PDA

View Full Version : [Invocations] Prismatic Blast

Burley
2008-02-14, 12:08 PM
I'm having some trouble with this one, mostly because I don't have the actual outline for invocations with me. Anyways, I was inspired by prismatic spray, and thought it'd be a cool invocation. I love spells and class abilities that give random results. (Rod of Wonder is my favorite toy, everyday.)
Here's what I have:

Prismatic Blast
Eldritch Essense (Greater)
Summoning up the chaotic energies within you, you channel your blast with swirling prismatic designs.
After rolling your attack roll, roll 1d8 and consult the table below:

d8 Color/Effect
1 Red: +1d6 fire damage
2 Orange: +2d6 acid damage
3 Yellow: +4d6 electricity damage
4 Green: Poison (2d6 Con, Fortitude partial, 1d6 instead)
5 Blue: Turned to Stone for 1d6+Cha rounds (Fortitude Negates)
6 Indigo: Insane, as Insanity Spell, however, remove curse
DOES remove insanity (Will Negates)
7 Violet: Teleport to random location within 50 miles (Will
Negates)
8 Clear: +1d6 Sonic, and roll 1d4 for extra effect (using the
above table's effects 1-4.)

If you roll a 1,2,3 or 4, you add the stated effect to your normal damage.
If you roll a 5, you roll your damage BEFORE the target turns to stone.
If you roll a 6, target takes NO damage if they become insane. (If the target fails his will save, they take damage as normal.)

Is it too powerful? Too weak? I tried to stay close to the spell, without overpowering an Essense, mainly by only adding d6, instead of flat damage. Also, planar shift and permanent effects don't normally show up in invocations, so I tweak those.
8 is the one I'm having the most anxiety about. Should I add another d6 to make it more worth it, allow the effects 5,6, and 7? Or is it okay?

PLEASE HELP!

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-02-14, 12:30 PM
As long as each individual effect of the prismatic blast is about as strong as taking 2 negative levels with save for none, the prismatic blast shouldn't be more powerful than Utterdark Blast.

That said, effects 1-3 are OK.
Effect 4 is too powerful. Lower to 2d4, save for none.
Effect 5 is too powerful. Lower to 2d4 dexterity damage, save for none, targets reduced to 0 dexterity are turned to stone.
Effect 6 is too powerful. Reduce to 2d4 wisdom damage, save for none, targets reduced to 0 wisdom are insane anyway.
Effect 7 is too powerful. Reduce to random Dimension Door and loses next action.
Effect 8 is OK.

Burley
2008-02-14, 01:36 PM
Cool. That's what I'll do! But...not above, because I want other people to judge it, as well.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 04:05 PM
The fixes make it balanced. I see nothing wrong with it.

Deathtouched
2008-02-14, 08:13 PM
I like it. I've never played a warlock, but I understand the invocations and this would be a good addition. Prismatic stuff is always fun, who doesn't love chance in spells? I'd hope for the insanity. The sonic addition is cool too.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 08:57 PM
Yeah, the prismatic spells are fun.

Burley
2008-02-15, 10:41 AM
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
You all have made me SOOO happy. Now, if I can just find a DM that allows homebrews...

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 02:04 PM
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
You all have made me SOOO happy. Now, if I can just find a DM that allows homebrews...

You don't have a DM that allows Homebrews? o_O