PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms

twerk_face
2008-02-15, 12:53 PM
Ok this thread is sort of a two part question.

First, out of curiosity, do any of the FR books NOT take place in Faerun?

And Second, I am a huge fan of the Drizzt books (I know they are not high quality literature by any means, but they are pulpy fun), and I really like the realms, so was wondering if anybody knew any other GOOD forgoten realms books. I tried reading some others and didn't like them (they were just awful, like retching awful), but i think there must be SOME other good ones.
Anybody know of any??

Morty
2008-02-15, 01:19 PM
If you haven't read it yet, War of The Spider Queen isn't bad. It's not very good either, but it's a fun read.

KIDS
2008-02-15, 02:00 PM
I generally dislike the "by a movie/campaign setting/video game" books but gems can be found inside. This is because most of these are 'support material', thus there are not many criteria concerning style, editing is 'just to get it done' and people without experience are hired. All the flaws that haunt this particular niche...

Regardless. Despite all of that, there are some good good good books in the same niche, they need to be recognized.

1. No idea

2. I very much like Drizzt as well and eagerly recommend you the [i]War of the Spider Queen[i] series, made by various authors in cooperation with R.A.S. The quality varies from book to book (there are 6 I think), I found first 3 immensely fun, original and rather well-written, and declining slowly after that. But I do heartily recommend them still :)

p.s. I don't know about retching ones, for example I found the books about the Moonblade rather weak, Canticle series so-so and Time of Troubles series completely horrible.

factotum
2008-02-15, 04:31 PM
Isn't the entire definition of the Forgotten Realms that they take place on Faerun? It's not like Greyhawk where they changed the setting from time to time, as far as I know, and if they went outside Faerun using some other means then you're into Planescape or Spelljammer territory.

Mukluk
2008-02-15, 05:13 PM
Isn't the entire definition of the Forgotten Realms that they take place on Faerun? It's not like Greyhawk where they changed the setting from time to time, as far as I know, and if they went outside Faerun using some other means then you're into Planescape or Spelljammer territory.

No not really, I mean most of them do, but Faerun is a continent not the world, so I think the OP is asking if any books take place in Maztica, Kara-Tur or Zakhara. Some older books (back when TSR ran the show) do indeed take place on these other continents but I can't remember titles.

Serenity
2008-02-15, 05:14 PM
No, by definition, a Forgotten Realms story has to take place on the world of Toril. No reason it has to be on Fearun. It could happen, for example, in Maztica or Kara-Tur.

thorgrim29
2008-02-15, 06:44 PM
Good books? try the spellfire trilogy. The clerics quintet was also pretty good. MAYBE some of the elminster books (the making of a mage and elminster's daughter mainly) if you can take the mary Sueness, but not Elminster in hell, that book is just plain awfull. I also like Starlight and shadows, the story of a Gromph baenre's daughter who flees the Underdark, pretty decent. I enjoyed the year of rogue dragons series. You might also want to read Cormyr, a novel, it's surprisingly well written and contains a lot of background info on Cormyr and the ruling clan.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-15, 06:56 PM
I like the various Dungeon series of books, they're all stories about various dungeons by different authors. Also I liked the War of the Spider Queen series, as well as the Starlight & Shadows series, as well as The Twilight War series, only two books are out still waiting for the third, and the protagonists are featured in other books (like the Erevus Cale trilogy/series, which I haven't read) the first book in the Haunted Lands series Unclean was good, its all about Thay which I think is interesting, the other 2-4 books aren't out yet though. Also I loved the Return of the Archwizards series.

EvilElitest
2008-02-15, 07:29 PM
Nothing by Ed greenwood or featuring Elminister, trust me
from
EE

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-15, 07:54 PM
Prince of Lies
Great fun. This is set after Cyric and Midnight have been elevated to godhood following the Time of Troubles. It details the intrigues and plots of the Faerunian pantheon and it's rather entertaining as the gods like tampering with the mortal sphere and bear human-like characteristics like those of Greek gods. Gods all each have their own little foibles and their own mythos. Did I mention intrigue? Yes, gods are quite busy plotting against one another. Bears a rather interesting subplot about what happens to the mortals of Toril after death from the perspective of a Gwydion The Quick (did I spell that right?).

Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad
Sequel to Prince of Lies. The god Cyric has been accused of incompetence in discharging his duties as the god of discord, lies, intrigue, strife and generally evil stuff by way of Innocence. The trial is presided over by Tyr (God of Justice) and Helm (God of Duty). The gods are up to their plots again and are hoping to lynch Cyric. The good gods for the usual reasons. The evil gods are eying his powers and portfolio. Meanwhile, Cyric commands one of his more pathetic worshipers into preparing a trap for his fellow gods, goading the poor fellow with fear and supernatural aide. (Which is humorous later because Malik gains immunity to all harm due to Tyr's protection over as an "important material witness" and has truth-compelling magic foisted on him by Mystra.)

Finder's Bane
The first in the Finder's series of books. I've only read the first, but it's rather interesting to read from the get-go. Again this book concerns itself with the gods, just from a more priestly perspective. Joel is a new bard-priest for the newcomer god, Finder, a force for bardic stuff and change. Joel meets Holly, a paladin of Lathander, and are soon embroiled in a plot to resurrect the dead god of hatred and tyranny, Bane.

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-15, 09:58 PM
The Moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles is fantastic. It's an older series, but is brilliantly done with lots of detail and many interesting characters.

The premise is that on the Moonshae islands off the coast of Faerun (I think) an ancient evil serving Bhaal awakens and seeks to destroy the people of the islands, and it turns into a great battle between good and evil (TM).

EvilElitest
2008-02-15, 10:27 PM
The Moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles is fantastic. It's an older series, but is brilliantly done with lots of detail and many interesting characters.

The premise is that on the Moonshae islands off the coast of Faerun (I think) an ancient evil serving Bhaal awakens and seeks to destroy the people of the islands, and it turns into a great battle between good and evil (TM).

Seriously? Moonshae had potential, but sold itself short because of its 2-D characters and vague writing, the ideas are good but it fails in practice. And Bhaal is so much cooler in the Baldur's gate series, less beast like and more human
from
EE

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-15, 10:47 PM
Seriously? Moonshae had potential, but sold itself short because of its 2-D characters and vague writing, the ideas are good but it fails in practice. And Bhaal is so much cooler in the Baldur's gate series, less beast like and more human
from
EE

Bah. Well, I liked it. :-P

RTGoodman
2008-02-15, 10:57 PM
I tried to read some other FR novels after enjoying the few Driz'zt books I read, but I couldn't really get into them. I thought the Avatar series (about the Time of Troubles) was poorly written and just so bad that I couldn't get past the beginning of the second book.

On the other hand, I did enjoy what I read of the Cleric Quintet (also by Salvatore). I read the first two, but never actually bought any of the others, so I can't tell you if they go downhill or anything.

comicshorse
2008-02-15, 11:22 PM
On the other hand, I did enjoy what I read of the Cleric Quintet (also by Salvatore). I read the first two, but never actually bought any of the others, so I can't tell you if they go downhill or anything.
I enjoyed the third but lost interest in the fourth when the main character discovers he can do pretty much anything he wants with his magic. ( He discovers this by de-aging a Red dragon)

Athaniar
2008-02-16, 06:02 AM
I haven't ready many (any) Realms books other than the Drizzt (why are so many people putting apostrophes in the name?) and Entreri spinoffs, but I can at least say this: don't read the Enterei (Sellsword) books unless you really like über-depressing books. Especially the last one.

Gorbash
2008-02-16, 08:07 AM
Anything featuring Erevis Cale. And Drasek Riven, of course. Halls of the Stormweather to begin with, then Shadow's Witness, then the whole Erevis Cale trilogy (a fantastic read), followed by the Twilight Wars trilogy (2 out of 3 published)... I really can't decide which trilogy is better... Maybe Twilight Wars because it's more epic, but Erevis Cale is pretty damn good too, and they're fighting some pretty cool villains there (Azriim is teh badass)...

JadedDM
2008-02-16, 10:11 AM
I always liked the Finder Stone's trilogy, which starts with "Curse of the Azure Bonds." Also, if you like R.A. Salvatore's work (the guy who writes the Drizzt books), then I'd also recommend the Cleric Quintet, too.

EmeraldRose
2008-02-16, 10:20 AM
Some of the books do end up on other planes, or sort of crossed with Spelljammer...For instance, in the Finder's books the characters end up plane jumping and are in Sigil for a bit, and of course there is Evermeet, which is off somewhere in the ocean, and I think it's in that one that there is a Spelljammer...

There are times they go into the different races of elves, including the star elves, and the history of the race on Toril, wherein they came from other dimensions and worlds.

comicshorse
2008-02-16, 11:16 AM
but I can at least say this: don't read the Enterei (Sellsword) books unless you really like über-depressing books. Especially the last one.

Really having finally dug them out ( so I could remember the names) I was going to recommend these heartily.
Granted they are grittier than the average DnD novel, but its nice to see some author showing that being wounded hurts, losing your comrades renders people helpless with grief and what life is like among the people who don't have world-altering magic or magical gear.
Exciting, intelligent fight scenes, political wrangling and that most devoius of heroes/villains Jarlaxe. Loved them

Souju
2008-02-16, 11:39 AM
Starlight and Shadows was a pretty good trilogy, as others mentioned. Liriel isn't as deep a character as Drizzt, but her barbarian friend (i can't remember his name) is pretty interesting. Of course Drizzt has, what 12+ books that he stars or plays a big role in, and Liriel is barely ever even MENTIONED outside SaS, though it is nice to see a female drow that isn't some kind of dominatrix

EvilElitest
2008-02-16, 11:58 AM
I enjoyed the third but lost interest in the fourth when the main character discovers he can do pretty much anything he wants with his magic. ( He discovers this by de-aging a Red dragon)

True that, but the very last book is very good
from
EE

comicshorse
2008-02-16, 12:05 PM
You know I was so disapointed with the fourth I didn't even try the last.
Hmmm, I'll have to give it a go now. Ta

FdL
2008-02-16, 01:04 PM
I haven't ready many (any) Realms books other than the Drizzt (why are so many people putting apostrophes in the name?) and Entreri spinoffs, but I can at least say this: don't read the Enterei (Sellsword) books unless you really like über-depressing books. Especially the last one.

I'm into the Paths of Darkness "trilogy" and Im beginning Servant of the Shard. Why do you say these are depressing? (please let's keep this spoiler-free)

EvilElitest
2008-02-16, 01:16 PM
I'm into the Paths of Darkness "trilogy" and Im beginning Servant of the Shard. Why do you say these are depressing? (please let's keep this spoiler-free)

Your good until Servent of the Shard is over
from
EE

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-16, 03:23 PM
Whatever you do though, don't read the novelisation of Baldurs gate...or if you want to, make sure you never played the game first. If you have you will hate it.

CaptainSam
2008-02-16, 05:05 PM
Don't forget the Rogues series. Enjoyable all round. Spellfire trilogy? Don't get me started! Gah! Ed Greenwood is fantastic at making up characters and background, but he can't write for toffee! How many ways does he come up with for referring to Shandril? I lost count!

EvilElitest
2008-02-16, 05:17 PM
Whatever you do though, don't read the novelisation of Baldurs gate...or if you want to, make sure you never played the game first. If you have you will hate it.

It is the manifestation of evil, the bane of intellect and literature
from
EE

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-16, 08:05 PM
It is the manifestation of evil, the bane of intellect and literature
from
EE

I admit, due to a mix up I read the third one first...but by the first quarter was over I was so ticked off...

There were only three parts I enjoyed.

1) Ilasera's being an archer
2) Abazigal's being a mage
3) Balthazar handing Abdel his ass

EvilElitest
2008-02-16, 11:43 PM
I admit, due to a mix up I read the third one first...but by the first quarter was over I was so ticked off...

There were only three parts I enjoyed.

1) Ilasera's being an archer
2) Abazigal's being a mage
3) Balthazar handing Abdel his ass

It is the Uwe Boll of Video game books
from
EE

Blayze
2008-02-17, 09:24 AM
I can vouch for that. The Baldur's Gate books are so bad that reading mere snippets of them caused my chronic procrastination to freeze up for a few, brief moments, as I suddenly became driven to show that guy what he was doing wrong by writing a *real* story based on the games. In fact, I think I've still got the first chapter around here somewhere... That must have been a few years ago.

I seem to remember characters changing randomly in all sorts of ways, many designed merely to help the books sell. I was told about a lesbian relationship between Bodhi and Imoen, amongst other things.

Catskin
2008-02-17, 11:34 AM
twerk, Which books did you read that you hated? Check Candlekeep (http://forum.candlekeep.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6) book forums for wickedly knowledgable info on the books. I agree that the books are hit and miss. Let us know if you find another that you like.

I think that if you liked the first Drizzt series, you'll like the first Moonshae one. Personally I didn't really like either (but read them for info on the setting/gaming world--they do provide that).

I want to second (or third, whatever) the recommendation of Spellfire. It introduces a lot of folks and themes and is action packed. Less action packed but really wonderfully written is Cormyr: A Novel. E. Cunningham's Evermeet is my favorite, but it's not for everyone. It does, however briefly, take place outside of Toril. Spelljammers!

EvilElitest
2008-02-17, 11:35 AM
I can honestly say i could write a more accurate book than that
from
EE

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-17, 03:38 PM
It is the Uwe Boll of Video game books
from
EE

I am laughing now. XD

Pendragonx
2008-02-17, 04:23 PM
Less action packed but really wonderfully written is Cormyr: A Novel.

I second this recommendation. A great read - especially if you like history.