PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecked! IC Thread



Pages : [1] 2

storyteller
2008-02-17, 02:32 PM
That fateful night there was a fire in the cargo hold. Black smoke came pouring out from the hold and spread to the lower deck and main deck. Two or three crew members went belowdecks to suppress the fire but none returned. The captain was nowhere to be seen.

The fire grew rapidly out of control and panic ensued. The ship started to sink and while the flames were quickly extinguished by the water rushing in, it was too late to save the ship.

The first mate ordered an evacuation. One of the passengers, a keen-eyed elf, had spotted dry land nearby and the two life boats of the ship were quickly filled. The rest of them had to swim.

Out of the 50 passengers and crew members, less than thirty made it ashore safely.

In the morning, the beach on which the survivors had camped was a sad sight. Some bodies had washed ashore, a gruesome reminder of the shipwreck. People, animals and equipment lay on the beach, some people crying, some sleeping, some talking, while others remained silent, shocked by the recent events.

---

WEEK 1 - WEEKLY CHALLENGE: SURVIVORS

Task 1: Roll call. Every player should post at least once within the next 7 days - if you fail to do this, your character will be declared dead (see also Task 2). Describe how your character is doing - is s/he shocked, afraid, angry... write some dialog if you want to talk with the other characters.
Task 2: Bury the dead. Discuss what to do with the bodies and their equipment.
Task 3: Manage the resources. Discuss how you're going to feed yourselves during the first week. Everyone needs 7 rations or equivalent to avoid hunger. You may start taking resource actions, e.g. use Survival to find food and water. Choose at least one player responsible for managing the resources - in other words reporting every week how much has been spent, how much has been gained, and what's the total for each resource.)


OPTIONAL QUEST - THE SUNKEN SHIP

It is possible to salvage some equipment that was left behind when the ship sunk.

Max 6 characters. For characters who can swim well. The quest is played here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3950820#post3950820).

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 03:35 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias looked around to the faces of those that had survived the fire. He scanned the faces for that of her new friend Mara, the one person he hoped had survived. In the madness of the fire, he had lost track of her. He couldn't see her, but with so many Talls, he had trouble telling them apart.

Ovias felt resigned. He had been hoping for a predictable construction project, two or three years and then going back home, but that was not going to happen. Oh well, he thought, a dwarf doesn't complain about the cave in, he props the beams and looks for another way in. It was a new day, he was alive, and there was plenty to do, which would keep him busy and his mind away from the tragedy. First thing would have to be health issues. Those bodies in the beach would have to be disposed of, a clean water source located and a safer place to sleep than an open beach found.

He got up to his feet and walked to the rest of the surviving people. "Good morrning! We arre in a dangerrous situation, everryone. Will someone help me burry those that did not make it? Orr at least lend me a shovel?"

Daryk
2008-02-17, 03:38 PM
Tano

Having been placed in the lead boat by virtue of having spotted the island, Tano had at least stayed drier than those that had to swim, but the surf had still soaked him from the waist down. Now, higher on the beach, the salt was beginning to chafe as he dried out. The shock of the fire hadn't fully registered yet, though finding the remnants of his bundle of bow staves had nearly moved him to tears. The canvas the bundle had been wrapped in was scorched but serviceable. Of the bundle, though, only a single short bow staff remained, a bit of sap adhering it to the canvas. The rest of his carefully harvested staves were scattered who knew where. At least he had his pack, with the rest of his livelihood: his tools, arrow shafts, heads and fletchings, and two bow strings.
As he was staring out to sea over the life boats, a gentle breeze brought a waft of death to his nostrils. Turning into the wind, he looked up the beach and saw two lifeless bodies being picked over by a flock of seagulls. Though they weren't his people, Tano couldn't bear to see their bodies desecrated so. Standing, he ran over to the pair, flapping his arms and shouting to scare off the scavengers. He then proceeded to drag the bodies up the beach, under the shelter of the trees.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 03:44 PM
Zavulon

Zavulon checked his sack one last time. he had what he needed.
The dwarf spoke of burying the dead and so he spoke, with his deep somewhat growling voice "we should burn them. We shouldnt waste our breath on digging, and scavenging animals might come to eat the bodies if theyre arnt digged deep." He looked straight at the dwarf with a nonchalant expression. "after we've checked them fer useful items"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 03:54 PM
Zavulon
we should burn them. We shouldnt waste our breath on digging, and scavenging animals might come to eat the bodies if theyre arnt digged deep." He looked straight at the dwarf with a nonchalant expression. "after we've checked them fer useful items"

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias looked up at the Tall addresing him. He could now tell he was not a full blood orc, but from his words he could tell he had more orc than human in his head. "You'd rratherr waste yourr brreath by cutting down trrees? Also, these arre humans, forr the most parrt. They do not burrn theirr dead, and I cannot think of a worrst way to starrt this situation than by offending the alive. Theirr morrale is going to be weak enough as it is."

He then considered the second part of his declaration. It went against his dwarven upbringing to take from the dead, but a dwarf is nothing if not practical. "I do admit that we should save theirr posesions forr the living, as dishonourrable as that is. We need to salvage everrything we can, if we arre to surrvive. But it should be done rrespectfully of those who once owned them". He unconsciously adopted the wide legged stance of the unmovable dwarf, as if ready to stop the half-orc from running to the bodies

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:01 PM
Zavulon


Zavulon grinned "never said anything about choppin' down trees. just gatherin' some large dried sticks to help start the fire."
He then shrugged "do with the dead as you want. they're fairly useless in this state anyways..." The dwarf steadied himself. stubborn little hairball, like the rest of specie, still Zavulon had respect for them. Finest smiths around, practical and sensible as well. but to proud and caring about trivial stuff like honour.
"but if yeh insist on burying them... i could lend a hand..."
great... youre going soft.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:10 PM
Seeing the half-orc back off from the confrontation, Ovias relaxed. Looking around, he saw someone pulling away bodies from the beach toward the trees. Confused, he could not figure out why the need to move them until he saw the birds perching on other bodies. He ran towards them, frighting them off (although they would be back) and, taking two more bodies under his arms, followed the stranger. It would be easier to build a single mass grave, anyway.

While he was taking the bodies, Ovias took the chance to look around. He was particularly interested in the stone to be found, for he would be needing materials soon. He already had a couple of ideas of how to improve their chances, ideas that would make good use of his stonemason hammer.

*Actions: take a look around, (take 10) spot (+0) for anything of interest, appraise (+4) for rocks/stone Ovias can work*

Daryk
2008-02-17, 04:18 PM
Tano

Sweating profusely as he dragged the second heavy body up the beach, Tano noticed a dwarf bearing two more coming his way. The burden didn't seem to weigh heavily on his broad shoulders, though his pace was the steady plodding of all dwarves. As the bearded stranger approached, Tano straightened, wiped the sweat from his brow, and said, "Thank you, sir dwarf. Two alone were beginning to take a toll on me. I think we'll need to bury them soon, or the cursed gulls will have a feast."

Zombie pixe
2008-02-17, 04:19 PM
ok, i volenteer to lead the salvage party.

*buldges muscles, then goes and checks on his distilery*

*mutters to self*i wonder if there is any good farming land on this island...?

Profession(farmer) Check to see whether there is any good farming land near? [roll0]

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:20 PM
Zavulon

great, corpse carrying. Zavulon left his sack and newly salvaged spear next to a rock. He followed the dwarf and picked up two bodies, not minding the birds, and went to dump them with the other dead.

strength check to see if i can lift two bodies(?) 1D20+1= 16

>"your name dwarf. Might i ask what you call yerself?"< Zavulon asked in dwarven.

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 04:24 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

When Epswitch finally awakens the next morning, face down in the dirt, he doesn't even realize something bad has happened. Not until he gets up and looks around, "What the? This isn't..."

Suddenly the ship, the wreck, the fire, it all comes flashing back to him. With a howl, the pale speckled halfling calls upon his god, "Saint Cuthbert! Revenge will be mine! Oh yes!"

The halfling stands and darts about looking for that captain. After a few minutes he begins to see that the ship went down, and if tradition held true, the captain with it.

Eventually Epswitch notices his chickens roaming free. He pulls his shipping manifest from his breast pocket and begins to gather all he can from his belongings into a pile up the beach, away from the tides. As he works be begins to see the problem the crew will face. All these humans... they eat so much.

As he works, he sees several people eyeing the bodies. He approaches and says, "We should haul strip them down and haul them a few hundred yards away. When animals come to feast on the rotting remains, we can have a hunting party kill the beasts. Food."

The halfling looks at the big men and says, "I'm to small to be of much use hauling them off... Good luck." With that he bends over an picks up two sand covered candles. After checking the stamp on the bottom, he puts one back down and walks off with the other one.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:34 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Only when spoken in the strange voice tones did Ovias realise that the Tall one was actually an elf, and not a female human as he first had assumed. Oh well, if he could talk to a half-orc, he could talk to an elf

"You arre welcome, mister elf. Not the most pleasant of tasks, but one that needs doing." Seeing that the half-orc had decided to help, and watching the elf winded after a single trip, he continued, "You seem unsuited for this task. Do you think you could trry and find spades to dig the grrave, and possibly keep the birrds away why we drrag the rrest of the bodies herre? Also, I met aboarrd the ship a prromising human healerr, Marra by name. She might be the best suited to check the bodies, and we should ask about any last rrites we should be prreparring. Janson Himmerrharrdt, the village elderr, would be my firrst choice. Would you check forr me if they surrvived? Thank you"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:38 PM
Zavulon
>"your name dwarf. Might i ask what you call yerself?"< Zavulon asked in dwarven.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Surprised at what was strangely accented dwarfish, he turned to regard the half-orc.

<I am known as Ovias Greybeard. You may call me> "Grey", he answered, <And how may I address you?> He answered in the traditional formal answer.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:42 PM
Zavulon

Zavulon nodded. "Grey it is." he smiled grimly "then we have something in common. My name is Zavulon Grεbein. the latter meaning 'greybone'."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:50 PM
Zavulon

Zavulon nodded. "Grey it is." he smiled grimly "then we have something in common. My name is Zavulon Grεbein. the latter meaning 'greybone'."

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"I will rrememberr, Zavulon Grrabein," Ovias said while starting towards the beach for new bodies, "and we have something else in common. I see from your tools you arre a crrafterr, like I am"

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 04:53 PM
Roostin

Roostin was tired, but he'd been tired before. There were chores to be done, and orders to be given. First, he searched for the first mate and the navigator, hope slowly dwindling as he could find no one else from the ship's company on the beach.

Suddenly, he heard some talk that turned his stomach. "You will NOT be using mah friends as bait, or Ah will give you whut for! We'll clean them up proper, wrap 'em up and bury 'em proper. Ah'd ruther put them back in the sea, but ah don't think we can 'ford the strength. Turning to one of the others wandering around, Roostin called out, "You there, grab this one's feet and we'll line em up over here."

As he dragged each body to the line and laid it out, Roostin went to it, and with the phrase, "May the gods keep you safe from storms and sea. I thank you, friend, for the gifts you give us," he quickly and efficiently stripped each body of everything except a layer of clothing, but taking any shoes or boots. He piled the belongings at the bare feet of each respective corpse, closed the eyes if they were open, and moved on to another. He had prepared many a friend for burial at sea, and he had learned to just concentrate on the task at hand.

OOC: Unless there is another sailor on the crew, Roostin will take charge of the salvage operation, with the words, "Ah know more 'bout how the inside of a ship looks in the dark and wet than any y'all, so don't be silly."

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:54 PM
Zavulon

"oh yes. I am a smith. Father taught me much about the makings of arms and armour." Zavulon eagerly told " bending metal is what i do best. You are not a smith yerself are you?"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 05:12 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"No, I am a stonemason. But all dwarrfs crraftsmen arre taught the way of the forrge, so I have worrked it at times durring my trraining" With those words, Ovias reached the beach, where a man in sailor clothing was arranging the bodies. Ovias addressed him, "Excuse me, neighbourr, but we arre moving the bodies away frrom the beach and the birrds. Would you carre to help us? You seem to know the way to trreat them, in ways I do not"

Daryk
2008-02-17, 05:16 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman
...
"You arre welcome, mister elf. Not the most pleasant of tasks, but one that needs doing." Seeing that the half-orc had decided to help, and watching the elf winded after a single trip, he continued, "You seem unsuited for this task. Do you think you could trry and find spades to dig the grrave, and possibly keep the birrds away why we drrag the rrest of the bodies herre? Also, I met aboarrd the ship a prromising human healerr, Marra by name. She might be the best suited to check the bodies, and we should ask about any last rrites we should be prreparring. Janson Himmerrharrdt, the village elderr, would be my firrst choice. Would you check forr me if they surrvived? Thank you"

Tano

"Spades and people I can find, but not while keeping the birds off, I'm afraid. If that halfling hadn't wandered away, I would think him excellently suited to the task, given his interest in things that would eat our dead. If I stay here and keep the gulls off, I may be able to pick your friends out of the crowd at the same time. And once we find your friends, we can work on the shovels, yes?" Tano said.

Tano takes 10 (for a total of 16) on a spot check, looking for a "village elder" (Janson). I dare say if he's on the beach, Tano can see him.

Scanning the beach for a moment, Tano points at an elderly human and says, "Is that your friend Mr. Himmerhardt? I'm afraid I can't guess what Mara looks like..."

Lonna
2008-02-17, 05:18 PM
Mara Herbswife


Mara woke slowly, and for a moment she wasn't sure where she was. Did I fall out of my hammock? It wouldn't be the first time, but why is the planking so uneven? And why is there sand on it? Wait... sand? The shipwreck!

Mara sat up suddenly, her memories of the night before flooding back. As one of the few women on board, she had been among the first ushered into the lifeboats, but she had been in too much shock to do more than grab her backpack and beltpouch before climbing in. When they had reached land, her rational mind was too far gone to react, so animal instincts took over, and she had run for the trees purely because they seemed to offer more shelter. Now Mara took a few shuddering breaths to calm herself. All she could do now was help the survivors. She would mourn those lost later, in private.

Standing, Mara hefted her backpack onto her shoulders and emerged from the trees. Looking around, she could see that while many were still milling around aimlessly, a group nearby had begun the task of gathering the dead. While an elf kept birds off the bodies on the beach, a human - probably a sailor, by his clothing - stripped corpses near the trees of anything useful. Ferrying human remains between the two locations were two figures, one tall, the other stout. The taller seemed to be the half-orc Mara had noticed wandering on deck sometimes. The smaller seemed to be...

<Ovias?> Mara's voice was a whisper. With the chaos and her own shock last night, she had lost track of him. Since Dwarves lived underground, she thought it unlikely that he would be able to swim ashore. Then the figure in turned slightly, apparently speaking to the half-orc, and she caught sight of his grey beard.

<Ovias!> With a shout, Mara began to run toward her friend. Part of her mind remarked critically that she was hysterical, and that she would be of more use organizing the milling crowd. The rest of Mara ignored that fact and simply urged her legs to move faster.

***************************

Character Sheets/[Player]/(Profession):

Zavulon Grεbein (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3044) [Shademan] (Blacksmith)
Roostin Truckleman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8613) [TwoCents] (Sailor/Carpenter)
Mara Herbswife (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=40328) [Lonna] (Healer)
Ovias Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) [Grey Wolf] (Stonemason)
Tano Curunda (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8594) [Daryk] (Bowyer/Fletcher)
Joseph Bridgeman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8582) [Yeril] (Hunter)
Maria Vallen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41913) [Jagadaishio] (Hunter)
Gil Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058) [Smartaleq] (Netmaker)
Ray Zhang (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41780) [Rayzin] (Cook)
Larry the Hairy (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8591) (Farmer)
Brady Turner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41746) [Imbasel] (Miner)
Elias Fisher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984) [Fisher] (Courier)
Imbrallius (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3069) [Sicarius] (Clerk)
Feln Zekor [journeyman] (Animal Trainer)
Janson Himmerhardt (http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7615) [zed's dead] (Author)
Epswitch Shortoe (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115) [Lawful_Evil] (Chimney Sweep)
Eric the Brewer (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8881) [Zombie pixe] (Farmer)
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882) [sickler] (Brawler)

****************

[B]Total:
2 Hunters
2 Farmers
1 Carpenter
1 Netmaker
1 Blacksmith
1 Stonemason
1 Healer
1 Bowyer/Fletcher
1 Cook
1 Miner
1 Brawler
1 Courier
1 Clerk
1 Animal Trainer
1 Author
1 Chimney Sweep

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 05:27 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias had just finished talking to the sailor when he heard his dwarven named being shouted somewhere from the human group. Turning, he was releived to see Mara alive and well, running towards him. Walking towards her, he exclaimed <Mara! So good to see you walking. I was worried about you after we got separated. It makes me happy to see you are well>

Shademan
2008-02-17, 05:28 PM
"right, il just... move more bodies." Zavulon left the dwarf and human to themselves. Need to check that the other is alive they do. Back to moving bodies then...

Lonna
2008-02-17, 05:42 PM
Mara Herbswife


As Ovias came towards her, Mara tried to halt her wild charge, only to slip in the sand and tumble forward. Not entirely by accident, her outstretched arms wrapped around the dwarf, and when she had regained her balance she gave him a quick hug before straightening.

<Ovias, thank the gods. I was afraid you had drowned.> she said. She was smiling, tears of relief streaming down her face. This time when the analytical part of her mind commented that she was hysterical, Mara listened. Taking several deep breaths to get herself under control, she wiped her eyes and spoke again, this time with a note of iron self-control in her voice. "I'm sorry, I was hysterical. I should be fine now."

borninbones
2008-02-17, 05:42 PM
The human farmer slowly picks himself up off of the ground. "Well that wasnt good." He sets about to gather together the animals he saved and any others that happen to be wondering around.

He gets down and picks up a handful of dirt [roll0] whats the land like, is it good for farming?

resource action for this week for my character. Survival taking a ten 10+4= 14.

And if you want, I can (but don't necessarily want to) take care of resource count.

storyteller
2008-02-17, 05:44 PM
OOC:

The island looks a bit like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Island_near_Fiji.jpg/800px-Island_near_Fiji.jpg), just a lot bigger and not tropical but sub-tropical or warm-temperate (like an island in the Mediterranean). A sandy beach surrounds the forest in the middle, at least as far as you can see from the campsite.

There are some loose rocks around that look workable.

The island doesn't look like ideal farmland: nothing will grow on the beach and you'd have to clear the trees δnd till the land to gain access to the better soil.

No need to make a Str check for Zavulon. No checks needed for digging the graves either.

sickler
2008-02-17, 05:49 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882) - Human Brawler

Ben had been well rested before the fire broke out so after the swim to shore, he found he wasn't all that exausted and had spent the entire night simply standing and watching as the vessel few burning remains of the ship were extinguished by the waves. Once this distraction was gone however, his mind finally reminded him that it wasn't all his sleep that allowed him to be restless, but rather the amount of adrenaline rushing through his body. Crawling up to the top of the beachline, he had collapsed and embraced the comfort of sleep once again.

Waking up to the commotion of the other survivors just a few hundred yards up the beach, Ben leapt to his feet and approached him. Stopping to observe a while, he could see a couple of figures moving bodies to a line where a man slowly moved up the line, rummaging over the corpses. Ben walked up to this person, dropped down his sack and watched as a half-orc dragged another limp body to the end of the line.

"What's goin' on here?", were the only words Ben could find to ask.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 05:55 PM
"boat crashed. many died. we're stranded."
Zavulon told the human. harsh and simple. "now help me with these bodies, will yeh?"

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 05:55 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

Stopping when the main complains, Epswitch turns around. The bald halfling looks up at the man who so objected to using the bodies as bait. Yes.. Roostin The halfling scowls, giving him the appearance of a demon possessed doll and says, "It would seem you are ranking member of the crew. As such, I'd like to submit an official complaint and request a refund. Clearly we did not arrive at our destination, so if you'd please." The halfling stands up straight to his full intimidating height(2'10") and holds out his hand, expecting cash.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 05:58 PM
Mara Herbswife


As Ovias came towards her, Mara tried to halt her wild charge, only to slip in the sand and tumble forward. Not entirely by accident, her outstretched arms wrapped around the dwarf, and when she had regained her balance she gave him a quick hug before straightening.

<Ovias, thank the gods. I was afraid you had drowned.> she said. She was smiling, tears of relief streaming down her face. This time when the analytical part of her mind commented that she was hysterical, Mara listened. Taking several deep breaths to get herself under control, she wiped her eyes and spoke again, this time with a note of iron self-control in her voice. "I'm sorry, I was hysterical. I should be fine now."

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Mara had once again managed to surprise Ovias, both by the brief hug (which as alien as it was to the dwarf, had felt strangely well) and by her self-control and quick recovery. It was clear that humans would take a while to get used to. Of course, being trapped in some Moradin-forsaken place would really help that, he admitted to himself ruefully. Patting Mara in her back, Ovias remarked: "Think nothing of it, frriend Mara. It is underrstandable, given the cirrcunstances"

Ovias made sure to pronounce her name properly, even if everything else came out accented. He was fairly certain he would have a chance to improve his human in the weeks that would follow, though. "Come on, I'm surre we will be able to use yourr help. I need you to check for life signs in some of these people. We will have to burry them soon, least they brring sickness to the living, but some may be possible to save"

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 06:00 PM
Roostin, Carpenter's Mate

"Eh? Oh, yeah. Ah've had to bury a friend or two 'fore now. Ah don't know what your lubber churches would do, but I s'pose the old feller might know. Fer now, Ah think we just need to get 'em laid out straight. Ah'm gonna get some canvas to cover 'em; that might keep these dang gulls off 'em. Dang gulls give me the creeps, but it's better than a dang albatross. A man should get 'et by the fishes, not dang birds."

Roostin collected a piece of sailcloth to cover the bodies, weighting down the end with pieces of driftwood to keep the pesky birds away.

"Anyway, then once all y'all colonists say whutever words you want, Ah'l consign the souls of mah brethren and then we'll bury 'em. Ah wish ah could take the crew out to the bay but ah think that jest ain't a good idea. Dang it, but this jest is the worst shore party ah ever been on, and ah been to some pretty bad places."

He kept working, keeping an eye out for anybody getting out of control and waiting to see who would show up to salvage the ship.

Lonna
2008-02-17, 06:27 PM
"Come on, I'm surre we will be able to use yourr help. I need you to check forr life signs in some of these people. We will have to burry them soon, lest they brring sickness to the living, but some may be possible to save"

Mara Herbswife


"Yes, of course." Mara snaped into healer mode, shoving the hysterics further back. There would be time to break down later. As she followed Ovias she noticed two newcomers by the bodies the sailor was searching. One seemed to be in a state of mild shock, the other appeared to be demanding something from the sailor. In a crisis, people who are working are too busy to panic. The advice, given by her teacher while caring for those wounded in a nasty building collapse, ran through her mind.

"Ovias, I'll be back in a moment." Trotting up the beach, she dropped her backpack next to the pile of items salvaged from the corpses.

"Would you keep an eye on this for me, sailor? Thanks." Without waiting for a response she turned to the other two - an angry, dirty-looking halfling and a well muscled human.

"You two, come with me. I'm a healer, and you are going to help me check for survivors." Then she turned and trotted back toward the prone figures on the beach, not looking to see if they followed. She only prayed silently that her teacher had been correct, and that anyone who acted like they were in charge in a time of crisis would be treated like they were in charge.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 06:36 PM
resource: survival: take ten.

sickler
2008-02-17, 06:38 PM
Too many people were talking at once for Ben, but the young woman who had just approached had given him a fairly simple request. "Watch my things too." Ben stated to the sailor as he moved his sack over beside the other things. Remembering the mentions of burial, he pulled out his shovel from the sack and set it at the end of the line of bodies. "And you can use this for the dead."

Turning to follow the woman, he saw she was already a distance ahead of him. Check for survivors., Ben repeated as he began to jog down onto the beach.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 06:53 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Watching Mara find a focus of her own, Ovias remembered that he, too, should be working. It seemed that the sailor had managed to get hold of two spades, so taking one, he looked for a good place in which to dig, away from the sea and beyond the high tide line, where he could start the mass grave. He made sure he kept Mara in sight, in case she needed him, and felt into the work mantra that had helped him in the mines.

He was also planning on getting some food. He checked, and his pouch had remained safely closed, so his tools were safe, and amongst them his fishing gear. He would be needing a new fishing rod, eventually (his old one had remained in the ship, on his bunk, no time to pick it up during evacuation), but in the meantime the line and hook would do to catch enough fish to feed himself, and hopefully Mara as well.

*actions: finish digging the grave (hopefuly with some help), then resources against survival (take 10) +2 (survival fishing)*

Yeril
2008-02-17, 06:56 PM
Joseph, upon hearing of the fire quickly ran back to his locker to retreive his possesions before heading off the ship, His travel bag, his trusty hunting crossbow, an old weathered spear, and his longcoat. He dived into the water after the lifeboats, a bold and fruitless move as he was ravaged by the waves and almost passed out and drown.

Half exhausted, half dead he crawled up onto the beach.
"Damn.. Damn..." his groans as he lifts himself to his feat, giving a casual glance back at the burning ship, and towards the other survivors.

"Damn! I don't beleive it, shipwrecked! On some god-forsaken island no doubt, and to top it I lost me bloody crossbow!" he swears and kicks the sand, spluttering up some seawater with a wheezy cough.

Grazing over the other survivors once more he headed towards the dwarf, He seemed to radiate leadership, the others almost gravitated to him and the young girl, so he might as well do the same.

"'Ovais was it?" he nods at the dwarf. "Eer, what can I do to help?" he asks with mild uncertinty.

jagadaishio
2008-02-17, 07:00 PM
Maria

Maria strode unhesitatingly up to the gray-bearded dwarf apparently orchestrating the processing of the corpses which washed ashore. Tapping him on the shoulder, she quickly advised, "If you're going to bury the bodies, either bury them deep or have a hunter watch the burial site. Animals will dig for them, we may as well use that as a resource."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 07:05 PM
"'Ovais was it?" he nods at the dwarf. "Eer, what can I do to help?" he asks with mild uncertinty.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Good morrning, neighbourr. Please, call me Grrey - everryone does.", Ovias answered, and continued, "I'm afraid I do not rrecall yourr name. If you want to help, therre is plenty to do, depending on wherre yourr strrengths lie. Rright now my prriorrities arre to attend the dead and the living, by digging a grrave and then prroviding food forr lunch. Once ourr strrength and morrale is back, we should look forr a good place forr a perrmanent camp, but morre than likely that will have to wait a day orr two. You may also want to help my frriend Mara, although she seems to have alrready commandeered all the help she needs", Ovias ended with a smile that, as usual, only fully deployed on the left side of his face.

Not a moment after he had finished saying this, another human tapped him in the shoulder and said:

Maria

Maria strode unhesitatingly up to the gray-bearded dwarf apparently orchestrating the processing of the corpses which washed ashore. Tapping him on the shoulder, she quickly advised, "If you're going to bury the bodies, either bury them deep or have a hunter watch the burial site. Animals will dig for them, we may as well use that as a resource."

With a hard look, he answered, "A dwarrf always digs deep. But if you'rre uncerrtain of my ability, may I rrecommend you help me?"

Yeril
2008-02-17, 07:22 PM
"Joseph, and my strengths lie in getting lunch." He pauses. "Although, I lost my hunting crossbow to the sea, I've got my spear but Im not that good with it. Besides its unfamiliar land and forests which I would not be confident braving alone, If you know some others who can hunt, then I would gladly go with them."

He nods, his mouth is open for a moment, as if he has more to say, but he nods once more as he decides he has covered all to be said.

Ooc: Heres alittle Drawing of Joseph, although he doesnt have his crossbow on the island.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/Joseph.png

Daryk
2008-02-17, 07:39 PM
Tano

When Roostin brought the sailcloth over to keep the gulls away from the bodies, Tano helped him weight down the edges. As more bodies were brought up, Tano gently folded the heavy cloth back to place the additional dead under cover. Finding this to be a somewhat full time job, he kept at it until all the dead had been gathered.

jagadaishio
2008-02-17, 07:40 PM
[B]With a hard look, he answered, "A dwarrf always digs deep. But if you'rre uncerrtain of my ability, may I rrecommend you help me?"

"I was only suggesting that I guard the burial site until no more animals come. If you need some help, I would be happy to look for a proper burial site inland when I explore. Sand is a poor place to bury anything you want to stay buried," Maria explained, gaze unwavering and almost slightly bored. "Would that help?"

TwoCents
2008-02-17, 07:59 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

Stopping when the main complains, Epswitch turns around. The bald halfling looks up at the man who so objected to using the bodies as bait. Yes.. Roostin The halfling scowls, giving him the appearance of a demon possessed doll and says, "It would seem you are ranking member of the crew. As such, I'd like to submit an official complaint and request a refund. Clearly we did not arrive at our destination, so if you'd please." The halfling stands up straight to his full intimidating height(2'10") and holds out his hand, expecting cash.

Roostin looked at him for a moment and then laughed. A full, hearty, haven't laughed in a long time belly-aching, side-splitting, sand-rolling, laugh. "Sorry, sorry," he gasped, over and over, desperately trying to gain control of himself. Finally dragging himself back from the edge of hysteria, Roostin sat in the sand and grinned at Epswitch. "They got ya good, huh? Did ya read the dang thing? It don't say nowhere thet you're actually promised a dang thing 'cept a ride on a ship. Nope, 'tween 'unforseen weather conditions', 'interference by agents of governments or private companies known or unknown', 'unexpected delays' and my favorite, 'unanticipated problems', they ain't promised to actually get you nowhere, nohow, nowhen. Now, if'n you want to complain to whoever convinced you to go to this here colony you was trying to get to, they might give a dang. 'Course, you've got a long swim ahead of you if'n you want to try it. Now, this is fun and all, but Ah've got to get back to work."

Fisher
2008-02-17, 08:00 PM
Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)
Auww... my head..., Elias thought as he slowly returned to consciousness.

Opening dirt covered eyes, he found himself on a debris littered beach tightly clutching a travel bag . The clothes and cloak he had been wearing was now drenching wet and covered in bits of sand and seaweed. The boat... what happened? Last thing he could remember was sleeping in the crow's nest of the ship, some sort of violent motion, then falling into the ocean. Nothing more.

As he slowly rose from the sand, some distance away he could see a small group gathering. Most likely other survivors of the ship. After taking a few steps forward, however, he collapsed back to the ground. Seems he needed a moment to regain his strength before moving on...

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 08:01 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

When that woman left, he was glad. Hugging a dwarf. He'd heard of half-elves, but come on. Didn't humans have any sense of right and wrong. As she left it almost seemed like she ordered me to follow. Fat chance of that happening

Arm still outstretched, waiting for his reimbursement, Epswitch warned this new woman away, "Don't even think of speaking of the dead as a resource to attract animals, our little boson's mate here will bite yer head off." What was her name... Mary or something

I wonder if the ship's owner will send another looking for survivors. I doubt it, no profit in that. We're probably here for the long haul. When he heard the dung coming out of the sailor's mouth, he knew he was wasting his time. "Work indeed, 'posed to get paid for doing work." Epswitch gathers himself up and goes back to collecting the remains of his luggage. Careful to ward away anyone who thinks his gear is composed of resources.

Lonna
2008-02-17, 08:32 PM
Mara Herbswife


Mara smiled as one of the prone figures further down the beach climbed to his feet and, realizing the situation, vigorously proved that he was breathing. When he headed away from the water-line, toward Ovias, she returned to the task at hand. Looking behind her, she saw that the halfling had ignored her, but the man at least had followed.

"You there," she said, motioning to him. "This is the best way to check if someone is alive." Drawing her dagger, she held the flat of the blade near the mouth of the nearest body. "If you see a slight mist form on the blade, the person is still breathing. If you don't have a blade, the next best way is to put your ear next to the person's mouth and listen," she added, demonstrating. Sitting up, she sighed. "This fellow is no longer with us. Either leave him here for the others to carry or bring him back yourself. I'm going down to the other end of the beach to start checking people over there. Call if you think you've found a live one." This last was said over her shoulder, as Mara headed away from the group.

Reaching the furthest figure she could see without losing sight of the rest of the survivors, Mara set to work. The first two bodies she checked were corpses. Mara dragged them above the high tide line and moved on, her face impassive. As she examined the third figure, however, she brightened. Like the others she had checked, the man was covered with sand and bits of seaweed, but when she carefully rolled him over and held her dagger by his mouth, his breath misted on the blade almost immediately. He clutched a travel bag, and he and it both were damp despite the sun. He probably got re-soaked when the tide came in last night, thought Mara grimly as she dragged him above the tide line. He's just lucky he didn't wash back out to sea. Removing her cloak, Mara wrapped it gently around the unconscious man, then took off down the beach, toward the rest of the group.

"I need a blanket and dry clothes for someone a foot taller than myself!" she shouted as soon as the rest of the group was within earshot. "If someone can find enough driftwood to start a fire that would also help! I found a survivor, but he's cold and wet and has probably been so all night."

journeyman
2008-02-17, 11:58 PM
Feln Zekor, Animal Trainer

The sun was up, he must be late for work. His eyes felt gritty and stuck shut, the rest of him just ached. I didn't drink last night.., he thought to himself in a faintly questioning tone. What did I do last night? The sunset was beautiful...I went to sleep...I woke up and saw red light again, not sunrise...FIRE! With that thought, Feln jolted upright and coughed up some seawater. He remembered now, there had been a fire aboard. The crew couldn't contain it and the ship had gone down. He'd tried to swim ashore. Without any proper training at it, his poor dogpaddling hadn't made much progress to shore. It seemed he'd been swimming for hours. He didn't remember actually making it to the island, but if this was the afterlife, he obviously hadn't said enough prayers. So, with a quick, though heartfelt prayer to whatever friendly power might be listening, he wiped the sand from his eyes and looked around. There were many people moving on the beach, but not nearly as many as had been on the ship. Seeing bodies dragged to a row told him quite clearly the fate of the others. He hadn't really known anyone on board, so he felt almost sorry he wouldn't know how to properly mourn them. It occured to him that scavengers would be coming for the bodies soon enough. Another quick look around confirmed his fears. There were no soldiers, no guards, with this bunch, barely anyone who had a weapon at all. Those bodies needed to be buried quickly or more might be joining them. A quick check of his things showed his feedbag and water were still tied to his waist, hopefully the wax seals had held. His trainer's kit had the straps looped over a large piece of driftwood, he must have grabbed it before his strength ran out. He needed to do something useful, so he went to join the dwarf and others digging a mass grave. The little spade from his kit wasn't much, but it beat digging with his hands. The dwarf seemed to be in charge, which made a certain sense given their reputation for digging. A formal introduction didn't seem necessary, so he just said "I'm Feln", nodded respectfully, and got to work digging. He'd worry about finding someone to fix his Grandpa's crossbow later.

Current Actions: Dig the grave, bury the bodies.

lawful_evil
2008-02-18, 06:32 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

What? Epswitch turns to see who is jabbering at him now. Oh, its that crazy woman. I'll have to play this smooth. What did those human woman at the bar like to be called... right. Epswitch walks over, checking the beach for his stuff as he goes. Stopping 10 feet away, he says, "Look wench, I'l got things to do here. In case you hadn't noticed, the ship sunk and all of our possession have been scattered by the waves." Epswitch takes a deep breath before he continues..Ah, I do like the smell of the salty air. Much cleaner and fresher than chimney air.

He motions to the body and says, "You are doing that all wrong. Just because they are breathing doesn't mean they'll ever wake up again. Take the blade and stab them in the hand. Not too hard, but hard enough. If they wake up or scream or flinch, then they are alive. If they just lay there, leave'm for the wolves."

Epswitch turned to leave and then remembered, her last request and turned back to her saying, "As for dragging the bodies around. Well, look at me. This man's boots are taller than I am and weigh more too. If you want to arrange the bodies, by all means do so, but please remove their clothing first. I suspect it'll be a long long time before anyone manages to build a loom and start weaving cloth."

Action : Antagonize the survivors and look for my stuff. If I see that guy who was tending the animals on the ship, try to make friends.

storyteller
2008-02-18, 07:08 AM
You manage to find a place suitable for burying the bodies. Ovias tells you to dig deep so that scavengers cannot smell the bodies and try to dig them up. It takes 5-6 hours to dig a grave big enough for all the bodies. You're sweaty and dirty after the hard work (except the halfling and a few others who didn't help you).

You've stripped the bodies of any possessions that might be useful (I'll give a detailed list next Sunday when I know how many player characters have drowned, i.e. no-shows and those withdrawn from the game) and you're ready to bury them. Does anyone want to say something before you bury the bodies?

Rayzin
2008-02-18, 09:31 AM
Ray Zhang eventually gets up.As he looks around he sees that hes on land and not the boat.
"What happened here?"

Lonna
2008-02-18, 10:14 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

What? Epswitch turns to see who is jabbering at him now. Oh, its that crazy woman. I'll have to play this smooth. What did those human woman at the bar like to be called... right. Epswitch walks over, checking the beach for his stuff as he goes. Stopping 10 feet away, he says, "Look wench, I'l got things to do here. In case you hadn't noticed, the ship sunk and all of our possession have been scattered by the waves." Epswitch takes a deep breath before he continues..Ah, I do like the smell of the salty air. Much cleaner and fresher than chimney air.

He motions to the body and says, "You are doing that all wrong. Just because they are breathing doesn't mean they'll ever wake up again. Take the blade and stab them in the hand. Not too hard, but hard enough. If they wake up or scream or flinch, then they are alive. If they just lay there, leave'm for the wolves."

Epswitch turned to leave and then remembered, her last request and turned back to her saying, "As for dragging the bodies around. Well, look at me. This man's boots are taller than I am and weigh more too. If you want to arrange the bodies, by all means do so, but please remove their clothing first. I suspect it'll be a long long time before anyone manages to build a loom and start weaving cloth."

Action : Antagonize the survivors and look for my stuff. If I see that guy who was tending the animals on the ship, try to make friends.

Mara Herbswife


Mara stared at the arrogant halfling speechlessly, her breath taken away both by the run and by the little man's callous rudeness. By the time she recovered, his back was turned and he was walking away. If looks could kill, the glare from Mara's eyes, so dark a brown that they were almost black, would have struck down the halfling many times over. Don't waste time arguing with the whole when you can be tending to the injured, thought Mara, remembering another piece of advice her teacher had given her. Ovias and some of his group had disappeared inland, presumably in search of a safe place to bury the dead, and those who remained were busy ferrying the bodies that she and her helper had confirmed were deceased. They would have no time to help her find what she needed right now. The next moment someone emerged from the milling crowd and offered her a blanket, appologizing for not having the correct size clothing.

"Thanks, this helps, this helps alot," said Mara with a warm smile for the helpful stranger.

Muttering under her breath about halflings who didn't know enough to be polite to a healer, even a half-trained one, Mara hurried up the beach to her backpack and extracted her spare outfit. Thanking the gods she had thought to put one in there rather than leaving them all in the small trunk that had held most of her belongings, Mara returned to the unconscious man and pulled back her cloak to check him.

He had dried out considerably more than she expected, her cloak absorbing much of the water from his damp clothes. Pleased, she brushed back her shoulder-length sun-bleached brown hair to examine him more carefully. Though his breathing was shallow and his skin cold to the touch, his pulse was strong and his color was coming back. As long as he's kept warm, he should be fine. After a moment's hesitation, Mara peeled off the stranger's wet shirt and cloak. Her own clothes were clearly too small for this man, but they functioned as a makeshift blanket for his upper half, once she had rolled him onto her spare cloak to keep him off the not yet sun-warmed sand. For the first time wishing she had brought skirts rather than breeches, Mara draped the winter blanket over him, then wrapped the edges of the cloak over him. She nodded to herself, satisfied that she had done all she could. Finally, she spread his shirt and both of their cloaks on the beach to dry, weighing them down with small stones so they would not blow away.

Moving down the beach again, Mara checked the rest of the bodies, but found no spark of life in them. With a sigh, she returned to the survivor, sat down next to him, and settled in to watch the waves and wait for him to wake.

Sicarius
2008-02-18, 10:15 AM
Imbrallius - human clerk

Description: A fairly short, thin with long fingers man. His hair is brown and was kept neat, but fatigue and stress have caused him to grip it one too many times. He wears the outfit of a traveller and has a small knife on his belt. He carries a pack and two sacks. His eyes constantly flit about, and he frequently mutters 'oh dear' or 'terrible, terrible' to himself.

This was terrible. Terrible, terrible. Nothing could describe how terrible it was.

"My gods, how did it come to this?" Imbrallius looked around and saw everyone scurrying about, disorganized. The clerk in him cringed, such disorganization brought ruin. Right now, he just wanted to lay down and mourn, but that was going to have to wait.

He heard the woman asking for clothes and a blanket. He had both, but he was too short. He opened his packs almost without thinking and handed the winter blanket to the woman. "Here, I'm afraid I might be a bit too short for the clothes."

"We need to be organized." It was almost imperceptible at first. Imbrallius wasn't used to speaking. "We need to organize ourselves." He said, a bit louder this time. "We need food, and we need shelter. Let's not wander around haphazardly. Let's get everything down so that we know what's happening." Imbrallius pulled out a sheet of parchment. "We should assign teams to building and foraging for food, as well as see if we have some strong swimmers who can salvage anything from the ship."

Imbrallius looks about for good land to start building shelter (Knowledge: architecture - take 10 for a 14.) He makes notes on another sheet of parchment regarding optimum building sizes and numbers for a small place. One big building to house 30 people might not be a good idea, maybe 5 buildings to house 6, depending on how his calculations work.

ACTION: Getting names and organizing survivors into teams. Trying to get people who are good at something to do that something. Then, picking out a good flat location to place shelter and fire. Probably working with Grey on that.

Rayzin
2008-02-18, 10:43 AM
Ray Zhang walks over to the man who is drawing on the paper
"Sir...Excuse me, but were are we and what happened?"

Shademan
2008-02-18, 10:51 AM
Zavulon.

Zavulon walked all up to the stunty talking about organizing. "youre saying that YOU could organize this mess and make it liveable?" Zavulon towered over the little man, and grinned. "excellent, i sign up fer the swiming."

Fisher
2008-02-18, 11:09 AM
Mara Herbswife
Moving down the beach again, Mara checked the rest of the bodies, but found no spark of life in them. With a sigh, she returned to the survivor, sat down next to him, and settled in to watch the waves and wait for him to wake.

Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)

It wasn't long after collapsing that Elias awoke to the world again, feeling warmer than he had before succumbing to his own fall. Looking left and right he could see that the people were much busier and that several were hauling away the dead.

It was then he noticed the young woman sitting beside him. Rising to a sitting position and still slightly perplexed he asked, "Excuse me miss, you wouldn't happen to have the time? I need to hurry if I'm to deliver these letters"

Staring out into the see and remembering the accident he countered, "Oh... that's right. Nevermind"

Yeril
2008-02-18, 11:11 AM
Joseph
Resource Gathering: Food

Heading out into the underbrush, going only deep enough that he had a chance to find animals, but staying close enough to the beach, that if the worst should happen he could scream and hope help arrived in time.

Rolling for the d20, no taking 10 for me!
Proffession Hunter: [roll0] Enough to Feed Joe + 6 others.

A few hours later..

The hunting went well, after only a short time he had already managed to catch a hare*. After catching a particuarly large bounty of animals, small rabbits*, hares*, even a fox*, enough to feed half a dozen or so of the survivors.

"Somone get a cooking pot ready, we've got some stew meat!" he says triumphantly, holding his bounty high. Joseph then sits, pulls a specialy crafted knife from a belt pouch and begins the grisley task of skinning the creatures. The burden and shock of being stranded didn't hit Joseph, He was busy, entertained, and quite pleased with his haul.

*Replace with more setting appropriate animals.

Lonna
2008-02-18, 11:25 AM
Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)

It wasn't long after collapsing that Elias awoke to the world again, feeling warmer than he had before succumbing to his own fall. Looking left and right he could see that the people were much busier and that several were hauling away the dead.

It was then he noticed the young woman sitting beside him. Rising to a sitting position and still slightly perplexed he asked, "Excuse me miss, you wouldn't happen to have the time? I need to hurry if I'm to deliver these letters"

Staring out into the see and remembering the accident he countered, "Oh... that's right. Nevermind"

Mara Herbswife

"Oh, good, you're awake," said Mara with a relieved smile. "Your shirt and cloak are still wet, so if you are chilled you should use that blanket and the cloak you are sitting on to keep warm." With a slight blush she added, "I should like the rest of my spare clothes back though."

Sicarius
2008-02-18, 12:44 PM
Imbrallius - human clerk

The clerk looked rather exasparated for a second. "It's better than a bunch of people running around and doing things randomly." Then the clerk looks toward the one who approached him. "Fire on the ship. I don't know why. Right now, we need to get organized. What's your name? Are you better at building shelter, hauling wood for the fire, or gathering food?" Imbrallius's manner is hurried, as if there was not enough time for everything. In other words, typical clerk.

Imbasel
2008-02-18, 12:47 PM
Brady looks upon the dead body's with tears in his eyes and begins to speak.

Today we have lost a great many friends due to a fire. We have been left alone on this island, alone, and stranded. Some would say that we are doomed. I say it is fate. Perhaps we are meant to prove to some higher being we can survive through all the hardships they put in front of us. I say that for our sake and the sake of the dead we continue on and try to make the dead proud. Brady leaves and hopes that his words will lighten other peoples hearts.

He turns around to people and says, We must start to build and make sure we are safe. All those that can chop wood, should go to the trees and chop the wood for the houses. Those that can farm and hunt should begin so so that we can have food. Those that can mine should do so. Those that can smith should take the ore should smith armor, and those that are good at carpentry should help me build houses for our protection.

Here is my roll for the week. Link
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1498998/

It is a 20, I don't know what the DC is for crafting a house, so I don't know how much work will be done in a week.

Sicarius
2008-02-18, 12:52 PM
Imbrallius

"Smith? With what forge? We barely have a fire! We don't need armor, we need craftsman to build houses. We do not need ore. We need wood for the fire, and food for the stomach. Our priority right now is extremely basic. No mining. Food and shelter if you can. I will get a few people to salvage from the ship." He gestures to Mara, "She is tending our injured."

Yeril
2008-02-18, 01:04 PM
Joeseph
Assuming this is said before he heads off to hunt.

"I think he was being hypotechinchal, you know like sarcastic but different." he mentions to Imbrallius, either pointing out the obvious or looking abit silly.

Daryk
2008-02-18, 01:22 PM
Tano

As the last of the bodies were taken to the mass grave, Tano solemnly folded the sailcloth that had covered them in the mean time. He thought about following the grim procession to the grave, but realized there was rather a lot of gear piled about, not all of it belonging to the dead. He remembered a woman and a man leaving their gear with Roostin, but the sailor had gone off on another task without a word. Sitting on the now folded sailcloth, Tano carefully sorted what he could, and returned the rest to their rightful owners when they returned.

Fisher
2008-02-18, 01:26 PM
Mara Herbswife

"Oh, good, you're awake," said Mara with a relieved smile. "Your shirt and cloak are still wet, so if you are chilled you should use that blanket and the cloak you are sitting on to keep warm." With a slight blush she added, "I should like the rest of my spare clothes back though."

Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)
Slightly startled that the woman had spared her own clothes to help him, Elias quickly replies, "My apologies miss, thanks for your concern. They seem a little damp from seawater, but they should dry quickly. Here you are," he says while handing her the clothes and retrieving his own shirt that was drying nearby.

Donning it quickly, he hesitantly stood and asked, "Is there anything I can do to help everyone miss... I'm sorry I didn't get your name. I'm Elias. Reaching downward, he offers his hand to help the lady up.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 02:08 PM
Imbrallius - human clerk

The clerk looked rather exasparated for a second. "It's better than a bunch of people running around and doing things randomly." Then the clerk looks toward the one who approached him. "Fire on the ship. I don't know why. Right now, we need to get organized. What's your name? Are you better at building shelter, hauling wood for the fire, or gathering food?" Imbrallius's manner is hurried, as if there was not enough time for everything. In other words, typical clerk.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Having finished the grave, and while waiting for the bodies to be laid down to rest, Ovias dropped by to the man seemingly willing to organise things. He could respect that, although he distrusted his abilities, not yet knowing him.

"My name is <Ovias Greybeard>. You may call me Grrey," Ovias started, "I am a jourrneyman stonemason and arrchitect, and I even have a little experrience in building with wood. I will be collecting rresources to build shelterrs and otherr things, and building them. But I believe we should firrst locate a betterr place than an open beach. This place is dangerrous. Hopefully some herre can explorre forr a prroperr place. A cave would be my firrst choice, if therre arre any, but otherrwise a hill orr firm grround will do. Prreferrably close to both clean waterr and sea, forr fishing will likely be the best way to securre food"

Having had his say, Ovias went looking for Mara. He seemed to be doing fine and from what he could see, she had managed to find a few living people, and was taking good care of them. Knowing the girl seemed to lack confidence on her own abilities - superior as they clearly were to the rest of them, Ovias thought he should point out what was obvious to his eyes, but maybe not to hers <Hi, friend Mara. I can tell that your knowledge was fundamental to save these people's lives. Why, I remember that one, and I thought he would only be needing the final rest. And likely, were it not for your help, so he would have!>

storyteller
2008-02-18, 02:26 PM
OOC:

The DC to build a regular wooden house is 15. A small house (as per the DMG) costs 1000 gp, so you'd need 333.3 gp worth of wood. A tiny house (yes, tiny (http://tinyhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/epuweb.jpg)like this one) costs half as much.

Your progress on week 1: DC x check result = 15 x 20 = 300 sp

So, if you're building a tiny house, you've completed 300 / 5000 sp = 6% by the end of the week. NB: "If you fail [the check] by 5 or more, you ruin half the raw materials and have to pay half the original raw material cost again." (PHB) This is another reason to take 10 unless you're a master carpenter.

And if you had something entirely different in mind, do tell me and I'll give you the DC and gp cost.

Rayzin
2008-02-18, 02:58 PM
"Somone get a cooking pot ready, we've got some stew meat!" he says triumphantly, holding his bounty high. Joseph then sits, pulls a specialy crafted knife from a belt pouch and begins the grisley task of skinning the creatures. The burden and shock of being stranded didn't hit Joseph, He was busy, entertained, and quite pleased with his haul.

*Replace with more setting appropriate animals.


Ray Zhang looks at the man who called this out and quickly takes out a pot out and searches the beach for some dry wood.
"Ill cook it once i find some wood thats not wet..."

jagadaishio
2008-02-18, 04:09 PM
Maria

After helping dig the mass grave and bury all of the bodies, Maria leaves without a word, walking into the forest. Each day for the rest of the week she will pick a direction, walk as deeply into the forest while gathering food as she can before noon, and then walking back to the beach with what she collected. In this way she should be able to explore a great deal of the island surrounding them and gather food for herself and one other person by taking 10 on the survival check each day.

Maria will report any interesting finds to any other hunters and anyone who seems to be in charge of the group. She will also gladly share her surplus food with anyone who needs it.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 06:26 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias turned to the people scattered around the beach, and called loudly for attention. When most were at least looking in his general direction, he addressed them

"People! We arre in a dangerrous place herre, too much in the open forr conforrt. Now, some of you may be suited forr explorration, in which case the best way you can help at this point is to trry and find a betterr place for us to set perrmanent camp. Building a village will take a long time, so look forr caves or otherr naturral rrefuges we could use. If not, I am afrraid we will have to all collaborrate in building the housing, else we arre caught in the open when rrain comes."

"In the mean time, those that can hunt orr gatherr orr fish should do so. I am not surre how much food we have left, but trravel rrations last a long time and we should save them forr emerrgencies. Finally, we will prrobably be sleeping herre tonight. If so, we will need to stand watch. Forr the system to be fairr, everyone should stand watch forr a couple of hourrs. I will take the midnight turrn, since I can see in the darrk."

"Also, I have hearrd that some have not wanted to help in ourr efforrts to help otherrs. If they arre not willing to parrticipate, they can starrt looking for themselves, I say. Those not willing to stand watch can sleep away frrom the grroup. Thank you forr listening"

With that, Ovias pulled out his fishing line and went to a rock outcropping into the sea, from which to fish. He took his boots off and tied the fishing line to a toe, so he would have his hand free and still feel the pull instantly, and spent the time between catches working on a rather large, flat rock nearby.

Actions: survival +2: fishing (take 10)

sickler
2008-02-18, 06:43 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Not having found any living bodies on the beach that could get up and walk themselves, Ben resorted to helping pull the last of the few dead up to Roostin to be searched then assisted in carrying them to their burial area.

On returning to the beach, Ben sat around for a while and observed some of the faces he had begun to recognize. The half-orc talked to some man with papers, the idiotic halfling wasn't anywhere to be seen, the girl had wandered off somewhere on the beach and he recalled her coming back to ask for some things to help some injured person. Just then, he saw the grey-bearded dwarf again who started to speak to them.

Hmm, I had better stick with the group, Ben's simple brain worked out the math fairly easily. Pulling his fishing gear from his belt pouch, he walked down about twenty feet away from the dwarf and started to cast as well.

Actions: survival +2, fishing [roll0]

borninbones
2008-02-18, 07:04 PM
lawful_evil Action : Antagonize the survivors and look for my stuff. If I see that guy who was tending the animals on the ship, try to make friends

Larry has a ton of animals and is only trying to take care of them.

If anyone else has animals and would like larry to take care of them, you only need to bring them too him.

Right now, I am just trying to keep them together, maybe build a short wooden fence just high enough and large enough to keep the chickens in. The cow and goats can be tied up if necessary.

lawful_evil
2008-02-18, 07:15 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

As Epswitch continued to work hard gathering up that which was his and prepare to survive on this new seemingly peaceful island, he found everyone standing around to the fat dwarf and his speech. Scolding people about not working and setting rules. Typical. Oh, yes, I'm sure he is concerned about the people. No, he's more concerned about his belly. At least they've stopped wasting time on the dead.

Epswitch wanders around a bit and finally finds the human he was looking for. "Larry! You're that chap which helped take care of the animals on the ship, right? Can you help me. I've rounded up most of my chickens, but we need to get them calm and secure if they're going to keep laying eggs for us." Epswitch motions to all the chickens standing around his pile of stuff. "Can you help watch them so I can go into the woods and help look for drinking water?"

...

Epswitch, having worked on roofs and in tight spaces knew how important liquids were to keeping your mind straight. Once the dwarf decided to go dip his feet in the water, he called out to the remaining people, "Thirsty? I know I am. We need to find water. Now. Today, or we won't survive to starve to death. Who wants to live? Our best bet is a stream, pond, lake, or spring. We should send someone in each direction along the beach to look for runoff from such a body of water. The rest of us will need to head inland to look."

Daryk
2008-02-18, 07:42 PM
Tano
Tano looked up from his sorting and listened to the dwarf as he made his brief speech. The elf couldn't help but wish the dwarf had introduced himself, but Tano was too shy to have pointed it out. Looking over the mound of gear, he wondered where exactly he was fitting in. He'd helped with the dead, though not the digging. He'd spotted the island itself, but hadn't taken a turn at the oars. Now he was nominally guarding the, well, "salvaged" gear, with no direction as to what to do with it. Several of the other survivors had wandered off into the woods alone to hunt or explore, and Tano would have dearly liked to get to know this new forest better, but he felt tied to his current task. At least he wasn't sitting in the sand, though now that he thought about it, the sail cloth that formed his seat was one more item he was watching for someone else. Tano sighed heavily and returned to sorting. The task at least provided a distraction from his plight.

borninbones
2008-02-18, 07:44 PM
"Aaalright. Bring'em ere." Larry puts those chickens in with the rest of them, and widens previously mentioned fence.

journeyman
2008-02-18, 08:38 PM
Larry has a ton of animals and is only trying to take care of them.

If anyone else has animals and would like larry to take care of them, you only need to bring them too him.

Right now, I am just trying to keep them together, maybe build a short wooden fence just high enough and large enough to keep the chickens in. The cow and goats can be tied up if necessary.

With the dead buried and spoken for, the living needed him once again. Feln headed back down the beach looking for something to keep his hands and mind occupied. As usual, the sound of animals drew his attention first. Someone had brought chickens and other farm-type animals with them. He was impresed, he'd barely dragged himself ashore, how this fellow brought the animals over escaped him. Still, he looked like he could use a hand keeping his flock together while he improvised something to hold them. Once again, Feln simply walked over and got right to work. I'm Feln. I'm good with animals.

Action: Tend the animals so Larry can put something together.
Handle Animal Take 10+9=19

Lonna
2008-02-18, 10:00 PM
Elias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)
Slightly startled that the woman had spared her own clothes to help him, Elias quickly replies, "My apologies miss, thanks for your concern. They seem a little damp from seawater, but they should dry quickly. Here you are," he says while handing her the clothes and retrieving his own shirt that was drying nearby.

Donning it quickly, he hesitantly stood and asked, "Is there anything I can do to help everyone miss... I'm sorry I didn't get your name. I'm Elias. Reaching downward, he offers his hand to help the lady up.

Mara Herbswife

Mara smiled and accepted his help. "It's Mara; Mara Herbswife," she answered, gathering up the blanket and cloaks from the ground. "You're actually quite lucky. Most of those who couldn't sqeeze into the lifeboats didn't survive the swim to shore. As it is it's a miracle you weren't fatally chilled from lying in the surf all night before I found you. I'm an apprentice healer, or was, until we got stranded here, far from any teacher. I guess that means I've graduated, she added with a small, slightly hysterical laugh. Taking a deep breath, Mara handed Elias his cloak and the borrowed blanket.

"As for what you can to do help, she said in a carefully steady voice, "take this blanket back to the clerk-like man organizing things over there. He is the one that lent it to me, and I'm sure he'll be able to find you something to do.

No sooner had she finished speaking when she heard a familiar voice.


Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

<Hi, friend Mara. I can tell that your knowledge was fundamental to save these people's lives. Why, I remember that one, and I thought he would only be needing the final rest. And likely, were it not for your help, so he would have!>


<Thank you, friend Ovias. It is good to hear words of encouragement. Especially when some in our group seem not to appreciate how we must work together to survive.> She added this last as an afterthought, thinking of the dirty halfling's infuriating comments. Switching to Common she continued, "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go down the beach a bit further. I won't leave sight of the group, but I need a bit of time alone." Now that there was no longer anything pressing for her to do, Mara knew she would not be able to hold back the hysteria for long. Even as she spoke she could feel the pressure building, so without another word she turned and walked several yards, until she felt she was out of easy hearing of the others. Then, using her spare outfit as a cushion, she sat on the sand, hugged her knees to her chest, and let it come.

OOC: Unless someone interrupts with something Mara has to do, she'll stay like that for half an hour to an hour. Then she'll head back, put her spare outfit back in her backpack, and help the elf sort through the items salvaged from the drowned crew and passengers.

Daryk
2008-02-18, 10:44 PM
Tano

Tano was glad to see the woman coming up the beach. Though he didn't know her name, he had seen her helping others along the strand. The elf stood as she approached, and said politely, "Thank you for your help today, Miss. I'm Tano, by the way. Tano Curunda, bowyer by trade, sorter of things by sad circumstance. Would you care for a seat on the canvas here? It's a bit more comfortable than the sand."
If Mara accepts his offer, Tano unfolds the sail cloth by one fold, doubling it's area, though making it a bit lower to the ground.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be without internet connectivity starting tomorrow afternoon, through Friday night. I will be back though. If all else fails, Tano will be taking 10 on his untrained survival checks to either aid another at finding food, or finding his own this week. Turning that lone bow staff into a proper short bow will have to wait.

Lonna
2008-02-18, 11:23 PM
Tano

Tano was glad to see the woman coming up the beach. Though he didn't know her name, he had seen her helping others along the strand. The elf stood as she approached, and said politely, "Thank you for your help today, Miss. I'm Tano, by the way. Tano Curunda, bowyer by trade, sorter of things by sad circumstance. Would you care for a seat on the canvas here? It's a bit more comfortable than the sand."
If Mara accepts his offer, Tano unfolds the sail cloth by one fold, doubling it's area, though making it a bit lower to the ground.

Mara Herbswife

Drained emotionally and physically by the work she had done and the emotional breakdown she had endured afterward, Mara was taken by surprise when the elf addressed her.

"Thank you, Tano," answered Mara with a weary half-smile. Lifting the clothing in her hands slightly she added, "I'd be glad of the seat, as soon as I get these things put away." Locating her backpack, Mara did a quick check to make sure nothing was missing, then returned and took the place offered. Rubbing her hands across her face she thought It has been a long day. Suddenly she realized that despite Tano's polite introduction, she had failed to give her own name.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she exclaimed. "I didn't introduce myself. I'm Mara Herbswife, a healer, though only half-trained. Please pardon my earlier rudeness in failing to return your courteous greeting. I'm afraid that after the events of the last day or so I am not at my best."

Zed's Dead
2008-02-19, 12:08 AM
Janson Himmerhardt -- venerable writer

If any of the survivors are looking west, toward the afternoon sun, they might see a lone figure making its way carefully toward the group. As he nears, they may recognize Janson Himmerhardt standing in the waning light. He is leaning heavily on a makeshift staff, but he is alive. His smile is as bright and bold as it was only a day ago, on the ship's deck.

He waves his staff in the air.

HO! Friends! I am happy to see you all once again! Smile! You are the survivors! Yes! Smile!

He continues toward the group--his step a bit lighter, and his smile wider than ever.

Shademan
2008-02-19, 01:57 AM
Zavulon

Zavulon looked up at the smiling old man. he showed his many fangs in a large grinn and said "sure, it could always be worse, right?" he then remembered a story about man-eating one eyed giants that lived on islands such as this.
"...could always be worse...."

storyteller
2008-02-19, 03:20 AM
By following a game trail, the hunters are able to locate a small pond.

OOC:

Commoners trained in Heal or Knowledge (nature) may attempt to determine whether it is safe to drink the water. The DC is 15.

With the bodies buried, Task 2 has been completed! 50 xp everyone! (Yes, everyone who's still alive.)

storyteller
2008-02-19, 04:19 AM
OOC:

MORE INFO ON BUILDINGS

The simplest type of building is a wooden lean-to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lean-to_Adirondacks.jpg). Not as good as a proper house, but better than nothing. This type of building costs 250 gp, i.e. half as much as the tiny house mentioned earlier in this thread. You can later upgrade a lean-to to a tiny house.

With the Survival skill (DC 15) you can "Gain a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saves against severe weather while moving up to one-half your overland speed, or gain a +4 bonus if you remain stationary. You may grant the same bonus to one other character for every 1 point by which your Survival check result exceeds 15." This use of the Survival skill represents seeking or building a temporary shelter when bad weather hits the island.

smartaleq
2008-02-19, 12:24 PM
Maria

After helping dig the mass grave and bury all of the bodies, Maria leaves without a word, walking into the forest. Each day for the rest of the week she will pick a direction, walk as deeply into the forest while gathering food as she can before noon, and then walking back to the beach with what she collected. In this way she should be able to explore a great deal of the island surrounding them and gather food for herself and one other person by taking 10 on the survival check each day.

Maria will report any interesting finds to any other hunters and anyone who seems to be in charge of the group. She will also gladly share her surplus food with anyone who needs it.

Having spent the morning gathering supplies together and avoiding the dead bodies, Gil sees Maria walk into the forest. Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058) quickly drops his heavier gear, and runs to catch up with her. He'll accompany Maria in exploring, but is not nearly so adept in the wilderness. Instead of looking for foodstuffs, Gil will keep a lookout for signs of paths, shelter, danger and pitfalls.

Exploring gear: Quarterstaff, net, backpack(Bedroll, 50ft rope, 2x fishing hook, sewing needle)

pre-emptive rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
and I assume Maria's survival will beat my take 10-1=9

Lonna
2008-02-19, 04:07 PM
Janson Himmerhardt -- venerable writer

If any of the survivors are looking west, toward the afternoon sun, they might see a lone figure making its way carefully toward the group. As he nears, they may recognize Janson Himmerhardt standing in the waning light. He is leaning heavily on a makeshift staff, but he is alive. His smile is as bright and bold as it was only a day ago, on the ship's deck.

He waves his staff in the air.

HO! Friends! I am happy to see you all once again! Smile! You are the survivors! Yes! Smile!

He continues toward the group--his step a bit lighter, and his smile wider than ever.


Zavulon

Zavulon looked up at the smiling old man. he showed his many fangs in a large grinn and said "sure, it could always be worse, right?" he then remembered a story about man-eating one eyed giants that lived on islands such as this.
"...could always be worse...."

Mara Herbswife


Mara had hardly settled into her seat when she heard the old man's cheerful call. Looking up, she frowned, thinking. I don't remember anyone but myself going that far down the beach from the group. Could he have washed ashore somewhere else on the island? But for someone so old to have survived an ordeal like that...

"I'll be back," Mara said to Tano as she stood up. "but I think my skills may be needed." Walking on a line to intercept the elder, she arrived in time to hear the half-orc's comment.

"That it could," she said briskly, trying to remember if she had ever learned the names of the people in front of her. Turning to the older man she continued, "Are you in any pain? I would expect someone of your age to be much the worse for wear after last night's ordeal. No offense," she added.

jagadaishio
2008-02-19, 05:11 PM
Maria

Upon finding the pond, Maria attempts to use the heal skill untrained to ascertain the safety of the water for drinking purposes.

[roll0]




Having spent the morning gathering supplies together and avoiding the dead bodies, Gil sees Maria walk into the forest. Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058) quickly drops his heavier gear, and runs to catch up with her. He'll accompany Maria in exploring, but is not nearly so adept in the wilderness. Instead of looking for foodstuffs, Gil will keep a lookout for signs of paths, shelter, danger and pitfalls.

Exploring gear: Quarterstaff, net, backpack(Bedroll, 50ft rope, 2x fishing hook, sewing needle)

pre-emptive rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
and I assume Maria's survival will beat my take 10-1=9

"Who are you?" asks Maria as Gil catches up with her. She has her bag hoisted over one shoulder and a loaded sling dangling from her spare hand. She wore thin peasant's clothes, her feet in simple moccasins wrapped in strips of cloth to keep them tight on her feet.

If taking 10 on your survival check wouldn't allow you to overcome DC 10, you may as well just actually roll. That way, you have some chance of at least finding some food.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-19, 08:24 PM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer


Turning to the older man she continued, "Are you in any pain? I would expect someone of your age to be much the worse for wear after last night's ordeal. No offense," she added.

As the young woman neared him, Janson's broad smile broke, and only a grimace of pain remained. By the time she reached him, he had fallen to his knees.

My way...he was panting with the effort of walking so far...has always been to ignore...hardship...and turn toward more...pleasant...

Janson pitched forward toward toward the sand.

Fisher
2008-02-19, 10:32 PM
Elias
Walking over to the clerk, Elias offers his help in gathering food and supplies. Unless help is needed in another area, he will continue to do so for the rest of the week.


My apologies for the bland post.

Checks for the week:

Survival: +4, taking ten. Gather food for everyone.
Search: +4, taking ten. Search shore for washed up debris or supplies from the ship that's still usable.

Elias will conserve/save rations and other supplies for later. The following items he will gladly lend to others if they have a need for them:
-Waterskin
-Rope (50ft)
-Flint and Steel
-Lantern
-3 pints of Oil
-1/2lb of Corn
-Flasks
-Spare Candles
-Inkpen
-Spare Parchment
-Bedroll

Though stranded on an island, for the time being Elias will not allow the opening of any of the packages he carries. For now he chooses to uphold the Courier's Code.

Lonna
2008-02-19, 11:36 PM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

As the young woman neared him, Janson's broad smile broke, and only a grimace of pain remained. By the time she reached him, he had fallen to his knees.

My way...he was panting with the effort of walking so far...has always been to ignore...hardship...and turn toward more...pleasant...

Janson pitched forward toward toward the sand.

Mara Herbswife


Mara had never been particularly quick or agile before, but when the elderly man toppled, her body moved without thought to catch him before he hit the sand. Kneeling, she carefully lowered him to the ground, then removed her cloak and spread it out next to him. As gently as possible she rolled him on the cloth. It was better than the sand, if barely.

The man's face was pale, his mouth twisted in pain, and perspiration beaded on his brow. Feeling for his pulse and listening to his breath, Mara was alarmed to find the former racing and the latter fast and shallow. Clearly this was a man of great personal strength, to have endured the amount of pain he was evidently feeling not only long enough to find the rest of the survivors, but even smiling until the last moment.

"Sir, I don't know if you can hear me, but I need to make sure you don't have any broken bones. Don't try to talk - " she quickly warned, "at least not until I've made sure your ribs are whole. If you try to move or talk with a broken rib you might puncture a lung, and even an expert healer with a full range of supplies would be hard pressed to save you then."

Glancing up at the hovering half-orc she ordered, "See if that clerk fellow has found any medicinal herbs. I don't have any with me, and this gentleman is probably going to need something to take the pain away even if by some miracle I find no serious injuries."

With that she returned her full focus to the injured man before her. "First I'm going to check your torso," she explained, though she was saying it as much for her own benefit as for the old man's. Murmuring reassurances, explanations, and apologies when she jostled him, she examined the man thoroughly, wincing at the livid bruises that dappled his chest and back. It seemed that wherever he had washed up, he had hit a number of good-sized boulders first. His feet too were bruised and swollen, though Mara suspected that was the result of his trek to find them. To her surprise and relief, she couldn't detect any broken bones.

"You are probably the luckiest person here," Mara informed the prone figure, relief making her voice light. It didn't matter whether or not he could hear her, she just had to marvel aloud. "From the looks of things you could easily have died just washing ashore. That you not only survived, but then walked the gods only know how far to find us is incredible. You're suffering from dehydration and exhaustion, but aside from those admittedly nasty bruises and a few minor scrapes, you have no injuries at all!"

Zed's Dead
2008-02-20, 12:04 AM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

"You are probably the luckiest person here," Mara informed the prone figure, relief making her voice light. It didn't matter whether or not he could hear her, she just had to marvel aloud. "From the looks of things you could easily have died just washing ashore. That you not only survived, but then walked the gods only know how far to find us is incredible. You're suffering from dehydration and exhaustion, but aside from those admittedly nasty bruises and a few minor scrapes, you have no injuries at all!"

Though his breathing was still ragged and shallow, Janson managed a smile.

Thank you, Lady Mara. Fates willing...I shall live...to tell your story...should you deign to tell it me.

Janson lays back into the sand and closes his eyes. His breathing eases noticeably.

storyteller
2008-02-20, 03:21 AM
To Maria's untrained eyes, it looks like any other pond... (failure)


Maria

Upon finding the pond, Maria attempts to use the heal skill untrained to ascertain the safety of the water for drinking purposes.

[roll0]



"Who are you?" asks Maria as Gil catches up with her. She has her bag hoisted over one shoulder and a loaded sling dangling from her spare hand. She wore thin peasant's clothes, her feet in simple moccasins wrapped in strips of cloth to keep them tight on her feet.

If taking 10 on your survival check wouldn't allow you to overcome DC 10, you may as well just actually roll. That way, you have some chance of at least finding some food.

lawful_evil
2008-02-21, 12:04 PM
Epswitch

When the bald halfling hears about water source, he sighs in relief. Well, no need to mount a big expedition then. He goes over to Larry and the chickens and says, "They've found water. We should move the chickens a bit closer. We want the water to be convenient, but we don't want the chickens to contaminate it." Epswitch gathers up a bunch of his stuff, nearly as much as he could carry and heads over to the water source.

Once at the water source, he checks out the surrounding. He takes a deep drink from the water. Assuming it doesn't immediately kill him, Epswitch then selects a pair of trees about 60-75' from the water(if possible) which are about 6 feet apart and using his rope and the 6'x6' canvas he brought, sets up a 'tent'. He unloads most of his stuff into the tent and then heads back to the beach to get more stuff. Back and forth and back and forth, probably for the rest of the day. The last thing he attempts to move are the chickens, with Larry's help.

Lonna
2008-02-21, 04:40 PM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

Though his breathing was still ragged and shallow, Janson managed a smile.

Thank you, Lady Mara. Fates willing...I shall live...to tell your story...should you deign to tell it me.

Janson lays back into the sand and closes his eyes. His breathing eases noticeably.

Mara Herbswife


About to ask her patient's name - and how he knew her own - Mara realized he was falling asleep. He needs rest more than I need information, she decided, standing up. Hurrying up the beach, she retreived her backpack, then paused to address Tano.

"I'm sorry to abandon you like this," she apologized, "but I'm worried about that old gentleman. I want to keep an eye on him for a while."

Taking her belongings back to where the man in question still lay, she removed her spare cloak and laid it over him, once again using her cloak as a make-shift blanket. Noticing that it would be sunset in an hour or two, she set about gathering driftwood into a pile near her most recent charge.

OOC: When it starts to get dark she will light a fire with the flint and steel in her belt pouch, using her gathered wood as a stockpile throughout the night if necessary. If others come to the fire later, she will try to organize setting a watch throughout the night.

Daryk
2008-02-21, 10:30 PM
Tano

The hotel has an internet connection! Plus, I'll be home tomorrow. Since there is only the one machine here in the lobby, I can't take as much time as I'd like, but here's a short post at least.

Tano sighed as Mara explained she was leaving to attend another passenger in distress. "I understand, Mara," was all he said as she retreated. Folding the sail cloth once again, the elf boosted the height of his seat above the sand, and observed the halfling moving his belongings inland somewhere beyond the treeline.

Shademan
2008-02-22, 02:03 AM
Zavulon


OOC:survival check to catch fish. 1D20-1 = [15]-1 = 14

storyteller
2008-02-22, 02:15 AM
It's getting dark. The winds become colder. Mara lights a fire and many of you gather around it to stay warm.

OOC:

As you may have noticed, this campaign has several different "timelines" or whatever you want to call them. Those in the sunken ship need not worry about sunset - events in the optional quest threads and the main thread (this one) do not happen simultaneuously. The events in optional quests are assumed to happen sometime during the week.

It looks like day 1 (in-game) is nearing its end but it's already Friday (in real life)! Are we in a hurry to rp the 6 remaining days of the week before Sunday? No! The idea is not to rp each day of the week. If we did that, the game would be slooooooooow. This doesn't mean that your characters are idle for the rest of the week. They're fishing, hunting, crafting, etc.

As Grey Wolf suggested in the OOC thread, the campaign is actually three games in one: 1) survival (resource actions) 2) rp in the main thread, and 3) quests. 2) and 3) are optional.

If you're are very busy in real life, it's enough to post your resource action (and preferably at least one paragraph to describe in character what your commoner is doing that week) once a week. On the other hand, some players like Grey Wolf and Lonna have been very active and I'll give small xp awards to the most active players. (Of course, quality matters more than quantity.)

Some of you are guarding the camp at night (and maybe also in the daytime). Setting up guard shifts will be one of your tasks for week 2, but you can already do that as Mara suggested.

The halfling discovers that the water is clean and good to drink. 50 xp to Epswitch!

Many of you have already taken a resource action. Those who haven't please do so before Sunday. Remember, if you have a negative modifier to a skill check, you'll automatically fail a DC 10 check (e.g. finding food with Survival) when taking 10. In this case, it's better to roll.

Shademan
2008-02-22, 04:58 AM
ooc:
i volunter Zavulon to take night shifts (darkvision ftw)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 12:56 PM
ooc:
i volunter Zavulon to take night shifts (darkvision ftw)

Ovias, while enjoying a couple of the fish he caught, suggests, "Those of us with darrkvision (orr the keen eyesight of elves) should take the deep night shifts, whilst arround dawn and dusk humans can take it. Now, therre is only thrree of us, so I would rrecomend five shifts, each just shy of two hourrs, with the thrree in the deep of night being taken by us - so long as the elf is willing - and if Zavulon wants the firrst of the middle thrree, I'll take the second"

Thinking about it a little more, he adds, "One single perrson is a tad dangerrous forr watch duty, though - I'd feel saferr if we doubled up - maybe one human, one of us thrree at a time so we have morre eyes and earrs awake, maybe? I'm surre therre arre humans that can listen forr dangerr farr betterr than I can - my earrs arre not exactly rready forr soft night sounds afterr yearrs of crrafting stone and metal"

Shademan
2008-02-22, 01:46 PM
Zavulon nods to Grey. "im in. i can take the midnight shift or something..."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 04:16 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) week 1 routine work

Ovias will spend the mornings checking for construction stone (appraise, take 10 +4) and collecting them ("mining", 10+4) in preparation for future construction work. He will not be actively looking for, but will "keep an eye out" for any promising seam of ore he happens to find traces of while looking for stone.

In the afternoons, Ovias will fish (10 +2), providing food for 2 people per day. Whilst waiting for the fishes to bite, he will be working on some secret-ish project involving carvings of flat rocks

Lonna
2008-02-22, 04:52 PM
Mara Herbswife

"I can take any shift, though I would prefer either the dawn or dusk watch."


OOC:
Mara's routine for the week -

Mornings will be spent gathering edible plants (Survival 10+3).
Afternoons will be spent looking for medicinal plants (Knowledge(nature) 10+3, Spot 10+3).

Yeril
2008-02-22, 05:09 PM
For the first week, Joseph doesn't talk much, most of his time he spends hunting, only stopping to skin the meat for the cookpot, and for sleeping.
All in all he seems quite content, having both very good days, and very bad days. Whenever he brings food back, he always insists that the elderly man gets a portion every day.

(Ooc; I prefer to roll for my skillchecks, atleast for now, I noticed Ovias took a Morning task and an Afternoon task, if we are having 2 skill checks a day, Joseph will spend both of these actions hunting for food. If we are only having 1 skill check a day, then just use the Morning hunt.)

Hunting 1 (Mornings)
Day 2 [roll0] Feeds Himself + 1 Other
Day 3 [roll1] Feeds Himself + 5 Others
Day 4 [roll2] Feeds Himself + 7 Others
Day 5 [roll3] Feeds No one.
Day 6 [roll4] Feeds Himself + 2 Others
Day 7 [roll5] Feeds Himself +8 Others

Total 28 Food Units

Hunting 2 (Afternoon)
Day 2 [roll6] Feeds Himself + 8 Others
Day 3 [roll7] Feeds Himself + 4 Others
Day 4 [roll8] Feeds Noone
Day 5 [roll9] Feeds Noone
Day 6 [roll10] Feeds Himself + 7 Others
Day 7 [roll11] Feeds Noone

Total 22 Food Units

Zombie pixe
2008-02-22, 06:09 PM
((is there any jobs that need doing, i seem to be free...))

Daryk
2008-02-22, 06:12 PM
Tano

"I will certainly take a night watch, Master Greybeard. Perhaps two, as I'll be up and about anyway," Tano said.

Since it seems plenty of food is being gathered, Tano will spend his resource action setting up the sail cloth as a large shelter for the group until something better can be thrown together. Taking 10 on Rope Use yields a result of 11, as does Craft: Tent(?). He'll either use scavenged rope from the beach, or some lent to him by those who bought some (like, say, Roostin...).

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 06:26 PM
((is there any jobs that need doing, i seem to be free...))

Ovias considers the Tall's question about where he would fit best, and answers "Well, Erric, therre is still one watch shift with no-one assigned, you might as well take it. Also, for the rrest of the week you can come along in the morrnings with me and help me gatherr stones - I'll be able to gatherr morre with a little help. Likewise, if anyone's gatherring wood - maybe you, Master Curunda? - in the afterrnoon, you should help them - we need a good storre of both if we arre going to trry and build some shelterrs."

After thinking some more, he adds, "If that doesn't rreally call to you, we need to explorre the island. We have alrready located clean waterr, but no good place forr the perrmanent encampment. Explorring arround the waterr forr a defensible place wherre we can build (so not a marrsh) and if possible alrready safe frrom the elements. It would be grreat if we could find a cave, in fact - it is all thrree at once"

OOC: as a craftman, I can direct others in the same job, but I'm not sure if it gives them a circumstance bonus. Still, he can obviously help carry rocks and after a while keep a look-out for the more obvious kinds of rock, so even at a basic 10 + Int he can help.

OOC: Ovias lends his rope to Tano for the shelter

Sicarius
2008-02-22, 06:27 PM
Imbrallius

"I'm no fighter, but I can take a dawn or dusk watch."

Imbrallius's schedule consists of:

1st Day: Sizing up land for best possible construction sites and drafting plans (12 - knowledge: architecture)
Rest of Week: Aiding in the shelter process

Zombie pixe
2008-02-22, 06:54 PM
thanking Ovias for his help, eric buisies himslef with the tasks given to him.

since the is not wheat, and no yeist, erics favorite passtime is unavailabe, ((making alcohol)) but he is sure that when everyone has settled in, he will be a popular man...

((i dont need to roll anything to see if i can carry some rocks/wood do I? :smallconfused:))

Yeril
2008-02-22, 07:13 PM
Tano

"I will certainly take a night watch, Master Greybeard. Perhaps two, as I'll be up and about anyway," Tano said.

Since it seems plenty of food is being gathered, Tano will spend his resource action setting up the sail cloth as a large shelter for the group until something better can be thrown together. Taking 10 on Rope Use yields a result of 11, as does Craft: Tent(?). He'll either use scavenged rope from the beach, or some lent to him by those who bought some (like, say, Roostin...).

As Joseph sits, his hands blodded from skinning the animals, he takes note to the elf as he begins work on a shelter.

"What about the lifeboat?"he says, gesturing towards the beach where the lifeboat sits. "Its fairly big, wooden, sturdy and waterproof, Can't we just drag it up the beach an' flip it over? That should provide some shelter for a few of us."

OOC: I'm assuming the scavaging party has "arrived" in a RP sense, but their cargo and salvaged goods are still being unloaded because they havn't "arrived" in a mechanical sense. :smallsmile:

Daryk
2008-02-22, 07:21 PM
Tano

Tano nodded in response to the question about the life boat and said, "We could, but I assumed both boats would be needed for the salvage party. If that's not the case, I think the best use of the boat would be on its side, as a temporary wall."

lawful_evil
2008-02-22, 07:23 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch scowls at the fire. Great. Create a signal for all the beasts of the forest. Dinner is served. All the same, Epswitch offers his vision to help protect the group(and his chickens). "I'd be only too glad to help. If everyone takes a watch, we'll only need to be on watch for 20 or 30 minutes. It might be better to have 2 or more people watch for a full hour instead. An extra pair of eyes and ears might be needed. Considering how many lives are at stake."

Epswitch doesn't really have an skills which can be used to pass the time, other than perhaps sleight of hand. :smallwink: Hunting and defense are not really his thing either, but he is at least handy with a sling, even if the stones don't do much damage.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-22, 07:43 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch scowls at the fire. Great. Create a signal for all the beasts of the forest. Dinner is served. All the same, Epswitch offers his vision to help protect the group(and his chickens). "I'd be only too glad to help. If everyone takes a watch, we'll only need to be on watch for 20 or 30 minutes. It might be better to have 2 or more people watch for a full hour instead. An extra pair of eyes and ears might be needed. Considering how many lives are at stake."

Epswitch doesn't really have an skills which can be used to pass the time, other than perhaps sleight of hand. :smallwink: Hunting and defense are not really his thing either, but he is at least handy with a sling, even if the stones don't do much damage.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Actually, halfling," answers Ovias, "we do not know how many people arre well enough to stand watch the firrst few nights. Mara is still taking carre of severral people. So farr, in fact, with you only six people have volunteerred, just above the barre minimum forr my five-watch system, and nowherre nearr your 16-watch suggestion. If morre people volunteerr, we can rreconsiderr."

"Oh, and if you're lacking some useful way in which to collaborrate, I'm surre severral of us can find some way in which you can help ourr own chorres, in the same way Erric will"

Turning towards Tano and Yoseph, Ovias mentions "We may need the boats laterr, beyond the rrescue, if we trruly are in an island, so I wouldn't be too quick to use them as constrruction materrial, since handling them too much will split theirr seams and make them leak and sink. In fact, we should considerr digging them into the beach forr protection. It is not like we arre going to be hurrting forr lumberr, anyway", he ends, vaguely indicating the masses of trees around them.

OOC: The sunken ship hasn't had time to happen yet in the main timeline - it's still day one, and we've all been fairly busy. I assume it happens sometime later during the week.

jagadaishio
2008-02-22, 10:44 PM
Maria

Maria approached Ovias that evening after a day of hunting and foraging. Speaking to him, she explains, "I would like to take guard tonight. I mean no offense, but scavengers will likely linger around the burial site. If I keep an eye on it, I could stop them from coming closer in and endangering us and I may be able to get some extra food."

Zed's Dead
2008-02-22, 10:50 PM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer

Thanks to the attention of Mara, Janson Himmerhardt is able to make a swift recovery. He had suffered primarily from dehydration, but that was quicly remedied by the efforts of Epswitch and the others. His bruises are healing nicely, and he is able to get around in a couple of days. As soon as he is able, Janson volunteers for watch duty.

He replies to the dubious looks of his friends thus:

I may be wizened, youngsters, but my eyes and ears are sharper than many of yours! Ha!

His bright smile and merry eyes are pretty convincing.

Jansen spends his days between naps looking for berries or fruits which would make good ink and for plants which could be turned into paper. He's especially interested in gleaning information from anyone (perhaps Mara) who know the properties of plants. He also offers his help to tend the animals rescued from the boat.

OOC: (1st night guard duty)
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Handle Animal: [roll2]
1st week Survival: take 10 + 3 = 13

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 02:54 AM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer
I may be wizened, youngsters, but my eyes and ears are sharper than many of yours! Ha!


Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"I would be honourred, Maesterr Himmerrharrdt, if you would stand watch with me, Sirr", Ovias replies, "So, to rresume, we have:
firrst watch (dusk): Mara and Marria
second watch: Ovias and Maesterr Himmerrharrdt
thirrd watch (midnight): Zavulon and Masterr Currunda
fourrth watch: Masterr Currunda and Erric
fifth watch (dawn): Imbrrallius and Epswitch",
he lists, counting on his fingers, and continues "Joseph, you have not volunteerred, not surre if you want to take one watch orr not - Mara may need help, since Marria plans to stand watch but go hunting time perrmiting. Furrtherrmorre, I have given Masterr Currunda two shifts, since he sleeps less than the rrest of us, and said he would not mind"

Finally, looking around, ovias adds, "Anyone else? Any corrrections or changes? If not, I think that will be a good watch set up"

Lonna
2008-02-23, 04:10 AM
Mara Herbswife


"I have no lasting objections to the watch order you have recommended, friend Ovias. However, I must insist that Master Himmerhardt rest throughout this first night, to regain his strength. I will take his watch tonight. By tomorrow he should be fit enough to stand watch, unless his wounds unexpectedly worsen." Having said her piece, Mara chose a position where she could watch the forest, keeping her back to the fire so as not to spoil her night vision.



[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Shademan
2008-02-23, 04:20 AM
"hmf...fine by me." Zavulon shrugs.


survival:
>already eaten<
1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18
1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7
1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7
1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18
1D20-1 = [1]-1 = 0
wow, really suck at fishing!

Spot checks fer the week:
1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7
1D20-1 = [11]-1 = 10
1D20-1 = [15]-1 = 14
1D20-1 = [14]-1 = 13
1D20-1 = [16]-1 = 15
1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18
1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18

listen checks:
1D20-1 = [1]-1 = 0
1D20-1 = [16]-1 = 15
1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12
1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7
1D20-1 = [9]-1 = 8
1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2

Whenever he have spare time, Zavulon will roam around searching for places (mountains, pits, rocks, marshes) that contains ore of some kind.
SEARCH:
1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7
1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9
1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7
1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3
1D20+1 = [17]+1 = 18
1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
1D20+1 = [12]+1 = 13

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 04:43 AM
Mara Herbswife


"I have no lasting objections to the watch order you have recommended, friend Ovias. However, I must insist that Master Himmerhardt rest throughout this first night, to regain his strength. I will take his watch tonight. By tomorrow he should be fit enough to stand watch, unless his wounds unexpectedly worsen."

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Verry well, frriend Mara, you of courrse know best, and I will be glad to stand watch with you", accepts Ovias, undaunted by the fire or lack of it, clearly seeing into the darkness that surrounds them beyond that iluminated by the firelight. "That said, I would think we all need a good night's sleep, including you, my frriend, so maybe someone else will be able to take up the spot"

Yeril
2008-02-23, 08:35 AM
he lists, counting on his fingers, and continues "Yoseph, you have not volunteerred, not surre if you want to take one watch orr not - Mara may need help, since Marria plans to stand watch but go hunting time perrmiting. Furrtherrmorre, I have given Masterr Currunda two shifts, since he sleeps less than the rrest of us, and said he would not mind"

"Hm me? Yes, I have the time, I would like to contribute to the watch if I am needed."

OOC: Taking 10, for a 12 on spot and 12 on listen checks for my nightwatch.

Sicarius
2008-02-23, 09:44 AM
Imbrallius

"Yes, yes, this is all well and good." Imbrallius scrawls a list down so it's recorded. "Here you are, Master Greybeard, a list for you." Imbrallius then goes back to drawing up plans for communal shelters.

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 10:13 AM
Maria

Maria takes 10 on all of her spot and listen checks on her shift each night, for a result of 10 on each of them. If she sees any animals lingering around the burial site or trying to get into camp, she tries to kill them with her sling.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 10:40 AM
Imbrallius

"Yes, yes, this is all well and good." Imbrallius scrawls a list down so it's recorded. "Here you are, Master Greybeard, a list for you." Imbrallius then goes back to drawing up plans for communal shelters.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Thank you, Masterr Imbrrallius", says Ovias, taking the piece of parchment. Curious, he takes a look and immediately recognises what Imbralus is drawing. "I was not awarre you had knowledge of arrchitecture, Sirr. I am jourrneyman of engineerring myself, and have been planning how we could house us all, too. May I take a look?"

After checking it over for some time*, Ovias points out one or two details he would do differently, but otherwise is aprovatory of the work. "Unforrtunately," he mentions, "any plans we drraw at this point are little morre than excerrcises forr ourr minds. Any good arrchitecturral design must take into account the location, and we have yet to find that one. We can plan for squarre orr cirrcles, but if therre is a big rrock we cannot move, orr unsuitable grround for foundations, we will have to rredrraw. My arrchitecture maester always said 'the grround is demanding and unforrgiving - trry to contrradict him and he will destrroy yourr worrk'."

Ovias examines the plans once more, realising one more crucial detail, "Also, I feel that you arre being a little too ambitious - those communal shelterrs will take many weeks of worrk beforre we can use them, and some of these people cannot wait that long forr shelterr. In my opinion, we need to build simple at firrst, hopefully in a way that can laterr be imprroved - simple lean-tos, forr example. I may be wrrong, but I think we arre shorrt on builderrs. I can build those shelterrs with stone - I have seen many prromising stones arround - but without trraining, otherrs will be in the way. Simplerr constrructions arre betterr because I can dirrect otherrs."

Suddenly, Ovias realises he could be offending the human with his dismissal of his work - humans were touchy, he knew - so he assured, "I do not mean to offend you orr diminish yourr worrk, of courrse. If my maesterr was herre, he would alrready be planning a forrtrress, but we must be rrealistic of ourr abilities. Maybe laterr, once we have the leisurre, we can imprrove on the designs and build something long-lasting"


* I asume Imbrallius doesn't object to this - I'll change the paragraph if he does

Zed's Dead
2008-02-23, 11:25 AM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer


However, I must insist that Master Himmerhardt rest throughout this first night, to regain his strength. I will take his watch tonight. By tomorrow he should be fit enough to stand watch, unless his wounds unexpectedly worsen.

Janson's brow wrinkles, and his smile fades for a moment.

Hmmm...I bend to your wisdom, lady. Normally, I would resist your assumption that I am unfit for any duty, but my aches and pains argue with you. I have lived through much worse than this, however, and I will take my watch tomorrow night.

He smiles, gratefully.

I thank you for your kindness and courtesy.

lawful_evil
2008-02-23, 11:30 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

The halfling looks up at the massive dwarf and raises an eyebrow. "Perhaps, but I expect them to be well enough to contribute soon enough and at that time I still think it wiser to double up. The humans don't see in the dark nearly as well the elves or dwarves. I do not wish to be attacked simply because the humans are night-blind and we failed to consider that when allocating guards."

The halfling turns to go back to work when he decides to add to the dwarf, "I am certainly not lacking in useful ways to contribute, despite what you may think." Perhaps I could teach proper pronunciation.

The halfling goes back to his 'tent' and adjusts his stuff to make sure he can tell if they've been disturbed, but also to make sure any foodstuffs are difficult to get at. Don't want to make it easy for the animals.

Sicarius
2008-02-23, 12:00 PM
Imbrallius

"Yes, yes, I already know that. But fatigue will wear on my mind and I want these plans done while I'm still of mind to do them. Long days in the sun will render my mind duller, and I want to get these plans for shelter done now so that I can organize our materials into what is useful for a permanent fixture versus what can be used for temporary housing. These aren't exercises for the mind, they are also supposed to get my mind in the proper mindset for when the time comes. We must be prepared for the stress of the journey to impede our mental functions, so I'm going to solve that problem when I can."

Imbrallius notably doesn't look up from his plans as he speaks to the dwarf. By all accounts, he was a planner, then a doer.

storyteller
2008-02-23, 01:05 PM
OOC:

RESOURCE ACTIONS AND STUFF

You only have one resource action per week. It represents about eight hours of work each day of the week. Roll only once per week (even if the skill normally requires you to roll once per day) or take 10. These are the most common resource actions:

Finding food (and water)

Skill check: Survival, Profession (Hunter) or Profession (Fisher). DC: 10 (+2 to find food for one additional person).

Mining and woodcutting

Skill check: Profession (miner) or Profession (lumberjack). No DC; instead you get 1/2 gp x check result worth of raw materials.

Crafting

Skill check: Craft (armorsmithing, bowmaking, carpentry, leatherworking, stonemasonry, weaponsmithing, etc.).

Training and rearing animals

Skill check: Handle Animal. See the skill description for the DCs.

---

You may spend the rest of the day on light activities, for example Heal (long-term care), guarding (basically Spotting and Listening).

RESOURCE ACTIONS ON WEEK 1 (let me know if I forgot something; * denotes that the character rolled instead of taking 10)

Finding food (result; # of people fed)

Larry (14; 3)
Zavulon (14*; 3)
Ovias (12; 2) (or mining???)
Joseph (23*; 7)
Maria (12; 2)
Ben (21*; 6)
Tano (10; 1)
Elias (14, 3)
Mara (13; 2)
Janson (13; 2)

Total: 31... enough to feed 31 people. Nice :smallsmile: Let's see how many there'll be left to feed...

Feln (Handle Animal, 19). Feln looks after the animals and keeps them fed and safe. Since you have enough food for week 1, no eggs or milk are needed.

Brady (Craft (carpentry) 20*). Brady constructs a wooden frame that you can attach the sails to. To start building an actual house, you need to use Profession (lumberjack) or (miner) to get raw materials. You can start building before you have all the raw materials, i.e. you can harvest and build in parallel.

---

Tano and other in the camp start building some kind of shelter using the sails, a lifeboat and other salvaged equipment. By the end of the week, you have a weird looking tent that's big enough to keep you dry if it starts raining.

Daryk
2008-02-23, 01:26 PM
I take it this means week one is over, and we should post resource actions for week 2? If so, since it appears we have more than enough food coming in, Tano will work on making a shortbow (taking 10, for a total result of 18). This should produce (12x18=216 sp) 21.6 gold pieces of progress on a 30 gp item.

storyteller
2008-02-23, 01:58 PM
OOC:

You may do so, but officially Week 2 begins on Sunday. You can still post (or change) your resource action for Week 1 if you haven't done that yet...

And hey! 100 xp everyone for setting up guard shifts!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 02:17 PM
OOC:

You may do so, but officially Week 2 begins on Sunday. You can still post (or change) your resource action for Week 1 if you haven't done that yet...

And hey! 100 xp everyone for setting up guard shifts!

Given the amount of food being pulled in, Ovias will spend the week "mining" for construction stones, for a total of 7 gp worth of stone. He uses some of that stone to create salt works (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt) during his free time that should allow anyone with survival to salt some of the meat and fish, as well as improve food quality by allowing us to salt the cooking.

Assuming Eric does help him (as he agreed to do), he would pull in a further 5.5 gp, for a combined total of 12.5 gp

Daryk
2008-02-23, 02:30 PM
OOC:

You may do so, but officially Week 2 begins on Sunday. You can still post (or change) your resource action for Week 1 if you haven't done that yet...

And hey! 100 xp everyone for setting up guard shifts!

Well, then. Assuming setting up the shelter didn't actually take the whole week, could Tano work on the shortbow this week instead of bringing in that measly one ration?

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate posts today... the site is giving me fits.

Shademan
2008-02-23, 03:08 PM
Zavulon cant really do any tasks before he have a smith, so he will assist the first person that ask him for the first week.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-23, 04:26 PM
Assuming Eric does help him (as he agreed to do), he would pull in a further 5.5 gp, for a combined total of 12.5 gp

((yeps, eric helps :smallbiggrin: ))

so, these rocks are granite right..?

storyteller
2008-02-23, 05:28 PM
Yes, you can do that. And yeah, there must be something wrong with the servers... you're certainly not the only one who's noticed that :smallfrown:


Well, then. Assuming setting up the shelter didn't actually take the whole week, could Tano work on the shortbow this week instead of bringing in that measly one ration?

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate posts today... the site is giving me fits.

Shademan
2008-02-23, 05:33 PM
OOC: any luck on zavulons attempts to locate ore?

sickler
2008-02-23, 06:41 PM
Ben spends his "work" week fishing and gazing off onto the horizon to ever see if there are ships. He carefeely ponders about how relaxing a vacation this is.


Survival [roll0]
Spot [roll1] ((I hope I don't spot any seagulls, they're annoying))

Imbasel
2008-02-23, 06:51 PM
Brady looks around and smiles. I will begin working on lean too's now." If somebody could harvest some wood with me that would be gerat."

Brady will be building a lean too taking a 10

10+6= 16

Yeah, we got 100 xp. From now on presume that I will be making lean toos every single week.

storyteller
2008-02-23, 07:35 PM
Yes, there are enough large rocks to start "mining" for construction stones. Metal ore, however, is almost impossible to find near your current location on the island.


Given the amount of food being pulled in, Ovias will spend the week "mining" for construction stones, for a total of 7 gp worth of stone. He uses some of that stone to create salt works (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt) during his free time that should allow anyone with survival to salt some of the meat and fish, as well as improve food quality by allowing us to salt the cooking.

Assuming Eric does help him (as he agreed to do), he would pull in a further 5.5 gp, for a combined total of 12.5 gp

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 07:35 PM
Brady looks around and smiles. I will begin working on lean too's now." If somebody could harvest some wood with me that would be gerat."

Brady will be building a lean too taking a 10

10+6= 16

Yeah, we got 100 xp. From now on presume that I will be making lean toos every single week.

OOC: I don't think we have enough wood for you to work. 8 gp of work requires 26 sp of wood, and no-one has collected that much. Ovias has a similar problem, which is why he' collecting stone before actually building anything with it. Zavulon has offered to help with resources - if you both collect wood this week, you should be able to work on the lean-tos next week (and Ovias will help with stone).

lawful_evil
2008-02-23, 08:26 PM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

After a week on the beach and in the woods, Epswitch's egg white bald head is becoming more of a chrome dome. Being stranded on this island hasn't made the little man any more angry, if anything, he's become happier and occasionally has been seen with a smile on his face.

Epswitch has been devoting most of his time to tending his chickens. He's been allowing 2 dozen of his chickens to build up a collection of eggs in the hopes that he'll be able to hatch a new flock and allow some of the existing ones to be consumed. He's been using the eggs from the other chicken to feed himself and Larry.

Chickens don't really need much tending, except to corral them together in the camp for safety at night, so Epswitch spends most of his time wander the woods nearby collecting firewood and the occasional straight stick. These straight sticks, each about 4-5 feet long, he has been using to build a slight 'wall' around the chicken nesting area. The process is slow and the wall isn't secure or stable, but it lets the chickens know what area is theirs. The wall is really just a bunch of sticks in a line buried nearly halfway into the dirt.

If these humans keep killing all the small game in the area, soon there won't be enough for the larger predators and they will turn to us for food... and we may run out of small game altogether.

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 09:56 PM
Maria

After a week of fairly normal foraging, Maria had collected enough food for herself and one other. Not great, but far from bad. In her free time, she also does small things to help others, not asking if they need the help and leaving before they can thank her. It's usually as simple as grabbing the other end of something that someone is carrying or helping lift the wooden frame for the communal shelter.

Maria walks up to Epswitch and offers him a wide-brimmed hat made out of cut palm fronds and lashed together with a strip of cloth torn from the ankle of her pants. It's someone conical, similar in appearance to the straw hats of east asia. "Your head is sunburned," she says before walking off into the forest.

She uses the same strategy she did last week, exploring as deeply as she can into the forest while foraging. This week, she's looking specifically for a cave, though she wouldn't ignore something else of interest. Her survival check for the foraging she engages in while exploring is 12, taking 10.

TwoCents
2008-02-23, 11:35 PM
Roostin Truckleman

Roostin was slightly below average height for a human, but with the sturdy build common to successful sailors. His light brown hair had bleached blond with the sun, and was cut short to avoid the vermin common to shipboard life; he was clean shaven for the same reason. His blue eyes shifted towards grey when he was tired, and his skin had the permanent tan of someone who spent all of his days on the ocean. He had a few scars from his rough and tumble life at sea, but the most prominent marks were the laugh lines on his face.
---
Roostin made a point of locating the bodies of any of his crewmates and burying them together in one section of the mass grave. He practiced all the superstitions to keep sailors at peace in their burial site despite being interred in ... dirt. Roostin mumbled a few words over the grave site, came to attention, and blew his bosun's pipe in salute.

After the burial was completed, he went and stood at the water's edge, staring out at sea until his eyes burned from the glare of the sun on the water -- or at least, that was the reason he told himself for the tears running down his face.

Eventually, he got himself back under control and headed back towards where the main group seemed to be gathering. "Watches? Of course; Ah've stood port and stahboard watch* since Ah was a boy, so put me on where you need me. Ah may need someone to help me stay awake, though."

[*OOC: 4 hours on duty, 4 hours off]

On watch:

Feat: Alertness
Spot +4
Listen +4


"Ah'm going to be going to the ship to fetch whut we can, but Ah ain't no particular good at finding food. Ah can help rig a shelter on the deck, er, the ground, right quick, and Ah can rig ropes and whutever you want, but ah don't know nothing about keeping chickens."

He looked around for a minute and then went over to where Ovias and Mara were talking. Lowering his voice, he asked, "Er, Ah don't want ta seem for'rard, but who's in charge? We need a captain or somebody if'n we ain't gonna get confused on whut we're doing. Who was in charge of all y'all colonists?"

Resource check:

Roostin worked on the shelter, if there was enough wood. He spent all available time salvaging ANYTHING that washed up from the wreck (including driftwood) and trying to make the tent stronger and sturdier.

Take 10 on Profession: Sailor to salvage (13)
Take 10 on Craft:Shipbuilder to start building a shelter (14)

[OOC: And it's still Saturday!]

Shademan
2008-02-24, 05:35 AM
whenever not fishing or raoming for ore, Zavulon helps "that human" with felling trees and generally getting wood.

Lonna
2008-02-24, 05:38 AM
Mara Herbswife


Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer
Hmmm...I bend to your wisdom, lady. Normally, I would resist your assumption that I am unfit for any duty, but my aches and pains argue with you. I have lived through much worse than this, however, and I will take my watch tomorrow night.

"Good sir, I do not doubt your ability," answered Mara diplomatically. "I merely wish to ensure your full recovery. I assure you, had anyone else washed ashore in similar condition, I would insist that they too take no watch this first night."


Roostin Truckleman
Lowering his voice, he asked, "Er, Ah don't want ta seem for'rard, but who's in charge? We need a captain or somebody if'n we ain't gonna get confused on whut we're doing. Who was in charge of all y'all colonists?"

Mara thought for a moment, looking puzzled. "I don't think anyone was officially in charge," she answered. "We were going to an established colony, so there didn't seem to be a need to determine any formal roles ahead of time. As for who is in charge now... <Ovias,> I guess that would be you. So far you have been the one getting people organized. Even the halfling listens to you sometimes."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 07:15 AM
He looked around for a minute and then went over to where Ovias and Mara were talking. Lowering his voice, he asked, "Er, Ah don't want ta seem for'rard, but who's in charge? We need a captain or somebody if'n we ain't gonna get confused on whut we're doing. Who was in charge of all y'all colonists?"

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"I am not surre, neighbourr", answers Ovias, "I have been giving suggestions that have been followed, forr the most parrt. Howeverr, I verry much doubt that humans will continue to listen to a dwarrf once the shock wearrs off. Besides, I have no patience forr command, particularly of a grroup in this cirrcumstance. I would do it if the grroup is in dangerr frrom disorrganization, but I rratherr not"

Thinking for a second, he adds, "As a dwarrf, I would look forr the ancients forr leaderrship, but I do not know Masterr Himmerrharrdt that well. Furrtherrmorre," he adds, sounding like an avalanche with that particular word, "I would think that the prracticality of Mara, the healerr, may be best suited forr the job, helped by the fact that we all have learrnt to listen to what the doctorr says."

"Do not think, though, that this rrefugee camp will be like a ship orr the arrmy. We will most likely debate and offerr good and bad ideas, and the leaderr will choose between them, and not so much tells us what we have to do."


As for who is in charge now... <Ovias,> I guess that would be you. So far you have been the one getting people organized. Even the halfling listens to you sometimes."

"I do agrree I have been the one getting everryone orrganised. Idleness irrritates me, forr it is not the dwarrven way, and I will continue to trry to get everryone moving in useful dirrections rregarrdless of who is in "charrge", I supose. If that makes me the leaderr, so be it"

storyteller
2008-02-24, 07:19 AM
WEEK 2

Deceased


Thomas Green [Shadow Mask]
Cook Kurt [Comedian]
Fred Astari [Tichrondrius]
Indira [Cade Shadow]
Tessa O'har [Gig_Complex]
Aaron Addison [Deepblue706]
Dav Brindle [North]
Mark [nothingclever]


Weekly challenge - The Encampment

This week your main task is to discuss whether you should build a palisade as someone suggested or maybe go looking for caves, or whether it's better to stay near the beach or near the pond, for example. Once you've decided, I'll give you more instructions. Make the decision by Wednesday!

Also, now you can loot the bodies of the deceased PCs (see Lonna's list)! I don't care how you divvy up the gear but I suggest that one person makes a list of everything you've looted and then you can call dibs on individual items.


Other things to consider

Any volunteers to take care of calculating resources?
The salvage party found out something unsettling about the shipwreck... perhaps this is worth discussing in-character


Optional quest - Piggy Hunt

While exploring the area surrounding your camp site, Maria finds boar prints. Judging by the size of the prints, they belong to a young specimen. After eating fish, fruits, and squirrels and other small game, maybe it would be nice to have a wild boar steak! Not to mention that it's a great opportunity to earn some xp!

Max. 8 commoners. If there are more than 8 volunteers, those not involved in the Sunken Ship quest will be given priority.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3978536#post3978536).

Btw, the Sunken Ship continues normally until completed. If you get killed, there'll be continuity issues, but let's not worry about that yet.

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 08:35 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

Having survived for a week, Epswitch figured whatever he was doing was working, so he looked to continue(without the another shipwreck of course). Now this sailor guy wanted to change things. Who was in charge? I'm all for things being orderly.. and things here are a bit chaotic for me. But, I don't like other people telling me what to do. Bleh. If I'd wanted that I've have joined the army or navy or something.

When Epswitch heard about the boar, he decided it was time to sign up for something. The bald halfling approached Larry first, "Larry. I think I'm going to try and help out with this boar hunt. Could you keep an eye on my livestock and such while I'm gone? Hopefully it won't take more than a day or two, I can pay you 6 eggs per day. How's that sound?"

borninbones
2008-02-24, 08:58 AM
"I'll take care of 'em and Ya don hav tah wohry bout payin me. I thinken they just com munity propahty." He looks around the area, "fo dah greatah good an all."

Actions
taking care of animals
handle animal taking 10+7= 17.

In evenings, take care of animals
handle animal taking 10+7= 17.

Shademan
2008-02-24, 09:14 AM
OOC: i think we should wait discussin what we found in the wreck 'til after we see if everyone survived.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 09:36 AM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias woke up to a new morning, having slept uneasily. The ground was pleasently hard - particularly once he had started to use one of the collected stones as a pillow - but the lack of walls made peaceful sleep impossible. It had been a week since the shipwreck, and whilst they did have a ceiling in case it rained, he was going to need more than that. Hopefully the Talls would agree.

He got up, and took some time to attend to his morning needs, including cleaning himself and rubbing down with sand. He survayed the stone collected by him and Eric the previous week, and he was proud. The human had turned out to be a decent collector. I must remember to thank him for his help. It was enough for a small wall, but after another week, they'd be ready for something big enough to house them, he felt.

<Maybe Maria will find a cave, and we can use the stone for building a proper wall around the entrance, intead of having to create a whole house.> He muttered to himself while waiting for most of the group to slowly wake up <If not, well, it cannot be helped, we will have to make do with thin walls and sail ceilings. Not much of an improvement over no walls, but an improvement nonetheless>

Seeing several of the group already up and about, Ovias once again calls for a meeting, and says, "Beforre we each go to our morrning tasks, we should considerr morre perrmanent encampment. No need to decide now, but we should all think about it and rreach a decision tonight. As you all now, I am parrcial to finding a cave, and I am verry grrateful to Marria, that is looking for one", he says, bowing his scarred head to Maria, "but I am nothing if not rrealistic, and if we do not find a cave, we must considerr otherr options. Building stone walls that we then coverr with the sails is a good second choice, but we need to find somewherre we can clearr of trrees. We should build close to the frresh waterr, but making surre we are not on any game trrails, orr we will be botherred by animals going to get waterr day in and day out."

He could tell several people were wanting to talk, or leave, so he kept it short to end, "So, in shorrt, we should look forr such a place. Marria is doing a good job, but morre people searrching will find things fasterr. I am not much of an explorrer, and I'm collecting materials to build whateverr we end up doing, but maybe some of you can help Marria?"

Remembering what he had thought about Eric earlier, he then sought him and claping him in the back, he says, "Good day, Erric. Thank you forr yourr help last week - yourr willingness has rreally helped make ourr collection a success. I will be happy to have you help me again, too. Howeverr, maybe this week you could help searrch forr a place like the one I descrribed? It is an imporrtant job, and one I cannot perrforrm well, so I'd rratherr entrrust it to someone I know can do a full day of worrk."

Actions for the week:
If we don't find a cave: collect stones (7 gp worth)
If we do find a cave: collect stones until I hear about it (of course), then go to the cave to appraise it.
Obviously, if some other major discovery is done, I may cut my work short too to act diferently.

OOC: I agree, lets wait until the end of the sunken ship quest before talking. Besides, there may be new revelations waiting for us in the hold (was the fire premeditated?). Anyone curious can check the quest thread, in the mean time.

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 11:45 AM
Epswitch (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)

Epswitch's jaw just drops as he looks at Larry. Finally he says, "That may be fine for your chickens, but not the ones I brought with me. I don't have much in the way of valuable skills, not of value here anyway. I don't intend to just intend to give up all that is mine and submit to someones pseudo-communistic utopia. If it is all the same to you, I will pay you. You may donate the eggs to the food supply or eat them yourself, or provide them to the community chickens to raise, your choice. Is that acceptable?"

If I don't look out for me, know one else will.

{{ OOC : What sort of environment do we think we are in? Is it going to snow/etc in the winter? How long till then? }}

borninbones
2008-02-24, 12:22 PM
Larry looks suprised at the man. In the last community he was in, everyone worked towards the greater good. He shook his head and then looked back at the man. "Very well, six eggs it is."

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 01:10 PM
Roostin woke up when the morning sun reached his eyes. Long years of sleeping in the dank crew decks of a ship had trained him to wake up immediately when someone shone a light in his eyes, and he hopped out of his hammock and started the day. First, washing up. Salt water would do for that. Then, a drink of his water ration from the barrel. Then, looking for a bit of food from the collected supplies. Used to short rations, he was careful to take only his share and no more. Once breakfast was over, he would roll up his bedding and stow his hammock out of the way, and then resume his chores for the day.

Guard duty on rotation was always the first task on his calendar. It was a job he knew he could do and one the gave him a sense of order in this madness. It reminded him of the community of the ship and gave him hope that they could all, eventually, get off this dirtball.

In the rest of his waking time he continued trying to salvage things. If possible, he harvested wood to use for construction.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-24, 03:35 PM
Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer (http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7615)

Janson awakes before dawn and walks down to the ocean. He washes himself in the shallows and has a bit of a splash-about. Bracing.

Returning to his "bed" such as it is--his coat laid out on the sand--he readies himself for the day.

When Mara awakes, Janson approaches him.

Lady, few enough of us have survived, and those who have, especially me, owe you a debt of gratitude. You have made friends here, I reckon. I have heard the question of leadership come up a time or two this week, among other questions, and it's time we found answers.

That being said, I think it's time for us to palaver. There is much to discuss. I don't get around as fast as you do. Would you see to it that the entire group meet on the beach near the tent at sundown? I'll arrange for a bonfire suitable for a meeting of this import.


This done, he approaches Greybeard.

Master Greybeard, I see things are coming along nicely with our preparations for a long stay on this island. You are one who can get things done. I have noticed your efficiency and your strong will. There will be a meeting tonight, at which we may decide both the leadership of this group and the our path from this point onward. Would you please organize some sort of foraging group to gather wood for a proper fire? It wouldn't have to be much, just enough to light and heat our palaver tonight. A good fire brings cheer. I'm afraid I lack the strength to be of any help myself, but I'll be glad to light the fire once the wood is gathered.


OC:
Weekly activities: searching for food during the day, Survival: take 10+3=13
As he searches for food, Janson looks for berries with which to make ink as well as chicken feathers to use as quill pens. If he finds any likely animals in his search, he will try to tame them. Storytellter, Let me know, and I'll try Handle Animal

Roll for watch duty Spot 1d20+6 Listen [roll0]

Zed's Dead
2008-02-24, 03:36 PM
OOC:
Sorry. My Spot roll didn't work.

Spot (again) [roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 04:04 PM
Master Greybeard, I see things are coming along nicely with our preparations for a long stay on this island. You are one who can get things done. I have noticed your efficiency and your strong will. There will be a meeting tonight, at which we may decide both the leadership of this group and the our path from this point onward. Would you please organize some sort of foraging group to gather wood for a proper fire? It wouldn't have to be much, just enough to light and heat our palaver tonight. A good fire brings cheer. I'm afraid I lack the strength to be of any help myself, but I'll be glad to light the fire once the wood is gathered.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"It will be done, Masterr Himmerrharrdt," answers Ovias with a deep bow.

As promised to the elder, Ovias will spend the afternoon time collecting firewood for this purpose and also accumulating some more for the days to come, together with anyone that cares to go with him. He will also spend some time preparing the fireplace, i.e. cleaning out the fireplace ares of plants and placing stones to further reduce the danger of fire.

OOC: I believe I can get away with using the "free time" of afternoon for this purpose because the amount of wood needed for a fireplace is ridiculous (1 cp). The amount of wood recovered won't be enough for even the smallest construction, I asume. Survival (takes 10) = 12.

Daryk
2008-02-24, 04:10 PM
When exactly during the week will the boar hunt take place? I ask because Tano should be finished with his shortbow and arrows about half way through the week, and I think that's a much safer way to hunt a boar.

Tano

Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."
Noting some of the less than pleased looks around the circle, he added, "It's not that I'm against harvesting what we need from the forest. I'm against making unnecessary work for ourselves, and wastage. We can afford neither."

After the shelter discussion had wound down, but before everyone left, he asked one last question: "Who knows how to use a bow? I will finish a shortbow and some arrows this week, but will need to gather materials for any more. If there is no one, I can devote myself more fully to tasks about the camp or exploring the island."

sickler
2008-02-24, 05:00 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)

Ben decides he'll have a simple look-see of the surrounding wilderness today, taking along one of his rations, a torch and what's in his belt pouch.

Survival (to not get lost): [roll0]

Optional checks for the DM to use (hopefully he picks the big numbers)
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Search: [roll3]
Climb: [roll4]

Lonna
2008-02-24, 05:07 PM
Lady, few enough of us have survived, and those who have, especially me, owe you a debt of gratitude. You have made friends here, I reckon. I have heard the question of leadership come up a time or two this week, among other questions, and it's time we found answers.

That being said, I think it's time for us to palaver. There is much to discuss. I don't get around as fast as you do. Would you see to it that the entire group meet on the beach near the tent at sundown? I'll arrange for a bonfire suitable for a meeting of this import.

Mara Herbswife

"Master Himmerhardt, I will of course spread word of the bonfire tonight. I cannot ensure everyone will come," she added, thinking of the halfling. "Too, if you mean to suggest that I should take formal leadership of the group, I should tell you that others have suggested the same. I personally believe <Ovias> to be a better choice of leader, but nevermind. I will pass along your message to all I see."

OOC: For the first half of the week Mara will gather medicinal herbs. For the second half of the week she will gather edible plants.
1d20+3
1d20+1
Knowledge (nature) 10+3
Survival 10+3

Lonna
2008-02-24, 05:17 PM
Re-rolling Spot and Listen checks for my watch:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 05:28 PM
Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."

"Mater Currunda," Ovias answers politely, if a bit stiffly, "I see yourr point, but as I said, we should wait forr tonight. Elder Himmerrharrdt has called forr a generral meeting, and so have I. We do not yet know if we will find any caves nearr the waterr, so anything we say is purre speculation - you asume it is taken by dangerrous creaturres, but in any forrest therre is 20 herrbivorres one forr each carrnivorre. Shall we wait until we have facts beforre clouding the issue? If we find nocaves, it is pointless. Same if we find them empty, orr inhabited by bunnies."

Thinking of stopping there, Ovias realices that the elf's point of view deserves a fair chance, and thus he should have some time to think about the worst problem in his own idea, so he continues, "Furrtherrmorre, yourr own idea has a majorr prroblem: those of us that know how to build do not know how to build arround trrees like yourr kind does. It rrequirres verry carreful measurrements and fitting to prrevent leaking. I cannot achieve that level of perrfection, and we would have to destrroy our sails to achieve it, which is not a good idea. I am not trrying to discourrage you, all ideas will be hearrd if I can have it that way, and I will do my best to build what we decide to in the end, but even a simple housing like what we arre planning rrequirres foundatins which arre difficult when therre are rroots, and even morre so when therre arre trrees. The idea is not without merrit, but maybe it rrequirres a little morre thought. As I have said severral times, lets find the location firrst, then decide what we shall build"

OOC: The hunting will take place sometime during the week. If the bow is finished by then, do bring it along. Asuming we come back from the ship, you will also likely have a nice rapier to match, since I think you're the only one that can use those two weapons.

Sicarius
2008-02-24, 05:31 PM
Imbrallius

Taking 10 on my spot/listen checks for watch, for a grand total of 11, each.

"Well, well, that's that." Imbrallius finished writing his latest list with a flourish. It was up to him to make sure all inventory was well taken care of.

They had enough food. Shelter was the biggest problem now. There was going to be a decision made, and frankly, Imbrallius didn't like either option, since both had glaring problems. A cave could be inhabitated, and might not be large enough for the entire group in either case, and building a shelter was going to take more time than healthy, leaving them exposed to disease. Not to mention that they had little in the way of resources to harvest lumber. A decent two-person saw was nowhere to be found, and axes were difficult, even given the conditions of the lumber.

Ovias had been helpful in organizing shelter. That was Imbrallius's biggest concern right now. Leaving themselves without shelter risked disease, and that would wreak havoc on the already ill-suited group.

He needed to get people more organized into shelter and food groups. Materials needed to be harvested, but that would be useless if they decided on a cave. The decision needed to be made now, before any more time was lost.

Imbrallius went to his next list. Food distribution was key.

Imbrallius's List No. 3 - Food Acquisition

Scavenged Supplies - Initial Shipwreck
1 gal. cooking oil
1 gal. cooking wine
2 lb. beans
1 lb. salt
1 lb. corn
2 loaves bread
53 lb. flour
10 lb. wheat
65 servings trail rations

Epswitch's food is not listed here.

Scavenged Supplies - From the Ship
(OOC: I haven't read the Sunken Ship quest to avoid meta-knowledge. Probably nothing, but will fill in if there is)

Foraged Supplies
203 days worth of food/person

Consumed Supplies
154 days worth of food/person

Total Surplus/Defecit
49 days worth of food/person - 7 people are fed for this week. Check with Master Ovias for rottage.

Epswitch's Food - Don't expect him to contribute it. Will bargain if necessary
2 gal. ale
2 lb. cheese
1 lb. meat
20 loaves bread

Looking towards his next list, he sighed with it's smaller progress.

Imbrallius's List No. 4 - Resource Acquisition/Activity List
12.5 stone - Ovias (7), Eric (5.5)
19.5 wood - Brady (8), Roostin (6.5), Imbrallius (5)
Animals - Feln, Epswitch

Current Shelter Plans - Lifeboat w/canvas. Cave or Palisade? Must decide quickly!

Then the final list.
Imbrallius's List No. 5

Goods

Containers
17 sacks (I can spare one of mine for 18)
8 iron pots
6 clay jugs
4 baskets
5 flasks
3 barrels
2 buckets
2 chests
4 clay mugs
1 tankard
1 vial

Oil
18 pints

Construction
17 sq. yards canvas
10 pieces chalk
2 shovels
2 block and tackles
2 pints tar
5 hammers

Crafting Equipment
6 whetstones
2 sewing needles
2 miner's picks
1 pouch with odd things inside it - What is this?

Fishing
3 fish nets (25 sq. ft. ea.)
44 fish hooks
1 set fishing gear

Rope
700 ft. hemp rope
10 ft. silk rope

Writing
78 sheets parchment
10 inkpens
11 sheets used parchment (5 letters + 5 lists + 1 scroll)
6 vials ink
3 scroll cases
1 sheet paper
1 lb. sealing wax

Healer's Equipment
7 lb. soap

Miscellaneous
4 signal whistles

Cloth Goods
14 bedrolls
6 winter blankets

Spare Clothing
2 traveler's outfits
1 explorer's outfit

Epswitch - May be troublesome
50 ft. hemp rope
8 spare clothes
5 clay mugs
4 ladders
4 sq. yards canvas
2 iron pots
2 bedrolls
2 blankets
2 hammers
1 sack
1 shovel

He had taken the liberty of taking the possessions of the ones who died. Once Mara had ascertained their death, Imbrallius ensured that their clothing was taking as well. It may have made him look like a vulture, but they needed the cloth.

The things that they had on them were acquired for common use. Simple things like sacks and buckets were a no-brainer. At the meeting that the aged Jason seemed to be planning, he would make a fuller report. Right now, he wanted to talk to Ovias.

"I've compiled this list, Master Greybeard. It seems we're doing alright for food consumption. I'm of the opinion we need to devote more time to resource gathering in order to build a shelter. I'm no woodcutter, easily the slowest of the three that we have gathering wood. Perhaps we should propose some sort of plan in a bit more formal. We've been here a week, and I don't want our excess food supplies to attract any predators. And we need to decide on the living arrangements now. Ideally, we'll need a place for Mara to work, bless her, so that a disease, if it breaks out, will not spread."

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 05:35 PM
When exactly during the week will the boar hunt take place? I ask because Tano should be finished with his shortbow and arrows about half way through the week, and I think that's a much safer way to hunt a boar.

Tano

Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."
Noting some of the less than pleased looks around the circle, he added, "It's not that I'm against harvesting what we need from the forest. I'm against making unnecessary work for ourselves, and wastage. We can afford neither."

After the shelter discussion had wound down, but before everyone left, he asked one last question: "Who knows how to use a bow? I will finish a shortbow and some arrows this week, but will need to gather materials for any more. If there is no one, I can devote myself more fully to tasks about the camp or exploring the island."

Maria approaches Tano and explains to him, "I know how to use a longbow. I'm a skilled bowyer and a trained lumberjack. I could provide you with help if you need it, and a longbow would be great help to me in protecting the camp and hunting."

Daryk
2008-02-24, 05:48 PM
Tano

"While it's true we have no tree-shaper, are we sure we'll be here long enough to merit building a full-blown foundation?" Tano asked. Considering for a moment, he added, "But you are right, Master Greybeard. We must know more about our temporary home before coming to a decision."

Ninja'd by Maria!

Tano
To Maria:
"A longbow? Hmmm. That will require much work. I lost all of my longest staves in the wreck, so we'll have to start by finding a suitable tree, or hoping we find one washing up on the beach. Once we've gathered the necessary materials, even with two of us working, I expect it will take the better part of a month. Still, it's worth discussing at the bonfire tonight, I think," Tano replied.

I base my calculations on Tano taking 10, with Maria "aiding another" to yield a 20. That provides 20x12=240 sp=24 gp of progress per week we do nothing else (and I think we can squeeze in the other 1 gp of work to round it down to three weeks total, if the DM is willing). If Tano works on it alone, that will be 21.6 gp of progress per week, or three and a half weeks total. Of course, none of this factors in the length of time required to gather 25 gp of materials. At best, I think that'll be another week. Worst case, two weeks. So overall, 4-6 weeks of bow manufacture for a longbow. Tano's willing to do it as long as he gets fed, and would negotiate for a further 4-6 weeks of food to make a longbow of his own.

On a completely different note: a rapier?? I didn't expect that at all. Too bad I can't use it at the same time I'm 60 feet away with the shortbow...

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 11:26 AM
Maria

She uses the same strategy she did last week, exploring as deeply as she can into the forest while foraging. This week, she's looking specifically for a cave, though she wouldn't ignore something else of interest. Her survival check for the foraging she engages in while exploring is 12, taking 10.


In response to Maria's question, Gil shrugs his shoulders. He writes quickly, haphazardly in the sand "Gil", and says his name. "Island's too quiet". He takes a sidelong glance at the rest of the group on the beach, and then begins to walk with Maria into the woods.

Gil will spend this week as he did the last, accompanying the huntress while she forages. Similar to last week, Gil assist(+2) Maria's search for food or materials, and also look for telltales of intelligent life and suitable shelter.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Survival: Assist Maria


As Gil cannot directly vocalize danger and a whistle is hardly fair warning, he will not take any watch. There is no replacement for a good night's sleep.

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 12:28 PM
:smallannoyed: Pardon me. Gil will attempt to [roll0] Maria

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 02:15 PM
Imbrallius
"I've compiled this list, Master Greybeard. It seems we're doing alright for food consumption. I'm of the opinion we need to devote more time to resource gathering in order to build a shelter. I'm no woodcutter, easily the slowest of the three that we have gathering wood. Perhaps we should propose some sort of plan in a bit more formal. We've been here a week, and I don't want our excess food supplies to attract any predators. And we need to decide on the living arrangements now. Ideally, we'll need a place for Mara to work, bless her, so that a disease, if it breaks out, will not spread."

"I agrree, master Imbrrallius, on everry count," answers Ovias, "Thank you forr yourr diligence. If I have anything to say on the matter, Mara will get a place to use as infirrmerry, and I have my own plans for Zavulon and me to prractice ourr crraft, and even morre... but all that will come laterr, when the immediate urrgent needs arre taken carre of."

"And yes, we need to step up the gatherring of rresourrces. I see if I can get someone to help me, although ourr prriorrity would be to find the campsite, and I am rreluctant to drraw any people frrom that task. That said, maybe Gil will be willing to help me with my collection of building stones. His strrength will be put to betterr use than by trrying to hunt"

"Finally, I see you have made a note about spoilage. My salt stones arre prroducing a lot of salt, but if we need morre, they werre not harrd to build, so I can build some morre in my frree afternoon time. I would rrecommend we eat all vegetables everry week, and salt fish and meat that we don't need immediately."

OOC: smartaleq, even if you'd rather collect food than resources, you should be able to use trapmaking instead of survival, sort of like we can use fishing or hunting instead of it, and that should improve your numbers quite a bit.

storyteller
2008-02-25, 06:05 PM
OOC:

Yes, Tano, you can use the bow in the Piggy Hunt quest.

Lonna
2008-02-25, 06:38 PM
OOC: In light of current events in the shipwreck thread, I just want to officially note that during the time Mara is not gathering food or herbs and is not accompanying the hunting party, she is providing long-term care for injured members of the group (Heal 10+8).

Daryk
2008-02-25, 06:42 PM
Tano

As the morning grouping broke up, Tano spotted a barrel washing ashore. Walking down to the surf to recover it, he was knocked flat by its weight. Sputtering and standing up, he made another attempt, braced this time. He found it nearly impossible to lift, and so timed rolling it up the beach with the waves. Once beyond the tug of the retreating water, he waved up the beach for some help to move the barrel inland to the camp. Once there, he found Imbrallius so it could be properly inventoried. As the trove was withdrawn item by item, Tano asked, "Imbrallius, do you think it would be all right if I claimed the mug and a small piece of that soap?"

Daryk
2008-02-25, 06:47 PM
OOC:

Yes, Tano, you can use the bow in the Piggy Hunt quest.

OOC: Woo hoo! Let me get over there right away...

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 07:37 PM
OOC: smartaleq, even if you'd rather collect food than resources, you should be able to use trapmaking instead of survival, sort of like we can use fishing or hunting instead of it, and that should improve your numbers quite a bit.

At the suggestion that he might help haul stones, Gil stifles a giggle. He waves his arm across the beach, then points to the make-shift dwelling. He then points inland with some insistence. Realizing no-one understands, Gil begins to gets flustered. He sits down, takes a drink from one of the buried passenger's clay mugs. He calls the dwarf over and begins to draw a picture.

Gil first draws two large, concentric circles, and marks one spot with an X, showing the groups location on the beach of the island. He then draws a house near the X, and a stack of circles(rocks, most likely). In the middle of the circle he draws a stick figure with a spear, a question mark, and a house. He points to Grey, and to the rocks and house on the beach. He then points to himself, and then the question mark, figure, and house in the center.
Satisfied you understand his priorities, he gets up to return to his work. Its evident he is relieved to get that off his chest.


OOC to Grey:
Rocks moved now may have to be moved again! As for trapping, I'd rather be more mobile, and spend time looking for bigger dangers, we have people handling food and shelter fairly well. We don't have much in the way of exploration - and if there is the possibility of a first contact with natives/sentient evil I'd like to see it sooner rather than later.

Also, could we (everyone) use spoiler tags for directed OOC, and things that might generate meta-knowledge. I'd appreciate it.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-25, 07:45 PM
Also, could we (everyone) use spoiler tags for directed OOC, and things that might generate meta-knowledge. I'd appreciate it.


Good idea.

Sicarius
2008-02-25, 10:01 PM
Imbrallius

Imbrallius properly calculated everything into his list. "No assignments of anything until we have someone in charge of resources, and for that, we need a leader or a temporary appointment. I'm sorry, please wait until tonight."

The clerk then turns to Imbrallius. "Very well then. I will keep these lists updated until I run out of parchment. Then I suppose I shall simply commit them to memory. At the meeting tonight I am going to propose someone take the task of quartermaster. I believe you would be well-suited for the role, if you would accept it."

storyteller
2008-02-26, 05:11 AM
The hunters have explored the area surrounding your camp but they haven't found any caves, at least not within a half mile radius of the camp. Just seemingly endless expanses of forest.

Maria, however, makes an interesting find while exploring the forest. Atop a small treeless hillock, she discovers a circle of stones about 5' in diameter. Inside the stone circle, she sees burnt wooden objects and bones... not animal bones... human bones?

Shademan
2008-02-26, 05:32 AM
Zavuon wakes up late. His wound are healing nicely but now he have a big scar where the squid bit him. [roll0] with his rather crappy fishing skills he tries each day to get something to eat from the ocean.
Zavulon generally helps around whenever its needed and spends his spare time searching for alloy (again)
[roll1] <search. or: [roll2] <survival

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 11:32 AM
The hunters have explored the area surrounding your camp but they haven't found any caves, at least not within a half mile radius of the camp. Just seemingly endless expanses of forest.

Maria, however, makes an interesting find while exploring the forest. Atop a small treeless hillock, she discovers a circle of stones about 5' in diameter. Inside the stone circle, she sees burnt wooden objects and bones... not animal bones... human bones?

Gil, who has been accompanying Maria daily, will scan the woods, looking for anything moving or alive [roll0]. Then will very carefully search(with net readied) the woods around the circle, and then the circle itself. Take 20+0 on search, with synergy for finding traps.

If un-eventful, Gil will attempt to ascertain how long since the fire was lit, or help Maria do the same. ([roll1])


OOC:
Also, can we get a separate thread for the meeting - set it up Himmerhardt - and lets try to get discussion along quickly, deadline is Wednesday. When the thread is up, I'll post which characters I support/oppose the housing ideas of, and who I support for leadership position. I recommend others do the same, so that a consensus can be reached asap.

Edit: Made it myself - Meeting Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73529)

jagadaishio
2008-02-26, 01:55 PM
Maria

As Gil looks around the hillock for any traps or people, Maria begins examining the area more closely. She tries to see how long ago the fire pit was last lit [roll0] and makes a long search around the hill, focusing on the area around the fire pit, to see if she can find any viable tracks (taking 20, result of 21).

storyteller
2008-02-26, 05:22 PM
No fresh tracks can be found near the stone circle. No traps either. The fire was lit at least two weeks ago, could 1-4 months even.

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 05:44 PM
I'd like to carefully examine the bones, respectfully, in order to make a guess at the age/sex/species of the victim. (take 10 against INT/Knowledge check)

Daryk
2008-02-26, 05:58 PM
Tano

When Tano heard about the "fire pit", he resolved to explore it when he finished his work for the day. Late in the afternoon, he found himself atop the hill, poking about, wondering if perhaps this had been a funeral pyre.

Search: [roll0] (+2 for Elf, +1 for INT)
The roller hates me today, I see.

Daryk
2008-02-26, 06:09 PM
Tano

Dissatisfied with his initial cursory examination, Tano took some time and thoroughly searched the area.

Taking 20 this time, for a total result of 23.

storyteller
2008-02-27, 09:19 AM
Tano and others examining the stone circle and the burnt objects and bones inside which notice that the stones bear inscriptions of some kind (You may try to read them if you know languages other than Common, Elven, Dwarven or Halfling).

Some of the bones are long enough to be femurs of adult humans, but it is impossible to tell whether they belonged to humans or some other race with similar bodily proportions. The wooden objects appear to be crude art objects, blocks of wood carved into animal shapes: snakes, alligators and other marshland creatures, and one of them looks like a human-lizard hybrid.

OOC:

And a map, finally!


----???ttttt^--
----.tttttt.---
-----.tttt.----
------..tt.----
--------..-----
---------------

- ocean
. beach
t forest
^ cliffs or other rocky terrain

Important locations:


----???tttot^--
----.ttt+tt.---
-----.tttt.----
------..tt.----
--------.,-----
---------------

, camp
+ pond
o stone circle

smartaleq
2008-02-27, 09:57 AM
Based on the desires expressed at the meeting, Gil will suggest to Maria that we next attempt to explore near the cliffs east of the fire circle.

jagadaishio
2008-02-27, 03:24 PM
Based on the desires expressed at the meeting, Gil will suggest to Maria that we next attempt to explore near the cliffs east of the fire circle.

Maria

Maria agrees that they should try east next. She also tries to read the stones. She speaks Common and Sylvan.

lawful_evil
2008-02-27, 05:08 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch and his flock of chickens continue to live near the pond during the week at the small makeshift tent he setup. For the first couple nights he helps out on watch, but when he realizes that everyone is staying on the beach and that he isn't getting watched while he sleeps, he drops out of the arrangement by simply not showing up one night.

When the team gathers to do the pig hunt, he joins in, having turned over his nesting chickens to Larry for the day while he was gone.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-27, 05:49 PM
Flashback Sequence to the Successful Return from the Shipwreck Quest

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias helps the rest of gorup pull the boat onto the beach. He and the others had to take turns swimming on the sides, since the boat was full of the recovered goods, and was even trailing a makeshift raft with some more things. Although they were all fairly exhausted from the diving, and had managed to scrape themselves here and there, the only person seriously hurt was Zavulon, having been bitten by a squid that had made its nest in the hold. The squid was now dead thanks to the excellent morningstar work by Eric.

Ovias looks around and locates Imbrallius, and walks up to him to let him know the list of useful objects recovered:

• Signet ring
• A wooden box sealed with wax
• A scroll case
• Beautifully crafted rapier
• Courtier's outfit
• 5 dresses (2 x blue, pink, green, white)
• 2 fresh water barrels that seem to be intact.
• 3 small barrels of bee
• A crate full of rations (50).
• Hooded lantern
• A small barrel of oil (6 pints)
• Handaxe
• Leather pouch (full of coins)
• Coil of rope (50')
• Saw
• Wooden planks
• Small wooden box full of iron nails
• Hammer
• Bell
• Bottle of wine
• 6 candles
• Clay jug
• 8 clay tankards
• Iron pot
• Sack of potatoes
• Rusty dagger
• 35 sp in a leather pouch
• Small steel mirror
• 1 lb. of soap
• Waterskin
• Sewing needle
• Spool of thread
• Brass horn
• Ship sails, rope
• Small barrel of ale
• 2 bedrolls
• case of 10 crossbow bolts
• silver necklace
• bucket
• soap (2 lb.)
• mops, brushes, etc.
• bottle of rum
• Set of kitchen knives
• Wooden crate with 6 bottles of red wine
• Iron pot
• 12 clay jugs
• Scale, merchant's


He then announces loudly to the group,
"These things will be added to the common goods, just like that we rrecoverred on the firrst day. Howeverr, therre is news to tell that we found out in the ship. We found the captain dead, not by firre but frrom a blade wound to the chest. It seems he was murrderred. We have also found fairrly good evidence that the firre in the hold was intentional, since we found several barrels of lamp oil that can still be recognized as such open, their lids missing or discarded on the floor. We have not found the bodies of the firrst mate orr the captain's daughterr, and once we have rrested I would like to hearr frrom Rroostin what he can tell us about both.

Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use.

Finally, we have found a box sealed in wax, that we darred not open while at sea. As soon as we drry, we will open it."

Actions:

Open the sealed box

Sicarius
2008-02-27, 07:39 PM
Imbrallius

The clerk was surprised that so much could be recovered from the shipwreck. He added the things to the list. He was also getting prepared to move the campsite to the pond, at least temporarily, until they could find more permanent lodging. He made sure he and his quill were ready for when Ovias opened the box.

-At another time-

The halfling had missed his shift. Since the clerk was supposed to be the one standing on watch with him, it made him rather apprehensive. He dares not leave his post, but when his shift is over, he finds Epswitch.

"You didn't stand watch this morning. Is something the matter?"

Daryk
2008-02-27, 08:31 PM
Tano

Having finished his thorough examination of the hill top, a thought occurred to Tano, and he took a good look around standing on the tallest stone.

Taking 20 on a Spot check to see what can see the hill (i.e. any settlements or caves, etc.). Total result: 26.

Daryk
2008-02-27, 08:36 PM
...
Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use...[/COLOR]

Tano

Tano blushed slightly when Ovias mentioned elves being "naturally proficient" with swords. "Ah, I wouldn't say 'naturally', exactly Master Greybeard. It took me decades to satisfy my mother in that regard," he said with a rueful smile.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-27, 09:19 PM
He then announces loudly to the group,
"These things will be added to the common goods, just like that we rrecoverred on the firrst day. Howeverr, therre is news to tell that we found out in the ship. We found the captain dead, not by firre but frrom a blade wound to the chest. It seems he was murrderred. We have also found fairrly good evidence that the firre in the hold was intentional, since we found several barrels of lamp oil that can still be recognized as such open, their lids missing or discarded on the floor. We have not found the bodies of the firrst mate orr the captain's daughterr, and once we have rrested I would like to hearr frrom Rroostin what he can tell us about both.

Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use.

Finally, we have found a box sealed in wax, that we darred not open while at sea. As soon as we drry, we will open it."

[spoiler] (OOC) If this occurred during the first several hours after the shipwreck, please disregard Janson's roleplay, as he was washed ashore at least a mile from the beach where this is taking place.

(IC) Silent until now, Janson steps forward and speaks.

This changes our situation not at all, but the question of why the ship went down is now much more complicated. Perhaps those responsible for our plight have already found a watery grave, but it is possible, however slight, that the captain's killer is either among us or somewhere on this island.

Perhaps the waxed box will shed some light on the cause of our predicament. If it doesn't, I believe we should closely examine the events leading up to the ship's disasterous fire. I would be glad to coax memories from each of us in order to put together a plausable narrative and perhaps a find some answers.

Shademan
2008-02-28, 02:52 AM
"oh great, talk!" Zavulon murmured to himself "prolly gonna be a huge debat and stuff... the green side of me do not approve." mumbling to himself, he went to look over his stuff in his sack. nothing missing? good. "HEY! SOMEONE GOT SOME SPARE CLOTH!? I NEED IT FOR MY BLOOD!" Zavulon shouted and pointed to his wound " ... and where is my pants? "

storyteller
2008-02-28, 03:41 AM
Ovias opens the box. It's a healer's kit!

From the highest point on the hillock, Tano observes the surrounding area. Trees, trees and trees in all directions and cliffs to the east. He can see bigger hills looming in the northeast.

Maria tries to read the writing on the stones, but it is not Sylvan.

Daryk
2008-02-28, 06:20 AM
Tano

Before leaving the hill, Tano did his best to obscure the fact it had been disturbed, and especially any tracks leading to or from it.

Yes, Tano moves at half speed on his way back to the camp. That should be good for a +5 DC to any natives that want to track us back from the hill, since it doesn't seem to require any skill to hide a trail.

Yeril
2008-02-28, 06:27 AM
Grazing through the retreived materials, he picks and admires anything he thinks he could use. He runs his finger along the blade of the kitchen knives, firm enough to feel how sharp they are, but lightly enough not to cut himself.
Putting the knives down he picks up the axe, It was fairly small, wouldn't do too well for woodcutting or the like, although not much use for a hunter either since all weapons need some measure or skill to use. He then mockingly admires the dress, holding the pink one up to himself with a chuckle before putting it back. He then settles on adding the rack of bolts to his belt clip, Hopefuly he would soon get a crossbow made, they were fairly simple if you knew how to they worked and he had taken his to bits several times over.

Action: Take the Pack of 10 bolts (Unless somone objects)

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 07:19 AM
Epswitch

In the morning, when the clerk came up to the lake to Epswitch's tent, Epswitch was up in the trees checking the chicken roosts. Once it became obvious that the clerk intended to talk to Epswitch, he climbed down. After being questioned by the clerk, Epswitch says, "What do I get out of this watch? With the majority of you down at the beach, I don't benefit from everyone else's watch shifts at all. It is also a bit of a hassle, not to mention a trival hazardous to walk all the way down there in the dead of night. Its not like halflings can see in the dark like the elves. I'm asked to risk myself for others when they don't do the same in return. That does not sound like a fair trade to me. If the group wishes to pay me to stand watch... I might consider that."

The next time Epswitch is down at the beach he finds all the community goods, which, after watching how people interact with them, he determines means you take what you want. Not having much in the way of wants, Epswitch is content to simply recover any goods which we actually his. Prior to the trip, when he heard that his cargo would be mixed with everyone elses, he marked everything he was to bring with his symbol. Now, it was simply a matter of checking to see if his mark was carved into this stuff.

{{ Maybe the storyteller can tell me what out of this stuff had been part of Epswitch's gear. That way I can update my character sheet too. }}

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 09:02 AM
Imbrallius

"Oh, so you just decided to stop. Not tell anyone? This isn't how disputes are settled, what if something happened on the shift you decided just not to show up to?"

Also, Imbrallius monitors common goods closely. Common good things usually mean use it if you need it and return it. If Epswitch is taking something, he will have to deal with the clerk.

storyteller
2008-02-28, 09:52 AM
Epswitch
{{ Maybe the storyteller can tell me what out of this stuff had been part of Epswitch's gear. That way I can update my character sheet too. }}

All the stuff on the list was previously owned by NPCs who are now dead. They're now considered common goods; deal with the clerk like Sicarius said. Or steal what you need when the clerk is not watching. :smallamused:

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 10:38 AM
Actually, he said he was only taking stuff that was marked as his. Unless he's gravitating upwards, I think all is cool.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 01:40 PM
Imbrallius

"Oh, so you just decided to stop. Not tell anyone? This isn't how disputes are settled, what if something happened on the shift you decided just not to show up to?"

Also, Imbrallius monitors common goods closely. Common good things usually mean use it if you need it and return it. If Epswitch is taking something, he will have to deal with the clerk.

Seeing this discussion going on, Gil Gil approaches the two and listens.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:09 PM
Imbrallius

"Oh, so you just decided to stop. Not tell anyone? This isn't how disputes are settled, what if something happened on the shift you decided just not to show up to?"

Also, Imbrallius monitors common goods closely. Common good things usually mean use it if you need it and return it. If Epswitch is taking something, he will have to deal with the clerk.

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias, surprised at Imbrallius' unusually angry tone of voice, draws close in time to hear his words. Incensed, he adds
"So that is why you werre not at watch when we awoke this morrning! Arre you completely daft? Was therre no time forr you to let us know yesterrday? Is therre anything even rremotely rresembling a rreason in that head of yourrs that justifies brreaking yourr volunteerrred commitment to watch duty? You need not have volunteerred, and you certainly should not have stopped without letting us know!"

Getting furious at the stupidity of the halfling, Ovias puts his hand on his club - the only thing stopping hims from charging the little idiot is the deep-based belief in the rules and laws, knowing it is not his place to judge. Reciting his patience mantra, he manages to relax somewhat, but continues to watch the halfling, no longer trusting him at all.

Shademan
2008-02-28, 03:20 PM
Zavulon pops up behind Grey and whisper " if yeh want me to beat some respect into that little mutton id gladly do it." Zavulon chuckles to himself

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:46 PM
Zavulon pops up behind Grey and whisper " if yeh want me to beat some respect into that little mutton id gladly do it." Zavulon chuckles to himself

<Friends do not let friends become murderers, Zav,> Ovias answers in dwarfish. He can tell, however, he did mean it at least partly in jest, and the thought brings a slight smile to his left face <For all he complains about the strict rules of my people, I wonder if the little tyke realises that they are the only ones keeping him from becoming even shorter?>

Shademan
2008-02-28, 03:52 PM
Zavulon grins back to the dwarf <didnt mean to kill him... much... hehe!> he scratches his chin which is starting to get beard. <little shrimp should be more thankful...> Zavulon suddenly stares off into the distance and seems to be thinking. hard. < i need a forge...> he sighs.

Lonna
2008-02-28, 03:56 PM
"oh great, talk!" Zavulon murmured to himself "prolly gonna be a huge debat and stuff... the green side of me do not approve." mumbling to himself, he went to look over his stuff in his sack. nothing missing? good. "HEY! SOMEONE GOT SOME SPARE CLOTH!? I NEED IT FOR MY BLOOD!" Zavulon shouted and pointed to his wound " ... and where is my pants? "

Mara Herbswife


Hearing Zavulon's shout, Mara leaves the group clustered around the newly recovered goods to inspect his wound.

"The salt water seems to have cleaned your wound adequately," she tells him. "Let me see if I can persuade Master Imbrallius to give me some of the spare clothes to use as bandages.

{{OOC: I'll assume the clerk agrees to this request.}}


Zavulon pops up behind Grey and whisper " if yeh want me to beat some respect into that little mutton id gladly do it." Zavulon chuckles to himself

<Friends do not let friends become murderers, Zav,> Ovias answers in dwarfish. He can tell, however, he did mean it at least partly in jest, and the thought brings a slight smile to his left face <For all he complains about the strict rules of my people, I wonder if the little tyke realises that they are the only ones keeping him from becoming even shorter?>

<And friends also do not let friends walk around with large wounds,> put in Mara teasingly as she came up behind the pair. Beginning to wrap Zavulon's wound in strips of cloth cut from the extra clothing she carried, she continued, <Ignore the pest; such as he are never satisfied with their lot. They feel that the world owes them a debt, so they need not do anything which does not please them.>

Shademan
2008-02-28, 04:11 PM
<oh the world owe him something allright. a good spanking. some manners and respect is what he need.> Zavulon mumbles something about squids as Mara applied the bandages. <Grey, what do you think? a forge is not impossible? you could make a anvil out of stone and we could re-inforce it with iron later!>

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 04:14 PM
Mara Herbswife<And friends also do not let friends walk around with large wounds,> put in Mara teasingly as she came up behind the pair. Beginning to wrap Zavulon's wound in strips of cloth cut from the extra clothing she carried, she continued, <Ignore the pest; such as he are never satisfied with their lot. They feel that the world owes them a debt, so they need not do anything which does not please them.>

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590)

<Well, friend Mara, what did you expect? It was too wet for dwarven medicine - a red hot iron to the wound!> Ovias answered, this time smiling broadly to show he was, of course, kidding. Turning more serious, and not keeping his eyes away from the halfling, he adds, <Things got dangerous down there. I am glad it was not worse than a squid. We are woefully unprepared for trouble. All we have is numbers, and those are only enough if you are not the one in the front line soaking the damage. You are right, Zav. We need forges. But we need walls and ceilings first. We can build a decent punding surface from the stronger rocks - no need for iron, even. And klins will get us by for melting. We may have to forge bronze at first, though. As good as steel, if done properly, but lasts far less. We should be able to at least provide the elf with arrow heads>

Shademan
2008-02-28, 04:22 PM
Zavulon rubbed his hands eagerly <no, not really. we could make a simple, yet efficient "open" forge. Dad told me about them. they used them in some countries that were to hot to work indoors or something like that.> he started to walk back and forth as he spoke < infact, i think all we need is some decent stone, more stone, and bellows. we have a carpenter, right? and leather? then we can make bellows.> Zavulon displayed all his fangs in a large grin < we only lack ore!> Zavulon stopped and looked dreamingly into the forest.


what Zavulon have in mind. ignore everythin but the forge itself:
http://www.rurallife.plus.com/rlc/download/forge.gif

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 04:25 PM
Epswitch

{{ I really doubt any of you 'overheard' anything as you were down at the beach. Imbrallius may have told people, but you certainly didn't overhear anything.}}

Still near the lake at the area that Epswitch allows chickens to roost, Epswitch continued to tend to his flock while talking to Imbrallius. Once Imbrallius spits out his words, there is a crackle in the bushes as Gil approaches. Epswitch readies his sling in case it is a wild animal. Eventually the sound gets close enough that Gil emerges.

Epswitch says to Imbrallius, you'll have to excuse me, I have business to do. With a friendly smile, Epswitch says to Imbrallius, "Please excuse me, I have business to attend to." Turning to the newcomer, Epswitch says, "Welcome Gil. Come to trade for some eggs? What do you have to trade?"

Lonna
2008-02-28, 04:29 PM
{{OOC: At this point the conversation could be happening independently anyway, so I'm not going to treat it any differently. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency though, Lawful_Evil.}}


Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590)

<Well, friend Mara, what did you expect? It was too wet for dwarven medicine - a red hot iron to the wound!> Ovias answered, this time smiling broadly to show he was, of course, kidding. Turning more serious, and not keeping his eyes away from the halfling, he adds, <Things got dangerous down there. I am glad it was not worse than a squid. We are woefully unprepared for trouble. All we have is numbers, and those are only enough if you are not the one in the front line soaking the damage. You are right, Zav. We need forges. But we need walls and ceilings first. We can build a decent punding surface from the stronger rocks - no need for iron, even. And klins will get us by for melting. We may have to forge bronze at first, though. As good as steel, if done properly, but lasts far less. We should be able to at least provide the elf with arrow heads>

Mara Herbswife

<I'm sure you'll manage something once we are better established here,> said Mara confidently, tying off the last of the bandages. Addressing the recipient of her care she continued, <I expect to see you at least once a day until this wound closes completely, but for now I'd best go back and help Master Imbrallius inventory the items you salvaged.>

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 04:32 PM
Gil shrugs, showing one hand holding a mug. He grins and goes to fill it at the clear pond, then takes a seat under a tree, ignoring both the clerk and the halfling.

OOC: scratch that, epswitch: this conversation is on the beach when you come to collect supplies -

I'm still there, standing next to the two, listening and generally ignoring Grey.

Shademan
2008-02-28, 04:33 PM
"yes yes, offcourse" Zavulon said, but seemed very absent. "have anyone found any mountains or marshes yet?" he ask Grey " 'cus that would be the best places to find iron!"

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 04:44 PM
"yes yes, offcourse" Zavulon said, but seemed very absent. "have anyone found any mountains or marshes yet?" he ask Grey " 'cus that would be the best places to find iron!"

<Not that I have heard of. I believe there are some cliffs to the east, but in my experience, they are more like to be chalk or some other soft material than solid rock. And no marshes - but we have heard of no river to the pond, so there must be subterranean rivers feeding it - if those rivers are close to the surface at any point, it should be marshy. I have been looking for ores myself, but have had no more luck than you. Unfortunately, it cannot be our priority at this point, or I'd gladly go with you in search of metals>

OOC:sorry, I assumed you were talked to when you came to check out the salvaged items. Instead, I was told earlier and confronted you when you came to the items. Hardly a major discontinuity

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 04:47 PM
Imbrallius

The clerk responds with a smile just as friendly. "It seems not." Imbrallius appears to be checking something in his head. "Now, I do not wish to cause any further infighting. I wish you would rethink your decision, but if you are so mercenary in your beliefs, I will not force you to be a member of the group. I'd wish that you would rethink your opinion and work for the good of the society." Imbrallius then turns to leave.

For Gil
Is that mug from the common pile? If so, please state so when I return to the camp, although it won't be until after Imbrallius does his next inventory (doing so at least twice a day) before he will act on it.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 04:57 PM
Imbrallius

For Gil
Is that mug from the common pile? If so, please state so when I return to the camp, although it won't be until after Imbrallius does his next inventory (doing so at least twice a day) before he will act on it.

OOC: I removed that action, but yes, I do have a mug I picked up off the original PC deaths at the beginning. Should probably be removed from stock count, didn't think to keep such careful track - but you're the clerk for a reason!

jagadaishio
2008-02-28, 07:17 PM
((Just thought that I would remind the DM this, but Gil and I are going to explore the hills to the east after the discovery of the hill.))

Shademan
2008-02-29, 02:30 AM
since i failed my weekly survival check i will leech off everyone else.


Zavulon will use the axe they looted from the ship to fell trees for construction wood.
untrained profession: -1. unless guided by actuall lumberjacks: [roll0]

well that went pretty well.........:smallfrown: that pretty much qualifies to accedentically chopping of yer own head!

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 07:39 AM
Epswitch

{{ Seeing as someone time got messed up and I got teleported to the beach... Its now Friday(for me) after all the meetings and the Piggy hunt(Hope I survive). I think Imbrallius is talking to me(but I can't be sure). }}

The little man, obviously not a threat says, "Mercenary? You must be thinking of Ovias and his bloodlust. I've seen the way he looks at that rapier. Not to mention, now we know about a murder on the ship..." The halfling's voice trails off then he turns back to the matter at hand, "I have always been willing to work for the society to benefit all. Standing watch over your beachside camp doesn't benefit all. It was made clear by your dwarven mouthpiece that I my opinions don't count and nobody cares. Why should I continue to work for a 'society', and I use that term loosely, that doesn't consider me to be an equal?"

Epswitch gestures to Gil, who has been standing off to the side listening, "I am more than willing to stand a watch over the lakeside camp and help protect it."

Epswitch turns to the pile of goods stolen from the dead and says, "It seems that you treat these possession as your own and won't allow them to be used without your permission. I don't know who elected you to be the leader and make the decisions, but I am willing to trade. Are you willing to listen?"

Lonna
2008-02-29, 10:18 AM
Epswitch

{{ Seeing as someone time got messed up and I got teleported to the beach... Its now Friday(for me) after all the meetings and the Piggy hunt(Hope I survive). I think Imbrallius is talking to me(but I can't be sure). }}

{{ Actually, if we go with the timeline most recently proposed in the OOC thread, this should be happening on Tuesday, after you skip watch but before the Piggy Hunt and meeting.}}

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 11:04 AM
Imbrallius

(This is why I hate the continuity issue. According to the most recent timeline, Ovias hasn't said anything to Epswitch, nor has Imbrallius denied Gil to take community food.)

"Mercenary as in out for your sole profit, not in terms of war and violence." Imbrallius specifies, a precise and annoying clerk to the core. "These goods," Imbrallius gestures to the pile of things claimed from the dead, "are not mine. You're missing the distinction. I keep these goods, in the loose sense that I keep all inventory, but they belong to no one. Just as the food we collect belongs to no one. They are all used by the community on an as-needed basis. It's the only fair way to distribute them. I can listen to any trade proposal that you have, but I don't have the power to trade. I will make the suggestion, and if the majority desire trade, it is possible."

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 11:39 AM
{{ Come on.. check your sundial, its Friday. }}

Epswitch

The little man avoid looking up at Imbrallius, but rather, looks him in the knee and adds, "It is for yourself that you help the community, because you feel the community will help you. I know the community won't help me, which leaves me to help me."

Looking at the goods, Epswitch says, "You, as a member of the community can decide that you need, say eggs, and that you don't really need a couple potatoes. You could take two potatoes for yourself and trade them to me for say half a dozen eggs. You could then eat the eggs, or distribute them or whatever."

TwoCents
2008-02-29, 12:23 PM
Roostin

OOC:

I am posting this in the IC thread, rather than the OOC thread because it directly impacts my IC gaming. I am also posting this in the Housing thread.

Continuity:Like some of the rest of you, I have trouble with the continuity in this game. Until THE DM clarifies the issue of how it is going to work, we are going to have to muddle along. If players have the opportunity to post multiple times in a day, and choose to post several successive actions, they must expect that either a) no action which involves other players happens, or b) there will be backtracking and realignment enough to make Dr. Who dizzy.

I realize that it can be very boring to post and then wait for someone to respond, and then post and then wait. That is the primal curse of this type of gaming. It is veryy slowwwwww. But it is the only fair way to allow all the people to actually participate.

If the DM wants me to post every day, I will examine my schedule and decide if it is possible, and when it is possible. I do not, have not, and will not have the time in any conceivable future to post several times a day to a series of different actions. If that is what the game needs from its players, I need to leave now. Part of the reason I haven't posted is that every time I come on with twenty minutes or so to post, I need more than that time just to parse through all the other posts on all the threads.

Location:
In my ignorance, I thought everyone had done what I though was obvious -- left the beach. We have a water source, which we can either lay claim to as upright bipedal tool users, or argue ownership with random wild animals on an nightly basis. We can live on the beach/treeline and be subject to every major storm, or we can build our makeshift shelter in the trees and have additional weather protection. I thought it was a no brainer, and in fact, somehow thought that's what we had done. Obviously, I was wrong. Had I realized my efforts last week were to help build a house in the sand, I would have said something.

Metagaming:
I had a long section about Epswitch and Ovias, but it all boiled down to: quit picking on the halfling because his sheet says LE.

Having tossed all that gasoline on the fire, on to IC actions and another barrel of Premium:

Roostin stood up and spoke, "Ah need to say some things. First of all, Ah have no intention of living here any longer than Ah have to. If Ah am going to spend a year building something, it's going to be a boat. In fact, 'fore I do that, Ah'm gonna take mah chances in one of them lifeboats over there. With a sail, some water, and fishhooks, Ah figure Ah have a chance. But Ah am not spending the next two years building a dang stone tower on this dang island. Y'all can help me, and have a place on the boat, or y'all can throw me out and ah'll work till Ah drop."

"Second, why are y'all living on the dang beach? Do you want to be washed away by the next big storm? Ah thought we was moving to the water, and ah think we need to pick a spot we can defend from both critters and the weather and just do that."

"Third, why are y'all so sure that hilltop is all about 'human sacrifice'? Didn't y'all want to cremate our people not ten days ago? Mebbe whatever lives here does that too. Ah'm not saying don't be ready if'n something wants to have steak a la Roosty; Ah'll be ready to fight, but Ah don't see why y'all getting your tights twisted. Ah don't think we should live there, though, until we find out more about it."

"Fourth, ah do think we need to figure out who's in charge, but Ah don't think we figured it out yet. Maybe the elf is right and we can work it out among us a job at a time, sort of 'you do this and you do that' kind of thing. But Ah have to say, Ah have a real problem with picking one of y'all to be captain cause Ah don't think any one person here is up to the job. Ah include mahself in that. Ah know Ah cain't lead you folks, mostly 'cause Ah don't have the patience for all this talkety talk talk, but Ah can build you a boat to get off this sand heap, Ah tell you whut."

"And it seems to me that if we're gonna have a commitee of four, we can just have a committee of twenty and listen to everybody. Yeah, Ah know that in a crisis there has to be somebody in charge, but we can just do that as part of the jobs. I nominate Zev for head of the guard and um, well me for in charge of building the boat. Mara should be in charge of keeping us alive, and we should listen to her unless we're under attack. Then we do what Zev says. Imbrallius is good at keeping track of stuff, and Jensen can keep track of whut happens and who knows whut. Maria should be in charge of hunting, and Ovias can be in charge of building the shelter that ALL OF US decide on. Ah know you're gonna think Ah'm silly, but Ah think Epswitch should be in charge of distributin' stuff. He ain't never cheated nobody, and he don't care if people like him so he ain't gonna give out more that a fair share to somebody 'cause they're his friends."

"Oh, yeah. Ain't nobody hanging nobody. Y'all ain't never cared what happened to that there halfling and now you notice? How come y'all didn't rouse the camp when he never showed up? You never figured maybe he was hurt or dead all alone up there next to the chickens?"

"Sixth, clerky guy over there needs to get a grip. If'n everything I put IN the pile has to stay there even if Ah need it back, then maybe Ah won't be putting anything into the pile, and maybe Ah need all mah stuff back now. Ah guess Ah'll just trade with Gil and Ep for food and you can count all your stuff over and over every day."

"Finally, if'n you want to find out what's down the coast of the island, what say Ah take three or four of y'all and we row around the dang island and just look? Give me some time, and Ah can rig a sail to help, although we're still gonna have to do a lot of rowing."

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 01:30 PM
((Come on, man, it's not like Imbrallius and Epswitch have been nothing but talking to each other for four days. This happened as Imbrallius and Epswitch were talking to each other about him not showing to the watch, at least from my perspective.

EDIT: Now I'm completely screwed up for time/place. LE, let's just decide it. Are we on the beach or at the coop, and what day?))

Imbrallius

"If this is about Ovias's outburst, rest assured no one will be...hanging you, not if I have anything to say about it. The community does look out for everyone, that was the entire point behind the watch. I understand your reasoning, but disagree with your methods. If you felt short-changed, you could have told someone, not just chaotically abandoning your word. Instead, you just threw your agreements to the wind. How can I bargain with you in good faith if you are so quick to break an agreement without even the decency of informing anyone?"

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 01:35 PM
EDIT: Double postage.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 02:43 PM
EDIT: Double postage.

OOC: I'm actually curious: why not just delete the double post?Is there some kind of etiquette involved in deletion of posts that I should be aware of? I have seen nothing in the posting rules, but maybe I missed it - or it is one of those "unspoken" rules that are so difficult to pick up because, well, no-one speaks of them?

Shademan
2008-02-29, 02:46 PM
OOC: i dont think he was aware that he could delete posts.

sickler
2008-02-29, 03:32 PM
Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882) - Waist level in the water by the beach, fishing

((If the arguement is taking place down by the beach))

Ben sighs to himself as he hears parts of the heated discussion over the surf, "Why can't they solve problems the quick and easy way?" He jabs a couple times into the air. I wish one of those mouthy ones would argue with me.

However, when Roostin begins talking, Ben walks up to listen. Heh heh, sounds like he's gonna put some of them in their place.

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 03:45 PM
{{ You came to talk to me in the woods, but we didn't resolve anything. Later in the week, I came down to barter for stuff and here we are. }}

Epswitch

Continuing to look the man in the knee, Epswitch says, "I didn't flip a coin to decide not to show up for watch. I decided. I would have told anyone that was nearby, but alas, everyone was down at the beach and I was alone. If you wish to move up to the lake and be part of my community, I will gladly help stand watch." Epswitch briefly looks up to make sure the man is listening and says, "Besides, you could have come to get me or awakened another to assist with the shift. I did not leave the group unguarded."

Looking over the potato sack, Epswitch says, "There is no matter of trust. This is business. I have the eggs with me. The potatoes are right there. I simply wish an exchange. Any human could easily outrun me and pick me up by my ankle. You have nothing to lose in the exchange." Epswitch carefully produces the eggs.

"Well?"

Daryk
2008-02-29, 03:58 PM
OOC: More camp location confusion below...

As the one who started building the makeshift shelter, I thought we built it further inland as well. At this point, I don't remember (and yes, am too lazy to troll through a few hundred posts to find it) if the shelter was built before Maria found the pond. I further support the point we need a DM ruling here.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 04:13 PM
Looking over the potato sack, Epswitch says, "There is no matter of trust. This is business. I have the eggs with me. The potatoes are right there. I simply wish an exchange. Any human could easily outrun me and pick me up by my ankle. You have nothing to lose in the exchange." Epswitch carefully produces the eggs.

"Well?"

OOC: Just a note to point out to those that didn't follow the sunken ship quest that Eric already requested the potatoes to be given to him.

Daryk
2008-02-29, 04:31 PM
Sorry I didn't read my PM's (or remember Tano's third language) sooner. This takes place after he returns from the hill, possibly before the meeting. If it was before the meeting, I dare say it would have changed the tone of said meeting in ALL respects (most especially my interaction with Janson). I suppose we should throw this post on the big pile to be retconned after storyteller weighs in on the timeline.

Tano

TIMESTAMP: After Tano returns from the hill (whatever day that was), Week 2

As Tano came back into camp, any who saw him would have noted he was white as a sheet, and mumbling to himself. Throwing himself at the first person he sees, he said, "We have a problem. The inscriptions on the stones on that hill... they're... ominous, to say the least. Have you ever heard of "Bal-ze-bal"? The text was Draconic. Roughly translated it said:
'Bal-ze-bal the firebringer,
Bal-ze-bal the destroyer,
Bal-ze-bal the blackspear,
Bal-ze-bal burns the flesh,
Bal-ze-bal devours the bones,
Bal-ze-bal drinks the blood.'"

Shademan
2008-02-29, 04:37 PM
"well that sounds very promising..." Zavulon replied and scratched his chin.

Daryk
2008-02-29, 04:51 PM
Tano

Tano stared at Zavulon for a moment, then took a deep breath and said, "I suppose it could be funeral pyre, but I still have a bad feeling about it."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 04:56 PM
"well that sounds very promising..." Zavulon replied and scratched his chin.

OOC: Since it would indeed mean retconning the whole meeting, I think we should assume it happens after it. Will do so, until it is decided otherwise, but I'm keeping it carefully time-neutral

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Sometimes I hate being rright. Oh, well. No sense on worrying about the unprroductive seam. It seems our prriorrities just got shifted a bit. Neverr hearrd of that God, but with those attrributes he is unlike to be the kind whose followerrs embrrace other culturres. We are going to need morre than a wall to hang a ceiling on - we should starrt looking forr a defensible place, orr building one."

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 05:05 PM
TIMESTAMP: After Tano returns from the hill (whatever day that was), Week 2

As Tano came back into camp, any who saw him would have noted he was white as a sheet, and mumbling to himself. Throwing himself at the first person he sees, he said, "We have a problem. The inscriptions on the stones on that hill... they're... ominous, to say the least. Have you ever heard of "Bal-ze-bal"? The text was Draconic. Roughly translated it said:
'Bal-ze-bal the firebringer,
Bal-ze-bal the destroyer,
Bal-ze-bal the blackspear,
Bal-ze-bal burns the flesh,
Bal-ze-bal devours the bones,
Bal-ze-bal drinks the blood.'"

OOC: I agree with Ovias, We discovered fire pit before meeting, we thoroughly explore after.

OOC: Ben, this info bridges from before meeting to after meeting, if you want me to take you to the circle, you'll find me at the pond, not the beach - alternatively, you could replace my name with Tano there and go with him. I'm trying to stay temporal here.

Shademan
2008-02-29, 05:20 PM
"think i recall you saying that your mentors wouldve been planning a fortress, Grey." Zavulon says "well that sounds pretty good to me right now..." he sighed deeply and scratched the back of his head.
"i need a forge...."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:27 PM
"think i recall you saying that your mentors wouldve been planning a fortress, Grey." Zavulon says "well that sounds pretty good to me right now..." he sighed deeply and scratched the back of his head.
"i need a forge...."

<Oh, yes...> Ovias answers, falling into dwarfish pulled by his recollection <Maester Stonehammer, who taught us all about stone construction, would have by now gone to the hills and created a dwarven hall using nothing more than a rock and a pice of string. Unfortunately, the best I can do to protect us is walls, and without help to collect resources...>

Daryk
2008-02-29, 05:31 PM
Tano

"Right about what exactly, Master Greybeard? If anything, this increases the urgency with which we must leave the island. If you can present a plan for defenses that take less time to construct than a suitable vessel, I'm all ears," replied the elf.

We really need a DM ruling on construction here. The only building we've been offered is a "small house" (for 2,000 gp if I remember right), though several of us (including me) have proposed other (cheaper) options. With a ship costing only 3,000 gp, it's a tough sell to build defenses that take almost as long.

Shademan
2008-02-29, 05:31 PM
< i have a pick lying around. im sure we could haul some stone. we got plenty of wood! now all we need is more picks. and we need to make those... you see where im going with this?> Zavulon looks into the forest, pondering what creatures might be on this island. he hope that theyre long dead but with his luck theyre prolly some super mutants and are fifty feet tall...
\ yes youre quite alot of ears / Zavulon giggles in orcish to the elf

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 05:38 PM
Imbrallius

"You may as well have flipped a coin, by the effects of your actions. Everything you do affects more people than yourself, Master Shortoe. Anyway, I don't see the need for your eggs at this time. I'll make your suggestion to the group to see if any want your eggs. Besides, 6 eggs for 2 potatoes is a terrible deal from my perspective. Sorry, I don't need them at this time." Imbrallius looks down at the halfling, not out of condescension, merely out of necessity.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:41 PM
Tano

"Right about what exactly, Master Greybeard? If anything, this increases the urgency with which we must leave the island. If you can present a plan for defenses that take less time to construct than a suitable vessel, I'm all ears," replied the elf.

"Rright about the natives that have burrnt offerrings at a cirrcle stone are not likely to be frriendly, which is what I said at the meeting. Not that you werre listening, clearrly. And I can certainly prresent a verry fast plan forr defence: building a bloody palisade, out of wood and stone. We worrk in concerrt, some building the palisade, some prroviding the materrials. A palisade takes little ability and little rresourrces, unlike a boat. We can laterr worry about turrning the palisade into housing, orr if we make it larrge enough, we could just build inside. But you can rremain herre and flee in a leaky boat, forr all I carre"

storyteller
2008-02-29, 05:50 PM
OOC:

You may build palisades and simple houses out of wood and/or stone. Thanks to Ovias's knowledge (architecture) skill, you have access to many building types :smallwink: Once I know what you want to build, we'll negotiate the price.

Sorry to keep those on Piggy Hunt waiting - I've been fairly busy the last few days.

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 05:54 PM
Epswitch

Looking at Imbrallius, Epswitch says, "My actions had exactly zero effect on anyone. Everyone is fine. Should an attack have occurred, there was still someone on watch and that person had the capability to awaken support, should they have needed it."

Epswitch looks at the eggs and says, "A time of need is not the time for eggs. It takes quite a few weeks for the chickens in the eggs to hatch and grow to a size where they might be worth eating. The potatoes do you no good in that sack. You need to plant them to gain their benefit, which again takes time. Had you planted them when we first arrived, the plants might be nearly a foot tall by this time."

Epswitch then adds, "If you wish to barter, I can do that too. What do you consider a fair trade? I have some ale. I'm sure that dwarven leader of yours could really go for a drink."


{{ Eric? I can't seem to find... oh.. he doesn't put his name at the top. ZombiePixie's char. I basically wanted to cut up and plant as many as I could afford so that someone didn't go and eat them. Potato will just grow on their own if planted. I was concerned someone would think them food instead of seed. }}

Shademan
2008-02-29, 05:55 PM
OOC: well if we're gonna make REAL walls we'l need quite a number of felled trees and alot of stone. i suspect that if everyone worked hard all week we could maybe get a very decent barricade in two weeks.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:58 PM
Epswitch
{{ Eric? I can't seem to find... oh.. he doesn't put his name at the top. ZombiePixie's char. I basically wanted to cut up and plant as many as I could afford so that someone didn't go and eat them. Potato will just grow on their own if planted. I was concerned someone would think them food instead of seed. }}

OOC: Potatoes only grow if planted in the proper type of ground. Since you have no ranks in farming, and Eric is a farmer, I hope you will understand I'd rather he take care of the potatoes.


OOC: well if we're gonna make REAL walls we'l need quite a number of felled trees and alot of stone. i suspect that if everyone worked hard all week we could maybe get a very decent barricade in two weeks.

OOC: The trees are easy enough, since we need to create a clearing anyway - wall are no good if proped up against climbable trees. Stones I've been collecting, but I am better used as builder than miner. Then again, I already proposed as much in the meeting and I was attacked mercilessly from all fronts for daring to suggest we need to coordinate, so our chances of building anything are small to none. At this point, either we find a cave (which I can conceivably fortify on my own), or if the kobolds decide to attack we are screwed.

Daryk
2008-02-29, 05:58 PM
< i have a pick lying around. im sure we could haul some stone. we got plenty of wood! now all we need is more picks. and we need to make those... you see where im going with this?> Zavulon looks into the forest, pondering what creatures might be on this island. he hope that theyre long dead but with his luck theyre prolly some super mutants and are fifty feet tall...
\ yes youre quite alot of ears / Zavulon giggles in orcish to the elf

As Zavulon spoke in tongues he did not understand, Tano frowned. Seeing the last part addressed to him personally, he replied, "Atayalambe? Quen-quenya, eh?"

Turning back to Ovias he said, "And how long will it take? Unless we know it truly is faster than building a ship, it's not the best option."

I proposed a palisade, and storyteller hasn't said anything about it. Until he does, it's not an option, as I see it. We know how long it will take to build a house, and a keelboat. We do not know how long it will take to build the palisade, a log cabin, a grass hut, convert the lifeboats into a seaworthy catamaran, or anything else our knowledge as players might suggest. Again, until we hear from storyteller on that point, we have no information to base the decision on.
Edit: Ok, storyteller has now told us we can do it, but we still need the price to know how long it will take. Get to negotiating, eh? :smallbiggrin:

Lonna
2008-02-29, 05:59 PM
OOC: well if we're gonna make REAL walls we'l need quite a number of felled trees and alot of stone. i suspect that if everyone worked hard all week we could maybe get a very decent barricade in two weeks.

{{OOC: Yes, but the question is still "where do we put it?" A cave or clearing would be best, we haven't found one unless you count the shrine to Bal-ze-bal.}}


Edit: Wow, double ninja'd!

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 06:05 PM
Imbrallius

"They trusted you to watch them as they slept and you betrayed them. We doubled the shift to double the chances of spotting an interloper. You halved that chance through your own actions. That is a effect, Master Shortoe."

"Do you think these are miracle potatoes? We've scarcely been here two weeks, and we've not had the chance to look for proper soil for farming. Potatoes must be cared for, else they shan't bear much."

"I don't have time to barter now. Compile a list of what you're willing to trade for and what you're willing to trade with, and I'll look it over when I have time."

Shademan
2008-02-29, 06:05 PM
{{OOC: Yes, but the question is still "where do we put it?" A cave or clearing would be best, we haven't found one unless you count the shrine to Bal-ze-bal.}}


Edit: Wow, double ninja'd!
OOC:
indeed. we should organize some cave-search teams.

sickler
2008-02-29, 06:08 PM
OOC: Ben, this info bridges from before meeting to after meeting, if you want me to take you to the circle, you'll find me at the pond, not the beach - alternatively, you could replace my name with Tano there and go with him. I'm trying to stay temporal here.

((Changed "looking around" to "going to the pond" so I could still talk to Gil, Ben trusts humans more than elves))

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 06:34 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You simply wish to avoid the blame yourself Imbrallius. You should have woken a replacement, but you chose not to. It is you who lowered the odds of detecting something that didn't happen."

Epswitch again adds, "I would not waste what little paper and ink exists on this island building a list of things that I might trade for other things. I know that you do nothing besides sit and guard the pile, so pretending you are busy won't get rid of me."

Epswitch says, "We will never know how good the soil is so long as you leave the potato in the sack. There seems to be an abundant amount of foliage around, which suggests the soil is fertile. I certainly don't plan to plant them on the beach, but I will be watching them. Because I will have bought them, I will have a personal interest in seeing them grow and succeed. Unlike your community which chooses to waste them and let them rot."

Yeril
2008-02-29, 07:04 PM
Joseph returns after the evenings work, leaving a handful of hares with whoever is at the cookpot at the time, and retires to the makeshift shelter to get some rest after the long day.

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 07:13 PM
Imbrallius

"So abandoning your duty absolves you of blame. I'm glad we don't base any legal systems around your babbling. I showed up to fulfill my duty, you were the one who did nothing.

Imbrallius brushes off the halfling. "Spoken like a man who knows nothing about this community or of planting. Waste something else if you don't know about soil. I've already told you, I don't see any value in trading your eggs for our potatoes. I will talk to the others if someone wants your eggs. Right now, no deal. Good day."

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 07:58 PM
Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You are just being stubborn. You know you are wasting what the community has, but are too scared to make a decision. Take the eggs, hand me a single potato and walk away."

I don't wish to plant crops yeah greedy old man, I simply want to supplement my diet of bread, cheese, meat, and eggs.

Epswitch waits for his response. If this old man won't trade, I'll just find someone who will.

Lonna
2008-02-29, 08:12 PM
Mara Herbswife

Mara, returning from an afternoon of gathering edible plants, approaches the supply pile in time to catch the halfling's last remark.


Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You are just being stubborn. You know you are wasting what the community has, but are too scared to make a decision. Take the eggs, hand me a single potato and walk away."

I don't wish to plant crops yeah greedy old man, I simply want to supplement my diet of bread, cheese, meat, and eggs.

Epswitch waits for his response. If this old man won't trade, I'll just find someone who will.

"Are those eggs fertilized, Master Shortoe?" she asked curiously. "If so, trading them for a single potato is more than generous. Even if they aren't it still seems you would be getting the short end of the bargain, offering so many. Master Imbrallius, surely we can spare one or two potatoes for the other camp's use. Make the trade. If any others raise objections I will take full responsibility," she added. Turning back to Epswitch she continued, "Has your camp a good supply of edible plants? If not, I can provide some of the fruits of my foraging."

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 09:13 PM
Imbrallius

Imbrallius looks at Mara for a scant second. "Miss Herbswife, good to see you. Is that an official endorsement of his trade offer?"