on that taller side to allow natural light in. It does have eaves and down spouts on the lower side that one could climb.

From what can be heard inside, Daven's woodslore indicates that the horses do not seem completely comfortable. It is difficult to tell if the reason is because they are in a strange environment, the cold, or if there is something else that has set them at unease. They are not panicking, however, so it doesn't appear that they are in any immediate danger. Unfortunately, no knotholes or cracks seem visible for Mellavin to look through to reveal much of anything other than what was described to him (see previous warehouse map - ooc page 3, past #79), for the cracks under the door have crusted up with ice and snow from the winter.

Continued listening down the sewer hole reveals nothing new.

From what the two horsemen recall about the size of the crates, it would be impossible to take any one of those crates out throught he sewers. One would need at least on of the doors open. Having those double doors where the thief was seen open would be the most efficient method to get the merchandise out. However, it would take more than one man to lift one of those crates.

Discussion of watches being set seem to travel through the group. Finding a suitable place outside appears to be difficult, however, for there are little places to hide, and it is a cold night.


Inside Rosie's

Seeing that trying to get more information from Opa would be as easy as getting blood from a stone, Jaxal decides to do as asked...for the moment. When he heads to go out, he notices Gregor seems to have taken an interest in the conversation. One of the Rhennee men from the table is standing by the door and says in his heavy accent, "Please, Gregor wish to speak at you. Go not yet - after talk, then may go." Although no outward threat has been made, it is evident to Jaxal that this man appears to be able to handle himself in a scrape. Perhaps hearing out Gregor would be a good idea.

The doorman stays where he is while Jaxal approaches the table where Gregor is holding his court with his Rhennee friends. Opa goes back to wiping down the tables and grumbling in his native tongue. Jaxal thinks back to his childhood where he has heard stories of these River folk. He knows that they are not well liked among the other ethnic groups, for it always seem that when these gypsy nomads leave an area, they take with them more than what they brought in. However, they are known for their boating knowledge, for the river is their home - and rumor had it the best of the smugglers are Rhennee.

"Please to sit," Gregor purrs and flashes a bright smile that flashes behind his short beard. Jaxal has seen that look before - it has been on Toby's face before when it ways toying with a mouse. "Sound to Gregor you haf need help. Sound to Gregor kat worried when away, mice play with toys, no? Sound to Gregor kat wish insurance to no playink with toys, yes? Kat make deal with maus, Gregor thinks. But how find maus, Gregor wonders? With cheese say Gregor. Maus like cheese because cheese is gold." Gregor smiles again and sits back in his chair, making a tepee with his fingers. His half dozen or so men (and the women hanging around him) smile and laugh knowing the innuendo posed by their charismatic leader. He awaits the answer of Jaxal smugly.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-25, 05:12 PM
Zaefner

Zaefner seems disappointed by Opa's reaction.

"So be it."

Zaefner turns and walks of the inn. Heading towards the warehouse, he stops halfway and turns around, waiting for a few moments to see if Opa follows him.

Dustyme
2008-02-25, 05:59 PM
---Jaxal---


Jax smiles:
"I understand more than most people about mice and cheese. However from what I've heard we have a rat infestion. Are we talking about the mice removing the rats or the mice going elsewhere to play?"

"I too like cheese Gregor however there isn't much cheese to be had lately. I'm willing to share what meager I have though."

Jax drops the tools onto the table.

"Here's the majority of what I have gotten lately. Enjoy. Don't get greedy because the cat's I've come by recently have very sharp teeth. The might eat mice then gut them for that cheese."

Jax leans forward towards Gregor:
"Now tell me what you know of the rats."

grego
2008-02-26, 12:23 AM
Nathan

Nathan nods and smiles at Rosie, thanking her politely for the food once it arrives. He looks around the inn for his companions, and spots Jaxal sitting with the Rhennee group. At a glance, they seem to be having a somewhat private discussion, so Nathan decides to return to the large table the group had occupied beforehand and quickly finishes his meal.


I should really get the room business out of the way as soon as possible... They're probably still outside, I'll go see what's going on.

At that, he leaves a few Noble on the bar, and heads outside.

He spots the half-orc who tried to climb up on the roof earlier, and goes over to talk to him. "I noticed you tried getting on the roof... would it help if I gave you a boost, or is the pitch too steep?"

Bender
2008-02-26, 10:18 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

"I be most at ease guarding the goods from inside the warehouse, where we can see them. Those spooky rats don't sound too nice, and I can see in the dark as well, if that helps.
But if anyone want to go down the bigger grate, I've got some scrolls that help against the cold, so just give me a shout, and you'll be nice and comfortable for a day."

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-26, 01:48 PM
----- Jomei -----

I was not attempting to reach the roof I believe it was Daven. How ever it is not a bad idea. I look over to Daven Would you care to try again with a boost from Nathan and I?

I provide a +2 assist bonus to Nathan for the Strength check to lift Daven up to where he can get a better grip then I help steady Daven and look for hand holds and foot hold to try and give him a +2 assist bonus to complete the climp up to the roof top

Rux Ealdorman
2008-02-26, 04:19 PM
Ok, I will stay and watch for a shift. Here goes nothing.

and then attempts to climb with the help of his friends


ooc: I am not sure how to factor in the boost. I have never done that before. so add in the boost to these:

[roll0] climb
[roll1] Spot
[roll2] Listen
[roll3] Hide

Margrave
2008-02-26, 04:50 PM
Shep

The halfling shephearder ponders for a moment, he says to his collie, "So, you found something down there, eh, boy?" We need light to see, though. He looks around for a rock or something similar. He then grasps the sun-face of Obad Hai around his neck and incants, "May the rays of the sun shine bright and give some of its rays to illuminate the night."

ooc: He casts light on it.

bic: Shep then drops the light rock down into the sewer hole.

Vhaeryl
2008-02-26, 06:53 PM
Zaefner

Satisfied, Zaefner walks back to the alley where he left the group. Speaking to no one in particular, "The bartender does not seem willing to part with his key. I got the distinct impression that he dislikes us. He also said that I would regret it if I tried to get into the warehouse...but I'd imagine that we'll regret it more if we let a thief make off with the supplies."

Zaefner pauses, obviously disliking what he is about to say. "As much as I find it distasteful, I think we should break in; for his good, as much as our own. I find it unlikely that the Captain will be particularly forgiving to the warehouse's owner if the supplies are stolen out of it...and while I'm not entirely sure we were supposed to start guarding it yet, I doubt he'll go lightly on us knowing what we do now. Can anyone get us through that door, preferably quietly?"

grego
2008-02-26, 11:56 PM
Nathan

"I overheard someone say there was a skylight on the roof, but I don't know if it's over the store-room..." Nathan cups his hands beside Jomei to boost up Daven.

Nathan looks uneasy at the prospect of breaking in. "Are we responsible for the food before it gets on the ship? If we aren't supposed to take care of it, we shouldn't have to break into this place just to guard it. Maybe we could just check it out, make sure no one is around."

Once Daven is on the roof, Nathan looks around, alert, in case someone happens to come nearby.



@dm: how is the sewer grate? is it cemented into the cobble stone? can it be lifted off the "manhole"? is it built into the "curb"? Would a great feat of strength bend the bars enough to let someone medium sized through?

Bender
2008-02-27, 01:44 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Just standing around with the others, Mellavin ponders a bit and listens to the others. "I agree about the breaking in part. If something happens to the goods, we no longer have a job to do... I can help with bashing in the door, but it won't be quiet."

Darius
2008-02-27, 04:44 PM
Inside Rosie's

Gregor smiles again and seems unconcerned about Jaxal's statements. "Ohh...tsk...tsk...come now. Katzen haf always threaten mice - please try no scare me." He picks up the tools and says, "Must be thief to use - Gregor no thief. Gregor artist." He lets the tools drop back on the table. "You know what do. Go ask Katzen friends if want help. Then come back with better offer. If Kat haf Gregor's tongue, no know what Gregor know and no help with mice or rats."


Outside

With a boost, Daven is assisted up about a story, but still needs to climb two more on his own.

(ooc: two successful Climb checks DC 15. Failure by 4 or less means no progress; 5 or more means falling from that height.)


The street is briefly illuminated when Shep casts light on a piece of rubble. He drops it into the gutter hole. It lands with a splash and barely illuminates the walls (candle illumination while underwater). However, it reveals that there is a main trough of water and two narrow walk-ways to either side. The water is moving at a medium pace and appears to be waist deep (knee deep for non-halflings). Perhaps the outlet pipe Jomei spied becomes more like these catacombs?

Closer inspection of the gutter hole reveals it to be a "rectangular" hole in the cobbled street. It is not very wide (a foot) and is maybe a touch more than two feet long. With the proper tools, one could pry up the larger stone slab near it to make it wider.

The wind continues to blow, and it doesn't take the group long to realize how they must look standing around a hole and trying to climb up atop of the roof. Thankfully, none of the patrols due to the Marshal Law Order have walked this beat, but one could venture they will.

GimliFett
2008-02-27, 05:12 PM
Jaeur Pershing

Furrowing his brow as the realization of how their actions might look, Jaeur moves closer to the others. "We need to be a bit more surreptitious," he whispers. "I know we must protect the goods for shipment, but let's keep it within the law, hm?" the marshal urges.

I have Watchful Eye (minor aura, +3 Reflex) and Motivate Urgency (major aura, +10' movement) active for all allies within 60'.

Bender
2008-02-28, 08:05 AM
Mellavin

"Say, Jaeur, didn't you mention something about big rats with strange eyes? Or was it you Zaefner? Anyway, it's probably just a dire rat, but I just remembered that some folks can change in dire rats, like them druids and all. And isn't there some nasty disease that makes people change to animals as well? Anyway, I wouldn't sleep easy without some guards here."
After this remark, he goes back to looking puzzled at the warehouse, trying to figure something out.

GimliFett
2008-02-28, 09:22 AM
Jaeur Pershing

"That was Zaefner." Jaeur says quietly. "So druids or lycanthropes? I think I'd prefer the former, despite their power," the marshal continues. "Someone needs to see about procuring us some silvered weapons. Who knows Womtham best?" he asks as he looks at his companions.

Auras (active for all allies within 60'): Watchful Eye (minor, +3 Reflex); Motivate Urgency (major, +10' movement).

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-28, 12:03 PM
----- Jomei -----

I am from around here let me think if anyone would be open this late that would sell us some silvered weapons
Jomei pauses to think
knowledge local untrained check [roll0]

I can't really think of anyone that would be open this late that would have silvered weapons

Dustyme
2008-02-28, 06:19 PM
---Jaxal---

Jaxal looks puzzeled for a few moments while he tries to understand the words behind the mans thick accent.
"Ah, yes an artist." Jax shrugs a bit and then puts his hand upon the tools and slides them back into his lap.
"I'll speak to my aquantances but I am not particularly clear on your offer. Are you offering to stay away or are you offering to remove our problem? And,most importantly, how much is it going to cost for this favor? We each have a cat up our sleeve so to speak..."
As he utters the last bit Jaxal reaches into his robes sleeve pulls outa largish hairball and drops it onto the floor. Jax waits for his answer then he stands up and walks outside to discuss the issue with his new companions in time to realize that they are triing to gain entry to the warehouse still.
"Pardon me friends but what exactly are we doing? I am sorry to disturb the gathering but the gypsies seem to have an offer."

ooc:
Sense Motive [roll0] On the Gypsy ((Should I use a Decipher Script/Sense Motive combo to understand what the heck he's saying?? :smallwink: :smalltongue: ))
Jax explains the offer to the party. Assuming that our DM tells me :smalltongue:

Vhaeryl
2008-02-28, 11:39 PM
Zaefner

Zaefner seems a bit amused at the suggestions of his companions.

"A bit quick jumping to conclusions, are we? I won't pretend to know much about either druids or lycanthropes, but I have to assume the chances of happing upon one in the middle of a city are pretty slim. I saw a very large rat; the Orc saw a thief. Even if there was a shop open in the middle of the night that happened to have silver weapons for sale, I think its a bit premature to go investing that kind of coin on such scant evidence."

Zaefner turns to face Jaeur.

"and while I would much rather stay within the boundaries of the law, I see no other way of ensuring the safety of the cargo. Remember, I don't stand to benefit from this." Zaefner points at his Badge of Marque. "but I gave my word that the cargo would reach its destination, and I'm not about to fail to uphold my word just because some barkeep thinks I'm a 'Bruja,' whatever that means."

grego
2008-02-28, 11:48 PM
Nathan

Inspecting the grate, Nathan asks Jomei "You said there is the possibility of an entrance to the sewer by the piers? Perhaps a group of us could go check this out?" swallowing hard, his youthful inexperience clear, he continues, "And if our dwarf friend here," he nods to Mellavin with a smile, "can magic-up something to make us warm, we have all night to find where this thing escaped to... or where it came from. I don't mind getting a little dirty."

After Jaxal explains the situation with the gypsies, Nathan adds, quietly, "I sure as heck won't have any part in funding the local criminal gang."

He tightens his cloak around him in the blowing wind.

Bender
2008-02-29, 01:54 AM
Mellavin

"Now, you're as likely to find rats in the city as in the forest, so why is it different for especially nasty rats? Don't worry about the silver weapons, if we just bash a little bit harder." He wants to demonstrate this by showing his huge sword, but just in time he remembers the peace knot around it.
"Now about the getting warm, it's rather tricky, I can only do it for two persons. I'd volunteer to go along without though, I'm used to some cold."

He doesn't quite catch what Jaxal meant about the gypsies: "Now, how nice of them to want to help us, I thought they were ok."

Dustyme
2008-02-29, 01:02 PM
---Jaxal---

"Are we still having fears over the goodies in the warehouse? Why didn't you guys just ask for help?"

Looking at Nathan. "Try not to be to high and mighty Sir. People do what they need to do for themselves and their families when they get hungry. Now as for that if you all are bent on spending money I'm sure Gregor would happily supply you with many fine articles just keep in mind the articles are probably, ahem, aquired and he doesn't seem to be starving..."

While he talks Jax walks over to the door and examines the lock for a few seconds then pulls a few bits of wire and a slender 3' rod out of an inner pocket in his robe. Inserting the probe and wire into the lock he fiddles around and...

ooc:
Search [roll0]
Open Lock [roll1]
Disable Device (if needed) [roll2]
If the door opens then Jax will attempt the spot anything out of place and listen for any unusual noises
Spot [roll3]
Listen [roll4]

GimliFett
2008-02-29, 01:14 PM
Jaeur Pershing

The marshal looks at Zaefner, unfazed. "One thing I learned is to trust Intel. Intel says we might be dealing with druids or lycanthropes. Nothing special to be done about druids. If that's what we're dealing with, then we'll manage. Lycanthropes, on the other hand, are susceptible to silvered weapons. There is something we can do about them, at least the possibility exists. Even if this turns out to be nothing serious, having silvered weapons may eventually prove useful."

Auras (active for all allies within 60'): Watchful Eye (minor, +3 Reflex); Motivate Urgency (major, +10' movement).

Darius
2008-02-29, 01:25 PM
Outside

Although several options are on the table, Jaxal takes matters into his own hands. He inspects the lock and sees no traps, so takes out his tools and goes to work by the light of the continual light street lamps. Before anyone can stop him a click is heard and the padlock is open. The wind blows the door open with a bang, and the group agrees that being out of the cold and inside may be the best place to discuss any misgivings about these actions.


In the Warehouse

Soon everyone gets inside. The door is shut behind by Zaefner who notices that a patrol is approaching from the North, but they haven't seem to have noticed anything unusual at this distance. However, it is clearly a good thing that everyone isn't milling around outside without that Letter of Marquee.

Inside, the horses are still there. They were startled by the loud noise and new amount of people - mostly unfamiliar. Soon they are calm once again, but nothing seems out of the ordinary...for the moment.

Darius
2008-02-29, 02:11 PM
ooc: Sorry about the double post... had an error message.

If you guys plan on guarding from inside, please put where you will be and what you are going to be doing. Use the coordinates from the map for your location and for the horses/dog/cat as well.

Crates can be climbed to top (10') or around edges (5') up and will provide cover and situational modifiers to melee combat.

There is only the light you bring in.

Bender
2008-02-29, 02:52 PM
Mellavin

When Jax opens the lock, Mellavin follows in, "Well done!" giving Jax an approving tab on the shoulder. He looks around a bit and goes to the sewer holes to look down, and listen for anything down there.darkvision:
[roll=general spot upon entering]1d20+2[/spot]
[roll=spot in holes]1d20+2[/spot]
[roll=general listen upon entering]1d20+5[/spot]
[roll=listen in holes]1d20+5[/spot]
ok, I screwed up, I'll make the rolls in the ooc-thread
"I volunteer to guard, I'm no good with people to try to get this silver stuff."

Darius
2008-02-29, 03:42 PM
Inside Warehouse

Mellavin commends Jax and takes a look around inside. Looking down in the holes with his darkvision, the dwarf sees nothing. However, he detects the squeaking and chattering noises of rats from below. It is difficult to determine where the noise really is coming from, for the sound echoes off of the walls. It doesn't seem like there is a wave of rats coming in mass, but it seems as though the rats are having a...conversation. That can't be right. Unless, of course, these rats are what the group may be fearing.

It doesn't take a wise man to realize that with the lock off the door, any would be thieves who wanted to take the goods could make use of this opportunity.

GimliFett
2008-02-29, 04:06 PM
Jaeur Pershing

Brow furrowing in irritation, Jaeur looks at the others. "Look. This could get bad in a hurry. If we are going to guard the supplies from within the warehouse, we need to lock ourselves in so no one can make a mad dash with anything while we are occupied with a diversion." He looks pointedly at Jax. "How do you propose we manage this?"

Auras (active for all allies within 60'): Watchful Eye (minor, +3 Reflex); Motivate Urgency (major, +10' movement).

Bender
2008-02-29, 04:27 PM
Mellavin

Still bending over the sewer grate, looking down. "How odd, I can definitely hear rats down there, but I can't shake the feeling they are discussing something."
He looks around for those entering the warehouse
"any of you can understand rats? Daven? Shep? Jomei? I kinda screwed up having a private conversation with Toby earlier..."
ooc:
*kicking myself for carelessly using useful abilities* but it just made so much sense :smallwink:

I'm going to sleep now. In case things start to happen: as soon as the group is preparing for battle, Mellavin readies an attack with his greatsword on the first rat/ratlike person that leaves the sewer grate most to the north.
EDIT: entering a rage while he does so

GimliFett
2008-02-29, 04:34 PM
Jaeur Pershing


After hearing the dwarfs update on the rats communicating, the marshal's furrowed brow deepens and he purses his lips. "BAH! It seems we've little time. Stay within twenty paces or so of me so you can hear and understand what I say. It may save your lives. Zaefner, care to mount up? Nathan...Cover the entrance. Nothing leaves here until we finish this. Jax, Mal. I need your eyesight and senses. Find out if they're coming from somewhere other than the one spot of which we are aware. The rest of you with me for the moment until we are engaged or have a better plan of action." Striking a sunrod and hefting his shield, Jaeur draws his longsword and suddenly the older man truly appears the picture of a battlefield commander.

Auras (active for all allies within 60'): Watchful Eye (minor, +3 Reflex); Motivate Urgency (major, +10' movement).

Maryring
2008-02-29, 05:54 PM
The wizardess who has yet to speak at all quietly folds up the papers she has been writing on thus far and puts them inside a pocket, before she draws out a wand from within her clothing and begins to wield it expertly, her eyes scanning the room for a suitable position.

Yes, I know, bad and non-informative. I just don't want to be kept out of the game any longer.

Dustyme
2008-02-29, 06:11 PM
---Jaxal---

"Might I suggest we do a few things to prepare before you have to swing that sword? Let's block one or preferably both of those holes into the sewer to limit any rats getting in that way. Also let us put some crates in front of the doors to block them."
ooc:
Even if the doors open out things will have to climb over a layer of boxes to get inside the building. Although we need to guard those boxes too so we aren't just helping theives get them easier :smallamused: . Is there any way we can use the lock from the outside to secure the inside? If so I suggest that as well.

"We could use the horses to help shift things quickly."

As Jaxal talks he climbs on top of the highest crates ((11xh the 10' set)).
He pulls out a torch that is already light (everburning) plants it face down then pulls a blanket out of his pack and wraps the base of the torch to cover the light once plans are setup.

Jax draws his bow and tests his line of sight for both sewar holes, the skylight and the door. He hunches down so that he can watch the skylight and stay as hidden as possible from the ground.


Hide [roll0]
spot [roll1]
listen [roll2]

LatemYvaeh
2008-02-29, 10:19 PM
----- Jomei -----

When I see the door open I quickly enter the warehouse behind the others with a quick look around I spot the two sewer grates in the middle aisle. As hears the others discussing the plans of defense he gets to work.

Could some one help me move this crate. He begins pushing and sliding a crate to in block the doors

I assuming the doors open into the warehouse
I am moving the 5' high crate from H10 to in front of the doors.
Strength check [roll0]


After we finish moving the crates I climb to the top of one of the taller crates in the front row where I can see both the doors and the sewer openings. And then begins fiddling with his weapons


Climb to the top of 10' Crate at I13
climb check in case it is needed [roll1]
use rope check to figure out the knot used on the peace not [roll2]
after checking the knot to make sure I can re-tie it I unbind my weapons
use robe check to untie the knots
Bow [roll3]
Battle Axe [roll4]
Hand Axe [roll5]


Mutters to himself
I just have to make it through the loading and setting sail hopefully no one notices

Bender
2008-03-01, 02:41 AM
Mellavin

The strong dwarf helps with moving the crates. Afterwards, he draws his greatsword (breaking the seal) and just stands somewhere, looking around for a sign of danger, unsure what to do...

Margrave
2008-03-01, 08:34 AM
Shep and Best

The halfling mounts up on Best and says, "My Uncle Jack always said, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Smiling at the irony, Shep incants the words to a spell, "By the power of the moon and all she can hide, fill us with the bite of the wererat inside."


Cast bite of the wererat on myself (and Best since he is w/in 5') and persist it


When the spell is completed, both Shep's and Best's faces elongate, and they look very rat-like.

If there is still time, Shep will cast a second spell. "Obad-Hai, lend us the might of the bull for this fight."


Cast bull's strength on Best (and myself).


Finally if enough time, Shep will cast a final spell. "Obad-hai's light brand, be summoned into my hand!"


cast produce flame


While mounted, Shep will patrol with Best - looking and listening for the first sign of trouble. He will stay close to Jaeur as instructed.



[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-01, 02:26 PM
----- Jomei -----

I draw my bow and nock an arrow I slowly scan the entrances to the warehouse looking from sewer grate to sewer grate to the small side door then to the main double doors. Use the crate I am on to provide as much cover and shadow as possible to prevent myself from being seen and I use my training to keep silent and ready to shoot.

Current Location (I13)
Hide Roll: [roll0]
Move Silent Roll:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2] -1 if bright light
Listen:[roll3]

INIT Phase: [roll4]
AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 20
Saves: Fort 4, Ref, 6, Will 3 - (reflex 9 when with in 60' of Jaeur)

readied items: Bow (free action to draw axes quick draw)

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +10 move and +3 reflex

Rux Ealdorman
2008-03-01, 02:40 PM
OOC: Sorry for not posting, it has been hard finding a working computer since mine went down. Don't worry, I found a good solution.

Daven, Joining the other silently, enters quickly into the warehouse and readies himself. Seeing a Decently looking crate, he climbs up and tries his best to stay hidden from the others. I don't know about this town, but I don't think the guards will like us breaking our peace seals. Luckily I have a bow.

He Takes his bow and, stringing in, knocks an arrow. Waiting carefully for whatever should come, scanning from door, to sewers to skylight. Well gentlemen, it seems we are in for an interesting night.


Current Location ( L11 )
Hide Roll: 1d20+10
Move Silent Roll: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

INIT Phase: [roll3]
AC: 14 (Flat: 13, Touch: 14)
HP: 15
Saves: Fort 3, Ref 7, Will 2

readied items: Composite Bow, small mirror



I posted a fixed hide roll in the OOC

Maryring
2008-03-01, 03:53 PM
The eyes of the Wizardess scan across the floor as she taps her wand on her shoulders, causing a diminutive bundle of feather to fly out from her hood and into safety. With a careful gesture, she points her free hand towards one of the sewer access points, and her wand towards the other, all the while tensing her entire body for what will happen now.


Current Location ( L 12 )
Hide Roll: [roll0]
Move Silent Roll: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

INIT Phase: [roll4]
AC: 15 (Flat: 14, Touch: 11)
HP: 15
Saves: Fort 3, Ref, 2, Will 4

readied items: A frost blue wand inlaid with a blue glass pearl

spells/effects active: Mage Armor


Familiar Stats:
Spot: [roll5]
Listen: [roll6]
Hide: [roll7]
Move silently: [roll8]

Bender
2008-03-01, 06:03 PM
Mellavin Shortbark

When he sees Shep call on his god: "Some divine help! That's a good idea!" He lifts his holy symbol in the air "Ehlonna, great one, help me serve you and fight evil by blessing this sword and protect me from this evil spirits, so good may prevail." His sword starts to glow slightly with green energy


Current Location ( J 13 )

INIT Phase: 3
AC: 18 (Flat: 16, Touch: 12; all +2 against evil)
HP: 30
Saves: Fort 8, Ref, 2, Will 5 (all: +2 against evil)

readied items: greatsword (AB+4; dmg 2d6+9; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (2min)/ Protection from evil (3min)

Dustyme
2008-03-01, 11:31 PM
---Jaxal---

"Psst, hey if anything comes up from the sewer does anyone have any alchemist's fire to throw down? If you do make sure the whole thing goes inside we don't want to burn the building down."


Current Location (H 11 - 10')

INIT Phase: [roll0]

AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 10
Saves: Fort 1, Ref, 5, Will 5

readied items: Short Bow Composite (AB+4; dmg 1d6; sneak att +1d6; PBS 30'> +1; crit 20/x3)
Torch, Everburning (at feet but covered)

(already rolled earlier)
Spot = 11
Listen = 21
Hide = 10

grego
2008-03-02, 03:37 AM
Nathan

Nathan, shaking his head, quickly steps into the warehouse, following the others.

@dm:
if the lock is just a padlock, and no one has picked it up (I didn't read that anyone did, sorry if i missed it) Nathan will grab it and bring it indoors

Nathan helps push the crates in front of the door, then moves somewhere between the two doors, near the grate. He keeps his large ornate sword in its scabbard on his back, but holds his small shortsword's hilt at his hip, without breaking the peace bond. He clenches his teeth.



Current location: G8, moved from E12

INIT phase [roll0]

AC 18 (touch 12 flat 16)
HP 26
Saves F:7, R:5, W:3

Not holding anything, one hand on hilt of shortsword, not hiding

[roll1]
[roll2]

Bender
2008-03-02, 12:59 PM
Mellavin Shortbark

To Jax, still focusing on the grate before him: "I've got some alchemist's fire, if you want some. I'm more comfortable with my sword myself." If anyone asks for it, the dwarf passes on a flask, otherwise he reconfirms a good grip with both hands on the hilt of his sword.


Current Location ( J 13 )

INIT Phase: 3
AC: 18 (Flat: 16, Touch: 12; all +2 against evil; -2 if rage)
HP: 30 (+6 if rage)
Saves: Fort 8, Ref, 2, Will 5 (all: +2 against evil; will+2 if rage)

readied action: when something foul comes from the sewer access:
start rage + greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (2min)/ Protection from evil (3min)

Dustyme
2008-03-02, 02:13 PM
---Jaxal---

Jax whispers to himself:
"Why is it these dang'd peace ties always cause more trouble for the defenders than for the bad guy? You never hear a Paladin say ""Whew, luckily my weapon was peace tied or else those demons would have gotten me for sure"". I mean really, they never help cause the bad guys just take them off 1st thing."

Jax speaks a little louder but still whispering:
"Hey everyone, make sure to check the bodies for some extra peace ties. If these guys have some then we can retie our stuff after we kill them."

Jax grins at his joke that isn't.

Rux Ealdorman
2008-03-02, 03:19 PM
Seriously, what if a good guy comes in? What do we do? They see a team of people who broke in, broken peace ties, and ready to kill anything that comes. "oh, were the good guys, honest!" I think we will get pinned for any crime in town. I think we should try to keep a low profile. Lots of hiding and NO SHOUTING! Let us be silent!

He Tests his bow sting to see its taughtness.

While waiting he thinks "what do I know of warerat."

[roll0] Knowledge Nature

Margrave
2008-03-02, 09:13 PM
Shep Tookshire

Shep cannot but smile at Daven. He looks up from his dog and retorts with a stage whisper, "Good guy? What is that? You? We've been hired to do a job, and this is it. I am no more good than the next; but by Obad-Hai, Best and me are going to see this through. It doesn't matter if it a wolf trying to get the flock or rats trying to get these stores, Shep is going to do things the best way he can."

Stat Block

Current Location (L8)
Hide Roll: -
Move Silent Roll: -
Spot: 7
Listen: 24

INIT Phase: 10
AC: 23 (Flat: 18, Touch: 16) +2 more if vs. ranged attacks
HP: 29/29
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6

readied items: produce flame (3 uses), loaded sling with silver bullet

spells/effects active: bull's strength (3min), produce flame (3 minutes), bite of the wererat (persistent)

Mount/Familiar/Animal Companion Stats:
Current Location (L8)
Hide Roll: -
Move Silent Roll: -
Spot: 6
Listen: 14

INIT Phase: 10
AC: 25 (Flat 16, Touch 15)
HP: 31/31
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +2

spells/effects active: bull's strength (3min), produce flame (3 minutes), bite of the wererat (persistent)

grego
2008-03-02, 11:27 PM
Nathan

Nathan smiles upon hearing Shep's response. He inspects the knot of his peace bond, to try to understand how it is tied.


[roll0]


I probably should have stabled my horse here, instead of the public one... oh well, I'l make sure to get her in the morning. He stands alert.


Current Location (G8)
Spot: 7
Listen: 6

ini: 12
AC: 18
HP: 26
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3

Readied: Will draw greatsword if attacked
Greatsword (+1) to hit: +5
2d6+11 (+6 str (2-h), +1 magic, +4 (+2 powerattack, x2 2-h))

Darius
2008-03-03, 11:03 AM
Inside the warehouse, tensions begin to mount as the danger is immanent - waiting is always the hardest part. Some of the party hides, laying out an ambush - their own thoughts keeping them company. Others stand ready at or near the holes, knowing that this is where their foe will emerge. The beating of your own heart in anticipation is deafening.

Some of the party begins to hear a strange noise below. It begins as the sound like a babbling brook; then it grows nearer, for it sounds like a spring stream after the melting. Soon it sounds like a river. Finally, it is like that of white water rapids. The horses stomp and whinney and Best begins to growl at the hole. Then, the chattering noise is deafening as a geyser of dark brown erupts from each of the holes. Flowing like sewer water, a swarm of chattering teeth and wet fur envelops those nearest each of the holes.

Before most of the party can react, swarms of rats are upon Mellavin and Zaefner.

ooc:
Mellavin's initiative is bumped up to 18. Zaefner (and horse), Jaeur (and horse), and Mellavin all may take AoO's vs AC14 if you wish.

Remember to apply Mell's Power Attack to both AoO and normal attacks.

Bender
2008-03-03, 11:36 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Waving his sword in the air, Mellavin's muscles tense as the noise approaches. As soon as the rats flow out, he takes a mighty swing, releasing a guttural roar. His muscles grow as his sword moves through the air; veins start to thicken and blood runs in his eyes.
starting a rage
[roll0] (+1 for higher ground if they're coming out the hole?)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
(both saves+2 if rat swarms are evil/if they are summoned, they can't touch him)


Current Location ( J 13 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 31/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 7 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (2min)/ Protection from evil (3min)/rage 8 rnds

Bender
2008-03-03, 12:00 PM
Mellavin Shortbarksorry for double post, previous was only attack of opportunity, I guess his actual action comes here
The dwarf shakes the rats violently from his armour and jumps 5' back, to turn the momentum of his sword and swing it back at the rats.

[roll0]
[roll1]


Current Location ( J 12 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 31/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 7 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (2min)/ Protection from evil (3min)/rage 8 rnds

Darius
2008-03-03, 03:27 PM
The jovial dwarf seems to transform in front of those whom are watching. With a bellow and a mighty arc of his great sword, Mellavin cleaves through many of the rats that swarm out of the hole nearest him. Such a mighty blow would have easily felled any man, but many of this tiny creatures avoid his great swing. Undaunted by his first swing, Mellavin single-handedly parts of the sea of rats with the next - sending them scattering to all corners of the warehouse. Many rat corpses, including several pieces of rats, litter the ground around him and Mell has suffered nary a scratch.

ooc: Bender - just to explain how that worked was you got your attacks. First was a readied action. Then in order for the rats to 'atttack' you, they had to move into your square. This drew an attack of opportunity. Since they are not a swarm at the end of the move, Mell suffers no damage.

Also, there is no +1 for height advantage in this instance, only attack of opportunity.

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-03, 03:40 PM
----- Jomei -----

As I see the rats come boiling out of the sewer grates and swarm over Mellavin and Zaefnur. I take careful aim at the group swarming over Mellavin after seeing him slice into them I shoot at knot of rats towards the outside of the group and then quickly nock another arrow.


Attack - [roll0] took a minus -4 for firing into melee combat
Damage - [roll1]

Stat Block
INIT Phase: 21
AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 20
Saves: Fort 4, Ref, 6, Will 3 - (reflex 9 when with in 60' of Jaeur)

readied items: Bow (free action to draw axes quick draw)

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +10 move and +3 reflex

Maryring
2008-03-03, 04:55 PM
As the rats start to pour out of the sewer, Kirke moves into action as quickly as possible. She points her wand towards the mass of rat, and quickly speaks the command words "Blue Pearl". She taps her hand slightly, and an orb of cold, blue energy comes out.

Current Location ( L 12 )
Touch Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

INIT Phase: (1d20+1)[13]
AC: 15 (Flat: 14, Touch: 11)
HP: 15
Saves: Fort 3, Ref, 2, Will 4

readied items: A frost blue wand inlaid with a blue glass pearl

spells/effects active: Mage Armor

Margrave
2008-03-03, 08:24 PM
Shep & Best

If the swarm still remains, Shep will urge Best forward to tear into as many rats as he can. If any still remain, Shep will burn them with his flaming fist.

ooc:
Best: [roll0]
Best: [roll1]

Shep: [roll2]
Shep: [roll3]

Stat Block

Current Location (L8)
Hide Roll: -
Move Silent Roll: -
Spot: 7
Listen: 24

INIT Phase: 10
AC: 23 (Flat: 18, Touch: 16) +2 more if vs. ranged attacks
HP: 29/29
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6

readied items: produce flame (3 uses), loaded sling with silver bullet

spells/effects active: bull's strength (3min), produce flame (3 minutes), bite of the wererat (persistent)

Mount/Familiar/Animal Companion Stats:
Current Location (L8)
Hide Roll: -
Move Silent Roll: -
Spot: 6
Listen: 14

INIT Phase: 10
AC: 25 (Flat 16, Touch 15)
HP: 31/31
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +2

spells/effects active: bull's strength (3min), produce flame (3 minutes), bite of the wererat (persistent)

grego
2008-03-03, 09:30 PM
Nathan

Once the flood of rats begins to pour out of the sewer, Nathan's concern for his new companions overrules his fear of breaking the peace bond. With a mighty grunt, he tears the greatsword's peace knot as he unsheathes his weapon. A dim blue glow emanates from the sword as he holds it two-handed, and lunges towards the swarm of rats attacking Zaefner.


Current Location (G8)

ini: 12
AC: 18
HP: 26

1. Move from G8 to H8
2. Attack the swarm of rats at H7
Attack: [roll0]
If hit, damage: [roll1]

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3

Attacking with:
Greatsword (+1) to hit: +5
2d6+11 (+6 str (2-h), +1 magic, +4 (+2 powerattack, x2 2-h))

Dustyme
2008-03-03, 11:04 PM
---Jaxal---

To himself :This has to be the prelude to something bigger. It's just a distraction.

Jax stays hunkered down and concentrates on watching & listening for the boot to drop.

To self again: Either the buggers found another way insideor they're coming in from the skylight.

Jax pays special attention to the skylight area but quickly scans the walls and doors ignoring the rats and holes.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]I'm holding my action untill something bigger pops it's head. If I see something threatening hen I will attempt to sneak atack it.



Current Location (H 11 - 10')

INIT Phase: 19

AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 10
Saves: Fort 1, Ref, 5, Will 5

readied items: Short Bow Composite (AB+4; dmg 1d6; sneak att +1d6; PBS 30'> +1; crit 20/x3)
Torch, Everburning (at feet but covered)

Darius
2008-03-04, 09:27 AM
Jomei fires his bow into the mass of rats to the south. Although he skewers a rat, it does little to stop the entire swarm. Zaefner and his horse attack the creatures as they come out.

ooc:

To keep things moving, I am rolling for Zaefner.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

AoO
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]


Jaxal scans the warehouse as if he is waiting for something. He sees nothing in the windows, but is sure that something bigger is coming.

With the words of magic spoken, the normally quiet magess fires an icy orb into the midst of the rat swarm. She connects, but manages to only freeze one of the tiny creatures which has no effect on the entire tangle of rats.

After the volley of missile fire - both magical and mundane - it is evident to all that targeting individual rats is completely ineffective. It appears that wide swathing melee attacks like those done by Mellavin are the best method of dealing with the creatures. Ironically, Zaefner's horse's hooves squishing the rats through blunt force appears to work better than a piercing surgical strike or a slashing strike does.


ooc:
Nathan, Shep, and Jaeur, you can do something this round if you like. Otherwise, we will move to round2.

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-04, 10:32 AM
----- Jomei -----

After seeing my shot pass through the swarm with little effect I hunker down and ready a shot. These rats must have a leader either the dire rat with the strange eyes or the person that was trying to break in if they are not the same creature. I quickly scan from sewer opening to sewer opening to both doors.


Spot [1d20+4] -1 if bright light
Readied action shot at Dire Rat or Medium Creature with strange eyes coming through any of the entrances

Attack and damage for readied action

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Stat Block
INIT Phase: 21
AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 20
Saves: Fort 4, Ref, 6, Will 3 - (reflex 9 when with in 60' of Jaeur)

readied items: Bow (free action to draw axes quick draw)

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +10 move and +3 reflex

Darius
2008-03-04, 11:43 AM
As the rats scurry away, the party has little time to relax. As Jax had suspected, these swarms of rats were merely a diversion for a different threat. The twang of crossbows replaces the sound of scratching feet and squeaking voice. Two bolts fly at Mellavin and two more at Jomei.


Sneak1 - [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Sneak2 - [roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
Sneak3 - [roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
Sneak4 - [roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]


Looking up, four silouettes are in the window sills, using the concealment of darkness to hide their position. They reload and fire upon the next of the party.


vKirke - [roll12]
[roll13]
vDaven - [roll14]
[roll15]
vJax - [roll16]
[roll17]
vJaeur - [roll18]
[roll19]

Dustyme
2008-03-04, 03:00 PM
---Jaxal---

Watching an arrow thunk into the box ner his foot Jax spots the assailants.
"Well, so much for hiding. Look to the skylight!"

Jaxal hops off the front side of the 10' boxes onto the 5' stack then again and moves up to (H13) the next set of crates. Jax makes sure to cover himself from the bowmen at the skylight as much as possible (partial/full cover?) and takes a defensive posture. He points at a figure (#1) in the window and mutters a few words in a strange language. A small fiery orb zips out towards the figure silhouetted in the stars.
"Toby! Dinner! Wait till their mostly dead then eat up buddy!"

Orb if Fire, Lesser: Ranged Touch
Spell Failure (Armor 10%) [roll0]% (1-10% is bad)
Attack: [roll1] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?)
Damage: [roll2] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?)
Crit: [roll3] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?) / Crit Dmg: [roll4]
-------------------------------------
Current Location (H 11 - 10') (X:H-13, Y:+0’)

INIT Phase: 19

AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13) ((partial cover 1&2: full cover 3&4?))
HP: 10
Saves: Fort 1, Ref, 5 (8), Will 5

readied items: Short Bow Composite (AB+4; dmg 1d6; sneak att +1d6; PBS 30'> +1; crit 20/x3)
Torch, Ever-Burning (at H-11)

Spells Available: (Failure 10%; Armor)
Lvl 0: 5, Prestidigitation 4
Lvl 1: 4, OoF, Lesser 3

Edit:
Jax groans in disgust as his orb shoots about 2' into the air then fizzles out when he looses concentration due to a bit of his armor links catching his chest hair during the final gesture...

Margrave
2008-03-04, 03:41 PM
Shep and Best

The halfling speaks some words in a language the others do not understand and Best moves to behind the crates at L13. From there, Shep tosses a small fireball at figure4.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] - low = bad, I assume

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-04, 04:09 PM
----- Jomei -----
As the shots rain down from the sky lights I spin no longer looking toward the sewers but up the sky light and shoot and the second figure from the left

After shooting I drop down to the lower box next to me then from there down to the floor then I step behind the crate I was standing on to get cover from the archers above.


Attack on wererat 2 I16
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

End my move on the ground at I13 behind the box

Stat Block
INIT Phase: 21
AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 20
Saves: Fort 4, Ref, 6, Will 3 - (reflex 9 when with in 60' of Jaeur)

readied items: Bow (free action to draw axes quick draw)

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +5 move and +3 reflex

grego
2008-03-05, 12:29 AM
Nathan

Nathan sees his usually effective greatsword swing hopelessly through the horde of rats, only catching a few, and is momentarily relieved when they disappear. Upon hearing the crossbows fire, Nathan looks up to see the silhouettes at the skylight, then moves swiftly behind some crates for cover. Curses... I'm useless at range... I need a way to get those bastards down... Or I have to climb up. Nathan's feels his face get red hot with embarrassment. He should have bought a bow.

He glances at the door, trying to think if climbing up to fight hand-to-hand on the roof would be feasible. He wipes the dirty scum off his blade.

They aren't going to give up that position, not while they still have bolts... I need to convince someone to help me climb up... once I'm up a floor, I could easily pull them up... then its 2 vs. 4 on the roof, but at least I know I could deal some real damage."


Current location I11, back against crate

ini: 12
AC: 18
HP: 26

1. Move from G8 to I11
2. Wipe blade on breeches
3. Contemplate climbing the roof. 3x DC 15 climb check, my bonus is +6...someone could boost me, then I pull them up, do it 3x... gladly accepting suggestions, or partners who want to duke it out on the roof... could be pretty epic.

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3

Current Weapon:
Greatsword (+1) to hit: +5
2d6+11 (+6 str (2-h), +1 magic, +4 (+2 powerattack, x2 2-h))

Bender
2008-03-05, 01:28 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Mellavin ignores the bolt that hit hard and deep and holds his sword in his left hand, while his right reaches for a javelin. He takes a lucky throw at the nearest ratman, and jumps aside in the cover of the tall crates to his right, clamping his sword again with both hands.
have to get up, evil rats, kill them, how to get up

[roll0]
[roll1]

Is there a way to climb up?

Current Location ( K 12 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 25/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 7 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (17 rnds)/ Protection from evil (28 rnds)/rage (7 rnds)

Maryring
2008-03-05, 04:14 PM
Kirke staggers backwards a bit as the bolt nicks into her shoulder, tearing through cloth and drawing blood. She turns her gaze up at the skylight, and with a wave and arcane words, a slippery substance appears underneath the feet of the wererats. She then hurries towards a crate, where she can take cover.


Current Location ( H 11 ?)

Casts grease up on the skylight.

INIT Phase: (1d20+1)[13]
AC: 15 (Flat: 14, Touch: 11)
HP: 15
Saves: Fort 3, Ref, 2, Will 4

readied items: A frost blue wand inlaid with a blue glass pearl

spells/effects active: Mage Armor

Darius
2008-03-06, 09:32 AM
When her words of magic are complete, a ten foot section of the window sill under the third figure is coated in a slick substance, and it drips down the wall. Those watching see the third figure begin to slip and lose its balance. With a chattering unhuman cry the figure flails its arms and falls out the window to the outside.

Using the boxes, Daven jumps down from his perch and pulls out a torch from his pack. He puts the boxes between himself and the snipers so that he does not prose as a target.

Zaefner sheaths his sword, rides his horse over to the wall underneath the first silouette, and stands up on it and starts to climb. [roll0] However, his armor is too heavy, and he slips back down and lands on his horse to try again next round.

Jaeur rides his steed over to the door and dismounts quickly. He shoves the box enough to allow the party to get outside if they wished.

Darius
2008-03-06, 01:11 PM
Seeing their opportunity, the three snipers turn their attention on the climbing Zaefner. Three bolts fly at the flat-footed knight. However, the bolts deflect harmlessly off the fullplate of the warrior and cause no harm.

A sound attracts Kirke's attention, and the elven magess' keen eyes spy movement in the darkness. She sees that a rat-faced man, complete with mangy fur and tail is just behind Nathan (Kirke sees/hears #6). Kirke also sees that other figures move in the darkness near her friends (#8). Seeing Kirke's reaction encourages Nathan to turn around. Nathan notices the rat-man sneaking up behind him (#6) and also sees a similar figure next to Daven (#8). Jaeur hears movement coming from the southeast, and his keen battle sense tells him that there are figures that must have climbed up from the hole. Both halfling and dog spot the figure next to Daven, who seems oblivious to its presense (#8). Even in his frenzied state, Mellavin can hear the scratch of several clawed feet to all coordinates south of him (though he cannot see any of them).

ooc: Top of the order.

Bender
2008-03-06, 01:34 PM
Mellavin Shortbark

With his back against the crates and considering his possibilities to deal damage, Mellavin focusses south as he hears the noises. He rushes down the middle alley between the crates in search of something to pound.
As soon as he sees the wererat at his left, he slashes out

[roll0] (forgot flanking, so +2)
[roll1]

Assuming he can see the wererats when he comes across them.

Current Location ( J 11 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 25/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 7 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (16 rnds)/ Protection from evil (27 rnds)/rage (6 rnds)

grego
2008-03-06, 01:53 PM
Nathan

Kirke's surprised look draws Nathan's attention to the two ratty little figures behind him. This time he does not hesitate, and slashes the small figure directly behind him (#6) with his glowing blue greatsword.


Current location I11, back against crate

ini: 12
AC: 18
HP: 26

1. Hit rat man #6
attack: [roll=AttackRat6]1d20+5
damage: [roll0]
(possible crit? [roll1])

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3

Current Weapon:
Greatsword (+1) to hit: +5
2d6+11 (+6 str (2-h), +1 magic, +4 (+2 powerattack, x2 2-h))
[/spoiler]

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-06, 02:29 PM
----- Jomei -----

I aim again at the spiper in the window directly above me pulling back I let loose another arrow



Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Staying on the ground at I13 behind the box

readied items: Bow (free action to draw axes quick draw)

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +5 move and +3 reflex

Margrave
2008-03-07, 09:37 AM
Shep and Best

Shep takes aim with his sling and wings the silver bullet at the smoldering target he had struck before (#4). He then speaks the druidic language to command Best to wheel around to trip and bite the figure they both saw, which brings his flaming hand to shed light upon those in the dark side of the warehouse.

ooc:
[roll0]
[roll1]

then have Best move m13, n13, o12, and n11 to attack.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Maryring
2008-03-07, 11:12 AM
Thinking that Nathan will take care of the wererat behind her fine, Kirke calmly turns towards one of the rats walking on the skylight and points her wand on him. "Blue pearl." She speaks softly, as another blue bolt of energy flies out.


Current Location ( L 12 )
Touch Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

INIT Phase: (1d20+1)[13]
AC: 15 (Flat: 14, Touch: 11)
HP: 12
Saves: Fort 3, Ref, 2, Will 4

readied items: A frost blue wand inlaid with a blue glass pearl

spells/effects active: Mage Armor

Dustyme
2008-03-07, 12:38 PM
---Jaxal---

Knowing the only way to win a battle is to survive it Jax hunkers down behind the crates and mumbles the words to another spell.

Shield (Shared with familiar)
Spell Failure (Armor 10%) [roll0]% (1-10% = Failure)
-------------------------------------
Current Location (H 11 - 10') (X:H-13, Y:+0’)

INIT Phase: 19

AC: 22/26(cover) (Flat: 19/23, Touch: 13/17) ((Shield; Cover: +4 AC, +2 Ref))
HP: 10
Saves: Fort 1, Ref, 5/7 (8/10), Will 5

readied items: Short Bow Composite (AB+4; dmg 1d6; sneak att +1d6; PBS 30'> +1; crit 20/x3)
Torch, Ever-Burning (at H-11)

Spells Available: (Failure 10%; Armor)
Lvl 0: 5, Prestidigitation: 4
Lvl 1: 4, OoF, Lesser, Shield: 2

A slight glimmer appears a few inches infront of Jax.

Darius
2008-03-07, 03:34 PM
The battle continues...

Undaunted by his fall, the knight gets to his feet, climbs upon his horse, and tries [roll0] once again.

Jomei takes careful aim, for the half-orc's darkvision easily negates the shadows. His arrow finds its mark, but the hybrid rat-man simply pulls the arrow from his chest and throws it down unfazed as the wound heals over in the blink of an eye.

Jaxal summons a magical shield of protection to deflect the blows and missiles that will surely continue.

Mellavin finds a target that he can sink his sword into. He runs forward and keeps going until he is flanking one of the rat-men. The rat-man sees an opening in the overextension of Mellavin's movement and strikes at the dwarf. His rapier sticks into the raging barbarian, but does not stop him. The rat-man's eyes go wide when he sees the glowing blade empowered by his goddess come down in a vicious arc. With the mighty blow, the rat-man falls. Immediately, his rat form begins to shift to reveal that of a man in dark clothing who lays bleeding on the floor.

Daven pulls out a torch and his tinder box from his pack but then stops suddenly. He looks down at his chest where the point of a rapier blade protrudes where it wasn't before. The ranger slumps over and falls to the ground, bleeding. Behind him, another wererat stands with what must be a smile across its unnatural face.

That smile is short lived as Best rounds the corner of the crates and tears into the wererat - knocking it down. Most of the wound immediately heals, but a faint trickle of blood is evident on the throat of the wererat. Unfortunately, Shep's sling shot had flown into the darkness near one of the snipers to no effect.

Kirke levels her wand at one of the wererats in the window. She scores a hit. The ratman tries to keep his [roll1], but fails. It falls to the ground with an audible crunch even from inside. Before she can celebrate her victory, she feels the poke of a pointy sword tip stick into her back. Luckily her mage armor stops most of it from piercing her flesh - leaving only a minor scratch. Seeing that his attack was not effective, the ratman stabs again - this time deeper (-5 damage total).


vs. Kirke
[roll2]
[roll3]

in case of fall:
[roll4]

GimliFett
2008-03-07, 04:50 PM
Jaeur Pershing

Jaeur quickly mounts and reins his horse around in order to attack the rat-man closest to him. The horse attempts to bite and crush the lycanthrope under its hooves.

Warhorse Attacks:Hoof #1: [roll0]
Crit? #1: [roll1]
Damage #1: [roll2]

Hoof #2: [roll3]
Crit? #2: [roll4]
Damage #2: [roll5]

Bite: [roll6]
Crit?: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Current Location ( g 10 )
Spot: +3
Listen: +3

INIT Phase: 9
AC: 19 (Flat: 19, Touch: 10)
HP: 13 / 17
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +6

readied items: Longsword.
spells/effects active: Auras affect all allies w/in 60'; Minor Aura- Force of Will (Will saves +3); Major Aura- Motivate Urgency (+5' Base movement).

Warhorse, Light (Large Animal) Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp);Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13;
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+9; Attack: Hoof +4 melee (1d4+3);
Full Attack: 2 hooves +4 melee (1d4+3) and bite –1 melee (1d3+1); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.; Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent; Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +5; Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6; Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4; Feats: Endurance, Run

Maryring
2008-03-07, 06:09 PM
Despite the wounds she has taken, Kirke does not drop her act of stoic calm, and turns around to face the rat. Her free hand glows with magic as she concentrates on another spell, all the while taking a step backwards to avoid retribution. Her hand flares, and a translucent barrier of force energy appear between her and the rat who stabbed her. She then points her wand towards the rat again, and her flat, emotionless voice states out "Stop".


Current Location ( H 11 )

Casts Shield

INIT Phase: (1d20+1)[13]
AC: 15 (Flat: 14, Touch: 11)
HP: 6
Saves: Fort 3, Ref, 2, Will 4

readied items: A frost blue wand inlaid with a blue glass pearl

spells/effects active: Mage Armor

Bender
2008-03-08, 03:02 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Seeing that Best seems to handle the wererat in front of him, the raging dwarf turns around and sees Kirke hurt by another. He rushes forward and pushes the ratman away from her.

1d20+9
(improved) bull rushing the rat in a straight line towards F9, drawing AoO from Nathan and Jaeur's horse.

Current Location ( I 10 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 25/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 10 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+6; dmg 2d6+12; power attack for +2; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: Magic Weapon (15 rnds)/ Protection from evil (26 rnds)/rage (5 rnds)

grego
2008-03-08, 09:30 PM
Nathan

Nathan shudders at the sight of the little rat man's dying transformation back to human form. He lets the raging dwarf run past him to knock down another ratman, and gets himself into position to dispatch the fiend if it is knocked down, knowing his way of helping his hurt and dying companions is to remove any further threat from the area.

- If Mellavin knocks down the ratman:


Nathan takes advantage of the ratman's position and attacks him while he is down.

Assuming the ratman is knocked prone to G10, and Mellavin is at I10
1. Move to H9 from I11
2. Attack the prone ratman #5

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
(possible crit? [roll2])


- If the ratman stays standing:


Nathan quickly attempts to take down the ratman after Mellavin just threw himself against the staunch little ratty figure.

1. Attack Ratman #5 from current position (I10)
(use rolls from above situation)



Stat Block

ini: 12
AC: 18
HP: 26/26

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3

Current Weapon:
Greatsword (+1) to hit: +5
2d6+11 (+6 str (2-h), +1 magic, +4 (+2 powerattack, x2 2-h))

Darius
2008-03-09, 12:44 AM
(End of Round3)

As his comrade strikes the mage, a second wererat tries his luck against the fighter, Nathan. The human's combat intuition kicks in, and he deftly dodges the rapier lunge, and it thuds into the crate where he once stood.

Sensing the danger posed to himself and the magess next to him, Nathan waits for the moment to strike. Just as the wererat is about to pounce upon his back, Nathan thrusts his sword hard behind him. The large blade cleaves though flesh and sinew and protrudes through the other side of the skinny ratman. The reddish eyes turn to a flint-black as the hybrid man's body weight brings him to the floor - blood gushing from the gaping wound. As the blood steadily flows, so does a change come over the rat-man. As if by an illusion, the form of the man quickly shifts from that of rat-like features to those of a man.

Jaeur mounts his steed and spurs it to strike the ratman threatening Kirke. The horse displays its combat training as it strikes at the lycanthrope with its hooves and even bites at him. However, the dextrous hybrid dodges out of the way of all three attacks.


Round4

Crossbows are reloaded by the two remaining wererats in the windows. They aim at the floundering Zaefner who remains protected by his full plate. It seems the very thing that is keeping the knight from climbing is the one thing that is keeping him alive.

Dustyme
2008-03-09, 02:51 PM
---Jaxal---

Jaxal straightens up still hiding behind the crate and once again points at the 1st ratman, hoping this time his spell will work.


Orb if Fire, Lesser: Ranged Touch
Spell Failure (Armor 10%) [roll0]% (1-10% = Failure)
Attack: [roll1] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?)
Damage: [roll2] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?)
Crit: [roll3] (+1 Point Blank Shot - 30'?) / Crit Dmg: [roll4]
-------------------------------------
Current Location (H 11 - 10') (X:H-13, Y:+0’)

INIT Phase: 19

AC: 22/26(cover) (Flat: 19/23, Touch: 13/17) ((Shield; Cover: +4 AC, +2 Ref))
HP: 10
Saves: Fort 1, Ref, 5/7 (8/10), Will 5

readied items: Short Bow Composite (AB+4; dmg 1d6; sneak att +1d6; PBS 30'> +1; crit 20/x3)
Torch, Ever-Burning (at H-11)

Spells Available: (Failure 10%; Armor)
Lvl 0: 5, Prestidigitation: 4
Lvl 1: 4, OoF, Lesser, Shield, OoF, Lesser: 1

"Yea! Chew on that you sewage eater!"

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-09, 04:03 PM
----- Jomei -----

I hear the shout from behind me I sheath my bow and pull out my Battle axe as I round the corner I see Daven lying on the floor bleeding with a wererat standing over him. I quickly reach into my belt pouch and pull out the potion there stepping over the dying wererat on his other side and I then pour it on Daven's wounds


Quick Draw on battle axe
Quick Draw on Potion in belt pouch
As part of my move sheath the long bow
Move to K10

Daven HP recovered [roll0]

INIT Phase: (1d20+3)[21]
AC: 18 (Flat: 15, Touch: 13)
HP: 20
Saves: Fort 4, Ref, 6, Will 3 - (reflex 9 when with in 60' of Jaeur)

readied items: Battle Axe

spells/effects active: should be with in range of Jaeur's Auras +5 move and +3 Will

Margrave
2008-03-09, 08:50 PM
Shep and Best

Shep continues to encourage his collie to continue his biting. To help his dog finish the job, Shep reaches down to touch the fallen ratman with his flaming hand.

ooc:
BestBite - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
TripStrength - [roll2] (if needed)

Shep produce flame touch [roll3]
Fire damage [roll4]

Darius
2008-03-11, 08:47 AM
Round 4

The pitched battle continues, but the tide turns as Jaxal successfully conjurs an orb of fire and flings it at the first wererat sniper in the window. It hits with a sizzle and the crossbow wielding ratman loses his balance and tries to catch himself but cannot. He falls into the warehouse right upon Zaefner just as the night gets up from falling from his climb. The impact sends both to the ground - Zaefner unconscious but presumably alive; the ratman, however, begins its transformation to human form and lies in a pool of blood.

Pressing the attack, Mellavin runs at the wererat that had just stabbed Kirke. With uncanny strength, the creature shrugs off the dwarf's charge and sends Mellavin staggering backwards. The dwarven barbarian loses his footing on the dying form of a second wererat and falls over him.

Seeing an opening, the wererat moves in for the kill and stabs at the prone form of Mellavin. The blow would have stabbed the dwarf squarely in his heart, but a flash of light erupts, deflecting the blade so it merely glances off his armor. Truly this dwarf is blessed by his faith, for it seems that he is protected from the evil of these rat men.

Jomei rushes forth to the fallen Daven and pours a potion on the wounds of his comrade. The holes bubble and hiss as they close. Daven's eyes flutter open, he says a word of thanks, and quickly scoops up his gear as he stands.

The other wererat that was on the ground had shifted into a dog-sized rat and turns on Best. The trained dog companion of Shep darts out of harm's way from the snapping teeth of the creature. Unnatural bile and froth drips from the snarling mouth of the creature, and it is obvious that a bite from this creature would draw disease or worse.

The fighter, Nathan, brings his enchanted sword down hard on the overextended thrust of the wererat attacking Mellavin. The blow would have felled a normal man, but a majority of the wounds instantly close, leaving a grievous wound.

GimliFett
2008-03-11, 09:58 AM
Jaeur Pershing

With a deft turn of the reins, Jaeur's horse attacks the rat-man once more. Even as the horse attempts to bite and crush the lycanthrope under its hooves, the marshal swings his sword, mount and rider reacting as one. "Fiend! You meet your end this day!" he shouts.

Warhorse Attacks:Hoof #1: [roll0]
Crit? #1: [roll1]
Damage #1: [roll2]

Hoof #2: [roll3]
Crit? #2: [roll4]
Damage #2: [roll5]

Bite: [roll6]
Crit?: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

My Attacks:Ride to Fight w/ warhorse, DC10: [roll9]
Attack: [roll10]; +1 for higher ground? Add if necessary.
Crit?: [roll11]; +1 for higher ground? Add if necessary.
Damage: [roll12]

Current Location ( g 10 )
Spot: +3
Listen: +3

INIT Phase: 9
AC: 19 (Flat: 19, Touch: 10)
HP: 13 / 17
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +6

readied items: Longsword.
spells/effects active: Auras affect all allies w/in 60'; Minor Aura- Force of Will (Will saves +3); Major Aura- Motivate Urgency (+5' Base movement).

Warhorse, Light (Large Animal) Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp);Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13;
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+9; Attack: Hoof +4 melee (1d4+3);
Full Attack: 2 hooves +4 melee (1d4+3) and bite –1 melee (1d3+1); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.; Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent; Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +5; Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6; Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4; Feats: Endurance, Run

Bender
2008-03-11, 10:25 AM
Mellavin Shortbark

Mellavin curses heavily and loudly with surprise as he fails to push back the scrawny wererat and falls down himself. Seeing the foul creature is already wounded, and knowing Ehlonna won't be able to protect him from every attack, he lunges his sword up from his unfavourable position, hoping to finish it of.

[roll0]
[roll1]
If the attack fells the rat, he stands up.

Current Location ( I 10 )

INIT Phase: 18
AC: 16 (Flat: 14, Touch: 10; all +2 against evil)
HP: 25/36
Saves: Fort 10, Ref, 2, Will 10 (all: +2 against evil)

readied weapon: greatsword (AB+4; dmg 2d6+8; magic weapon +1)

spells/effects active: prone/ Magic Weapon (14 rnds)/ Protection from evil (25 rnds)/rage (4 rnds)

Darius
2008-03-11, 08:01 PM
Rat Finks

Jaeur demonstrates his fine horsemanship as he and mount act as one. All blows from hoof or blade bounce off and do no visible damage to the ratman.

Seeing that there is little hope for victory, the ratman withdraws from combat - shifting as he does so into a dog-sized dire rat and escapes down the hole. He screeches out a warning to his rat companion who does the same. Once the sniper above sees his companions escape, he too descends down - his ratman claws scraping against the wood as he does so. As quickly as it had begun, the battle has ended.

Searching the bodies of the ratmen you find that each of the ground assault has a rapier (2 total) and the sniper inside had a light crossbow and 8 bolts. Those that had fallen outside are no where to be found when the party investigates.

Zaefner puts the three bodies on his horse, and he and Daven offer to take these criminals back to the Captain.

After those two leave, several men in typical dockworker attire show up. They produce badges of the city watch and corroborate the story Captain Largent told you. They point out a moored vessel on the end of the pier and begin loading the foodstuffs onto the boat. Bartholomew identifies himself and asks for the letter. He reads it, nods and says, "Welcome 'board th' 'Mistress. She be a beauty. Stow yer gear in yon aft cabin an' rest if ye like. Me an' th' lads 'ill take care o' this. From th' looks o' it, ye could use th' rest."

Closer inspection of the craft show that it is a 2 masted sloop - a low to the water fast craft. It has a small crew of 4 sailors, but it seems that is all this vessel will need. Bartholomew says, "If'n ye need to pick somethin' b'fore we get goin', ye best gets it now."

ooc: 800 xp; 17gp and 14sp total in purses.

grego
2008-03-11, 09:13 PM
Nathan

Nathan wipes the scum from his glowing blade before replacing it in its scabbard once the rats have left, and breathes a heavy sigh of relief when the dockworkers come to take the merchandise.

As he lays eyes on the boat, Nathan asks the captain "Will there be room for my horse? She's stabled in town, I'll have to pay the stablemaster a bit more if I'm going to leave her here..."

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-11, 11:12 PM
----- Jomei -----

I bend down and pick up the rapiers and crossbows. I then retie the peace knots on my weapons. After looking around and making sure the loading is going as planned. I walk over to the loading ramp.

Hello, Capt'n what time do we cast off? I have time to pick up some supplies before we leave? That or maybe you have the supplies I need. I was going to pick up some silver daggers and some cold iron and silver arrows.


Use Rope to retie the knots
[roll0]

OOC
I am looking to purchase 10 silver arrows and 10 cold iron arrows and 2 silver daggers SRD Price is 22 Gold for each dagger and 3 gold per bundle of 20 silver arrows and 2 Gold for 20 Cold Iron Arrows I want to use the rapiers as part of the trade as well SRD list them as 20 Gold each. Let me know if I have time and if they are available I will do the IC barter post

Dustyme
2008-03-11, 11:50 PM
---Jaxal---

Jax walks over ad picks up his dropped torch and cloak while Toby jumps out to sniff at the rats. He then tilts his head back as his eyes roll up into the the sockets and mumbles the words to a spell (Detect Magic). He runs his hands over all the equipment and does a thorough search of the area before leaving.
Search [roll0]

As the workers show up:
"Well gent's and lady, might I suggest a few of us hustle back over to the Inn to sell some of this excess? I lay no claim to any particular piece of this pie. I suggest we split everything evenly and call any equipment kept 90% of market value."
OOC: Anotherwords if you keep it then you get charged for 90% of its value from the total party pool. We can just keep tabs on total $$$ value of our pooled equipment in the OOC thread. If the item(s) are a bit more then you just owe the pool $$. We can roll randomly if 2 or more people want the same item (unless 1 of them already owes the pool).

Assuming we sell everything (to the gypsies? or whomever is closest in town that sells such) I'd like to see if they have a set of dice and/or any extra CLW.
-------------------------
Spells Available:
0: 4
1st: 1

At the ship Jaxal gets a huge grin on his face.

"WOW!!! I always wanted to get on a ship! Can I help sail it? Can I toss the ropes around? Can I climb up onto the mast?"

As soon as the Captain asks them aboard and directs them below Jaxal runs up onto the deck and zooms to the cabin. He finds the hammock with the best veiw and dumps his pack underneath then runs out onto the deck again and looks expectantly at the Captain.

"What can I do first?"

Bender
2008-03-12, 02:37 AM
Mellavin

When Mellavin sees the rats disappear, instead of rising to his feet he just sits up straight. The ferocity is gone from his eyes and he looks very tired. He looks around to the others. In a considerably less strong voice as before: "What was their problem, we taught them right... is anybody hurt? I can offer some healing"

As he takes a look at the mighty sword in his hands, he sees the blood and rat intestines. The glow starts to fade and it looks dull and gross. "Ehlonna, help me clean the filth of these evil foes." Water starts to rain down the sword, rinsing it.

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-12, 10:47 AM
----- Jomei -----

Jaxal that is a good idea do you think you could sell this stuff and maybe get the equipment I was talking about. I just know if I try to buy it my self I will get way overcharged. But you were in Rosie's and there should be someone there that can convert these to coin. He holds up the the rapiers and crossbows in his hands. I can even be your silent bodyguard coin carrier or if you think you can bargain better with out me I have a Sterling which should be twice the cost of the items I need

Dustyme
2008-03-12, 01:43 PM
---Jaxal---

"By the way, when I say 90% I mean if your going to use it. Otherwise I think it should be party of the pool of funds we get."

Looks at the 1/2 Orc:
"I would be perfectly happy to assist you in purchasing goods. After all if you survive it helps me to survive as well Feel free to come with me or not. Just don't glower at the merchants or gypsies please. They are hard enough to understand without them being mad at us."

Maryring
2008-03-12, 04:16 PM
Kirke leans down to support the dwarf as he gets to his feet. When he is standing, she begins to chant softly while moving her hand across the weapon, cleaning it until it is practically shining. She then silently starts to mutter a new spell to mend the tears in her clothing, all the while not speaking anything but the arcane words of power.

Casts Mending and Prestidigitation to clean up the mess around her.

Bender
2008-03-13, 09:53 AM
Mellavin

"wow, thanks Kirke" says Mellavin as he admires his shiny, never-been-so-clean sword.
He continues to supply healing wherever needed (including himself) and goes to fetch his javelin. To Jaxal and Jomei "good luck with the trading, you're probably far better at it than me, I'll check out these cabins in the boat, and rest a bit."

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-13, 10:19 AM
----- Jomei -----

Nathan, Kirke, Mellavin, Jaeur do you need any thing while we are getting supplies?

After getting everyone replies and orders Jomei follows Jaxal into the inn carrying the looted gear from the ratmen. He blinks at the bright light from the inn and waits trying not be intimidating.

Bender
2008-03-13, 12:51 PM
Mellavin

The dwarf thinks a bit, looks into his purse trying to estimate what is left and then answers Jomei:
"Well, actually, if you could find a silver morningstar for less then about... 120 gp, could you buy it for me?"
market value is 90+8 gp

Darius
2008-03-14, 07:05 AM
The Wavemistress

Bartholomew explains, "Yer 'orses 'ill 'ave to stay on deck, I'm afraid. Th' 'old be nay a place for an animal like tha'. Thar be enough 'ammocks for the lot o' ye. Baxter'll 'ave 'is 'ands full enough feedin' th' lot o' ye, so ye'll be in charge o' takin' care o' yer mounts." The Mistresses' captain says to Jaxal, "If'n ye know yer way 'round a ship, ye be welcome to - long as ye follow me orders, that is." He looks back at everyone, "Now, I got me a schedule to keep." Bartholomew goes back to work along with his crew. It is clear that the vessel has enough to keep the ship moving at a fast pace, but these men will not be able to be counted on sailing and fighting at the same time. Having marines or more men aboard would most likely arouse suspicion, so the party is going to have to be the ones to repel boarders if that occurs.


Back at Rosie's

After securing their horses and stowing their belongings on board the Wavemistress, the party discusses what to do with the money and items they confiscated from the wererats. Knowing no shop will be open at this late hour, the group decides to see if Gregor and his gypsies can be of service. When the group heads back into Rosie's, they are stopped at the door by Opa who looks sternly at the party and says, "What do you in Opa's warehouse? Much noise. Try to steal from Opa?"

Dustyme
2008-03-14, 05:31 PM
---Jaxal---

Looks at Opa indignantly:

"You mean you heard all that ruckus and you didn't come to see if those thieves killed us?! You cowardly little weasel! Either you are in on it or to stupid to get the right answers. Now get out of my way before I turn you into a toad. Begone we have kingdom business to finish attending to. Or do I need to call the guard?"

Bluff [roll0]

ooc: Do you want us to play out the bargaining?

"Here's your lock Opa. It was outside the building. Now before you go accusing anyone again go check your building."

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-14, 06:08 PM
----- Jomei -----

After Jaxal's outburst I look up at Opa and bare my fangs and say in a quiet voice
Opa, the City Watch is probably still out there watching the loading of the ship. We merely saved it from ratmen that broke into your warehouse. As my friend Jaxal says you may want to go check on your warehouse.


Intimidate check [roll0]
either -2 or +3 if you let me use strength instead of charsima

grego
2008-03-15, 09:10 PM
Nathan

Upon hearing that his horse would have to stay outside, Nathan decides it is wiser for him to leave her here. He thanks the captain and says to the group, "I've left some belongings with my horse. I'll be right back." He then walks to the stable where he left Bessie, to retrieve her saddlebags and the contents therein.

ooc:

So I guess I'm leaving my horse here, itll probably be a burden if I take it on the ship. I'm going to carry the saddlebags, and so I'm changing my character sheet to reflect that

Darius
2008-03-15, 11:54 PM
In Rosie's

Opa's eyes narrow at the threats from the two. He says as he takes the lock, "You no welcome. Go now or guard will take you."

ooc: That didn't work as planned. I guess the reward will be kept.

That also means no buying from the gypsies. Horses will be on deck of the ship since there are no stables aboard. Fast forward?

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-16, 10:14 AM
----- Jomei -----

I had the crossbows and rapiers to Jaxal and I reach in my shirt and hand him 6 gold.Remeber 10 silver tipped arrows and 10 cold iron tipped arrows and see if they have a silver morning star for Mellavin.

I then look up and stand to my full height and glower at Opa.
Come with me you lets go look at your warehouse and the dead we defended it from. You think I would kid you about the City Guard you know how much they dislike me even tho I work for them as a scout. Come on bring your lock so you can be sure to lock up when they are done loading the crates. Then when you see we tell the truth the next time you won't be so quick to bar the saviors of your precious warehouse from the warmth and comfort of your fires!

I walk outside and motion Opa to follow. I call out Ho there Zaefur and Daven wait before you ride off bring the prisoners and the dead over here. Opa is complaining about the noise instead of the results.

Vhaeryl
2008-03-16, 12:25 PM
Zaefner

Turning his horse around, Zaefner seems slightly amused.

"ZaefNER. We've spilled blood together, the least we can do is get each others names right...Jomei. Sorry about my earlier behavior...you can never tell someone's character until you've fought alongside them. Daven, would you mind taking these bodies to the captain yourself, after we satisfy the innkeeper's curiousity? I put my name on that contract, lost a considerable amount of blood protecting the cargo, and will be damned if I'm not going to see this through."

Zaefner drops the corpses off his horse and drags one to the entrance of the inn.

Darius
2008-03-17, 10:12 AM
Opa's curiosity appears piqued, and he waddles to to the door. When the ranger, Daven and fighter, Zaefner bring the captured prisoners over his eyes widen a bit. He steps back in, retrieves a lit lantern, and then hustles to the warehouse. He looks inside and sees the carnage. Crossbow bolts stuck into the crates, pools of blood, and bloody footprints (both humanoid and animal) are plainly visible.

He turns to the party and smiles, "Things disappear from Opa's warehouse. Now Opa sees why. Opa lose many crowns from these thieves. Opa think Gregor were thief. Opa wrong. Opa fix drains so only water pass through. Come, Opa have something for friends."

There seems to be a spring in the normally heavy steps of the rotund barkeep. He brings all of you inside and leads you to the bar where he pulls out eight metal hip flasks and a small keg. He begins to fill up each of the flasks as he says, "This Opa special drink - brewed Rennee Way under new moon. When drink, feel song of Rennee in heart. Drink only before need be hero - like hero of Opa - drink wear off in one hour." He gives each of you the flask and says something in the Rennee language. Sniffing the drink, you can tell it is a very potent blend.

(8 potions of heroism: This spell imbues a single creature with great bravery and morale in battle. The target gains a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for one hour).

Opa then rouses Gregor and speaks to him in the gypsie tongue. Opa points over to the group several times as he does so. When done, Opa shakes Gregor's hand and goes to talk to Rosie and the others - telling your tale to them all (whether they want to hear it or not).

When approached, Gregor smiles and says, "Appears Gregor in debt of Katzen. Opa Gregor's father-in-law and never like Gregor. Now, Gregor and Opa friends. Plus, rats would take cheese from mice. Now rats stay away." He smiles thinking about the business prospects of being the only gang on at the docks. "Now, how can this maus help Katzen?" Gregor says as he gets down to business.

ooc: He will have whatever you wish to buy, so give me the total to subtract from the party fund.

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-17, 11:31 AM
As we walk back inside I walk over to Gregor's table and with Jaxal's help I purchace 10 Silver Arrows for 1 noble 5 silver and 10 Cold Iron Arrows for 1 noble of my own funds. We also purchase a silver morning star with 98 nobles recieved from Mellavin.

After the purchasing and selling is done I walk back out and board the ship.

Nathan you may want to get your horse before we leave, less as the Captain mentioned it gets eaten. Jaxal was able to sell the loot plus we got these 8 potions. Unless anyone has objections I say we split the take evenly. Looks like we took in 45 nobles and 14 shields so unless my calculations are incorrect we each get 6 Nobles and a potion, well one of us will get 5 Nobles and 10 Shields. What should we do with the extra 4 shields?

OOC I will take the 5 gold and 10 silver so everyone else can add just gold to their character sheet and I am ready to fast forward

Darius
2008-03-17, 12:12 PM
The Wavemistress

After buying and trading the items and getting what rest they can in their room, the party says goodbye to Opa, Rosie, and Gregor after a hearty breakfast of warm oatmeal, sweetbread, and mulled cider. Each recalls their part in the warehouse as they feel the bulge of the metal flask in their pocket or pouch. Daven will be missed, but he took his brush with death to be a sign from the gods that this is not the business he should be involved with at this time.

The Wavemistress is a beautiful craft. Bartholomew and his crew are ready to cast off, as the gang-plank is raised after the last of the eight get on board. The horses are tied to belaying pins that can easily be slipped out of their moorings if need be - allowing for the horses to be released from their places quickly. Ironically, these pegs would also make for excellent clubs in a pinch.

The quarters are tight, but there are enough hammocks for all. There also are two footlocker chests that belongings can be stowed into if desired. The gentle sway of the ship will hopefully lull you to sleep. However, right now the bustle of casting off draws everyone out onto the deck. Once the mooring lines are aboard and the anchor raised, the current can take hold of the ship, and slowly the Mistress begins its trek downriver. The chilly wind bites your faces, but you don't mind as the sails catch the wind and begin pulling the large craft towards Big Rapids at a faster clip.

Bartholomew continues to give orders, and the other crewmen scamper about - pulling on this line and that. It is clear that you are in capable hands. The sunrise is beautiful, and your heart soars. Time passes quickly and soon you feel the pangs of hunger. One thing of note, no other craft has passed either way up or down this river.

Bartholomew ushers you into his cabin. It appears to be the largest room other than the hold. That is not saying much, however, for it is cramped when all nine of you are inside. Bartholomew says, "Sit yourselves down; Baxter'll be in 'ere wit' yer sup."

After you sit down, one of the men who loaded the food aboard enters with a tray of bowls and spoons and two loaves of bread with a tub of butter with two large serated knives. He sets these down and exits. He returns with a steaming pot that he is holding onto using towels. He sets that down at the end of the table. Grabbing the first bowl, he ladles out two heaping scoops of lentil stew, puts in a spoon, and passes it down. He continues until everyone has some. "Bread be thar," he gestures, "An' dinnae worry, these be from our larder, nay yers. Save some o' the stew fer us, if ye will."

The meal is good and filling. Just as you are finishing, Baxter comes back to clean up. He loads the tray with the wooden bowls and spoons and leaves to wash them. After you are done, the day grows colder and the purple twilight is evident. One of the crew remains on deck at the aftcastle where the steering wheel is kept. The rest have finished taking down the sails save for a sole staysail that is attached to the foremast and the spanker in the aft of the ship. Satisfied, Bartholomew leaves the deck and enters into his cabin with the three others to eat. Baxter has obviously brought a meal out to the pilot, since he has tied off the wheel and is eating a bowl of the stew.

Night is fast approaching, and it appears to be time to start thinking about sleep. The thought of watches creeps in the back of your mind, since this cargo has been set upon before you even left Womtham.

Margrave
2008-03-17, 09:19 PM
Shep (and Best)

Shep takes his flask and sniffs it - then lets Best sniff it. "Thank you, Opa. I shall treasure this. We halflings are known for our taste in food in drink, and I can tell this is a good batch."

When it is time to board, Shep doesn't go inside until it is time to eat. Instead, he takes in all the sights. His endure elements spell protects both he and Best from any of the cold. He eats heartily and shares his bowl with his dog who does the same. When all are seated, Shep says, "No offense, but I plan on sleeping outdoors with Best. I like to look up at the stars at night, and frankly I don't feel comfortable indoors. I will be happy to do my share of the watch...or at least Best'll be doing most of the watch. I am a bit worried to think that some of those wererats may have stowed on board. Best and me will go below decks and check out the hold for any unusually large rats."

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-17, 10:02 PM
Once we set sail I untie all the peace knots on my weapons. I enjoy the meal with the captain. Once the evening sky starts to darken and the ship begins to batten down for the night I speak up.
With the eight of us we should probably split into watches of 2 I will gladly take the mid watch if some one wishes to join me who ever takes the first watch wake me when it is my turn. Hey, Shep let me join you in checking the holds.


Gonna take 20 and search the hold throughly with Shep before settling down in a hammock for the night I keep my armor on and hang my backpack and weapons with in easy reach.

Bender
2008-03-17, 11:05 PM
Mellavin

earlier to Jomei: "you keep those 4 shields for now, buy something nice for the group later."

He thoroughly thanks Opa, Gregor and Rosie for the nice place to stay and the good food and the drinks, and carefully puts away the flask. He replaces his regular morningstar, which he puts at the bottom of his bag, with the new silver one.

On the boat, he obviously enjoys the view and the ride in general. He talks about it with anyone who wants to join in, without pushing too hard or holding up the work of the crewman. After the meal: "Maybe I should take a watch in the death of night, with me seeing in the dark and that."

Darius
2008-03-18, 08:46 AM
Readying 21, sunset on the Wavemistress

Jomei, Shep and Best climb down the stairs into the hold. Shep takes a hooded lantern off of one of the hooks and sees that inside is a continual light wick. This makes sense, as it would not be good to have a fire on board a vessel made of wood. The three begin their exploration of the large bilge and crate stowage.

The walls are sealed with tar and pitch to keep out the water that would undoubtedly seep in. Some has of course, but there is not enough to worry about, for it only sloshes under the floor boards. The extra weight adds ballast to keep the vessel righted in high winds and rough seas. The floor keep the cargo dry, so there is no worry of rotting or spoiling of the dried food.

All cargo is accounted for and remains sealed in the crates. Shep and Jomei let Best sniff around, and the dog finds that they are not alone, but it is simply the garden variety of stow-aways...rats. Not enough to warrant a swarm, but enough to be noticed. No rat is larger than a typical rodent, so it seems that Shep's caution was good, but unwarranted.

Darius
2008-03-18, 10:40 AM
Readying 22, aboard the Wavemistress

Watches were discussed and set, and it appears as though the crew has one member awake to pilot the ship during the night. The night passes uneventfully, and the cramped quarters provide for an interesting night. However, enough rest is gained by all to feel refreshed. All are awake when the Bartholomew ushers you into his quarters for breakfast.

Baxter brings a similar cookpot of a gravy made from animal fat, tack biscuits that have been heated, and soft boiled eggs. Everyone gets their share, and Baxter leaves with the pot and pan. When the group is done, Baxter collects the dishes and when the party exits, they see the men are eating their meal outside. They resume toiling at climbing the rigging and getting the sails to full tack.

One of the men stays in the railed platform atop the masthead in the crow's nest. That position rotates, and at around noon the sailor on duty calls down and says, "Smoke ahead - Portside." He points in the direction you are heading on the left bank.

Bartholomew gives orders to lower the sails and weigh anchor. He turns to the group, "Thar be smoke comin' from th' direction o' Big Rapids. Tha' cannae be good. I needs ye to take yon longboat an' see wha' be 'appenin'"

A large boat that will hold all of you (and a small crate or two as well - but no horses) is uncovered and is hoisted up on blocks and tackles and swung to the side using a crane-like contraption.

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-18, 11:57 AM
Jomei look around the group once the captain walks off he whispers
I am sure that our Captain is honest but lets not push temptation. While I agree we need to investigate I think we need to leave some people here to help guard the supplies. I would suggest a healer and a fighter remain here with the boat at the bare minimum. he looks over to our knights. I will leave it to you as to what you think our best tactics would be. I am a scout so I can stay and guard the boat or I can go with the group in the longboat which ever you deem is best. he pauses in thought for a moment Or you can drop me a shore and I can work my way up river on land to scout the location and come back and report. Again what ever you think the best way to handle this.

Vhaeryl
2008-03-18, 04:17 PM
Zaefner

"I agree...as much as I would like to trust the captain, it would be awfully easy for him to just sail away. Given the choice, I would rather get my feet on dry land than stay on this boat any longer."

Maryring
2008-03-19, 07:33 AM
The wizardess has remained silent through the entire trip, only opening her mouth to give thanks or introduce herself. Otherwise, she withdrew herself to read and study. However, upon hearing about the smoke, she steps outside with her diminutive companion. She pulls the bird close to her and whispers some words, before she walks over to the rest of the group to hear their plan.

Bender
2008-03-19, 09:07 AM
Mellavin

"These nice lads won't trick us, would they? But your plan sound excellent to me, Jomei."
does anyone have a decent sense motive? I was already planning to prepare a detect evil, but today it just feels too much like cheating... :smallredface:

Darius
2008-03-19, 11:41 AM
Good Intentions

No one in the party gets any sense of malevolence from Bartholomew or the crew. Mellavin considers calling upon the divine insight his goddess would allow him to see into the hearts of the men to identify if they are evil.

Thinking through this situation logically, one can understand why this information is so important. Captain Largent had mentioned that this mission was secretive and had selected naval officers he could trust. The main reason why it was vital is because the food was for the men under command of nephew of the Duke. Failing to do this would be disastrous for Largent and anyone involved. Finally, although it may not be a time of war across the continent, the humanoids continue to raid in this region, and this is a crucial point of defense for the Kingdom; it is the end of the Duntide River waterway that acts as a supply line to the front lines since religious tensions with an aggressor nation still loom in the north, and a tyrant broods in the east, while an army of monstrous marauders builds in strength. If Big Rapids were to fall, it would be devastating to the Kingdom of Nyrond and the forces in this area.

Dustyme
2008-03-19, 01:38 PM
---Jaxal---

((ooc: Stupid post not appearing! I wrote 4 paragraphs last night and they just didn't show.))

Quietly to the group only:
"I think that leaving someone behind wouldn't be a great idea. We don't know what to expect battle wise. If we leave our healer what will we do if we need to fix someone up? As for not trusting the Captain I woul think that if he was to sail back by the town without stopping he wouldn't complete his trip to get away. Besides is a it of grain worth being a criminal to him? Probably not."

Jax lifts up his sleeve and the sleep eyes of Toby the cat peer out.
"As for watching the ship I agree that something may happen whilst we are gone so Toby can keep an eye out for a bit. I suggest we talk with the Captain and find out what he will do in case of a raid."

Jaxal gets a bit of a glint in his eyes:
"We are here to protect the ship and cargo, anything else is outside of our responsibility to our contract and open to negotiation. I do however think we absolutely need to investigate this situation. It could be dire for us, the ship and possibly the kingdom."

Jax looks aroud and when he spots the Captain:
"Captain! A few question before we go. What can we expect at the rapids? Is the a town, village or any structures? Who is normally in charge there? Who might be likely to attack the place?"

((ooc: I assume we are going down river so we will be heading into the top of the rapids area.))

"Jomei, I think it a fine idea to scout out on land as well but maybe we should wait until we get closer to the landing so the group doesn't get split up."

After everything is settled Jax places his cat on the deck and goes below to get all of his gear.

Margrave
2008-03-19, 08:14 PM
Shep

"I can understand your concern, but I trust these men. What I don't like is a wild fire spreading. I say we get going quickly while we can still make a difference."

Vhaeryl
2008-03-19, 08:40 PM
Zaefner

"If you're willing to take that chance, its no skin off my back; I already have my writ."

Zaefner peers off towards the smoke.

"So how are we going to go about this? While I'm all for coming to the aid of a town in distress, I'd rather not walk into an occupied city...if you're willing to scout things out Jomei, I agree that may be the best plan."

LatemYvaeh
2008-03-19, 10:05 PM
Jomei looks around and listens to all his new companions ideas and suggestions
OK looks like we are going to trust the captain and his crew. So first we should borrow a map or a chart of the river. Then what I think would be best is for us to travel by boat toward the Big Rapids. When we get as close as we can with out the risk of being seen we will land and I will scout further ahead to see what is going on. I will then come back and report to you all. We can make further plans to deal with what I find.
Jomei looks up at Jaxal I had heard that spell casters could communicate with their pets over vast distances. So thank you for leaving your friend here. If this is a trap to lure us away and leave it defenseless we will know as soon as possible so we can turn back to rescue the ship and your friend.

(ooc)
Pause for anyone else's suggestions and modifications to the plans


If a map is available Jomei looks over it with everyone else to familiarize himself as much as possible with the region ahead of them. He then grabs his gear and boards the boat. Once everyone is aboard he helps row and guide the boat to best landing spot they were able to locate with the map and captains help that was not with in site of big rapids. I then use my stealth and survival skills to get with in viewing distance of big rapids with out being spotted if at all possible.


Knowledge Geography [roll0] For looking over the map
Survival Check [roll1] for getting to the selected landing spot
Survival Check [roll2] for getting from the landing spot to a veiwing spot of the big rapids and the smoking area
Move Silent Check [roll3]
Hide Check [roll4]
Spot Check [roll5]

Bender
2008-03-20, 02:37 AM
Mellavin

Mellavin gets his pack and checks his gear. He somehow seems to be looking forward to this, because he's smiling. "I'm ready to offer my help to the people of Big Rapids."

Darius
2008-03-20, 08:44 AM
---Jaxal---
Jax looks aroud and when he spots the Captain:
"Captain! A few question before we go. What can we expect at the rapids? Is the a town, village or any structures? Who is normally in charge there? Who might be likely to attack the place?"

Bartholomew replies to the inquiry, "Big Rapids be th' end o' th' line for boats on th' Duntide. Ye see as th' river enters the Flinty 'Ills, th' rocks form all sorts o' rapids which be th' namesake o' th' small town which be more o' a fort than anything else. These rapids stop all boats - ev'n small craft like longboats. It acts as the border of Womtham.

The fort an' soldiers within are commanded by Sir Laurel Boomgren. 'E be a cheery sot who dreams o' joust in a tourney in Rel Mord someday. 'Owever, th' men like 'im, for 'e be a cleric of Heironeous as well as a knight. Plus, 'e and his soldiers rarely patrol more than a few miles from the fort - so they be guaranteed to nay find much resistance an' be more likely tae make it 'ome tae thar families when their tour be over."

Bartholomew doesn't hide his opinions well, for it seems evident that he doesn't think that Sir Laurel is full up on bravery. Besides the typical navy/army rivalry, it seems evident that Bartholomew was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and had to work up to his position. Sir Laurel, being a nephew of the Duke, most likely has rose to his position not by merit, but by blood.

"As for attackin' Big Rapids, me guess would be orcs."

ooc:
The Duntide is pretty straight forward - it is a wide and slightly meandering river. The current is enough to take the longboat back to Wavemistress and Womtham, if necessary; it won't take much experiential knowledge to row upstream to the fort (using the sail, however, would). The 'town' itself is simply a walled fortress where the people live inside. There are certainly farmers, fishermen and the like with homes outside the structure, but many of the layworkers could find refuge within the fort in a time of crisis. Bartholomew estimates that a garrison of 100 men are at Big Rapids.

He also indicates that there is a chain blockade that spans the river and is manned by a central tower. This will allow ships to pass through to the fort and down river to the rest of Womtham.

Dustyme
2008-03-20, 01:37 PM
---Jaxal---

"Thank you kindly Captain. I'm sorry my mind must be slipping a bit. It be the cold."

To the group looking a Jomei:
"Yes I am somewhat able to comunnicate with my friend Toby here however the distance is not as great as you seem to think. I am not some all powerful wizard I am merely a humble mystic with a few small tricks."

"As for scouting I think that is a good idea and I volunteer to accompany you at least part way. I have no woodslore but I can be fairly quiet when needed. Just don't ask me to row that boat, labor is not where my talents lay."

Jaxal suddenly looks at a spot about 6" above Jomei's head and starts mumbling to himself. Jax's eyes grow wide and he seems both slightly upset and releived over whatever he saw.

If you listen closely to what he whispers you hear:
"The portents are not good enough to say such about that. No, I think that what you say and show standing in our path is not so easily overcome. Fear is both our ally and our nemesis. Battle is our brother and he be both unforgiving and welcome."
It's almost as if he can't see the rest of the group as Jax speaks both to himself and someone unseen.

((ooc: I'll take all my gear with me.))

Margrave
2008-03-20, 07:29 PM
Shep and Best


Shep replies to Jomei's comment, "I can communicate with Best or other animals through a spell. Best can also understand certain commands." Shep then looks over at Kirke, "If you send your bird overhead as we travel by boat, it would save us some valuable time and allow us to scout that way."

Bender
2008-03-21, 02:33 AM
Mellavin

"Ehlonna grants me the gift to speak with animals as well. So let us not waste any more time, those poor folks might need us urgently."
Mellavin starts to descend to the longboat, uncertain on his legs, but with a persistent look in his eyes.

Maryring
2008-03-21, 07:30 AM
Kirke listens intently to the plan the others make, and when she is requested to send her friend ahead, a barely noticeable frown appears on her face. She turns her head to look at the bird, and after a few moments of wordless communication, she pulls the ball of sparkling feathers closer and whispers a few words, before she sends out the hummingbird to scout. In seconds the small bird becomes almost impossible to spot as her quick, small frame dives forward towards the smoke. Kirke stares after her for a few moment, before she too climbs down into one of the boats.

Darius
2008-03-22, 12:38 PM
ooc: Things may slow down around Easter, but they will start back up on Monday.

Darius
2008-04-01, 08:45 AM
ooc: Sorry again about the delay. Game on!

ic: Readying 23, aboard the Wavemistress

After a brief discussion of what to do about the fires, the group decides that some of the members should stay back on the boat to protect the foodstuffs while the rest take a long boat to Big Rapids. Since there are several men-at-arms and only a few "specialized" members, Nathan and Zaefner volunteer to stay back in the event that a magical, mechanical, or medical threat is needed to be dealt with ahead.

It takes a few minutes for the party to figure out how to properly row the longboat. It would be comical if not for the solemn situation of not knowing if the minutes wasted would mean life or death for those in Big Rapids. However, soon enough, with practice, the six party members and their pets make way up river towards the fortress community of Big Rapids.

The going is slow, and after what seems like hours, the small form of Kirke's familiar flits into view. Shep, with the mage's permission, casts his spell and begins conversing with the animal. Soon, his face darkens and his brow furrows. The halfling druid translates, saying, "The fortress is under attack by what I can only assume to be humanoids. Much of the surrounding city is ablaze. There are only a few 'metalskins' left in the fort. It sounds like a dire situation."

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 09:06 AM
Jaeur Pershing

The marshal shakes his head slowly, a stern look creasing his brows. "Very bad. Is there any sign of a command post for the attackers? Also a layout of the assault would be helpful, if possible." Jaeur seems much more in his element with battle iminent.

Bender
2008-04-01, 10:24 AM
Mellavin

"Then we need to hurry! Row, row as hard as you can." Mellavin starts rowing even harder than before, straining himself. He watches the shore and tries to judge whether they couldn't go faster on foot.

Dustyme
2008-04-01, 02:50 PM
---Jaxal---

"Jaeur, I think going after the creature in charge is a good idea. I suggest we quietly scout them out, quickly though. We need to do two things, take out any spell casters and go straight for the leader of the group. We can always hunt the rest down later if we survive..."

((ooc: What time of day/night will we be arriving? Darkness or full light?))

"Shep, can you tell where we should go to find our targets? "

Jaxal pulls a few chicken bones out of his pouch and tosses them into the bottom of the boat.

"I see good fortune coming our way. However, I also see blood and pain."

Jaxal looks up quickly and worriedly at Mellavin:
"Caution is imperative do not tire yourself on the way to battle for you will need all of your strength. Oh, and remind me not to get stabbed."

With that Jax grabs up the bones and tosses them over the side of the boat.

"Once a bad omen strics the bones they are never the same."

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-01, 06:23 PM
----- Jomei -----
Yes we must hurry but our plan is still valid if they have the forces to take on a city they certainly can stop us in a head on assault. We still need to get information on what we face. Lets get as close as we can as quick as we can then scout out our rescue plan. Jomei puts his words to action and continues to row in the strong easy long strokes that he has found move the boat well with out being overly tiring. After a few minutes of rowing he says Maybe we should row to with in site of the city we are after all going up stream. If we get close maybe part of the force would peal off and give chase then we can attack them at range while floating with the current back to ship that should give the keep some relief while. But that puts all our eggs in one basket so to speak.

Darius
2008-04-02, 10:22 AM
Readying 23, mid-day (in the longboat)

The high sun overhead and the growling of your stomachs reminds you that now is a time for you to eat a meal as you discuss a plan of attack. The humanoid force must be considerable if they are assalting a fortress and causing the casualties implied by Kirke's hummingbird familiar. Shep speaks to the bird again to see if it knows the location of any command post. In a moment, the halfling responds, "It is hard to tell exactly what this means, but she told me that the pig-men are in the shade of the hills. They have nests on the hilltops. She said many of the pig-men where there."

You figure that at the rate you are going, that you will reach Big Rapids well before nightfall, but you know that this strange weather has extended the winter, so the sun still sets earlier than normal.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-03, 06:15 AM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei looks around at everyone after hearing the description,Sounds like an orc war tribe is besieging the fort we would be best served either pulling up short and waiting till night fall to pull up to the chain block after dark to make our way up to the castle or beaching the long boat on the far side from the castle and circling back around the hills to reach the town near dusk so that we can harras the tribe from the outside. But either way is dagerous as they have enough forces to besiege the keep. Kirke or Shep do you have any way of getting a short message back to the boat captain letting him know the Fort is besieged and to be wary of scouting parties? after speaking he continues to row upstream watching the banks for signs of scouting parties and signs of ambush

Spot [roll0] took the minus one as I assume even if it is overcast the reflection from the water is making it hard for Jomei to see

Margrave
2008-04-03, 07:46 AM
Shep Tookshire

The halfling druid says, "Alas, I do not, I am afraid. If we survive the night, I could, however. Speaking of survival...I think it may be best to take inventory of who is alive in Big Rapids, don't you? That way, if and when we send a messenger back to the Wavemistress, we can have better information to give them. That way, they can go back to Womtham and get help if needed." Shep pulls out several acorns - one for each of the party member. "If you wish to eat, each of these acorns will sate your appetites. Or, if in a dire situation, you could eat one, and the magic inside will heal a minor wound. I suppose it could be used to prevent another from bleeding to death."

Bender
2008-04-03, 08:29 AM
Mellavin

The dwarf looks very concerned.
"I think we should go to the aid of the villagers as fast as possible. If there are survivors, we must help them! And if we wait for the night, the orks will be at the advantage, since they can see better in the dark. Let's hope the metalskins can hold the fort a little bit longer."

Most adventurers can easily tell that Mellavin is not a tactical mastermind and is mostly concerned about the innocent...

GimliFett
2008-04-03, 08:40 AM
Jaeur Pershing

Jaeur nods at the dwarf's words. "You speak well, Mellavin. I agree if we're to strike at the command, it should be done in daylight. We can use the fog as cover until we can get closer, then move as quickly as possible. Have we any illusory or long-striking magics available?" the older man asks as he looks at each of his companions.

Bender
2008-04-03, 08:52 AM
Mellavin

In answer to Jaeur: "Illusions are not for me, sir, I've never liked fooling around with things like that."

a spot for the surroundings:
[roll0]

GimliFett
2008-04-03, 09:00 AM
Jaeur Pershing

Nodding once more, the marshal smiles. "Agreed. However, I was hoping we could create some sort of distraction away from where we will be attacking, if necessary."

Dustyme
2008-04-03, 12:48 PM
---Jaxal---

"I do not have a large variety of spells to use. As for images and such youi have already seen the limits of my powers. So unless you think something like a dancing dustman 3 inches tall will distract them and let me survive..."

"Now as for what we should do I truely think that we need to attack the leader and then run away fast. Maybe if we worked our way around the village opposite the castle that smoke will cover us." ((Which way is the wind taking the smoke? and how thick is it?)) "Also we should probably be ready to hit them just before dusk. I have been told Orcs and such can see very well in the dark however while the light is still limited but not full or gone we gain the advantage. If we go immediatly to the fort were the defenders and villagers are holed up all we do is add a few more defenders to the walls. If we use suprise, we can gain a lot of time and possibly drive the attackers away."

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-03, 01:49 PM
----- Jomei -----

Well it sounds like we are going to attempt to disrupt the camp from the outside. Being as we don't have communication if you don't mind cutting of the river as a means of retreat we can put a note in the longboat and let it float down stream back to the ship. If we push ourselves I think we can get to one of the valley's just before the town and work our way through the hills to the back of where I would expect the orc to place their camp. we would be getting there close to dusk so while I can see at night you are correct that as group we would not be as effective. Jomei looks over to Shep At this point I don't know if there is much we can do for the townsfolk individually, the best we can hope for is that the majority of them made it to the keep before they were fully besieged. The quicker we can break the seige and get the supplies to them the better for all.

Maryring
2008-04-05, 05:15 AM
"I can." Kirke silently says. "Create silent images and send short silent messages, should that be required."

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-05, 04:08 PM
----- Jomei -----

[color=green]Kirke glad to hear that depending on what we find up ahead we may need to have you provide information to the boat. Jaeur sounds like we are heading for the town we should probably head toward the bank then, from the position of the sun and smoke looks like we are getting close.[color]

Margrave
2008-04-05, 10:11 PM
Shep

Once spells start to get discussed, Shep adds, "I can protect our flank a bit - or at least slow any pursuit down by calling upon Obad-Hai to grab and entangle those that try to move against us. In addition, Best will be able to fly, so if you need me to get to the keep or to fly back to the ship, I will be able to do so with his help."

Dustyme
2008-04-05, 10:52 PM
---Jaxal---

"It sounds as though we have a good array of skills and spells at hand. Although, Shep I would like to mention that anything approaching the castle is likely to get filled with arrows if it is done wrong. A flying creature would probably be rather alarming to them."

Darius
2008-04-07, 08:17 AM
Readying 23, 3 hours past high sun

After several hours, the party approaches the carnage of the village near Big Rapids. Smoldering homes, piers and shacks are visible through the haze of smoke and fog caused by the heat difference. The temperature seems more bearable and must be above freezing.

The party scans the bank for enemies and friends alike, but sees none. It is nearly impossible to see much of anything with all of the smoke. However, a good place to land the longboat is found and the half-orc brings the boat to that bearing. Shep casts his spell on Best and insubstantial wings spring forth from the dog. Shep smiles and mounts up, takes one of the ropes attached to the bow of the boat, and commands the dog to take wing. It does and pulls the boat to a mooring place.

Carefully, all of the party gets ashore and the more muscular members bring the boat onto land where it won't float down stream. However, it is set up so that one good shove would put it back into water in the event of a hasty retreat. It could be carried by the lot, if need be, but it would not be enjoyable.

The party makes its way around the outskirts of the charred village. It is there they see a gruesome sight. All along the river bank are armored men - obviously soldiers from the keep. It would be a wonderful sight of having this many men in reserve, if not for their lifeless eyes as they are impaled in a standing position by pikes, spears, and calvalry lances. Many are pierced by black fletched orc arrows. Crows and other carrion birds caw at you, sensing your presence and believing you would come to steal your feast.

ooc: You are along near the river bank. The tower and chain is a shadow nearby. You know that the orcs are either in their tents or in the little valley in the shade nearby.

Dustyme
2008-04-07, 01:02 PM
---Jaxal---

Whispers:
"With this many fighting men gone it's a wonder the Keep can hold. Jomei, would you agree we should scout? I'm wondering if these raiders have taken slaves. If so mayhap we could free them to either assist us or a least flee to the Keep and relative safety. A few more defenders there may turn the tie of this battle. We must also get word back to the ship so they or another longboat can send for more soldiers to asist here."

((If Jomei agrees I will accompany him to scout the camp.))

"We should cover the boat a bit, or at least make it look like it is not functional in case the raiders pass by it while we are away. I wouldn't want to retreat here and find it busted and a host of orcs ready for us instead."

Bender
2008-04-08, 12:41 AM
Mellavin

Mellavin jogs towards the armoured men in greeting, a hand raised. When he sees what actually happened, he stops and gasps. Voiceless he breaths "By Ehlonna, this cruelty cannot be..."

He runs to one of the men, chasing away a crow that's picking from his eye. Holding the head straight, he says to the others "We must give these honourable a proper burial, but first we must see if we can find survivors in the village. Some of the villagers might be in hiding, or bleeding to death. Or stuck in a collapsed building..." tears sparkle in his eyes.

When Jaxal mentions the orcs, Mellavin holds up his sword and his eyes harden. "I could use some orcs right now to cool my blood. But go and scout, we'll do what's necessary here"

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-08, 06:21 AM
----- Jomei -----
Mellavin please calm yourself the more noise you make the more likely we are to share the fate of these defenders. For now leave them be we can give them proper respect once we have completed the charge. But do go and check the town stay to the smoke and haze to prevent yourself from being seen. As much as it sickens us the dead will have to remain and if you kick up to many of the crows the hoarde will know something is amiss. He moves over to Jaxal. Jaxal you are absolutely correct we need to find a way that our less stealthy members can follow to get us past the common foot soilders and closer to the leaders. If there are any prisoners that is where they will be held. But this terrain is not going to the be the easist to cross.

Bender
2008-04-08, 09:40 AM
Mellavin

The dwarf eases his grip on the hilt of his sword somewhat. "You are right, of course, excuse me my outburst" He sighs "Jomei, how is it possible that a fine man like you has such cruel ancestors?"

He looks around to the rest of the party "who will join me to search the village while Jomei and Jaxal scout?"

GimliFett
2008-04-08, 09:50 AM
Jaeur Pershing

"I am with you Mellavin. Best to leave the scouting to those not as...noisy as myself," Jaeur adds with a grin as he taps his shield to his armor.

He looks at Jaxal and Jomei and nods to the men. "I will need as much detail as possible in order to properly plan our attack. Even little things might be of use. Good luck, gentlemen," he says holding out his hand to the pair.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-08, 09:36 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei looks at Mellavin and say Ehlonna bless me. Mellavin if we make it out of this mess you must meet my parents they are the kindest folk you would care to meet sure any number of half orcs have terrible tells about there childhood and there parents but I grew up in a happy home. I was even apprenticed to a dwarf. If you go look many of the small towns hidden in vales and up mountains you will find most are founded by those like me shunned by those who hate us for our parents instead of what we do. He smiles at Mellavin and moves off still grinning and moves over to Jaeur. He shakes his hand firmly and say Be ready sometimes scouting does not go as intended do your best to figure a plan of both defense and escape. We will if be back with as much information as possible for you to figure out the best plan for us to rescue this situation. His grin fades to match the look in his eye and you can see that he is already preparing mentally for the grueling journey of exploration he sees ahead. As he walks over to Jaxal he checks his gear and makes sure that all the straps and buckles are as tight as possible to reduce noise. He then reaches down and with water from his skin makes a mud that he uses to begin camouflaging himself. He picks up some of the grasses and other plant life and pushing them through links in his dull grey armor begins to look more like a moving rock than a person. When he is down he waits for Jaxal to finish his preparation so they can move out .


Knowledge Nature to figure out best way to camoflage himself for the area
[roll0]
Not sure if this should be a disguise check or a hide check so rolling just a d20
Hide is plus +7 disguise is -2
[roll1]

Maryring
2008-04-09, 03:18 AM
Kirke whispers something to her companion and sends the bird off to keep watch over the scouts from afar. She herself turns to the upset dwarf. "I will help search."

Bender
2008-04-09, 06:20 AM
Mellavin

Smiling back at Jomei: "It warms my heart to hear that good can even reign in orks. Although I'm afraid those orks aren't the ones putting these brave men on spikes."
He waves the scouts goodbye
"good luck, and may Ehlonna guide you both."

Then he accompanies Kirke and Jaeur (and Shep, I suppose) to the burning village. "I hope we can find some survivors of this horror. Are we going to avoid drawing the attention of any orcs who might still remain in the village, or are we going to try draw the attention of possible survivors instead by calling out for them?"

Darius
2008-04-09, 10:19 AM
A plan is devised and the two scouts confer to the best methods of hiding in this open landscape. Since the livestock grazes in this area, there is no tall grass to conceal oneself. There are few trees as well - at least the trees are too far off to provide cover. It appears that the best bet would be to try and blend in and stay low. Weapons should be sheathed so no glint or reflection should the sun light hit it.

As this is done, the others begin their search of the village. Though nothing of value is found, the party is glad to have discovered that there appears to not be any charred bodies. The group can venture a guess that the soldiers had left the keep to cover the escape of the villagers. Looking across the river to the pier, many boats and other water craft are ashore or tied to the pier in the mass exit.

ooc: Let me know if there is anything you wish to do before I have the sneaky team head out.

Bender
2008-04-10, 04:54 AM
Mellavin

After looking and listening around some more to make sure, tension dissipates from Mellavins body and he sheets his sword. "Those men died a valuable and brave death indeed, and have earned a most honourable funeral when all this is over." he whispers to the others.

Just to make sure nobody got left behind, Mellavin calls out in a few whispered shouts at several locations in the village, making sure that the shouts only reach one or two buildings away. "Are there any survivors? We are here with good intentions."
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dustyme
2008-04-10, 12:59 PM
---Jaxal---

Before getting close to the encampment Jaxal works out a few hand signals with Jomei that he learned while theiving with other yougths on the street.

((Primarily: Danger, go on, # of enemies, trap, flee, distance, hold/wait, hide, attack, etc))

As for how to get there and what to cover himself in (grass, mud, etc) Jax leaves up to Jomie's guidance since he doesn't do the wind.

Mud and grass? Oh well this is his place to know...

Margrave
2008-04-10, 03:04 PM
Shep

Shep looks around with Best among the ruins, leaving his companion's nose to sniff out any survivors. Finding none, he returns to the two scouts who are in the midst of camoflaging themselves as best they can. He says, "I have always found that one can hide in plain sight. People often overlook me because I am a halfling even when I am standing right in front of them. Perhaps those soldiers can be of use to you? Since the orcs know that the the men propped up like that are dead and pose no threat, they are less likely to pay them much mind. You could sneak along that way and would be less likely to be spotted because of it."

Dustyme
2008-04-10, 03:35 PM
---Jaxal---

"Normally I would agree with you Shep, but the bodies are in direct line with the castle and even if not being actively watched movement would draw attention more quickly I'd think. Especially since any attacks from the castle would probably come from that directin as well. I'd suggest to Jomei that we circle around and come from an angle vs directly behind which they may suspect as well."

Darius
2008-04-11, 07:22 AM
ooc: Let me know which way you guys decide to go - with nothing to hide behind, you really will not have any Hide chance, so it will simply become a Spot check for LoS. It appears Shep may be onto something, for your characters could hide among the bodies to get past the orcs by using them as cover (since they are dead and are a picket line of sorts, I will count them as such instead of the no characters for cover rule).

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-11, 02:15 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei slides up to the top of the hill looking out over the valley and seeing nothing but open space not even the normal scrub brush because of the grazing normally done here his eyes fall to the broken and rough terrain along the waters edge and the row of fallen soldiers. He looks at Jaxal and says I do believe Shep is correct or best hope is to move along slowly in the broken ground between the line and shore. It will give us the best chance not to be noticed but we will have to move extremely slow I would guess if we start now we may be able to make the far hill by night fall. Any faster and we might as well go through the valley and hope not to be seen or be mistaken for a lump on the ground

Dustyme
2008-04-11, 08:45 PM
---Jaxal---

"Very well then, you two are the woodsman. I guess we could always jump into the river if they find us..."

Jax motions that he will follow Jomei along the way.

Darius
2008-04-14, 10:10 AM
The two scouts keep the hill and smoke between themselves and the mass of orc soldiers in the valley below as they head to the grotesque picket line on the edge of the river. Moving among the bodies staked by pikes and spears, Jaxal and Jomei do their best to not be seen.

ooc:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jomei has no difficulty using this terrain to conceal himself, but Jaxal cannot seem to bring himself close to the bodies for the stench and gruesome visages of these dead men. However, it appears as though the light of the day, the distance, and that the setting sun would be in the eyes of the orcs is in our pair's favor, for they are not spotted.

The two spy three tents - two smaller tents flank a larger one. The larger tent is guarded, with the opening flanked by two large orcs. A blood-red standard with three crossed bones behind a skull is visible. While the two waits, a patrol of two orcs circles the tents, and other patrols are seen walking about the encampment. As Jaxal and Jomei take inventory of the situation, they estimate that at least 50 orcs are in the camp and more must be in the tents and patrolling.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-14, 07:20 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei looks about taking in the details of the camp and the sever lack of cover between them and the command tents. He motions to Jaxal using one of the commands they worked out before hand {go back and report}

He then points at himself points at himself then using two fingers points at his eyes then motions at the camp and makes a circle in the air with the two fingers.

He pauses waiting looking at Jaxal to make sure he comprehended what he was trying to indicate

Dustyme
2008-04-14, 11:01 PM
---Jaxal---

Jax gives Jomei a thumbs up and repeat the instructions appropriatly (in sign). He then signs the question how long until Jomie gets back. Then heads back towards the others and passes on everything he saw and Jomeie's plan.

Bender
2008-04-15, 12:33 AM
Mellavin

After Jaxal explained the situation
"Oh, dear, that doesn't sound good, 50 of those orcs you say? Well done Jaxal. I hope Jomei is careful. What do you think we can do?"
The last question is directed to Jaeur, Kirke and Shep.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-15, 06:29 AM
----- Jomei -----

After seeing Jaxal's affermation he holds up 1 hand all five fingers spread then shrugs after watching Jaxal move back toward the group he lays down on his belly and then begins to crawl slowly along the grassy section of the valley inching his way across the floor paying close attention to animals and birds expecially the crows as they tend to act as an earily warning sign cawing and flapping their wings when something is disturbing them.

Darius
2008-04-15, 10:18 AM
Jomei begins his infiltration of the orc camp. He crawls along in the grass and keeps and eye and ear out for any signs of trouble.

ooc:
[roll0]
[roll1]

at hill

[roll2]
[roll3]

at tent
[roll4]
[roll5]

bic:

No alarm is raised as he uses his dagger to create a slit in the large tent and peers in. His darkvision reveals that this is a tent lavish for orc standards. Furs of all sorts are scattered about for sleeping. Chained around one ankle and scantily dressed female human slaves are busy cooking and preparing meals around a cook fire; Jomei follows their chain and sees they are connected to a ring around the center log-like pole of the tent. Also chained to that ring is a severly beaten man - his blonde hair is stuck to his face with the crackish maroon of drying blood. Multiple scars, bruises, and burns are visible on his bare chest. Unlike the women, his wrists are shackled and are high above him; it appears as though this is the only thing keeping him on his feet as he is slumped over and hanging by them. Jomei can make out some sort of crest upon his torn tabard that hangs from his waist when his armor and clothing were ripped off of him - it appears to be that Jomei recognizes from his service in Womtham of a high ranking officer. Then it hits him - this is the commander of the keep...this is Sir Laurel Boomgren.

Jomei then overhears an orc voice boom, but a hanging standard covers his view of their source; it says, "Summon Kreigore One-eye and the witch; prepare the men for battle!" A second orc voice replies, "By your command, Bloodtooth the Mighty," and an orc exits the tent.

Hearing the approach of the orc lieutenant, Jomei considers his options. He could lift up the tent's bottom and slide under into the tent, he could stay where he is and hope that the orc does not see him, or he could try and overpower the orc and hope an alarm is not raised. Of course he could try and appear to be part of the army, since he is a half-orc. However, this may be difficult to pull off - especially since he is eavesdropping in a place where no one should be.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-15, 11:59 AM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei quickly decides the interior of the tent is his the best option.
He roles under the edge of the tent and remains still hoping that the motion and slight breeze will not alert the occupents of the tent. He controls his breathing and waits to see what happens Readying himself to make a dash for freedom if necissary. If his entrance goes unnotice he will wait to gather more details and see if there is anyway to rescue the prisoners either by himself or with the help of his comarades back in the burnt out town.

Darius
2008-04-15, 02:33 PM
Instictively, Jomei springs into action and slips under the heavy tanned hides of the tent.

ooc:
[roll0]
[roll1]

ouch - a 1 and a 2 - at the worst time, too. Rolls for Listen and Spot are in ooc thread.

bic: Jomei hears the leader make a, "Hmm?" sound and can hear him stop what he was doing. The half-orc can tell and almost feel the presence of the massive shape looming over him. Just as Jomei is about to jump up and strike at the orc pre-emptively, the sounds of chains rustling and coughing are heard. The leader turns and heads back from whence he came.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-15, 03:15 PM
---- Jomei -----

At the close call Jomei calms his nerves and looks slowly around the tent seeing what if any reaction the prisoners inside have. He listens intently trying to tell what the groups outside are doing. If any of the slaves see him he holds up a single finger to his lips to try and keep them to remain calm and going about their tasks.

Darius
2008-04-16, 08:50 PM
The party in the smoke

Soon, your interest is piqued as a number of shouts can be heard as orders are given. Peering down into the vale from cover, all sorts of commotion has begun. Orc warriors are being mustered into battle groups by sergeants and the sound of orc drums begins to echo across the water. It appears as though the orcs are preparing for battle.

However, how do they plan on doing so? There is no way across the frigid waters and no boats are in sight? Orcs are tough, but they won't be able to survive the swim across the river before cramping and drowning. Not known for their intelligence, these orcs must have some trick up their sleeve...but what?


Lucca and Griff in the keep

It has been nearly two nights since the harrowed flight of the towns folk of Big Rapids. The two of you happened to stop to restock your supplies before heading to meet the call for arms against the Bone March. A silver an ear is the going price for orc ears, and since they are known to carry loot, it could be a profitable venture.

Just as you were about to bed for the knight at the Hilltop Inn, the throng of orc drums in the distance woke the townsfolk. They were close - too close for everyone to get into their boats and make it safely behind the confines of the keep's walls. Then the horns were met by the clarion call of the trumpet. Commanding voices rang into the night, "People of Big Rapids - into the barges! We shall cover your escape."

Your offer of assistance was dismissed, for the soldiers and their commanders did not know of your talents. Instead you were ushered into the boats by the tide of scared commoners. As the barges were set off, the two forces clashed with a thunderous roar. The battle lasted through the night and was visible by the fires that erupted all over the village.

Only a small force remains inside the keep. There are two trebuchets and two ballistae in the keep, but only twenty soldiers. The soldiers are quite green save for Sgt. Riddox Vambrace and Lt. Cedric Longfellow. These two were left to lead the barges back with the towns folk. They were not prepared for what happened - namely being the only officers alive.

This skeleton crew is just that - their belts tightened until no more knotches can be added, it is plain that these men have seen better days. The people of Big Rapids are in similar straights. Although proud, this winter has been tough on all; not as difficult as those men who sacrificed their lives to insure these people's safety - however, their efforts appear to have been in vain, for the drums have begun again.

Jomei in tent

No indication from the slaves nor Boomgren have given away your position. Soon commotion is heard and a number of orcs have entered the tent. Choosing to stay behind the tapestry and out of everyone's sight, Jomei remains where he is.

"Kreigore One-eye is ready for your command, Bloodtooth the Mighty." Bloodtooth responds, "Good, Kreigore. That witch is late - again. If I did not need her for this assault, she would become my next meal." A crone-like voice cackles, "And you would choke on me, Bloodtooth," followed by "Choke on me - choke on me - braa-aak!"

After a snarl from Bloodtooth, he continues, "Kreigore - are you ready with your precious word pelts?"

The voice of Kreigore responds, "By Gruumsh's will, Yaga Crowbeak and I were able to scribe enough scrolls to enchant enough units for the assault. Gruumsh has seen fit to grace me with the remaining spells needed."

"Very well. Witch - what of the keep's defenses? We will have no cover as we cross the water."

The crone responds, "They will not see me as I fly over the catapults. Fire shall rain down upon them as it did this town. This shall be enough of a diversion for your soldiers to cross and delve below the keep." The squawk, "Fire shall rain. Braaak!"

"Good. I shall address the troops. Come with me."

Jomei hears the trio leave. He considers his next move.

Maryring
2008-04-17, 04:36 AM
The wizardess slowly surveys the valley and gathering orcs below her, before she turns to the others. "A rockslide should have the appropriate amount of force needed to decimate them."

Bender
2008-04-17, 06:23 AM
Mellavin

Mellavin's face turns grim when he sees the orcs assemble in the valley. He tries to spot anything unusual that could hint at their tactics.[roll0]
Then he replies to Kirke: "That's a great idea Kirke! So, how do we start a rockslide? I can certainly strengthen myself and some others and try to move some rocks around. Jomei would be a great help too, I hope they didn't catch him" He squints his eyes to see any sign of a prisoner, and looks around for big unstable rocks that could potentially cause a rockslide.
[roll1]
What would be an appropriate roll for finding a rockslide?
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Darius
2008-04-17, 11:05 AM
The party at the hill

Mellavin looks for any signs of Jomei's capture. Nothing seems to be amiss, for he cannot find him and no alarms have been raised. Looking at the groups of orcs amassing, the dwarf cannot discern any tactical information. Jaeur, on the other hand, recognizes battle groups of six being mustered together. It appears as though they are going to be making small strike teams that could fit in canoes - however, there are no canoes or craft of any kind.

Mellavin looks around for rock faces to drop on the forces, and he cannot find any that would work here. However, if the orcs were to go along the banks on either side of the river here, rocks could be thrown down or dislodged.

ooc: The river cuts through the Flinty Hills, so the stone banks are higher up (and exposed). This is akin to Ireland or the highlands of Scotland. If anyone wanted to put in a boat, one would need to use the docks area where you came from.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-17, 12:47 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei waits till he is sure the tent is empty of Orcs once he is confident he moves quietly across to Sir Laurel Boomgren. In a hushed tone he speaks

Sir Boomgren we have been sent to deliver supplies but that will have to wait till we get you out of this mess. Do you feel up to making a break for it or should I go back to my team and attempt to rescue you all after we break up this current attack?

All the while Jomei looks about to see if Sir Boomgren’s equipment is about and if he can spot the keys to release the chains of the prisoners. In the back of his mind he keeps thinking must take out the spell caster the witch is the key.

Darius
2008-04-17, 02:08 PM
In the tent

The slave girls move to the entrance and keep an eye out for approaching danger. Boomgren's eyes snap open, and he looks about for Jomei. He replies, "If you can get me my holy symbol, I will be able to heal myself enough to get out of here. Heironeous has seen it fit to keep me alive to be plagued by the guilt of my ineptitude. It is over there..." He motions with his head in the direction of a pile of treasure heaped in the corner.

Boomgren struggles against the chains, but to no avail. "I have not the strength to free myself. I'll have you know that I will not leave without taking these good people; if not for them, I would have died. I shall not leave them here. We don't have time to free all of us, but you must get word to the keep. Lt. Cedric Longfellow must know that the orcs plan on using a diversion to let a number of forces into the keep through the secret exit beneath it. If he is not ready for that, they will be suprised and all will be lost. Take my tabard and get word to them right away. They will be attacking once it is dark."

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-17, 02:57 PM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei quickly grab his tabard and holy symbol he tucks the tabard into his backpack
He slip the holy symbol into the back of the waistline of Sir Boomgren's pants he then says
I will do my best to get the word to Lt Longfellow
I also have a potion of strength I will give it to one of the other slaves if you see your oppertunity this may assist you in breaking free

He then approaches the front entrance of the tent and looks out past the slave guard to get a feel for the camp He hands her the potion of bull's strength this is a potion of strength if you see the oppertunity to escape use this on the strongest person here they then may be able to break the chain links or the pole so you can escape as a group. But becareful there is not alot of cover out there

He then after getting a good look heads back out the tent and works his way as quickly as possible with making any noise out the circle of tents once he is out near where troops would be he switches from stealth to overbearing confidence he begins marching toward the burnt out farm on the top of the far hill. if he his stopped he will snarl out of the way fool I am Bloodtooth the Mighty's personal scout he has sent me to check on some information they beat out of that pitful excuse of a knight.

Darius
2008-04-18, 07:39 AM
Jomei's Scouting

"May Heironeous be your guide," Boomgren responds. The slave girl grips Jomei's hand and gives it a squeeze and says, "Thank you." She looks out the flap for a few moments and says, "Go, now."

Jomei hustles out and away from the tent as quickly as stealth would allow to not be spotted.

ooc:
[roll0]
[roll1]

ic: He easily manages to stay out of sight of the guards and then begins walking back towards the burnt village on the hilltop.

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-18, 10:38 AM
----- Jomei -----

Jomei walks with determination and glint of danger in his eye. He uses a trick he picked up working with other military forces look like you know what you are doing and are doing what you are told and and no one will question your authority.
Once Jomei clears the camp and is up the hill near the burnt out farm he walks behind the building and begins looking for his comrades. Once he spots them he takes the time to ensure his ruse worked and that no one followed him.

He then moves to join them he quickly explains what he saw and heard in the tents. Once he has everyone caught up he states

Now is when we have to get the communications out. Kirke can you send a silent image showing Boomgren captured and orcs sneaking into the castle.
If possible send this both to the boat and to people inside the fort

He pulls out the tunic and looks at Shep can you fly across to the keep with out being spotted and warn them that the witch is going to be raining fire down on them and to prepare for a suprise attack from the secrect entrance to the fort. Boomgren said to give this tunic to Lt Cedric Longfellow as proof of what you are telling them. Finally we have to take out the Cleric and the Witch if we can stop the magic we can stop this attempt at taking the fort the bigger the distraction the more likely the prisoners in the tent will have to make there escape

Margrave
2008-04-18, 02:54 PM
Shep (and Best)

Glad to see Jomei returning in one piece, Shep listens to what Jomei had discovered. "Your bravery is without match, Jomei. I am honored to be in your company." When the idea is told to project an image, Shep questions, "I know little of magic or that of illusions, but even if Kirke could cast a spell all the way to the keep - I have no idea of what Boomgren even looks like. I think you are the only one who has seen him. What I can do is warn the keep and tell them that Boomgren has been captured. Lt. Cedric Longfellow, right? I will return after I do so."

Taking the uniform and mounting Best, Shep will fly back and then around to the back side of the Keep. He will shout down while waving the tabard, "I have news from Boomgren for Lt. Cedric Longfellow - do not attack!"

If he is attacked, Shep will not retaliate but will have Best evade as best they can (Tumble Actions?). Once inside, he will relate the message given about the rain of fire to allow for the orcs to get into the secret entrance.

Dustyme
2008-04-18, 07:32 PM
---Jaxal---

"How big of an illusion could you make? I wonder. If you could make a bridge apear from the cliffside over the water that stopped on the ramparts maybe some of them would try running across it before they realized it was a fake."

Maryring
2008-04-19, 05:50 AM
"Maximum radius from point of origin to illusion is set to 520 feet. Maximum volume set to orb of 17.5 feet radius, or approximately 22438 cubic feet. Shep is correct in that I have no visual image of the individual in question, thus no base to craft the illusion from. I can not craft sound to the illusion, and it would take me 15 minutes of preparation to craft more than one illusion." Kirke states matter-of-factly. "My magical abilities hold little offense. My current spells work better to hinder."

Bender
2008-04-20, 04:15 AM
Mellavin

After extensively complimenting Jomei and wishing Shep the best of luck, Mellavin again brings up the rockslide thing:
"So how about we rocks above the river banks, and try to follow Kirke's suggestion and do as much damage as we could? We could perhaps hide between the rocks and we've got some muscle together to get quite some rocks raining down on them."

Darius
2008-04-21, 08:40 AM
The party plans as the sun hangs low on the horizon. Time is precious as word is the attack will come at darkness. Shep recites the message to give in his head as he leads Best to bound into the air and flap his insubstantial wings. The collie gains altitude and soars around the south and west side of the keep.

No guards watch this side as they are manning the walls and war machines preparing for an attack from the east. There are many people in the courtyard below - filling buckets of water and arming themselves with whatever they can find. Although they are obviously not soldiers, they know that their lives are at stake.

Shep yells down and waves his tabard flag. People are startled and run about but a shout to calm the people brings them to their senses. A man in full plate waves Shep to land Best near him at the parapets. The dog deftly complies to Shep's guidance.

"I am Lt. Longfellow," the man replies. He takes the tabard and balls it into his fist, "Boomgren is alive?" he asks. He listens intently to the news; Longfellow's face darkens. "We will not survive if they breach through the catacombs and cause a panic - let alone destroy but one of our catapults. I cannot spare the men nor do I trust the towns folk to guard the entrance. How many of your band are there, and can we count on you to guard the entrance to the catacombs?"

Maryring
2008-04-21, 11:12 AM
Kirke nods her head in agreement to Mellavin. "If it should be neccessary, I can conjure up liquid grease to reduce friction and thus aid with moving the rocks." She turns to the others. "I must inquire the thoughts of you as well. Our time is rapidly diminishing, so efficiency is needed."

Margrave
2008-04-21, 02:04 PM
Shep (and Best)

"There are several among my party, but I cannot speak for what they wish to do. I am a druid, so you can count on me, Shep Tookshire and my faithful friend here, to help you. Although I think my talents may be more useful against that witch Jomei was talking about - the one that is going to get fiery rain to fall upon your catapults. But I am getting ahead of myself. The party I am a part of consists of the veteran soldier, Jaeur; the half-orc guide and ranger, Jomei...he's the one who should be getting a medal for bravery in my opinion, for he snuck into camp and found all this business out; there's the scary sorcerer Jaxal; the dwarf, Mellavin the Mighty; and Kirke - wizardess of the hummingbird. There is one problem, however - I am unsure if Best can carry each of us across, so we may need to take our longboat and land it at yonder docks - that is unless you have a better idea? If not - shall make my leave to return to them so that I may present your wishes and situation, I will return shortly at any rate - with or without my comrades."

Shep will direct Best to leave the same way he came and fly back into the cover of the smoke and return to the party. He will tell them, "I met with Lt. Longfellow. It appears as though the people are preparing themselves for the upcoming fight, but I wouldn't put too much stake in their help, for they seemed more like commoners to me than anything else. However, Longfellow told me that if the orcs got through the secret passages and broke through that entrance, the keep would be quickly overrun. Plus, he said that losing even one catapult could be catastrophic to the defenses."

Shep then looks at each of the party and says, "I didn't pledge any of your services to help, but I gave Longfellow mine and Best's. I plan on flying back to help at the keep - I especially think we need to take that witch out before she can do her damage. She must have some way to fly over, I would guess. It may be to our advantage for me to intercept her before she gets to the keep. I think Best can ferry each of you across after I enhance his strength - that is if you don't mind being grabbed by the scruff of your collars."

"At any rate, I think our chances would be better in the keep - Kirke's illusions would be more plausible. In fact, she could make some of more guards or a catapult. Plus, Jaeur could lend a hand with his experience. If that many experienced soldiers lost their lives in the open, I doubt we would fare much better."

Darius
2008-04-21, 07:52 PM
Kirke does some quick calculations, and she figures that Best with increased strength could carry any of the party across. However, each ferry trip will take approximately 10 minutes round trip, so getting the entire party across will take an hour. After an hour's time from now, Shep calculates that the sun will be down and darkness will be within the next hour. If the party plans on going across, now is the best time.

Dustyme
2008-04-21, 10:24 PM
---Jaxal---

"I suggest we pull oar and get to the other side. Shep I suggest you save the spell untill later it'll probably be more usefull then. Although I doo agree with the rest whole heartedly. Maybe you should find out more bout the catacombs shep. If the guards have a map or can tell us f it is trapped would be good. Maybe we could even pull down part of the roof on them and bury a prtion of the invaders."

Bender
2008-04-22, 12:25 AM
Mellavin

"So we're not throwing rocks, then. Well, a dwarf feels most at home underground... I guess."
To Jaxal "I don't mind going by boat, if that will get us there in time. But now is not the time to be sticky on spells, I've got two scrolls here that can make you stronger. And we've got these potions from the commander."

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-22, 04:50 AM
Jomei listens intently to all the plans and then looks out over the landscape.

This is not a battle we can win with hit and run tactics. Given time and days to work with we could disrupt this camp kill officers and otherwise send them to meet their Gods but with less than an hour till sunset we best get moving. Shep we should start ferrying people as quickly as possible I would start with our casters and healers. I will go last. Some one write up an explination of the situation put it in the long boat and release it down the river. Tell the Captian to wait 3 days if we have not contacted him in that time. He needs to return to the city and report tell him to be on the look out for Orc Raiders.

With that Jomei moves back up the hill where he can keep a close eye on the troops he is specificly looking for any activity that shows the Orcs have spotted the part crossing the river or for either of the spell casters moving about.

Darius
2008-04-22, 12:30 PM
ooc: I am confused - which plan do you want to go by? Jaxal's (boat across to save spells) or Jomei's (Shep ferries and send word to Wavemistress via longboat)?

Also...Jaeur? Hello?

LatemYvaeh
2008-04-22, 01:28 PM
OOC maybe both I was hoping Jaeur our knight type person would put in a word for plan a plan b or improved plan c but if he doesn't
I will vote against using the boat with Orcs massing at the river bank I would think we would be spotted and sunk

Maryring
2008-04-22, 02:40 PM
"If my perception of the situation is correct, it would be prudent to imperil the passage that these creatures hope to use. I can work on that, but I will need to get there quickly. A boat will not move swiftly enough, and will be quite risky a strategy as well."

GimliFett
2008-04-22, 02:42 PM
Jaeur Pershing

The marshal purses his lips as he strokes his bearded chin. "As much as I do not relish such travel, I think it better if we are ferried across one by one. The boat leaves us too open to attack and losing everything in one go, I'm afraid."

Dustyme
2008-04-22, 03:26 PM
---Jaxal---

"We don't like it but I will allow myself to be carried over the water. I do think it is a good idea to warn the ship if possible but consider that there is a strong likelyhood of the longboat getting stuck on something or passing the ship in the dark. If we could get it across we could put a few noncombatants in it to bring word to the ship as well."

"We could always row it a bit down river and send them to the boat. Maybe they already have something to use in the keep though..."

"We should also find out if there are any stores of oil or alchemist fire in the keep. If we have to fall back and fire the tunnel if might be enough for us to recover a bit before a 2nd battle or beat off the main attack. Even wood or straw that smokes the tunnels might make it harder for them. I will help in the tunnels I think. I cannot fly and unless the witch gets close my spells won't reach her. At least in the tunnel I can cast spells to penetrate armor." Also I wonder if the witch and the shaman have spells to protect the orcs from the cold water. If so maybe they will use the chain to swim across. If we can release the chain after only a few cross many still in the water may wash away and drowned. Then the few who enter the tunnel will have it ever harder to attack.