PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: August!!

Baron
2004-08-01, 01:13 PM
For all your August OOTS discussion needs!

Caledonian
2004-08-01, 01:23 PM
[sigh] A fresh new thread, and nothing to discuss until tomorrow.

All right, then, here's a topic:

Could any of you explain the backstory for this fruit pie joke? I gathered from the previous thread that it's some kind of advertisement from years back. Was it related to gaming, somehow, or is it just nostalgia?

ShadowDragon8685
2004-08-02, 12:50 AM
Nostalgia.

Lilly
2004-08-02, 02:17 AM
Well there it is. V's gotten smart, and stopped telling people about v's ideas.

And that is a good trick at that.

ShadowDragon8685
2004-08-02, 02:28 AM
Ahhhh-hahaha! That's rich! That's freakin' platinum!
:D :D

Matuse
2004-08-02, 02:40 AM
And people wonder why I prefer Wizards over Sorcerers...no Sorc takes that spell!

JD
2004-08-02, 03:09 AM
Whats that - *BOOM*

I didn't even notice V cast the spell until I re-read it, if that isn't funny then what is.

mossfoot
2004-08-02, 03:47 AM
If you can read this, you are quite doomed.

Terandir
2004-08-02, 06:58 AM
Great strip, really. I love explosions. ;D

For our LARP Conventions, we built a rather massive ballista. On the padded head of some the bolts, we wrote "If you can read this, you don't need any glasses." On some other, the line said "Gotcha!"... ;)

Greetz,
Terandir

Nighthawk4
2004-08-02, 07:16 AM
So, any thoughts on who or what is down that trapdoor? >:(

Mizkyu
2004-08-02, 08:49 AM
So, any thoughts on who or what is down that trapdoor? >:(

Not 50 angry goblin warriors ;D

Caledonian
2004-08-02, 09:02 AM
I'm guessing it's a ethically-challenged dwarven cleric... who's formed an unholy alliance with the BBEG and his demon cockroach minions!

dragonfly
2004-08-02, 09:24 AM
I really loved the cobbler line.

Those peach deserts always seemed a little sneaky to me.

Caledonian
2004-08-02, 09:27 AM
Peach desserts. A peach desert wouldn't be able to sneak anywhere, unless you count burying tents in sudden fruitstorms overnight.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-02, 10:58 AM
That was a excellant use of Explosive Runes.
And Belkar meant those that make shoes not dessert lol

Maybe a certain female dwarf is down there?

Doug
2004-08-02, 11:33 AM
Not 50 angry goblin warriors ;D

Right, but it could be 51 angry goblin warriors. :)

Tarlonniel
2004-08-02, 12:24 PM
I think it's that race of molepeople from the old Superman TV show :o Or perhaps Sabine. Or Hilgya, but isn't it a little too soon for her to make a reappearance?

Grey Watcher
2004-08-02, 12:52 PM
Has any else noted that V has a rather maniacal streak? I mean, granted, he and Roy tend to be the party's steady intellect, but get him into place for an offensive spell and the gleam that comes into his cartoon eyes is positively malicous.

HOO
2004-08-02, 02:41 PM
Perhaps a siede effect of the raw arcane power of immense amount he memorized - he is juts happy to get them out again (and to stay alive, which might be just another side effect...)

Adghar
2004-08-02, 03:18 PM
Does anyone notice that Durkon isn't shown running from the goblins, in this issue?

Hadoken
2004-08-02, 03:33 PM
Yeah he is, you can see the top of durkon's head in the first panel of the 3rd row down. He is being dragged along by Roy.

Lord_Nathanel
2004-08-02, 03:34 PM
That move was soooo slick. V used a move taught to us in Ranger school during my career in the Army. He booby trapped his escape route to stop anyone from following him. Ah the memories... ;D Such a sweet calculating tactic. V you magnificent mage!

evileeyore
2004-08-02, 08:28 PM
Shouldn't that quote be..

"V, you magnificent Mage! You read your Book!"*

Or something along those lines...

Current Song; Bad Moon Rising--EvilE

*Apologies to Patton.

Doggie
2004-08-02, 11:14 PM
I was inclined to think that the fruit pie sorcerer was a take on getting snacks mid game that causes a distraction from the current scene for a moment.
Like spilling a drink on your map and saying there's a flood.
Something from one of the Giant's games perhaps.

I don't blame the goblin for skewering him either.
Who knows what was contained within those evil strips of deep fried pastries.

The use of the explosive runes was great, must remember that for some of my games.

Potato_the_Great
2004-08-02, 11:22 PM
I prepared explosive runes this morning.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-08-03, 03:33 AM
Every time a new comic gets posted, I think the Giant can't possibly come up with yet another classic, hilarious line to add to the long list certain members of my gaming group often quote.

And every new comic, he proves me wrong again. I HAVE to use explosive runes like that someday. ;D

That or as a Warning at the beggining of a spellbook, like the FBI warning on DVDs and video tapes.

Nareth
2004-08-03, 12:39 PM
Shouldn't that be:

"If you can read this, you're too close!!"

I can't think of a single player mage/sorceror ever taking that spell in any game I've ever played in. Definately have to remember that one.

ShadowDragon8685
2004-08-04, 01:00 PM
Sepia Snake Sigil is also good for evil ambushes like that. I once popped that on my party - the evil merchant had a box in his room that wasen't tied down, with a note in it. The idea being that most thieves aren't smart enough to wait until later to read. Then when you wake up, you've got a nice encapsulated thief, wait for it to wear off, and have you fun. :)

Explosive runes would work well, though.

Especially if those gold coins were all enchanted to be Fireball once use when struck or burnt. ;)

JD
2004-08-04, 04:00 PM
Which of the nine hells will you go to?

*BOOM*

Seriously that's a funny comic, I just need to ask one question. Can Explosive Runes be used on paper? Bet I could make those mages a bit more careful which spellbook they open (trapped spellbooks, with valuable information for everyone who survives the blasts).....

Starbuck_II
2004-08-04, 06:03 PM
"You can trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information."

I guess walls do bear information (graffiti lol)

Best part about spell those within 5 feet (close enough to read it) take damage with no save, those within 10 feet get a reflex save for half.

Yes spellbooks could be enchanted but then the book is also dealt the damage.

Wait, does that mean the wall will have a hole in it?
It did just explode...

Alarra
2004-08-05, 02:41 AM
Love the newest comic.....so true.....

and I love how you can see Haley's roots under the hair dye....just great =)

Sebastian
2004-08-05, 02:51 AM
"Listen to me young man,you will drink the blood of the innocents and you will like it"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Another classic, like goth-Haley (mmh, kinda hot for a stick figure... oops, I wrote that out loud?)

mossfoot
2004-08-05, 04:07 AM
That is classic!

I bet Roy's dad remembers "the good old days" where goblins were evil and they stayed that way ;)

Adghar
2004-08-05, 04:45 AM
Why hasn't anyone said welcomes to me or said "N00b! Head to the introduction board!" or something to me yet? *points to post count*

I s'pose the goblins play some kind of D&D spinoff, or something.

Gdrad
2004-08-05, 04:45 AM
Oh man, such a good comic.
hehehe. Gotta love the acne the one guy has. Actually for a secound their I thought they were Goblin Nerds, and a parody of tabletop RPGs was coming up...oh well.

Bogotter
2004-08-05, 05:44 AM
Anyone else notice the poster in the Haley flashback?

"The CURE.......light wounds."

Too funny.

Alarra
2004-08-05, 09:30 AM
i did notice the poster.....classic.....=)

Starbuck_II
2004-08-05, 10:42 AM
You know Elan and Haley seem to get along well: any chance they might hook up?
I didn't notice that Cure ...light wounds at first.

Adghar go to inttroduction board ;)

Great comic, outdone yourself.

Scorpina
2004-08-05, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah coz all teenagers are rebelling for the sake of rebelling. Although Goth-Hayley reminds me of me...I'm worried now...*hides under stairs*

Tarlonniel
2004-08-05, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the D&D of teenage goblins revolves around peaceful conflict resolution and acquiring large contributions for charity ....? ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-08-05, 12:34 PM
I couldn't make out the word "light" on the poster, so I missed the joke. :( Oh well, that's what the boards are for! Ah teen, angst! And yes, the goth Haley was a really cool design!

Lilly
2004-08-05, 02:21 PM
You can make out the end letter on the poster and it's a "t" so it has to be light.

And this one is a classic. I too was expecting a version of a role playing game, but the teenage goblins are so much more fun.

Tzor
2004-08-05, 02:37 PM
I s'pose the goblins play some kind of D&D spinoff, or something.

Well their parents probably played "Papers and Paychecks" when they were teenagers. :P

(I miss the old 1E DMG jokes)

Adghar
2004-08-05, 03:30 PM
I just now noticed that Mistress Shadowgale is wearing bracelets and something on her forehead.
http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/haley.png

Grey Watcher
2004-08-05, 03:53 PM
The forehead thingy looks like an eyebrow piercing to me.

Matuse
2004-08-05, 03:59 PM
Her skin is also a lot paler. I just died laughing when I saw her roots poking through. That'll show that succubus skank-fiend!

Adghar
2004-08-05, 04:10 PM
But then, what if she used two layers of dye? It's entirely possible, but unlikely.

I'm a fan of all characters. Haley's cool. I support her all the way. Or something.

Doug
2004-08-05, 04:42 PM
But then, what if she used two layers of dye? It's entirely possible, but unlikely.

I have SEEN people who managed to arrange to have purple roots. I assume you dye black, and then latter dye purple, it doesn't show where there is already black but does show on the lighter roots.

Goths are wierd that way.

I am inclined to think Haley dyes if only because she claims not to do so. Besides, it helps explain the level of antipathy with Sabine.

Lilly
2004-08-05, 07:28 PM
But her dad's a red head too.

Nighthawk4
2004-08-06, 08:03 AM
I think her hair is the colour we usually see.

I assume she just dyed her hair black and wore pale makeup as she was a Goth during her teens.

I hadn't noticed the eyebrow thing, but it is probably an eyebrow piercing. I couldn't read the poster, so I missed that as well. Thank Heaven for the Boards. ;)

These comics are truly awesome :D

RawBearNYC
2004-08-06, 11:13 AM
I assume she was pale because she only went out at night and slept all day. Later, when she gave up her teenage rebellion and discovered the love of the bow, she spent alot more time out of doors, tanning her skin a bit. Of course, if she stays in this dungeon much longer, she'll go back to pale girl.

Or maybe she was a vegeterian, Madonna said that vegeterians are paler.

Rromagar
2004-08-06, 12:12 PM
Alright, I hate to be the one to point it out, but did anyone notice that Goth Haley has cleavage, while adult Haley doesn't?

Matuse
2004-08-06, 12:38 PM
A sad, sad fact of life is that working out to get into fighting shape makes your boobs go away.

We get bellybutton instead.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-06, 12:51 PM
Alright, I hate to be the one to point it out, but did anyone notice that Goth Haley has cleavage, while adult Haley doesn't?
Goths stuff, sadly adults don't. No wonderbras yet...

evileeyore
2004-08-06, 08:18 PM
Goths stuff, sadly adults don't. No wonderbras yet...

Goths also wear lower cut tops, to better advertise.

Sensible Adults don't.

I see Ms. Starshine as slightly more sensible about the whole 'advertising' thing than DM Shadowgale...

Besides with low cut, she would have alot more top malfunctions (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=35).*

--EvilE

* Careful examination reveals that Haley has cleavage in the last several panels. So :P

Wanderer
2004-08-08, 11:57 PM
Plan in advance? What's that mean? ;D

Our parties were always like that. We'd just sort of wander around until we encountered something, fight it, barely survive, and then move on.

The only time we planned in advance was when we were about to face the evil-super-villain-really-really-bad-guy-demon-like-creature. And that went kind of like "Wait a second, I bet the boss is right behind this door. If we use all our buffs and scrolls and everything NOW, we might survive long enough to actually kill him."

Oddly enough, it worked. I kind of did with him what Belkar did with the chimera a while back. Of course, the balors that the boss summoned proceeded to slaughter but one of us afterwards...

Blackdog
2004-08-09, 12:41 AM
Check that Belkar/Durkon merge in the last two panels. ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-08-09, 09:46 AM
Best. Dungeon level. Ever. ;D

Gdrad
2004-08-09, 11:01 AM
Belkar/Durkon merge??HUH??!???? ???

Caledonian
2004-08-09, 02:45 PM
Belkar/Durkon merge??HUH??!???? ??? In the last two panels of the comic, we see Belkar exiting the visibile area on the far right side, and Durkon entering the visibile area on the far left. As a result, it looks vaguely as if the two have somehow become hideously conjoined across the panels.

Baron
2004-08-09, 05:33 PM
Especially with the eery sulphur smoke thing going on too. Maybe it hints to some weredwarf/halfling template. Giant has said that he's working on a top secret project for WOTC. Could this be it? :-/

Matuse
2004-08-10, 06:15 AM
Dwalfling?

mossfoot
2004-08-10, 06:23 AM
Gotta love the Cavern of Very Easy Encounters. ;D

Blackdog
2004-08-10, 03:37 PM
Who noticed that the Very Easy Encounter says "Yeek!"; Angband, anyone?

Adghar
2004-08-11, 03:47 PM
But what if that was an accident...

Nighthawk4
2004-08-12, 05:38 AM
Funny strip today again, but it is very hard to read white on black lettering. ;)

Lowinor
2004-08-12, 09:06 AM
<geek mode=excessive>
Tsk. Speak with dead does not conjure the spirit, only accesses latent knowledge in the corpse.
</geek>

Callista
2004-08-12, 09:42 AM
Don't feel like a geek, Lowinor; I noticed that, too. Actually, I noticed it first when Roy's dad complained that he never had a cleric cast Speak With Dead to talk to him...

Anyhow. Geekness aside, did anyone notice how much more articulate goblins are when they're dead? :)

The Giant
2004-08-12, 10:27 AM
<geek mode=excessive>
Tsk. Speak with dead does not conjure the spirit, only accesses latent knowledge in the corpse.
</geek>

You signed up for the message board JUST to say that? ::)

Lowinor
2004-08-12, 10:48 AM
You signed up for the message board JUST to say that? ::)

Did you miss the "excessive" qualifier above? ;)

I mainly just noticed as speak with dead was used the game I play in last week.

Caledonian
2004-08-12, 11:03 AM
Plus, the answer to the question "Do you know where my keys are?" should have been either 'yes' or 'no'. To find out where the keys were, the question "Where are my keys?" should have been asked.

Alarra
2004-08-12, 11:08 AM
Oh bah....let's not be so critical....

Great comic Giant! yay!....hehe...

I enjoy the fact that we got to learn a bit more of Xykon's personality.

Scorpina
2004-08-12, 11:40 AM
Hehe, brilliant.

"Hey babe, a motel..."

Caledonian
2004-08-12, 11:51 AM
We give the comic critical praise when it's great. Why shouldn't we offer critical criticism when it's not?

Part of what makes the comic funny it that it draws on D&D. If it makes inaccurate references to D&D mechanics, that humor is blunted.

We're geeks. Accuracy in all things.

Tarlonniel
2004-08-12, 12:18 PM
Oooohh, a Gate of Deadly Runes. I like. :o 8)

MacDude
2004-08-12, 01:16 PM
"...hello, sir, how are you today? This is lovely weather--"

ROTFLMAO! That's priceless.

People may think I'm Speaking with Dead when I'm on my cell phone 'cause I have a bluetooth headset. ;)

Potato_the_Great
2004-08-12, 03:49 PM
I'm almost as lazy as Zykon :P

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-08-12, 07:28 PM
ROTFLMAO! That's priceless.

Yup. I laughed hard enough at that it made my fillings hurt. ;D

Invariel
2004-08-12, 07:34 PM
Indeed. Today's strip takes my 'Most Favourite Webcomic To Date' award. (Actual retail value of award: $0.0000001)

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-08-12, 09:35 PM
Oh bah....let's not be so critical....

Great comic Giant! yay!....hehe...

I enjoy the fact that we got to learn a bit more of Xykon's personality.

Yeah, I just love the idea of the BBEG being a bored executive/president sitting in an office somewhere!

Caledonian
2004-08-12, 11:01 PM
...stuffing employees into Runic Gates of Doom.

Actually, I think that's what my boss does most of the time.

Darklone
2004-08-13, 07:38 AM
Did you miss the "excessive" qualifier above? ;)

I mainly just noticed as speak with dead was used the game I play in last week.
That criticism is pretty late considering the "wrong" use of Speak with Dead during the first visit of his fathers ghost... ;)

But honestly, what's this spell good for if you can't even annoy some dead relatives?

mossfoot
2004-08-13, 09:15 AM
Funny strip, but strangely enough I thought the roach bit at the begining was funnier than speaking with the dead (both funny, mind you, but the "interupted slice of life" moments always get me ;) )

Tubesteak_Samurai
2004-08-13, 03:06 PM
been meaning to register here for a while.

I fell in love with this strip from the first time i saw it. At the time of its creation there were only a hand full of fantasy strips out there worth reading and it was a welcomed break to see a creator with such skill at writing.

how in the world anyone can look at the simplicty of the character designs and not see the deliberate genius behind it is beyond me. you've managed to achieve everything with a few lines that i try to achieve toiling endlessly over details.

good work.

evileeyore
2004-08-13, 04:28 PM
We're geeks. Accuracy in all things.

Not my order of Geek. We strive for being in the general area of the target, not necessarily the bulls eye.

'Cause we're lazy.--EvilE

PS: I loved the Head Gobbo trying to lure the roaches into the hotel. AWESOME!!

athilith
2004-08-13, 05:29 PM
..the poor goblin!.. :-/...poor goblin...

Aerysil1
2004-08-14, 12:04 AM
Honestly, I thought the comic where the lich guy told the creature in the darkness to turn of his flashlight was funnier. But... maybe I'm a little off today. I wondered if the "No seriously, wasting your time is pathetic" remark was almost... circular...

Reminds me of when ABC was advertising itself and insulting itself at the same time to seem clever a few years back.

Adghar
2004-08-14, 12:22 AM
'"No seriously, wasting your time is pathetic"'

Those were not the exact words of the comment, which is probably why it sounds circular. Or maybe I just read it wrong. *rushes off to go check*

I'm right. The exact words are "No seriously, that's pathetic."

Arcanis
2004-08-14, 04:06 AM
:D the speak with dead was priceless

JD
2004-08-15, 02:50 PM
Why didn't the goblin cast Explosive Runes on the text of the hotel, seems like a good idea. "Hey, it's a ho--"

"Pocket......"

Grey Watcher
2004-08-15, 07:06 PM
Why didn't the goblin cast Explosive Runes on the text of the hotel, seems like a good idea. "Hey, it's a ho--"

True, but then he'd have to go and replace the whole hotel every time. I think it's a much more mundane trap involving roach poison.

SimonMoon5
2004-08-15, 07:41 PM
Most real-world roach motels use no poison. Just glue, and maybe something that smells like food to attract them.

Potato_the_Great
2004-08-15, 08:21 PM
Or maybe he was going to eat the roaches when they passed through, he is a goblin :P

Arcanis
2004-08-15, 09:44 PM
thats unlikely for two reasons

1. they were DEMON roaches
2. he was lecturing the mysterious creature about attracting them, not thanking him

Rromagar
2004-08-15, 11:06 PM
Does anyone else feel a big confrontation coming on? With our intrepid heroes closing in on ye olde lich (with a PLAN even) and said lich finding his elusive keys which the success of his scheme depends upon, I feel something big coming.

Either that or I have to stop eating gassy foods.

Either way, Monday can't come soon enough.

Arcanis
2004-08-15, 11:58 PM
i cant wait to see the mysterious creature in the shadows

Lilly
2004-08-16, 12:33 AM
Well the thing has the intelligence of a turnip. That either means it's really strong or it is going to be a very funny battle.

Blackdog
2004-08-16, 12:34 AM
Heh, the magical darkness comes to a rather abrupt stop up top. :)

The Giant
2004-08-16, 12:41 AM
Darn it, I noticed that the moment I posted it, and you snuck in before I fixed it. :P Oh well, fixed now.

Wanderer
2004-08-16, 12:49 AM
Hmm... the designers of this place don't do "subtle" do they? ;D

Lilly
2004-08-16, 12:56 AM
Hmm... the designers of this place don't do "subtle" do they? ;D

Well they think that is subtle. They put it in the basement instead of out on the front lawn.

Adghar
2004-08-16, 01:56 AM
No one say it's chinese lookin'. 'cause like, I'm chinese, and for some reason, I would take offense if you did think it was chinese lookin'. :( And I was expecting that gate not to have doors. But it had doors. *Wanders off in cell mumbling about horse-crackers*

Arcanis
2004-08-16, 03:25 AM
wow the doors do a great job covering up the gate ::)

haha i love the shadow creatures keen observation skills..i can see the battle between the order and xykon now..

Xykon: kill the Order of the Stick!
Creature: What stick?

Invariel
2004-08-16, 08:50 AM
And by saying that, you ruined any hopes of such a thing happening. Good job. :)

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-08-16, 09:30 AM
I can't wait to see what the creature in the shadows is. I have no idea what to expect there.

I'm really sorry for the goblins, though, especially their high priest. He definitely has a lot to deal with.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-16, 10:09 AM
The door is Japanese looking (Adghar your welcome lol)
The shadow monsters is a big purple dinosuar that looks like barney I know it!

Terandir
2004-08-16, 10:43 AM
I don't see anything japanese in the gate. It looks more like the big portal in "Jurassic Park" to me. Which is, of course, adding more weight to the theory of Barney, the secret weapon. :D

But... the secret weapon has eyes similar to those of the priest... an at the same height. So maybe he's some sort of super-goblin?

Anyone noticed Xykon's australian accent yet? :D

Greetings,
Terandir

Tarlonniel
2004-08-16, 12:39 PM
Woot! V is gonna flip. Who knows what unimaginable secrets of arcane power might lie behind a gate like THAT :o

Nighthawk4
2004-08-16, 12:53 PM
Imagine the creature hidden in the darkness meeting up with Elan.

Elan: 'I got a 4!!'

Creature: 'Who said that?'

;)

JD
2004-08-16, 01:02 PM
Why don't V cast Silence on Elan, that'd kill that joke and poor Elan has to put up with enough already...

P.S. I prepared Explosive Runes this morning... LMAO

Grey Watcher
2004-08-16, 01:40 PM
Well the thing has the intelligence of a turnip. That either means it's really strong or it is going to be a very funny battle.

Knowing the Giant, both seem quite likely. Unless it's some sort of demonic kitten.

RawBearNYC
2004-08-16, 03:20 PM
Why don't V cast Silence on Elan, that'd kill that joke and poor Elan has to put up with enough already...

P.S. I prepared Explosive Runes this morning... LMAO
What alignment would you have to be to cast silence on a bard, cause, at the very least, that's just mean.

RawBearNYC
2004-08-16, 03:24 PM
Voice of one of the mods: JD, you might want to consider not coloring text in your posts either white nor beige. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-16, 08:39 PM
A low lv Bard spell; anti-silence is useful in those situations ;D

Doggie
2004-08-17, 04:06 AM
I'd have to say that episode 95 was an absolute cracker. I was reading that and trying to speak to a client at the same time, wasn't working.
Very good!

Nareth
2004-08-17, 01:34 PM
You can be any alignment and cast silence on a bard. It's not inherently an evil act, and silence isn't restricted by alignment. It's a great way to quiet down those annoying pc bards with their boosting songs. Besides that, V wouldn't be able to cast it under ordinary circumstances, as it's only a Clerical/Divine spell. Durkon could do it though. I'm somewhat surprised that he never has :)

Nighthawk4
2004-08-17, 02:05 PM
So Elan could do it then - being a Cleric of Banjo? ;)

mossfoot
2004-08-17, 07:39 PM
Of course, the hidden monster's head might only happen to be low to the ground, we don't know how far back and up he goes... could be like the head of a stegasaurus, ya know? ;)

The symbol on the gate has a certain made-up Asian feeling to it, but is not any kanji I recognize ;)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-17, 11:51 PM
The symbols are reminiscent of a few hiragana, but it's been years since I've studied Japanese and I don't feel like digging out my old notebook at the moment. (so, which hiragana, i don't remember)

Ikkitosen
2004-08-18, 02:13 AM
It also doesn't resemble any of (or a composite of) the earth/air/fire sigils we saw when the group was working with the Linear Guild. The style is, of course, similar (it being that of the Giant's "runes").

Ikki.

Vik
2004-08-18, 07:20 AM
I wonder how long it'll take for someone to start writing a Giant's Runes Dictionary ;D

Adghar
2004-08-18, 07:10 PM
No, no one reply yet! I shall compile one. Wait here, for an edit. It'll be a good show of newbie manners ;D

The Giant's Runes By Adghar Wishes-to-be-anonymous

If you have purchased this book, this means you wish to know how to read the Giant in the Playground's rune writings. If the Giant plans to write any more runes, you shall know what they stand for.

The way to interpret is very simple. Like all symbol-based languages, each symbol is pictoral. A symbol would most likely stand for an object or action, and the symbols will be strung together to make some sense. The Giant most likely tries to make a statement with a single symbol. Here is a dictionary of Giant symbols thus far used:

http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/FireSigil.png
The Fire Sigil
This is the elemental sigil of fire. It, of course, stands for fire. The way you can see this is an arrow pointing upwards on the right, and chaotic curvy lines on the left. A fire often has multiple flames the flicker to the left and/or right, and the symbol on the left clearly shows the chaos. The point arrow shows the way the flames flicker. And that line in the middle is so the symbol can look Japanese. The reason the Giant makes symbols similar to asian symbols is because most RPGs or decent RPGs are usually made by asians.

http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/AirSigil.png
The ? Sigil
I'm letting you guess this one. The answer is below:

The Air Sigil
The way to see this is the curved symbols on the left which denote wind. Though, this is mostly an English/American perception of wind, and thus is a weakness in the great Giant of the Playground's runes. The symbol on the left most likely denotes a winged creature or one that is of the wind.

http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/EarthSigil.png
The Earth Sigil
(Note: The picture shown was not created by the Giant but was a crude recreation. Very crude, as you may notice.)
Ah, this is a tricky one. In the Giant's comic strip, the way you knew the Sigil was of earth was because of a mentioning by Nale the Dark and Misunderstood and because it was surrounded by rock/dirt and guarded by a big, heavy, earth elemental. Here, with the Sigil by itself, it is much harder to understand that it is an Earth sigil.
You can refer to Issue #47 of the Giant's comic strip for a better view of the Sigil, but you will have to stop reading this :). Anyways, time to start analyzing! At first glance it is just a bunch of rubbish thrown together. But, if you look closely, you see that the remote symbol on the right looks like falling dirt. Perhaps off a cliff; if you look at the symbol to the left, you can see a flat piece of (possibly) land on the top with jagged edges, showing the raw nature-y-ness of the symbol. The part on the left is quite like a cliff, and the single line holding the square demonstrates that the square is high up.
This may seem illogical, but think about it. It also has an asian feel to it, and since I'm not Japanese and I'm not quite interested in my language, I can not be able to see any roots. However, the symbol resembles a letter of the Chinese alphabet.

http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/DeathSigil.png
The Death/Destruction Sigil/Rune
Not quite that much is known about this rune. All we know is that it protects a mystical magical gate of power, and absolutely FRIES and EVISCERATES and DISCOMBOBULATES anything that comes near. This has lead me to believe this is a rune/Sigil of death, decay, destruction, or that sort of thing. One thing I am able to interpret of this rune that is almost alive, is that it uses Beam Weapons. The reason I am sure of this is because of the way the symbol is made. If you look at it, you see all kinds of lines. The beams are also Purple; beams of death and destruction are always dark purple. There is no doubt about that, like the way HERE. What the symbol suggests is that it traps the victim in a cage of death. A part of the symbol has multiple lines crossed over a single line, and other parts have similar designs. Remnisciant of Asian symbols because of conjoining lines split in to 2-4 parts.

Misc: Campaigns and Such
One may wish to use a mystic symbol for a D&D campaigns. The Giant in the Playground's special runes will be a perfect fit, I'm sure. They give a feeling that makes you want to scratch your head, and are good for riddle rooms. The DM may ask the player whether the player himself should decipher a Giant's Rune or his character should make a roll d20(or whatever it is you gamers do) with a bonus equal to his wisdom bonus + level. DC is determined by the DM. If using a Death/Destruction Rune/Sigil, the rune casts Finger of Death when attacking.

WOOT! I FINISHED! Now for you all to say, "Wow, that's long, but there's a ton of mistakes in there. I mean, a roll d20?!" and "d00d, u suk" or something like that. Plus, I would appreciate it if someone edited it and re-posted it or something.

Lilly
2004-08-19, 12:01 AM
I know I'm a ditz, but I guess I missed the post where he says we don't get comics during GenCon.

Invariel
2004-08-19, 12:10 AM
"Since technically I don't have lungs." Heeeeehehehe. :)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-19, 12:27 AM
I think I have to agree with whoever said the shadow thingy is a super-goblin or something. He even has the same "irritation-line" above the eyes that the head-goblin has.

Grey Watcher
2004-08-19, 12:37 AM
Not necessarily, Belkar and Roy have both demonstrated the same thing. It's just a generic furrowed brow.

Adghar
2004-08-19, 12:46 AM
Do you suppose the coughing demon roach is to similar to cliched cricket chirps?

Do you also think Mr. Burlew saw my post above? So far, nothing he said in the strip contradicts my ideas.

Note to self: Stop saying "Mr. Burlew."

Shadeogrey
2004-08-19, 01:27 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAH!

*cough*

Jhulae
2004-08-19, 01:33 AM
Do you suppose the coughing demon roach is to similar to cliched cricket chirps?

Yeah, it's similar to any variety of TV show jokes (such as popular in the Simpsons) where one character makes a joke... there's a pause with no laughter... and someone coughs.

Caledonian
2004-08-19, 08:52 AM
That little sound makes the resounding silence more obvious. A thing is known by the contrast with its surroundings, after all.

So... who has the urge to start up a wild party? While the Giant's away, the forum posters will play! Elan, my man, give us a rockin' tune!

"Party, party, party, party, while the Giant's going to GenCon."

That wasn't quite what I meant, Elan.

RawBearNYC
2004-08-19, 10:36 AM
Do you also think Mr. Burlew saw my post above? So far, nothing he said in the strip contradicts my ideas.

Note to self: Stop saying "Mr. Burlew."

I doubt it, he's at Gen Con right now. He's probably not staying on top of the boards.

Tarlonniel
2004-08-19, 12:36 PM
Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy. Maniacal laughter always means there's good stuff coming up :D

Adghar
2004-08-19, 06:46 PM
Well then bye bye, ideas. I was hoping I'd see Elan getting zapped by Finger of Death (Now that you know it involves zapping things with Finger of Death (Prefferably Elan), you want to read it don't you? Yeah, don't let that big huge block of text sway you.

Oh, eff. I just realized that the Giant attempts to prove wrong any board prophets.

Hobot
2004-08-20, 07:44 PM
The reason the Giant makes symbols similar to asian symbols is because most RPGs or decent RPGs are made by asians. Asians are also usually smarter than you :P.

You should probably edit that out. I know it's a joke but people can be sensitive about stuff like that.

Adghar
2004-08-20, 11:45 PM
I was pondering that. Give more feedback on the guide!

And I wonder if the scene will switch to the heros(?) or it will keep showing the villains and the heros will spring out? I doubt that the heros will spring out, because they're incompetant... but going back to the heros is kinda lame.

And if anyone says should of, they will die. Or I'll just yell at them to say should've.

Xiloscient
2004-08-21, 11:02 PM
I must say...I've just read all 97(Right? Something like that...) comics. And, I'm quite impressed. I didn't think something could keep my entertained for such a long period of time...

It's just...wonderfully funny. ^_^

Adghar
2004-08-22, 07:47 PM
*Points to Friendly Banter Introduction Thread* Yeah, I started reading before you. I started reading before the group realized Durkon was missing.

Nim
2004-08-22, 07:50 PM
Frikkin' newbies. I was reading this strip when she was but one comic old! And I recognized the humor before she had a following or hefty archives to back it up! Lilly can attest to this.

Lilly
2004-08-22, 07:57 PM
I can! I was there too! I started reading with #1.

Nim
2004-08-22, 07:58 PM
Ha! Gimme five, Lilly!

Original readers, unite!

Adghar
2004-08-23, 02:35 AM
'round midnight and no new comic or comic-thingy. Nothing while the Giant's away?

Wow, short post. Me go sleep sleep now.

RawBearNYC
2004-08-23, 10:17 AM
Sorry, y'all, something explanation-ish is up now.

JD
2004-08-23, 11:58 AM
Voice of one of the mods: JD, you might want to consider not coloring text in your posts either white nor beige. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.
Was intentional, surprised that anyone noticed/cared/whatever... I'll stop

Tzor
2004-08-23, 12:05 PM
Say it isn't so!

Did the Giant just run over the Michelin Man on the way back from Gen Con?

Ok, perhaps it really isn't so, but it looks like it.

Rich, I think you need an oil change, and while you are at it, I think you need to check the engine, you are really burning that motor oil. I don't think that car is going to pass inspection.

Jaws
2004-08-23, 02:37 PM
Say it isn't so!

Did the Giant just run over the Michelin Man on the way back from Gen Con?

Ok, perhaps it really isn't so, but it looks like it.

Rich, I think you need an oil change, and while you are at it, I think you need to check the engine, you are really burning that motor oil. I don't think that car is going to pass inspection.
Those emissions definately don't pass the standard of the federal Clean Air Act.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

The Giant
2004-08-23, 10:11 PM
Driving back from GenCon was a nightmarish dystopia. Margie and I are sick with a capital SICK. No new OOTS today, but chances are most of you haven't seen the promo strips I did for ConnectiCon, so enjoy.

EDIT: Ohio? Widest. State. Ever.

Lilly
2004-08-23, 10:40 PM
Awww.... it's so sad y'all are sick. Feel better soon.

And the comics are the bestest.

"I'm a pineapple chunk!"

Edit: Kansas. It's 500 mi of corn. And cows.

Alarra
2004-08-24, 12:11 AM
I think this may be my favorite OotS yet......"I'm a pineapple chunk!!!! I'm now going to use this saying as often as possible.....sadly this already sounds like something I would actually say.

Ever driven across South Dakota? Now that's agony.....Sadly, I drive across that state much more often than I'd like to.......9 hours....all straight...on interstate 90....okay...enough complaining.....

Yay! You're back from GenCon......we missed you soooooo much!!!!! =) Feel better soon!!!

rowe
2004-08-24, 03:22 AM
Keep up the great work!

As for long, boring drives -> try Los Angeles to Dallas, including the ridiculously long 600+ mile stretch of desert and FLAT land from El Paso to Dallas ;D

Abelard
2004-08-24, 08:12 AM
I understand what The Giant is saying; I did Syracuse to St. Louis. "Ohio is huge" is a common complaint. See, it looks so small on the map...

Oh, right, topic. Almost 100 strips, and "I'm a pineapple chunk!" is the first thing that made me spit my breakfast across my desk. Thanks, I think. My halfling bard (who is getting more like Elan with every session) will be using this phrase with a Bluff check and Hat of Disguise... he's not too bright, either.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-08-24, 08:26 AM
Yup, this is a digression I can definitely live with. "I'm a pineapple chunk!" *snrk* (Yes, I know everyone else has quoted that already. I liked it too. :))

Sympathies on the creeping con crud. The fact that it happens a lot doesn't make it any easier to deal wih when it's you. :-/ Hope it's not food poisoning (which is what our local con was handing out this year).

I somehow doubt a complaint about the extreme boredom of the drive from Waterville to Bangor (Maine) is going to get me much sympathy. All flat, and nothing but pine trees. Blah. Maine doesn't have many boring drives, so this one really stands out, but I know from our drive to the Chicago Worldcon a few years ago that it really pales in comparison with the midwest.

Nighthawk4
2004-08-24, 08:44 AM
Sorry you are not well, Giant. Perhaps a nearby Cleric of Banjo can cast Cure Serious on you? ;)

The two strips were very funny and well worth it.

Are we allowed to take levels in 'Pineapple Chunk'?

Ferret_Dragon
2004-08-24, 09:47 AM
Hehehe... loved these stips...

I guess an occasional digression from the story line for an occassional coupla short strips like these is well worthwhile :)

Grey Watcher
2004-08-24, 11:51 AM
Personally, I like "Less talk, more slashing damage." And, "It's like I feel every puncture wound!"

JD
2004-08-24, 12:22 PM
Now how funny would it be to announce: "I disguise myself as a pineapple chunk! *rolls dice* Made it!"

I was waiting for those oozes to turn up, things ain't right until your DM decides if it's affected by flesh to stone or not. Technically it isn't flesh...

Sundog
2004-08-24, 12:33 PM
You are all wimps!

Having crossed from Adelaide to Perth by car, I can quite conclusively state nothing in the continental US comes close. I doubt anything even comes close to the Nullarbor Plain (the original miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles).

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-24, 12:53 PM
You are all wimps!

Having crossed from Adelaide to Perth by car, I can quite conclusively state nothing in the continental US comes close. I doubt anything even comes close to the Nullarbor Plain (the original miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles).

Yeah? Well I once drove from Newark to MARS!

Movies make it look so close, but it's really not.

Potato_the_Great
2004-08-24, 06:06 PM
Yeah? I used the California bridge to drive to Hawaii from Maine!

Bogotter
2004-08-24, 07:58 PM
Voice of the Mod Otter: Can we get back on topic please? Stories about who had the longest drive under the worst conditions are really not that interesting......but if you feel so inclined to discuss it....then please start a thread in the Friendly Banter section. Thank you.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-24, 08:11 PM
Topicality, eh? Er...It occurs to me that whatever travelling the Order of the Stick had to do to get to the Dungeon of Dorukan probably bests us all.

Maj
2004-08-25, 01:16 AM
Giant, I just want to say that even though I always laugh at OotS, I adored the line, "I'm a pineapple chunk!"

I laughed so hard I cried and spilled water all over my desk. That line gets added to my collection of stick quotes that has made it into everyday speech.

Thanx.

http://majik.be/smilies/maj.gif

Adghar
2004-08-25, 02:24 AM
Would the next update be a comic, or another set of convention strips? I wonder... I s'pose if the Giant was still sick, he would update with a real comic. But he might still be recovering.

BTW, I just now noticed that I'm already upgraded to Dwarf ;D *points to left* This is such an honor.

Lilly
2004-08-25, 04:28 PM
Elan wins the "Award for being redundant award" for: "Oh the stabbing blinding pain of being stabbed!" Once I got over the pineapple chunk that's the funniest line of the day.

Caledonian
2004-08-25, 08:24 PM
We're sorry about your illness, Giant. Hope you all feel better soon and that it's nothing serious. We're rooting for you.

I rather liked the digression strips. In fact, I'd like to see more things like them if Giant'd be willing. I suspect the main strip is skipping over a lot of the more rudimentary encounters the group is facing, but I'd be as interested in their ordinary actions as I am with the story.

The Giant
2004-08-26, 01:34 AM
Now that the real #98 is up, the filler strips are down temporarily; I can't keep them in the main thing because they screw up the numbering. However, they will be back soon in a new "Comics Extras" page that will also include my guest strips and fan art and stuff...I should get to it this weekend.

Adghar
2004-08-26, 01:47 AM
Whatever happened to the Teen Goblin Squad? Did they also get sprayed with BBQ sauce? Why didn't they warn the group about the trap?

Lilly
2004-08-26, 01:49 AM
Good comic, good comic!

What guest strips have you done other than 8-bit and the one guest panel in no fourth wall?

Tarlonniel
2004-08-26, 11:24 AM
Yup, the green teens bailed out just in time. BBQ sauce. Fantastic. ;D

Aralen
2004-08-26, 11:47 AM
who cares where the goblins are?

lol why bbq?

Lilly
2004-08-26, 12:14 PM
If you grill things it has to have bbq sauce.

and they were all out of ketchup.

enlight_bystand
2004-08-26, 05:31 PM
who cares where the goblins are?

lol why bbq?

These latest nasties have a Tomato Allergy?

Starbuck_II
2004-08-26, 05:36 PM
What about Fry Sauce? Its kinda like mayniose and ketchup together or something

Good comic though hehe.

Iron_Mouse
2004-08-26, 06:48 PM
What are these monsters, by the way? Linnorms?

Gdrad
2004-08-26, 07:22 PM
Hehe that comics awesome. I so wanna use that too. In a serous campaign suddenly SPLASH. "WHAT IS THIS"...oh its BBQ sauce. "WHA" *CHOMP*

Adghar
2004-08-26, 08:47 PM
That BBQ sauce looks like mud. Bleh. I bet you could make some freaky armor from hardened mud. I'm gonna write down some stats for a Mud Plate somewhere. Like, here!

Mud Plate
Armor Bonus: 4
Max Dex Bonus: 4
Skill Check Penalty: -4
Armor Type/Size/Whatever: Medium Armor
15 lb.s

Now for someone to go put it somewhere else so I can C&P it there.

MaxBrains
2004-08-26, 08:57 PM
That's pretty simple sauce. Maybe Xykon moonlights as a chef?

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-27, 02:07 PM
It occurs to me that (unless they drowned in the sauce or something) the teen-goblins are also defying their parents by not being cannon fodder that dies as soon as the heroes see it.

Tzor
2004-08-27, 04:31 PM
I don't know why BBQ sauce, only that BBQ sauce also makes a great marinade for any open flame cooking. A very long long time ago, (back in 1989 to be precise) I was working on a series of parody songs for Compuserve's British Legends. One of them was a parody of "My bonnie lies over the ocean" which was named "My digny likes over the ocean" becuase there was only one boat in the game.

One verse described the very condition we are talking about.

I'd like to sail over the ocean.
And even see old draggy Isle.
I'd bring my best Barbeque lotion.
And cook myself up in fine style!

MaxBrains
2004-08-27, 09:53 PM
You know what BBQ sauce is for. You've got to have it with meat, and these adventurers are pretty meaty (Well, Roy at least. Wonder why squid-thingy - don't say it, it's trademarked! - picked him over Vaarsuvius?) I suppose. Incidentally, did WOTC really (politely) ask to stop using these characters, actually serve a cease and decist, or was it all Giant's idea?

No, I don't think Xykon made that batch of sauce himself. He likely bought it included with the trap, like that nasty-nasty-super-nasty trap that poisoned Ray earlier. Right?

mossfoot
2004-08-28, 01:46 AM
Of course, if there is BBQ sauce, there seems to be a need for fire somewhere nearby as well ;)

MaxBrains
2004-08-28, 07:19 AM
Fire? They don't need fire. Barbeque used to mean -rreeaallyy ssllooww - cooking. Now, people quick-grill and use the sauce to make it taste more like the original. Soon, cooking meat will be a thing of the past in favor of convenience.

Adghar
2004-08-29, 01:46 PM
What bothers me is that the Giant doesn't update 9 hours early... then I'd get to read a freshly polished new comic right now...

Wren
2004-08-30, 12:52 AM
That goblin must be one high level rogue, to do that much subdual damage in one sneak attack.

Lilly
2004-08-30, 01:03 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

It happened again. Roy lost somone else. And almost blamed Belkar, again.

And V is a guy, he grills.

Grey Watcher
2004-08-30, 01:09 AM
Is it me, or is this the first time (apart from the Order of the Stick vs. Linear Guild bonanza) that we've seen Elan do anything in a fight other than

[sing]

Sing, sing, sing,
Sing the helpful bard song!

[/song]

Aurizen_Darkstar
2004-08-30, 01:25 AM
Mmmm, barbecued 2 headed dragon!

Now THAT'S good eatin'! ;D

Nighthawk4
2004-08-30, 05:07 AM
A Sneak Attack on a Rogue?

Presumably an Attack of Opportunity? ;)

Still, it sets things up nicely for Strip Number 100 - I have an idea for why Haley got kidnapped, but I am not going to say - in case Giant is forced to change it.

*Submits his idea for Strip Number 100 in a sealed envelope - not to be opened until Thursday* :)

MaxBrains
2004-08-30, 09:12 AM
... EW! :o

Aerysil1
2004-08-30, 09:19 AM
"... not my fault, couldn't even act in the surprise round."

If there's one thing the Order has, it's a gift for excuses :)

Tarlonniel
2004-08-30, 10:31 AM
Obviously the goblin rolled a crit and confirmed. Still, Haley's never gonna live this one down :P

mossfoot
2004-08-30, 10:41 AM
Hmmm... mabye the little kid wants to prove himself to daddy? (See daddy, aren't you proud of me?) ;)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-30, 12:30 PM
Hmmm... mabye the little kid wants to prove himself to daddy? (See daddy, aren't you proud of me?) ;)

Xykon probably just promised him Ye Olde X-Boxe if he brought him a hero.

"Ho ho! Now who's the pub snack!"

Sundog
2004-08-30, 02:02 PM
Oh come on guys, what's the ONE thing on any male teenager's mind, morning noon and night?

NOOKIE!

SimonMoon5
2004-08-30, 02:04 PM
Puppet pal Mitch: Knock Knock.

Puppet pal Clem: Who's there?

Puppet pal Mitch: A bonk on the head!

--------------------------------

Okay, the weapon sound effects are "pierce" for a piercing weapon, "slash" for the slashing weapon, "bludgeon" for the bludgeoning weapon... and "bonk" for the goblin's weapon, which must do "bonking" damage.

GypsyThorn
2004-08-30, 02:21 PM
...Still, it sets things up nicely for Strip Number 100 - I have an idea for why Haley got kidnapped, but I am not going to say - in case Giant is forced to change it.

On the other hand, I'm not shy about posting my theories. Since I've never been right before, no reason to believe I'm going to even come close this time. I'm thinking of two possibilities:

1) They're teenage boys (goblins, true, but hey, they're still teenage boys.) Whatever reason they had in mind when they kidnapped her, it's going to be all talk and no action until Haley's rescued.

2) When she comes to, they're going to pump her for dating advice.

Adghar
2004-08-30, 02:33 PM
Comic #12 comes to mind... (Freewebs, don't fail me now! :-/)

http://www.freewebs.com/adghar/haleysnkatk1.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/adghar/haleysnkatk2.gif
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
She's a proffet!!!! *points*

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-08-30, 05:58 PM
That goblin must be one high level rogue, to do that much subdual damage in one sneak attack.

Maybe it's an enchanted Club of Convenient Concussions +1.

Hobot
2004-08-30, 06:35 PM
"... not my fault, couldn't even act in the surprise round."

If there's one thing the Order has, it's a gift for excuses :)

I have no experience with DnD, can some enlightened person please explain this line?

Or perhaps I'm just missing the obvious...

Adghar
2004-08-30, 06:53 PM
In combat, there are rounds of 6 seconds. Combat is turn based. If it's not your turn, your character can't do ANYTHING, even talk. In surprise rounds, only people that are aware get turns. There was a surprise round of the goblin sneak attacking haley, and then normal combat of everyone else whupping the dragon.

And now that my image hosting has stopped my images from occuring, reread comic #12. Then read my post above.

Ravenproject
2004-08-31, 03:28 AM
I have no experience with DnD, can some enlightened person please explain this line?
In that case you are missing out all that is funny about OotS because 95% of the jokes are very tightly related to D&D and the rules of it. A good question arises. Do you think OotS can be funny for people not knowing D&D? I don't think so.

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-08-31, 09:33 AM
Eh, when I translate it I have my boyfriend (he's Italian, I'm a lowly Americano) look over the translation. He found it pretty funny, and he seems to get all the non-DnD-related jokes and even a few of the DnD-related jokes, even though he only played once with me for an hour.

Of course someone who doesn't play DnD isn't going to giggle insanely when one of the characters says "spot check" or "initiative," but I think the humor in OOTS comes from other stuff %75 of the time.

SimonMoon5
2004-08-31, 03:10 PM
Oh, another rules nitpick (sort of)... well, maybe not a rules nitpick, but a comment about Vaarsuvius.

If I were him, I wouldn't've cast fireball on the dragon-thingy. Having been sprayed with barbecue sauce, one presumes that a source of heat would be applied next. Seeing a lizard creature suggests that it might be the heat source. For example, it could well be a pyro-hydra, if it has more than one head.

Of course, pyro-hydras have the fire sub-type and are consequently immune to fire.

But from the previous strip, it's clear that it's not one creature, but several snake-bodied monsters. In fact, there are three, but the Order only kills two.

Regardless of what the creatures are, presumably they breathe fire, and every fire-breathing dragon that I can think of is immune to fire.

But maybe V-man expected some sort of house-brew creature that would be vulnerable to fire? Or maybe there's an official monster I'm forgetting?

Or maybe he just saw that the creature was green and assumed that that meant that it couldn't be immune to fire?

But if it wasn't immune to fire, it probably wouldn't breathe fire... but we have to assume that it would breathe fire...

Agh.

RawBearNYC
2004-08-31, 03:56 PM
Oh, another rules nitpick (sort of)... well, maybe not a rules nitpick, but a comment about Vaarsuvius.

If I were him, I wouldn't've cast fireball on the dragon-thingy. Having been sprayed with barbecue sauce, one presumes that a source of heat would be applied next. Seeing a lizard creature suggests that it might be the heat source. For example, it could well be a pyro-hydra, if it has more than one head.

Of course, pyro-hydras have the fire sub-type and are consequently immune to fire.

But from the previous strip, it's clear that it's not one creature, but several snake-bodied monsters. In fact, there are three, but the Order only kills two.

Regardless of what the creatures are, presumably they breathe fire, and every fire-breathing dragon that I can think of is immune to fire.

But maybe V-man expected some sort of house-brew creature that would be vulnerable to fire? Or maybe there's an official monster I'm forgetting?

Or maybe he just saw that the creature was green and assumed that that meant that it couldn't be immune to fire?

But if it wasn't immune to fire, it probably wouldn't breathe fire... but we have to assume that it would breathe fire...

Agh.

It's a pretty big presumption that the lizards breath fire. A) the lizards (they don't like much like dragons to me, anyway) may like that sauce on their adventurer tartar. B) the lizards may have had an off frame BBQ pit that we don't know about. C) Elves don't know from BBQ, so V might not have known that the application of fire was necessary.

If I spend more time on this, I'm sure I could find more holes in that theory, but I'm supposed to be working.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-31, 04:29 PM
On the other hand, I'm not shy about posting my theories. Since I've never been right before, no reason to believe I'm going to even come close this time. I'm thinking of two possibilities:

1) They're teenage boys (goblins, true, but hey, they're still teenage boys.) Whatever reason they had in mind when they kidnapped her, it's going to be all talk and no action until Haley's rescued.

2) When she comes to, they're going to pump her for dating advice.

Sell Haley to prove to parents they are grown up and shouldn't be treated as kids.
Second, use Haley to summon Immortal Baratose, they are cultists. :P

Lizards if eat coal can breathe fire if Land of the Lost taught me anything.

Hobot
2004-08-31, 05:59 PM
In that case you are missing out all that is funny about OotS because 95% of the jokes are very tightly related to D&D and the rules of it. A good question arises. Do you think OotS can be funny for people not knowing D&D? I don't think so.

I would appear to be an exception to your assertion because I find the strip exceedingly funny.

I think the humour is accessible to just about everyone most of the time. I certainly disagree with you that 95% of the jokes rely on DnD knowledge. At least half of the jokes could work in any other setting, the rest are fantasy oriented, and there's a short mention of DnD terminology here and there. Even when DnD terms and references are used they are usually self-explanatory and context oriented. In fact, to say that nearly all the jokes are tightly related to DnD is bordering on the absurd. Either that, or I've been grossly misinformed about DnD (dwarves going wild on crystal balls, barbecue sauce, divine hand puppets!?).

I think it's a credit to Mr. Burlew's work, that someone like me, with no DnD experience, has been consistently viewing and voting for his comic for about 6 months. Of all the web comics out there, I have to say that this comic is my favourite.

Nighthawk4
2004-08-31, 06:46 PM
On the subject of nit-picking:

1. There were at least two of those dragon-thingies in the pit. We only saw them kill one.

2. Elan's rapier got sundered by Belkar's voice earlier. Yet he still has it in a usable condition.

Not trying to be awkward or critical of Giant - just making the point that we have to allow a certain amount of artistic licence here - for the sake of the plot. ;)

Go for it, Giant - I am looking forward to number 100 :D

evileeyore
2004-08-31, 08:32 PM
On the subject of nit-picking:

I'll pick back.

1. There were at least two of those dragon-thingies in the pit. We only saw them kill one.

Three heads in the pit. Two awake and sniffing hungrily, one asleep. Two snakey heads died to the heroes, wanna guess where the sleeping one is?

2. Elan's rapier got sundered by Belkar's voice earlier. Yet he still has it in a usable condition.

Behold the Sundering! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=17)

Then 11 strips later, Haley is the first to see and feel Elan's 'weapon of choice' (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=28)...

Thusly The Giant's Artistic License Is Upheld!

Ta-Da!--EvilE

Editted for formatting

Potato_the_Great
2004-08-31, 10:08 PM
Nice strip Giant. Keep up the good work.

Adghar
2004-08-31, 10:34 PM
Does no one care about the coincidence I found? Read the first 5 or so squares of #12 and then read #99.

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-08-31, 11:40 PM
I think it's just a coincidence, bud ;)

Prince_Stefano
2004-09-01, 01:47 AM
I thought dragons were immune to magic (Talking about when teh mage blasted teh dragonz wid teh fireballz).

Adghar
2004-09-01, 12:44 PM
All the more reason that the creature that was blasted with a fireball was a Lizard.

Starbuck_II
2004-09-01, 01:32 PM
I thought dragons were immune to magic (Talking about when teh mage blasted teh dragonz wid teh fireballz).
V could have got lucky and beat the spell resistance.
Lets see around 6th level wizard +1d20, yeah she could do it.

Adghar
2004-09-01, 04:27 PM
Rich suggested in the FAQ that they were around 9th level.