PDA

View Full Version : Sliders



Karaswanton
2008-02-14, 08:11 AM
Enclosed within the valleys of the Serpencoil mountains lies a town, Duvik’s Pass. Over the last few years the town has become an economic center for the area, but lately they've been having some...problems.


Just outside the town, maybe an hour's walk or so, a hole opens in the world, about nine feet above the ground. The hole in reality is an unstable portal to the Nethervoid, the space behind planes (as opposed to the Astral Plane, which is the plane between planes). Out of the dark, swirling hole come four adventurers.

Ok, everyone make me a DC 10 fort save. If you fail, you are sick to your stomach for one hour.

Valdin
2008-02-14, 08:37 AM
fort save [roll0]


Valdin has two superficial sword wounds. Her dagger is drawn an bloody. She looks around wildly and starts screaming, "no, no, no, NO! That bitch!"

Damage Control
2008-02-14, 10:09 AM
Glenn

[roll0]

A man comes tumbling out of the hole, making a few ugly clank noises as his armor smacks the ground. He lands on his back, and tries to roll over to get himself up, looking a lot like a blond turtle. He eventually succeeds on rising to his feet, sputtering curses and wiping dirt off various parts of his armor.

journeyman
2008-02-14, 06:33 PM
Stephen1d20+2
:smallannoyed: How do I make this thing work?

A slight young man in clean, if simple, vestements hits the ground with a jangle, betraying his possesion of a chainshirt. Though he also has a light crossbow on his belt and pack on his back, the way he blinks in the sunshine gives the distinct impression he was inside before being dropped unceremoniously on his rear. He surveys his new suroundings with an odd mix of interest and resignation, gives a sigh, and can be heard to mutter "By the gods of earth, sky, sea, and flame; what did I do this time!?" He stands, dusts himself off, and edges away from the screaming woman. God works in mysterious ways, but this is a bit much, even for me.

Fishy
2008-02-15, 02:25 AM
Enoch
[roll0]

A tall man with sun-darkened skin comes tumbling out of the hole next, narrowly missing the other adventurers but managing to land flat on his face. He pushes himself a little ways out of the dirt, mutters "Didn't expect th- Rrghn!" and rolls onto his back, clutching at his stomach.

Karaswanton
2008-02-15, 11:19 AM
Everyone failed the Fort Save except for the Paladin. I guess he sits around while everyone else retches.

Journeyman:The fort save is basically just flavor text, so I figured I'd just say you failed it to keep the game going. For future reference, you don't capitalize the word "roll," and more importantly, I think I saw some spaces in there. To roll you just do {roll}1d20+3{/roll}, but with [] instead of {}. Try a few practice rolls on the OOC.

Once everyone is done retching, you notice you have fallen near a country road. It's not actually so much a road as it is a heavily beaten path. Anyway, a few hundred feet down the road you see a band of refugees. They are wrapped up, and followed by mule-driven carts filled with all their earthly posessions. They will be very near to you soon.

Damage Control
2008-02-15, 06:17 PM
Glenn

Glenn stands transfixed, the confusion of an hour of three people retching adding insult to the injury of being sent off to wherever the hell this is; he notices the pack of travelers on their way, and despite not knowing his companions, he tries to rouse them so they won't scare away the refugees. "Um. Wake up? Anyone?"

journeyman
2008-02-16, 01:32 AM
Stephen

"Ugh...I'm...well, I don't know what that was or how it happened, but the side effects...nevermind." He washes his mouth out with a quick drink from the waterskin on his belt and looks down the path to the refugees. I am somewhat disinclined to think we are here by chance, but I'm uncertain exactly where "here" is. I would suggest however, that we stay together until we know why we're here. To that end, introductions are in order. I am Stephen Venthir, a scribe, scholar and sometimes healer. On the word "healer" he glances at Valdin's wounds, but keeps his distance for the moment.

Trying to get a feel (hunch) for what kind of people my new companions are.
Sense Motive [roll0] on Glenn
Sense Motive [roll1] on Enoch
Sense Motive [roll2] on Valdin

Also, Heal check to determine how minor Valdin's wounds are. [roll3]

Damage Control
2008-02-16, 02:20 AM
Glenn
"...Er, hi. I'm Glenn. I'm... an activist," he says with an upraised eyebrow, unsure if these people will even know what that is. He's obviously realized by now that he's not in Kansas anymore, but the weird factor has yet to subside.

journeyman
2008-02-16, 02:48 AM
Stephen

What an odd accent, I wonder if common is not his first tongue? An archivist? Well met, Glenn. I would not have taken you for such, but as they say, "A strong arm does not mean a weak mind." Where is your home library? He seems genuinely interested, the indignity of the past hour already forgotten.

Fishy
2008-02-16, 03:14 AM
Enoch

Enoch's stomach churns, but fortunately he hasn't eaten anything this month. Dry heaves are unpleasant, though. He rises to his feet, somewhat unsteadily, and gives his fellow travelers a word and a nod. "Enoch. Wanderer," he explains, before turning his eye to the horizon.

Survival check: [roll0] What kind of environment are we in? Any of these plants look familiar to the flora of Enoch's home plane? Any of them look edible? Does one of them happen to be a cure for stomachache? :P

Valdin
2008-02-16, 03:41 AM
Aside from the first outburst, Valdin spends the hour in meditation, trying to regain control over her body. As the nausea fades, she tunes back in and catches the conversation. "I'm not even sure who I am anymore, but you might as well go on calling me Valdin" Pausing a second to manifest a power, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/knowDirectionandLocation.htm) Valdin then glancing at the refugees. Valdin fills the group in on the info from the intro. "Perhaps this ragged band of travelers know something of the road ahad.

journeyman
2008-02-16, 10:28 AM
Stephen

Stephen's attention is drawn by Valdin's odd statement. I am curious indeed as to how you can know this place and yet not know who you are, but it can wait for another time. I think it best if we keep quiet about our odd means of arrival. The common folk are rightly suspicious of greater magics, if they would even believe us. It would seem we are bound for Duvik's Pass, let us say no more than that.

OOC: What time of day is it?

Karaswanton
2008-02-16, 12:11 PM
Stephen only:

They don't appear to be lying about what they've told you.
Glenn has an honest face, despite his confusion.
Enoch seems to have some outdoorsy training.
Valdin is a bitch, or at least, is very bitchy at the moment.

Valdin's "surface wounds" are not serious, and do not need to be treated. Not even non-lethal damage.
It appears to be early afternoonish. The two red suns make it hard to tell, but it looks to be around one o'clock.


Enoch only:

The terrain is mountainous. The trees and such are mostly conifers, with a few deciduous trees thrown in for good measure.
You find a small bush with berries, enough for a few mouthfuls for yourself--enough for you to last the day, or enough for everyone to have a mouthful. Whether you share or not depends on if you can get away with it.
The bush doesn't look very healthy.

Many of the plants in the area appear blighted, and you don't see any animals.

You don't see anything that would "cure" a stomachache, but you can feel the pangs lessening.



The small caravan consists of twelve to fourteen adults, and a few children. A withered old man with a walking stick leads the sad procession. He is tall and lean, with a ragged white beard that comes down to his waist. He is the healthiest looking of the bunch, everyone else is wrapped up, and some have visible sores. One of the worst cases is a small bundle wrapped up in the wagon, perhaps a toddler.

About forty feet away from you, the old man stops the procession with a gesture. He then walks a few paces in front of the group, and stands with his legs spread out in a fighting stance. He raises the walking staff--an impressive rod, it appears to be made out of oak--up to the ready. His fierce blue eyes scan the area with the cunning and ferocity of a wizened and aged wolf. He calls out, in a voice that waivers, lacking the strength it once had.

Who goes there? Are you friends or foe?

Valdin
2008-02-16, 12:52 PM
Valdin

Lets assume Valdin has cleaned and put away her knife at some point long before this. We are not friends, surely. But if you can stop waving that stick at us, we don't have to be foes either. We are travelers, on our way from one place to another and we seek nothing from you but information on local conditions. Specifically I am looking for an inn with a hot bath and a strong ale, but if you know what blights these plants I am usually interested in expanding my knowledge.

Damage Control
2008-02-16, 01:26 PM
Glenn
"Archivist? Um, no. Activist. I... try to make the world a better place to live, to put it simply," he explains, though he's not quite sure what world this is. He throws waves to Valdin and Enoch, but is a bit scared by the appearance of the refugees. "What happened to you people?"

journeyman
2008-02-16, 01:33 PM
Stephen

So, the least personable of us spoke first, just great. Still, she put it well and her curiousity speaks well for her. Still, there is something about her that just isn't quite right...oh well, this too can wait, those people look like they need help. I'll need to get a closer look at those sores. Besides, I dislike conversing at a distance. Stephen holds his empty hands out to his sides in what he hopes is a non-threatening manner and walks forward slowly as he speaks.

I am Stephen Venthir, and speaking of local conditions, I would know what ails your group. Has some plague fallen on these lands? You look to have been forced from your homes.

Only combat takes the fit, while leaving the young and old to flee. It is not disease alone that is killing these people. I'm almost sorry I skipped so many training sessions these last few years. At least I have my weapons and armor with me, skilled or not, we must look fairly dangerous to these poor souls. Perhaps Glenn can put them at ease, he seems the type.

Two suns? Where am I?
Knowledge (Planes) [roll0]
Lore [roll1]

Karaswanton
2008-02-16, 04:21 PM
Valdin

Lets assume Valdin has cleaned and put away her knife at some point long before this. We are not friends, surely. But if you can stop waving that stick at us, we don't have to be foes either. We are travelers, on our way from one place to another and we seek nothing from you but information on local conditions. Specifically I am looking for an inn with a hot bath and a strong ale, but if you know what blights these plants I am usually interested in expanding my knowledge.

The old man puts his staff in a less aggressive position, although he does not put it away. He coughs briefly, a ragged wheezing cough, and then he begins:

I think your attitude could use an adjustment, stranger. I was only being cautious, there's kobolds and worse in the area.

In any case, if you're looking for a hot bath and a strong ale you're in the wrong place. The only thing they have in stock back in Duvick's Pass is pain and suffering, and they have that aplenty. The plants are affected by the Burning Plague--the same plague which is blighting our good people.

He coughs again, this time it is worse, and he coughs into his sleeve. He just coughs for about a minute.

Although, you bunch look new to the area..and you look ready for adventure. Perhaps you could find out what poisoning everything. Everyone's been hit by the Burning Fever. I don't know how the plants got the same disease, but they did. I think it might be some kind of supernatural blight. Probably those thrice-damned kobolds.

When he says "thrice-damned" a young girl admonishes him for cursing in front of strangers. As a response, the old man rolls his eyes.

Stephen:

Outcome is foggy.
You don't really know, other than that the area has the same properties as the Prime Material Plane. It stands to reason you are on the Prime Material Plane, but on a different plane, or perhaps on a different Material Plane.

journeyman
2008-02-16, 06:39 PM
Stephen

My healing skills are mostly theoretical. I can barely handle an outbreak of colds, much less a supernatural plague. :smalleek: Still, I'm here and I don't see any other other reason to explain it. If the kobolds did this, they may have a cure. I'm obligated to help these people, but I can't do it alone. Glenn said he tries to make the world better and he seems trustworthy. Valdin's a bitch, but she's clever and her speach shows education and arrogance in equal measure. Most likely she is a mage of some sort. Perhaps curiousity in this supernatural affliction will be enough to make her want to help. I don't have a good read on Enoch. He undoubtably could survive alone, but I don't think he can refuse when he's so clearly needed. I'll just have to trust Glenn to talk the others into it. Now, I need to learn what I can here.

OOC: It will take forever to roleplay out each Q&A, so I'll just list my questions and leave it to you to determine when and who I ask.

Heal check to learn what I can about the burning plague (When did it start, incubation period, transmission method, ect. [roll0]

Stephen tries to get more info about the area and kobolds as well.

Damage Control
2008-02-16, 07:35 PM
Glenn
His initial reaction upon learning they are sick is to back up, but camera training keeps him close enough to give off a friendly impression. "If this burning thing is bad enough to affect the plants, that's probably what I was sent here to do." Something in his mind moves his fingers subtly, and he finds himself whispering his first language, "Montrez-moi les mals du monde..."

Using detect evil on the people/plants to find out if the disease itself is evil. You never know, right? "Show me the evils of the world."

Karaswanton
2008-02-16, 08:12 PM
OOC to Stephen:
That technically would be a Gather Information check, not a Heal check. However, just asking the old man, and appearing friendly gives you this result:

The old man coughs briefly, and then answers Stephen's questions:

The Burning Plague is a contagious disease spread by contact. Usually it's rats or vermin that spread it, but we don't have a rodent problem in this area. Something else is going on I think, possibly some sort of dark sorcery.

It usually needs multiple exposures before causing serious harm. The symptoms include fever, searing muscular pains, clenching of the throat and possible choking, fatigue and potentially death.

Did I say DuVick's pass is a mining town? The mine is full of rich mineral wealth, but we think it is also the source of the blight. God's curse those respons..*cough* responsi*hack* at fault. It has to be those damned kobolds. The took the mine from us awhile back. Some of the people back at the town are still waiting for their menfolk to get back from the mines. Some of the kobolds have come down with the sickness as well--serves them right!


DC: Um, the adventure module should have addressed that. It doesn't. I'm going to go with a "yes."

Fishy
2008-02-16, 09:22 PM
Enoch

Enoch finished his inspection of the local wildlife, coming away from one particular bush with a handful of berries- which he inspects curiously, but does not eat. They seem to occupy most of his attention as the old man speaks- until he thinks to ask: "Without the town, do you know where you are going?"

Damage Control
2008-02-16, 09:42 PM
Glenn
"The disease itself is evil, so it's not just some freak plague. Do you want to check out the mines?" he asks his companions. If the kobolds are getting it too, that must mean they aren't at fault, but that's probably not something the old man wants to hear.

journeyman
2008-02-16, 10:49 PM
Stephen

I'll go. Stephen says with a conviction his voice usually lacks.

Glenn senses evil? I saw no spell. It seems I'm blessed to have the company of a member of some holy order. Usually such are proud warriors, his humility does him great credit. If the kobolds are catching ill though, they are unlikely to have a cure. The plague must have come from something else. Perhaps the kobolds dug too deep and released something from the depths. Regardless, it seems in everyone's best interest to move along quickly. Water won't be a problem, but I have no food...oh well, it wouldn't sit easy until I've done all I can anyway.

Valdin
2008-02-17, 12:20 AM
Valdin glances his companions over with renewed interest as they display their various skills. This of course, is a terrible idea. However, I recognize the chances of us showing up here together randomly are near zero. So someone is playing games with us. I am no ones pawn. But for now, we should play along with the game and find out the rules, so we can break them.

Damage Control
2008-02-17, 01:05 AM
Glenn
"Oh, I know someone is playing games with me. But he means well. I think," he says, a genuine note of uncertainty in his voice. "We'll be glad to have you along."

Karaswanton
2008-02-17, 06:24 PM
The old man seems confused about the talk of your being "played with," but he gives you directions to the mine. The path you are on leads west to town, there is a road leading from town to the mine, which goes north.


I'm sure the townsfolk would apprectiate any helo you could give. As for myself and my family, we've seen enough--we want out.

It seems like one or two of you question the point of helping out strangers in a tight spot. You might want to talk to Mayor Sendars, or perhaps Stefan Doverspeak, the chief mercant, about the possiblity of compensation.

You might want to talk to Stefan first, he seems to have some influence on the mayor..and he's a businessman.

Of course, I can't guarantee they will offer compensation, but those would be the men you'd want to talk to.

Fishy
2008-02-18, 09:34 AM
Enoch

Enoch turns and looks to the north, idly scanning the terrain. "I think I would like to see these mines," he says after a moment, "And it would save us the trouble of explaining... things."

journeyman
2008-02-18, 09:57 AM
Stephen

If the others move on toward the town immediately, Stephen quietly drifts to the rear of the marching order and keeps his crossbow handy. He might not be able to avoid dying, but he'd at least like to get it done before he gets cold or hungry. He's willing to stop for a quick visit to the mayor or merchant first, but he'll argue against talking to both as "a waste of valuable time".

If the others look like they'll be a while, he investigates that bundle that might be a toddler. He doesn't have the time, skill, or supplies to do much for all these people, but given a chance he'll do what he can for the children.

Valdin
2008-02-19, 12:09 AM
We should talk to either the mayor, the merchant, or both if the first we visit proves worthless. Though they are obviously ignorant if they think the kobolds are responsible when the kobolds are sick as well, they may know some clue that stronger minds might make better use of.

Karaswanton
2008-02-19, 09:14 PM
The hirsute ancient gives you directions to the merchant's place of residence, and the town hall.
He then makes a motion for the caravan to move.

Upon seeing Stefan, he talks to him quietly.
His fierce eyes swell with tears.

That were my grandson. Dunt worry yore head any 'bout 'im. 'e's beyond all cares now. I was going to bury 'im back in town, but 'is mother insisted on buryin' him wherever we end up so she can visit 'im. I din't think it were a good idea--but I didn't have the heart to make 'er leave 'im, the two of us already had to bury my boy. I couldn't make her bury hers and never see ''is grave again. She's too young fer that.

for a brief moment the tears stop, and his eyes darken, hearkening back to the fights of his youth. His voice loses the wavery quality you've grown accustomed to, and briefly he is a bastion of strength, a withered oak of a man that refuses to back down.

You find out whoever did this to us simple country folk, and you send 'im ta hell. and when you do, tell 'im Pat sent ya.

Then the eyes lighten back up, and the strength is gone.

journeyman
2008-02-19, 10:13 PM
Stephen

Though the task was impossible, still the failure cuts deep. Eyes that have never seen death so clearly well up with tears, becoming as mirriors. Death is reflected in his eyes as Stephen pulls out his holy symbol and clutches it tightly. "It is for the Gods to judge that man, but with my own as my witness I will see him to that judgement if I must drag him across the Styx myself. Gods willing, your words will still echo in his ears when I do." Stephen slips the symbol back into his shirt and glances around to see who might have heard his uncharacteristic outburst. His voice returns to his normal tone. "Wrap the body well and bury it deep, this plague is a supernatural evil and it may not fade even after death. Holy ground and consecration would be best, but the simple prayers of the faithful may accomplish much. My God honors simple humility over any offering of gold or jewels. Godspeed and safe travels to you.

Damage Control
2008-02-20, 01:08 AM
Glenn
Glenn looks away awkwardly as the old man cries, and as Stephen says his few words for the child. Of course, he'd been to funerals and such himself, but Stephen's dedication to one he had never met is something Glenn finds shamefully admirable; he avoids eye contact with either man. However, he notices the holy symbol, and stares at it with wide eyes, wondering if he should have one himself. After all, he is devoted to a god as well, right? He makes a mental note of the fact as he addresses the group, "Do you want to go see the mayor or the merchant? I can't say I really care about compensation that much, but they might know something."

Valdin
2008-02-20, 01:20 PM
Valdin

The old man suggested talking to the merchant first. That is where I plan to start. Oh, and Glenn? Unless activist is a particularly well paying profession, I suggest we ask for some compensation. We don't need to bleed peasants of their last coppers, but if businessmen want to finance a revival of the area, we let them.

Damage Control
2008-02-22, 12:47 AM
Glenn
Glenn sighs, familiar with language such as Valdin's. "That's my point. If they want to, let them. If I ask someone, I'm putting pressure on them when they haven't done anything to deserve it. I won't stop you from asking though; I'm pretentious, but not pushy about it," he says with a smile at the woman. "And I wouldn't dare suggest that any of us would be willing to bleed them of their last... uh, coppers," he mumbles, thinking back to the strange small coins he found in his pack.

Valdin
2008-02-22, 08:57 AM
Valdin

Hah! I've campaigned with knights like you before. Your overwhelming nobleness cannot help but charm them into showering you with food, gold and wenches.... right? Or perhaps if, instead of a supernatural plague, the villagers (while mining) had found a large store of gems and gold, do you think they would give you a share of them just for passing through? Oh! And when we reach a large city and start researching what has happened to us and how to get home, sages will research our plight out of the goodness of their hearts, booksellers will donate their wares, and wizards will cast spells on our behalf because we really NEED them. Valdin spits on the ground. No one is going to look out for your interests better than you. Face reality. If we were thatching a roof, we'd be paid for our time, materials, and skill. This is a job and we will be paid for it. Valdin focuses on the others. Now lets get moving...Glancing at the grieving old man, she lowers her voice so only the party can hear. ...before someone else's grandson dies. With that, she strides off towards town at an extraordinary speed.


Valdin's move speed is 50. The rest of the party will either lag behind, jog along, or convince her to slow down.

Fishy
2008-02-22, 11:52 AM
Enoch

Enoch waits patiently for the end of Valdin's outburst. "I do not think I like her." He fumbles with his backpack for a moment, eventually producing a well-worn crossbow, that he holds with an expert's care. He takes a moment to make sure all the parts are in good condition, gives Valdin's retreating back a curious look, then turns to the two holy men. "So. The mines, then?"

Damage Control
2008-02-22, 06:03 PM
Glenn
Glenn rolls his eyes, knowing quite well he hadn't said a word about refusing payment. "Just one of those touchy people," he says to Enoch, "If she cares about the children, she can't be too bad, right?" He follows behind with some difficulty, being much slower than Valdin even without armor.

Karaswanton
2008-02-22, 08:30 PM
As you come into town, the first thing you notice is the depopulation.
The town is nearly a small city, but the population is closer to that of a hamlet.
The graveyard spills out past it's original border, quite a few of the graves were hastily dug.

You knock on Stefan Doverspeak's door, a middle aged man answers the door.
He seems confused to see someone not from town.
Yes, can I help you gentlemen?

Valdin
2008-02-25, 01:09 PM
Valdin

Valdin smiles at the man. Perhaps we can help each other. We are going to solve the mystery of this plague. Please, tell us EVERYTHING you know about it.

Fishy
2008-02-26, 10:31 AM
Enoch

Meanwhile, Enoch heads down to the mines, starting the long process of surveying the area, trying to learn as much as he can without actually going in- outwardly indifferent to wether or not Stephen follows.

I'm just gonna roll some dice while the others are talking, shall I?
Spot Check:[roll0]
Hide Check:[roll1]
Move Silently Check:[roll2]
Search Check:[roll3]
Survival Check:[roll4]
Sense Motive Check:[roll5]

Is there a Kobold lookout at the mine entrance? If so, Enoch will try and sneak away without alerting it, if not, he'll see what he can learn from the outside of the mines. Are there tracks? How recent, what species, and how many? Have Kobolds been coming in and out frequently, or are they sick in bed?

Karaswanton
2008-02-26, 05:36 PM
OOC: Since you guys are split up I'm going to post in spoiler tags:

Enoch:

A cool breeze drifts down from the towering
peaks of the Serpentcoil Mountains as you behold
the entrance to the caverns. The frost-rimed
ground is littered with tools, picks and shovels,
some of which protrude from soft banks of snow.
A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of
the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden
support structure is covered with stone debris, a
few pieces of which occasionally glint with the
slightest hint of ore. No light issues forth from the

tunnel. Burnt-out torches are strewn across the
floor, their brackets torn from the shaft walls.
Behind you, the worn road leads back through the
crags to the valley below. Aside from the quiet
whistling of the wind, complete silence fills the
small clearing within the mountains.

OOC: In addition you find:
-a small creek, large enough to provide the party with water.
-enough fruits, vegetables, and roots to feed everyone in the party, and a reasonably fresh dead deer. You know the fruits, vegetables and roots are fine to eat. The deer you aren't sure about, but it looks alright as best you can tell. Again, whether or not you share is up to you and Bluff/Sense Motive checks.

All this takes you three hours total, including a half an hour of walking to the mine.


Everyone else:

OOC: I'm assuming Stefan is with these guys. He wouldn't be much help in recon IIRC., and we haven't heard from journeyman's sub.
I'm a merchant, not a doctor. All I know is that it's ruined the economy in the area, and the stream of investments and workers have slowed to a trickle. I take it you boys (he seems confused when addressing Valdin. She acts and dresses in a mannish fashion, but her voice is feminine..and the clothes don't fit her very well.) are looking to take care of the problem..with the hope of some compensation?

I wouldn't mind paying your for your trouble of course--that's only fair really. But I hope you have better reasons than payment..we haven't as much to give as we used to, and others have already tried..and failed.
I can offer you 20 gold each myself--unless there are many more of you. If you want much more than that I'm afraid you'd have to check with the Mayor.

Damage Control
2008-02-26, 06:00 PM
Glenn
"Just one more, I'm guessing he went to go look around. And don't worry, I don't think any of us plan to take everything you have," the paladin says with a wide smile. "However, if you have any ideas about the cause, telling us would help immensely."

Fishy
2008-02-26, 09:23 PM
Enoch

Enoch works in utter silence, a frown forming on his face. Something about this place is very unnerving.

{What killed the deer? Are there claw marks on the corpse and animal tracks on the ground, or is this the horrible plague that's been going around?}
Survival:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Heal:[roll2]

Karaswanton
2008-02-26, 10:11 PM
Enoch:

A broken neck seems to be the cause of death (result of Heal).
You see a small ledge in the mountains (mine was in the mountains), about thirty feet up. You see some rocks that appear to have fallen from the ledge around the corpse.
You don't see anything wrong with the deer, aside from the broken neck and it not moving anymore.


Townies:

Ah good. A fourth in the company is still within my means.

Do you need any supplies? I might be able to muster up some small sundries--rations, maybe some rope. Nothing fancy, but it looks like everyone has arms and armor already.

Payment would only be the result of a successful mission. We have supplies aplenty since folks stopped coming--no profit to be made on supplies that don't sell. Gold is a little more thin of course--we've had enough failures that an advance would be out of the question I'm afraid.

As far as the cause of the blight, I recommend that you boys (again eyes Valdin strangely) check out the mine. Strange things have been going on there. I think it would be best if you headed out immediately, camped just outside the mine tonight and then started early morn tomorrow. I can check with the Mayor to see if we can spare any of the town guard for night watch so you start the day rested, but I can't promise much.

Valdin
2008-02-27, 12:50 AM
Valdin

20 gold will do fine, but really, why do you think the mine or the kobolds have anything to do with this? We have heard to kobolds are sick as well. Were the first people to be infected miners? Did this infection start before or after the mine was lost to the kobolds? I'd rather not waste time on red herrings, so do tell me EVERYTHING that has been going on here.

Karaswanton
2008-02-27, 09:36 AM
Stefan Doverspeak:

It all started four months back. First, the miners returned home from their work at night complaining of blistering sores and an unbearable thirst. Then the town’s livestock was decimated by an unknown illness and the crops began to wither.

The town well is part of a subterranean water system that originates from the mine. The town elders thought the plague was brought on by a poisoned well, but the well water is from the mine, and the miners came down sick first.

Fishy
2008-02-27, 10:21 AM
Enoch
After musing on the nature of deer mortality for a while, Enoch turns his attention to the ledge above.

{I'm fully aware that this is most likely a red herring/waste of the DM's time, but does the ledge go anywhere that might be used as a lookout for the mine entrance? Does the wall look scalable? Could any of the mining picks be fashioned into an improvised replacement for the grappling hook I forgot to buy? :P}
Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]

Karaswanton
2008-02-27, 10:48 AM
No, it doesn't go anywhere, and you can't make an improvised grappling hook.

Valdin
2008-02-27, 11:07 AM
Valdin

Interesting. We will be back with a solution soon. Can you point me towards the well, and give me directions to the mayors house?

Examine the well. Can I see the water? If not can I see it if I light a torch above the well? If I can't see the water, lower the bucket till it hits water and estimate the length of the rope. Also check to see if there is a pull on the rope to one side.

Basically, I am trying to determine how deep the well is, if it opens up into a cavern, and if the water at the bottom is stagnant or flowing.

Karaswanton
2008-02-27, 06:38 PM
Stefan gives you directions to the mayor's house and the well.
The is quite deep, and it doesn't appear to be part of a cavern.

DM note: By subterranean water system, I meant "aquifer" not "something for spelunking." :P

Valdin
2008-02-28, 01:52 AM
Valdin

Valdin goes to the mayors house and tells him that we are here to help, repeats the two stories he has heard so far, and asks for any extra info the mayor might have, especially about the kobolds. When they showed up and how long ago that they took the mines over completely.

Karaswanton
2008-02-28, 09:56 AM
Cristofar Senders (Mayor):

The kobolds have always been in the area, something of a minority constituency. They weren't aggressive until about a month and a half ago. That's when they took over the mine...and took the miners, including my two sons hostage. All attempts at parley and rescue have failed.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the plague that you've been told already.

I'm afraid I can't spare any of the town guard...too many of the people here are worried about the kobolds. If you'd like someone to keep watch, perhaps Father Samual would be willing to spend a sleepless night watching out for you. If he'd rather not risk it, then I'm afraid you are on your own.

OOC: Let's see some Diplomacy checks if you guys decide to talk to Father Samual.

Valdin
2008-02-28, 10:52 AM
Valdin

Valdin nods at Christofar. Hopefully we shall put this information to good use. After leaving the house, Valdin turns to the other two. Lets not involve any civilians here. We can do our own watch rotation. I think we ought to take the merchant up on his offer of supplies. Can one of you get some climbing gear, since we are going into a mine? Also, I have no need to eat anymore, but you might want to grab a few days worth of rations for the rest of the group. After that, unless anyone else has business here, I suggest we go to the mines.

journeyman
2008-02-29, 01:48 AM
Stephen

A bit irked at the idea of wasting more time seeking recompense from the mayor, Stephen stays back with the merchant to handle supplies. He won't press for more than the merchant seems comfortable giving, but he is specific about their needs. He tries to obtain the following:

A Healer's Kit (absolute must have, even if they are in short supply)
Any maps or other directions for the mine
Ropes
Climbing kit(s)
Pitons
Hammer
2-3 days rations for the whole party
Torches (or other light source as available)
Flint
Chalk
Compass (if it will work down there)
A backpack and bedroll for himself and any other members that didn't have one
More suitable clothes (his vestements are not going to survive spelunking and his slippers are probably trashed by now)

Once he has whatever the merchant will give him, he busies himself getting everything packed away neatly with items likely to be needed quickly on top. He inquires about those who left to investigate the mine before (particularly for visual recognition and any items of value that should be retrieved for next of kin). If the other two aren't back by the time he's finished, he tries to make small talk, using questions about trade and goods to try getting a better idea where he is. He'll let the topic drift and is a considerate listener if the merchant has anything he wants to vent about (OOC I'm trying to provide a logical explanation for where he learned any odd facts I later quote when using my lore ability). If the merchant goes back in without inviting him in or otherwise leaves him alone, Stephen pulls out his book on abyssal and continues his studies impatiently until the others return. Once at the mines, he'll quietly encourage Enoch to share anything he's learned and solicit any plans or ideas the others have for searching the mines.

BTW: Let me know when dusk comes around as Stephen willl be praying for spells then.

Lore check [roll0] for anything on kobolds, [roll1] mining, [roll2] underground dangers

Fishy
2008-02-29, 09:40 AM
Enoch

Having concluded that there's no one watching and not much left to learn, Enoch drags the deer away from the cliff and closer to the road, setting about the business of making a fire, then seeing what he can do to clean and cook the hapless animal.

Survival: [roll0]

Karaswanton
2008-02-29, 12:11 PM
For the townies:

Whoa boy, I don't have all that handy here at the house, but I'm sure I can rustle most of that up without a problem, either from my own store or someone else's.


He then walks off, motioning for you to follow. He goes to his own store, grabs a few goods--which he has you carry. Next he makes the rounds going from shop to shop, talking to the other shop-keepers. After a bit--about an hour and a half--he manages to get all the supplies you mentioned.

For the town party it is now late afternoon.

Knowledge checks:

Your knowledge checks on kobolds and mining are of no use.
"Underground dangers" gives you general information on caves: Watch out for monsters, sinkholes, falling debris, and subterranean underwater hazards.
and traps.


Enoch:

Your attempt at a fire succeeds thank to some nearby flint deposits and the prevalence of dead vegetation. You manage to find some dead underbrush that looks like it died of natural causes (ie, not the plague). Your attempt at cleaning the deer is successful. You also manage to use some dead wood to create a makeshift spit to cook some meat on.
For you, it is reaching dusk. If you could, please wait for further actions until the rest of the party catches up to you.

Karaswanton
2008-03-04, 02:29 PM
Ok. I'm assuming everyone goes to the mines and meets up with Enoch.

A cool breeze drifts down from the towering
peaks of the Serpentcoil Mountains as you behold
the entrance to the caverns. The frost-rimed
ground is littered with tools, picks and shovels,
some of which protrude from soft banks of snow.
A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of
the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden
support structure is covered with stone debris, a
few pieces of which occasionally glint with the
slightest hint of ore. No light issues forth from the
tunnel. Burnt-out torches are strewn across the
floor, their brackets torn from the shaft walls.
Behind you, the worn road leads back through the
crags to the valley below. Aside from the quiet
whistling of the wind, complete silence fills the
small clearing within the mountains.

journeyman
2008-03-04, 08:00 PM
Hoisting the group's newly-purchased goods as best he can, Stephen follows the rest of his companions once they return out to the mines. Once there and reunited with Enoch, he waits to see if any of the others will request what he's learned first; if not, he waits for an opportune moment and quietly asks himself.

Fishy
2008-03-04, 09:40 PM
Enoch

Enoch has been busy. A small campfire is crackling away by the side of the road, and several hunks of fresh deer are roasting away on a spit. He's watching the darkening sky as the rest of the group arrives- waiting for the first of this world's stars- but quickly rises to his feet, crossbow in hand. "No tracks," he reports, "No kobolds. No nothing.

"I made dinner."

Valdin
2008-03-07, 11:34 AM
Valdin

Good, we got supplies. Valdin glances at the cooking deer. I don't think I will eat anything until we solve this blight, however.

Fishy
2008-03-08, 05:05 AM
Enoch

Enoch shrugs. "It's safe. I think," but he doesn't pursue the issue.

What did you see?"

journeyman
2008-03-08, 11:19 PM
Stephen

The town is suffering badly under this blight. The stores are stocked, their owners obviously unwilling to leave all they have behind, but there are no customers, or anyone else on the streets. I saw many houses abandoned and can only assume that those who remain have quarantined themselves and are praying to whatever gods they think will listen. Still, the merchants generously gave of what they had, simply for a little hope. I would suggest we all make getting adequate rest tonight a priority. If this town is to survive, every day counts. Stephen blushes slightly in embarrassment after his impassioned response, but his eyes still blaze with idealistic determination. He helps himself to the food and keeps a close eye on the sun. When the sun has just vanished under the horizon, he announces "I'll take first watch" and turns his back to the fire to better see in the deepening light.

OOC: He's now praying for spells silently (his lips are moving, but the others shouldn't be able to see that from behind him) and will not respond to anything less than a threat for the next hour.

Spot[roll0]
Listen[roll1]

Valdin
2008-03-11, 04:45 AM
Valdin

We found the plague started four months ago, and the kobolds attacked a month and a half ago, so blaming the plague on them seems irrational. Still, we can still check out the mines, perhaps the kobolds know or suspect something we have not yet heard. Also, the kobolds have hostages we should try to get released.

Karaswanton
2008-03-12, 11:14 AM
The tunnel is 15 feet wide and 10 feet tall. Everyone make me a spot check.

Fishy
2008-03-12, 08:42 PM
Enoch

Spot: [roll0]

Valdin
2008-03-13, 09:29 AM
spot [roll0]

journeyman
2008-03-13, 04:17 PM
Stephen

[roll0] Sweetness, nat 20.

Karaswanton
2008-03-23, 07:59 PM
Suddenly, and without warning, Glenn is swallowed by the void. The void then vomits forth a tall, heavily built man.

Stephen:

You notice that the wooden supports
to the tunnel are chipped and torn, as if having
been damaged in recent battle. With the light produced by the twisting nether, you notice bloodstains spatter the tunnel as well.

Baerdog7
2008-03-24, 02:53 AM
Beynon

The newcomer grunts in pain as he falls unceremoniously through the portal. It takes him a moment to collect himself before he notices the others.

Oh, hello. I hope that the lot of you aren't intending to rob me; I shan't make it easy on you.

He stands up and dusts himself off. The man stands over six feet tall and is heavily built with short black hair and blue eyes that sparkle in the firelight. He is dressed in studded leather armor, a blue cloak, and a blue tabard with an anchor superimposed on a wagon wheel. A longbow and quiver hang across his shoulders and a dagger is sheathed on his belt. he stoops down once more to pick up the halberd at his feet.

My name is Beynon Murphy and I have no idea where I am...again.

Valdin
2008-03-24, 10:43 AM
Valdin stares open mouthed for several seconds and then shakes her head in anger. This is going to get obnoxious.

Baerdog7
2008-03-24, 11:09 AM
Beynon

Beynon bristles at Valdin's comment.

Listen...lady, it's not my fault I got knocked through that portal. He says defensively.

journeyman
2008-03-24, 11:04 PM
Stephen

The priest pauses with a look of curiosity on his face and makes as if to defend himself as Glenn vanishes and the new arrival appears. After Seeing that Valdin quickly has the situation under control though, he returns his attention to completing his prayers.

Baerdog7
2008-03-26, 12:20 AM
Beynon

Beynon rubs his hands across his tired face.

Please, could I share your fire tonight; and perhaps some food and drink. I am exhausted, desperate for company, and have no food of my own. I can be on my own way in the morning.

Valdin
2008-03-26, 11:22 AM
Valdin

Valdin smirks. On your way where? Whatever capricious gods dumped you in this infested land obviously mean for you to help us. Just as we are obviously meant to help these locals.

Valdin recounts the highlights of the adventure so far to the new addition.

So, by all means, eat and drink heartily! It's only marginally more likely to kill you than the air. Valdin gestures towards the cooking deer.

Baerdog7
2008-03-26, 04:43 PM
Beynon

Beynon sighs with relief and slices himself a piece of deer before sitting in front of the fire.

You said something about helping the locals? He says around a mouthful of venison. What kind of trouble are they in?

Karaswanton
2008-03-28, 04:05 PM
Valdin
Jake is on vacation. I'm NPCing his character. Can we maybe speed up a bit?

"Some sort of plague has over-run the area. It's killing people, their crops, and their cattle. The townsfolk seem to think the mine has something to do with it. Our party was going to investigate, but then one of us disappeared, and you appeared. We've been offered a reward."

Baerdog7
2008-03-29, 01:15 AM
Beynon

Beynon listens intently as Valdin explains the situation.

Alright, I'll help you guys. We should post a watch tonight in case anything comes out of the mine. I can take the first watch if you all want and I'll wake whomever wants to take the second watch in two hours.

Fishy
2008-04-01, 09:03 PM
Enoch

Enoch eyes the stranger, taking the sudden hole in space-time more or less in stride, but keeping mostly quiet and to himself. At the mention of setting up watch, however, he looks slightly perplexed. "It's underground. Why wait until dawn?"

Karaswanton
2008-04-02, 08:43 PM
Valdin

"True enough. I say we get this over with."

Baerdog7
2008-04-03, 10:18 PM
Beynon

Alright then, Beynon says, pulling himself upright with his halberd. He produces a torch from his pack and lights it from the campfire.

Let's do this then. I'm, uh, gonna need one of you to carry the torch though. I can't exactly hold it and fight at the same time.

Valdin
2008-04-08, 10:21 PM
Valdin

I will carry the torch. I only need two hands when using my crossbow anyways.

Karaswanton
2008-04-15, 08:55 AM
A cool breeze drifts down from the towering
peaks of the Serpentcoil Mountains as you behold
the entrance to the caverns. The frost-rimed
ground is littered with tools, picks and shovels,
some of which protrude from soft banks of snow.
A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of
the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden
support structure is covered with stone debris, a
few pieces of which occasionally glint with the
slightest hint of ore. No light issues forth from the
tunnel. Burnt-out torches are strewn across the
floor, their brackets torn from the shaft walls.
Behind you, the worn road leads back through the
crags to the valley below. Aside from the quiet
whistling of the wind, complete silence fills the
small clearing within the mountains.

Karaswanton
2008-04-19, 11:45 PM
Game is closed.