PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] And the lion shall lay with the lamb...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-14, 10:02 PM
Leopvi

Large Magical Beast (extraplanar, psionic)
Hit Dice: 7d10+21 (59 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (+8 deflection, +4 dex, +5 natural, -1 size), touch 21, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+12
Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d6+5) or Bite +11 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d6+5), bite +6 melee (1d8+2), and 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of peace, gentle grab, make love not war, pounce, psi-like abilities, rake 1d4+2, velvet paws
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +8
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 26
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +13, Diplomacy +16, Hide +12, Jump +13, Listen +9, Move Silently +12, Spot +9
Feats: Ability Focus (make love, not war), Iron Will, Leap of the Heavens (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Leap_Of_The_Heavens,PH2)
Environment: Blessed Fields of Elyssium
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral good
Advancement: 8-19 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

This appears as a somewhat felinoid creature covered in a thick fleece of tight golden curls. It has the head of a ram framed with an enormous mane of wavey locks. Emerging from the mane are a pair of great, curling horns that are padded with soft down. Its muzzle however is filled with predatory fangs, and its hooves are cloven in three, which end in sharp points. The eyes though are large and dewy, with a look of wise gentleness.

Leopvi are a creature that can only be birthed within the Elysium Fields where even former great enemies find peace with one another. They are a symbol of peace and understanding between foes. Despite this they are mighty in battle, but ones who hold to the saying that a true warrior hates to do harm.

Leaopvi are 6 to 10 feet long and weighs 500 to 750 pounds. They speak celestial and common.

Combat
A leopvi, if at all possible tries to simply walk into battle and urge it to simply stop. Enemies into friends is then a leopvi's next goal. However, if this is unattainable he will attack with great care and capture those that oppose him.

Aura of Peace (Ex): A leopvi is constantly surrounded by a calming aura to a radius of 60 feet. Creatures within the aura must make a successful DC 21 will save or be affected as by the calm emotions spell. Creatures who leave the aura and reenter it receive new saving throws. A creature that makes a successful saving throw and remains in the aura is uneffected until it leaves the aura and reenters. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Gentle Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a leopvi must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake or it may attempt to simply hold the opponent without penalty.

Make Love, Not War (Su): A leopvi can attempt to bring peace between two enemies within 100 feet of each other. At least one of the targets must succeed on a DC 23 Will save or have their very souls intertwined by fate. If either experiences pain, both feel it. When one loses hit points, the other loses the same amount. If one takes nonlethal damage, so does the other. If one is subjected to an effect to which it is immune (such as a type of energy damage), the intertwined creature is not subjected to it either. If one dies, the other must immediately succeed on a DC 23 Fortitude save or gain two negative levels.

As well, both are considered to be Charmed by the other for the 24 hours. One who makes their save against this ability cannot be targeted again for 24 hours. A leopvi cannot target itself with this ability.

This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Pounce (Ex): If a leopvi charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Psi-like Abilities: Manifester level equal to HD. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At Will - Attraction (DC 19), Empathy.
3/day - Empathic Feedback.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +6 melee, damage 1d4+2.

Speak with Animals (Su): This ability works like speak with animals (caster level 7th) but is a free action and does not require sound.

Velvet Paws (Ex): A leopvi may deal subdual damage with any attack, and takes no penalty.

Skills: Leopvi have a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Diplomacy, Hide, Jump, and Move Silently checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +14.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-02-14, 10:13 PM
Ooh. Wow. Just, wow. Very nice creature you have here; finally something to make the good guys something other than bad guys with a good cause.

Just a nitpick, though. Velvet Paws will get impractical with constructs, undead, etc. Maybe it would be better if you simply stated that a leopvi can deal subdual damage without penalty, and will do so whenever possible.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-15, 12:21 AM
Just a nitpick, though. Velvet Paws will get impractical with constructs, undead, etc. Maybe it would be better if you simply stated that a leopvi can deal subdual damage without penalty, and will do so whenever possible.
Good point, had forgotten about that. Adjusted.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 01:23 AM
This is another awesome creature. Keep them comming ^^

SurlySeraph
2008-02-15, 07:33 PM
Awwww... cool. This a great creature; I'd love to see it used in an evil campaign.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-15, 09:13 PM
How long does the soul binding effect last for Make Love, Not War?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 09:46 PM
I thought that was permanant. It makes sense though... i think...

Ephraim
2008-02-17, 02:20 AM
I think that there ought to be some more thought invested in the "Make Love, Not War" ability. My gripe is that it has "flagrant plot device" written all over it. If a Leopvi shows up and uses this ability on one of the characters and one of the bad guys, the players almost have no choice but to make that bad guy an NPC member of the party.

From a mechanical standpoint, it gets even worse. What if the high-level fighter is bonded with a low-level wizard? All of a sudden, the fighter's effective hit points are drastically reduced to those of the wizard. (If the wizard dies, the fighter risks losing two levels, so because their hit points are linked, the fighter can't risk taking any more damage than the wizard could survive.)

At the very least, the bond should work both ways. If one gets healed, the other should also get healed. I think I'd rather see the ability toned down, though. Keep the ability that generates a penalty for the survivor if either of them dies, but get rid of the linked hit points. Have them feel each other's pain only a little bit.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-17, 02:53 AM
Hmm.... I like it the way it is. I think he designed this as a DM-only creature. I think....

Faithdreamer
2008-02-17, 06:14 AM
Criticism
As wonderful as this monster sounds on your ears there is a definite evil to it. You've taken away their ability to choose, understand and learn what it is to be truly good. The servant no longer takes as much pride in their work or the tools they use to teach.
As Hades might say (even though I don't like him or their anything) you've given this Leopvi a way to be a tyrant.

Wonderful idea and crunch Tribble, you're very talented and any company would be blessed to have your work.

Magnor Criol
2008-02-17, 10:37 AM
I agree that Make Love, Not War should work both ways; healing gained by one should be gained by the other, though if one receives more healing than the other has hit points it should not result in temporary hit points. Also, I think a duration, or some periodic chance to re-make the save and break the effect, should be allowed. Is there any way to lift it? Break Enchantment, or maybe Wish/Miracle?

In the aura of peace, if a creature succeeds on its save and attacks another creature who failed it, does that creature being attacked receive a new save, or does it just sit there and take it?

An interesting ability would be to let it force another save, perhaps at a higher DC, against its Aura of Calm if it has a creature in its Gentle Grab. This would let it enforce the aura by Gentle Grabbing any creatures who succeed.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-17, 11:46 AM
Here I was going to say "Make Love, Not War is almost identicle to the Psionic Power Fate Link, why not just make it exactly the same?" Then I went to the SRD to provide a link and, low and behold, you used the SRD's wording for the power so not only is it almost the same, it really is the same.

Anyway, good show, as always. I'm definitely a fan of your work on the Homebrew forum here.

I like the idea that Gently Grab forces another save at a higher DC.

I personally think that your should break Make Love, Not War into two abilities:

1) Making two enemies be treated as charmed by each other for 24 hours. Usable either at will or 3/day, your choice.

2) The Fate Link part of it.
A) Usable at will or 3/day, your choice, if the normal duration of Fate Link (70 minutes if you treat HD as Caster Level).
OR
B) Usable 1/day if permanent.

I'd go with A, personally. B should only be used on PCs if the player and DM agree on it or it's a major plot device and the DM does it well. Even then it should be remivable with a Wish/Miracle and maybe other ways as well.

All in all, great job, I love it.

Maybe one day I'll run a campaign using only your homebrew and treat it as one big playtest for all these awesome things I've seem you create, but have never seen in play. Of course you would be formally invited. Also, that's assuming you don't mind me running a game dedicated to your work. I was already planning on using your Broken template as a pretty major part of my Hombrew world... I've been meaning to PM you... [/off topic]