PDA

View Full Version : Rakes, Creepers, and a MitV.

Triaxx
2008-02-16, 08:49 PM
I'm looking for some advice on making a monster, or group thereof. I've never done one before so I need some assistance.

I have a group who is getting up in levels and needs a suitable challenge. While re-reading the Sword of Shannara, I ran across the perfect monstrosity for them to fight, the Monster in the Valley. Unfortunately, most of the monsters I've made have either been Fiated, or Templated. Can anyone help me make these things work? I do have the books with all the relevant descriptions if required.

I am assuming though that one of these would likely be sufficient to utterly destroy one or more Damn Crabs.

Triaxx
2008-02-18, 03:54 PM
Creeper
Huge/Magical Beast
HD 6d10 (120+30)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
Init: -1
AC 20; touch 20; flat-footed 19
(12 AC, 8 NA)
BAB +7; Grp +16
Attack Claw (Bludgeoning) +7 [Melee]
(2d4, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack +7/+2 (2d4, 19-20/x2)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Slam
Special Qualities Thick skin
Saves Fort +33 Ref +29 Will -1
Abilities Str 25, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 6, Cha 3
Skills Tumble
Feats Power Attack, Cleave
Environment Ruins
Organization Solitary, Pair 2, Troupe 6-10
Challenge Rating 9
Treasure 1200 gold
Alignment Always N
Advancement by HD
Level Adjustment +4

Slam (Ex): As part of a full attack a Creeper may throw itself against a target for 2d6 damage. A creeper may use it's Slam attack to initiate a Grapple.

Thick Skin (Su): The outer hide of a creeper is sufficiently thick so as to prevent arrows from doing damage, except with critical hits, and completely negates slings.

Szilard
2008-02-18, 04:58 PM
Creeper... those giant part metal things? I have read the Heritage of Shanara series a while ago.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-18, 05:47 PM
The first thing you should do is work out what abilities they will all have in common and then set them in stone as it were. I think the SRD standard is to have this list of common abilities at the start and then allow it to be assumed each subsequant creature has them.

Triaxx
2008-02-18, 08:04 PM
I'll quote Terry Brooks directly, this is from Druid of Shannara, since I can't lay hands on Scions:

The Rake stood in the center of the street, a huge, splay-legged metal monster with dozens of tentacles and feelers, pincers that gaped from it's maw, and a whip like tail. It was a Creeper like the one the outlaws of the Movement had faced at the Jut, comprised of metal and flesh, a hybrid nightmare of machine and insect.

And from the Sword of Shannara:

Forth from it's place of concealment emergyed a grayish multilegged horror of monstrous size. A nightmare mutation of living flesh and machine, its crooked legs balanced a body formed half of metal plating, half of coarse haired flesh. An insect-like head bobbed fitfully on a neck of metal. Tentacles tipped with stingers dipped slightly above two glowing eyes and savage jaws that snapped with hunger.

Incidently, I don't recall the Creepers being described with tentacles, and to my knowledge only the MitV was described with stingers.

Szilard
2008-02-18, 10:27 PM
I remember the rake now, that was the blind guy from the stone city right?

Triaxx
2008-02-19, 08:07 AM
*scratches head* The Maw Grint was a huge blind worm, and the Koden was a blind, mutated bear, but I think the Rake was able to see.

Szilard
2008-02-19, 10:28 AM
I knew at least two of them were blind.

Triaxx
2008-02-19, 07:34 PM
It does help when you have the book for reference. Anything look wrong in the monster I listed?

Szilard
2008-02-19, 08:03 PM
Huge creatures are 15 by 15 feet and you didn't specify a HD number.
They seem more like constructs to me. And I found this on Wikipedia:

Creepers are gigantic monstrosities. They were designed by the Men of the Old World, and were used in the Great Wars. They were originally operated by humans, but later became autonomous. Most were destroyed, but a few still survived.

In the New World, The Creepers were first discovered by Federation soldiers, who used it in their war against the Dwarves. Creepers are nearly impossible to destroy, and Padishar Creel was the only human who ever managed to kill one, by stabbing it with a ballista bolt. Several others were used in battle against the Elves. In addition, entirely metallic Creepers were found in the land of Parkasia. Shadowen Creepers had magic augmentation and needed magic to live, like their masters. (The Talismans of Shannara)

Triaxx
2008-02-20, 08:52 AM
I knew I was missing something. And that's because I forgot to push it up when I changed from large. I considered constructs, but realized then that Thick Skin would be pointless then. But the other option is DR to eliminate arrows, and they still wouldn't penetrate on crits.

Yeril
2008-02-20, 09:56 AM
Make it DR 10/Slash or somthing

That way, 99% of arrows won't even hurt it, and only the strongest of archers and most powerful bows, or the luckiest of hits, will be able to deal even a small amount of damage.

I speak as an NPC of course, who only a freakishly strong person (16 Str) with a very expensive and powerful bow (Comp Longbows (+3) are 400gp!) can deal at best, 11 damage and hurt it.

Triaxx
2008-02-20, 08:07 PM
That's true, but that was sort of the idea with Thick Skin. Wasn't there a living construct sub-type though, with the normal construct tricks, but vulnerable to Crits? Or am I thinking of something else?