PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Fisher
2008-03-01, 12:28 AM
Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)
Returning to camp, Elias unloads a recent haul of foraged goods from his backpack. Lately he had taken to the task of gathering additional food to bulk the group's long term supply. One could never tell when disaster might strike and supplies would be needed. After checking in the recently gathered supplies with the clerk, he slings the now empty pack over his shoulder and returns to the forest to gather another haul.

Sorry for the lack of posting everyone. If anyone needs help in a specific task let me know, and Elias will lend a hand. Otherwise, he'll continue gathering food.

Survival: 14 (Taking 10)

Lonna
2008-03-01, 01:54 AM
Imbrallius

Imbrallius looks at Mara for a scant second. "Miss Herbswife, good to see you. Is that an official endorsement of his trade offer?"

Mara Herbswife

Mara sighed, biting back a sarcastic remark. Ever since the disastrous meeting, such comments had been coming to mind more and more often. "Yes, Imbrallius," she answered, keeping the annoyance from her tone. "Master Shortoe is being more than fair in his offer, and as I said, I will take full responsibility if someone later objects."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 04:04 AM
Turning back to Ovias he said, "And how long will it take? Unless we know it truly is faster than building a ship, it's not the best option."

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"If you can serriously think that a boat would take the same time as a palisade, therre is nothing morre forr me to say, elf. Enjoy yourr happy worrld, and may yourr death be swift when Balzabal's followrrs come looking forr the grroup," Turning away from the elf, Ovias notices a gathering of people around the common goods, including the small figure of Ipswitch which could only mean trouble

<I will do my best to build you a forge, Zav. My patience with this group is wearing out, though.>

He then walks down to the common goods and asks Imbrallius for an update on the situation. Being briefed on the request for potatoes, and the price offer, and Mara's position, he answers,
"I disagrree, Mara. The potatoes have alrready been claimed by Farrmerr Erric, and since he was parrt of the grroup that found them, and risked his life and saved otherrs in doing so, he should be the one that decides what to do with them. This halfling knows not a thing about farrming, and neitherr do you orr me, but Erric can turrn a few potatoes to many. Also, we alrready have chickens of ourr own, and they arre also being brred by Harry, so we alrready have enough eggs, ferrtilised and not. I am with Maester Imbrrallius - this trrade is not fairr, and we should wait forr Erric to decide"

Lonna
2008-03-01, 04:24 AM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

He then walks down to the common goods and asks Imbrallius for an update on the situation. Being briefed on the request for potatoes, and the price offer, and Mara's position, he answers,
"I disagrree, Mara. The potatoes have alrready been claimed by Farrmerr Erric, and since he was parrt of the grroup that found them, and risked his life and saved otherrs in doing so, he should be the one that decides what to do with them. This halfling knows not a thing about farrming, and neitherr do you orr me, but Erric can turrn a few potatoes to many. Also, we alrready have chickens of ourr own, and they arre also being brred by Harry, so we alrready have enough eggs, ferrtilised and not. I am with Maester Imbrrallius - this trrade is not fairr, and we should wait forr Erric to decide"

Mara Herbswife

"A reasonable argument, Master Greybeard," answered Mara, a bit stiffly. "Very well, I will defer to the good farmer's judgement." Turning to go she added, "Master Shortoe, my offer still stands. Let me know if you have need of fresh food besides eggs and meat."

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 08:50 AM
Epswitch

The halfling nods at the fat dwarf, Epswitch says to Mara, "Thank you for your support. If this Erric fellow has a legal claim to the potatoes I will deal with him instead." Perhaps he will be reasonable.

Turning completely away from the dwarf to Mara he says, "Thank you for the offer. I do not wish to deprive your community. I may be willing to trade for some or better yet for a little information. The undergrowth around the pond is quite thick and some of the bushes bear fruit, but I know not if any of them might be poisonous, so I have dared not try them."

Seeing nothing else of interest in the pile of community goods, Epswitch wanders off to find the Farrmerr Erric.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 09:18 AM

Ovias heard Mara's tone and watched her go impasively, no longer surprised as he used to be by human acts. He was getting much better at prediction, and for the second time in the morning, he hated being right. Once he saw Ipswitch and mara leave, he turned to Imbrallius, making sure he could not be overheard by any others.
For Imbrallius alone:"Masterr Imbrrallius, I have been figurring out how to build a measurre of prrotection frrom the stone cirrcle people. I will need two weeks, and thrree helperrs (anyone that knows carpentrry or masonerry preferred), plus 15 units of wood and same amount of stone. I can starrt rright away with what rresources we have, but they will not last the prroject unless a few others gatherr morre. I may also need help forr clearring the underrbrush - maybe one or two, worrking just ahead of the builderrs"

"I have yet to decide on a place, but since the explorrerrs have not found anything, I think I'll see if Erric would come with me and explore a good farrm land, clearr out the underrbrrush and build therre. I am telling you this because it is clearr at this point that no-one will listen to what I say, and what few listen misconstrruct my worrds - hopefully they will listen to you. This is the last attempt I will do to helping the grroup, forr my patience wearrs thin - if not enough people carre enough forr the idea, I will leave the grroup, since it is clearr now that my prresence is unwanted."

"I'll be looking forr Erric. Do let me know what the grroup thinks of my idea, and if they arre willing to help build. Soon, if possible - I grrow wearry of the frruitless talk."

With that, Ovias leaves to start looking for Eric.

Shademan
2008-03-01, 09:36 AM
\ oh you want a non-understandable word-fight? / Zavulon chuckled at the elf in orcish. He smiled and displayed his noce set of fangs

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 10:28 AM
I call the potatoes. I can do so much with them...:smallamused:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 10:38 AM
I call the potatoes. I can do so much with them...:smallamused:

"Ah, therre you arre, Erric!. Good to see you" says Ovias, "And verry glad you want those potatoes. Chips are nice, but most imporrtant I haven't had a decent drrink since my mead got salt-waterred in the shipwrreck. I seem to rrecall you had nice plans forr them. How about we take the afterrnoon to find somewherre you can plant them?"

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 10:42 AM
good plan there

i should be able to fix you up something soon, i still have all my equipment for this wonderful art.:smallsmile:

((its for farming so it will be profesion right?

meh, i will take 20 anyway :smallamused: ))

total = 27

((that should find a nice place for me to plant crops))

Yeril
2008-03-01, 10:44 AM
OOC: is it the next day yet, or still the same day?

journeyman
2008-03-01, 10:45 AM
Feln Zekor

Feln watches the chickens day-in and day-out. They squable over the feed, they gather and split in groups again and again, they occasionally take a dislike to one another, but it never lasts; birds have short memories after all. It reminds him a bit of the way the people around are acting, except that the people aren't always so quick to forgive. The halfling is like most runts, half the size but fighting four times harder for his share because of it. The healer acts like a mother to everyone, gently herding them to productive efforts. The dwarf has oddly grown even more gruff as his supply of stone grows, perhaps he is homesick? Idle musings such as these occupy his time throughout the week. Not given to make quick decisions, Feln still keeps an eye out for a chance to really help bring everyone together as a group. The main thing needed seems to be a central location for a more permanent camp. Some more useful animals to work with would be nice too.

At whatever point a group goes to check the cliffs Feln volunteers. He'll grab rope from the common store (to be returned on completion of exploration) and take 20 to secure the rope every 5ft if possible. He's hoping to use his good spot mod (+4) and general knowledge of guard operations to see a suitable site from the high ground. As a side objective, he's really hoping to find a nesting site for a predatory bird (falconry could be quite an asset to the group if he can be spared the time to properly raise/domesticate a bird). If eggs are there, he only takes one.

(I can't get on much this week, so he'll only tag along if someone else leads, Please make any necessary checks for me.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 11:04 AM
good plan there

i should be able to fix you up something soon, i still have all my equipment for this wonderful art.:smallsmile:

total = 27

Once Eric finds the place, Ovias examines the site for building potential. Takes his time too: architecture knowledge 20 + 4 = 24. He needs to know access routes, how difficult it would be to clear out the underbrush for farming and how far we are from both the treeline, the sea, the pond and the stone circle. He also examines the ground looking for underground water (i.e. building a well). Not sure the check involved there, but he's a dwarf examining his element, and taking 20. I assume he has some bonuses.

OOC: is it the next day yet, or still the same day?
OOC: I'm assuming it is the afternoon of the day after the meeting. Your mileage may vary

Yeril
2008-03-01, 11:18 AM
We need to find a place fairly away from the lake, mainly because other animals and natives may use it and we don't want to interfere too much.

Once we find a place, we should also try and push epswitch and co to move away from it, Im sure even if he is difficult he will bend to reason, aslong as you know, we don't have Mara, Ovias, or the clerk with the long name ask him.

Edit: Oops this was meant to be in the OOC thread..

Daryk
2008-03-01, 11:28 AM

"If you can serriously think that a boat would take the same time as a palisade, therre is nothing morre forr me to say, elf. Enjoy yourr happy worrld, and may yourr death be swift when Balzabal's followrrs come looking forr the grroup," Turning away from the elf...

"There is plenty for you to say, dwarf. Starting with how long it will take to build a palisade. Answer that question, then we can proceed with making an actual decision. I am neither a carpenter, a boat builder, nor willing to make a decision without information. Relinquishing the authority to make that decision is all that has been proposed in all the talk of 'leadership'," Tano replied.

Again, the only information we have in hand are the costs of a small house (2,000 gp) and a keelboat (3,000 gp), which are comparable. When we have the actual data on palisades and catamarans, we can make a real decision beyond deciding to leave it up to someone else to decide.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 11:42 AM
"There is plenty for you to say, dwarf. Starting with how long it will take to build a palisade. Answer that question, then we can proceed with making an actual decision. I am neither a carpenter, a boat builder, nor willing to make a decision without information. Relinquishing the authority to make that decision is all that has been proposed in all the talk of 'leadership'," Tano replied.

Again, the only information we have in hand are the costs of a small house (2,000 gp) and a keelboat (3,000 gp), which are comparable. When we have the actual data on palisades and catamarans, we can make a real decision beyond deciding to leave it up to someone else to decide.

Ovias turns just before leaving upon hearing those words and says "I, on the otherr hand, do have that inforrmation, but I am not going to sharre it anymorre. I am clearrly not apprreciated, norr arre my efforrts to help the grroup. If you need someone to spell the bleeding obvious forr you, yes, it will take less time to build basic forrtifications than any boat. Maybe the next time we talk you will show some rrespect forr those who have knowledge of what we speak. I have neverr darred give you lessons in how to build yourr bows, but you seems rready to counterrsay what I think about building."

OOC: This happens before I talk to Imbrallius. Next time, I won't bother jumping back in time, though - so please RP meeting Ovias wherever he has wandered in the mean time. This game is already confused enough without adding in more time travel.

Daryk
2008-03-01, 11:53 AM
If you don't want time travel, then don't wander away without giving the other person a chance to respond.

Tano

"And now you admit you've been withholding information and won't share it unless we do what you say. That sounds like the human definition of leadership to a 'T' as they say," Tano shot back.

storyteller
2008-03-01, 12:00 PM
OOC:

I've noticed that many of you want to boldly go where no commoner has gone before and explore the island... well, I've got good news for you! On week 3 that'll be your weekly challenge! You'll form small groups (preferably 3-4 groups of 3-6 characters) and choose a destination. That way you can try to find iron ore, falcon eggs, hostile cannibals or even Bal-ze-bal the blackspear! You may start planning already but I'll give you more instructions on Sunday.

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:05 PM
OOC: most excellent! ... was that a star trek quote? sort of? not that i watch star trek i just happen to know that one..

IC: Zavulon proclaims that he will will set out on a serious expedition to find ore. No big speeches given or anything, bluntly and straight. he will allow the anyone who think they can help to come with him. Specially Ovias.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:10 PM
If you don't want time travel, then don't wander away without giving the other person a chance to respond.

Tano

"And now you admit you've been withholding information and won't share it unless we do what you say. That sounds like the human definition of leadership to a 'T' as they say," Tano shot back.

"I admit to no such thing, elf," Ovias answers, "I am only witholding it frrom small brrained humanoids that will not listen even if I do tell them - which I did already, many times, in the beach, in the meeting and now herre morre than once. Nothing has got built, rregarrdless of whetherr I explain orr not, but at least by not explaining I get to save my brreath. I said I would not tell anyone what to do, and I have not, unlike you that keep demanding inforrmation so *you* - the one so oposed to being lorrded - can decide forr me what *I* should do. Who is being the clueless leaderr rrequirring the help of the actual worrkerrs? Who is giving out orrderrs, in fact?"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:12 PM
OOC: most excellent! ... was that a star trek quote? sort of? not that i watch star trek i just happen to know that one..

IC: Zavulon proclaims that he will will set out on a serious expedition to find ore. No big speeches given or anything, bluntly and straight. he will allow the anyone who think they can help to come with him. Specially Ovias.

Definetely count Ovias in your group. I just wish we still had the miner, too. Oh well.

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:16 PM
Zavulon steps in between the elf and the dwarf "GENTLEMEN!" He shouts "Let us not bicker among ourselves like some ragtag band of orcs! If we start with minor fights it will develop into full scale battle and doom!!" Zavulon looks at them both in turn "we must work together..."

ooc: talk about cliche :smallamused:

Definetely count Ovias in your group. I just wish we still had the miner, too. Oh well.
good good. i think that Grey will do well in place of a miner. like Zavulon's mother used to say: you cant go wrong with them dwarfs! she was talking about cooking tho' ...

Daryk
2008-03-01, 12:18 PM
Tano

"Then who have you told? Was it among all that gibberish you and your friends have been speaking to one another since we landed? There can be no consensus without information. You have given only vague reassurances that your plan, what ever it is, is the best one. If you want my support, you have to tell me what it is, and debate it openly. As you will recall, I cheerfully helped when the suggestions were made specifically and openly. I will do what must be done, not blindly follow," the elf said in a rising tone of voice.

Edit: Sorry Shademan... you ninja'd me, but I think Tano would have said that anyway.

storyteller
2008-03-01, 12:18 PM
Eric finds a nice place for growing potatoes not far from the pond. You'll have to clear the trees first (once you've harvested 10 gp worth of trees in the area, it's considered cleared).

Ovias finds a suitable place. The soil is not too hard or too soft, and better yet, it's within 50 yards of the place Eric found.

Daryk
2008-03-01, 12:21 PM
Tano

Looking at that half-orc, struggling to get his voice back under control, Tano said, "Working together is exactly what I'm talking about. Deciding TOGETHER requires we ALL have the necessary information."

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:24 PM
"yeees, but let us not shout with anger. let us sit down and calmly chat about it over some fried fish or rodent" Zavulon tries to smile friendly.
"and when the Orc wants some peace you know things are bad..." he adds quietly

OOC: should i have rolled a diplomacy check?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:29 PM
Tano

"Then who have you told? Was it among all that gibberish you and your friends have been speaking to one another since we landed? There can be no consensus without information. You have given only vague reassurances that your plan, what ever it is, is the best one. If you want my support, you have to tell me what it is, and debate it openly. As you will recall, I cheerfully helped when the suggestions were made specifically and openly. I will do what must be done, not blindly follow," the elf said in a rising tone of voice.

Edit: Sorry Shademan... you ninja'd me, but I think Tano would have said that anyway.

"Ah, but what can you expect of an elf that will accept no orrders but morre orrders?" says Ovias, calm "I see no morre rreason to give you that inforrmation than I found to tell you my plans in the firrst place. And I have given you the only assurrance I can: I am a builderr, I know - much betterr than you - what I am doing. I neither rrequest norr need yourr help, since it is clearr you can only prroduce endless questions, bickerring and discussions. Frrom what I rrecall, the only time you "helped" was when I took overr the job you werre ill-prreparred to accomplish. I trried to discuss wherre we should build and how, and all you did was rrefuse to cooperrate and ignorre the discussion. I see no assurrance you arre going to be any differrent this time arround."

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 12:30 PM
Imbrallius

"Master Zavulon, if I might offer a bit of counsel. Should we not first worry about a place to make our encampment, then worry about ore. We have no way of forging yet, so basing ourselves around ore might be jumping ahead."

EDIT: Storyteller, could you please show on a map of sorts where this area is?

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:31 PM
"please, grey. let us try to be polite..." Zavulon says with a hint of worry in his voice.

@: ninjad by clerky.
this convesation is in another timeline
"there is no need for a forge if there is no ore, smart one." zavulon says with a smile "and the sooner we get a forge the better. we can make proper tools and weapons. even armour! ... in time."

Daryk
2008-03-01, 12:31 PM
Tano

Still shaking with agitation, Tano took a deep breath and said, "Yes, Zavulon, it is bad. And will be until someone puts forth a plan beyond "we should do x" without details. That's how it's supposed to work! Those who know things put forth plans for all to discuss and agree upon. All we've done so far is bicker in human fashion about who should make the decisions."

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:35 PM
"now thats a tad bit offensive towards half of me but im not the arguing sort of meat." zavulon say with a smile, hoping to ease the tension.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:36 PM
Eric finds a nice place for growing potatoes not far from the pond. You'll have to clear the trees first (once you've harvested 10 gp worth of trees in the area, it's considered cleared).

Ovias finds a suitable place. The soil is not too hard or too soft, and better yet, it's within 50 yards of the place Eric found.

Ovias starts marking the terrain, inscribing runes in different places and marking trees with small crosses. He carefully delimits the site, and makes sure that he can later find it, and that the work will proceed smoothly. He then checks on Eric, in case he wants or needs help in setting up the clearing.

OOC: Storyteller, is it 10 gp each, or 10 gp total?

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much Ovias, I could not have done this with out you.

I head back to the main encampment, once there i ask...

Who is in charge of the pile of stuff I recovered from the ship?

((I’m putting emphasis on the I because I need that axe, although I must admit, on my own I don’t think I could have found my own foot! thanks again guys :smallwink: ))

Is there a lumberjack anywhere here?

I need his services for a short time...

I head off in search of a Woodcutter among our ranks.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:43 PM
Tano

Still shaking with agitation, Tano took a deep breath and said, "Yes, Zavulon, it is bad. And will be until someone puts forth a plan beyond "we should do x" without details. That's how it's supposed to work! Those who know things put forth plans for all to discuss and agree upon. All we've done so far is bicker in human fashion about who should make the decisions."

"Once again, elf, you show no sign of listening, which is a rreason why I should not tell you my thoughts. All you have learrnt of this converrsation is that somehow I am saying that we should do x, haven't you? Such worrds I have not said - instead, you keep saying it overr and overr: that I should give you my thoughts and my plans. Days ago, I was rready to rrequest help frrom you, but I know you now. Do whateverr you will, take whateverr decisions you want and tell otherrs what they should do, what they should tell you and live in yourr own little seam of gold. But know that I will not obey you"

Shademan
2008-03-01, 12:47 PM
"CUT IT OUT!" Zavulon roars. " I will not let you two break what modest peace we allready have here! if you dont respect each other you will end up fighting and some might very well DIE!" Zavulon turns and march away...

Daryk
2008-03-01, 12:52 PM
Tano

Now we're definitely cross-threaded.

To Ovias, Tano said, "You can expect an elf to stand against tyranny of all kinds, dwarf. You're right, I don't know what you think. From your actions and what you have said, it SEEMS you favor staying here for an extended period. That proposition has NOT been debated, yet you appear to be using your vaunted knowledge to persuade us it is the best choice."

To Zavulon, the elf said, "You're right Zavulon. It was offensive. I will apologize shortly, but before I do, I'd like to point out that conversing in tongues not everyone understands is also offensive. I am sorry, and hope both halves of you can forgive me."

Edit: :smallsigh: Ninja'd again...

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 12:56 PM
Thank you very much Ovias, I could not have done this with out you.

I head back to the main encampment, once there i ask...

"You are most welcome, Erric" says Ovias, "but they are uneeded. Indeed, had it not been for your help, I'd still be in the camp listening to some builderrs-wanabees lecturring me in wherre I should build. You, instead, have guided me to the most logical place. I am currious: will I be able to count with yourr help when it comes to building? I will, of course, help you clear out the farming site first, unless otherrs come to help us do both at once."

Ovias walks back to the camp with Eric, exchanging small talk, and then looks up Imbrallius, to which he says,
Only Imbrallius/Eric"Erric has found good farrming land, and I have been lucky enough to find a perrfect building spot nearrby. I rrespect yourr arrchitecturre knowledge, so I would like you to come look it overr when you have a moment. Also, have you thought about what I told you earrlierr? I can now add to my numberrs and say we will need two morre people to clearr away the underrbrush of each site - fourr in total, but that will give us the lumberr we need, so if we want the shelterr rready in two weeks, I would need 8 people in total, including me. "

storyteller
2008-03-01, 01:02 PM
10 gp each. Well in your case it depends on how big an area you need for your project, but 10 gp should be enough to get started.

Ovias starts marking the terrain, inscribing runes in different places and marking trees with small crosses. He carefully delimits the site, and makes sure that he can later find it, and that the work will proceed smoothly. He then checks on Eric, in case he wants or needs help in setting up the clearing.

OOC: Storyteller, is it 10 gp each, or 10 gp total?

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 01:08 PM
Imbrallius

Zavulon:
My bad, didn't notice the time-warp. Just ignore it.

Eric can find Imbrallius easily enough. "The handaxe, eh? Do you need it to clear lumber? I think the saw might be better suited for that than a hatchet..."

To Ovias, he adds. "I've thought about it. Haven't had the chance to discuss it with everyone. Going to find Mara to see if she can aid as well."

To wit, Imbrallius then begins looking for Mara. "Miss Herbswife? Have you a moment? I think we may have found some arable land I'd like to speak with you about."

jagadaishio
2008-03-01, 01:09 PM
Maria

Eric's quest for a lumberjack will likely lead to Maria. She will help him clear the trees, taking 10 for a result of 11.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 01:12 PM

"You are most welcome, Erric" says Ovias, "but they are uneeded. Indeed, had it not been for your help, I'd still be in the camp listening to some builderrs-wanabees lecturring me in wherre I should build. You, instead, have guided me to the most logical place. I am currious: will I be able to count with yourr help when it comes to building? I will, of course, help you clear out the farming site first, unless otherrs come to help us do both at once."

Ovias walks back to the camp with Eric... *snip*[/COLOR][/spoiler]

Your help would be much appreciated. Do you know of anyone else who could help us…?

I walk with Ovias on any other errands he has. Practicing my dwarven as I go.

((yes, eric can speek dwarven))

EDIT: ((whops, missed loads of posts there!))

@ Imbrallius: Yes that will be very usefull, would you mind if I borrowed it for a time?

@ Maria: Your assistance will be most appreiciated, meet me at the edge of the woods tomorow, and we can start then. around mid moring ish ok?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 01:14 PM
Tano
To Ovias, Tano said, "You can expect an elf to stand against tyranny of all kinds, dwarf. You're right, I don't know what you think. From your actions and what you have said, it SEEMS you favor staying here for an extended period. That proposition has NOT been debated, yet you appear to be using your vaunted knowledge to persuade us it is the best choice."

"Ok, this is now funny," says Ovias with heavy sarcasm "I can hearr worrds coming out of my mouth. Is my accent so think you cannot underrstand it? maybe the pitch is so low yourr delicate earrs do not pick it up? I said time and again I carre not what you do. I do not want yourr input, orr yourr help. I see no need to discuss what I have forr lunch, orr werre I go forr my needs. What I will do with my time is forr me to decide, so long as it does not endangerr the grroup. I am done perrsuading - people asked forr my rrecomendation and I gave it, again and again. Take it if you want, ignorre it if you will, build the ship orr stay in this beach to cook and die. Just stop yourr yamerring. I am sick of it. But above all, stop giving orrderrs afterr saying you will not take them. You want to flee - do so. Maybe then I will have peace."

sickler
2008-03-01, 01:18 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882) - Approaching the pond camp

Carrying his sack of goods, Ben exits out of the underbrush to the edge of the water. "Hallo pond folk!" Ben calls out before stooping down to have a drink of water. Brushing his lips with his hand, he smiles as he glances around, "Anyone of you here could take me to that horrid alter that has the elf's britches stained?"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 01:23 PM
Your help would be much appreciated. Do you know of anyone else who could help us…?

I walk with Ovias on any other errands he has. Practicing my dwarven as I go.

((yes, eric can speek dwarven))

<I thought I did, Eric,> answers Ovias in dwarfish, happy to find someone else he can talk to in dwarfish, saving both the pain of Ovias' heavey accent, <but most have let me down in the last few days. Still, I think we can count with Zavulon, and maybe Imbrallius, although he will likely stay with the common goods. Maybe he can persuade a few others to help us - or maybe you can. I've lost my patience, and will let others handle that, since at this point I'll clearly do more harm than good>

Shademan
2008-03-01, 01:46 PM
Just in case anyone wondered: Zavulon made his way to the beach after his outburst at the dwarf and elf. any plant foolish enough to stand in his way was brutally trampled.

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 02:01 PM
Imbrallius

@ Eric: "Not a problem. Just be careful with it. I'd hate to have it lose it's teeth so soon after it's liberation from the sunken ship. If any more wish to help, I'll send them over with more cutting instruments."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 02:02 PM
Imbrallius
To Ovias, he adds. "I've thought about it. Haven't had the chance to discuss it with everyone. Going to find Mara to see if she can aid as well."

"Thank you, Master Imbrrallius", says Ovias, confident he can let it in the efficient administrator's hands. He locates Zavulon around the camp, and walks up to him, <Hello there, Zav. Would you care to help me clearing out a nice place I found? We should eventually be able to build a forge there, if everything goes well. Not sure I trust you alone with an axe, but we should have proffesional supervision>

OOC: Zombie Pixie, I'm not sure where we are in the week, but since most of us have already stablished what we are doing this week (you know, collecting rocks, hunting, etc), do you think we could wait until the start of next week? That way it doesn't mess up weekly actions. Then again, we can pretend this is all happening on the last day of the week, and thus neatly "tomorrow" is actually the start of the new week...

Actually, I'm liking that idea quite a bit, now that I think about it...

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 02:05 PM
((you silly! it tomorow is next week! >.> <.<

Honest!))

storyteller
2008-03-01, 02:12 PM
INFO ON BUILDING BOATS

In the Stormwrack supplement, I found some info on boats bigger than a rowing boat and smaller than a keelboat. A boat called "launch" has the following stats: 8 crew/passengers, speed 1-1/2 mph, cost 500 gp. Two of these boats would be enough. All you need is loads of wood and Roostin to craft the boats. :smallsmile:

Remember, though, that you don't have any maps or other navigation information.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 02:17 PM
INFO ON BUILDING BOATS

In the Stormwrack supplement, I found some info on boats bigger than a rowing boat and smaller than a keelboat. A boat called "launch" has the following stats: 8 crew/passengers, speed 1-1/2 mph, cost 500 gp. Two of these boats would be enough. All you need is loads of wood and Roostin to craft the boats. :smallsmile:

Remember, though, that you don't have any maps or other navigation information.

DC for boat building? And also, we are also lacking a second sailor to use the other boat...

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 02:24 PM
Is Launch capable of making ocean-faring voyages?

Shademan
2008-03-01, 02:38 PM

"Thank you, Master Imbrrallius", says Ovias, confident he can let it in the efficient administrator's hands. He locates Zavulon around the camp, and walks up to him, <Hello there, Zav. Would you care to help me clearing out a nice place I found? We should eventually be able to build a forge there, if everything goes well. Not sure I trust you alone with an axe, but we should have proffesional supervision>

"pfft! last time i tried to fell a tree i nearly struck of my own head!" Zavulon smiles "but id be throwing rocks at Orca-Khan for a forge now."

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 02:45 PM

total = 27

{{ So... Eric.. can you please put your name in bold at the top of your post! }}
{{ Taking a 20 on a profession check would take 20 weeks to do. I don't think you really want to commit to spending 20 weeks looking for a good place to plant a potato.}}

Epswitch

Great, the fat dwarf has to be right there.

Well before Eric locates his planting location or really even manages much progress, Epswitch approaches the dwarf and Eric and says, "Excellent, the legal owner of the potatoes. I would like to trade for one of them. I have eggs." Epswitch pauses and looks at the dwarf, "I also have a fair amount of Ale, if that is of interest to anyone."

Yeril
2008-03-01, 02:58 PM
Unable to sleep, Joseph raises himself out of his makeshift bed and has a walk around.

"Mhpm... Everyone else is still busy, arguing.. shouting.. Can’t sleep like this." He yawns and stretches, anyone close enough can hear his bones cracking unpleasantly from sleeping on the hard floor all week.

Taking a walk, anyone would notice a rare sight, Joseph without his coat. He meanders around and soon finds himself in the company of Ovais, Eric and Epswitch.
He nods a quick greeting before walking on. Though his mind soon wanders to the idea of eggs, He had eaten nothing but meat and berries and stale bread for the past week and a half, a scrabbled egg or two was looking too mouth watering to pass up.

"Ahh Epswitch?" he announces, as he returns to the trio.

TwoCents
2008-03-01, 04:13 PM
Roostin

Roostin tried to keep up as Ovias, Tano, and Zevulon argued back and forth, but gave up. "Right. Ah think Ah would also like to know whut you have planned and whut it's going to take, but Ah ain't gonna argue about it no more neither. Ah think Ah'm just gonna fix up the lifeboats we got. Ah need to add sails and something to use as a shelter, even if it's only a deck over the boats. If'n Ah can tie 'em together and rig a deck Ah will, and then we can all go in one vessel. Otherwise, Ah will start building another boat to take us out of here. Ah know how to teach a lubber how to sail, don't you worry. And Ah won't even flog you, neither." Roostin grinned, and turned to start work.

Actions over however many weeks it takes:

First: Repair hull of current lifeboat/launch #1. Rig a mast and lateen sail. Cut and sew two sails (including a spare) Repair seats and oars. (8 bodies leave the island)

Second: Repair hull of current lifeboat/launch #2. Rig a mast and lateen sail. Repair seats and oars. (8 more bodies leave the island)

Third: Build a third launch, including sail. (8 more bodies, which should be enough for everybody).

He will collect wood as needed to do the above. If the community shares wood, then Roostin will work faster. If he has to gather his own, he will do so. Once he's done, he will share his boats with whoever helped him.

He will claim his share of the salvaged sails and rigging from the shipwreck for the rigging of the boats.

Repairing ship damage while beached at an island in not an uncommon task for a sailor. If he absolutely has to, Roostin will salvage boards from the sunken ship by prying them off the remains.

He will sleep in his hammock, rigged from the cradle where he is working on the current boat, near the beach, even though it's not the best place, because he wants to be near to protect the boats from fire or storm damage.

If he needs to, he will take time off to get food for himself, or he will trade food with someone for a seat in the boat(s) when it/they are done. He will keep his barrel of water near the boats to use for firefighting, drinking, etc., and will refill it daily from the pond at whatever time the rest of the group is collecting water. He isn't looking to leave the community, but he is prepared to do this by himself if need be.

Fitting the masts will be the hardest part, but he will take 10 or 20 (Craft:Ship +4, Prof:Sailor +4) as needed to find the right trees to use as masts, and then hope to find help among the others for the actual stepping of the masts.

OOC:

re: lifeboats, I suggest the voyage of Bounty's launch (http://library.puc.edu/pitcairn/bounty/launch.shtml), or this one (http://www.plantexplorers.com/explorers/biographies/captain/captain-william-bligh.htm) about CAPT Bligh, or the Ency of Boating: Lateen Rig (http://books.google.com/books?id=VLg6Lx5yRP0C&pg=PA771&lpg=PA771&dq=lateen+rig+sail&source=web&ots=jwhxMau55n&sig=9_X2ZyYqshb6JOOIFPP1am5hxNg&hl=en)

Lonna
2008-03-01, 05:06 PM
Imbrallius

"Miss Herbswife? Have you a moment? I think we may have found some arable land I'd like to speak with you about."

Mara Herbswife

"Of course Master Imbrallius, what do you need?"

{{OOC: Is Ovias with you at this point?}}

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 05:20 PM
Mara Herbswife

"Of course Master Imbrallius, what do you need?"

{{OOC: Is Ovias with you at this point?}}

OOC: No, Ovias is off talking to Zavulon

Grey Wolf

smartaleq
2008-03-01, 06:50 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882) - Approaching the pond camp

Carrying his sack of goods, Ben exits out of the underbrush to the edge of the water. "Hallo pond folk!" Ben calls out before stooping down to have a drink of water. Brushing his lips with his hand, he smiles as he glances around, "Anyone of you here could take me to that horrid alter that has the elf's britches stained?"

This is all on the last day of week 2:
Ignoring the bigoted remark, Gil volunteers and leads Ben from the pond to the fire circle.

When Maria tells Gil about clearing a circle for farming and housing, Gil seems interested. He goes to the location as Maria does, and will check the nearby area for suitable location for setting defensive traps, pitfalls, warnings, etc. [roll0]
He will avoid speaking/interacting with Grey, but will otherwise be perfectly friendly.

Later in the day, Gil will stop by the beach to have a word with Roostin - via PM

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 07:23 PM
Imbrallius

OOC: Imbrallius is by himself.

IC: "First, I believe we've found suitable land, near fresh water, which should alleviate many of our concerns. Master Eric finds it arable enough for his tastes. I've designed a few procedures to help alleviate the contamination of the pond. Do you think we should move?"

Lonna
2008-03-01, 08:15 PM
Imbrallius

OOC: Imbrallius is by himself.

IC: "First, I believe we've found suitable land, near fresh water, which should alleviate many of our concerns. Master Eric finds it arable enough for his tastes. I've designed a few procedures to help alleviate the contamination of the pond. Do you think we should move?"

Mara Herbswife

"Perhaps. How long will it take to clear the area in preparation for farming or building? I'd also like to see the area, and your plans for preventing human waste from fouling the water, if that is possible."

Daryk
2008-03-01, 08:28 PM
Tano

The dwarf's remark was the last straw. "Avamai, picinauco," was all he said before stalking off to find the only other person who actually appeared to want to leave: Roostin, the sailor. Approaching the human, he said, "Master, ah, Roostin, is it? What aid do you require to repair the boats? You and I seem to be the only ones seriously interested in leaving this accursed place."

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 08:56 PM
Imbrallius

"If enough people pitch in, we could easily have it cleared for farming soon. Master Eric and Master Greybeard have already agreed, I theorize with six more people, we can have the land cleared and shelter built in two weeks. The tree cover will protect us more from a storm, especially if we want to repair and modify the boats. As much as I respect Master Roostin's zeal for shipbuilding, if a good storm rolls in, all his hard work will be for naught. Besides which, it is a closer location to Master Shortoe, and that would be ideal for fostering dialogue to hopefully end this division as well as a centered location for your talents. As far as my plans, they are admittedly only as good insofar as we follow them. Rather than using the lake itself, filling barrels and using that water for cooking, bathing, washing clothing, et cetera will slow the process of contamination a great deal. Once we begin crafting in earnest, I can ensure that work is done in a place far enough away. Similarly, I can make a plan for irrigation for Master Eric's crops so that the lake itself is relatively undisturbed."

Imbrallius take a breath, even though he had shelter and food, his body was still unused to this, and his throat was paying the price.

"Any other questions?"

Lonna
2008-03-01, 11:06 PM
Imbrallius

"If enough people pitch in, we could easily have it cleared for farming soon. Master Eric and Master Greybeard have already agreed, I theorize with six more people, we can have the land cleared and shelter built in two weeks. The tree cover will protect us more from a storm, especially if we want to repair and modify the boats. As much as I respect Master Roostin's zeal for shipbuilding, if a good storm rolls in, all his hard work will be for naught. Besides which, it is a closer location to Master Shortoe, and that would be ideal for fostering dialogue to hopefully end this division as well as a centered location for your talents. As far as my plans, they are admittedly only as good insofar as we follow them. Rather than using the lake itself, filling barrels and using that water for cooking, bathing, washing clothing, et cetera will slow the process of contamination a great deal. Once we begin crafting in earnest, I can ensure that work is done in a place far enough away. Similarly, I can make a plan for irrigation for Master Eric's crops so that the lake itself is relatively undisturbed."

Imbrallius take a breath, even though he had shelter and food, his body was still unused to this, and his throat was paying the price.

"Any other questions?"

Mara Herbswife

"None, thank you," answered Mara with a smile. "If you can lead me to the location, I'll advise the planners as to which areas are best set aside for privies and the dumping of used water barrels. That should further reduce our chances of contaminating our fresh water." Her smile faltered and a guilty look flitted over her face. Almost immediately the smile returned, though it now seemed a trifle sad, but Mara offered no explaination. "Have you time to show me the place now, or do you have other duties?"

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 11:37 PM
Imbrallius

"Hmm? Something is on your mind." The clerk asks almost immediately after she finishes.

Lonna
2008-03-01, 11:48 PM
Imbrallius

"Hmm? Something is on your mind." The clerk asks almost immediately after she finishes.

Mara Herbswife

"A personal matter," Mara assured him. "I have been... foolish, and unfair to one I call friend. I appreciate your concern, but I will soon take steps to resolve the issue. In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you could show me the potential building site."

Sicarius
2008-03-02, 12:03 AM
Imbrallius

Imbrallius smiles weakly, accompanied with a forced laugh. "I'm not sure you're aware of the situation. We're stranded on an island. Tempers are bound to flare. We need to be able to communicate effectively. Sometimes it's not an injury of the body that strains us."

Lonna
2008-03-02, 12:24 AM
Mara Herbswife

"I know, Master Imbrallius, and again, I thank you for your concern." Mara smiled, real gratitude evident in her voice. For a moment her expression became distant and sad, as if she were remembering another time and place.

"I know, all too well, how wounds of the heart may give pain," she murmured, raising her hand to her heart. Then her eyes snapped back into focus and she looked startled, as if she had forgotten she was not alone.

"My apologies, Master Imbrallius, I was lost in thought. As I was saying, I fear that in this case I dealt the injury, rather than receiving it, and so it falls to me to make things right."

Sicarius
2008-03-02, 12:30 AM
Imbrallius

"Merely offering a friendly voice, is all. Now come, the day grows late and I have much work to do. I still need to organize the others to see if any want to help in the clearing of wood."

Lonna
2008-03-02, 12:57 AM
Imbrallius

"Merely offering a friendly voice, is all. Now come, the day grows late and I have much work to do. I still need to organize the others to see if any want to help in the clearing of wood."

Mara Herbswife

"Of course, you're right," answered Mara, fully recalled to the present. Getting directions to the site, she examined it and pointed out to Eric or Ovias (whoever was closer) several nearby areas where wastes could be dumped without contaminating the pond water.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 05:02 AM
Mara Herbswife

"Of course, you're right," answered Mara, fully recalled to the present. Getting directions to the site, she examined it and pointed out to Eric or Ovias (whoever was closer) several nearby areas where wastes could be dumped without contaminating the pond water.

Ovias takes not of the areas pointed by Mara, marking them with more inescrutable runes*.

"Would you preferr the constrruction of outhouses and septic ditches, Froilain? I can add them to my plans, but will likely rrequirre some morre time", he enquires in a formal tone.

* Even if you read dwarfish, these are not readable, but are some kind of dwarven building code (sort of how no matter how much English you know, computer code makes no sense - except this is also likely a close guarded dwarven secret - even from other clans)

storyteller
2008-03-02, 05:04 AM
WEEK 3

Please calculate resources gained/used on Week 2. I suppose Imbrallius takes care of this as he did last week? I'll give you some xp if you do :smallwink: You're the clerk after all.

Those who didn't post this week are assumed to take the same resource action as on Week 1. No-one dies this week because of inactivity or withdrawing from the game; instead, their characters are NPCs now. They remain loyal to the bigger group if the Ovias vs Epswitch divide persists. If the players choose to return at some point (supposing that their characters are still alive...) they can continue playing without any complications.

Your housing/leadership meeting was very interesting to read but didn't do much good for your 'community'.

Weekly Challenge - Exploration

This week your task is to explore the island, find new resources, contact the natives, etc. It's largely up to you what you want to do. The maximum number of groups is 4. It's recommended that you don't go alone because there's a 33% chance for each group to bump into a random encounter and it may be anything from a rabid rabbit to Bal-ze-bal the blackspear. Bwahaha. :smallwink: I'm exaggerating here but what I mean is: be prepared to defend yourself.

This is what I want you to do now:

Find other characters who have similar interests. Discuss the destination and purpose of your trip either in the IC thread or via PMs if you don't want others to know about it.
Name your team and choose a leader.
Start a new thread. Name the thread as follows: Shipwrecked! Exploration: [team name]
PM me a link to your thread.

Give the following details in your thread:

Destination (e.g. the cliffs)
Purpose (e.g. finding ore)
Team members
Marching order
Anything else I should know

NO OPTIONAL QUEST THIS WEEK

Piggy Hunt continues...

Roostin:

Watching the sea from your tree one cold morning on Week 2, you notice a thick mist rising from the sea. Nothing unusual about that - but what's strange, you can hear a bell ringing somewhere amid the mist. You cannot see a ship, a boat, or anything else that could be the source of that sound. The sound of the ringing bell moves north along the coast and then fades away.

Lonna
2008-03-02, 05:25 AM

Ovias takes not of the areas pointed by Mara, marking them with more inescrutable runes*.

"Would you preferr the constrruction of outhouses and septic ditches, Froilain? I can add them to my plans, but will likely rrequirre some morre time", he enquires in a formal tone.

Mara Herbswife

"That would be ideal, but we can do without them for some time. Shelter for ourselves and our supplies is a higher priority," answered Mara, wincing internally at his formal address. "Look, um... may I speak to you? Privately, I mean?" she asked, avoiding his eyes and gesturing vaguely toward the brush.

{{Grey Wolf: If Ovias agrees to talk to Mara we can finish this via PM to avoid timeline and metaknowledge issues.}}

Shademan
2008-03-02, 05:38 AM
One night when most of the survivors is gathered Zavulon pledges his cause.
" LISTEN! If we are to survive we will be needing better tools and weapons, which i can make, but we need ORE! Therefore I will be going to the cliffs to find search for it! Ovias have allready agreed to follow me but i would like two more fella's that can be of any use!" He nods to no one i particular and wait for their replies.

Daryk
2008-03-02, 07:35 AM
Tano

Resource Action for Week 3
To avoid NPC-dom, Tano helps Roostin with the boats this week, either by taking 10 to "aid another" with the actual work, harvesting necessary materials, etc. as required. He will continue to stand both of the watches he's agreed to stand (taking 10 on his Spot/Listen checks throughout, for total results of 16 in each case), unless the work on the boats interferes. The boats are his priority, especially now that we know the shipping lane has more traffic than our doomed ship. Speaking of which, how often did ships leave for/arrive from Bluehaven and the colony?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 07:38 AM
Mara Herbswife

"That would be ideal, but we can do without them for some time. Shelter for ourselves and our supplies is a higher priority," answered Mara, wincing internally at his formal address. "Look, um... may I speak to you? Privately, I mean?" she asked, avoiding his eyes and gesturing vaguely toward the brush.

{{Grey Wolf: If Ovias agrees to talk to Mara we can finish this via PM to avoid timeline and metaknowledge issues.}}

Ovias answers, "As you wish, Froilain. What would you wish to discuss?", before walking further into the bushes (not that the site, as it stands, is particularly clean of the undergrowth), and finding a suitable confortable rock on which to sit.

OOC: Sure, lets finish this on PM.

Week 3 - Resource Actions
Not sure of the actions of others, so I'm going to make a few "Ifs":
If only Ovias works at contruction: He will start clearing his building site, untrained lumberjack takes 10

If both him and Eric are there: He helps Eric clear his site, untrained lumberjack takes 10

If Maria, Eric, Zavulon and Ovias help at the sites: clearing the underbrush directed by Maria (profession lumberjack untrained, directed: 10 or 11, depending on whether I get to use WIS bonus when directed)

If 5 people help at the sites: Since 4 are enough to clear the underbrush in a week, Ovias starts construction, using the accumulated stone and recently harvested lumber. Stonemasonery +8, carpentry +3, call it on average +5 for both: Construction +5, taking 10 against DC 10

If more than 5 people show up: I'll RP to see if anyone helps Ovias in contruction (he will direct those that are untrained). First he would approach Zavulon, if nothing else because Ovias fears he may injure himself if left alone too long with a saw :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Yeril
2008-03-02, 07:49 AM
Joseph resource action week 3
[roll0] Hunting.
<Due to Injury, May not be able to do a full week>

Shademan
2008-03-02, 08:06 AM
Zavulon will help cleaning out the trees and underbrush, taking 10 on his rolls

storyteller
2008-03-02, 08:37 AM
On average, a ship full of colonists and supplies leaves for the colony from Bluehaven every six months. Now it's springtime, third week of the fourth month.

And like Ovias, Tano and Joseph have already done, you can take a resource action as normally even if you're going to explore the island.

By the way, the two lifeboats are little more than rowboats. A launch is bigger, more seaworthy vessel. If you use parts from a lifeboat to construct a launch, you can reduce the cost of the launch (500 gp) by 50 gp for each lifeboat used in the construction. Of course, a lifeboat used as building material for the launch can no longer be used as a boat.

Tano

Resource Action for Week 3
To avoid NPC-dom, Tano helps Roostin with the boats this week, either by taking 10 to "aid another" with the actual work, harvesting necessary materials, etc. as required. He will continue to stand both of the watches he's agreed to stand (taking 10 on his Spot/Listen checks throughout, for total results of 16 in each case), unless the work on the boats interferes. The boats are his priority, especially now that we know the shipping lane has more traffic than our doomed ship. Speaking of which, how often did ships leave for/arrive from Bluehaven and the colony?

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 10:22 AM
Epswitch

{{ I get the feeling that there are more people at the pond with me now. If the 'ponders' want a fire and to post guards, I'm good with that. If we have any crops, I'd like to augment it, assuming I manage to get one of these darn potatoes. }}

Weekly actions :
Explore with the 'writers guild'.
Tend to chickens.
Gather wood for fire.
Avoid fat dwarf.
Enjoy not being stuck in a chimney.

jagadaishio
2008-03-02, 10:52 AM
Maria

Assuming that Maria can take a resource action and still explore with the 'writer's guild' (I like that, I suggest keeping the name) Maria takes 10 for a result of 11 on her profession (lumberjack) check while directing the others doing the same.

Yeril
2008-03-02, 11:05 AM
Im curious, who are the "writers guild" ?

Daryk
2008-03-02, 12:00 PM
The below is in reference to this earlier post...

Roostin
"Finally, if'n you want to find out what's down the coast of the island, what say Ah take three or four of y'all and we row around the dang island and just look? Give me some time, and Ah can rig a sail to help, although we're still gonna have to do a lot of rowing."[/COLOR]

Tano

"Master Roostin, you had mentioned rowing around the island earlier. Perhaps that is still a good idea, if we have time. What do you think?" asked Tano.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-02, 03:41 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

" LISTEN! If we are to survive we will be needing better tools and weapons, which i can make, but we need ORE! Therefore I will be going to the cliffs to find search for it! Ovias have allready agreed to follow me but i would like two more fella's that can be of any use!" He nods to no one i particular and wait for their replies.

I, for one, feel the need to explore. To stretch my legs would do me good, and I'm looking for berries which I could use as ink. I'm not bad in the woods, either.

Actions for the week:

1. Head to the cliffs with Zavulon
2. Forage and look for ink-substitute berries on the way and when (if) he returns: Survival [roll0]
3. Regardless of whether he's in a mission or back at camp, Janson will do his night watch: Spot [roll1] and Listen [roll2]
4. When he finds a small, furry creature along the way, he'll attempt to make it a pet: Handle Animal [roll3]

Lonna
2008-03-02, 06:36 PM
Tano

"Master Roostin, you had mentioned rowing around the island earlier. Perhaps that is still a good idea, if we have time. What do you think?" asked Tano.

Mara Herbswife

"That's not a bad idea, if one of the lifeboats is still seaworthy," commented Mara, overhearing. "Though it would perhaps be more useful, if slower, to walk along the shoreline instead. After all, while knowledge of the surrounding sea is useful, knowledge of the land can be put to use more immediately."

Lonna
2008-03-02, 06:48 PM
OOC:

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to put my resource actions in the first post and you can't roll in an edited post. :smallfrown:

Mara's actions for the week:

Join an exploration team heading down the coast (assuming one forms)
Gather edible plants (Survival 10+3)
Keep the dusk watch ([roll0], [roll1])
Give long-term care to those injured in the Piggy Hunt (Heal 10+8)

journeyman
2008-03-02, 06:49 PM
" LISTEN! If we are to survive we will be needing better tools and weapons, which i can make, but we need ORE! Therefore I will be going to the cliffs to find search for it! Ovias have allready agreed to follow me but i would like two more fella's that can be of any use!" He nods to no one in particular and waits for their replies.

Feln Zekor, Animal Trainer

I think I can be spared here long enough to go to the cliffs. I don't really know what help I'd be at mining, but I've got sharp eyes. Jes tell me what to look for. I think we could really use that forge, the sooner the better. I'm...not armed though. Do you know anyone that can fix a crossbow? (He seems embarrassed to admit this.)

Actions: Continue helping with the animals when not exploring (take 10+9)
Head to the cliffs with Zav and co.
Try to catch/domesticate any animal I can find. (Janson can have the cute furry things, I'll take anything that's trainable. It doesn't even need to be useful, I'd like having a pet :) 10+9=19 unless Janson helps me, in w/case 21)

jagadaishio
2008-03-02, 07:03 PM
Maria

I forgot to put Maria's actions for taking watch. She'll take ten on both checks for a result of 10 on each.

sickler
2008-03-02, 11:35 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Eventually, Ben hears of the group planning on exploring the island either in a boat or down the beach and volunteers his help (besides, what job could possibly be better than a long walk on the beach or a nice cruise?)

Weekly Actions:
Survival (Fishing): [roll0]

Shademan
2008-03-03, 01:44 AM
Great, i have my team, so lets go to the cliffs!
*explorer pose!*

Zed's Dead
2008-03-03, 07:47 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

Janson finds a likely-looking walking stick, a bit taller than him, and asks to borrow a knife so he can sharpen it to a point.

As he works, he laughs. If we meet a wild boar on the trail, perhaps it will simply run itself through. I'm not sure I could get this point to stick into sandy ground, much less the hide of a wild beast, but one must try, eh?

Janson notices his companion's shared interest in animals. When Feln asks, he doesn't hesitate: Of course. Together, we'd have no trouble training a flea to fetch firewood!

OOC: take 10 for a result of 16: Handle Animal

storyteller
2008-03-03, 08:50 AM
OOC:

Great! Zavulon, Ovias, Feln and Janson are ready to start exploring the cliffs. Choose a leader and follow the instructions in my Week 3 post in this thread.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-03, 10:25 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

In my experience, the one who proposes the path may lead the excursion. Zavulon, what say you?

Shademan
2008-03-03, 10:45 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

In my experience, the one who proposes the path may lead the excursion. Zavulon, what say you?

I agree mr... Jason, was it?
OKAY LADS. FOLLOW ME!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4016178#post4016178

smartaleq
2008-03-03, 01:12 PM
Im curious, who are the "writers guild" ?

Gil, Epswitch, Maria, Roostin, and maybe Elias will be leaving to explore together as well. They will be heading to the cliffs the day before the mining group(We'll go Friday, they go Saturday, letting other groups go Thurs/Sun). Their primary purpose is to find civilized people or a sign of them, and are only climbing as high as they might need to see that. On the way up, they will secure ropes to the cliffs as needed, allowing for easier passage by later non-climber groups.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74053

For weekly actions: Gil will craft "alarm" traps composed of triplines and falling rocks or other loud noises to surround the new farmsite/clearing. He will make them easily reset-able, and will show the others how to avoid them when able. As this is a weekly action for a short-term task, I'll take 20+4 for craft trap.

Imbrallius: Can I borrow a signal whistle from the pile for the week?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 03:17 PM

Before leaving for the construction site again, having arranged with Zav the exploration for next week, Ovias looked up Imbrallius.

"Masterr Imbrrallius, just two shorrt points - I have to get going. Could you lend me from the common pile the brrass horrn? I'll rreally only use it the day Zav is taking me and a couple otherrs to the cliffs - if we rrun into trrouble, I want to have something that can be hearrd all arround."

"Also, if I may be so bold to ask, what arre you planning for the morrnings of next week? We could use yourr help at the constrruction site - I am afrraid that clearring will take a week no matterr what, but if you come, I can starrt on the constrruction itself while otherrs clearr"

Shademan
2008-03-04, 01:48 PM
OOC: could we have the DM look at the Ore sidequest?

lawful_evil
2008-03-04, 08:02 PM
Epswitch

At the appropriate day, which we, the members of the writers guild, chose to not conflict with other expeditions, Epswitch heads down to the beach to talk with Larry. "Larry! Good to see you. There are numerous expeditions heading out into the forests that I've heard about. I'm going to join one, but I was wondering if you could keep an eye on my chickens while I'm gone. I'll, of course, watch yours when you go, if you decide to, that is... or you can have a couple eggs as payment.... so.. what do you say?"

TwoCents
2008-03-04, 08:49 PM
Roostin

Roostin looked up from where he was caulking the life boat. "Eh? Ah'd be happy to go with you, but Ah promised Gil yonder Ah'd he'p him with ropes and things on his trip to the cliffs. Ah need to finish making sure these boats are both right and tight 'fore Ah go, too. Maybe next week?"

At dawn, or when Imbralllius was first up and around in the morning, Roostin looked him up. "Imbrallius, Ah don't know if you've heard, but Gil and some of us are going to climb up the cliffs. We need rope, cause we want to leave a line so's others can get up easier. Ah don't know whut you can spare, but Ah'd surely like to take a couple of hundred feet or so. More if'n you'll let me have it."

Daryk
2008-03-05, 06:20 AM
Tano

"Of course, the boats take priority. Is there anything I can do while you're gone?" Tano asked.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 05:01 PM
Flashback: Return from the Piggy Hunt

Ovias, carrying as gently as he could, the fainted body of one of the hunters, laids him to rest under the meager protection afforded by the boats-and-canvas, as per Mara's instructions. She had managed to stabilise them, but they would be out of commission for a couple of days, and badly wounded for even more time after that. The hunt had been succesful, in the end, but they had come too close to complete disaster. Still, they had accumulated enough food for 25 people for two days, and a veritable wealth (100gp) of leather for their tanner to work on. Pitty he was the one currently lying at Ovias' feets.

<Don't worry, my friend, Mara will take care of you> said Ovias, before doubling back to drop part of the food in the pantry section of Imbrallius' ordered camp.

OOC: We may need to figure out when this happened - unless DM cares to revive them to full hitpoints by the next quest, some of these guys need up to four/five days of complete rest to recover, under Mara's long term care. I suppose that if we assume Wednesday, they'll be fine by Sunday, allowing them to start the third week with max HP.

Lonna
2008-03-06, 05:19 PM
OOC: We may need to figure out when this happened - unless DM cares to revive them to full hitpoints by the next quest, some of these guys need up to four/five days of complete rest to recover, under Mara's long term care. I suppose that if we assume Wednesday, they'll be fine by Sunday, allowing them to start the third week with max HP.

Actually, I checked, and if they remain on bedrest until they are completely well, even Joseph will be back to full strength in 3 days. Maria will be back to full strength in 2 days; Eric needs a 2 and 1/2 days. And they'll all be conscious before then, so they can function if needed (though as a healer Mara won't like it).

Yeril
2008-03-06, 05:35 PM
OOC:
With full term care and rest, Maria, Joseph and Eric will be on their feet in 2 days, and if they only take light activities for the rest of the week, they should be fine by week 3.

Joseph lays still inhastily administerd bandages that ran red with the blood. The boar must of hit somthing vital in his leg and joe passed out from blood loss.

Not all was a failure, though three of us were now bed ridden, they had managed to provide boar for meat, Two of them even! That would provide everyone with a much needed feast for a few days, everyone could enjoy that.

WEEK 3 ACTIONS

use Craft (Leatherworking) To "upgrade" my longcoat with some thicker leather patches, hopefuly making it stronger, more durable, and more protective.

Craft (Leatherworking) : Leather Armor
Taking 10, a weeks worth of Craft Leatherworking gives me a score of 15, making 18GP worth of equiptment, and leather armor costs 10gp, so I make 8gp excess crafting potential that I'll use to make some Waterskins, 8 of them.

USES 6GP worth of LEATHER
PROVIDES 1 LEATHER ARMOR + 8 WATERSKINS

The days went past, and with the wonderful care of Mara, Joseph was back on his feet and hobbling about the place, he quickly got to work with the boar skin, he had somthing in mind for it.

He started with an array of knives and razors, scraping them up and down the hide on both sizes to get rid of any unwanted flesh, dirt, skin and hair until there was just the tough hide left. He washed it in salt water, cleaned it, scrapped it and worked it until the hide had been worked into a makeshift leather, It wouldn't be as strong as conventional leather, but that took months to prepare.

When this was finished, he then cut the leather into patches, and then carefuly dismantled his coat and began sewing the leather plates into the fabric of the coat. It would be a shoddy job, But it would help protect him better if he found himself in a fight again.

When he was finished, he tried to make use of the leftover pieces, and eventualy decided to make some waterskins, they would be use here. Once they were sewn and made watertight, he kept one and left the rest in the "communal pile".

Zombie pixe
2008-03-07, 12:42 PM
Restless to get back to work on his farming project, eric waists no time after coming round and hurrys back to the plot of land where he was working...

((Can someone stop me in RP please, what eric is doing is in character, but not the smartest thign to do :smalltongue: ))

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-07, 02:19 PM
Restless to get back to work on his farming project, eric waists no time after coming round and hurrys back to the plot of land where he was working...

((Can someone stop me in RP please, what eric is doing is in character, but not the smartest thign to do :smalltongue: ))

Catching up to him by running, Ovias grabs hold of Erric before he can leave the beach, and pleads "Frriend Erric, please don't leave! Mara will shave my bearrd if she discoverrs I let you injurre yourrself by worrking! I prromise I will make sure your plot of land is rready forr cultivation by next week, but until then you must rrest. I can cut the trrees, but only you can farrm the land! I'm surre Master Imbrrallius will find someone to substitute you, maybe even himself"

Zombie pixe
2008-03-07, 02:33 PM
If you are sure...?

after being comforted, eric relents and heads back to be treated...

( i rest for the rest of the week)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-07, 03:07 PM
If you are sure...?

after being comforted, eric relents and heads back to be treated...

( i rest for the rest of the week)

OOC: Actually, as a rule of thumb, if Mara's numbers are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them), all you need is three days of resting - as long as piggy hunt happened in week 2 day 4, Eric'd be healthy enough to go exploring with Ovias on the 7th day, and ready to start clearing the sites on the first day of week 3, so no real changes of plans are needed, except that whatever task you attempted in week 2 would be unfinished.

storyteller
2008-03-08, 08:20 AM
OOC:

Yes, all characters are at full hp when the exploration quest begins. A wounded character may complete his resource actions for week 2 and 3 normally, so that you don't have to calculate partial resource actions. You may, however, voluntarily forgo your resource action for week 3 to RP the injury.

Week 4 begins tomorrow. I'm not going to give you new quests or tasks for week 4; instead, you can continue exploring the island. You may continue your ongoing quest or start a new one. You may change teams (if Roostin, for example, wants to go rowing with Tano and Mara).

Yeril
2008-03-08, 02:00 PM
OOC: Heres an idea, How about, for future reference, If somone is injured and has to spend X days healing, they can still make a resource check, but at a -3 penalty per day.

Eg. Joseph has been injured and requires 5 days to heal up back to when he can go hunting again, he makes a profession hunting check for that week at a -15 penalty, Luckily because he has +7, this ends up at -8, and he scores a 19, meaning a total of 11, feeding himself out of good skill, and incredible luck

Yeril
2008-03-09, 06:10 AM
Joseph Bridgeman - Week 4 Resource Action

Clad is his now, even thicker coat, Joseph heads off into the wilderness once more to continue his hunt.

Profession (Hunter) - Take 10 - Scores 17 Feeds Himself + 3 Others

Zombie pixe
2008-03-09, 10:42 AM
Eric the Brewer

I continue clearing out my plot of land, with the help of all those people who offered...

Daryk
2008-03-09, 11:07 AM
Tano

Tano continues to aid Roostin in the construction of the boats (taking 10 to "aid another") and stand his two watches. Tano will also begin learning Profession (Sailor) from Roostin, and observe the fishermen at their work (in preparation for learning those skills if he ever makes it to second level). At least once per watch, and twice during the day, Tano will also climb Roostin's tree to look around for a few minutes.

Shademan
2008-03-09, 01:02 PM
OOC: Zavulon will attempt to gather gather ore if the search for it is succesfull- he will take 20.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 04:05 PM
OOC: Zavulon will attempt to gather gather ore if the search for it is succesfull- he will take 20.

OOC: You cannot take 20 in weekly things, because taking 20 takes 20 times the amount of time a regular action take. Sorry. I'm going to wait till the end of the exploration to decide on actions for week 4.

Shademan
2008-03-09, 04:06 PM
OOC: You cannot take 20 in weekly things, because taking 20 takes 20 times the amount of time a regular action take. Sorry. I'm going to wait till the end of the exploration to decide on actions for week 4.

take ten then?

Lonna
2008-03-09, 04:41 PM
Mara Herbswife

Sunday morning Mara approached Roostin and Tano where they worked on the ship. "Were you gentlemen still interested in exploring down the coast? We could go away from the cliffs, since those were thoroughly investigated last week. I still have hope of finding running water." Noting the condition of the lifeboats she adds, "If neither of the boats are seaworthy we can simply walk along the beach, though it will be a bit slower."

OOC: How soon will the areas Eric and Ovias found be ready for planting and human (/elf/dwarf/halfling) occupation? In other words, what week do we move to better lodging than our makeshift tents?

Mara's actions for week 4:

Form a group to explore down the coast - looking primarily for running water.
Gather edible plants - Survival 10+3
Help Ovias clear out area for/build shelter
Give long-term care to anyone injured - Heal 10+8
Keep the dusk watch - [roll0],[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 05:14 PM
Mara Herbswife

How soon will the areas Eric and Ovias found be ready for planting and human (/elf/dwarf/halfling) occupation? In other words, what week do we move to better lodging than our makeshift tents?

Taking a break from the work at the sites, Ovias answers, <Can't really say, Mara. The sites will be clear of trees by the end of th week, which will allow Eric to start planting immediately, but construction of even small lodgings will take at least two weeks, and that is assuming three other people help me with it, which at this point I cannot count with - everyone else is too busy with other things, or they are too oposed to me to want to help. I did ask Imbrallious to help recruit some people, but so far he has been too busy with his own work to be able to properly convince others to help here.>

<For example, I was hoping to start laying some ground work for the refuge this week, but since only Maria, Eric, Zav and me are actually clearing out trees, we're missing people: we need four to clear the trees. I know that Zav and Eric will not help next week with the refuge (Zav wants to start mining, Eric wants to start his otato farm), and I can't count with Maria helping me with construction, so likely I will be all alone in the construction, which would take me almost two months. At that point, however, I'd likely find something else in which to occupy my time.>

Lonna
2008-03-09, 06:30 PM
Taking a break from the work at the sites, Ovias answers, <Can't really say, Mara. The sites will be clear of trees by the end of th week, which will allow Eric to start planting immediately, but construction of even small lodgings will take at least two weeks, and that is assuming three other people help me with it, which at this point I cannot count with - everyone else is too busy with other things, or they are too oposed to me to want to help. I did ask Imbrallious to help recruit some people, but so far he has been too busy with his own work to be able to properly convince others to help here.>

<For example, I was hoping to start laying some ground work for the refuge this week, but since only Maria, Eric, Zav and me are actually clearing out trees, we're missing people: we need four to clear the trees. I know that Zav and Eric will not help next week with the refuge (Zav wants to start mining, Eric wants to start his otato farm), and I can't count with Maria helping me with construction, so likely I will be all alone in the construction, which would take me almost two months. At that point, however, I'd likely find something else in which to occupy my time.>

Mara Herbswife

<As long as the others continue to bring in enough food for the group to survive I'd be happy to help however I can. I don't know home much use I'll be though. I know nothing of crafting wood, and I lack the strength of the assistants you are losing.> A frown flitted across her face as she added, <That is part of why I became a healer in first place. I lacked the skills and strength to haul nets as most women in my village did. Still, it will be better for everyone if we can establish a more permanent shelter - less danger from exposure and less vulnerability to foul weather. Not to mention I'm sure we'll all feel better when we have stout walls between ourselves and anything that may come at us during the night.>

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 06:41 PM
Mara Herbswife

<As long as the others continue to bring in enough food for the group to survive I'd be happy to help however I can. I don't know home much use I'll be though. I know nothing of crafting wood, and I lack the strength of the assistants you are losing.> A frown flitted across her face as she added, <That is part of why I became a healer in first place. I lacked the skills and strength to haul nets as most women in my village did. Still, it will be better for everyone if we can establish a more permanent shelter - less danger from exposure and less vulnerability to foul weather. Not to mention I'm sure we'll all feel better when we have stout walls between ourselves and anything that may come at us during the night.>

<Actually, it doesn't take that much physical strength - not always. I can provide the muscle when needed, but there is plenty enough to do. However, your work keeping us healthy has proven to be far more important than any of this construction work. So long as people are hurt, I cannot possibly ask you to help here, not when we are surrounded by dangers - not to mention the ones we actually go looking for...>

Lonna
2008-03-09, 07:01 PM

<Actually, it doesn't take that much physical strength - not always. I can provide the muscle when needed, but there is plenty enough to do. However, your work keeping us healthy has proven to be far more important than any of this construction work. So long as people are hurt, I cannot possibly ask you to help here, not when we are surrounded by dangers - not to mention the ones we actually go looking for...>

Mara Herbswife

<I have enough training that it truly doesn't take that much effort to care for two or three people, especially since they mostly need to sleep. Normally I supplement our food stocks with edible plants during the rest of the day, and if you truly think I can be of some help, this would simply be a change in my normal routine. Besides, building proper shelter is as important to me as a healer as it is to anyone wanting to get out of the wind and weather. Those who are injured are doubly vulnerable to the illnesses damp and cold can bring, and having true walls to shelter behind will go a long way toward preventing such complications.>

Yeril
2008-03-09, 07:12 PM
"There are many who can help Ovias, without sounding rude, I have seen many who havn't been "pulling their wieght" so to speak, Im sure they could be convinced to lend a hand, and likewise, even the hobbit and his friends should be able to see the benifits in helping construct a more permenant homestead." Joseph nods, joining in the conversation.

"Perhaps even Tano and Roostin can take a break from their shipbuilding schemes and help." Joe smiles hopefuly once more before heading into the forest a second time.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 07:27 PM
"There are many who can help Ovias, without sounding rude, I have seen many who havn't been "pulling their wieght" so to speak, Im sure they could be convinced to lend a hand, and likewise, even the hobbit and his friends should be able to see the benifits in helping construct a more permenant homestead." Joseph nods, joining in the conversation.

"Perhaps even Tano and Roostin can take a break from their shipbuilding schemes and help." Joe smiles hopefuly once more before heading into the forest a second time.

"As much as I would like to think that is possible, I am afraid the elf is definetely against the idea, and likely so is Rrostin. Besides, afterr my last attempt at getting anyone to help, I have given up. Everryone in the camp knows about the sites, if they want to help they know werre to find Erric and me. That said, if you want to gatherr them, convince them to help with the prroject and send them ourr way, I would be grrateful."

"Anyway, if you think you will have time to help, frriend Mara, I will gladly have you. Howeverr, since we arre planning to explorre the cliffs soon, I am unwilling to commit to a definite schedule until we know what we find therre. I would still prreferr a cave to any shack I manage to build in the middle of a forrest."

jagadaishio
2008-03-09, 07:29 PM
Since the boars gave us a small food buffer, Maria continues to work on clearing out a section of the forest. She takes 10 on her profession (lumberjack) check.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 07:59 PM
Since the boars gave us a small food buffer, Maria continues to work on clearing out a section of the forest. She takes 10 on her profession (lumberjack) check.

OOC: In week 4, you mean? Because the two sections Eric and Ovias needed clearing were cleared in the first week of working on them. I suppose you can continue to clear other chunks of forest, go for it, but Ovias could really use some help with construction.

Lonna
2008-03-09, 08:04 PM
OOC: In week 4, you mean? Because the two sections Eric and Ovias needed clearing were cleared in the first week of working on them. I suppose you can continue to clear other chunks of forest, go for it, but Ovias could really use some help with construction.

OOC: Just to make sure I'm on the same page - you guys started clearing in week 3 correct? And Mara is now volunteering to help out in week 4? That was my understanding at least. :smallconfused:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-09, 09:00 PM
OOC: Just to make sure I'm on the same page - you guys started clearing in week 3 correct? And Mara is now volunteering to help out in week 4? That was my understanding at least. :smallconfused:

OOC: As my understandment goes, Maria volunteered to help Ovias, Zav and Eric with their clearing-creating activities in week 3. Since DM said it takes 10gp to create the clearing, four people are enough to create two clearing in a week. However, once the clearings are created, what Ovias needs is help during weeks 4 and 5 to build the refuge itself (indeed, I was hoping for enough volunteerers for the clearing in week 3 to get Ovias started in the refuge on week 3, but that has not happened). Mara would have to help in week 4, and that will be on the refuge indeed.

TwoCents
2008-03-09, 10:05 PM
Roostin

Roostin continued mending the lifeboats until they were both as seaworthy as he could make them. He added small masts and a simple sail as well. One night* at campfire, he announced, "Well, Ah've fixed up the two boats we had now. We can take one and row around the island and see whut we can see. Maybe the fishermen could use the other one and get a bigger catch; Ah know it's easier to catch them dang fish if'n you're actually fishing where they are."

He sat for a while, chewing on whatever food had been offered him. "Ah know some people been acting like there are two different crews on this island. Ah might even be one of the people whut might have he'pd people get that idea. Ah'm going to try one more time to explain mahself, and if'n Ah cain't, then Ah'm just going to shut up cause it's too hard." Roostin paused again, trying to get his thoughts in order. "Ah ain't an idiot, and Ah don't like being treated like Ah'm too stupid to understand. Ah will work on a project if'n a person will tell me whut it's going to be and why Ah should do it. Ah know Ah can build a boat and get off this dang island, and Ah've told you whut Ah'm going to do to make that happen. If'n y'all want me to do something else with mah time, you have to tell me whut that something is, and how much of mah time you want."

"Yes, Ovias, Ah'm looking at you. You keep telling me you know whut you're doing and Ah should just trust you and do whut you tell me, and when Ah ask, 'whut is it you want me to do' you answer 'Ah already told you and Ah ain't going to tell you again!' Well, maybe you did, but if you did Ah don't remember whut you said, so if'n you would just kindly tell me whut it is you want to build and where it is you want to build and how long you think it's going to take, Ah would thank you kindly."

Roostin grinned, showing the vestiges of the devil-may-care boy he once was. "Long time ago a feller told me Ah should just trust him and Ah would have all the girls, gin, and good times a man could have and Ah wouldn't never have to see a plow again. Last honest thing that feller ever said to me was, 'sign here, boy, and you'll be a sailor-man', so you'll forgive me if Ah ain't the trusting type no more."

OOC: Since I don't know how much damage the boats sustained in the fire/escape/salvage trip, I can't estimate how long the repairs would take. Hence, this conversation took place whenever he was done, whether that be in week 3, 4, or whatever.

jagadaishio
2008-03-09, 10:08 PM
OOC: As my understandment goes, Maria volunteered to help Ovias, Zav and Eric with their clearing-creating activities in week 3. Since DM said it takes 10gp to create the clearing, four people are enough to create two clearing in a week. However, once the clearings are created, what Ovias needs is help during weeks 4 and 5 to build the refuge itself (indeed, I was hoping for enough volunteerers for the clearing in week 3 to get Ovias started in the refuge on week 3, but that has not happened). Mara would have to help in week 4, and that will be on the refuge indeed.

Since the clearing appears to be quite cleared already, Maria will help Ovias on the construction of the communal shelter and palisade. The wood from the clearings should be enough for this week of work at the very least.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-10, 06:57 AM
Roostin
<snip>
"Yes, Ovias, Ah'm looking at you. You keep telling me you know whut you're doing and Ah should just trust you and do whut you tell me, and when Ah ask, 'whut is it you want me to do' you answer 'Ah already told you and Ah ain't going to tell you again!' Well, maybe you did, but if you did Ah don't remember whut you said, so if'n you would just kindly tell me whut it is you want to build and where it is you want to build and how long you think it's going to take, Ah would thank you kindly."

"You arre looking at me, you say? I cannot imagine why would that be. I have always been clearr about my prriorrities: to keep everryone in this grroup alive. Forr that, we need shelterr. I cannot build boats, I can harrdly fish, but I can build, so I will build whateverr I can to help out with this situation. Yes, obviously Erric and I found two nearrby sites, his perrfect forr farrming, mine good enough forr contrruction. Once finished the clearring of trrees, I will starrt on the rrefuge. It will be a small palisade, prrobably with sails strretched overr it. Howeverr, constrruction will be slow: on averrage, a trrainee can build 10 feet a week, and I prrobably will go no fasterr than 15."

"My idea is to build four 20 feet long walls in the clearring. This gives an innerr surrface of 400 squarre feet. It will harrdly be huge, but enough for the 20-something people in the grroup to sleep inside or take rrefuge in case of an attack. It will also be a starrting point, which we can add to if we have the time and the rresources. I will build a mixed wood/stone palisade, so as to not use all the wood we have, and to make it strronger."

"One <caveat>, howeverr: I will not have in the site people unwilling to take orrderrs. Constrruction is a trricky thing, and those unwilling to listen I will not have. We have worrked togetherr, and I know it is not yourr case, Rroostin, but it is so with otherrs herre. Those people I want out of the way."

"Finally, since we arre being so open with each otherr, I must say I find yourr own ship prroject verry dangerrous. You have neitherr tarr norr wax to prrotect the wood frrom the waterr, and you arre using grreen wood, rrecently cut, to build. Any boat built frrom such will quickly leak and sink: you need to drry the lumberr firrst. We also have a pitiful small amount of irron nails, without which your ship will not stay togetherr in strrong weatherr orr currents. And even if all those things werre solved, we have neitherr charrts norr enough sailorrs to get all of us out of herre: if you finish a boat, load it with food and waterr and leave, who will rremain to take the rrest of us out of herre?"

storyteller
2008-03-11, 10:38 AM
Writer's Guild has completed the first part of its mission: to climb to the top of the cliffs. They may now continue to explore new areas if they wish. Zavulon's mining team has found some iron ore, and thus their quest is completed. Feln and Janson also found some cute animals, so you'll have new mouths to feed, hehe :smallwink:

You may now change teams if you wish and go rowing, for example. Beware the sea monsters :smallbiggrin:

Here's an updated map, thanks to Epswitch's efforts:

??????????????
????????????*-
???????????**-
???????^??*tt-
??????^^^ttt.-
???????^ttt.--
??????ttttt.--
??????tttt^---
?????ttttt^---
????ttttttt^--
---.tttttt.---
----.tttt.----
-----..tt.----
-------..-----
--------------

. beach
t forest
^ cliffs or hills
* marsh
? unknown; "fog of war"

I'll later post another map with all important locations marked on it...

lawful_evil
2008-03-11, 12:46 PM
Epswitch

{{ Yeah! Go team Supercool! }}

Back at camp, Epswitch tends to his flock and relaxes a bit in his 'tent'. About at the end of the 3rd week, the incubation period on the first batch of eggs has been reached and numerous baby chicks appear in and around Epswitch's camp.

Epswitch spends week 4 tending to the newborns and seeing that everything in his camp area is progressing nicely. He spends about half the week also gathering wood so he can build a small(halfling sized) structure(about the size of a small chicken coop).

"Ah, they're so cute when they're that size." The little baby chickens are all yellow and fluffy and cute, but have wicked sharp beaks, so watch out.

sickler
2008-03-11, 03:11 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Ben approaches Mara some convinient time. "I'd be interested in gettin' a look around this island. Seeing the same faces, same trees, same everything is starting to get to me."

Week 4 action:
Fishing (Survival): [roll0]

Lonna
2008-03-11, 04:07 PM

Ben approaches Mara some convinient time. "I'd be interested in gettin' a look around this island. Seeing the same faces, same trees, same everything is starting to get to me."

Week 4 action:
Fishing (Survival): [roll0]

Mara Herbswife

"I can understand that," responds Mara, smiling kindly. Her tone makes it clear she is speaking from experience as she continues, "It's difficult to watch everyone else working when you can't do anything to help yourself. If you're at loose ends, I know Ovias could use some help with constructing a more permanent shelter. I'm doing what I can, but I just don't have the strength to do alot of the lifting. I'm sure he would be pleased to have another pair of hands."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-11, 05:54 PM
Zavulon's mining team has found some iron ore, and thus their quest is completed. Feln and Janson also found some cute animals, so you'll have new mouths to feed, hehe :smallwink:

Coming back from the expedition, Ovias looks elated, a definite spring in his step, and a strongly clutched bag of redish ore that can be turned into pure iron. He carefully returns the horn he borrowed from the common pile, thankful of not having needed it.

To those around the camp, he resumes the expedition, "We werre succesful: we found a prromising irron vein, in a shallow cave that might be able to be expanded - but I will finish the forrest rrefuge beforre turrning to that. Zavulon is itching to starrt the mining operration, although brringing the metal back herre may be a prroblem - any ideas on that would be apprreciated. I am used to building the city arround the mine, not the otherr way arround. The orre cave about 30 feet above the grround, too, which may cause additional trroubles down the line, but that if we can indeed expand would be the perrfect defensive place."

"Oh, also, the two humans found some kind of crreaturres they intend to rraise. Anyone interrested betterr ask them dirrectly - I was not paying that much attention to it myself, what with the irron being so close"

"If an expedition goes towarrds the west, I will be happy to go as well. As a prreferrence, I would rratherr walk, but if everryone else would rratherr take boats, and therre is space forr me, I can worrk with that"

"Finally, this week I intend to starrt worrk on the rrefuge. If I could know who would like to help, that would rreally help in the orrganisation of the worrk. I already am counting on Mara and Maria, any otherr takerrs?"

Actions for week 4:
Construction at the site: while directing Mara, Maria and any other volunteers to work on the wooden parts, work on the stone sections of the construction: stonemasonery 10+8.

Quest week four: Mara's expedition

jagadaishio
2008-03-11, 07:54 PM
OOC:

What type of animals were found on the ore-hunting expedition?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-11, 08:11 PM
OOC:

What type of animals were found on the ore-hunting expedition?

OOC:Sorry, I really should've added that as a note. We rescued a Fennec fox (adorable little thing) from a dire rat, and they found the egg of some bird, too, which I assume they'll have to hatch somehow over the coming weeks. The egg is about as big as a chicken egg. Ovias, if asked, will say "a dog with big ears and an egg"

Shademan
2008-03-12, 03:55 PM
there would be no reason to mine ore whitout a smelter, and no reason to smelt whitout a forge, but now as they know theres ore they need a smelter and a forge.
sounds like a building project!

journeyman
2008-03-14, 05:30 AM
Feln Zekor

Feln is so deliriously happy you'd think he found a smuggler's stash of rum. He proudly shows off his furry new friend, the fennec fox, to anyone who shows the slightest interest. His first stop though is with Mara herbwife. "Can you help, please?" He asks with a puppy dog look. He delicately unwraps the bandages to show her the fox's wounds. "They're giant rat bites and I'm worried my little friend will get sick." :smallfrown:

Action for the week: Train the fox to "heel". [roll0]vs DC 15.

BTW: What is the gender of the fox? What is its Int (and other stats for that matter?) Does it have the scent quality?

Lonna
2008-03-14, 06:08 AM
Mara Herbswife

Mara laughed a bit at Feln's expression, but gave her full attention to the wounded animal. "I've never tried to heal a fox," she commented absently, her voice muffled as she dug through her backpack, "but I expect- ah, here they are!"

Mara emerged triumphantly with a small bundle of dried herbs, all that was left of the medicinal plants she had gathered the second week. Thanks to these, she had barely had to touch the healer's kit when taking care of those the she-boar had injured. Crumbling the brittle leaves, Mara used water from her waterskin to make a paste, which she then smeared on the worst of the wounds before carefully re-wrapping the bandages around them.

"Change the bandages daily, but leave the paste on as long as you can," she instructed. "It should stop any infection. When you can't see any of the paste anymore - probably in about three days - rinse all the wounds with fresh water, boiled, if possible. I'll check on you and your new friend occasionally to make sure everything is going well."

I'm assuming this is a flashback to Week 3, since that's when you went to the cliffs. That being the case, Mara has no light actions to take in Week 3, so she might as well help you heal up your fuzzy friend.

storyteller
2008-03-14, 08:17 AM
You notice that the fox is male. He does sniff around a lot like dogs do, so maybe he has Scent, but you can't be sure. You also notice that his ears are very keen. Like dogs, foxes are intelligent animals (Int 2).

He eats everything you give him, but still it seems he doesn't trust you. Unlike dogs, foxes are wild animals and they have those wild genes that makes them harder to be trained than domesticated animals.

OOC: You have no idea what his stats are, but foxes' physiology is similar to that of dogs of the same size. You'll have to make another Handle Animal check to rear the fox, but you can do that on the same week as you start teaching him tricks. If you fail, you won't get another chance to rear the same animal.

journeyman
2008-03-14, 04:59 PM
Feln Zekor

Attempting domestication [roll0]
If I'm having a tough time of it, I'll ask Janson for help.

EDIT: Die roller hates me again, I may need aid another to pull this off. Do I get a circumstance mod for saving it?

Yeril
2008-03-14, 05:33 PM
OOC: If Janson can't help, Joseph takes some time to tell Feln what he knows about dealing with Wild Animals. Handle Animal take 10 +1 so 11, to Aid another.

TwoCents
2008-03-14, 06:58 PM
Roostin

"Finally, since we arre being so open with each otherr, I must say I find yourr own ship prroject verry dangerrous. You have neitherr tarr norr wax to prrotect the wood frrom the waterr, and you arre using grreen wood, rrecently cut, to build. Any boat built frrom such will quickly leak and sink: you need to drry the lumberr firrst. We also have a pitiful small amount of irron nails, without which your ship will not stay togetherr in strrong weatherr orr currents. And even if all those things werre solved, we have neitherr charrts norr enough sailorrs to get all of us out of herre: if you finish a boat, load it with food and waterr and leave, who will rremain to take the rrest of us out of herre?"

OOC: enough with the "Ah" for "I". Just imagine him talking like Larry the Cable Guy

"Well, thank you for honesty. I'll tell you a few things, though, if I may, 'cause I think I may understand whut some of our problems may be. You see, I respect your skills. I believe you if you say you know more about how to build a house than I do. I wasn't looking for some detailed design or nothing, I just wanted to know whut you wanted to build for a house and where you wanted to build it."

"Now, if'n you go and get upset when a feller asks you a question, you ain't gonna live long, dwarf or no dwarf."

"And, by the by, don't teach your granma to suck eggs, 'specially if you ain't got any chickens. I know whut I need to build a ship. I need wood, some cured, and some green. You cure green wood in place to make the keel, and without a keel you ain't got no ship. If'n you want to come to where I'm building the cradle I can show you. I need wooden pegs to hold the hull together. Don't use nails or they'll rust out. I need pitch. Look around at all these trees; I can get pitch. I need rope and sails. I need tools. I need time. I need some he'p, I don't deny it. But I can get everything I need from this here forest. If I have to, I can go over to that ship over there and pry the dang decking up piece by piece. I don't need no metal fittings unless I'm going to build me a dang three master frigate, and I ain't looking to do that. Just a boat big enough for us all to get off here. I ain't planning on leaving anybody here 'less y'all throw me off or don't want to go. Sailing ain't all that hard. Heck, even a dang dwarf can do it!" Roostin chuckled and dusted the sand off his hands before going back to work.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-14, 08:48 PM
Janson watches Feln's efforts, and when he thinks he can offer without insulting him, he offers some advice.

Watch. Don't try to crowd him. Let him think it's his idea to befriend us. See?

Janson is eating a small morsel of pork. He waits until the dog whines before allowing the dog to take it from his fingers.

aid another on handle animal 1d20+6

Zed's Dead
2008-03-14, 08:49 PM
[roll0] Rerolling for syntax. Sorry for double post.

Shademan
2008-03-16, 09:44 AM
apart from the regular surviving thingies, Zavulon will spend alot of time trying to convince Ovias to help him build a ore smelter in stone near the cliffs.

[roll0] survival

storyteller
2008-03-17, 05:42 PM
WEEK 5

Sorry about the delay!

Tasks for week 5:

Roll call. Let's see who's still with us. Post at least one message in the main IC thread.
Exploration quests continue. Something interesting is going to happen :smallwink:

I've got a surprise for week 6... a change of pace :smallamused:

lawful_evil
2008-03-17, 07:14 PM
Epswitch

Having never experienced the wonder of birth(and hopefully he never will), Epswitch is in awe of how fast his little chicks are growing. The still wander around with the mother birds, but they are loosing their cute little yellow fuzz and growing up so fast. Awwww

At least the birds are decreasing the ground based insect populate near his campsite.

Yeril
2008-03-17, 07:35 PM
Joeseph

Joe decides to have a chance of pace and adventures out into a different hunting area, trusting his luck and skill.

Rolling this week, [roll0]

Lonna
2008-03-17, 08:02 PM
Mara Herbswife

Mara continued to help Ovias with the construction of sturdy walls to shelter the group, and, anxious about disease catching hold if they remained exposed, tried to persuade anyone with idle hands to do the same. At some point during the week she approaches Roostin and Tano while they are taking a break from working on the ship.

"May I have a moment of your time, gentlemen? I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding between yourselves and Ovias, and I'd like to try to resolve it if I can."

Actions for the week:
Help Ovias with construction
Keep dusk watch at main camp [roll0] [roll1]
Cross my fingers and hope to mend at least one rift in the camp

sickler
2008-03-17, 10:52 PM
Ben

Ben changes pace of fishing instead volunteering to help with the construction. (taking 10 on his rolls)

Zed's Dead
2008-03-17, 11:19 PM
Janson (if he lives--I'm quite afraid, what with the spooky stuff going on down the beach) will spot and listen at guard duty.

He's also writing the history of the survivors in a kind of invented shorthand in order to conserve paper.

For guard duty:
Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Daryk
2008-03-18, 05:08 AM
Tano

"Mistress Herbswife, I do not believe there is any misunderstanding. The dwarf made his position perfectly clear the last time we spoke: he is unwilling to engage in an informed debate. I will NOT stay here any longer than absolutely necessary. I will continue to stand the double watches I have committed to, but the second we have sufficient transport, I am leaving this miserable rock," the elf said, visibly restraining his temper. The anger and frustration that welled up inside Tano surprised him, but he didn't want to take it out on Mara.

journeyman
2008-03-18, 07:05 AM
Feln Zekor

@Storyteller
You haven't said whether Feln succeeded on taming the fox...
Regardless, I've been tasked out again, so I may be fairly inactive for the next 2 weeks, just thought I'd mention it so we don't time-warp conversations later.

Weekly actions: Teach the fox the tricks "defend" and "fetch", take 10 if anyone will give him a hand (for 21 w/aid another).
Care for the egg.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-18, 08:18 AM
Ovias will continue to work on the construction for week 5. He will also explain to Zavulon that the fastest way he can get his smelter is to help him get the refuge done as soon as possible.

OOC: I'll try to get a list of resources and work done and left in a couple of days

Lonna
2008-03-18, 11:47 AM
Tano

"Mistress Herbswife, I do not believe there is any misunderstanding. The dwarf made his position perfectly clear the last time we spoke: he is unwilling to engage in an informed debate. I will NOT stay here any longer than absolutely necessary. I will continue to stand the double watches I have committed to, but the second we have sufficient transport, I am leaving this miserable rock," the elf said, visibly restraining his temper. The anger and frustration that welled up inside Tano surprised him, but he didn't want to take it out on Mara.

Mara Herbswife

Mara winced internally at Tano's evident anger, though she kept her face smooth. Ovias, my friend, it seems you really annoyed our elven companion.

"No one is making accusations here," answered Mara soothingly. "And the fact that you continue to watch on your shifts despite your differences with Ovias is admirable. I understand you are anxious to leave the island. I don't blame you. I would much rather be working under my master and teacher instead of struggling to remember lessons that will keep twenty-odd people alive and healthy despite the dangers of this island. I'm not asking you to change your mind about Ovias, merely that you listen to what I have to say."

Mara paused, waiting to see if her words had penetrated the elf's frustration.

storyteller
2008-03-18, 02:14 PM
With Janson's help, Feln succeeds in taming the fennec fox. The bird still hasn't hatched.

Feln Zekor

@Storyteller
You haven't said whether Feln succeeded on taming the fox...
Regardless, I've been tasked out again, so I may be fairly inactive for the next 2 weeks, just thought I'd mention it so we don't time-warp conversations later.

Weekly actions: Teach the fox the tricks "defend" and "fetch", take 10 if anyone will give him a hand (for 21 w/aid another).
Care for the egg.

jagadaishio
2008-03-18, 03:13 PM
Maria

Maria continues to assist Ovias in building his palisade and stuff. In her free time, she continues exploring off and on.

smartaleq
2008-03-18, 04:15 PM
Having spent weeks 3 and 4 putting up traps around the palisade/farm clearing. Gil will spend week 5 rigging ropes at the cliff face so that they can be used to lower or raise material. He'll need a bucket or similar from the stores, and will use his block and tackle and some rope.

Gil will also tend to the traps near the palisade, ensuring they all stay set and ready to warn of any incoming predators/natives.

TwoCents
2008-03-18, 10:33 PM
Roostin

Mara Herbswife

Mara continued to help Ovias with the construction of sturdy walls to shelter the group, and, anxious about disease catching hold if they remained exposed, tried to persuade anyone with idle hands to do the same. At some point during the week she approaches Roostin and Tano while they are taking a break from working on the ship.

"May I have a moment of your time, gentlemen? I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding between yourselves and Ovias, and I'd like to try to resolve it if I can."

Roostin stood up as Mara approached. He didn't seem surprised at Tano's outburst, but he remained even tempered, with his usual cheerful expression. "Misunderstanding, Miss Mara? Ah don't think so. Ovias knows whut he knows and wants whut he wants and you either agree with him or you're a dang idiot. Ah know lots of people like that. My Pa was like that, and you may have noticed Ah ain't living at home no more. Ain't no point in arguing 'bout it, and there ain't no point in getting all twisty about it neither. But Ah will set here a spell and listen to whut you have to say. Can Ah offer you a sip of this here tasty water? Carefully stored in an old oak barrel and with only a hint of sand for flavor." Roostin grinned as he offered Mara a dipper of water from the barrel stowed beside his work area.

lawful_evil
2008-03-19, 05:26 AM
Epswitch

While off working his chickens and keeping them safe, has a sudden feeling of happiness. With a smile, he resumes his work, humming a tune.

Daryk
2008-03-19, 05:58 AM
Tano

Taking a deep breath while Roostin spoke, Tano worked to get himself under control. In as calm a voice as he could muster, he said, "Mistress Herbswife, I would gladly hear what you have to say, though I may not agree with it. And I must warn you, Zavulon tried to mediate between us before, with no success."

Shademan
2008-03-19, 07:45 AM
zavulon will assist the building of the refugee.

Lonna
2008-03-19, 04:32 PM
Roostin

Roostin stood up as Mara approached. He didn't seem surprised at Tano's outburst, but he remained even tempered, with his usual cheerful expression. "Misunderstanding, Miss Mara? Ah don't think so. Ovias knows whut he knows and wants whut he wants and you either agree with him or you're a dang idiot. Ah know lots of people like that. My Pa was like that, and you may have noticed Ah ain't living at home no more. Ain't no point in arguing 'bout it, and there ain't no point in getting all twisty about it neither. But Ah will set here a spell and listen to whut you have to say. Can Ah offer you a sip of this here tasty water? Carefully stored in an old oak barrel and with only a hint of sand for flavor." Roostin grinned as he offered Mara a dipper of water from the barrel stowed beside his work area.

Mara Herbswife

Mara couldn't help grinning back as she accepted the dipper and took a mouthful of water. Handing it back, she dragged over a nearby piece of driftwood to use as a seat.

Tano

Taking a deep breath while Roostin spoke, Tano worked to get himself under control. In as calm a voice as he could muster, he said, "Mistress Herbswife, I would gladly hear what you have to say, though I may not agree with it. And I must warn you, Zavulon tried to mediate between us before, with no success."

"With all due respect to Zavulon, he has a bit of a temper himself, which did not help the situation. And Roostin's assessment of Ovias isn't far off," she admitted with a laugh, "but it left out the part where Ovias also expects folks to understand what he means behind his rough and often hasty words, as if we could all read minds. That's why I came down here. For whatever reason, Ovias can't or won't explain what exactly we are building and why we are building it instead of helping you two create boats that will hopefully get us off this 'miserable rock' as you put it. So I'm going to do so instead. I don't expect to change your minds about which project is the higher priority or about Ovias personally, I just want to make sure you understand the reasons behind Ovias' priorities.

"First of all, the palisades we are constructing are little more than sturdy wind breaks. The structure will have neither a solid roof nor a floor - hardly the kind of housing we would create if we expected to stay here for more than a few months at most. However, it will offer slightly more protection from the elements, and if most or all of us are sleeping inside four walls, it will be easier for me as a healer to prevent disease before it takes hold. That is the main reason that I personally decided to help with the construction - having the means to get off the island does us no good if illness wipes us all out first.

"The other reason for building the palisade first is also related to our survival here. Since arriving here we have seen evidence of others present here, and we don't know how friendly they are, though the inscriptions on the stone circle don't bode well, in my opinion. If we are attacked, be it by creatures of the night or by hostile natives, the palisades will provide an extra measure of protection.

"Once the palisade is completed, my intention is help you with your own project as much as I can. As I mentioned earlier, the sooner I'm no longer responsible for the health of the twenty-odd people, the more relieved I'll be. I imagine there are others who feel as I do, in that they want to make sure we have a safe place to sleep before working on a way to get off this island. At the very least, I'm sure there are people who could be persuaded to help you once they have fulfilled their committment to help Ovias.

"I won't deny that Ovias can be abrasive - he has mentioned to me that even among dwarves he is not considered the easiest person to get along with, and I too have had my fair share of arguments with him. However, I believe your goal and his may not be so different as you both think. You are all trying to help the group as a whole: Ovias by providing walls to protect us on the island, you by providing transport to get us off of the island. Personally, I think both goals will be better served if the rift between you is mended- or if not mended, at least patched for the time being."

Daryk
2008-03-19, 05:58 PM
Tano

Tano listened patiently and attentively to Mara. When she'd finished, he took another deep breath and said, "Thank you for explaining what you can. That the dwarf refrains from sharing what he knows with his friends is even more troubling, to my mind. While I appreciate that you see value in the palisade, I can see only wasted effort and wasted resources, so I devote my time and energy here. I'll leave the details of the boats to Master Roostin to discuss."

OOC: This would be a good place for Roostin to talk, but I want to get my whole post out at once.

"I agree wholeheartedly the stone circle bodes ill for us. I see our only safety in leaving quickly. I covered what tracks I could to the best of my ability, but with all the people who have tramped up the hill and back, I foresee it is only a matter of time before we are discovered. Less if we continue to burn fires during the daylight hours and wander incautiously. Every trail is an arrow pointed directly at our camp."

"As far as the dwarf personally, I think it best we continue to avoid one another. Master Roostin still seems to be able to engage him in civil conversation, but I have frankly given up. I was willing to seal the breach even up until Zavulon was driven off, but the dwarf's words then and after still make me seethe. I'm afraid neither elves nor dwarves are quick to forget a slight, and it's gone much further than that between us. I truly want nothing to do with him."

TwoCents
2008-03-21, 12:17 PM
Roostin

"I don't know whut you want, Miss Mara. I ain't going to fight the fella, but I ain't going to bow and scrape neither. I got whupped out of fighting over mean tempered words about the time you was learning to walk, but that don't mean I'm just gonna smile and ask for more neither. I will defend myself with words or with fists, but I ain't gonna start nothing. For you, Miss Mara, I will try to be peaceable and walk away. More'n that I cain't promise."

"Maybe there's a 'rift', but I don't see whut I can do at this point. Every time I've spoken to him he ends up insulting somebody. Life is too short, and I have better things to do than be Ovias' errand boy. If he needs people to clear brush, then he needs to ask somebody who isn't in the middle of framing a keel for the vessel that's going to get us out of here. If there's something that everybody needs to do together -- all hands on deck to put up a ridgepole, for example -- I will be there. I will help guard the stores or the infirmary as I agreed. Otherwise, I'm going to work over here and stay out of his way and I hope he will kindly do the same for me."

"As far as resources go, I will take my share as you and Imbrallius think is fair. If I have to, I will cut down my own wood. If'n I really have to, I will row over to the ship over there and pry boards out with my trusty crow, here. It won't be easy, but ain't never been nothing easy these twenty years; I ain't foolish enough to expect things to change."

"If'n Ovias wants to talk to me, I will listen to whut he has to say and do my best to not be sensitive. More than that, I cain't promise. I would suggest though, that he picks a time when my friend Tano ain't here, and he watches whut he says about my friend -- and my boat here -- if'n he hopes to have any sort of useful discussion."

Propped next to the keel was a small scrap of bark, with the words, "SS Ansie Lou" etched on with a bit of charred stick.

Lonna
2008-03-22, 11:29 AM
Mara Herbswife

Mara nodded, her expression neutral, when she heard the response to her explanation. She was saddened but not really surprised by their answers. Ovias had been stubborn and confrontational when dealing with them - their current attitude was an entirely reasonable reaction.

"As I said, I'm not asking you to change your opinions. I just wanted you to hear what is going on from a relatively nuetral third party. I hope that, if cooperation with Ovias becomes necessary in the future, you and he will be able to put aside your differences." Standing, she caught sight of the name propped next to the keel and smiled. "In the meantime, I look forward to helping you build the SS Ansie Lou once the palisade is complete."

Unless Tano or Roostin has something to add here, Mara nods at each of them, then casually turns and heads back toward the construction area.

Daryk
2008-03-22, 06:32 PM
Tano

"Thank you Mara. I appreciate your concern, and the time you've taken. The dwarf and I may be on speaking terms in a century or two, but in the mean time, you can rest assured if I see something that requires doing, I'll do my best," Tano replied.

storyteller
2008-03-23, 04:23 PM
Week 6

Weekly Challenge - Lizards of the Coast

Maria, who's been scouting and hunting farther from the camp than others, finds footprints of a large reptilian biped deep in the forest. On her way back to the camp, a 7 feet tall reptilian humanoid blocks her passage, threatening her with a huge spear. Its scales are dark green and its eyes are black and glossy. More of these lizard creatures are lurking in the forest, but they keep a respectable distance from Maria and the big lizard warrior.

The lizard eyes Maria for a long time, keeping the tip of its spear trained on her throat but making no move to attack. It says nothing, just stares at Maria, her weapons and other gear.

Having studied Maria for a while, it bares its teeth (it's hard to tell whether it's a smile or a scowl), lets out a loud hiss, then tosses a piece of bark at Maria's feet. After that, the lizards back off and run back to the forest.

On the piece of bark it's written in Common:

"Defilers of our holy place! Tribe Blackspear demands tribute! Give us five worthless members of your scaleless tribe by the time of full moon! Take them to the fire ring! Obey or face the wrath of Tribe Blackspear!"

OOC:

Those of you that know the phases of the moon well can tell that the next full moon will be in exactly seven days.

You have seven days, both IC and OOC, to figure out what to do. Will you choose 5 commoners to be given to the lizard creatures (chosen randomly or by voting)? Will you fight them (and where and how)? Parlay? Flee (where to)?

Good luck.

Note: No exploration on week 6.

jagadaishio
2008-03-23, 10:22 PM
Maria

When Maria arrived back and camps, she walks slowly, half-stumbling, sheet of bark dangling from one hand. She walks around until she finds Mara and/or Ovias and tosses the piece of bark at their feet. "Here," she says, a shocked expression on her face. "An armed band of lizardmen gave it to me at spearpoint."

With that, Maria walks off again with her stumbling gait and shocked facial expression. She looks around the sites of her tree, the water hole, the palisade construction, the potato farm, and the beach huts. She looks for the various members of the Writers' Guild, wanting to explain what's happened to them. She swears passionately in sylvan the entire time.

Lonna
2008-03-23, 11:33 PM
Mara Herbswife

Mara was at the construction site, taking a break, when Maria brought her the slip of bark. She was concerned by Maria's dazed expression and stumbling gait, but the huntress moved off too quickly for her to ask for more details. Picking up the bark, Mara read quickly, then blanched. For a stunned second she just stared at the writing, then she began to swear loudly and vehmently in Common, Dwarf, and Halfling. When her admittedly limited vocabulary ran out, she located Ovias, ignoring the shocked looks of those who were close enough to hear her uncharacteristic outburst, and handed him the bark.

"We're in trouble," she said flatly. "Lizardmen held Maria at spearpoint and gave her this. I need to find Maria and treat her for shock. If possible we all need to hear from her lips exactly what happened. Then we have to decide what to do about it. And by we, I mean all of us - everyone who survived the shipwreck. This concerns us all." Though Mara was still looking at Ovias as she spoke, she was mostly thinking out loud.

Turning on her heel, Mara retrieved something from the healer's kit, then followed the direction Maria had gone, a determined look on her face. Just before she left, anyone standing close would have heard her speak in a low, fierce tone. "I've worked too hard to keep everyone here alive. If we just hand over five of our people, it will be over my dead body."

Anyone who approached her as she searched for Maria was given a quick, blunt summary of the situation and asked to wait by the palisade construction site until everyone had gathered to discuss what should be done.

Daryk
2008-03-24, 05:51 AM
Tano

Tano just stared at Mara for a moment after she gave her blunt summary of the situation. His jaw worked, then he said, "Leave! W-we must leave..." The elf turned back to work on the boat as his voice trailed off into elvish muttering. Before taking a single stroke with the plane, though, he turned to Roostin and asked, "Master Roostin, we won't complete this vessel before the full moon, will we?"

smartaleq
2008-03-24, 09:50 AM
When Gil hears the news, he gives Maria a comforting hug. All was as he had expected, and Gil resented being found first instead of the other way around. Gil, for one, will allow no sacrifices. While hardly a military strategist, he does know traps- and we've found at least two places we could fortify. Gil will suggest to Ovias and Roostin that we move every bit of our possessions to the top of the hill, abandon the open fields, and prepare to defend a siege and survive off the animals, if needed. He suggests perhaps ambushing the lizardfolk with misdirection, leaving them off-balance when we attack.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-24, 01:24 PM
Mara Herbswife

"We're in trouble," she said flatly. "Lizardmen held Maria at spearpoint and gave her this. I need to find Maria and treat her for shock. If possible we all need to hear from her lips exactly what happened. Then we have to decide what to do about it. And by we, I mean all of us - everyone who survived the shipwreck. This concerns us all." Though Mara was still looking at Ovias as she spoke, she was mostly thinking out loud.

Turning on her heel, Mara retrieved something from the healer's kit, then followed the direction Maria had gone, a determined look on her face. Just before she left, anyone standing close would have heard her speak in a low, fierce tone. "I've worked too hard to keep everyone here alive. If we just hand over five of our people, it will be over my dead body."

Ovias picks up the piece of bark and reads it closely. He had been expecting something like this ever since they had found the first megalithic structure, and having heard of the second one had only made this even more predictable. The timing could have been worse, but that was about the only silver ore in the gang. Following Mara, he tells her, in dwarfish

<Truth be told, I was expecting this. We have now twice gone into sacred grounds of a primitive culture, indeed a warrior culture from what we could deduce from the first stone circle and their spear god. This is an insult, and they have responded with a challenge for domination. I'm grateful that they didn't charge outright>

Trotting to keep up with the determined woman, he continues, <Now we should determine what we should do. I will of course not stand to this blackmail. If we give them anyone, they will likely be sacrified in the big stone circle, given our luck so far. I'm sure some will suggest parlays, but I doubt they will be receptive. At this point, I see two possibilities, either we try and flee or we prepare to be attacked. Running is madness - we don't have food or water enough, no idea where we are or where we should head to, there is that ghost ship and its blasted fog going around the island not to mention that the boats are not big enough to carry us>

Considering their situation, he adds <Unfortunately, staying is hardly an improvement. The palisade will be finished easily by the next full moon, but that will hardly help in case we are put under siege. Our food reserves are extremelly limited, and we are not prepared to defend outselves against the onslaught of a full tribe. Even a few warriors will easily overpower our meager defences>

Lonna
2008-03-25, 10:55 AM

Trotting to keep up with the determined woman, he continues, <Now we should determine what we should do. I will of course not stand to this blackmail. If we give them anyone, they will likely be sacrified in the big stone circle, given our luck so far. I'm sure some will suggest parlays, but I doubt they will be receptive. At this point, I see two possibilities, either we try and flee or we prepare to be attacked. Running is madness - we don't have food or water enough, no idea where we are or where we should head to, there is that ghost ship and its blasted fog going around the island not to mention that the boats are not big enough to carry us>

Considering their situation, he adds <Unfortunately, staying is hardly an improvement. The palisade will be finished easily by the next full moon, but that will hardly help in case we are put under siege. Our food reserves are extremelly limited, and we are not prepared to defend outselves against the onslaught of a full tribe. Even a few warriors will easily overpower our meager defences>

OOC: I'm going to assume this came before I ran into Tano.

Mara Herbswife

Mara stopped, turned to look at Ovias, and replied in his own language. Her tone was flat and even and her face expressionless throughout, and as she spoke part of her noted that once she found Maria she would also have to treat herself for mild shock. <I know we have few options. I'm asking everyone I meet to gather by the palisade so we can discuss what must be done.

<Once we are gathered as a group, I must ask that you consider your words carefully before you speak, especially if you are addressing the elf, the halfling, or their friends. We cannot afford to have a repetition of our first meeting. If, while speaking to Tano or Roostin, you were to express your opinion on the possibility of fleeing as you just said it to me, it is likely that they would take offense and become difficult to work with. Especially because if the people who have been helping you with the palisade had been helping them instead, fleeing might well have been a possibility now.

<For now please stay by the palisade and show the bark to anyone who asks. I need to find Maria, so I can treat her - and myself - for shock.> Turning away from her friend, she continued toward the beach. Perhaps Maria was in the main camp, or near the ship Roostin and Tano were building.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-25, 05:23 PM
Mara Herbswife

<Especially because if the people who have been helping you with the palisade had been helping them instead, fleeing might well have been a possibility now.>

Before Mara could give one step away from Ovias, he held he in an iron-like grip by the arm, and spoke, <Is that what you think? Building a boat is not like putting a few roughly-cut timbers to the ground. You would have been of little help, not to mention that no ship capable of carrying the group can possibly be built in three weeks. But I see clearly that whenever things go wrong, all humans descend into irrationality and suddenly it is all the dwarf's fault> Ovias spit at her feet <Well, I have more than had it with irrationality and imbecility. I have tried to help, but clearly my help is undesired and now considered counterproductive. Well, then you can all burn in hell for all I care. The way things are going, I'd probably be "volunteered" to be handed to the lizards.>

With that, Ovias turns around, picks up his things and leaves the encampment.

Daryk
2008-03-25, 06:33 PM
Tano

As the group gathered around the partially constructed palisade, Tano noted the absence of Ovias. Shrugging to himself, he took a deep breath and cleared his throat. He wasn't much for public speaking, but the situation was desperate.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as Mara has no doubt told you, we are faced with a cruel choice. I for one will not countenance sacrificing any of our number to the lizardfolk. Now that I've discounted a course of action, I offer this: I think we should row around the island as I suggested last week. That should take at most a day or two, and give us an idea if there are any safer places on the island to camp. If we find such a place, I recommend we ferry all of our people and equipment by boat to avoid leaving a trail. I include in this the partially finished launch Master Roostin and I have been working on. Even if we find a safer place on the island, it will not remain so forever. Now that I've said my piece, does anyone have a better idea, or ways to improve on mine? We must have some kind of consensus if we're all going to survive past the full moon."

Zed's Dead
2008-03-25, 07:46 PM
Well, perhaps we should find out just how many of the lizard folk we're talking about. We are poorly armed, few in number, and relativly weak compared to them, but I believe we should know what we're up against.

I offer myself as an emmisary to the Lizard-folk camp. I speak a few languages, and perhaps I could make myself understood or even make friends with these savages.

I am obviously no fighter. They would not feel threatened by me, and honestly, I have only my life to lose. Many of you have scores of years left. And if I survived, wouldn't that be a fascinating story to tell?

Janson arches an eyebrow and pauses for a moment.

If I return, we'll know what we face. I'll have all the details we'll need to either attack or hamstring the lizard-folk. If I don't, you'll know with certainty that they cannot see reason.

Lonna
2008-03-26, 01:51 AM
Mara Herbswife

Ovias' angry words penetrated Mara's shock more quickly and effectively than any medicine. With that insulating buffer removed, she realized too late that her words must have sounded as if she were blaming Ovias. Seeing him spit at her feet, and hearing the words he said after that, Mara felt as if she had been slapped. She could only stare as he began to gather his things, and after an moment of agonizing hesitation, she continued on her way. For now alerting everyone to the situation was the more important task - she would just have to wait and approach Ovias afterward. Perhaps he would have cooled down by then, at least enough to listen.

{{OOC: Grey_Wolf_c, expect a PM later; Mara is going to track down Ovias after the meeting and before her watch.}}

At the meeting, Mara listened grimly to Tano and Janson's suggestions before she spoke. "I don't mean to shoot down ideas when I have none of my own to offer, but what about that ship and it's unnatural fog? We don't know what it is much less whether it would be dangerous to encounter it at sea.

"As for Master Himmerhardt's offer, while the idea of gathering intelligence on our reptilian neighbors is a good one, I am uncomfortable with sending just one person to face a tribe that has already threatened us."

Daryk
2008-03-27, 05:59 PM
Tano

Noting the general silence after Janson and Mara had their say, Tano nodded and replied, "While I'm not sure what ship Mistress Herbswife is referring to, I do think we have enough people to both send an embassy to the lizardfolk and row around the island. Agreed?"

OOC: I'm guessing Mara will say something about the "ghost ship" at this point, but I'd like to get my post out all at once, and I don't think her answer will change what Tano says next.

Tano waited for nods all around before continuing, "Now, while I'd rather take my chances rowing around the island, I think I may be the only one among us who speaks the lizards' tongue, and I agree that Master Janson shouldn't go alone. Unless we can dissuade Master Janson from parlaying with the lizardfolk, I will accompany him, though with great trepidation. In any case, I think Master Roostin is the only proper choice to direct the rowing mission, if he is agreeable. I think at least four, and preferably six should row around the island, and they should depart as soon as we are agreed. I won't ask for any more to risk life and limb speaking to the lizardfolk, but I can't say I don't hope others would care to join Master Janson and I."

sickler
2008-03-27, 06:47 PM

"As much as I'd like to send off an old man and a skinny elf to a savage tribe of lizardguys demanding sacrafices from us, I'm gonna have to say I'm going to." Ben stated, stepping forward. Adding with a grin, "We've got to show those reptiles we're not a bunch of sissies at least."

lawful_evil
2008-03-27, 07:05 PM
Epswitch

Spending all his time with his chickens and their little offspring, Epswitch doesn't find out about this Lizard fiasco until late in the week. During one of his infrequent walks around the big people camp, he mentions to Gil, "Any idea when we are going to meet the Lizard people. If they claim to be the owners of that sweet hilltop structure, it is only right that I be one of the chosen 5 members to go negotiate with them for rights to it."

Ah.. good old, Gil, he never give me any lip. Too bad he doesn't often answer my questions though.

Shademan
2008-03-28, 03:40 AM
"y'know... that forge begins to seem more necesesary than even I had hoped..." Zavulon sighs deeply, then with grim humor he laughs "hope they dont eat orcs!" his smile quickly fades though "on a more serious note; we cannot give anyone to them, thats just wrong. and we cannot fight them, we dont have enough weapons,fortifications or anything." he thinks for a while "maybe we can offer something else? we could tribute them food instead? or knowledge or maybe better weapons or armour? Now i dont REALLY want to give them better equipment if theyre gonna eat us or anything..." Zavulon scratches his jaw. "oh, and i figure that if were gonna try negotiating i wanna be with the group. in a fight i could maybe take one down before they ate my head. and maybe they have never seen orcs before?"

storyteller
2008-03-29, 03:42 PM
Alright, I'm going make an exception to the "one week IC = one week IRL" rule. Week 6 continues for another week, and you have two new quests.

Rowboat exploration (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4120567#post4120567)

Meeting with the lizardfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4120558#post4120558)

Zombie pixe
2008-03-31, 05:19 AM
((ok im back, follow the link in my sig to find out why. i am sorry, anyway, im kind of stretched on time, so if someone could PM me and just fill me in on the major events?))

Eric continues his farming.

lawful_evil
2008-03-31, 08:08 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch looks around at all the chickens and wonder how he'll ever get them all moved when the time comes. Even if the scaly-folk won't sell us the hilltop structure, the location down by the river is much better. Perhaps the area near where the river empties into the ocean. I've heard those areas have fertile land and abundant aquatic life.

Epswitch spends a day making sure all the chickens are doing fine. Oh, how the little ones grow up fast.

storyteller
2008-04-04, 09:02 AM
It looks like there are too few players left who are willing to do something about the lizardfolk threat... therefore, I'll have to end this campaign prematurely.

What happened to the commoners, then? Well, presumably some were killed by the lizardfolk, some were captured and sacrificed in the stone circle atop the hill. Some of them met Bal-Ze-Bal the Blackspear in person and died horribly :smallwink:

Some of them remained in hiding and survived, at least for the time being. Some of them went to find out about the mysterious people rowing in the misty bay, maybe found their secret cave hideout and heard their tragic story.

A few made it back to Bluehaven alive. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks for participating! I'll see you here at the forum. Also, if you have any openings for PCs in your PbP D&D games, I might be interested. Happy gaming! :smallsmile:

Shademan
2008-04-04, 09:17 AM
wow... that was a ... rather fast end.
now i can only wonder what happened to Zavulon...

lawful_evil
2008-04-04, 11:45 AM
Got to be optimistic... Zavulon and Epswitch wandered off to find the lizardfolk to negotiate a treaty only to find their encampment empty(because they were off attacking the humans). Stealing food and maps, Zavulon and Epswitch made their way north well out of Lizardfolk country to a land of pre-fab buildings and magic devices which produce food and water for you. There, they relaxed and soon enough fell in love.

:smallfurious:

Okay... well, buh bye, y'all.

Shademan
2008-04-04, 12:35 PM
MORE LIKELY: they met the lizards. espwitch was kept as a pet because of his funny size. They were not sure what Zavulon WAS. someone mumbled "a gremlin..." before they went home to watch Miami vice.

jagadaishio
2008-04-04, 04:27 PM
You know, the reason that everyone has been missing may be that for most people it's spring break right now. Let's hold off on ending the game until next week, just to see how many of our players come back.