PDA

View Full Version : [Avatar d20] The Fall of Chin the Great - Group 1 IC



Mephibosheth
2008-02-14, 10:14 AM
The Fall of Chin the Great Ė Group 1

The last few years have been full of upheaval, conflict, and uncertainty. The armies of Chin the Great washed over the Earth Kingdom, leaving only Ba Sing Se, safe behind its impenetrable wall, unconquered. Now though, the tide of Chinís conquest has crashed against the rock of Avatar Kyoshi and has begun to recede, leaving shattered villages, purpose-less military units, and disrupted lives in its wake.

Rumors are flying throughout the kingdom. Some say that Kyoshi separated a piece of the country from the mainland in order to stop the conqueror. Some speak of the inability of the Earth King to stop Chin and quietly foment rebellion. Some whisper quietly of the order that would have come with Chinís complete conquest. More loudly, people complain of banditry, poverty, and the destruction left by the various armies.

It is in this time of uncertainty that you find yourself in the village of Yu Shya, a local trading center approximately 3-dayís ride southeast of Ba Sing Se. You are standing at the edge of the town square, where it appears several things are happening. At the well in the center of the square, a slender man wearing the ragged clothes and the pointed hat of a peasant is speaking excitedly of betterment for peasants and general prosperity for the people of the Earth Kingdom when the new order comes. He is surrounded by people, who become increasingly agitated with every sentence. On the left-most fringe of the square, a well-dressed nobleman is surrounded by a rough crowd of characters, with whom he seems to be engaged in a heated discussion, though if you listen carefully, you can hear the clink of coins at intervals. The nobleman continuously looks askance at the group in the center of the square. Finally, the walls of shops surround the square are plastered with wanted posters for various bandits and criminals, all advertising a reward if the pictured individual is captured and turned in to the authorities.

Arashi Koroda
You have arrived in the village only this evening, making your way back to Ba Sing Se after your time in Chinís army. Set adrift, you canít think of a better place to go about finding a purpose than the largest city in the kingdom.

Aaron Lee
You have been in town for a few days. Your performances are able to draw modest crowds, but the money you make is only just enough to keep you fed and housed.

Liu Shen
Rumors of bandit activity in the area surrounding Yu Shya have brought you to the village with the hope of assisting in brokering a peace between the townsfolk, the military, and the bandit forces. As a local trading center, Yu Shya is a good place to keep your ears to the ground for news of developments in the larger Earth Kingdom. At least, itís better than the small village far to the southeast in which you were stationed when Chin was killed.

Rikku
You are on your way to Ba Sing Se, trying to get a handle on the Earth Kingís movements and find a way to facilitate the peace process. You have stopped in Yu Shya in order to obtain provisions and as a change of pace from sleeping on the ground

Sazun Inako
You've had word of escalating bandit activity in the area around Yu Shya, as well as increased levels of effectiveness and discipline during the raids. Perhaps some of the deserters from Chin's army have joined on and are contributing their talents and training to the cause.


OOC:
AaaaandÖ.go!

In your first post, please briefly (or extensively, your choice) describe your characterís appearance and what theyíre doing in town at the moment. I hope everyone enjoys the game, and apologize for the slightly-delayed beginning.


{table=head]Player|Character|Class
Guyr Adamantine|Sazun Inako (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41305)|Firebender 5
Noble Savant|Arashi Koroda (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41667)|Swashbuckler 4/Fighter 1
Ninjatoman|Rikku (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41510)|Ranger 5
ErrantX|Liu Shen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41237)|Earthbender 5
Sir Shadow|Aaron Lee (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41664)|Fighter 5[/table]

I claim sandy brown as the DM's IC color

ErrantX
2008-02-14, 12:17 PM
Liu Shen

Liu Shen walks into town with a proud gait, his rich green robes billowing around his densely muscled frame. A massive greatsword rests in a hanger on his back while his thick beard meets him midchest. His left arm does not go through the sleeve of his robe, instead it rests inside of is as his hand protrudes from it's open and belted front as if in a sling. He is barefooted, a common sight here in the Earth Kingdom, and studded leather armor of fine and sturdy craft is visible beneath his robe. A ronin warrior, his confidence is unquestionable.

He pauses to examine the wanted posters as he strokes his beard absentmindedly, his brow furrowed. He glances at both the nobleman and the ruffians who surround him and the preaching peasant. Unwilling to interrupt the potentially illicit deal the noble appears to be doing, Liu approaches the peasant.

"Good day, my good man, but what 'new order' do you speak of? Has a great new lord arisen?"

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-14, 01:44 PM
Sazun Inako

Sazun Inako is smilling. She smiles because the town is so alive, so much more than ever before. She dusts her studded leather armor and thick gauntlets, cleaning her colorful monk clothes before hastily joining the crowd. Next to the noble and his ''colleagues'', she waves her night-black, braided hair and innocently asks:

''Could one of you gentlemens tell me what could a young women find interesting to spend a few of her wealth on?''

Mephibosheth
2008-02-14, 04:31 PM
Liu Shen

The speaker looks at you from underneath his hat with a slight glare of annoyance at the interruption. Nevertheless, he responds.

No, but a new lord is about to arise! The Earth King sat in his city and did nothing while the armies of Chin the Tyrant washed over our villages and watered our fields in the blood of our families and friends! It is time that the people of the Earth Kingdom have a government that cares about them, and looks after their needs! We shall rule, not an Earth King sequestered in his palace!

Apparently, the speaker is using your interruption to arouse his listeners further.

Who shall rule? We shall!

Sazun Inako

As you approach, the nobleman looks at your nervously (never meeting your eyes) and whisks a small wooden box off the table around which the group has gathered with an almost-imperceptible *clink*.

The other men gathered around, already interested in the woman who has just walked up, look with increasing interest at the mention of "wealth." One of them shrugs and says,

Not much around here worth buying. Althought...lady like you shouldn't be wandering around by herself. If you'd like, maybe I could take some coin off your hands in return for a sturdy sword by your side. Whadda ya say?

These last few sentences are said with a noticeable lear, which provokes variations of laughter, derision, and moral outrage from the surrounding men.

Noble Savant
2008-02-14, 05:52 PM
Arashi stares at the group of noblemen and the woman who joined them. He had wandered in this city alone, and he had been searching for a purpose since then. He simply couldn't function without a goal in his life.

Carefully, he edged towards the group, listening in on their conversation, and staring at them with his wide, wide eyes.

ErrantX
2008-02-14, 05:54 PM
Liu Shen

"Bah! You speak foolishness! You speak like Chin himself! The Tyrant wanted to depose the Earth King just the same as you." Liu Shen walks to stand next to the peasant speaker, continuing to speak in a booming, deep voice.

"Now I ask you, if you want the Earth King to fall, where are your loyalties? The Earth King is our liege, our lord, our nation. Instead of trying to overthrow our King, instead we should seek to aid him, aid in the reunification our lands, of our people. You have a gift of words, my friend. Use them for the unification of people, the betterment of our nation, and the strengthening of our Kingdom and our King." He then pats the man on the shoulder and smiles at him. "It is the wish of our people to be whole and strong, and rebellion is not the way." Diplomacy check to influence the peasant to see my point of view. (1d20 8=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1494673/)

ninjatoman
2008-02-14, 08:35 PM
Rikuu
Rikuu enter in the city, he likes a old traveler with his swords on back and his Raven-Eagle on the shoulder, the people don't pay attention at him. He walks to the merchant to buy some provisions. After he looks the wanted posters and he heard two people argue about the Earth King on the central square and that scene call his attention. He stops to reading the posters and pay attention on the scene.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-14, 11:02 PM
Aaron Lee

With a distant look in his eye, the young man leisurely glance over the wanted posters briefly getting the gist of each one. What he wouldn't give to find one of these men and get some REAL money. Of course, all of them were too smart to show their ugly mugs around town. But that was life.

Idly, his hands worked at tuning his guitar preparing for a new day of entertainment. The money coming in was alright, but it was far less than he had expected. It just seemed like everyone had their purse-strings tied tight these days, and Aaron really couldn't blame them.

After a brief sigh, he tussled his hair and turned to look around at the crowded square. There were several groups prodding around. One was quite familiar, and were brandishing their weapons and false smiles as per usual, and the other was once more lodged in a political debate that Aaron simply had no interest in.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]


It was a pretty average day. People were arguing, goods were being traded, and the clinking of coins filled the air. Hopefully, those coins would be flying his way soon. Placing his guitar case on the ground in front of him, Aaron let his fingers slide across the strings in a familiar way as he fell into a rythm.

Dressed in his simple traveling cloths, Aaron plucked the strings and began to sing. It was a silly little Water Tribe ditty that he remembered from his youth. They'd always sing it during the nights when there was a full moon.


[roll3]
[roll4]


Zip Dan Dee!
Water flies, but flies don't water
When I move this way!

Long ago in the ice and snow
Where lights glow sky,
A boy and his otter danced together
Under a moon-lit night.

The otter spun a crazzy jig,
While the boy rushed to follow.
His claws clacked and clicked across the ice,
While the boy pitter-pattered along.

Zip Dan Dee!
Water flies, but flies don't water,
When I move this way!

The moon yawned wide and turned in her sleep
As the two made such a racket.
Until she leened way down to them
And asked them what was the matter.

She said 'Will you be good and quiet'
'If I teach you to dance with the sea?'
The two turned red and nodded silent
And listened to what she said.

Zip Dan Dee!
Water flies, but flies don't water,
When I move this way!

'Dance this way and move like this.'
Said the moon as she spun 'round!
The water shook and the water splashed
And rose without a sound.

All night they dance, all night they jigged.
Until the two had it down pat.
And with a yawn the Moon returned
To sleep and rest again.

Zip Dan Dee!
Water flies, but flies don't water,
When I move this way!

True to their promise, the next night those two
Danced with the silent water,
But tired from a full night of dancing,
The Moon did not show up to play!

Zip Dan Dee!
Water flies, but flies don't water,
When I move this waaaaay!

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-15, 08:02 AM
Sazun Inako

Outraged by the disrespectful demeanor of her antagonists, Sazun walks away with a pout. She is angry, but the air filled with jolly music appeases her immediatly. Happy again, she goes near the singer, free some coins on the dirt in front of him, and ask in a giggle:

You! Help me! I want to know what those weird guys are talking about, but they won't let me know. If you bring me the information I want, I'll give you more money.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-15, 12:17 PM
Arashi Koroda

You are able to edge close enough to hear snatches of their conversation.

...worried about these peasants. Who know's what's going to happen if they get all riled up. Look at that!


And you want us to do...

...just need some more men around my home. Will you help?


Perhaps, but my "help" don't come cheap...


Mine neither. What'd you have in mind to give for our "help?"

Liu Shen

The speaker gives you a strange look that says "how on earth could you believe something like that!?" He opens his mouth to speak again, addressing the crowd more than you.

Chin wanted to overthrow the Earth King for his own personal glory. I am speaking of the betterment of my fellow peasants! My loyalties are to the people of the Earth Kingdom. It is the people of this land who are great, not its corrupt and uncaring monarch, and it isn't the Earth King who gives us our proud identity. We must rise up and eliminate the bureaucracy that allows its people to die by the sword.

He still commands the attention of the crowd, but you notice that the cheers of support that punctuate his speech are becoming slightly less enthusiastic, and a few people nearby are speaking amongst themselves instead of listening in rapt attention.

Rikku

There appears to be a standing offer of one gold piece for every member of the "Earth Kingdom Treasurers" brought in alive. Apparently, members are identified by armbands bearing the national emblem (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/f/fic%5Eavat4.gif) of the Earth Kingdom in gold, in mockery of Earth Kingdom authority and making a joke about the shape of Earth Kingdom money. For every armband you bring in without an accompanying live bandit, there is a reward of 5 silver pieces.

In addition to these general rewards, there is the 100 gp reward for the capture of Jin Hua, the leader of the Earth Kingdom Treasurers, a tall thick man with an impressive white beard and a bald pate. There is also a standing 5 gp reward for any captured former members of Chin's army.

Aaron Lee

Your song catches the eyes of quite a few passersby, some of whom stop and listen and clap politely when you finish. Looking down into your case, you see that passersby have given you 3 copper pieces, not a bad return for a single song in times like these.

OOC:
Sir Shadow, let me know for how long Aaron plays, and I'll give you the total money he makes. That's a pretty awesome song, by the way. Does it have music too?

ErrantX
2008-02-15, 01:54 PM
Liu Shen

"Then you are committed to this rebellion then? It takes nothing to talk of destroying what we have, and it takes little more to want to bring it down. It takes true strength to mold what exists into the ideal in our minds. Saying the Earth King must be overthrown are bold words, saying that the Earth King is corrupt and uncaring are as well. But a King's strength lies in the strength of his people. If the people are weak and divided, standing against him, then of course the throne will be weak. If you truly love your Earth Kingdom, why would you make it weaker by speaking this way? I say work to make it better, I say speak to others to sway them to work for it to be better. Speaking of rebellion and war is the wrong way to go. Too much war has occurred in recent years, too much death. Now is a time of peace, a time of healing and restoration. Be a force for peace, do not try to make the land and her people suffer more for your short-sightedness." Shaking his head sadly at the peasant speaker, Liu Shen turns and moves away to listen to the singer as the song ends.

His eyes follow the pouting girl to the singer as he listens to her words to the singer. Liu then glances towards the wealthy man and the ruffians who surround him, his eyes narrowing slightly as he examines them. Muttering to himself, "Anywhere you go, trouble seems to follow..." Liu looks to the girl and says to her, "Excuse me girl, were those men harassing you?"

Noble Savant
2008-02-15, 06:54 PM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi watched as the woman stalked off, and heard her inquire about what the men were talking about. He saw his chance. He could listen to the men, if he found their goal admirable, he would make it his. Otherwise, he would speak to the woman. It was win-win for Arashi.

OOC: I give up, I'll just use that site. Listen Check http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1496555/ (15-1=14)

ninjatoman
2008-02-15, 08:45 PM
Rikuu don't saw nothing really important in the posters, but he decided to investigate deeper the "Earth Kingdom Treasurers", and stay in the city for 2 days more. And start walking the city searching for Treasurers.


-1gp Inn

search check(search for "Earth Kingdom Treasurers")
1d20+2 → [20,2] = (22)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1495915/

Sir Shadow
2008-02-15, 10:42 PM
OOC:

Well, it's only been one song, so 3 coppers is pretty good for a 3-5 minute performance. As for the song, I haven't actually written down the music, but I have it in my head, so I may write it down some time.

[roll0]
[roll1]


Aaron Lee

Aaron smiled in bowed as the audience clapped and tossed a few coins. Sure... there weren't more than half a dozen people gathered, but it was something. However, one girl quickly got his attention. As soon as he heard "more money", Aaron was all ears. He walked toward her and looked her over quickly.

Weeeeell...

But before he could continue, he was interrupted by a large man in armor. It was very apparent neither of them was thinking clearly. Aaron usually disliked the "all honor" military types, and this man was no exception.

As I was saying... Anyone in town could probably tell you those guys are mercenaries. They're pricey but they do a good job I 'spose. That fancy looking guy is 'prolly some rich dude looking for some hired muscle to protect his land or house... What with all craziness since Chin kicked the bucket...

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-16, 01:28 PM
Sazun Inako

''I really need you two to help me talk to them, they won't take me seriously! Perhaps such a broad-shouldered would help my voice be heard?'', Sazun asked with her most dramatic look, waving her eyelashes.

ErrantX
2008-02-16, 02:15 PM
Liu Shen

"Of course, I'd be happy to assist you in your dealings with them. I was meaning to speak to the man over there myself, actually. I am Liu Shen," the large man said with a warm and genuine smile as he bowed slightly. "What sort of dealings did you have in mind?"

Turning his head slightly he nods with a smile to the minstrel, tosses a silver coin into the guitar case and says, "By the by, I did enjoy your song, what I got to hear of it."

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-16, 02:31 PM
Sazun Inako

''Pleased to meet you, Liu Shen. I am Sazun Inako.

In these times, trouble is near. Perhaps should I propose our services to the community, as it will need as many warriors as it can afford. I intend to lend my firebending to them, but I guess they are not used to womens who fights.

By the way, I assume by the fine blade you carry that you are a warrior, but the speech you gave was quite inspiring. Am I mistaken or were you an officer under the Earth King's army direction?''

ninjatoman
2008-02-16, 02:43 PM
Rikku
in the way to Inn, to rent a room, he passed near the singer, that was talking with a women with black hair and a strong men in green clothes. And throw a silver coin to the singer and say:
you are very good my friend, have a good day.

ErrantX
2008-02-16, 03:21 PM
Liu Shen

"Well met, Miss Inako. And a firebender to boot, you say? Yes, I was an officer in the army," Liu remarks with a touch of bitterness, adjusting the left arm resting inside of his jade green robes.

"Now my duties make me an emissary of the Earth Kingdom here to try to aid in the stabilizing of the region. My blade, Gunryo, is only here in case negotiations... break down, I suppose. The people this region are divided between the locals, former military, and outlaws like the Treasurers. It is my hope that I can at least unify the people and ex-military to apprehend such criminals and bring peace to this area before I can move on. I would be honored if we might work together for a time, as our goals seems to be similar, if not the same."

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-16, 03:47 PM
Sazun Inako

''Fine!,'' Sazun said in a smile. ''I propose we gather other specialists willing to work to the cause. First, are you still with me, artist?'' She crouched herself, trying to get on his level to be more convincing. ''My offer keeps going, and remember, the more, the merrier!''

Sir Shadow
2008-02-16, 04:45 PM
Aaron Lee

As he kneeled and scooped up the coins he had been given, Aaron listened to the two's conversation. It quickly changed from getting information to forming a militia group! But at least he found out his surmizing was correct. The large armored man had been in the army. The girl was a firebender... which was strange in these parts and simply made the boy curious as to what she was doing. The more he listened, the more he became wary of continuing along this line of thinking.

Still, one thing kept him very interested. Money. The fact was, Aaron had plenty of it, but even he couldn't deny that he was more than a little greedy. The thought of obtaining more gold urged him. His makings as a street performer were alright--enough to keep him fed--but the thought of earning some real bounties appealed to him. And those treasurers looked like easy pickings.

Finally, the woman crouched next to him and repeated her offer. A grin spread accross his face and he gave her a firm nod, a wordless, yet binding, affirmation. He hastily put away his guitar and pocketed the change. Slinging the case around to his back, Aaron grabbed his backpack and put it on next to it. Cocking his head he looked at Inako.

When do we leave?

ninjatoman
2008-02-16, 06:37 PM
Rikku
When Rikku threw the coin and listen this conversation he stop and say to the woman:"Excuse me, are you looking for some especialists to help in the unification of the Earth Kingdom?? I suppose that our objectives are very similar."

ErrantX
2008-02-16, 07:04 PM
Liu Shen

Liu Shen flushes a moment, realizing how quickly this is all moving along. "Well, seeing as how we seem to be attracted so much attention here all of a sudden, shall we go find some place a little more private to make proper introductions?" Liu then gestures towards the tavern. "Perhaps over a drink?"

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-17, 12:17 PM
sazun Inako

Sazun was enchanted by the twist of th events. Everything was working fine! She grabbed the arm of Liu Shen and eagerly said:

Great idea Master Shen! Do anyone has any establishment to propose?

ErrantX
2008-02-17, 01:37 PM
Liu Shen

"Oh any is good, I suppose..." Liu Shen said with a shrug. "Hopefully it will also serve food, trail meat and crusty bread is only good for so long, eh?"

The large man then gestures to Rikku, "And yes, come along if you'd like. The more the merrier, as Miss Inako has said. I believe we can speak with the wealthy man and his thugs at a later time." With that said, the ronin heads off to the nearest tavern in search of wine, food, and conversation.

ninjatoman
2008-02-17, 05:05 PM
Rikku
Ok, I will go with you noble gentlemans and lady. We can talk more in the tavern.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-18, 11:41 AM
Liu Shen, Rikku, Aaron Lee, & Sazun Inako

The four of you head into a tea shop just on the other side of the square. The nobleman is still deep in conversation with those surrounding him, and the peasant orator carries on with his speaches, apparently undaunted by Liu Shen's arguments.

The tea shop is bustling, full of patrons enjoying a few cups of tea with their friends before heading home for the evening. The tea is delicious, and there are many varieties to choose from, served steaming hot in small clay mugs at your seat at one of the worn tables scattered around the room. The noise of the shop is enough that you should have no trouble avoiding attention, provided you keep your voices low.

Arashi Koroda

You haven't been able to overhear anything groundbreaking from the group surrounding the nobleman. Apparently, he's offering payment for mercenaries to guard his lands and home in case of a peasant uprising. He'll discuss details with applicants who show up at his plantation the next morning.

Noble Savant
2008-02-18, 03:50 PM
Arashi thought hard about the nobleman's words. It would probably put gold in his pocket; it wasn't very noble or interesting at that.

While listening to the men, he had overheard a conversation between a few people. "This is better." He thought to himself. "This is something that I can do, I'm sure it won't be much different to being a soldier."

He followed closely behind the group, studying them intently, trying to take in as much as he could about them. He didn't even consider how polite it was. Or rather wasn't.

ninjatoman
2008-02-18, 10:01 PM
Rikku
Rikku seats at the table, he drinks a cup of tea. He feels that they are being observed, he stay alert for this, but he started to talk with Inako, his face don't show any emotion:
First I think that I will say who I am... I am Rikku, a ex-general of the great Earth Kingdom, I commanded a infiltration squad for 7 years, but before I say more things about me, say me one thing...What a young girl like you are doing here recruiting fighters???

I don't know if I can detail more my background, but if it was a
problem say me please

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-19, 09:33 AM
Sazun Inako

Sazun turned her head away from her cup of tea in direction of the old man, clueless by the bland face he showed while talking. She was interested in his own story, but he wanted explanation. She replies, in a most exquisite way:

To be sincere, all of us wanderers could have joined these mercenaries outside, but two important facts makes me believe they aren't made for the job. First, they do not know how to properly treat a women. How do you expect such a rude man to protect those that need protection? Second, they were hired. By a rich men. If the most poor needs to be defended, who shall rise to help them? Certainly not this selfish noble or those ''revolutionists'' outside.

ErrantX
2008-02-19, 10:31 AM
Liu Shen

"I am a diplomat for the Earth Kingdom and a lieutenant in the military. I've since been pressed into these diplomatic duties due to the need for combat capable folks who can at all talk, to ease folks minds in these troubled time. My aims in this place are to attempt to broker peace in the region, between the disgruntled peasantry, the wealthy landowners, and the bandits and Chin's ex-military which are littered across the country." Liu Shen paused, taking an appraising sip of his tea before continuing to drink it.

"Ideally, I'd like to resolve all of the instability in this area bloodlessly, however, I am not so naive to believe that it will be without conflict. I would be extremely pleased if we could all work together towards this end, as we have some similar goals. What say all of you?"

Sir Shadow
2008-02-19, 11:45 AM
Aaron Lee

Aaron had considered ordering tea before, but thought better of it when he saw the price. He wasn't thirsty anyways. So instead, he sat cross-legged in his chair with his guitar in his lap. Every so often his hand would just brush the strings, giving off a faint hum that he listened to with a discerning ear.

The other half of his attention was on the three seated around his table. They spoke of wanting to bring peace to the region, and that was nice, but when would there ever be peace? There were always bandits or some other force threatening the land. And he had to wonder if they really just wanted to help. It's so much easier when you know someone's dishonest, then you can expect them to be dishonest.

Well... He said quietly, I'd like some monetary compensation... at least when we're done... ...

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-19, 12:21 PM
Sazun listened to Master Shen's story and goals toward their tasks, and chuckled at the artist's comment. ''You really are into money, aren't you?'', she asked him. ''By the way, Mister Earthbender, does burning a foe to ashes count as a ''bloodless victory?'' I'm just kidding!'' She took a more serious tone: ''I am ready to walk this path, as long as it will take.''

ninjatoman
2008-02-19, 09:52 PM
Rikku
Rikku listen with attention the noble warrior speak and say:
You can count with me. It is a opportunity to me help the Kingdom to restabilish. You are a kind of people very rare today.
In this moment he saw that a strange man don't stop look them, and pay attention on him to see any suspect movement, and say with a low voice:
This guy is following us and are looking for us since we seat on the table.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-19, 10:09 PM
Aaron Lee

At Ms. Inako's words, the boy blushed and stared intently into the strings of his guitar. His fingers absently plucked at them, and his eyebrows furrowed as if he was pondering something of great importance.

... I guess it couldn't hurt to knock some bandit heads in... He mumbled.

As Rikku spoke, Aaron found it hard not to turn and immediately look at the guy he was describing. He acted casually, but read the others faces to see exactly where the man was behind him and if he seemed like a threat or not. One of his hands trailed down to the dagger holster on his thigh... just in case.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Just in case I can notice anything, or maybe anyone familiar that Aaron can see...

Noble Savant
2008-02-20, 12:42 AM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi would have found it amusing if he hadn't been so tense. He was one of the people the group was hoping to find, one of Chin's ex-soldiers.

He had followed the group into the tavern sitting at the table opposite them, watching. He didn't even notice that they were looking at him.

It was terrible for him. Life had been simple until now. He always knew what he needed to do. People had told him what was right, and he did it. Now, life was filled with decisions and doubts. He couldn't bear it. Hungrily, he stared at the group, hoping that he could follow them, and make things simple again.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-20, 10:37 AM
Aaron Lee
Stealing quick glances around the room, you notice a rather short, lithe man seated at a nearby table. He's clad in faded brown clothes reinforced by strips of leather and small steel rings, with a pair of steel vambraces on his wrists. Every time you look in his direction, you see his eyes focused on your table.

ErrantX
2008-02-20, 11:13 AM
Liu Shen

For Meph:

What is the floor of the teahouse like? Is it a dirt or stone floor, or is it wooden?

Liu Shen rubs his feet on the floor idly at his seat. "Why Miss Inako, whatever gave you the impression that I was an earthbender?" he said quietly. "Shall we invite our onlooker over here to talk like a civilized man or should we let him sit and watch like a dog left in the rain?"

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-20, 01:28 PM
Sazun Inako

Sazun watched the man Liu Shen was reffering to. ''He's right, you know! Grab a chair and join us!'', she told. ''Oh, and about your question, it was female intuition, knowledge that high rank officers always have Bending training and the marks on your hands and feet. And your favorite color is green.'' She lifted her arms over her head in a goofy mystical way and said in a strange accent: ''Fearr me, for I know all yourr deepest secrrets!''

Sorry about the metagaming, X, I just forgot this info hadn't been freed yet...:smallredface:

Noble Savant
2008-02-20, 04:19 PM
Arashi Koroda

Tonelessly Arashi got up from his table, and began walking towards the table where the group was sitting. He did it all by reflex, meanwhile, his thoughts were racing. "This is bad...What is going to happen now?! What if they..."

When he reached the group Arashi bowed to them, in the traditional style of Ba-Sing-Sei. He pulled up one of the chairs and sat down without a word. From here, he could look much for closely at all of these people. He wasn't sure of their intentions, so he sat there, and stared at them, waiting.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-20, 07:56 PM
Aaron Lee

As the man walked over to their table, the boy did his best to hide his tensing muscles from view. The man wasn't all that intimidating really, he just wanted to be ready in case a brawl broke out. Best not to dwell on Ms Inako's hospitality. Aaron figured this guy had already been listening in on the conversation.

Getting directions to where the most bandit activity is should be easy. When do we leave?

ErrantX
2008-02-21, 12:42 PM
Liu Shen

Liu Shen paused, considering the strangers at the table and rubbing his bearded chin before finally drawing a deep breath. "Well, I believe first we should find out who runs this town and announcing our intentions. This way, we should be able to operate a bit more freely. If the town overseer knows that we intend on quelling the bandit activity as well as trying to broker peace between his people and the soldiers here."

Noble Savant
2008-02-22, 02:59 PM
Arashi Koroda

This was something Arashi had experience in, and he felt that he had to add his knowledge to that of his new... commanders.

"That would not be wise" he told them, speaking with confidence. "It is possible that he is in league with the bandits themselves. Aiding them secretly for a cut of their profits. I've seen it happen before."

He inclined his head to them. "He could very well have you locked up before you finish speaking."

ninjatoman
2008-02-22, 09:11 PM
Rikku

He listened quietly until that moment, and say:
I agree with Arashi, I think we should operate secretly. But the main question is... How we can start??

Sir Shadow
2008-02-22, 11:36 PM
Aaron Lee

I'm forced to disagree... Aaron said timidly, well with some of it. I think we should not go to the mayer, but not for that reason. He is currently being pulled by both the nobles and the commoners and is being forced to do some things in certain respects. I say we simply follow the bounties! Most of the bandits we will found will have some sort of bounty at the local law enforcement, I've been looking at them recently. By simply following up the bounty we can eliminate one threat and relieve some of the pressure on the mayor's shoulder, and maybe get on his and the people's good side. By getting rid of the threat of bandits, people will be more open to discussion, especially since an emissary of the Earth King was directly involved! And it will also mean we don't have to directly associate ourselves with anyone at the moment and can move on our own without too much interference.

Not to mention the money from the bounties, the boy thought to himself. It was a good plan, he was sure.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-23, 08:19 AM
''But why would the bunties let us follow them? They aren't the most cooperative kind, you know.''

Sir Shadow
2008-02-23, 12:03 PM
I meant we follow up on the wanted posters not the bounty hunters... Aaron said quietly with a sigh.

ErrantX
2008-02-23, 04:28 PM
Liu Shen

Liu Shen strokes his beard as he considers the words of his companions before nodding. "I think you may be right, my good fellows. Perhaps working openly, at least from the get-go, might do us more harm than good. Let us endeavor to solve this issue involving the Treasurers first and then move on to other bounties."

He drinks the rest of his tea with some mild consideration. "Then let's take a little time to investigate on our own and return back here come dinner time, and discuss what we've learned. If we travel together while we do this, we may make the villagers nervous. Alone would be best." He rises from the table then, and sets his mug down along with a few copper coins.

"Let us be off then, and begin our work. We have much to do."

To Mephishobeth:
Alright, I suppose this is where Liu Shen will travel out and begin to speak to villagers regarding any information they may possess regarding the Treasurers. First I will try to make pleasantries with them before asking them the direct questions (i.e. Diplomacy to improve their reaction and then Gather Information).

[roll0] to improve their mood
[roll1] to get information about the Treasurers

ninjatoman
2008-02-23, 10:54 PM
Rikku

He listen Liu Shen and say:
You are right. I will start now, see you at the dinner.

He throw some coins at the table, go out from the tavern and call your raven-eagle. Then he starts walk in the city looking for someone that was using the symbol of the treasurers.

Search check: 1d20+2 = 11
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1505839/

Then go to the man that he bought some provisions and asked him:
Do you know something about the tresurers??

Sir Shadow
2008-02-24, 12:23 AM
Aaron Lee

Aaron nodded and excused himself quietly. He then returned to the square and played a few songs.


[roll0]
[roll1]


Afterwards, he would ask around from anyone that stopped to listen if they had heard any rumors about the treasurers. Throughout his life, Aaron had found there was always some bit of truth in gossip.


[roll2]

Noble Savant
2008-02-24, 08:48 AM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi, silently watched the little group disperse. They already seemed familiar with each other, even though he had seen them meet only minutes before-hand. Based on what he saw, it looked like either the woman, or the bearded man were in charge. Deciding quickly, he walked over to the woman.

"Please madam," he said, bowing again. "Allow me to serve you..." He held out his knife. "I am under your command." He told her simply.

"Life is simpler in this way. She knows better. I know nothing. She will decide, and I will follow her commands. I'm not good for anything else.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-24, 01:37 PM
Sazun Inako

Sazun was intrigued. This man was telling her he was under her command! She answered, happily replying to him:

''Great! Why don't we go out? I bet some merchant will be helpful to a beautiful lady and her bodyguard.'', Sazun said with a sultry smile.

Noble Savant
2008-02-25, 03:38 AM
Arashi Koroda

He smiled back at her rustily. "Of course, my lady." He gestured at the door to the inn. "Lead the way, and I'll follow. I'll try to be as guard-like as I can."

Straightening up, Arashi took his place behind Sazun, looking around like a cat. He hoped that that was guard-like enough.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-26, 12:28 PM
The group, having decided to try and track down the Earth Kingdom Treasurers, disperses from the tea shop as each member tries to gather information using their own methods. However, everyone you ask is surprisingly closed-mouthed about the activities of the Treasurers, and you are unable to glean more than tidbits of information. Those who do give you information almost always cast nervous glances around the room. Apparently the Treasurers are adept at sneaking close to town without anyone noticing and striking quickly. They often use explosives and smoke bombs to provide a screen of smoke and dust for their raids before moving into town, stealing and killing quickly before withdrawing before the town militia can respond. They like to strike a different and unpredictable locations, sometimes even launching two raids simultaneously.

Liu Shen, your investigations are slightly more successful, especially where you spend a little time cultivating relationships with the townsfolk before asking about the bandits. One man, a prominent shopkeeper named Hye Jin who owns a general store on the town square, expresses the opinion that the bandits strike more frequently among the homes and stores on the south side of town and in the estates just outside of town to the south. Other accounts seem to corroborate this, but no one seems completely certain of any information.

Aaron, you playing is able to net you 5 copper pieces and 1 silver piece, but even your songs are unable encourage people to talk about the Treasurers.

ninjatoman
2008-02-26, 09:37 PM
Rikku

After a long day without any good discover about the Treasurers he go to the tea shop wait for the others drinking a delicious tea.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-27, 12:43 AM
With a sigh, Aaron packed up his guitar and made his way to the tea shop. On his way he wondered what int he world had caused everyone to be so tight lipped about it? Did that mean the Treasurers had spies listening around? Or maybe the mayor didn't want people talking about it and the man really shouldn't be trusted? Far away threats didn't make people shut up. Something was up.

Entering the tea shop, Aaron quickly spotted a familiar face and joined him at the table. When a waiter arrived, the boy quickly shook his hand in a definite no. Slumping down, he cross his arms on the table and put his head down.

Find anything?

ninjatoman
2008-02-27, 09:20 PM
Rikku

When one of the group come near him, he answered:
No, I hadn't luck. I couldn't find nothing. The people don't want help us. We need find a method to follow one of the treasurers, but the big question is How?? And you... Did you find something??

ErrantX
2008-02-28, 03:45 PM
Liu Shen

Liu Shen strolls into the tea house, his face pensive as he sits at the table with Rikku and Aaron, and listens to the tail end of Rikku's words.

Speaking conspiratorially, he leans in to say, "I heard from a shopkeep that they tend to strike homes and stores to the southern end of town, and often will plan a two attacks in the same night, like a pincher or a diversion."

Leaning back in his chair, he orders an herbal tea and smiles back to the group. "I think we may have plan."

ninjatoman
2008-02-29, 10:05 PM
Rikku

He answered to Liu Shen:

I suggest that we go to the south today and prepare a ambush for the treasurers and try to get some track about them. We only need try to discover when the next attack will be to we have the chance of catch them.

Noble Savant
2008-03-01, 01:48 PM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi stood respectfully behind Sazun, watching the proceedings. He cleared his throat after hearing the results of the other's investigations.

"I don't think that an "ambush" will be effective. They will likely be in larger numbers then us." He told them thoughtfully.

"If my lady will agree - " He gave a small bow to Sazun. "-I recommend that we find a vantage point in the south side, and follow the group back to there hide-out. Then we can think up a plan of action."

Sir Shadow
2008-03-01, 05:46 PM
Aaron Lee

... but don't we have to follow them after they've attacked? So we defend the people and then let some of the Treasurer's men escape so we can follow them back... right?

Guyr Adamantine
2008-03-02, 03:09 PM
Sazun Inako

''Sounds good to me!''

Noble Savant
2008-03-03, 06:40 AM
Arashi Koroda

"Not really," he told Aaron calmly. "Then we risk them getting away. We simply observe, nothing else. It isn't wise to waste time."

Sir Shadow
2008-03-03, 09:35 PM
Aaron Lee

What??? There's no way I'm just going to sit back while bandits attack the town. I'm not the noble type, but its not right to do nothing if the opportunity presents itself. As for "not wasting time" it would probably be faster to kick them out and follow them than to wait for them to finish pillaging and then make their way back to their base. We want them to get away in any case. That's how we're going to follow them.

Mephibosheth
2008-03-05, 12:27 AM
The party makes its way south through the town, discussing and laying plans as they go. After about a 20 minute walk, you arrive on the outskirts of town. It is late evening and, although there are still people out in the streets, you notice that the town is quieter and far less crowded here. If you look carefully, you notice that the people still out of doors seem wary and frightened, their eyes darting around and their movements furtive.

After another 10 minutes of walking, you leave the town itself and find yourselves on a wide dirt road that leads through a country dominated by small hills and grassy fields. You can see a few large homes surrounded by stone walls between 10 and 20 feet high, but these are spaced relatively far apart. Everything seems quiet.

Noble Savant
2008-03-08, 04:08 PM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi raised his eyebrow, staring at the musician. "So the wealthy lose some money, I fail to see how anyone gets hurt." He said skeptically. "Besides, these are trained thieves. They'll disappear at the first sign of trouble." He smiled slightly. "Trust me, I have... experience."

OOC: Sorry about that little break, I've been preparing for a camping trip down south.

Sir Shadow
2008-03-08, 04:20 PM
Aaron Lee

These are bandits, they destroy things! They don't sneak around, they come out in full force! and this comes from my experience...

Now that they had arrived at the outskirts of civilization, Aaron was starting to feel anxious. If the nobles got upset, they'd make life miserable for everyone else...

ErrantX
2008-03-11, 10:38 AM
Liu Shen

"As I am a soldier, I have little experience in banditry. I would prefer a straight up fight myself. However, if we could capture one of them and gather information from them quickly, then we could follow the thieves back to their lair before they have to time to scatter. We should endeavor to minimize property damage, but not make ourselves nuisance as well. While I understand Aaron... I am afraid I must agree with Arashi." Liu Shen considered his next words carefully, stroking his beard. He did not want to offend or aggravate Aaron anymore than he already was, yet wanted to find a compromise between the old soldier and the minstrel.

"But I won't stand back either if they attempt to harm anyone, thievery is one thing. We can get people's belongings back to them, but loss of life is not going to be tolerated. I'll need your help Aaron, if we need to protect the townsfolk."

Sir Shadow
2008-03-11, 11:16 PM
Aaron Lee

Aaron frowned slightly but nodded with a dejected look on his face. There wasn't any way he could argue with two people out of the four companions. With a sigh, he looked around carefully to try and notice anything out of the ordinary--other than the noticably few amount of people.


[roll0]
[roll1]

Noble Savant
2008-03-16, 04:09 PM
Arashi Koroda

Arashi nodded grimly. "Very well then. We can plan out the specifics later, cover is what we need now." He turned at bowed in Sazun. "Unless of course, My lady has any objections?"

Mephibosheth
2008-03-18, 08:47 AM
The group makes their way between the walled estates until Aaron finds a relatively sheltered area in the hollow back of a hill a short distance from the road. There, they settle down to make camp for the evening. After pitching their tents and rolling out their bedrolls, the group settles into their sleep and watch rotations.

The night is quiet for the most part. One or two wealthy nobles ride past the groupís campsite after late nights in town, but none seem to spot the group and no one else is on the road.

About an hour before dawn, your sleep is interrupted by a loud crashing sound. Liu Shen, who is on watch, can see a plume of smoke and the red glow of flames against the lightening sky to the south.

OOC:
I want to apologize for my neglect of this game of late. I donít really have a good excuse, just a bunch of little things that combined with my own tendency to procrastination and I let the games get away from me. Iím going to make a concerted effort to be more active henceforth. Again, Iím sorry.

Sir Shadow
2008-03-18, 04:17 PM
Aaron Lee

As the sound echoed across their camp, Aaron sat straight up from his mat, hands instantly flying to his daggers. Realizing the threat was not in the immediate area, Aaron quicky stuffed his things away and got ready to move. Nearing the edge of the campsite he looked toward the smoke trying to make out anything.


Great to have you back meph
[roll0]

Mephibosheth
2008-03-18, 07:28 PM
Aaron:
If you stare hard enough, you can see what looks like a high stone wall at the base of the gigantic plume of smoke. At this distance and given the hills slightly obscuring the view, you can't tell what the wall is a part of, but it seems to be at or near the source of the smoke.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-03-18, 08:27 PM
Sazun Inako

Sazun listened to her ''assistant'' and swiftly replied:'' I've put tactics away from my life since long, so you get to decide, dear!''

ErrantX
2008-03-22, 10:17 AM
Liu Shen

Gathers his few unpacked belongings and straps his massive Gunryuu to his back. "We must move swiftly if we are to catch any of them unaware!" With this, the large man motions for his friends to follow him as he runs to the source of the smoke.

Mephibosheth
2008-03-24, 10:12 AM
The party moves quickly to gather what belongings have been spread about the campsite before setting off in the direction of the plume of smoke. After only a few minutes of hard running, the group arrives on the top of a hill that affords a good view of the source of the smoke and flame.

Before you is what appears to be the estate of a wealthy merchant. A manor house sits at the center of a well-kept garden and yard, with the whole complex surrounded by a high stone wall with a wooden walkway running along the top of the wall. The southwestern corner of the wall has apparently been destroyed by explosives, leaving a gaping hole in the stonework and setting the walkway on fire.

In the gap in the wall you can see a small mass of humanity pushing back and forth for control of the opening. Sword and spear blades glint in the firelight as bandits clash with the guards hired by the merchant. The guards seem to be heavily outnumbered, though it is difficult to tell in the firelight who is a guard and who is a bandit.

OOC:
From your vantage point on the top of the hill to the merchant's compound is a distance of approximately 500 feet. I'm not quite sure what you guys decided to do once you found some bandits to follow. If you wish to join in the fighting, let me know and roll initiative, and I'll provide more detailed information and maps.

Sir Shadow
2008-03-24, 10:56 AM
Aaron Lee

Well, what now? should we try to sneakily capture a bandit? or wait til this whole thing is over?

Aaron felt just a tad better that it was a wealthy merchant being attacked by the bandits, than normal people... although he had to had some sympathy for those pathetic guards. With a sigh, he cocked his head and put his hand on his chin, as if thinking about something.

Noble Savant
2008-03-29, 06:57 AM
Arashi Koroda

"We wait of course, though it wouldn't hurt to get a bit closer. We don't want to lose them when they finish." He looked over at Aaron. "Then we can enter their hideout and cause as much damage as you wish." He told him, smiling slightly.