View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 32: Chile II vs. JSB

ArenaManager
2008-02-15, 02:25 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 26: Chile II vs. JSB

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

chilepepper - Chile II (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8505)
Talic - JSB (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3019)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

chilepepper
2008-02-15, 07:13 PM
Of course, why wouldn't we be thrown up against each other again in the first match. Too bad you changed your race, it would've been interesting to have a little kobold on kobold action.

Init - [roll0]

Talic
2008-02-15, 08:15 PM
Hey, I'm still a kobold at heart. Just a little bigger, with pointy ears now.

Initiative [roll0]

Spell choice for the round:

Level 0
Sonic Snap x2
Touch of Fatigue x3

Level 1
Sonic Blast x2
Cause Fear x2
Ray of Enfeeblement x1

Equipped Items (at this point):
1 scroll (held)

Since we're both poor, you got any purchases? Wow, that's a mighty big horse you got there. Question, I note on your draconic breath that your draconic heritage isn't an elemental damage type. What's your draconic breath element choice?

EDIT: Oh, and I don't believe that mount HP are maximized at 1st level. That should put the horse down to a less imposing 13 HP, per it's SRD entry.

chilepepper
2008-02-15, 08:56 PM
Since we're both poor, you got any purchases? Wow, that's a mighty big horse you got there. Question, I note on your draconic breath that your draconic heritage isn't an elemental damage type. What's your draconic breath element choice?

EDIT: Oh, and I don't believe that mount HP are maximized at 1st level. That should put the horse down to a less imposing 13 HP, per it's SRD entry.

"If the breath weapon of your draconic forebears
does not deal acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, you choose
from among the four energy types mentioned above." "As a standard action, you can convert an arcane spell slot into a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a 30-foot cone (cold or fire) or a 60-foot line (acid or electricity)..." Since my heritage is force, I'm not bound by a type. As a standard action... the breath weapon is cone... or line...

You're probably right about the PONY (not horse). Feel free to ask a high ref about it. I've posted initiative, so I can't change it.

edit: actually, I may purchase something.

edit2: Purchases: and thank god I looked because I forgot a spell component pouch when I made the character.
Starting with 10g
1 Spell Component Pouch, 5g, 1#
1 Spear, 2g, 3#
Gold left: 3

Talic
2008-02-15, 09:50 PM
"If the breath weapon of your draconic forebears
does not deal acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, you choose
from among the four energy types mentioned above." "As a standard action, you can convert an arcane spell slot into a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a 30-foot cone (cold or fire) or a 60-foot line (acid or electricity)..." Since my heritage is force, I'm not bound by a type. As a standard action... the breath weapon is cone... or line...

You're probably right about the PONY (not horse). Feel free to ask a high ref about it. I've posted initiative, so I can't change it.

edit: actually, I may purchase something.

edit2: Purchases: and thank god I looked because I forgot a spell component pouch when I made the character.
Starting with 10g
1 Spell Component Pouch, 5g, 1#
1 Spear, 2g, 3#
Gold left: 3

Yeah, I checked that, the only level 1 spell you'd have missed out on was a Mage Armor.

I believe the intent with most feats that allow you to choose is that you choose at feat selection. That's how it works with Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Skill Focus, Various Weapon Proficiency Feats, Improved Critical, and the like, to name a few. I'd be happy to let a high ref rule it one way or the other, but it seems like the intent of the feat also, is to lock in a breath weapon for the character, as there'd be no mechanical reason to choose an elemental dragon type otherwise.

I'll get one for both the 4 legged equine issue and this.

EDIT: According to arena rules, you may not change your sheet after your first ACTION. Initiative does not count as an action.

Mavian
2008-02-15, 10:38 PM
High Ref Mav:

Mounts have average hp.

I'll do some research on the other one.

Bronz
2008-02-16, 12:15 AM
When it says choose, you must choose, and that is your type. Much like a neutral cleric deciding positive or negative energy. You cannot simply have all types of breath weapons. Of course, there are feats to give you options, but you must choose a breath weapon type and then go from there.

Talic
2008-02-16, 01:51 AM
Now that that's settled, I declare no purchases. I'll delay my first action until I have clarification on which Draconic Breath weapon you can use.

chilepepper
2008-02-16, 07:07 PM
Alright, 13 hp pony, and acid breath (I have acid reflux disease). I've declared my purchases so I think we're ready to go.

Talic
2008-02-16, 09:45 PM
Someone should really talk to you about having lines of acid. Liable to get you arrested. Anyhow, as it looks like I'm player 1, I'll start in B14.

Move to G16 (move).
Read spell off of scroll. (standard)

@refs
Mage Armor, duration 600 rounds

stats for refs:

Current movement for the round: A14 to G16.
HP: 5.
AC: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Mage Armor). FF 14, Touch 13.
Saves: F-1 R-3 W-2
Spells Active: Mage Armor 1/600
Spells Memorized:
Level 0
Sonic Snap
Sonic Snap
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Level 1
Sonic Blast
Sonic Blast
Cause Fear
Cause Fear
Ray of Enfeeblement

Your turn, sir.

chilepepper
2008-02-17, 01:43 AM
1. You're actually player 2. It's color coded for your convenience. You are blue, you start in blue. If you want me to just start in blue since there's no difference, that's fine.

2. I was looking over your sheet. Unless I'm mistaken, you've got a bit of a math problem. Let me know if I'm wrong. Wizards start with 120 gold. 2 first level scrolls are 50, MW skill tool is 50, 2 spell component pouches are 10, dagger is 2. That leaves 8 gold, far too little to summon a familiar. Am I missing something?

Talic
2008-02-17, 05:18 AM
1. You're actually player 2. It's color coded for your convenience. You are blue, you start in blue. If you want me to just start in blue since there's no difference, that's fine.

2. I was looking over your sheet. Unless I'm mistaken, you've got a bit of a math problem. Let me know if I'm wrong. Wizards start with 120 gold. 2 first level scrolls are 50, MW skill tool is 50, 2 spell component pouches are 10, dagger is 2. That leaves 8 gold, far too little to summon a familiar. Am I missing something?

You're right. Didn't catch that, thanks. As I've started my first action, I can't change it on the sheet, but I'll disregard all bonuses from it, and remove it at end of round.

Since you also clued me in on the correct start location...

(hangs, head, trudges to the other side of the arena)

Start in Y13, move to T11.

Other actions remain unchanged.

Your turn.

"What? My first arena opponent is a pony!? What's this place coming to?"

chilepepper
2008-02-17, 12:12 PM
I'll forgo the spellcraft check since you only have one spell on scrolls.

Mounted, starting empty handed.
Move A13 to A7, cast a spell.

@refs, DC16 Spellcraft check let's Talic look here
Cast Shield

@refs only
Using versatile spellcaster to burn 2 zero level spell slots to cast it.

stats for refs

HP:5
AC:19
Spells remaining:3,4
Position:A7
Effects:Shield 1/10

edit: Your turn

Talic
2008-02-17, 09:42 PM
Free Action - Spellcraft check to ID Spell being cast: [roll0]

Move: Move from T11 to O16
2nd Move Action: Put scroll away.

Stats for Refs:

Current movement for the round: T11 to O16.
Spells Active: Mage Armor 1/600

Hmm... Now let's see, you're probably not gonna come at me without mage armor and shield up, and at the range you're at, Mage Armor would be the better cast. Either way, if you're using the character the way I would use it, you've still got all your level 1 slots open. Spending so much time on your character sheet gives me a good idea of what your character can do... Which is about as useful as knowing the license plate number of the Mack truck that's about to hit you.

Your turn.

chilepepper
2008-02-17, 10:54 PM
You made the spellcraft check so you know I cast shield. Now make another to know what I'm casting now (though you can probably guess), same DC.

refs, DC16 spellcraft
Cast Mage Armor

refs only
Again using 2 zero level slots to cast it.

And I move to A2.

stats for refs

AC:23
Spells remaining:1,4
Position:A2
Effects:Shield 2/10, Mage Armor 1/600

edit: Your turn

Talic
2008-02-18, 12:18 AM
Reactive spellcraft check, though I'm relatively sure it's Mage Armor, as you don't have LoS, and I fail to see the use of 1 round of caltrops.
[roll0]

Not done, will post actions once I review your movement more closely.

Edit: Funny that you buff your AC to the high heavens, when I have 1 touch attack cantrip, which mage armor won't help against, and all my melee is at a penalty to hit. Eh, better safe than sorry, I guess.

chilepepper
2008-02-18, 01:33 AM
Edit: Funny that you buff your AC to the high heavens, when I have 1 touch attack cantrip, which mage armor won't help against, and all my melee is at a penalty to hit. Eh, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Thank you for that little bit of metagame knowledge.

Talic
2008-02-18, 04:50 AM
Thank you for that little bit of metagame knowledge.

Meta's a way of life in the arena... Like you not rolling Spellcraft on my scroll. :) Character sheets are public knowledge, which includes my attack ability, and spells. :)

chilepepper
2008-02-18, 05:35 AM
Yes, but what I didn't know is that you didn't prep magic missle, until now.

Talic
2008-02-18, 08:33 AM
Yes, but what I didn't know is that you didn't prep magic missle, until now.

I can see a justification for shield. It's Mage armor that I don't see a justification for. With a 19 AC (18 touch), and my -2 to hit, I'm rollin 20's on any touch attack. By my math, the extra 4 points won't apply to most of my attacks, and won't matter for the ones it does apply to.

Though I don't usually apply very many MM's against a sorceror with a shield spell and the ability to cast it 6 times a day. That's not meta, that's common sense. If I did, your pony would beat me to death while I tried to wait you out.

Talic
2008-02-18, 08:43 AM
In any case, I'm ready with my move now.

Move from O16 to Q11. (Move action)

@refs

Ready an action: If I have LoE within 25 feet, cast Cause Fear on the kobold.

End turn.

Stats for refs:

Current movement for the round: O16 to Q11.
Spells Active: Mage Armor 2/600
Readied Action: See above spoiler for details.

Spells memorized:

Level 0
Sonic Snap x2
Touch of Fatigue x3

Level 1
Sonic Blast x2
Cause Fear x2
Ray of Enfeeblement x1

chilepepper
2008-02-18, 11:45 AM
Double move to M1.

stats for refs

Ready an action to breathe if he moves into range with LoE

Position:M1
Effects:Shield 3/10, Mage Armor 2/600

Done

Talic
2008-02-18, 12:43 PM
Move action: Draw dagger,

@Refs

Ready an action to move if he attempts to breathe.

Stats for refs:

Current movement for the round: Stayed still in Q11.
Spells Active: Mage Armor 3/600

Spells:

Level 0
Sonic Snap x2
Touch of Fatigue x3

Level 1
Sonic Blast x2
Cause Fear x2
Ray of Enfeeblement x1

Your turn.

chilepepper
2008-02-18, 03:17 PM
Double move to X3

stats for refs

I've established LoE, so I'm going to ready an action to breathe on him if he does anything.

Entangling Acid Breath
[roll0] Acid (Ref DC15 for half damage)
Target is Entangled for [roll1] rounds and takes 1d6 damage at the beginning of my turn during the duration.

Position:M1
Effects:Shield 4/10, Mage Armor 3/600

edit: Done

Talic
2008-02-18, 11:17 PM
No visible actions:

As he cannot have a ready action when his turn is occurring, I have a ready action to move if he does anything.

Stats for Refs:

Current movement for the round: Stayed still in Q11.
Spells Active: Mage Armor 4/600

Spells:

Level 0
Sonic Snap x2
Touch of Fatigue x3

Level 1
Sonic Blast x2
Cause Fear x2
Ray of Enfeeblement x1

Edit: Turn complete.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 01:02 AM
You obviously have a readied action. If I were you, I know what my readied action would be, so I'm hoping we think at least a little bit alike. Lemme know if I trigger your readied action and if so at what point and I'll redo my move from there. If I don't trigger your readied action this is what happens.

refsI'm planning on moving after the spell so DC 10 Concentration check for casting the spell [roll0]

Move to U8
Cast a spell

Not done

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 01:23 AM
DC15 Spellcraft to know I'm casting
Daze

And I need you to fail a DC14 Will save please ('+2 vs. enchantment' elf bonus does apply)

Not done

Talic
2008-02-19, 03:48 AM
Doesn't matter what you're casting. You've triggered my ready action.

For poops and giggles though...
Spellcraft: [roll0]

As the DC was 15, it's gotta be a level 0 spell, which should be your last for the day, if you're playing this smart.

However, the readied action was Move. I'll post the exact results of the move in a bit, once I've determined the best position to move to.

Talic
2008-02-19, 04:02 AM
Move from Q11 to V8.

Will Save: [roll0]

Edit: That's actually a "9", as I didn't factor in the +2 vs enchantment. Still, if I'm right, 30 feet puts me out of range of the level 0 enchantment spell that I think you're casting. :)

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 04:13 AM
AoO from the War Pony.

Attack 1d20+3
Damage 1d3+2

Since V8 is 5' for U8, it is definitely within the 25' range, you are dazed and unable to take any actions for 1 round.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 04:30 AM
Forgot I can't stick rolls after an edit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 04:38 AM
Well, I guess Hoofy is more pony than war.

Since you can't act, I'll take my next round.

Move to X15, breathe an Entangling Acid Breath at you.
Entangling Acid Breath
[roll0] Acid (Ref DC15 for half damage)
You are Entangled for [roll1] rounds and take 1d6 damage at the beginning of each of my turns during the duration.

And then I'll move to X23 and be done.

edit:can I roll any crappier?

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 04:44 AM
For your convenience
SRD-

Entangled

The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spellís level) or lose the spell.

and that puts us at round 7 (cuz I know you're keeping track of your mage armor duration :) )

Talic
2008-02-19, 06:36 AM
In the future, please post your movement ABOVE the ref section, so that it is not confused with a sig block. The movement ALSO triggered my readied action to move, which I certainly would have taken. I'd like to get a ref in here to validate that, and rewind play to the movement.

EDIT: Incidentally, look at your feats, I'm only entangled if I fail a reflex save. That's even if the ruling stands. Reread, sorry.

EDIT2: I withdraw my objection. Upon looking at the mechanics of the situation, the only thing that would have changed is the location of the players. I'll accept the current positions. Reflex save to follow.

Talic
2008-02-19, 07:45 AM
Reflex, DC 15: [roll0]

Edit: Failed, so I'm entangled.Will post action here in a bit. Since I was entangled on your action during the round I was dazed, it is my action now.

Talic
2008-02-19, 08:34 AM
Firstly, a minor nitpick. Now that I've reviewed the map more closely, your pony didn't get an AoO, unless you've found a way to give it 10' reach. Moving south from q11 to u8 moves me into your threat range, sure. It does not move me out of a threatened square, which is what provokes. Moot because it missed, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Also: It's round 6, not 7. Round 1, I cast mage armor. Round 2, I moved to q11 and readied an action. Round 3, I stayed in q11 and drew a dagger. Round 4, I had no visible actions (readied an action). On your portion of round 4, you cast a spell. I reacted with my readied action. You then dazed me. I lost my round 5, due to daze. You used a breath weapon attack on me, bottom of round 5. It entangled me. Now, it is my action, on round 6. Please update the durations of any spells you have accordingly.

Round 6

My action: Move from U8 to W10.

stats for refs:
Current movement for the round: Moved from U8 to W10.
HP: 3/5.
Spells Active: Mage Armor 6/600
Readied Action: Move if the kobold performs any attack, including breath weapons, spells, or directing his mount to attack.

Spells:

Level 0
Sonic Snap x2
Touch of Fatigue x3

Level 1
Sonic Blast x2
Cause Fear x2
Ray of Enfeeblement x1

Edit: Done.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 08:46 AM
In the future, please post your movement ABOVE the ref section, so that it is not confused with a sig block. The movement ALSO triggered my readied action to move, which I certainly would have taken. I'd like to get a ref in here to validate that, and rewind play to the movement.

EDIT: Incidentally, look at your feats, I'm only entangled if I fail a reflex save. That's even if the ruling stands.

EDIT2: I withdraw my objection. Upon looking at the mechanics of the situation, the only thing that would have changed is the location of the players. I'll accept the current positions. Reflex save to follow.

This is the second match we've played. I've never had a sig block. Furthermore, in the post it says Move, Cast, Not done, clearly part of my move. There's no precedence that all spoilered info has to be at the bottom, in fact if I do three things in order and the second thing is spoilered, there's no reason to post things out of order. The mistake was entirely your fault.

If my movement set off your readied action, I wouldn't have gotten an AoO, that's the only difference. Since it didn't hit, it doesn't matter.

Incidentally, you look at my feats. You are wrong.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 09:03 AM
Here's a minor nitpick for you. You're not in U8, you're in V8. You moved out of two squares that were threatened to get there, and there's no way you could've avoided it.

You can still make it to W10, so you're move is okay.

Rounds post your move action
1 12 y13-t11
2 14 t11-o16
3 21 o16-q11
4 23 draw a dagger
5 25 no visible action, 29 readied move q11-v8
6 32 dazed
7 36 (V)8-W10

My spell durations are just fine, thank you.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 09:07 AM
You take [roll0] damage from the Entangling Acid.

not done

Talic
2008-02-19, 01:38 PM
That's enough. This particular round wasn't nearly as fun as the last one. On top of that, I'm staggered, and no spell in my arsenal could do enough damage to return the favor, even if I were in range.

On top of that, a deceptive post flustered me early on, and I've been misreading crap ever since.

I'm conceding the round here. So, I think we're both done.

chilepepper
2008-02-19, 07:53 PM
There was nothing deceptive about my post. Don't be petty.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-20, 12:07 AM
High Ref Paladin Latham

Um. O.K. :smallconfused:

Chile II is declared the winner. Collect your loot at the arena vending stations.

Talic
2008-02-20, 12:40 AM
There was nothing deceptive about my post. Don't be petty.

Sorry 'bout that. There were a bunch of reasons for that, all bad, mostly explained in the PM I sent. Even without making so many mistakes back to back to back, it was a bad day. Still, you did everything right, by the rules, and you earned the win. Even without my mistakes, you likely would have won, as your build is more effective when head to head against mine.

Sorry again, for the snarkiness.

Something I said though, was true. I WAS staggered, and there wasn't any way conceivable, even if given the perfect opportunity, that I could have returned the favor with any of my memorized spells, which would have put me at -1 and losing. That was the reason I forfeit the match, regardless of other things I mentioned.

chilepepper
2008-02-20, 05:22 AM
I figured once I hit once with my breath weapon, it'd be over. The entanglement really gives an advantage. Sorry this match didn't go as you would've liked. Thank you for the PM, hope you do better in the rest of the tourney.