PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecked! Quest: The Sunken Ship



storyteller
2008-02-17, 02:27 PM
Trained swimmers can take 10 when not threatened or distracted. In other words, anyone with 1 or more ranks in Swim can reach the ship by taking 10. The DC to swim or dive is 10.

The main deck of the ship is just 15 feet below the water surface. In other words, it takes one full-round action to reach it from the surface when you're directly above it. From there you can access the cabins and lower decks. Make sure you'll return to the surface before you have to make Constitution checks.

Which place do you want to go to first? What equipment do you take with you? Post a reply to this thread to start the quest.

Here's the map (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MW_Stormwrack/01_Stormwrack_150_ppi_dfg19.jpg).

Relevant rules:
Underwater combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#underwaterCombat)
The Swim skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm)
Water dangers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#waterDangers)

Zombie pixe
2008-02-17, 04:54 PM
i stand at the shore and wait for others to come and help, im carrying my moringstar, after putting the rest of my stuff in a safe place. (that is everything but the shovel and the barrels)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 05:19 PM
Ovias Greybeard will participate, unless 6 better swimmers come forwards. I assume we will be taking the lifeboat with us, so we needn't get tired swimming there and so we have someplace to leave whatever we happen to find. Also, I assume this won't be happening until things have stabilised somewhat in the IC thread? Roostin (TwoCents) has already claimed command (and I won't be the one disputing it), but neither him nor Ovias have time to go salvaging right now

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 05:38 PM
Roostin

Roostin's first goal was to get the bodies under cover and proper burials started; now that others seemed to have that in hand he could think about salvage from the ship. He picked up his hatchet, a coil of rope, block and tackle, a grappling hook, and his spear and put the gear in one of the boats. The sailor then checked the oars to make sure all was ready for the salvage party.

Roostin straightened up and stretched his back muscles, and then checked the status of the survival rations usually stowed in the lifeboats. If possible, he took a sip of water; if there was none, he dealt with thirst as he had often done during his years at sea. Cain't do nothing to he'p it, so no sense in worrying 'bout it.

He turned to the other man standing there. "Hey, there. Ah'm Roostin, one of the ship's company. Ah don't think ah know your name?" He held out a heavily callused hand to the other. "If you ain't planning on using that shovel right now, Ah think they need it for buryin' folks. Ah'l take it up there for you, if'n you want. Ah'l be back for the salvage but ah'm gonna try and get some more of our people took care of."

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 06:09 PM
Roostin

OOC:

I think our first needs are going to be food and water, followed by weapons and tools.

Assuming the water barrels are tied down and under water, what is the possibility that they would still be drinkable (i.e., how watertight are they?)

Profession(Sailor) +3

Also, we need to snag the ship's rations; salt beef, hardtack, etc. At least some of it should be edible (at the very least, the salted meat won't suffer any damage from saltwater, and the hardtack might get mushy but maybe our cook can come up with something...)

Were there weapons on board? If so, where were they? Ditto for tools.

I don't necessarily want to say "let's go in the forward hatch and go to compartment 8", so much as "let's go where the food is"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 06:10 PM
OOC:

OK, from storyteller's words in the OOC thread, this happens at some point in the week when we have free time. I've no idea how to even explain that in character, so I'm not even going to try. Sorry.

IC:

Ovias walks up to Roostin and tells him, "Good day, Goodman Rroostin. I hearr you arre planning on going to the ship forr salvage. I wonderr, is therre space forr me? I am not the best swimmerr, but I can hold my brreath for a long time, and I am strrong. Also, my frriend Mara has need of a few things which I believe may be found in the ship. She will take carre of my things while we arre away"

"By the way, what did happen to the ship? Why did it catch on firre? Do you have any ideas? I find it harrd to believe that the bilges could burrn"

OOC:

TwoCents, I doubt we can get water out. Barrels won't be watertight enough, and even if they were they're too heavy. Food we may be able to salvage, but we can get that by fishing and hunting easily enough. Tools most of us carry in equipment. What we need to look for is those things we could not pay for: weapons, armour and, as a priority if there is one, healers kits.

jagadaishio
2008-02-17, 07:03 PM
Maria

Overhearing Roostin and Greybeard discussing the prospect of salvaging underwater, Maria walks slowly up to the pair. "I would be willing to help if you need an extra pair of hands. I could get a lot more food this way than hunting if we find a case of hard tack."

sickler
2008-02-17, 07:55 PM
Ben

After seeing that all the dead had been buried and that Mara didn't require his help taking care of the injured anymore (though all he had done was carry them off the beach into the shade of the trees, Ben wasn't all to useful for helping Mara past that), the young man approached the gathering of people on the beach who were discussing salvaging from the ship.

"I'll help." volunteered Ben, "I can swim well, hold my breath, carry nearly anything; I'm the best guy you got." A grin grew on his face.

Shademan
2008-02-18, 03:04 AM
Zavulon walked up next to Grey. "we're going for a swim?" he said with a mildly humorous tone.

storyteller
2008-02-18, 06:21 AM
Roostin

OOC:

I think our first needs are going to be food and water, followed by weapons and tools.

Assuming the water barrels are tied down and under water, what is the possibility that they would still be drinkable (i.e., how watertight are they?)

Profession(Sailor) +3

Also, we need to snag the ship's rations; salt beef, hardtack, etc. At least some of it should be edible (at the very least, the salted meat won't suffer any damage from saltwater, and the hardtack might get mushy but maybe our cook can come up with something...)

Were there weapons on board? If so, where were they? Ditto for tools.

I don't necessarily want to say "let's go in the forward hatch and go to compartment 8", so much as "let's go where the food is"

Roostin knows that most of the food supplies were in the cargo hold. Water barrels are far too heavy to lift. None of the sailors or passengers were heavily armed, but you may find personal weapons - generally speaking inexpensive simple weapons like those you're carrying yourself. Tools can probably found in every part of the ship. If you're looking for a healer's kit, it's probably in one of the cabins on the main deck.

You may search the cabins one at a time and each time return to the lifeboat with what you've found. Just tell me which place you want to search first and if you're doing the searching in one big group or maybe taking turns.

smartaleq
2008-02-18, 10:36 AM
As the few approach the lifeboats to go out for salvage, Gil Gil follows and wordlessly gets in the lifeboat with his pack.

For now, he will stay above water and wait for news from the other divers. In his pack he has his tools: a net, rope, and block and tackle. Perhaps at the direction of another character he could help out?

Spot surface water for fins, flotsam etc.[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 01:56 PM
As the few approach the lifeboats to go out for salvage, Gil Gil follows and wordlessly gets in the lifeboat with his pack.

For now, he will stay above water and wait for news from the other divers. In his pack he has his tools: a net, rope, and block and tackle. Perhaps at the direction of another character he could help out?

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Hi, therre, neighbourr. You look in need of direction" said Ovias, "Unforrtunately, you will have to be patient a little longerr, since we arre waiting for Rroostin therre to decide on the actual team".

Taking a good look at the Tall, he realised something "You know, whomeverr goes out therre should go down in teams, so if anything werre to happen to one of them, the otherrs could pull him out beforre something bad happens. The ship is too small forr six at the same time, but two teams of three or thrree ot two would be perrfect, I think"

Shademan
2008-02-18, 03:40 PM
"maybe we should ask clerky? he's the 'organizer'." Zavulon says to none in particular.
"meh, what do i care?" and with that, he dressed down to only his undies and strapped his dagger to his leg. "lets loot"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 04:11 PM
"maybe we should ask clerky? he's the 'organizer'." Zavulon says to none in particular.
"meh, what do i care?" and with that, he dressed down to only his undies and strapped his dagger to his leg. "lets loot"

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Zavulon, arre you surre you want to wearr so little? When diving, it is a good idea to carrry just enough weight to allow you to walk on surrfaces - parrticularrly when explorring a crramped place like the ship. Of courrse, you also want to be able to swim, so I will be taking, if chosen to go, my leatherr aprron and my clothes, except the boots."

He thought for a second, then added "Of courrse, if we rrun onto trrouble, it'll be nice to have my aprron to protect me, too. But hopefully we will not. We arre woefully unprreparred for any kind of combat, even morre so underrwater"

Zombie pixe
2008-02-18, 04:44 PM
Eric

*Hops in boat*

Im all willing, lets be off if we are all ready? who is rowing?

What trouble will we face?

*looks lovingly at moring star*

storyteller
2008-02-19, 03:56 AM
Eric, Ovias, Roostin, Maria, Ben, Zavulon and Gil Gil have volunteered. Gil Gil was the seventh volunteer, so he cannot go with you unless someone else decides not to go.

Grey Wolf, remember that Ovias's land speed is 20 feet, and therefore he can only swim 10 feet as a full-round action (for the rest of you it's 15 ft per round).

So, what's your plan? Two groups of three taking turns, one group staying in the boat while the other group is diving, or how?

Shademan
2008-02-19, 04:12 AM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Zavulon, arre you surre you want to wearr so little? When diving, it is a good idea to carrry just enough weight to allow you to walk on surrfaces - parrticularrly when explorring a crramped place like the ship. Of courrse, you also want to be able to swim, so I will be taking, if chosen to go, my leatherr aprron and my clothes, except the boots."

He thought for a second, then added "Of courrse, if we rrun onto trrouble, it'll be nice to have my aprron to protect me, too. But hopefully we will not. We arre woefully unprreparred for any kind of combat, even morre so underrwater"

"maybe..." Zavulon answeared the dwarf. suddenly he stroke a pose and said smugly "but i look much hote'er without them clothes." He grinned to signalise that he wasnt really that serious.


OOC: that sounds about right to me. three in the boat, three in the water. should we tie a rock to a rope and pull the rope if we get in trouble?
also: can i say "hot'er" ? it dosnt strike me as a very medieval word...

smartaleq
2008-02-19, 11:35 AM
Before the lifeboat sets out, Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058) approaches Ovias and attempts to communicate

OOC: This is intended for Ovias, Storyteller, and anyone watching Gil approaches Ovias, and bends over to put his hand on Ovias' shoulder to get his attention. Gil then stands erect at his full height, points at his feet and his head, as if to say "I'm bigger". The Gil holds his out his left hand showing a neatly folded net, and points to it. He arches his eyebrows, and points to the lifeboat insistently. You get the impression he wants to take your place on the dive, and can perceive some value in having nets in an underwater environment.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-19, 04:39 PM
Before the lifeboat sets out,
Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058)
approaches Ovias and attempts to communicate

OOC: This is intended for Ovias, Storyteller, and anyone
watching Gil approaches Ovias, and bends over to put his
hand on Ovias' shoulder to get his attention. Gil then stands erect at
his full height, points at his feet and his head, as if to say "I'm
bigger". The Gil holds his out his left hand showing a neatly folded
net, and points to it. He arches his eyebrows, and points to the
lifeboat insistently. You get the impression he wants to take your
place on the dive, and can perceive some value in having nets in an
underwater environment.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias looks up at the human, grasping the basic ideas of his signs. "Daft human! Yes, you may be biggerr, but I am strongerr! If we arre equal swimmerrs, where you would flounderr in the sea, I will pull ahead. If you think that having a net is so imporrtant, I can take one - if you won't lend me "yourrs", I'm sure I saw anotherr I can take - and I can carry farr morre weight while swimming. And hopefully you werre not planning to use that forr a fight - you've clearrly neverr trried to do so, but you would soon discoverr that it is morre a hinderrance than a help - especially down therre. I am sorrry, but I will not leave my place for someone clearrly more unsuitable than me"

Turning to the others, Ovias remarks "I don't think we should continue to wait forr Rrostin to make the move. Let's starrt prreparring, and he can catch up laterr.". With that, Ovias looks for several heavy (10-15 pound) rocks, and adds them to the boat. Seeing the confused looks of his companions, he explains "My shorterr arrms don't allow me to swim as fast, but that is easily fixed by letting a good sized rrock do it forr me. This boat can carrry us and them -and if not, I'll just thrrow them overrboarrd. But then, I fearr we shall not be able to rrescue much, if the boat is alrready at its maximum carrrying ability!"

OOC: I have swim +2 as opposed to his swim +0 due to my (and
his) strength (12/9). Also, I would like to point out I've no idea how
he managed to get exotic weapon proficiency (net) since it requires
base attack +1, and that a fishing net is nothing like a battle net
anyway.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-19, 05:31 PM
Eric, Ovias, Roostin, Maria, Ben, Zavulon and Gil Gil have volunteered. Gil Gil was the seventh volunteer, so he cannot go with you unless someone else decides not to go.

Grey Wolf, remember that Ovias's land speed is 20 feet, and therefore he can only swim 10 feet as a full-round action (for the rest of you it's 15 ft per round).

So, what's your plan? Two groups of three taking turns, one group staying in the boat while the other group is diving, or how?

OOC:
I'm thinking, and Ovias would propose (but will spare you the whole accent thing) that three teams of two are best - one in the boat, the others going down nearby but independently, in rotation. Cabins are not so big that you want three people fighting to go in or out, and having four people is best if something happens.

Yes, I am aware that Ovias swims more slowly, and had already thought of the rocks (I've been having trouble posting, though)

Grey Wolf

sickler
2008-02-19, 09:11 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Coiling his rope and tossing it in the boat, Ben adds to Ovias' comments, "We had better be quick about it. Once the sun goes down, not even the fullest moon will make it possible for us to spot much under the water."

As they discussed how they should dive, once it was determined they would swim in pairs, Ben put his hand on the shoulder on the tall brewer. "You look like you could keep up with me." Ben chuckled, "You can be my diving partner. Ben's the name."


OOC:
yah, the servers must have been suffering these last couple days because they're slowly getting worse and worse. Right now seems to be pretty good though, so it might just be the amount of people trying to access them during the day.

Shademan
2008-02-20, 01:46 AM
"right then, shall we get this boat out there and start swimmin'?" Zavulon said and gripped the boat, ready to push it offshore.

storyteller
2008-02-20, 05:02 AM
OOC:

Yep, let's get started.

So, three teams of two it is. Ben & Eric are team #1. We need another team of two to get started, and the remaining two volunteers shall stay in the boat for the time being.

Shademan
2008-02-20, 05:12 AM
OOC:
Zavulon and Grey will be team two, yeah?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-20, 07:52 AM
OOC:
Zavulon and Grey will be team two, yeah?

Ovias claps Zavulon in the back (as high up as he can reach) and proclaims "We'll be another team. Smithy team!"

storyteller
2008-02-20, 10:11 AM
OOC:

Great! Team 1 and team 2, choose two locations (one for each team) you want to search first.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-20, 01:49 PM
Ovias recalls the shape of the ship and says: "Since I am parrticularrly interrested in finding the firrst aid kit, I suggest we starrt with the cabins in the main deck - the ones in the back. As I said, we should worrk independently but stay close in case we need help from the otherr team"

Thinking ahead, he adds "Also, we should agrree some basic hand signs for communication - go up, go down, help, dangerr, come and I found something"

OOC: That is, numbers 3 and 4. Ovias' preference is to take 3 (which looks more promising)

Shademan
2008-02-20, 01:56 PM
Zavulon

"same fer me" Zavulon shrugged "not trying to be bossy, but you two *points at eric and ben* should see if you find any usable food." he looked out on the ocean "bit you do as you want... maybe we should get that human friend of yours to stand by the beach with a warm fire and readyness to fix... wounds?" He asked Grey.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-20, 02:06 PM
Zavulon

"same fer me" Zavulon shrugged "not trying to be bossy, but you two *points at eric and ben* should see if you find any usable food." he looked out on the ocean "bit you do as you want... maybe we should get that human friend of yours to stand by the beach with a warm fire and readyness to fix... wounds?" He asked Grey.

"Do not worrry, Zavulon" Ovias answered, "She is an intelligent fraulein, farr morre capable than she herrself believes, and I'm surre she will be expecting us to get into trrouble. As forr food, I think we have alrready discoverred we can fish and hunt enough forr ourr needs. I'd prrioritise useful things and weapons above food - although if you find nothing by food, we'd better go back up with something rratherr than empty hands"

Shademan
2008-02-20, 02:21 PM
Zavulon shrugged "just thought that we could stockpile some food... ANYWAYS! Lets get deep!"

storyteller
2008-02-21, 03:48 AM
Ovias and Zavulon (Team 2 or "Team Darkvision") jump into water and start diving towards the Captain's Mess (number 3). Together the strong dwarf and half-orc force the door open. Ovias takes a look inside and a startled look on his face tells Zavulon that something's wrong...

The captain is still sitting in his rocking chair, his dead eyes still open and fixed on the door. You notice a stab wound to his chest... and his dead fingers still clutching the hilt of his beautifully crafted rapier, half-drawn out of its sheath.

The room is in disarray, clothes and other personal items strewn about as though someone had rummaged through the drawers.

---

OOC: I'm assuming that Team 1 follows shortly behind, taking another number on the map. Team 2, do you want to search the room or the captain's body?

Shademan
2008-02-21, 09:35 AM
Zavulon's eyes widened. The captain was MURDERED!!!
Zavulon reached out and poked the body to make sure it was dead...and not worse!

storyteller
2008-02-21, 11:46 AM
Zavulon pokes the captain. A small stream of bubbles comes from his mouth but otherwise there's no reaction whatsoever. He's very much dead.

Shademan
2008-02-21, 12:30 PM
reassured that the dead captain was very dead (and not UN-dead) Zavulon pulls the rapier (with scabbard) out of the dead captains hands.

sickler
2008-02-21, 01:24 PM
reassured that the dead captain was very dead (and not UN-dead) Zavulon pulls out the dagger from his chest and strap it on his leg along with the other dagger.

OOC:
I think he only had a wound, not a dagger, in his chest. Also, I'm just waiting for my partner to make himself active in the thread again before I start diving..

Zombie pixe
2008-02-21, 03:03 PM
((ok, yea, sorry. um,))

i search the cabin that contains the dead captain

Zombie pixe
2008-02-21, 03:06 PM
((ok, yea, sorry. um,))

i search the cabin that contains the dead captain

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-21, 03:39 PM
((ok, yea, sorry. um,))

i search the cabin that contains the dead captain

OOC: Errr.. then that'd be three of us in the same room - the idea was to be close, but not that close. Mind if Zavulon and Ovias check room 3 and you take another? I suggested earlier you take 4, close in case Mr Dead Captain turns out to be dangerous, but not in the way if he turns out to be very dangerous and we have to leave in a hurry.

IC: Ovias ignores the dead captain, seeing Zavulon already had that angle covered, and spends some time examining the room. If there is a chest, he won't open it but will instead try to lift it. If he can lift it on his own, he does. Otherwise, he signals Zavulon to give him a hand. He also checks any cupboards and drawers he can see as long as he doesn't run out of air. He moves quickly and methodically, carefully remembering what he has checked in case he needs to come back for a second attempt later.

Unless, of course, there is some danger, in which case Ovias will act depending on what the danger is.

Shademan
2008-02-21, 03:55 PM
Zavulon will help Oviasif he signalize it. if not, he will search cupboards, shelves, generaly search!

search:
_: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=4292)

sickler
2008-02-21, 04:24 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Diving down with Eric, Ben opts to enter the Lower Deck and begins searching the main compartment (9).

Actions: Full-turn movement to ship, remaining breath 26 turns, search check (-1 modifier) [roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-21, 04:42 PM
ok. ill search room 10.

[roll0]

((wow, now that was effective :smallannoyed:))

storyteller
2008-02-22, 02:57 AM
OOC:

Remember, each standard action or full-round action uses 2 rounds from your breathing duration. Every 15 feet you move is one full-round action (10 feet for Ovias).

Zavulon and Ovias find the following items:


Signet ring
A wooden box sealed with wax
A scroll case (hidden under captain's bed)
Ink and sheets or paper (ruined)
Beautifully crafted rapier (Zavulon took it)
Courtier's outfit
5 dresses (2 x blue, pink, green, white)


Ben and Eric see two bodies in the main compartment (9)

Ben finds the following items:

Hooded lantern
A small barrel of oil (6 pints)
Handaxe
Leather pouch (full of coins)
Coil of rope (50')
Saw
Wooden planks
Small wooden box full of iron nails


Eric finds a hammer.

Shademan
2008-02-22, 03:11 AM
how many turns must team darkvision use if we'l take everything but the ruined stuff?

storyteller
2008-02-22, 06:04 AM
It takes 2 full-round actions to take everything you've found (except the ruined stuff). Do you want to take the items to the boat?

Shademan
2008-02-22, 07:50 AM
they all seem pretty usefull one way or another so i say YES!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 11:58 AM
OOC: I agree - it seems we've pretty much cleaned out that room, so Ovias takes up everything that's not ruined. If he has some carrying capacity, he also takes anything he can that is not bolted to the floor (chairs/barrels/etc). not that there will be much of that.

Once in the boat, Ovias talks with Zavulon about the next room, and suggests (4), unless Ben & Eric surface and tell us to help with Ben's cache (not sure if they can bring it all up). If they go to 4, Ovias don't use the rocks to hasten the plunge since it is close enough, but saves them for lower decks.

Shademan
2008-02-22, 12:13 PM
Zavulon agrees.
search check: _: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=4294)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 12:42 PM
Ovias searches taking 10 + 2 = 12. Again, he is particularly interested in anything that looks like healer's kits (unless that was it sealed with wax?)

storyteller
2008-02-22, 04:48 PM
You enter the dining room (4). With your Search checks, you find the following items:

Bell
Bottle of wine
6 candles
Clay jug
8 clay tankards
Iron pot


No bodies here.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 05:08 PM
You enter the dining room (4). With your Search checks, you find the following items:

Bell
Bottle of wine
6 candles
Clay jug
8 clay tankards
Iron pot


No bodies here.

Assuming I have enough time to do a second search, I give it a second try:
[roll0]

If I don't have the time, I just take those things are take them up to the boat (be greedy now, selective later)

sickler
2008-02-22, 05:20 PM
Ben ignores the bodies and tries to carry up as much as possible, prioritizing the hooded lantern, barrel of oil, handaxe, saw and box full of nails.

After securing that stuff in the boat, Ben will dive back down and search the Lower Deck rooms (10s) with Eric.

Search [roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-22, 06:12 PM
i help ben take up any of the stuff he missed, while looking rather smug at my hammer finding skills.

when i go back down i search room 11.

[roll0]

((argh!!!!!! sorry about this everyone, eric seems to lack underwater vision :smallannoyed:))

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 06:53 PM
((argh!!!!!! sorry about this everyone, eric seems to lack underwater vision :smallannoyed:))

OOC: I wouldn't worry that much, so long as Ben continues to find everything right down to the spare change behind the sofa. Seriously, with his rolls he could easily find a needle in a haystack. You can help him carry up the stuff. After all, that's one reason why we pair - to increase our chances.

sickler
2008-02-22, 08:14 PM
OOC: I should start using the roller here for my regular DnD games

jagadaishio
2008-02-22, 10:36 PM
Maria remains in the boat for the time being, hauling in goods, dumping excess water out of containers, and drying off goods better left not wet. She is perfectly willing to dive down and help if anyone needs help moving something, but she can't hold her breath long enough to dive and help in the actual search.

Shademan
2008-02-23, 03:54 AM
Zavulon helps Grey with getting the stuff into the boat.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 04:47 AM
Zavulon helps Grey with getting the stuff into the boat.

Ovias will take some time to rescue the ship's sails, using the hatchet rescued by the second team if necessary (although will try to save whatever ropes are holding the sails for salvage, too, if possible), also giving him time to regain some strength after the two consecutive dies. He tries to convince Maria and Zavulon to help him, saying that big pieces of cloth will be necessary for building shelter. Since the masts are visible, it shouldn't be hard to get to the sails themselves (and since the ship sunk due to fire in the hold, they should still be attached and intact)

Shademan
2008-02-23, 05:02 AM
as helpfull as ever. Zavulon agrees to assist Grey.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 05:42 AM
as helpfull as ever. Zavulon agrees to assist Grey.

"Thank you, frriend Zavulon," says Ovias before rowing to the nearest mast, "I must admit, the firrst day you seemed rready to take the easy way, but you have since demonstrrated you arre willing to worrk hard. I look forrwarrd to the day when we worrk side by side in a smithy"

With that, Ovias gets in the water and gets working on the sails.

Shademan
2008-02-23, 06:39 AM
Zavulon smiled to himself and jumped into the water again, to help Ovias with the sail.

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 10:10 AM
Maria takes her dagger between her teeth and begins making dives with Ovias and Zavulon, untying what she can on the sails before her air runs out, cutting what she can't, trying to ruin as little rope as possible. She keeps this cycle up, pausing to float at the surface occasionally to catch her breath again, until the sails are released or something else requires her attention.

storyteller
2008-02-23, 11:03 AM
The three of you manage to rescue the sails. Some of them have been torn in the wreck, but it's nothing you can't fix with sewing needle and thread.

Ovias didn't find anything else of value in the dining room.

Eric goes to room 11. The drawers in this room contain dozens of stacks of paper documents, but soaked in sea water, they are completely illegible now. You find nothing interesting here.

Ben searches the three rooms marked with number 10. In one of the rooms, Ben finds the body of a passenger in a bed. Apparently he was asleep when the fire started and he suffocated by inhaling smoke.

You find the following items:

Sack of potatoes
Rusty dagger
35 sp in a leather pouch
Small steel mirror
1 lb. of soap
Waterskin
Sewing needle
Spool of thread
Brass horn

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 11:31 AM
The three of you manage to rescue the sails. Some of them have been torn in the wreck, but it's nothing you can't fix with sewing needle and thread.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias thanks Maria for her help with the sails and leaves her to folding them and squeezing water out of them so they fit in the boat. Assuming they still have space for more junk, Ovias suggests to Zavulon to finish their examination of the main deck by going to the passenger's bedroom at the front of the ship (6). As before, Ovias will first take 10 (representing a general combing of the room) (for 10+2) and then will trust luck to find things in strange places (roll: [roll0])

Two questions:
1) is the captain's daughter still unaccounted for? Or is it one of the beach bodies/living NPCs/dead people in the ship?
2) Has the other team noticed if the hatch to the hold in the lower deck is open or closed?

storyteller
2008-02-23, 12:41 PM
In room 6, Ovias finds the following items:

Small barrel of ale
2 bedrolls
case of 10 crossbow bolts
silver necklace


Nelle's body has not been found nor have you seen her alive after the shipwreck. It is uncertain what happened to her. The same goes for the first mate.

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 01:00 PM
Maria rolls up all of the sails and then tilts them over the side of the small boat, allowing the water to run out of the (waxed? oiled?) canvas. After finishing this, she dives back down, dagger between her teeth, looking for anything lashed to the outer deck which she could take back up. She doesn't go into any rooms or below decks because of how short her air supply is.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 01:17 PM
In room 6, Ovias finds the following items:

Small barrel of ale
2 bedrolls
case of 10 crossbow bolts
silver necklace


Nelle's body has not been found nor have you seen her alive after the shipwreck. It is uncertain what happened to her. The same goes for the first mate.

To keep this moving forward, Ovias surfaces with the loot and then goes down to room (8) in his next dive. I am assuming that Zavulon follows me, ((and that Shademan will publish his search throws later)). Whilst at the boat, he suggests Maria to tie the boat to the central mast so she needn't worry about it drifting away while we're all underwater, and that she concentrates on ropes, that there should be plenty of around the main deck.

Room 8 is a little further in than what he's been searching so far, but I believe he has plenty of air: 1 round to the staircase opening in the main deck, another to get above the hatch (is it open?) and a third to get through the door - plenty of time to search (10+2) and then search randomly, as usual (roll: [roll0]

Shademan
2008-02-23, 03:12 PM
ooc: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19 search.
allright! potatoes! if we can make them grow on the island we can get a steady income of booze!

IC: Zavulon silently follows Ovias and assist him.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-23, 04:39 PM
((oooooh, never guess whos gona volanteer to grow and produce them... :smalltongue: :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: ))

I help Zavulon take up the other stuff, and when i surface i tell everyone:

there is nothing in the other room i searched.

shall we do the cargo hold?

Shademan
2008-02-23, 05:13 PM
zavulon unloaded the last of the stuff. the human suggested to loot the cargo hold. "yeah. lets." Zavulon growled.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-23, 05:17 PM
i go down and search the first room in the cargohold (sorry, i cant remember the number, its the one that has the stairs in it :smallredface: )

[roll0]

((so sorry guys, it seems eric really cannot search ANYTHING :smallredface: :smalltongue: ))

Shademan
2008-02-23, 05:28 PM
zavulon searches then: Roll(1d20)+1:
16,+1
Total:17

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 05:53 PM
Maria ties off the boat to the main mast while she's under and turns her efforts back to freeing up things from the main deck. This includes barrels, loose boards, and loose nails.

She also takes 10 on a search for the main deck to find anything (11) and makes a less general search with the following roll:
[roll0]

I assume she has time to dive and surface more than once while the others are searching the ship.

storyteller
2008-02-23, 07:26 PM
Ovias and Zavulon search room 8. They find the following items:

bucket
soap (2 lb.)
mops, brushes, etc.
bottle of rum


You enter the cargo hold. It's very dark in there because there's no light source (humans cannot see beyond 5 feet). Moreover, the water is blackened by the soot from the burnt wood (each square has concealment, miss chance 20%). You notice three charred bodies here... the sailors that went to put out the fire...

(Those who can see in the dark:) You notice something moving in the cargo hold... swimming towards you...

OOC: You may still leave. If you decide to stay, roll Initiative.

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 12:41 AM
Roostin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8613)

Roostin occupied himself with helping haul stuff into the boat and stow it safely, using his knowledge of boat operations to keep from swamping the vessel. When Maria began to recover the sails, he dove with her, trying to salvage the sails and ropes as whole as possible. He had stripped down to his pants, leaving his shoes and shirt in the boat. He had his sailor's work knife in a belt sheath, but was otherwise unarmed, although his spear was in the boat.

He made a sort of "raft" by tying together all of the floating salvage in a clump to be towed back to the beach, thereby leaving more room in the boat for the heavier (especially metal) items.

Further, he used one of the pieces of rope to rig a safety line for the divers. Roostin tied one end off at the surface (either at the boat itself or from a spar if one breached the surface). He dove down through the hatchways to run the line down to the decks as each one was searched. This way there would be a rope available to help guide anyone out quickly.

When the others mentioned they planned on entering the cargo hold next, Roostin spoke up, "Ah he'ped stow the dang cargo; maybe Ah can recover it faster; it's dang deep there." Taking another piece of rope to add to his safety line, he followed the others down.

OOC: I know I have missed a bit of this, but he would go into the hold with the others; he's spent a lot of time in there moving cargo in the dark.


If he's there:
Initiative [roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-24, 04:08 AM
Initiative [roll0]

i draw my Morningstar

storyteller
2008-02-24, 05:25 AM
It takes 3 full-round actions to get down to the cargo hold (4 for Ovias). Since each full-round action (or standard action) takes 2 rounds of air, you'll have 16 rounds left. Remember that in combat you cannot take 10 on swim checks. Everyone else who wants to stay and fight, roll Init.

sickler
2008-02-24, 05:45 AM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Initaitive: [roll0]

Shademan
2008-02-24, 05:59 AM
1d20-1 = [19]-1 = 18
zavulon draws his dagger.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 06:53 AM
[roll0]

OOC: I'm not sure that the two/three humans *can* roll initiative - they don't see the danger. In fact, Ovias reaction, had he not seen Zavulon get ready for battle, would've been to get everyone up a deck where they can see. Once Zavulon is commited, though, Ovias stays to help.

Also, to go down to the lowest deck, Ovias would've used one of the stones he brought with him, cutting down the time needed to get there, at least by a turn.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 07:03 AM
OOC: (Sorry for the double post - not sure I should edit a post with such a good throw) Going back to what I said about initiative, it is funny that the two dark-viewing people have rolled high, and the humans have rolled low. Regardless of the ruling, it seems that they *are* going to be surprised, even after they notice Zavulon drawing a dagger and Ovias assuming battle stance.

Ovias will, as soon as it is his turn, gaining strong foothold on the ground, walking forward slightly so as to draw attention to himself and taking total defence for his first turn, for a total of AC 15. Within the limits of the total defence, Ovias does all he can to attract the attention of the attack to himself. If he's bull rushed, he will have +4 to the check since he is carrying enough weight to stand firm, even underwater. And no, he does not draw any weapon, since he is carrying none.

OOC: I will wait to know what we're fighting before planning out more turns. I've no idea how PbP battles happen, but may I suggest we just all say what our actions will be (with plenty of "ifs") and then storyteller can do all the rolling in one go for several turn?.

OOC: Also, we never explored the kitchen. We've better not forget before leaving. The Lower Deck, too. Assuming we live to surface.

Shademan
2008-02-24, 07:42 AM
if i can: Zavulon quickly gives Grey the rapier.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 08:10 AM
if i can: Zavulon quickly gives Grey the rapier.

Even if he can, Ovias waves it away. He'd rather have his hands free, and he wouldn't know how to use a rapier anyway.

OOC: Trust me here, I have planned ahead, somewhat. Weapons would be of little use for my strategy in this fight. Assuming I'm not dead at the end of round 1, of course.

OOC: Oh, also, remember everyone that you must *thrust* or else you have -2 to hit and damage gets halved while underwater (link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#underwaterCombat)). Not sure how that applies to the morningstar, but spears and daggers* are fine (so long as you don't try to throw them)

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

* Daggers you choose thrusting or slashing. Morningstars are both piercing and bludgeoning at the same time - you cannot choose.

storyteller
2008-02-24, 08:25 AM
The creature: Init 6.

The creature is of medium size and it seems to be a swift swimmer. You think you can see... tentacles... If you decide to attack on your turn, also remember to roll d% for concealment (20%) and check out the underwater combat rules to see how ranged weapons and melee weapons work underwater. The creature has total concealment (50%) against the humans unless they're adjacent to the creature.

Shademan
2008-02-24, 09:11 AM
Zavulon swims 5feet to the side, so that the entrance is open. hopefully the creature is more scared than they and will try to escape. nevertheless, he steadies in case of a assault.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 09:44 AM
Taking Zavulon's cue, Ovias also moves away slightly from the entrance, making sure to push the humans back too, but staying close enough to Zavulon in case he is the one attacked. He tries to place himself as a more attractive target than the unarmoured Zavulon, and takes the defensive battle stance all dwarves know almost by instinct.

Actions: full round total defence, going up to AC 15

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 10:25 AM
Roostin

Roostin noticed* Ovias and Zavulon backing out of the hold. He quickly* finished lashing the safety line to a handy lantern hook by the door of the hold, and looked around the murk for a weapon more useful than his belt knife, but failed* to see anything. The sailor wasted a split second wishing he had brought his spear down from the boat, or at least found a useful substitute, but decided to just back out of the way and see what happened in the next few moments. Roostin knew he wasn't going to abandon his mates, but perhaps racing to the surface for a useful weapon would be the right choice.

*From a dice rolling thread:
Edit: Apparently, if you quote the die rolls, you can't get the actual rolls. Well, the links are good, and I've manually input the numbers.

Spot the monster:
[roll0] 18

Hear the commotion:
[roll1] 19


Tie the rope:
[roll0] 15

Find a spear:
[roll1] 7

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 12:46 PM
Assuming that Maria finds nothing of value lashed to the main deck, as I assume the lack of any lists implies, she returns to the boat but dives again if the others don't surface in 30-45 seconds to see if they're trapped under a piece of rubble or detritus.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-24, 01:58 PM
((the moringstar is the perfect simple weapon :smallbiggrin: ))

i make the same move, but opposite side to Ovias and Zavulon.

Ready action: Thrust moringstar if charged

sickler
2008-02-24, 04:42 PM
Ben wonders to himself why everyone is swimming around strangely.

OOC:
Init order
Zavulon, Ovias, Eric, Ben, Roostin, Squid

storyteller
2008-02-24, 04:52 PM
The creature attacks Zavulon! It's a squid and it's flailing its arms at Zavulon, trying to grab him. It looks very aggressive. Attack roll vs. touch AC - Hit! Concealment 20% - hit! Opposed grapple check - Success! The squid is now grappling Zavulon. It bites and deals 4 points of damage.

Act in init order.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 05:50 PM
The creature attacks Zavulon! It's a squid and it's flailing its arms at Zavulon, trying to grab him. It looks very aggressive. Attack roll vs. touch AC - Hit! Concealment 20% - hit! Opposed grapple check - Success! The squid is now grappling Zavulon. It bites and deals 4 points of damage.

Act in init order.

If Zavulon breaks the grapple, Ovias flanks and does an "Aid another (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother)" movement where he attempts to distract the squid so Eric gets +4 (flank & distraction) [roll0] against DC 10.

If Zavulon is still grappled when it is my turn, I join the grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#joiningaGrapple) (move equivalent action)
1 - No attack of opportunity
2 - Grab automatic success
3 - oposed graple check. Mine: [roll1] (he gets -4 for size, btw)
4 - (assuming I succeed in joining the graple) I hit him for [roll2]), (free action consequence of graple)
5 - Attempt to pin the squid: oposed graple check. Mine: [roll3] (standard action) (again, squid has -4)
If I fail at 3, I am not part of the graple.

Shademan
2008-02-25, 01:53 AM
Thats one nasty bite! i know when i have to give up a fight, so im gonna try bailing out.

Escape from grapple: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14

i certainly hope thats enough to shake off the squid.

Zavulon will now try to reach the boat, his bleeding wound will certainly attract predators. He only hopes that the other escape alive.

storyteller
2008-02-25, 04:44 AM
Zavulon manages to escape the grapple! The squid lets Zavulon flee (doesn't make an AoO) but it looks angrily at the dwarf and the humans, ready to attack on its turn.

Remember to make Swim checks if you move in the water. You cannot take 10 in combat. The DC is 10.


Thats one nasty bite! i know when i have to give up a fight, so im gonna try bailing out.

Escape from grapple: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14

i certainly hope thats enough to shake off the squid.

Zavulon will now try to reach the boat, his bleeding wound will certainly attract predators. He only hopes that the other escape alive.

Shademan
2008-02-25, 05:02 AM
Zavulon stubbornly shakes of the pain and attempt to swim up to the boat, away from the squid and its sharp beak.
swim: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
linked version: _: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=4325)
IF he reaches the boat, he hurls himself into it and say in a suggesting manner "some help please?"

TwoCents
2008-02-25, 10:28 AM
Roostin

Treading water, Roostin watches to see what the others do and readies himself to help. "Good, he got out. Come on, y'all, get up to the surface so's we can figure out whut we gotta do heah," he thought with relief as the big guy swam past him.

OOC: Since he's not yet in combat, he doesn't need a swim check, right?
Also, does rigging a safety line help the others get to the surface?

Zombie pixe
2008-02-25, 12:01 PM
((i attack!))

oh, right. swim check... [roll0]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-25, 12:03 PM
((right, now thats done, i attack :smallsmile: ))

Thrusting his mornigstar eric attempts to stab the squid

To hit?:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 01:36 PM
((right, now thats done, i attack :smallsmile: ))

Thrusting his mornigstar eric attempts to stab the squid

To hit?:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

OOC: Not that it matters, but you forgot you have +4 to hit. And I hate having to say this, but you need to roll d100 against concealment (20%)

jagadaishio
2008-02-25, 03:09 PM
When Maria sees Zavulon start to rise out of the ship, bleeding, she assists him in rising to the surface and uses a strip of cloth torn from the leg of her pants to bind his wound. "Apply pressure," she says before taking her knife in her teeth and diving back under. She would be of little help in an underwater fight, and probably couldn't make it far enough to even engage in the fight without drowning on the way back up. Rather, she waits to see anyone else escaping that might need her help.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-25, 04:07 PM
OOC: Not that it matters, but you forgot you have +4 to hit. And I hate having to say this, but you need to roll d100 against concealment (20%)

((Thank you. Knew i had forgotten something :smalltongue: ))

[roll0] Phew, concelment roll, but i still hit it :smallsmile:

storyteller
2008-02-25, 04:43 PM
True. It'll be a solid hit if it hits, one that may save your life :smallwink: But yeah, make that d100 roll first...


OOC: Not that it matters, but you forgot you have +4 to hit. And I hate having to say this, but you need to roll d100 against concealment (20%)

sickler
2008-02-25, 04:54 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Ben struggles to swim around some obstacles but makes no progress.

Swim: [roll0]
To Hit: [roll1]
Concealment: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

OOC:
Bleh, abysmal swim check put a wrench in that.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 04:59 PM
True. It'll be a solid hit if it hits, one that may save your life :smallwink: But yeah, make that d100 roll first...

Err... he already rolled...


To Hit: [roll1] (including +4 size)

Ummm... not sure where that +4 comes from. Ben got a +4 from flanking (+2) (me on the other side) and my distraction of the squid (+2). If nothing else, the squid, being smaller, gets a +1 to AC due to size. Just letting you know, in case the squid survives getting stuck in the eye with a morningstar

sickler
2008-02-25, 05:05 PM
OOC:
My bad, was trying to do three things at once and got myself confused. Luckily my miserable swimming invalidated it anyways.

storyteller
2008-02-25, 05:47 PM
The morningstar hit the squid squarely in the head.. scared, it emits a cloud of ink and goes into hiding somewhere behind some half-burnt crates near number 13 on the map.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 06:04 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias gives up on trying to follow the fast moving squid, particularly given that the exertion just used a fair amount of air. Ovias takes a look around (search takes 10 + 2), grabs everything he can grab without spending air and then swims to the surface.

Once in the surface, he checks on Zavulon, and says "Ok, that was a little too close, but we hurrt that thing badly and scarred it away forr the time being. Therre arre still a couple of well-lighted rrooms to check, but I think we should press ourr advantage while we have it. Any of you humans darre follow me into the darrkness forr a second rround? I cannot face it alone, but I am easy enough to follow, and I can see well enough. We won't be surrprrised. In the mean time, I don't want you to rrisk yourrself, Zavulon - you could take Marria and check the kitchen?"

If two other agree to go back to the hold, Ovias uses another rock to drop all the way down, and recommends the humans use one too, as well as ask Zavulon to bring out some of the rocks next to the catapult, in case they need more later. If not, Ovias explores the kitchen and then the lower deck

jagadaishio
2008-02-25, 08:03 PM
"It may be a bad idea for Zavulon to go back in the water with a fresh wound. He could attract predators. I'll check the kitchen," Maria says before taking her dagger back into her teeth and diving. When she reaches the kitchen, she does a twice over looking for useable materials.

Taking 10 on the first seach, for a result of 11. The second search check had the following result:

[roll0]

TwoCents
2008-02-25, 08:23 PM
Roostin Truckleman, Carpenter's Mate

Once the others start to head up, Roostin follows, after making a quick search of the area.

[roll0]

"Ah'll go down with you, now that Ah've got mah spear," Roostin said cheerfully. "Ah always liked seafood." Roostin grabbed a large rock in his off hand, took a firm grasp on his spear, and waited to see who else was going back.

sickler
2008-02-25, 08:48 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Ben spits out some of the sea taste from his mouth and sputters, "I'll go down to the hold with you." Grabbing a rock from the boat, Ben breathes deeply to prepare for the next dive.

Shademan
2008-02-26, 02:03 AM
"yeah, grey. im like a sign to all the sharks, squids and meat eating whatnots in the ocean. il just attract trouble... " Zavulon shrugs and grins to himself "hey, if you bring back that squid i want the first bite... if you get me meaning!"
he chuckles to himself and throw his dagger to Grey.

storyteller
2008-02-26, 04:49 AM
"It may be a bad idea for Zavulon to go back in the water with a fresh wound. He could attract predators. I'll check the kitchen," Maria says before taking her dagger back into her teeth and diving. When she reaches the kitchen, she does a twice over looking for useable materials.

Taking 10 on the first seach, for a result of 11. The second search check had the following result:

[roll0]

Most of the foodstuffs in the kitchen are ruined, but you find the following items that may be useful:

Set of kitchen knives
Wooden crate with 6 bottles of red wine
Iron pot
12 clay jugs
Scale, merchant's


Zavulon stays in the boat.

Ovias, Ben and Roostin are going back to the hold. What about Eric?

Zombie pixe
2008-02-26, 12:10 PM
((sorry, im in england, so i will stop posting earlier than you lot! :smallannoyed: :smalltongue: ))

i retrun to the surface with the rest of them to catch my breath. Then go back down for a second time...

((waht time of day is it?))

TwoCents
2008-02-26, 12:55 PM
OOC:

for future reference, since Roostin is using a spear, could he "set it for charge" (brace it against part of the ship) against the squid?

jagadaishio
2008-02-26, 01:58 PM
Maria takes multiple trips back and forth from the kitchen in order to keep her from becoming too encumbered. Her priority of items to take up are as follows:
1. Iron Pot
2. Knives
3. Scale
4. Wine
5. Clay Jugs

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 02:31 PM
((sorry, im in england, so i will stop posting earlier than you lot! :smallannoyed: :smalltongue: ))

i retrun to the surface with the rest of them to catch my breath. Then go back down for a second time...

((waht time of day is it?))

OOC:

for future reference, since Roostin is using a spear, could he "set it for charge" (brace it against part of the ship) against the squid?

Ovias accepts the knife from Zavulon, and guides the three humans back to the hold. Once at the bottom, he once again braces against the ground and checks the door to the front of the ship. If it is open, he goes to it, takes a look inside and closes it. If not, he doesn't loose air doing so.

Checking that the humans are keeping him in view (shouldn't be hard, given how much faster they are), he half-swims/half-walks towards the back section of the ship were the squid ran off to. If there is still a trail of ink, he follows it. He keeps checking for the squid, and is tense in case he sees further movement.

[roll0]. Not sure if Ovias gets any bonuses for knowing what he's looking for

If Ovias doesn't see the squid, he searches the hold for as long as it is safe to do so with his air reserves, in an effort to a) find the squid and b) find useful things and c) find any evidence of the reason for the fire.
General search: 10+2
Lucky search: [roll1]

if he does see the squid (or anything else that attacks him, of course), he engages it.

Air reserves:
3 turns to go down (6), 2 turns if I have to close the door (4), 1 turn to walk towards the other door (2) - at worst, Ovias still has another 12 rounds of air

OOC:

Zombie Pixie: I'm based in continental Europe, so I should be in bed even earlier...

TwoCents: you can set it to a charge if you have firm footing, which requires you to carry more than 18(16?) pounds of equipment, more or less. I do that by wearing my armour and clothes, you may want to bring down assorted knick-knacks to achieve the same effect (rope is very heavy, and so are weapons, to a point). Your problem here is lack of sight, rather than anything else, though.

storyteller
2008-02-26, 05:29 PM
OOC: Everyone who's going back to the hold, roll Init and make Spot checks. Also tell me what's your "marching order" or swimming order in this case. Who goes first, what sort of formation, etc.

sickler
2008-02-26, 05:50 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Spot: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

and Ben is as close to the front of the group as possible (behind Ovias most likely)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 05:51 PM
OOC: Everyone who's going back to the hold, roll Init and make Spot checks. Also tell me what's your "marching order" or swimming order in this case. Who goes first, what sort of formation, etc.

I already did his spot check above (14, + any bonuses for knowing what he's looking for, if any). I assume Ovias is between two of the humans, or maybe in the tip of a triangle, since he is guiding them, but on the other hand they do move faster than him... so it's up to them.

Initiative: [roll0]

Shademan
2008-02-27, 01:54 AM
and suddenly, for the comical effect of it: Zavulon starts singing!
"always look on the briiight siiide of life..."

storyteller
2008-02-27, 04:20 AM
As you approach it, the squid tries to flee, swimming past you and out of the cargo hold.

OOC:

Those who beat both its Init check (13) and Hide check (13) may make an AoO against it.

Ovias searches the hold quickly.


You find 2 fresh water barrels that seem to be intact.
3 small barrels of beer! Huzzah!
A crate full of rations (50).
You also notice that barrels of lamp oil that can still be recognized as such are open, their lids missing or discarded on the floor...


Other items in the hold are destroyed, beyond repair.

QUEST COMPLETED!

100 xp to everyone involved!
60 xp to those who went down to the hold (everyone except Maria).

You do not have to rp how you're going to lift the barrels etc. Just make a list of everything you've found and go to the IC thread to discuss what to do with the loot and so on...

TwoCents
2008-02-27, 03:33 PM
OOC: If the squid is leaving, Roostin will let it go. No need to look for trouble under the water.

In the event that combat does occur:

Initiative: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Swim: [roll2]

Edit: wow, talk about lousy rolls. Good thing he's not looking for trouble...

Zombie pixe
2008-02-27, 04:39 PM
well, since i went down there again, i think its time to try and kill it (more xp :smallbiggrin: )

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack : [roll1]
Damgae: [roll2]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-27, 04:52 PM
oh crap, still forgot my swim check, and my concelment :smallredface:

concelment [roll0]
Swim [roll1]

Zombie pixe
2008-02-27, 04:55 PM
gah! so many things forgotten :smalleek: :smallredface: :smalleek:

crit re roll: [roll0]

i take it thats a hit then?

that makes total damage of 13 8 :smallsmile:

storyteller
2008-02-28, 05:07 AM
If you also succeeded on the Spot check, then congrats, you've killed the squid :smallsmile:

However, you get no extra xp for that. I already awarded xp for defeating the squid.

jagadaishio
2008-02-28, 07:19 PM
If you also succeeded on the Spot check, then congrats, you've killed the squid :smallsmile:

However, you get no extra xp for that. I already awarded xp for defeating the squid.

We'll still get some food, at least.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-29, 01:37 PM
spot: [roll0]

storyteller
2008-02-29, 03:18 PM
Nope, sorry (spot 11 vs hide 13). The squid swam away before you could see it or react.

Anyways, consider this thread closed.