PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecked! OOC Thread



Pages : [1] 2

storyteller
2008-02-17, 04:20 PM
This is the OOC thread.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:23 PM
great.
now do i need to make a str check to carry the dead bodies?

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 04:31 PM
Not if its within your weight limit... besides what was that "strength check to see if i can lift two bodies(?) 1D20+1= 16"

You roll it at home?

Use the roll tags.. Lets see if I remember...



STR Check[roll1]

Like This :

[roll="Str Check"]1d20+1

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:34 PM
like this?


(1d20+1)

or:
[roll]1d20+1

refuse to cooperate it does! can i not just use my dices?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:45 PM
great.
now do i need to make a str check to carry the dead bodies?

You can drag up to 750 pounds. Two bodies, plus equipment plus water is, tops, 400. No checks needed.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Edit: lets try this dice rolling
3d20+4

Zombie pixe
2008-02-17, 04:50 PM
like this?

[roll1]
(1d20+1)

or:
[roll0]

refuse to cooperate it does! can i not just use my dices?

are you prevewing your posts before you send them?

if you do it wont work. :smallannoyed:

otherwise, pray...? :smallamused: :smalltongue:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:53 PM
And another test, this time no preview and no edit

[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 04:58 PM
By the way, I'm confused about how we are going to do the optional quest. We are fairly busy in the IC thread to think about going for a swim, and so unless we jump in time to a future point in which we *can* go for a swim, I hardly see how we can integrate it with the main thread.

Also, I would like to go for the swim this time, but I'm not exactly the best swimmer. I supose I will go if there is space left.

Just so we are clear, Ovias has CON 12 (+1), Swim +2 and no particular advantage to underwater fighting.

Grey Wolf

Shademan
2008-02-17, 04:59 PM
cant i just use mah dices?
i aint a cheat, i swear!

storyteller
2008-02-17, 05:42 PM
The optional quests take place on a different timeline (i.e. not simultaneous with the events described in the main thread). Don't worry about it so much, just assume they're done sometime during the week. This is to make the game run faster.

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 05:44 PM
Well, with the speed of the chit-chat and such, the main thread won't hardly go anywhere. If y'all were to row out to where the ship was and then spend a couple hours diving down the wreckage(hauling up stuff), and then row back, quite a few hours will have passed. During that time, I'd expect not to see any IC posts(because you won't be there).

If your character wouldn't leave the beach and bodies and all that at this moment, then don't have him go. Do what makes sense for your character.

ie.. Epswitch would love a chance to dive for loot and a chance to get away from digging and all that. However, he doesn't swim... so..

Lonna
2008-02-17, 05:45 PM
Mara has ranks in Swim, coming from a fishing village, but most likely she would not want to go out to the wreck. She would, however, make a point of asking those who do go to look for a healer's kit.

Shademan
2008-02-17, 05:51 PM
i am SO in on the diving quest!

sickler
2008-02-17, 05:52 PM
I was probably going to volunteer Ben to go for a swim, he has a couple ranks in Swim and a half decent Str. The only problem that has to be solved first is he's going to have to find someone to trust to leave his gear behind with first but I'm pretty sure there's already someone out there who has some leadership skills that will want to start gathering all the group resources anyways.

Lonna
2008-02-17, 06:02 PM
The halfling stands up straight to his full intimidating height(2'10") and holds out his hand, expecting cash.


LOL That is awesome.

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 06:13 PM
Maybe, but 2cents was in the middle of typing his post, so he didn't see mine to respond to it.

:smallfrown:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 06:24 PM
i am SO in on the diving quest!

So I am, although with my measly +2 swim I'm willing to leave my place to better swimmers. So far, I'm 4th in the hierarchy. Although I can hold my breath longer. At this point, I'm thinking that we should let TwoCents/Roostin decide on the final team.

Grey Wolf

sickler
2008-02-17, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that's the only problem with such an active game is the simul-posts. Just have to make do I guess.

Might as well put myself into the side quest.

EDIT: I'm too confused with how to get myself into the side quest for now, so I'll just wait.

Daryk
2008-02-17, 06:55 PM
@LE: Fear not... I will make sure TwoCents sees your post when I yield the computer back to her.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-17, 06:56 PM
EDIT: I'm too confused with how to get myself into the side quest for now, so I'll just wait.

aren't we all? I've made a mix of IC & OOC post in the quest thread that I feel is a good starting point. Take a look at it, and roll with it if you feel it is a good idea. At any rate, TwoCents has declared herself leader of the quest and it is appropiate, so I'd at least wait for her to make some decisions.

Grey Wolf

Yeril
2008-02-17, 07:24 PM
Just posting for show.

Joseph Bridgeman, Hunter.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/Joseph.png

Daryk
2008-02-17, 07:29 PM
@storyteller: Here are two links that might give a slightly better idea of what we're looking at for your review:

If you crop this one to remove the short palms on the left, it could be our beach: http://www.coconutstudio.com/Shoreline%20Ecotone_files/P3160179%20strandlopers%20beach.jpg

This may be what we're looking at inland (it's a picture of a chestnut forest on a Greek island): http://www.eftalouhotel.com/graphics/forest.jpg

lawful_evil
2008-02-17, 08:19 PM
The beach really that rocky? There goes my sun bathing plans.

My wife is betting this will collapse and implode horribly. She played in a game with 18 that horribly died. Too many people acting all at once and trying to do stuff.

This side quest bit will help, but we'd need more simultaneous quests to split the 24-25 people down into manageable groups.

Of course, the the DM is running like 4 simultaneous adventures. We are commoners, so I'd expect a we'd want to sit around and grow stuff and work most of the time. All the idle chit-chat makes the thread scroll by so fast it'll be impossible to keep up with.

Just my 2 cents(sorry TwoCents)

Daryk
2008-02-17, 08:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the activity will die down a bit after this initial flurry. We'll see how it turns out.

sickler
2008-02-17, 08:45 PM
The way I see it, if the DM finds there's too much to handle, he can just throw a monster in the middle of the group and I'm certain the numbers will drop to a more managable size.

Daryk
2008-02-17, 09:09 PM
Here's a couple of somewhat less rocky beaches without palm trees, but honestly, I've been on beaches like these, and it's pretty cold up there:
http://www.julieleung.com/IMG_1219-tm.jpg
http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/images/rubybeachJonP556_1.jpg

Shadow Mask
2008-02-17, 11:25 PM
Due to unforseen circumstances, I am not going to be able to get on to post very regularly. Therefore I am going to have to withdraw Thomas Green from this campaign.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience

storyteller
2008-02-18, 04:49 AM
Due to unforseen circumstances, I am not going to be able to get on to post very regularly. Therefore I am going to have to withdraw Thomas Green from this campaign.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience

No problem. The survivors will give him a proper burial :smallwink:

Posting once a week should be enough, however. If you want to go on the optional quests, you'll have to post more often, but it's ok just to rp and help with the resources.

Daryk, thanks for the pics. Looks pretty much like what I had in mind, except for the beach that should be sandy, not rocky.

Please, use the die roller. Taking 10 is recommended, but remember that if your modifier is -1 or worse, you can't succeed even on a DC 10 check by taking 10.

lawful_evil
2008-02-18, 09:52 AM
Excellent.. a sandy beach. Anyone going to mind if we declare this a clothing optional beach?


So.. only IC posts, especially the first post... it'd really help me if people described themselves(appearance, etc). Putting your characters name at the top of the post helps a lot too. Just trying to be helpful.

ie
john

A tall peg-legged human with scruffy beard and salt-n-pepper hair stand up, covered with sand. His otherwise spotless green and purple pirate uniform is now stained brown with mud. A bit of seaweed hangs over his left shoulder like a dead snake. He begins to stagger around the beach, his peg leg stuck in the sand.

vs.

I stand up and hobble around hopelessly.

Yeril
2008-02-18, 12:36 PM
I realy quite exited about this game. :smallredface:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 01:42 PM
So.. only IC posts, especially the first post... it'd really help me if people described themselves(appearance, etc). Putting your characters name at the top of the post helps a lot too. Just trying to be helpful.

ie
john

A tall peg-legged human with scruffy beard and salt-n-pepper hair stand up, covered with sand. His otherwise spotless green and purple pirate uniform is now stained brown with mud. A bit of seaweed hangs over his left shoulder like a dead snake. He begins to stagger around the beach, his peg leg stuck in the sand.

vs.

I stand up and hobble around hopelessly.

I would add to that that you should hyperlink the name to your character sheet, like I do, so anyone can have quick access to it. Lonna's list is great, but direct access is always going to be better, except when you want to check on several at once.

Re: Playing the game

Actually, I don't think we are going to have that many problems. The first day is normally going to be busy no matter what, since everyone needs to establish their presence. Even then, and with me and shademan posting like mad, we naturally agregated to small interactions between two, maximum three characters. A quick scan could tell me if anyone was addressing me and, if not, I skipped posts in the first go around. Once I had posted, I went back and checked what everyone else was doing.

Besides, this is really three games in one. Game 1 is the more survival part, and really can be taken care in one post of actions per week. It is the only real obligatory part in this campaign.

Example:
John Fetuccini's actions for week 3:
- mornings: survival (takes 10) + 4 food gathering (fruits, vegetables, edible roots)
- evenings: cooking at main camp, interaction, preparation of long-term food (smoking, salting) (takes 10): profession (cook) + 6

Of course, you can actually break it down day by day, if you prefer to post more often.

Game number 2 is the actual role play throughout the week, where you describe your actions in the free time you have left - talking to others, special projects, and so on. It is optional, open to those that want to role-play heavily. Given the amount of mutes, anti-socials, loners, lone wolves and more we have, it won't be that many posts.

Game number 3 is the optional quests, which have their own threads although their consequences will impact the main IC thread, of course. Those not wanting to follow them can probably wait for the "flash news version" posted by the DM in the main thread

Example: Results of "The Sunken Ship"
The intrepid explorers explored the ship thoroughly, managing to recover several useful objects (list) that are now part of the common goods. Two failed to come back (one drowned, one attacked by sea elves while exploring the passengers' bedroom). Two others are hurt and require healing assistance.

Of course, the game may still implode, but so far, I don't really see it as a major danger. My one complaint is really the passage of time - anyone that is tired of the morning antics cannot really skip to the afternoon easily, and viceversa. Storyteller seems to be planning to post day results, so it is going to be confusing when to RP. And the optional quests are even worse, since they are temporally disconected of the main sequence (I didn't know how to introduce it, and several RPed that we were in the first day planning to go swimming instead of taking care of the dead and other urgent businesses. Storyteller, as a suggestion, I would specify the time sequence in the description so we can all just be in the same page, so to speak.

By the way, TwoCents, are you still going to go through being the leader? I think there is a fair number of us wanting to go at this point, but at least I'm waiting for your cue, i.e. make the decision on peoplewho get to go, or maybe even a note to indicate we will wait for more volunteers so you can choose the most appropaite and so on.

From the IC thread:

OOC:

The DC to build a regular wooden house is 15. A small house (as per the DMG) costs 1000 gp, so you'd need 333.3 gp worth of wood. A tiny house (yes, tiny (http://tinyhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/epuweb.jpg)like this one) costs half as much.

Your progress on week 1: DC x check result = 15 x 20 = 300 sp

So, if you're building a tiny house, you've completed 300 / 5000 sp = 6% by the end of the week. NB: "If you fail [the check] by 5 or more, you ruin half the raw materials and have to pay half the original raw material cost again." (PHB) This is another reason to take 10 unless you're a master carpenter.

And if you had something entirely different in mind, do tell me and I'll give you the DC and gp cost.

So... 20 weeks, give or take, for one tiny house that fits, tops, 4 (very friendly) people. There is, I think, four craftsmen that can somehow work wood or stone (yeah, Ovias would use stone). That still means 5 weeks per tiny house. I'm thinking that we better start looking for caves. Or considering other options like lean-tos.

So long as the weather continues to be dry, we can sleep outside, but if it starts to rain we are going to be needing a roof over our heads.

Speaking of which, since we can ask costs and DCs, I'd like to know about the following:
- Lean-tos (i.e. sticks holding a flat surface to rpotect from wind and/or rain
- Palisades (what? I'm a dwarf. Won't sleep peacefully until we have proper walls)
- Working with stone instead of wood - makes any difference?
- Other constructions: well, klin.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf, who doesn't think anyone has problems on remembering who the bl**dy dwarf is :smallwink:

Daryk
2008-02-18, 02:45 PM
Given what the DM just posted in the IC thread about house construction, I think we need to consider something less complicated first. That's not to say we shouldn't eventually build actual buildings, but for immediate shelter purposes, I'm thinking canvas and rope strung between a couple of trees.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-18, 02:59 PM
Given what the DM just posted in the IC thread about house construction, I think we need to consider something less complicated first. That's not to say we shouldn't eventually build actual buildings, but for immediate shelter purposes, I'm thinking canvas and rope strung between a couple of trees.

The more I think about it, the more I like the hope of finding a nice cave somewhere. It can not only be a great hook for a quest, it also saves us months of work to put roofs over our heads. And fortifying a cave will be easier than anything else, is a nice cool place for storing food and apart from the elf, everyone would likely be happy with it (the elf can get a treehouse just outside that doubles as watchpost or something)

Of course, all that requires finding a cave in the first place. We have a few explorers, hopefully they will get working on that soon.

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-02-18, 06:52 PM
One thing to consider on the house building....

1. The 1000 gp house is a 3 bedroom house. Everyone could easily sleep inside to avoid exposure. Just because it has 3 bedrooms doesn't mean it only holds 3 people. People from large families, especially poorer large families know that you can easily put 3 or 4 people(with beds/bunkbeds) in a bedroom. Not to mention the common living space/kitchen floor/etc. Anything is better than sleeping in the rain.
2. The GM's math was off. Our carpenter has a +7, so he'll average 15*17 sp per week. 255 sp. The total house cost is 10000 sp(not 5000sp). So.. 39.2 weeks, round up to 40 weeks of work. We'll likely be into winter by then.
3. I'd be really hesitant to post some sort of extended action like that for my character because I don't want to get him tied up doing something that take so long. Well, that and I don't have any good skills like that.
4. Wood... 333 gp worth. They don't have this listed in the commodities section, so one must assume that the daily wage of a lumberjack is equal to the amount of wood they produce. So.. assuming we had someone with that skill at say, +5, they produce 15gp of wood per week. So... 23 weeks to get the wood before you can start the house(unless the GM allows you to work in parallel(which I would, but I'm not the GM)).


Someone has the ship's sail. That and some branches can make quite a large tent without really any effort. Beyond that, your standard shelters, lean-tos, etc are fine.

Also, a shallow grave with sticks and leaves covering it is quite warm, if slightly disconcerting. We have shovels. Not so great if it rains, but good to stay warm.

sickler
2008-02-18, 06:54 PM
Just to use a bit of out of game knowledge (which I can garuntee my character doesn't have), if you have string or rope, you can cut pine tree boughs (flat types like fir work the best, so you'd probably need to do a Knowledge Nature check to figure out if you have the right trees) and use those instead of canvas if you overlap them and keep their natural top side up, since they naturally deflect rain water.

Otherwise, we can take a look for caves. :)

But we should definately make sure it's near a water source and we should have a safe place to have a fire going.

Yeril
2008-02-18, 07:09 PM
True, but we have about 4-5 people who can work carpentry, and Im sure some who don't have much to do and can take a untrained +0 or +1 skill check at it or somthing, All working together you could bring that building time down to 7-8 weeks I suppose.

borninbones
2008-02-18, 07:14 PM
While DnD is hardly based on reality, building a lean-to takes all of about an hour and covers 1 person, uncomfortably.

We could also pull the whole swiss family robinson thing and use sides of the ship as walls and such.

Imbasel
2008-02-18, 07:25 PM
I'm all for the Swiss Robison thing! What you said is right though, we should probably look for caves(and clear anything in it out).

I know that Ovias and I are 2 carpenters that could get everything done in a shorter amount of time. If anyone else is a carpenter we could make tree houses even faster.

Daryk
2008-02-18, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, the rules don't seem to provide us with values for log cabins or grass huts. Either should be vastly easier to construct than a full blown house. The sail cloth Tano is sitting on at the moment was large enough to cover all of the dead, and should be enough to provide the living with shelter from rain at least.

jagadaishio
2008-02-19, 04:18 PM
While DnD is hardly based on reality, building a lean-to takes all of about an hour and covers 1 person, uncomfortably.

We could also pull the whole swiss family robinson thing and use sides of the ship as walls and such.

The problem is that, of course, our small party of ship divers has no means to sever and transport whole walls of the ship from the sea floor to the beach.

smartaleq
2008-02-19, 05:17 PM
sever no, transport yes. It seems that large chunks of wood, as would be found in our caravel, make excellent rafts. I hope the diving party can recover as much of the high-value materials in the ship as possible, as natural materials on our island may not be suitable for all our needs, especially in an emergency

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-19, 05:19 PM
Ok, Now I'm getting worried about time issues. Storyteller sort of hinted that we would be going at a rate of about a day per day. But we are still stuck in the first day, pretty much. Now, I don't want to stop anyone from rolepalying, but the game may needs to move forwards.

What does everyone else feel about this? Am I rushing things too much? I wouldn't mind continue to describe just what is happening on the first day - like a dusk meeting to have dinner with the catches of the day, establish watch post duties, etc. In fact, I was thinking of posting a time mover ("Later that evening, Ovias..."), but I feel I am already posting way too much (which is why Ovias is fishing at this point). I suppose the problem is that RP is very first-person perspective (even when written in third), and none of us has really the power to jump forwards in time except the DM.

Also, re: accomodation. I would give our explorers some time to map out the island. We have located a source of clean water, so we might as well move camp there and start looking for appropiate places around it (any place should be close to water, anyway).

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf, who is simply not sure if we should be moving past the first day or not

Daryk
2008-02-22, 07:04 PM
A question for the DM:
We know houses are hideously expensive. Since we don't seem to have costs for log cabins or straw huts, how much are simple palisades? Four walls, a small gap, and the sail cloth for a roof might be a bit quicker build than a full blown house.

Edit: The old AD&D cost appears to have been 15 gp for a 10' tall by 10' long section (priced at 100' long for 150 gp).

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 03:47 AM
A question for the DM:
We know houses are hideously expensive. Since we don't seem to have costs for log cabins or straw huts, how much are simple palisades? Four walls, a small gap, and the sail cloth for a roof might be a bit quicker build than a full blown house.

Edit: The old AD&D cost appears to have been 15 gp for a 10' tall by 10' long section (priced at 100' long for 150 gp).

Umm, that's actually a good idea, in the sense that we can build small, add to it in time (more "rooms"), cost is managable and when we have the leisure we can improve to have a proper ceiling (yes, walls are easy, ceiling as far harder). Crunching some numbers:

Surface: We have 21 sq. feet of canvas, so 5*4 feet is about the best we can do. Umm... I think Ovias will rescue some more from the ship...
Assuming we have some more, and that there is 20 people, needing each about 10 sq feet each, we would need 200 sq feet, or say 15*15 (actually 225 - square root of 200 is 14 and a fraction)

Length needed: 15*15 requires 4*15 feet of wood, or 60 feet, with a cost of 6*15 = 90 gp.

Materials: Since only a third of the cost is required in materials, that would be 30 gp. I will be collecting material at least a week, at (10+4)/2 = 7 gp worth of stone with a helper at (10+1)/2 = 5.5, comes to 12.5 gp, 25 in two weeks (almost what we need). We'd need someone else helpiing with the stone or, more usefully, collecting wood (i.e. chopping trees) since things like doors are better in wood, and we will need wood down the line.

Placing: We're still missing it. We need a good place to build this thing, hopefully close to the water, somewhere we can build (a clearing, or at least an easily created clearing) and if possible defensible (hill top). I would still prefer a cave, but if none is found in two weeks, we can get busy with this.

Construction: it costs 900 sp to build. Taking 10 on stonemasonery, Ovias can produce, at a DC 15, 15*18=270 sp worth of work per week, taking about 3.33 weeks. Unfortunately, if it is DC 15, I cannot be helped, except by a similarly good carpenter/stonemason (which we don't really have).

If it is DC 10, instead I create 180 gp a week, but can be helped by as many people as I can handle (DM fiat), each adding about 100 gp a week if they bring their own tools (needed to not have -2, and miss the DC). Ideally, 3 helpers and me would get it done in 900/480 = 1.87 or just shy of two weeks.

It is actually doable in reasonable time. Here's hoping the DM will ok it.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Edit: actually, the best surface/perimeter ratio is the circle, so we could get the same 200 square feet of surface with a mere 50 feet of palisade (circle radius 8 feet, rounded numbers to the 0th decimal point), which would change the numbers somewhat, but it wouldn't be as expandable as a square palisade. Also, since we're doing this to be covered with cloth, and we will be using, hopefully, sails, covering a round surface with a square cloth is going to be hard.

Yeril
2008-02-23, 08:29 AM
Lets see..

1 lot of 7 hour hunting.
30 minute break for RP+Interaction
1 lot of 7 hour hunting.
1 Hour + 30 minutes of Nightwatch and Rp+Interaction
8 Hours Asleep.

Thats the general gist of my day. :smallamused:

Edit: Changed :smallredface:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 08:44 AM
1 Hour of Nightwatch and Rp+Interaction

Just a note to point out that 5 shifts over 8 hours of night comes to be watches of 96 minutes each, or just over hour and a half

Sicarius
2008-02-23, 09:41 AM
If people are actually telling Imbrallius what they're doing, I can get some math up. I don't want to have everyone gathering food since we have no way of preserving it. This way we can get some numbers crunched on our communal shelters.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 10:29 AM
If people are actually telling Imbrallius what they're doing, I can get some math up. I don't want to have everyone gathering food since we have no way of preserving it. This way we can get some numbers crunched on our communal shelters.

Well, we still are not sure just how many active players we have. We might be as few as 10, although I hope the DM will then increase our numbers with a few NPCs. Oh, and wait till the end of the week - Ovias is working on his "secret" project, after all... (yeah, already talked it over with the DM)

That said, if I can get out of food gathering, resource gathering will go much faster. Alternatively, someone other than me could start gathering themselves, which should help too.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Daryk
2008-02-23, 10:49 AM
Grey Wolf, the only problem I see with your math regarding the palisade is that palisades are all wood, no stone to them...

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 11:04 AM
Grey Wolf, the only problem I see with your math regarding the palisade is that palisades are all wood, no stone to them...

Yes, but Ovias is a dwarf. When was the last time you saw dwarfs build anything with wood (beyond doors and frames)? :smallbiggrin: I'm sure they have a stone version of a palisade. Otherwise, what's the cost of a thin stone wall?

Grey Wolf

Daryk
2008-02-23, 11:55 AM
Digging out my old 2nd Edition "Castle Guide", I don't see any "thin" stone wall entries (oddly enough, it only covers the 10' thick, 15' high kind). What it does have, though are the following (all costs assuming ready access to necessary materials like cut lumber and quarried stone):

Building, Small Wooden (20'x20', "thin" walls), 8 man-weeks, 40 gp
Building, Medium Wooden (20'x40'), 12 man-weeks, 60 gp
Building, Large Wooden (30'x60'), 18 man-weeks, 90 gp

Palisade Module (10' long, 5' high, 6" thick), 1 man-week, 5 gp
Wooden Wall Module (10'x15', 3" thick), 1 man-week, 5 gp

For comparison:
Building, Small Stone (20'x20', 2' thick walls), 64 man-weeks, 2,000 gp
Tunnel Section (1,000 cubic feet), 25 man-weeks, 100 gp

This source is different than the internet source I quoted above for palisade costs, and the building costs are very different than what the DM has already quoted us. Being that it will be faster to harvest logs than saw lumber, I'm still leaning toward the palisade idea.

Yeril
2008-02-23, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know how much XP we have now? We have 100 from sorting out night shift, and Im sure we got some more from elsewhere.

And on an unrelated note, does anyone have Craft (Weaponsmithing)?

jagadaishio
2008-02-23, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know how much XP we have now? We have 100 from sorting out night shift, and Im sure we got some more from elsewhere.

And on an unrelated note, does anyone have Craft (Weaponsmithing)?

We have earned, as a group, 150 XP per person. I believe that Epswitch also earned some XP for haphazardly drinking from an unknown water source (kudos for recklessness).

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-23, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know how much XP we have now? We have 100 from sorting out night shift, and Im sure we got some more from elsewhere.

And on an unrelated note, does anyone have Craft (Weaponsmithing)?

We have 150 XP each. Ovias has +4 Weaponsmith (no ranks).

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-02-23, 08:14 PM
Short on wood?

Well, Profession(lumberjack) is trained only... so no one can cut down trees unless they've been trained. (Union Rules)

Well, okay, not exactly... I suspect that anyone who can inflict enough slashing damage to a tree can 'kill' it, but the wood isn't usable for building stuff? Firewood.


Epswitch doesn't have much in the way of slashing abilities, so it doesn't directly affect him, but ...

I suppose we can also gather fallen wood(also for firewood), but it can't be used for construction either..

TwoCents
2008-02-23, 10:30 PM
Sorry for not posting lately but between a nasty sinus infection and doing our taxes I've been crazed. (I'm not sure which was worse). I still have more of the federally mandated math homework to complete, but I am, by golly, taking a break!

To clarify: Roostin is "in charge" of the salvage party (or at least thinks he is) because this is the sort of job that his captain would put him in charge of accomplishing. "Roostin, go over there and do that and come back and tell me when it's done!" Aye, aye, sir!" The group was in chaos, and somebody needed to go and do salvage and clearly (at least in his mind) he needed to make sure it got done and so he started working on getting the task processed.

He doesn't think of himself as "in charge" in the sense of deciding a) who else is doing it, or b) when it's going to get done. Whoever is "the captain" of this merry band will decide the answers to those questions. (I'm sort of hoping the question of who's the boss will have sorted itself out on the IC thread, going there next)

I have no idea how to work out how long it would actually take the whole group to build a shelter. I would think that since, for example, a barn raising -- without power tools -- takes about a day for an Amish community, we ought to be able to come up with something in less than a year. Getting the lumber and hardware together would be the hard part; putting it up not so much.

Unfortunately, DnD isn't set up for this sort of real world planning, so I think our DM is going to have to make some decisions. If, for example, we don't spend time and energy cutting logs into boards but just use them to make a log house, we should be able to get a couple of large dormitory type rooms done in a week or less. I base this on the autobiographical Little House on the Prarie novels; Charles Ingalls built a log house with only his wife's help in about a month. Yes, we would have to use canvas or thatching to make a roof, but we would at least have shelter. It would be rude, crude, and infested with bugs, but then so are we :smallwink:

Anyway, on to read the IC thread.

Yeril
2008-02-24, 10:23 AM
Does Mara still have that list of all the Pc's and what they do?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 10:29 AM
Does Mara still have that list of all the Pc's and what they do?

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3938009#post3938009)

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 11:08 AM
One problem here, as I see it, is the difference between practicing the profession of "Lumberjack" and cutting down a tree.

I (me, the 30+ overweight non athletic woman in glasses) can cut down a tree. I know, because I've done it, with axe (major pain) or saw (also a pain, but with a two hander bow saw, a good friend, some beer, and several refrains of "I'm a lumberjack and I don't care!" it can be slightly more fun). I'll always pick a chainsaw given the opportunity, but I know it can be done by an "untrained" person using hand tools.

However, having said that, it took me far longer to cut down that tree than it would have taken a professional, and I deliberately picked one that would fall into the clearing without my having to be creative with undercuts and what not. Also, with the saw/beer technique, we cut it most of the way through and sort of um, crashed into it a lot to knock it down. Maybe we should have used less beer.

So, how about letting "untrained" persons cut wood at half the rate of a lumberjack?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 11:48 AM
Grey Wolf, the only problem I see with your math regarding the palisade is that palisades are all wood, no stone to them...

When in doubt, ask google (http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/reticulum/NorthernFrontier/TheWretchedBritons/CelticSettlements.htm): if you scroll down, you get to a palisade half wood half stone. Now, as a dwarf, I would think that Ovias would continue piling stones (properly, with architectural knowledge and stonemasonery craft) all the way up. Sure, maybe it is classified more as a "wall" than palisade, but if it is thin-ish (i.e. aout a foot thick), with no windows, built with uncut stones and no mortar, it shouldn't take much longer than a wood palisade. I would say that a wall is more brick-like, cut stones, probably with mortar and with enough strength to put windows (or arrow slits), and withstand a battering ram.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 11:54 AM
Well... I'm not sure that even logically, an untrained person could do half speed lumberjacking. I'd probably make the players actually roll(no taking a 10) and only produce (sp) instead of (gp). That'd account for the 'blind luck' involved and their lack of skill.

Some of the skill may be in picking 'good' trees too. Avoiding hollow ones, ones with termites, ones made of 'hardwood', etc

Even so, untrained, I expect that you need an axe or something. How many of those do we have? Maybe the dwarf can make a bunch of stone axes?

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 02:03 PM
With grateful appreciation to Lonna:

Note: Iím sure I didnít get all the skills. If thereís a skill your character has that I didnít list, let me know and Iíll stuff it in here. However, I am going to make another table with Listen, Spot, Search, AC, & HP when I can pry the time away from Real Life. (Iíve stalled enough on the taxes as it is).

Skills:
{table="head"]Character|Player|Race|Age|Gender|Crafts/Professions/Skills|Weapon|Notes

Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)| sickler| Human|22|Male|Surv, Swim|Improved Unarmed|

Brady Turner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41746)|Imbasel|Human|18|Male|C:Weapons , C:Armor, C:Carpenter, C:Stonemason, P:Miner|Club|

Elias Fisher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)|Fisher| Human|23|Male|P:Courier, Climb, Surv, Swim, Rope|Short Spear|

Epswitch Shortoe (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)|Lawful_Evil| Halfling|25|Male|P:Sweep, Climb, Tumble|Sling|

Eric the Brewer (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8881)|Zombie pixe| Human|31|Male|C: Brewing, P:Farmer, Swim|Morningstar|

Feln Zekor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=42623)|journeyman| Human|28|Male|Handle Animal, Ride|Lt Xbow|

Gil Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058)| Smartaleq| Human|25|Male|C:Trap, Climb, Swim, Rope|Net*|Exotic WP|

Imbrallius (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3069)| Sicarius|Human|27|Male|P:Clerk, K:Arch, K:Local, Diplo|Dagger|

Janson Himmerhardt (http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7615)|zed's dead| Human|74|Male|P:Writer, Handle Animal|Dagger|

Joseph Bridgeman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8582)|Yeril| Human|32|Male|C:Leatherwk, P:Hunter, K:Geography, Handle Animal|Shortspear|

Larry the Hairy (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8591)|borninbones| Human|18|Male|C:Leatherwk, P:Farmer, K:Nature, Perform:Oratory, Diplo, Handle Animal, Surv|Sling|

Mara Herbswife (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=40328)|Lonna| Human|19|Female|P:Healer, K:Nature, Heal, Swim|Dagger|

Maria Vallen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41913)|Jagadaishio|Human|23|Female|C:B ows, P:Lumberjack, Climb, Handle Animal, Surv, Swim|Sling, Longbow*|Martial WP|

Ovias Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590)|Grey Wolf| Dwarf|52|Male|C:Stonemason, C:Armor, C:Carpentry, C:Mining*, C:Weapon*, K:Arch&Eng, Surv, Swim, Rope|Club|0 rank + Race bonus|

Ray Zhang (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41780)|Rayzin| Human|19|Male|P:Cook, K:History, K:Nature|Dagger

Roostin Truckleman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8613)|TwoCents| Human|35|Male|C:Ship Carpentry, P:Sailor, Swim, Rope|Spear|

Tano Curunda (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8594)|Daryk| Elf|121|Male|C:Bow|Club, Bows*, Swords*|Race Martial WP

Zavulon GrŚbein (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3044)|Shademan|Half-orc|20|Male|C:Blacksmith, C:Armor, Perform:Banjo, Swim|Spear||[/table]

Defenses:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION! COME BACK LATER

{table="head"]Character|Listen|Spot|Search|Vision|AC (Touch, Flat)|HP|Notes

Ben (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8882)| 0 R0|+2 R2|-1 R0|Normal|12 (10, 12)|6|Endurance

Brady Turner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41746)|

Elias Fisher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41984)|

Epswitch Shortoe (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3115)|

Eric the Brewer (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8881)|

Feln Zekor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=42623)|

Gil Gil (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3058)|

Imbrallius (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3069)|

Janson Himmerhardt (http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7615)|

Joseph Bridgeman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8582)|

Larry the Hairy (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8591)|

Mara Herbswife (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=40328)|

Maria Vallen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41913)|

Ovias Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590)|

Ray Zhang (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41780)|

Roostin Truckleman (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8613)|

Tano Curunda (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8594)|

Zavulon GrŚbein (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3044)|

[/table]

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 02:25 PM
Wouldn't a net trap fall under craft(trapmaking)? I don't see that under anyone's skill list.

jagadaishio
2008-02-24, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't a net trap fall under craft(trapmaking)? I don't see that under anyone's skill list.

Craft can be used untrained.

TwoCents
2008-02-24, 02:57 PM
Gil Gil has Craft:Trap

lawful_evil
2008-02-24, 03:02 PM
So.. how much does a net trap cost? Is this going to take several weeks to assemble? Isn't it like a minimum of CR 1 which makes it over 100gp.

Yeril
2008-02-24, 03:23 PM
So.. how much does a net trap cost? Is this going to take several weeks to assemble?

About 1000gp worth of materials and 5 years 8 months and 2 weeks of crafting time.

so yeah lets ask the DM what he rules.

Sicarius
2008-02-24, 04:38 PM
So we have 19 active PC's, by my count. Starting with 30 and having 8 die this week, that leaves us with 22 total. Storyteller, what are these three NPC's like? Or were they characters who lost interest? I need them for Imbrallius's notes. Also, I as clerk volunteer to keep track of supplies IC.

Lonna
2008-02-24, 04:43 PM
Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3938009#post3938009)

The lists at this spot are no longer being updated (sorry, I forgot to note it in the list), but are still good for figuring out what we can loot. For the most updated list, look at my first post in the regular IC thread. (Please note that at the time of posting not all of the deceased passengers have been removed from that list.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-24, 05:31 PM
The lists at this spot are no longer being updated (sorry, I forgot to note it in the list), but are still good for figuring out what we can loot. For the most updated list, look at my first post in the regular IC thread. (Please note that at the time of posting not all of the deceased passengers have been removed from that list.)

New link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3950851#post3951860). I think this is the correct one. Oh, and maybe those 3 NPCs should be saved for "second lives" of those of us that die in the optional quests.

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 10:25 AM
Gil Gil has Craft:Trap

Aye, and we have two nets and much rope.

Sicarius
2008-02-25, 10:39 AM
Also, my lists don't have partial consumptions of the eight unfortunate deceased. If the storyteller could say how long they lived, I can add up their consumed resources for a more accurate count.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 01:35 PM
Also, my lists don't have partial consumptions of the eight unfortunate deceased. If the storyteller could say how long they lived, I can add up their consumed resources for a more accurate count.

I think you can pretty much asume they were amongst the dead in the beach that we put to rest on the first day, and that they did not eat at all from our food.

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-02-25, 04:53 PM
I think we had 26/30 people initially, out of whom 2 withdrew and 6 didn't show up in the actual IC thread. Don't worry about the three/four commoners, we might do as Grey Wolf suggested or just forget about them. Or calculating partial consumption is not necessary. Check who's alive at the end of each week - only those people contribute towards resources and only those people eat. Makes it easier to manage the resources even if it sounds unrealistic.

Trapmaking: I know all traps in the DMG are expensive but they're primarily for the DM. I'll let you improvise, so don't worry about not having expensive raw materials. Ropes, nets, block and tackle, etc. will be just fine. Gil Gil is the man for the job :smallwink:


New link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3950851#post3951860). I think this is the correct one. Oh, and maybe those 3 NPCs should be saved for "second lives" of those of us that die in the optional quests.

lawful_evil
2008-02-25, 05:05 PM
GWC - The point I was trying to make was that across the boards, people don't use that method of relaying text in alternate languages. I want to avoid having to remember game to game to game what language is represented by what. This game may use <> for dwarven while another might use it for elvish and another for goblin. Chaos!

Why are you unwilling to use one of the widely accepted methods?

<dwarven>Blah Blah Blah, I love stone. Stone is Strong. Blah</dwarven>

Or

Dwarven : Blah Blah Blah, I love stone. Stone is Strong. Blah

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-25, 05:12 PM
Lawful_evil, while a reasonable proposition, it comes many pages too late. When I used the <dwarven talk> back in my very first post, it was posted, discussed and accepted on the main OT thread (recruitment), and the DM only suggested that we don't use ∑halfling talk∑ due to the difficulty of finding '∑' in the keyboard. Seriously, out of 20-something people, you are the only to complain, and given that so far the only non-human language has been dwarven anyway, it doesn't seem like such a horrible task to remember.

From the Guide to PbP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074):

"{{Other symbols can indicate such things as radio calls, speech in languages other than the standard assumed language of the campaign, etc. Which symbols mean what should be established by the GM in the OOC thread or in the first post.}}"

Well, the DM didn't establish it as such, but he did agree to it when I proposed it. I find pseudo-html tags combersome, and I'd much rather sontinue with the current method, which for all intents and purposes is clear and concise.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-02-25, 06:42 PM
Well, to be clear when Epswitch chooses to not speak in common, I will mark it with html-like tags to make it easier on everyone else. That, and I don't find it cumbersome. I just thought you might be a helpful type of person. Well, you know about making assumptions.

Also.... It is hardly too late. I wasn't asking you to go back and edit all the previous posts(not that anything is stopping you).

On a side note, we seem to be down well below 20 now.

Moving on... Time to get the piggy. Anyone remember that line from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... Napoleon at the ice cream place. Eat the Pig!

Daryk
2008-02-25, 06:44 PM
FYI, the barrel I'm mentioning in the IC thread was Cook Kurt's (who Storyteller listed as deceased even though he withdrew), and I figured I'd bring it into the game formally, since it's a fairly significant resource.

From his character sheet, the following are in the sealed barrel:
Butcher's tool set (knives, cleavers, etc.)
1 pound of salt
1 iron pot
50 (!) pounds of flour
2 pounds of chicken feed
1 pound of soap
1 clay jug filled with 1 gallon of cooking oil
1 clay jug filled with 1 gallon of cooking wine
1 clay jug filled with (presumably) 1 gallon of fresh water
2 pounds of beans
2 candles
1 clay mug
Total weight is slightly over 100 pounds, hence Tano's trouble with it.

Lonna
2008-02-25, 06:59 PM
I've decided, since others are starting to take over things like item inventory and skill sets, that my list in the main IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72748) is going to be restricted to PC's and the links to their character sheets. For my full (and most extensive) set of lists, look at the IC prologue thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72432).

Also, as far as the language thing goes, I vote for a DM ruling. Personally, I'm fine with any of the methods that have been discussed. Since Lawful_Evil and Grey_Wolf_c seem to have such firmly-held, opposing viewpoints, I think the most logical step is to ask storyteller to decide the issue.

Edit: I just want to mention that I find it extremely ironic that Lawful_Evil and Grey_Wolf_c got into an arguement at the same time as their characters.

smartaleq
2008-02-25, 07:15 PM
Quick rules question: when I'm devising a trap and determining if ropes will be strong enough should I be taking 20

Daryk
2008-02-25, 07:59 PM
And before I forget, Cook Kurt also had a dagger, a whetstone, and a flint and steel on his person that likely would have been removed before burial. Does Imbrallius have a list of all that stuff?

Sicarius
2008-02-25, 09:37 PM
He does. I'll keep adding to the lists as they come up. I was in a hurry to get the actual list assembled and I didn't have Cook Kurt's char sheet anyways. The fifth list is non-food. Since it was less important than food and resources, I haven't compiled it yet.

Daryk
2008-02-25, 10:08 PM
Not that you need it now, but here's the link in case I missed something:
Cook Kurt: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8865

Sicarius
2008-02-25, 10:24 PM
Yep, I was working off a backdated list. Sorry you couldn't stay with us, Daryk. Thanks for the help.

storyteller
2008-02-26, 02:11 AM
The language issue: Using spoiler tags sounds good. To avoid meta-knowledge.

Characters withdrawn from the game are considered deceased, their souls departed, and their loot to be divvied up by those still breathing :smallwink:

Daryk
2008-02-26, 06:01 AM
Sicarius, I play Tano, and am still in the game. Kurt was played by Comedian (a friend of mine who withdrew). I had helped Comedian get set up initially, so that's why I was familiar with his gear.

Edit: Sicarius, who is Imbrallius speaking to in post #168?

lawful_evil
2008-02-26, 07:00 AM
Ziggy Piggy Ziggy Piggy!

Once you get into your character's mindset for an argument its easy to stay there and continue the argument OOC.

Pork... the other white meat.

Sicarius
2008-02-26, 09:30 AM
My bad on the confusion. Sorry Daryk. Imbrallius is speaking to Tano for the first paragraph, and Ovias in the second.

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 11:37 AM
I made a massive post to the piggy hunt thread. You should read it even if you aren't on the hunt because I'm proud of it, it has graphics! It's my 20th post, hurray for starting strong.

meeting post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3988509) up as well

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 05:10 PM
I made a massive post to the piggy hunt thread. You should read it even if you aren't on the hunt because I'm proud of it, it has graphics! It's my 20th post, hurray for starting strong.

I find it quite funny that at current rate, we will be done with the pig quest before we are done with the sunken ship quest

Daryk
2008-02-26, 06:01 PM
That's only because we're not in combat with the boar yet.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 06:15 PM
That's only because we're not in combat with the boar yet.

If we do engage in combat, it'll be over even quicker. I remain skeptical of our chances against a boar, regardless the superior numbers. And the chances of hurting it one stone hit at a time are so ridiculously low they're not even worth considering. Your bow may help, but otherwise, we're going to get trampled, if it gets to that point.

smartaleq
2008-02-26, 06:20 PM
We have a definite dilemma here, If we drive it to the trap, trap is more likely to miss, if we wait, nothing may be gained. We also don't know its size/type/capabilities for sure. If we knew it was "easy" it would be simple enough to just send the hunters after it. If we knew it is hard, then the trap idea is probably more prudent.

Incomplete knowledge is what makes the game so fun

lawful_evil
2008-02-26, 06:32 PM
Ah, but you are forgetting the story of David and the boar Goliath.

Sling Stones Rock!

:smallbiggrin:

Yeril
2008-02-26, 06:34 PM
Sure, but David rolled like 3 natural 20's in a row and was using a +2 flaming burst vorpal stone of boar giant bane :smalltongue:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-26, 06:35 PM
We have a definite dilemma here, If we drive it to the trap, trap is more likely to miss, if we wait, nothing may be gained. We also don't know its size/type/capabilities for sure. If we knew it was "easy" it would be simple enough to just send the hunters after it. If we knew it is hard, then the trap idea is probably more prudent.

Incomplete knowledge is what makes the game so fun

Actually, Tano is just being very impatient for an elf. We don't really know until the DM says that hours have passed - Daryk unilateraly decided to spin the clock forwards. I'd wait until the DM tells us that it's been hours before declaring the hunt a failure, although I did recommend at the start to send explorers to get a feeling of the pig's routes, den, etc. Also, I wanted to check it's cave, if it has one. Oh well, maybe next time.

Grey Wolf

sickler
2008-02-26, 07:40 PM
Sure, but David rolled like 3 natural 20's in a row and was using a +2 flaming burst vorpal stone of boar giant bane :smalltongue:

Rather it's wotc's misrepresentation of the efficiency of slings.

Yeril
2008-02-27, 01:04 PM
So when is the "big meeting" happening?

Lonna
2008-02-27, 01:27 PM
So when is the "big meeting" happening?

A separate thread was started for it HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3988509).

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-27, 01:30 PM
So when is the "big meeting" happening?

In real time, right now, right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73529)

In game, that night, in a big bonfire in the beach

Edit: Ninjaed!

TwoCents
2008-02-27, 03:38 PM
Real Life, in the form of Federal Income Taxes and Federal Student Financial Aid Forms has taken over. Sorry I missed your meeting.

Assume Roostin slept through the meeting, nodded when told what had been decided, and went back to work on whatever construction task (salvage, home construction, boat construction) was appropriate given the available resources.

smartaleq
2008-02-27, 03:50 PM
meeting not over, get your voice in and be heard!

so far there seems to be a well-defined consensus on leaders, waiting to hear from hammerhardt.

so far most people present have supported the following - with objections noted

The concept of a leadership council has universal support
Imbrallius has universal support for leadership
Ovias has near-universal support, with Gil disagreeing with his leadership style
Himmerhardt has near-universal support, with misgivings held over his age and health - we also haven't heard him speak at the meeting yet
Mara has significant support, however she does not support herself - a clear issue

For location, two options were selected by 75%+ of the attendees
1) Moving to the pond - objections related to sanitation, and animal presence
2) Continue Exploring - objections related to urgency of shelter

For construction, many had no opinion. All those who cared supported the concept of a wooden palisade, with a preference for a cave.

lawful_evil
2008-02-27, 05:02 PM
Maybe I missed something.. but what is that camp on the beach and what is up with this meeting thing? I've not been able to keep up with the IC thread because I'm off doing the piggy.

The animals and I already live at the water supply. Where do you people think you've been for the last week? On beach getting eaten by bugs with the smell of rotting flesh? Who wouldn't have left the beach for a fresh water source right away, especially one with tree cover for easy makeshift tents.

Yeril
2008-02-27, 05:15 PM
Heres a quick map of what I assume the area to be like. :smallsmile:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/survivalmap.png

sickler
2008-02-27, 09:45 PM
We're not on the beach as much as we are simply beside it within the cover of the trees and the like. And there aren't actually as many bugs on the beach as you would think, given birds are slightly higher on the food chain than bugs and would rather enjoy having some tasty flies to go with their rotting fish.

And as stated by others, fresh water is usually a popular location for animals of all sorts, salt water not so much.

storyteller
2008-02-28, 03:03 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Until you've made a decision about the housing issue, you're staying near the beach where the makeshift shelter was built. Epswitch, of course, may choose to live alone near the pond.

Nice map, Yeril! Though now it seems that there are paths clear of trees that lead to the pond and the stone circle, which is not the case. Undergrowth is heavy and trees are abundant everywhere on the island except on the beach and in rocky terrain marked with ^ on my map.


We're not on the beach as much as we are simply beside it within the cover of the trees and the like. And there aren't actually as many bugs on the beach as you would think, given birds are slightly higher on the food chain than bugs and would rather enjoy having some tasty flies to go with their rotting fish.

And as stated by others, fresh water is usually a popular location for animals of all sorts, salt water not so much.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 06:57 AM
Epswitch made a decision about his housing. I(the player) couldn't conceive of people wanting to stay on the beach. The birds may help things, but every beach I've been too had lots of annoying little bugs, which were worst right at the edge of the beach. Which isn't to say they wouldn't be annoying in the woods, but...

Anyway, as a halfling with lots of big bushes around and such, I figure anything big approaching makes a fair bit of noise, so its like having a guard posted. It also provide plenty of places for the chickens to hide and nest. Without a coop, chickens will naturally nest in trees, so watch out for droppings. :smallbiggrin:

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 09:05 AM
Oh, it's a perfectly valid decision. It's the benefit of decisions not made by committee.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 10:51 AM
Yes, Epswitch would only take stuff that is his. He is Lawful, even if he is evil.

Now, I've got to have him get depressed that none of his stuff was recovered.

How is it that the divers only found stuff that once belonged to the dead people? Did the stuff from the live people show up at some other point that I missed?

storyteller
2008-02-28, 12:05 PM
What stuff would that be? You already have what you bought with your 20 gp, you never lost any of it. Ok, some characters may have owned more stuff before the wreck but just assume that it's all destroyed now. With 18 players in the game, I really have to keep things simple.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 12:35 PM
What I mean is... We were supposed to be colonists. When the ship sank we could not swim to shore with everything we owned. For example, if someone used 20 gp to buy iron pots. They would sink. Likewise for a 20# bag of chicken feed or a clay mug or whatever.

I thought the explore the shipwreck quest was to get back some of our lost stuff. Are we supposed to assume that everything we had managed to make it ashore(due to tides or whatever)? That makes it easier for me too, but I just need to know.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-28, 12:38 PM
Heh, do you think anyone could make me a squid skin belt? Itís going to be great if I kill it

All I need to do now is kill the boar and I will have made another Eric legend

Yeril
2008-02-28, 12:42 PM
IS it a boar? we don't actualy know what we are fighting, only that it is bigger. :smalleek:

Zombie pixe
2008-02-28, 12:50 PM
Well, it squealed like the boar did, Iím not sure we can handle anything much bigger anyway :smalleek:

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 01:39 PM
What I mean is... We were supposed to be colonists. When the ship sank we could not swim to shore with everything we owned. For example, if someone used 20 gp to buy iron pots. They would sink. Likewise for a 20# bag of chicken feed or a clay mug or whatever.

I thought the explore the shipwreck quest was to get back some of our lost stuff. Are we supposed to assume that everything we had managed to make it ashore(due to tides or whatever)? That makes it easier for me too, but I just need to know.

In short: yes. The 20gp limit I believe was intended to try and keep our belongings to a subset of what we would have really brought. For instance, the bow users would have brought a bow, instead it was lost in the fire/wreck. I imagine a 50 person colonization expedition would have well more than 1000gp of goods. The diving salvaged goods from the ~20 dead npcs on the boat. The coastal salvage was from the ~10 dead PC's. As for your gear, maybe you might elect to keep most, but ditch things you don't feel you could swim with.

For example, Gil's 20gp was packed into a backback and sack of goods, and his clothes. I would imagine he brought far more food than the 2 rations he washed up on shore with.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 01:46 PM
Ah, see I envisioned Epswitch as a dirt poor commoner fleeing a bad situation to make a better life in a new land. I figured 20gp was months worth of saving and such and I had trouble spending all of the cash and staying IC(ie I didn't feel limited)

That said, if we have everything we bought. Great. Epswitch won't pick up anything from the 'common goods' pile unless he trades for it.

thanks.

storyteller
2008-02-28, 02:20 PM
What I mean is... We were supposed to be colonists. When the ship sank we could not swim to shore with everything we owned. For example, if someone used 20 gp to buy iron pots. They would sink. Likewise for a 20# bag of chicken feed or a clay mug or whatever.

I thought the explore the shipwreck quest was to get back some of our lost stuff. Are we supposed to assume that everything we had managed to make it ashore(due to tides or whatever)? That makes it easier for me too, but I just need to know.

No need to think about how you managed to take all your iron pots and other heavy objects with you.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:29 PM
I'm not too sure about this idea I had just now for the whole "leadership" thing, so I won't propose it until a least a few of you have given independent opinions on it. I like the triunvirate proposed, and the reasons for it, and in RL it would likely work fairly well (particularly in a small group). However, given that this is RPbP, and we all have RL to attend and so on, and given that we have five people proposed, rather than thinning them down to 3, I suggest the following:

5 people are "Arbitrers". For any given arbitration needed, 2 of the arbitrers are enough to make a decision, so long as there isn't a contrary voice - any of the other three have until the decision is put into motion to object, at which point a majority of three is needed. Even if put into motion, three oposed votes can stop the decision (depending, of course, on the circunstance).

I like this idea because that way "leadership" decisions are still made even if some of the members are not posting (Darik's sig is what started me down this train of thought, btw). That said, I hope that these are less "give orders" and more "figure out how to best direct our common efforts".

In another order of business completely, I have been checking the numbers of resources, and it doesn't add up - Sicarius, where did you get all that lumber from? I don't remember anyone posting they were harvesting lumber, and yet you have it down in your list as having been collected in bigger quantity than stone. I wasn't aware that we had any lumberjacks (non-drowned, I mean), so I'm surprised someone has a better lumberjack check than Ovias has mining rock.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Edit: Going the extra mile, I would add that arbitrers can be made to step down from the position if voted off by, say, more than half of the group? Just so we have the full system where those not in the arbitration can remove those they don't really like, and substitute for one they do.

Lonna
2008-02-28, 03:42 PM
I'm not too sure about this idea I had just now for the whole "leadership" thing, so I won't propose it until a least a few of you have given independent opinions on it. I like the triunvirate proposed, and the reasons for it, and in RL it would likely work fairly well (particularly in a small group). However, given that this is RPbP, and we all have RL to attend and so on, and given that we have five people proposed, rather than thinning them down to 3, I suggest the following:

5 people are "Arbitrers". For any given arbitration needed, 2 of the arbitrers are enough to make a decision, so long as there isn't a contrary voice - any of the other three have until the decision is put into motion to object, at which point a majority of three is needed. Even if put into motion, three oposed votes can stop the decision (depending, of course, on the circunstance).

I like this idea because that way "leadership" decisions are still made even if some of the members are not posting (Darik's sig is what started me down this train of thought, btw). That said, I hope that these are less "give orders" and more "figure out how to best direct our common efforts".

In another order of business completely, I have been checking the numbers of resources, and it doesn't add up - Sicarius, where did you get all that lumber from? I don't remember anyone posting they were harvesting lumber, and yet you have it down in your list as having been collected in bigger quantity than stone. I wasn't aware that we had any lumberjacks (non-drowned, I mean), so I'm surprised someone has a better lumberjack check than Ovias has mining rock.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Edit: Going the extra mile, I would add that arbitrers can be made to step down from the position if voted off by, say, more than half of the group? Just so we have the full system where those not in the arbitration can remove those they don't really like, and substitute for one they do.

Works for me. Also, to clarify, Mara will not refuse the arbitrer position if the group votes to offer it to her. She is just nervous about taking responsibility for anyone other than herself. She has a long history of other people putting her down and telling her she is no good, so this is the first time in a long time that people have just assumed she is as competent as she actually is, and it's making her nervous.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 03:43 PM
too many chiefs and not enough Indians, as the saying goes.

Yeril
2008-02-28, 03:52 PM
@^ True, I think a council of 3 should be enough.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 03:54 PM
Very much aware of that distinct posibility, smartaleq. Note that my proposition doesn't change the basic idea (still 2 votes needed to make a decision), in part because of that.

Then too, I am hoping that whomever we choose, if we choose anyone at all, will mostly just coordinate our efforts - right now we are all pulling in different directions. If we are to build anything, the builders have to build whilst other bring them material, and unless someone with a minimum of authority is looking at the bigger picture, we're not going to get anywhere. Also, by DM fiat, I'm hoping we can get the non-poster-but-alive moving in some direction, because they still eat, even if they don't actually accomplsh anything, and if they "die", we're going to be very shorthanded.

Oh, Lonna, I did read that your character was insecure rather than unwilling, if it helps - I counted you as one of the five up for leader (Mara, Ovias, Imbrallius, Himmerhardt and Roostin)

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 03:57 PM
Roostin said he was salvaging wood from the shipwreck. Imbrallius said he was working on shelter. Brady said he was gathering wood and building a lean-to. But I double-checked, and realized that they were using crafting rolls, not lumberjacking rolls. I'm re-spec'ing now. The most they can gather is 5 gp/week, since the max an untrained Profession check is always is 10. Fixing it when I get a free moment.

EDIT: Imbrallius also allows Mara to use the cloth for bandages. If this is after the leadership meeting, he will ensure to inform all other arbiters.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 04:09 PM
Roostin said he was salvaging wood from the shipwreck. Imbrallius said he was working on shelter. Brady said he was gathering wood and building a lean-to. But I double-checked, and realized that they were using crafting rolls, not lumberjacking rolls. I'm re-spec'ing now. The most they can gather is 5 gp/week, since the max an untrained Profession check is always is 10. Fixing it when I get a free moment.

Really? Well, then unless someone working under the direction of a trained gets an exception, Eric only collected 5gp of stone, too. I'd make the exception (it even says in the description that you can direct others), but of course it is not my exception to make. By the way, I just checked my char sheet, and I realised I've been thinking I had +4, but I only have +3, so I only collected 6.5 gp myself. Great, why did I have to check the numbers? I've just cost us a week's worth of materials.

Grey Wolf

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 04:10 PM
Profession is a trained-only skill. Which means that a person with no ranks can achieve a maximum of 10 on the roll.

EDIT: Whee, more numbers editing. Still, I'd prefer we do it the valid way. Also, storyteller, please clarify on whether or not Ovias, being trained, could give Eric enough direction to have him achieve a higher result.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 05:18 PM
I think Janson made some great points at the meeting, alas, I wasn't around to hear it.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 05:24 PM
How is that everyone is everywhere at the same time?

Imbrallius is at the meeting. Gill left and would be taking some of the food(which anyone who is watching might assume is to eat or for him and someone else).

Same kind of thing with people suddenly overhearing conversations at the lake, when they are hunting or at the beach or working.

Maybe we should post our 'location' next to our names to help people out?

I try not to read the posts of people who aren't near me so I don't have knowledge I shouldn't.

smartaleq
2008-02-28, 05:43 PM
the way I see it:

Imbrallius and Epswitch have their thing in the morning the day of the meeting. the meeting would be that night. This explains why the tension came two a head at the meeting by two (so far) characters leaving mid-discussion.

This doesn't prevent the IC-thread argument from continuing, but the result of that should avoid pre-empting what happens at the meeting.

Also, that^ timeline allows us to all go pig hunting later that week.

Yeril
2008-02-28, 05:43 PM
Would Craft (Leatherworking) involve the production of items using leather, or the production of leather itself, or both?

How are we doing for food? I was thinking on working on some leather based items for the week, stretching and crudley preparing the various hides I've gathered into some leather-like-material.

I doubt we could make some armor, but Im sure there are lots of things we can do with 7gp worth of leather materials, the only problem is can we go without the food I would bring in that week comftorbly?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 05:48 PM
How is that everyone is everywhere at the same time?

Imbrallius is at the meeting. Gill left and would be taking some of the food(which anyone who is watching might assume is to eat or for him and someone else).

Same kind of thing with people suddenly overhearing conversations at the lake, when they are hunting or at the beach or working.

Maybe we should post our 'location' next to our names to help people out?

I try not to read the posts of people who aren't near me so I don't have knowledge I shouldn't.

Because they happen at different times, as has been explained several times. The beach thing happens when the shipwreck crew comes back. I'm not sure when you started to skip watches, but Ovias would hear it from Imbrallius soon after. You placed yourself in the beach at the time we were unloading, so it was a good time to talk to you. The meeting happens at night, later. And as specified at the start of the meeting thread, the pig hunt has not happened yet at the time of the meeting.

Time sequence:
shipwreck rescue->beach conversation->meeting->pig hunt

They happen at different times, thus characters can be at all of them.


Would Craft (Leatherworking) involve the production of items using leather, or the production of leather itself, or both?

How are we doing for food? I was thinking on working on some leather based items for the week, stretching and crudley preparing the various hides I've gathered into some leather-like-material.

I doubt we could make some armor, but Im sure there are lots of things we can do with 7gp worth of leather materials, the only problem is can we go without the food I would bring in that week comftorbly?

Well, we are feeding two less mouths now (although I wish them luck on their egg-only diet), so you might be able to do something. We had 7 surplus from last week, and there is about 17 to feed, so we need quite a bit of food (and I'd rather not go into the reserves). Hopefully Sicarius can give a clearer picture. However, you were the one that brought in the most food, so we may need you hunting. I'm repeating myself, but hopefully we will have time for that kind of thing once housing is done - in the mean time, we should really be gathering resources to that purpose.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

sickler
2008-02-28, 05:51 PM
Maybe we should post our 'location' next to our names to help people out?

This is a good idea. It will definately help people to interact with each other with less confusion of where things are actually happening.

Each thread is seperate activities though. Unless someone is away from the group for an extended period of time (like some sort of overnight trip), they should be able to act in each of those seperate threads.

Lonna
2008-02-28, 05:53 PM
How is that everyone is everywhere at the same time?

Imbrallius is at the meeting. Gill left and would be taking some of the food(which anyone who is watching might assume is to eat or for him and someone else).

Same kind of thing with people suddenly overhearing conversations at the lake, when they are hunting or at the beach or working.

Maybe we should post our 'location' next to our names to help people out?

I try not to read the posts of people who aren't near me so I don't have knowledge I shouldn't.

Given how many people we have, it's easy to get confused about where people are at any given time. To clarify, here is where you can expect to find Mara at any given time over the first two weeks on the island:

Last week-
The first day I helped check for survivors and gave aid to those (miraculously few) who needed it.
I patched up Zavulon and laid claim to the healers kit when the divers got back.
The rest of that week was spent gathering edible plants for the common food stock.

This week-
The first night we had the bonfire, which I attended. See ongoing thread.
First half of the week I gathered medicinal herbs.
Mid-week I joined the Piggy Hunt. See ongoing thread.
Second half of the week I gathered edible plants.

In the IC thread, I'll pretty much be non-active until the beginning of week three and/or we get to the aftermath of the Piggy Hunt. Any time not actively spent gathering plants or on a quest I'm providing long term care to any injured party members or helping with short-term projects like gathering wood for the night's fire.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 06:45 PM
See, thats the problem... I=Epswitch

First week - I did the watch
Second week - I did the piggy hunt. After the hunt, I started skipping my watch. Went to the meeting(which you now claim was on, say, day 8, instead of say 13).

So... by the time the meeting happened(day 8) and you disowned me(how could you dad?), I hadn't done anything wrong and was a model citizen.

jagadaishio
2008-02-28, 06:54 PM
Maria consistently takes 10 on her survival checks for collecting food, so she feeds herself and Gil every day while exploring. Any amount of food resources collected by Gil would go towards the rest of the group.

Also, once we get to the point that Maria doesn't need to keep gathering food, she has one rank in Lumberjack, so she'll start working to collect wood.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-28, 06:55 PM
See, thats the problem... I=Epswitch

First week - I did the watch
Second week - I did the piggy hunt. After the hunt, I started skipping my watch. Went to the meeting(which you now claim was on, say, day 8, instead of say 13).

So... by the time the meeting happened(day 8) and you disowned me(how could you dad?), I hadn't done anything wrong and was a model citizen.

You were confronted by the non-watch in the IC thread, that is happening, at this time, around the time we came back from the sunken ship, so your "timeline" does not fit your posting. But it is of little relevance. Whether the confrontation happens in the meeting or another meeting a week from then, the point it that it happens. Obviously Imbrallius doesn't complain to you until you do skip watch, and Ovias would hear soon after, likely from Imbrallius himself.

Grey Wolf

Lonna
2008-02-28, 06:57 PM
See, thats the problem... I=Epswitch

First week - I did the watch
Second week - I did the piggy hunt. After the hunt, I started skipping my watch. Went to the meeting(which you now claim was on, say, day 8, instead of say 13).

So... by the time the meeting happened(day 8) and you disowned me(how could you dad?), I hadn't done anything wrong and was a model citizen.

Two things:

First, you said in the IC thread
Epswitch and his flock of chickens continue to live near the pond during the week at the small makeshift tent he setup. For the first couple nights he helps out on watch, but when he realizes that everyone is staying on the beach and that he isn't getting watched while he sleeps, he drops out of the arrangement by simply not showing up one night.

I (and I think others) read that to mean that you stopped watching in the middle of the first week.

Second, the meeting thread clearly states that
This occurs:
after week 1
after diving quest
after discovering water
after discovering fire clearing
during week 2
before pig hunt


And, when the meeting was first proposed in the IC thread it was clearly set for the first night of the new week.

So what we have here is one vast mess of miscommunication, and I haven't the slightest idea how to fix it and get the story running smoothly again.

Daryk
2008-02-28, 07:31 PM
Before we get too much deeper into an argument about building (or overbuilding) our shelter, I'd just like to point out that a keelboat will be sufficient to get us off this island. A keelboat only costs 3,000 gp, which compares very favorably to the housing costs outlined by the DM. Tano doesn't have sufficient ship or house building knowledge to know this, but it is certainly a point in favor of working on the ship vice a house. The shelter we have will keep the rain off, and the wind out, and I daresay that's enough to build the keelboat and get off the island.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-28, 07:59 PM
The problem with the various timelines are due to the number of posters, threads, and the cool but confusing "each week ingame is one week out of game" idea. What if Storyteller actually gave us some markers as to when each day was ending, thereby eliminating the need to constantly do "timeshift" calculations. I'm starting to feel like I'm watching the third "Back to the Future" movie or something.

If someone doesn't post one day, we can use his/her default action (posted on Sunday) as his action. If we post, we could actually be talking about and acting in the same day.

What do you guys think?

We could even do it a little less strictly (perhaps not by the day) and have an Early Week, Mid-Week, and Late-Week time period. Storyteller might say something like, "Ok, as of 12:00 tonight, it's midweek. No retroactive posts for Early Week after 12." or something like that.

lawful_evil
2008-02-28, 08:10 PM
Although the side quest threads help keep the main thread less cluttered, they really mess with the timeline. I'd really like to see people who do the sidequest leave the main thread for that week and return to the mainthread once everything is again synchronized in time.

Daryk
2008-02-28, 08:13 PM
That would be a good idea, except that the side quests so far have been one day (if that) affairs, not week long expeditions.

Lonna
2008-02-28, 09:26 PM
I like Zed's Dead's suggestion. That way storyteller can also say "This side quest takes place during Mid-week (or whatever)," and during that part of the week those who are posting in the side quest don't post in the main IC thread.

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 11:25 PM
I was under the impression that Epswitch and Imbrallius have their 'confrontation' after the meeting, due to the timestamp of the meeting vs. the timestamp of Epswitch stating he was skipping watch. That's why at the meeting, Imbrallius only disliked Epswitch because of his antagonism. I generally go by timestamp of when things are posted as to when they happened, with 'sidequests' taking the time from the initial post and events in the IC thread happening as they are posted relative to the post before.

Lonna
2008-02-28, 11:32 PM
I was under the impression that Epswitch and Imbrallius have their 'confrontation' after the meeting, due to the timestamp of the meeting vs. the timestamp of Epswitch stating he was skipping watch. That's why at the meeting, Imbrallius only disliked Epswitch because of his antagonism. I generally go by timestamp of when things are posted as to when they happened, with 'sidequests' taking the time from the initial post and events in the IC thread happening as they are posted relative to the post before.

See, this is exactly the problem... everyone is interpreting the timeline - and therefor events - differently. We need to have some way to better define when each event happens. For now, I think the best thing we can do to mend our conflicting timelines is move the time of the meeting to the end of the week, rather than the beginning of the week. However, that still doesn't completely mend the timelines. In any case, I'd like to see what storyteller has to say on the issue.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-28, 11:53 PM
See, this is exactly the problem... everyone is interpreting the timeline - and therefor events - differently. We need to have some way to better define when each event happens. For now, I think the best thing we can do to mend our conflicting timelines is move the time of the meeting to the end of the week, rather than the beginning of the week. However, that still doesn't completely mend the timelines. In any case, I'd like to see what storyteller has to say on the issue.

I agree. We need more structure in order to interpret our experience without this kind of temporal uncertainty.

Sicarius
2008-02-28, 11:56 PM
I disagree with moving the meeting's time. Epswitch's actions would likely be different. So would Imbrallius's.

Zed's Dead
2008-02-29, 12:01 AM
Good point. Let's have Storyteller weigh in on this.

By the way, I'm glad to really be in this now. Janson needed some time to recover and find his place. This is the first non-combat/standard rp I've ever done, and it hits a spot I didn't know I had.

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 01:51 AM
I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Luckily, nothing that is questionable in the time scale affects anything but player-player interactions. When the week ends, we'll set that as a certain time, and from then on, clearly delineate time.

As far as resolving player player interactions, lets say week starts Monday morning. Since everyone is "friends" on the pig hunt, we ought to consider it earlier,


Monday - Work - Find fire circle,
Monday night - Epswitch skips watch
Tuesday - Work - Pig Hunt - Imbrallius confronts Epswitch
Wednesday - Work -
Wednesday night - Meeting - Maria moves 1/2 out, Gil moves out, leadership and state of group heartily discussed, but left unresolved.

Lonna
2008-02-29, 02:00 AM
I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Luckily, nothing that is questionable in the time scale affects anything but player-player interactions. When the week ends, we'll set that as a certain time, and from then on, clearly delineate time.

As far as resolving player player interactions, lets say week starts Monday morning. Since everyone is "friends" on the pig hunt, we ought to consider it earlier,


Monday - Work - Find fire circle,
Monday night - Epswitch skips watch
Tuesday - Work - Pig Hunt - Imbrallius confronts Epswitch
Wednesday - Work -
Wednesday night - Meeting - Maria moves 1/2 out, Gil moves out, leadership and state of group heartily discussed, but left unresolved.

This works for me... lawful_evil, your conception of the timeline is most significantly different from this, what do you think?

Zed's Dead
2008-02-29, 02:12 AM
I'm on board as well. As he says, the only thing that's important at this point is that we haven't been acting under assumptions that we couldn't actually have, since time moves in only one direction. Of course, this all could be solved if either Dr. Who or Dr. Emmet Brown showed up...might ruin the story for us a bit, though. :smallamused:

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 07:28 AM
Epswitch would, of course, rather people think better of him, so he'd rather the meeting took place prior to his decision to stop standing watch at the beach. But.. that would require totally reworking lots of stuff, but it might make the meeting turn out to be more productive.

Is there a rewind button on this thing?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 12:50 PM
Epswitch would, of course, rather people think better of him, so he'd rather the meeting took place prior to his decision to stop standing watch at the beach. But.. that would require totally reworking lots of stuff, but it might make the meeting turn out to be more productive.

Is there a rewind button on this thing?

L_E, the best rewind at this point is an apology. If you are really serious about Epswitch wanting to mend fences, have him look up Ovias and apologise for skipping watch without telling anyone (seriously, without irony or sarcasm), and Ovias will apologise back - I promise. Now, we could quibble about the direction (i.e. if Ovias should look Epswitch up), but Ovias is a dwarf and thus unlikely to apologise first in any case, and also consider the difference between the situation: Epswitch promised to stand watch and did not, Ovias just overreacted.

Now, this needn't mean that we will be budies or anything (up to you, although a dwarf is slow to forget regardless), but it will be enough to remove the whole "thinking bad" going back to "thinking neutral" we had going on.

As I say, I think, at this point, it is the only realistic option short of Klingon ritual combat, and I think we may be in the wrong universe for that...

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 03:02 PM
See.. the problem with Epswitch is...

1. He moved up to the pond the first day and I totally missed the fact that no one else moved until the GM posted the map. I, as a person, could not fathom anyone wanting to live on the beach and thought everyone up and moved to the fresh water source.
2. He wouldn't have offered to help watch the group at the beach. He would have offered to help watch a group at the pond.
3. The only reason I had him drop out like that was that he shouldn't have been involved in the first place. He is only willing to help out a group that he is a part of and therefore helping him in return.
4. He is strongly possessive of his 'stuff', having never had much in his life and having spent years saving to come up with this cash to come and colonize.
5. He doesn't like Ovias and sees no benefit to having him as a friend.

So... I doubt you'll get an apology. Not at least until Epswitch sees a benefit in doing so. Sorry. Just to reiterate, I'm okay with you as a player, nothing personal. Its an Epswitch-Ovias thing... maybe a bit of Mara/Maria too.

If it'll make you happy, I have have him sneak up and murder Ovias in his sleep. :smallwink:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 04:06 PM
2. He wouldn't have offered to help watch the group at the beach. He would have offered to help watch a group at the pond.
3. The only reason I had him drop out like that was that he shouldn't have been involved in the first place. He is only willing to help out a group that he is a part of and therefore helping him in return.


Ok, then the way to have done that, in my opinion, would be attempt to ret-con it in OOC, explaining why since you misunderstood, you could not have volunteered. Or, in character, comunicate that for whatever reason* you no longer want to watch. However, by in-character attempting to ret-con by abandoning your post, you have made a major faux-pass. Suit yourself, but now that I've been pointed out to your character's aligment, I must say that breaking your word doesn't sound like what a legal character would do.

But again, suit yourself. I am far less worried about your actions, which I could predict (althoguh I still don't get what you were doing in the group meeting: make up your mind, are you or are you not part of the group?) as the un-RPed and OOC actions. Ovias and Ipswitch having a fight? Nothing. Players flaming me? Not cool.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

*Reasons: You ain't paying me, I ain't watching no more. I need to guard my chickens. I'm bored with this. Ovias smells. Etc. You've already stablished you're a selfish jerk, anything will do really.

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 04:33 PM
Before we get too much deeper into an argument about building (or overbuilding) our shelter, I'd just like to point out that a keelboat will be sufficient to get us off this island. A keelboat only costs 3,000 gp, which compares very favorably to the housing costs outlined by the DM. Tano doesn't have sufficient ship or house building knowledge to know this, but it is certainly a point in favor of working on the ship vice a house. The shelter we have will keep the rain off, and the wind out, and I daresay that's enough to build the keelboat and get off the island.

My character is all for the "get off the island" thing. however, even with a boat, i think we may be lacking knowledge of our own location and the skills/tools to operate it.

Daryk
2008-02-29, 04:46 PM
Roostin is a sailor, and thus has the skills we need. The real problem is that the only housing option we've been offered costs almost as much as a keelboat (as defined by the PHB, a 50-75 foot long craft capable of sea voyages, with a cargo capacity of 40-50 tons or 100 soldiers; i.e. serious overkill). Turning the two lifeboats into a catamaran capable of carrying all of us is more realistic, but that seems to fall into the same category as log cabins or grass huts. Bottom line is that until storyteller tells us different, it will take about the same amount of time and effort to build a ship or a house, and we don't have the manpower to do both simultaneously.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 04:47 PM
My character is all for the "get off the island" thing. however, even with a boat, i think we may be lacking knowledge of our own location and the skills/tools to operate it.

Very true - hadn't thought of that (I'm way too much of an engineer, clearly). Not to mention that small boats will not get us very far (we only have, being generous, one sailor, and it is one with very little actual sailing knowledge, and we'd need a half-dozen boats), and a big boat is unbuildable at this point, for the reasons I stated in the meeting (to whit: we have no nails, tar, or advanced knowledge. We also have no way to dry lumber at this point, nor a dock/dry dock and I'm sure there are other aspects of ship building I'm missing).

Of course, the DM may say that all we need to do is pile 1000 gp of lumber, wait two months and then we'll have a ship, but that's as realistic as saying that you give Ovias 1000 gp of stone and he can build a castle: it not only takes more than stone, it also requires knowledge that someone with four ranks (or five, or ten) cannot possibly have.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:07 PM
Roostin is a sailor, and thus has the skills we need. The real problem is that the only housing option we've been offered costs almost as much as a keelboat (as defined by the PHB, a 50-75 foot long craft capable of sea voyages, with a cargo capacity of 40-50 tons or 100 soldiers; i.e. serious overkill). Turning the two lifeboats into a catamaran capable of carrying all of us is more realistic, but that seems to fall into the same category as log cabins or grass huts. Bottom line is that until storyteller tells us different, it will take about the same amount of time and effort to build a ship or a house, and we don't have the manpower to do both simultaneously.

Where is that second lifeboat going to come from, though? The ship (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MW_Stormwrack/01_Stormwrack_150_ppi_dfg19.jpg) only had one, as far as I can see. Although I admit I had not thought of building a catamaran. It is an intriguing idea.

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-02-29, 05:13 PM
Storyteller's Tips: Dealing with the Continuity Issue

I'm sorry I can only offer tips because I don't have a solution. I hope these will help...


Avoid unnecessary threads. Most continuity issues have stemmed from the meeting you had in a separate thread. The meeting itself was wonderful roleplaying and I'm glad to have you in my game. Probably it's better to rp meetings in the main thread because a majority of characters is involved anyway.
If it helps you, just assume that all meetings and such are held early in the week (and are played in the main IC thread) and all optional quests are assumed to take place later in the week.
Avoid nitpicking. If there's a minor continuity problem, just ignore it. Sometimes it doesn't matter so much when something happens, just that it happens.


Eh, I've been fairly busy IRL so sorry to have you waiting for answers. But don't worry, <I'll be back!> :smallcool:

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 05:24 PM
Yeah, well... going back and fixing stuff is terribly complicated and I tend to just press forward. "Keep Moving Forward" and all that.


why was he at the group meeting?

1. He thinks the group should stay at the pond. He would like them to(so they can help keep him safe).
2. He wanted to make sure that a reasonable leader got picked. One that wasn't Ovias and one that was reasonable, would make reasonable decisions, etc.
3. At the point of the meeting, Epswitch wasn't trying to be alone. I didn't even realize I was alone until after the meeting started, so I wanted to try to get people to make a good decision(leave the beach).

Epswitch is not a loner.

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 05:25 PM
this is way beyond simply out of character, but has anyone considered that instead of waiting for the tribe to find us, we find them, kill them off, and take their shelter/food?

I know I know, I'm such a savage.

lawful_evil
2008-02-29, 05:29 PM
War! Huh! What is it good for?


Epswitch doesn't want to leave the island, so the boat thing isn't going to appeal to him. He doesn't want to go to war either, but might be willing to become an arms dealer.

:smallsmile:

Oh.. at the meeting he communicated the reasons he wasn't watching. Mainly that he was providing benefit without gaining benefit. No one watched him and his while he slept. Cash payment or service pledges would have been fine too, but he probably wouldn't have asked for anything like that. Of course, no one would even consider such an exchange.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:33 PM
this is way beyond simply out of character, but has anyone considered that instead of waiting for the tribe to find us, we find them, kill them off, and take their shelter/food?

I know I know, I'm such a savage.

If we did that, I'd give us even odds... of one of us surviving the attack enough to make it to the beach before getting hunted down. Seriously, we are commoners. The best AC we have is likely 12, if it is not 11. The best weapon, a rapier. If the village is about 20-30 strong, they'll have us for breakfast. If they catch us in the open, we'll be overrun. All we have going for us right now is that they don't know we're here... yet. And that won't last. If they are aggresive (and they have a bloodthirsty god, so that's fairly likely), we are in for a fun ride.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 05:39 PM
If we did that, I'd give us even odds... of one of us surviving the attack enough to make it to the beach before getting hunted down. Seriously, we are commoners. The best AC we have is likely 12, if it is not 11. The best weapon, a rapier. If the village is about 20-30 strong, they'll have us for breakfast. If they catch us in the open, we'll be overrun. All we have going for us right now is that they don't know we're here... yet. And that won't last. If they are aggresive (and they have a bloodthirsty god, so that's fairly likely), we are in for a fun ride.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

we don't know that they aren't a bunch of commoners too! they could be an agrarian society with no metal tools of any kind. Plus, we know they exist for sure, they might not expect us. they do write dragonic though :-( I wasn't seriously proposing any attack yet, I'm just saying we shouldn't assume because they are here already that they are some overpowering influence. If they were all that present, you think we would have found some, or at least tracks. maybe dead, and we could find abandoned village

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 05:42 PM
The whole watch thing was a snafu anyway, seeing as Epswitch wouldn't have volunteered, which changes a lot of the confrontation.

And why are we wanting to attack the natives? We already want to attack each other.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 05:47 PM
we don't know that they aren't a bunch of commoners too! they could be an agrarian society with no metal tools of any kind. Plus, we know they exist for sure, they might not expect us. they do write dragonic though :-( I wasn't seriously proposing any attack yet, I'm just saying we shouldn't assume because they are here already that they are some overpowering influence. If they were all that present, you think we would have found some, or at least tracks. maybe dead, and we could find abandoned village

I insist: these guys have a god that makes Khorne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khorne) look like a pale imitation. People who inscribe talk of drinking blood and everything else don't strike me as the kind to have a nice hippy-like pastoral village. I'd expect head hunters, trained militia, religious fanatics and chamans with access to some very nasty magic.

Yes, they could all be dead or have left the area, but I rather doubt it. Chekov's gun and all.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

smartaleq
2008-02-29, 05:47 PM
Suggesting the attack was, as I said, the player joking, not the character. Natives are scary. Ovias is scary too :smalltongue:

Daryk
2008-02-29, 06:17 PM
I thought there were two life boats because of this section of the first post in the IC thread by our esteemed DM:


...
The first mate ordered an evacuation. One of the passengers, a keen-eyed elf, had spotted dry land nearby and the two life boats of the ship were quickly filled. The rest of them had to swim.
...

(Emphasis mine)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-29, 06:35 PM
I thought there were two life boats because of this section of the first post in the IC thread by our esteemed DM:



(Emphasis mine)

Fair enough, I either missed it or long since forgot that. Thanks.

Grey Wolf

Yeril
2008-02-29, 07:11 PM
Just sharing my interpriation of the beach-camp Birdseye view, a Hastily thrown together shelter made from torn and repaired canvas, the two lifeboats dug into the sand/dirt, the stray timber log, and a network of awkward ropes holding it all in place in the form of lean-tos and tents.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Yerileikre/Canvasbase.png

I doubt its accurate at all, but its what I think of when I think of "Home" :smallbiggrin:

TwoCents
2008-02-29, 08:27 PM
I am not, nor have I ever, picked on Epswitch for whatever he has as aligment in the sheet, since I don't understand aligments. I have always responded to his actions.

You're right. I made an assumption as to why your character was acting in a certain way. I had noticed that for whatever reason, Ovias was, and had been from early in the game, hostile to Epswitch over and beyond what his actions seemed to warrant. Others suggested using the bodies as bait; others wanted to make sure they had what was coming to them; others argued with Ovias. Yet Ovias seemed to have more hostility to Epswitch than to other characters, and this hostility boiled over during the watch incident. There are people in the camp who have never stood a watch without a word of censure, yet Ovias suggested hanging Epswitch for missing his watch. I foolishly, and wrongly, assumed I knew what was in your head and why your character seemed so upset with Epswitch. I should not have, and I apologize.

Sicarius
2008-02-29, 09:21 PM
Question for Gil:
Is Gil planning on returning the mug he took without Imbrallius talking to him or no? It factors in my activities/lists.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-01, 12:57 AM
Ok, here is a revised suggestion on what to do with time.

Use days of the week. That's what they're there for!

What ever day it is in real time, lets make that our day.

Ex: Let's say that a group of five decides to go hunting for pig. They decide in IC thread on Sunday that they'll begin the hunt on Monday. It's an overnight trip, so they get back on Tuesday morning IC and real world.

On tuesday morning real world, the characters can post in IC time, even if they're playing out the piggy hunt thread for two or three weeks. It doesn't matter. Also, they know that all during Monday, they can't post.

What's wrong with that?

We've been going for just a few weeks, and we have several threads of several pages each. It's not like stuff wouldn't get done if we kept a 1:1 ratio on time passage.

At the beginning of each week (as we have already learned to do) everybody will post default actions. If Janson doesn't post on Wednesday, for example, he's doing his default action. If he posts on Thursday when the bloodthirsty frenzied natives attack, well, he's not going to do his default action. He's going to control his fate and try to survive the cannibals with nasty, nasty spears.

I think a day-by-day time movement would eliminate BTTF time holes and overlaps, which seem to be the biggest problem (other than the feud between the halfling and the dwarf) in this game.

If someone doesn't post, they're busy. If they do post, they get to interact. It's that simple.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 03:46 AM
Ok, here is a revised suggestion on what to do with time.

Use days of the week. That's what they're there for!

What ever day it is in real time, lets make that our day.

Ex: Let's say that a group of five decides to go hunting for pig. They decide in IC thread on Sunday that they'll begin the hunt on Monday. It's an overnight trip, so they get back on Tuesday morning IC and real world.

On tuesday morning real world, the characters can post in IC time, even if they're playing out the piggy hunt thread for two or three weeks. It doesn't matter. Also, they know that all during Monday, they can't post.

What's wrong with that?


What is wrong is that even the simplest actions take many days to RP in PbP. The sunken ship, which started and ended in the beach in the course of an afternoon took a week and a half to RP. The pig hunt, which again takes a day at most, an afternoon being realistic, is a week, and we are still waiting to be gored by the pig. The meeting, which took at most a few hours of impassioned speaching has taken us five days of actual RP. I'm fairly certain that even burying the bodies, done in the very first day, took at least two or three. If we guide ourselves by the RL days of the week, the game will make no sense.

TwoCents: Thanks, I appreciate that. And if you go back and read, Ovias was initially hostile to Zavulon, who suggested burning the bodies, too - they even got close to a fight. The difference was that Zavulon then helped, whilst Ipswitch continued to do nothing but make sarcastic comments and fun of people actually trying to help, which obviously gradually made the situation worse. And I have said many times that Ovias does not care if someone stands watch or not - he was angry at the breaking of a promise.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-03-01, 04:12 AM
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you meant that on Monday (real world) it's always Monday on the island, on Tuesday it's Tuesday, and so on.

I see two problems in this approach:

1. Many conversations in the IC thread span over several real world days. It's highly unrealistic to assume that in-character, the conversations last for days.

2. A player in Canberra asks a question on Tuesday and when another player in San Francisco answers, it's still Monday. "Tordek, how did you do that? I just asked you a question and now I feel like you already answered yesterday... I didn't know you had levels in Wizard..." :smallwink:

The game is only supposed to have two IC threads active at any time. The flow of time in the main thread is linear , i.e. actions posted later happen later. The same goes for optional quests.

Granted, some optional quests take more time to complete so there may be two quests active at the same time but I don't see this as a huge problem.

Now, if you assume that events in the main thread happen early in the week and quests later in the week, there should not be too many continuity issues. The main thread is primarily for roleplaying, and therefore, character deaths and other things that may cause serious continuity issues do not normally occur there.

The optional quests, on the other hand, take place later in the week and if someone dies there, it only affects the following week, not the ongoing week. In other words, if the beast in Piggy Hunt charges Ovias and bites off his head, it won't affect events in the main thread. Even his resource action for Week 2 is completed before he's officially dead. And that was just an example, don't worry Grey :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 04:33 AM
The optional quests, on the other hand, take place later in the week and if someone dies there, it only affects the following week, not the ongoing week. In other words, if the beast in Piggy Hunt charges Ovias and bites off his head, it won't affect events in the main thread. Even his resource action for Week 2 is completed before he's officially dead. And that was just an example, don't worry Grey :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I don't worry about the pig bitting off Ovias' head... Now, getting a tusk embeded in his chest, that is a different matter altogether... :smallbiggrin:

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-03-01, 07:47 AM
Female boars bite :smallwink: the damage die is smaller but it's still dangerous.

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 08:59 AM
Ovias had resource actions during week 2? He spent an huge amount of time butting into Epswitch's conversations to have been off working all week.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 09:54 AM
Ovias had resource actions during week 2? He spent an huge amount of time butting into Epswitch's conversations to have been off working all week.

I assume you're being both sarcastic and rhetoric, but since by DM fiat we work on mornings and RP on afternoons, if Ipswitch is free to walk around, so is Ovias. Not to mention that finding appropiate building stones and bringing them back to base does imply being in the base fairly often.

Grey Wolf

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 10:34 AM
By that same notion, did Epswitch have a resource action? He and Imbrallius spent an awful amount of time talking.

Yeril
2008-03-01, 10:55 AM
Can we get a read on who lives where?

as far as I know, Maria, Gil, Epswitch and Larry are all by the lake, and everyone else is on the beach.

storyteller
2008-03-01, 11:15 AM
Characters have arguments in-character and that kind of tension makes the IC thread oh so much more interesting to read :smallbiggrin: I like both Epswitch and Ovias very much as characters. But remember, keep your arguments IC - I don't want to see any useless bickering here in the OOC thread. Don't get personal and don't violate the CoC.

jagadaishio
2008-03-01, 01:00 PM
Can we get a read on who lives where?

as far as I know, Maria, Gil, Epswitch and Larry are all by the lake, and everyone else is on the beach.

Actually, Maria decided to find a tree to live in halfway between the pond and the beach. She isn't really at either.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 01:27 PM
I will now be living near my site, so near the pond as well i belive... :smallsmile:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-01, 02:05 PM
I will now be living near my site, so near the pond as well i belive... :smallsmile:

We'll know better where the site(s) is when the DM posts an updated map, but remember that "at the pond" means at the very edge of water - the site(s) are under trees so we are at least a little into the forest. We are certainly closer to the pond than before, but we are also closer to the beach than the pond-people :smallwink:

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-03-01, 02:20 PM
Each square (or character) on the map is 500 ft. x 500 ft. The places Eric and Ovias found for farming and building are in the same square as the pond. Therefore, no need to update the map.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 02:21 PM
We'll know better where the site(s) is when the DM posts an updated map, but remember that "at the pond" means at the very edge of water - the site(s) are under trees so we are at least a little into the forest. We are certainly closer to the pond than before, but we are also closer to the beach than the pond-people :smallwink:

Grey Wolf

oh right, ok then...

um...

I'll live in between my site and the lake... where ever that is

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 02:28 PM
Actually Epswitch (with an "E") doesn't seem to have any skills that require those long extended period. Sure, he can use some of them untrained, but... why bother.. he seems to get by just fine for now.

I thought those 'craft' and such skills took 'all day' or an 8 hour block kind of thing. I guess depending on how early you get started, you could have your afternoon open. Once you add in breaks for breakfast and lunch and such, you might have to start before sun-up.

[EDIT]

You people... I go shovel the driveway and come back and we are pages behind and suddenly all sorts of things seem to have happened while I was trying to hold a conversation....

Yeril
2008-03-01, 02:39 PM
So, week 3, everyone should either Explore, Untrained Lumberjack/Build, or Gather food, Hopefuly then we will have cleared enough land and built a more sturdy shelter.

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 03:18 PM
Bah, LE, a job makes me the most unprompt clerk in the universe

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 03:34 PM
I am totally on the brink of dropping this game because of time and continuity issues hurting my poor little brain.

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 03:36 PM
nooooooooooooo.

just cope, or even better, scan posts for your name, if they dont cantain them, dont read them...

Yeril
2008-03-01, 03:36 PM
I am totally on the brink of dropping this game because of time and continuity issues hurting my poor little brain.

Aww.. Don't, We like your character, and once we all get used to the time continuity issue, we will have worked out how to work around/with it and it wont be so much of a problem. :smallbiggrin:

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 03:44 PM
I'm in much the same boat. I love Rocky Horror as much as the next dude, but I'm doing the timewarp a lot.

lawful_evil
2008-03-01, 04:40 PM
Half the problem(okay maybe less), is my wife reading over my shoulder and adding commentary.

I feel like that guy on the show with that hair.

:smallcool:

Yeril
2008-03-01, 05:06 PM
Half the problem(okay maybe less), is my wife reading over my shoulder and adding commentary.

I feel like that guy on the show with that hair.

:smallcool:

Oooh, that guy. :smallcool:

sickler
2008-03-01, 05:45 PM
Get your wife to play Epswitch's split personality while you're away :b

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 07:04 PM
LE, I concede defeat. You do have a rougher time of it.

smartaleq
2008-03-01, 07:23 PM
Question for Gil:
Is Gil planning on returning the mug he took without Imbrallius talking to him or no? It factors in my activities/lists.

I consider it borderline irrelevant - count it in your stack and I'll put it back.

Sicarius
2008-03-01, 07:24 PM
Sorry, Imbrallius is excessively lawful and nitpicky. He does consider it relevant.

TwoCents
2008-03-01, 07:28 PM
Roostin

Roostin's actions in any given day:

Sleep: 8 hours

Watch: 2 hours (Mara's camp, if there are still more than one).

Daily housekeeping: 2 hours (wash up, wash clothes, maintain bedding, shave, etc.)

Work: 12 hours (Gather wood, pick rotten rope scraps into oakum, mend sails, fix boats)

Roostin is tired of arguing and is just going to "get 'er done."

If he needs to fend for himself for food, he will take whatever time he needs to forage (including fishing) and then work the remaining time. He will also resign from the watch list.

Should he have any spare time (lack of raw materials to work with, bad weather, etc.) he will do everything he can to help Eric because he really really really really really really would like a beer...soon.

Unless there's an expedition by boat (in which case he will go along to help since it was his suggestion), or is asked specifically to join by someone talking to him as a friend, Roostin will not join in the quests to search the island.

smartaleq
2008-03-01, 07:28 PM
understood, Gil minus one cup...check!

roostin-check PM

TwoCents
2008-03-01, 07:39 PM
Roostin is responding via PM

Edit: In his "spare time" this week (wk 2) Roostin will get a knotted rope up a tree at the beach/treeline to use as a lookout post to watch the sea. Roostin picks a tall, sturdy tree on the edge of the forest with a strong branch convenient for a lookout post.

He will spend the "hanging out with others" time splicing together 40 ft of knotted rope from the rope scraps. Once that's done, he will spend a morning getting the rope up the tree.

Throw rope up
Climb
Tie self to tree
Throw rope up further
Untie self
Climb some more
...

Watching Roostin do this might provide some comic relief...

Eventually, at the highest "safe" branch (safe enough to sit on and look out at the horizon, tie the rope off, sit back, and admire the sea. Maybe even look over at the interior of the island too.

Roostin will spend a minimum of ten minutes every morning at dawn watching the sea for signs of impending storms (Prof: Sailor +4) and any other ships out there.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-02, 04:35 AM
Roostin's actions

This should all go in the IC thread

Grey Wolf

Lonna
2008-03-02, 11:27 AM
Are the explorers all going out the same day?

jagadaishio
2008-03-02, 11:40 AM
Are the explorers all going out the same day?

I certainly hope not. That is possibly the most unsafe thing to do to a camp that I have ever heard.

Sicarius
2008-03-02, 11:46 AM
You could wrap yourself with bloody steak.

lawful_evil
2008-03-02, 12:15 PM
The first rule of 'Fight Club' Writers Guild is ...

Sorry, we went and formed a secret society. We were going to go with Dumbledore's Army, but that name was taken.

storyteller
2008-03-02, 02:16 PM
No, they're not. This is once again one of those things "assumed to happen sometime during the week" but you can choose a day of the week and tell everyone else in the IC thread, so others won't pick the same day.


Are the explorers all going out the same day?

smartaleq
2008-03-03, 11:15 AM
Just to verify: Epswitch, Roostin, Maria, are we ready to go? The plan is to head to the cliffs as well, but searching not for ore but for trails or signs of civilization. We'll use Epswitch's climbing and Roostin's and Gil's rope skills to scale, and when we find something, Maria can track it.

Should we leave the day before or the day after the ore group? If we leave after, they may find caves/etc. for us to go to. If we go before, we can make the area safer for them to climb and search.

Also, Elias, you are welcome to come as well, we may need you in case we need to send for help.

Finally, I'm glad we're all so literate that Gil can actually communicate :smallbiggrin: "Writer's Guild" it is!

smartaleq
2008-03-03, 11:56 AM
Are the explorers all going out the same day?I certainly hope not.
That is possibly the most unsafe thing to do to a camp that I have ever heard.
You could wrap yourself with bloody steak.

I laughed so hard at this I fell out of my chair

lawful_evil
2008-03-03, 12:01 PM
It doesn't really matter what day we go. We should start our thread ASAP, as these things take time...

If only GITP wasn't so slow today. Darn comics.

Fisher
2008-03-03, 01:34 PM
Just to verify: Epswitch, Roostin, Maria, are we ready to go? The plan is to head to the cliffs as well, but searching not for ore but for trails or signs of civilization. We'll use Epswitch's climbing and Roostin's and Gil's rope skills to scale, and when we find something, Maria can track it.

Should we leave the day before or the day after the ore group? If we leave after, they may find caves/etc. for us to go to. If we go before, we can make the area safer for them to climb and search.

Also, Elias, you are welcome to come as well, we may need you in case we need to send for help.

Finally, I'm glad we're all so literate that Gil can actually communicate :smallbiggrin: "Writer's Guild" it is!

Sure, Elias can help/will go. He'll be glad to do something other than forage for food for a day. :smallsmile:

My apologies to anyone who has typed something in my direction here in the OOC thread previously that I haven't responded to. When the thread originally started I forgot to subscribe to it.

smartaleq
2008-03-04, 09:47 AM
can someone refresh me on the rules of multi-grapple? flanking help the to hit? don't have access to the SRD where i'm at.

TwoCents
2008-03-04, 08:20 PM
Roostin is going with the first group he said "yes" to (Gil's group) and going to pawn off Tano until next week, unless our fearless DM comes back and says that Roostin can go out on two excursions and still get his week's work done.

Gee it's fun having a full dance card!

Lonna
2008-03-04, 08:31 PM
Roostin is going with the first group he said "yes" to (Gil's group) and going to pawn off Tano until next week, unless our fearless DM comes back and says that Roostin can go out on two excursions and still get his week's work done.

Gee it's fun having a full dance card!

Tano, Mara, and Ben (plus whoever else they can recruit) could still go on their own though, right? If we went later in the week, Eric should have recovered enough from the Piggy Hunt to join us, if he wants.

Lonna
2008-03-06, 08:39 AM
Seeing the woman attack, Epswitch smiles internally. Got what she had coming to her.. or was that the other woman?

I find it hilarious that Epswitch can't distinguish between Mara and Maria. Particularly since Mara, despite her personal opinion of him, occationally goes out of her way to be nice/helpful, if only cuz few others will be.

Edit: Does it count as a double post if the posts are two days apart?

smartaleq
2008-03-06, 11:23 AM
I find it hilarious that Epswitch can't distinguish between Mara and Maria. Particularly since Mara, despite her personal opinion of him, occationally goes out of her way to be nice/helpful, if only cuz few others will be.


Aye, but they've both been non-confrontational. Maria just leans independent, and Mara towards grouping

Sicarius
2008-03-06, 12:02 PM
Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. However, I've been fading in and out of coherence this past week or so. While I have moments of lucidity (like now), they are mired in headaches and nausea. Since this campaign required the most work, intellectually (number-crunching, post-combing, heavy RP), I took a break. It looks like it's clearing up, though. I have a trip to the hospital tomorrow morning, and if all goes well, I can be given something that might cure what ails me.

Lonna
2008-03-06, 03:36 PM
Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. However, I've been fading in and out of coherence this past week or so. While I have moments of lucidity (like now), they are mired in headaches and nausea. Since this campaign required the most work, intellectually (number-crunching, post-combing, heavy RP), I took a break. It looks like it's clearing up, though. I have a trip to the hospital tomorrow morning, and if all goes well, I can be given something that might cure what ails me.

Ouch, that doesn't sound fun. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeril
2008-03-06, 03:38 PM
Geet Betah Sooon! :smallcool:

Sicarius
2008-03-08, 12:47 AM
I'm so generous, I gave them a lot of my blood for study. They looked everything over, and well, since I'm not there, it must mean it's not terminal, right? No medecine, but everything except the coughing fits have died down to more manageable levels. I'll spend some Saturday catching up so we have a week 1->2 list and a week 2->3 list.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-08, 01:18 AM
Wow, Sicarius. Sounds like a tough time. Get better, friend.

Yeril
2008-03-08, 05:57 AM
Don't worry, Mara Totaly has like +8 to heal, you'll be better in no time. :smallbiggrin:

storyteller
2008-03-08, 08:39 AM
Get better, Sicarius! And don't worry about this campaign; I won't kill your character while you're away :smallwink:

lawful_evil
2008-03-09, 09:17 AM
So.. I thought that for healing...

1. If you have positive HP(1 or more) you could still do whatever you want during the day and rest at night gaining 1 HP/level. You heal faster if you don't do anything and rest for 24 hours(2 HP/level). If you get long term care, you get double one of those amount back(2 HP/level or 4 HP/level).

2. If you have zero or less, you can't do much of anything except rest. Taking standard actions causes 1 point of damage, so anyone attempting to do anything would notice right away.

2. So.. if you are positive and don't mind the healing taking a little longer you should still be able to work.

3. If that work has a circumstance penalty(due to the injuries, that is up to the GM, but nothing like that is detailed in the PHB).

Daryk
2008-03-10, 05:33 PM
@Grey Wolf: so storyteller ruled on a construction time for the palisade, then?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-10, 05:58 PM
@Grey Wolf: so storyteller ruled on a construction time for the palisade, then?

yep, he has. Ovias will be keeping the details to himself, though, so long as half the group wants black as soon as he suggests white.

Daryk
2008-03-10, 06:14 PM
Well, since Ovias is going to keep to himself the only argument that would sway Tano, they'll remain at loggerheads.

Yeril
2008-03-10, 06:33 PM
How many people are still active in this campaign?:smallconfused:

Fisher
2008-03-10, 06:50 PM
Still around. Wasn't able to post much over the weekend due to internet issues. Should have a post up later tonight.

Lonna
2008-03-10, 11:51 PM
I'm active... and wondering if anyone is going to respond to my attempt to organize a group to explore down the coast.

Daryk
2008-03-11, 05:14 AM
Tano's only interest is in rowing around the island, not exploring on foot.

lawful_evil
2008-03-11, 06:58 AM
Epswitch(and my brain) is still tied up dealing with the mesa/cliff/cave thing.

Lonna
2008-03-11, 07:43 AM
Tano's only interest is in rowing around the island, not exploring on foot.

Mara is fine with rowing around the island, I'm just not sure that either of the boats will be sea-worthy this week.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-11, 08:26 AM
Mara is fine with rowing around the island, I'm just not sure that either of the boats will be sea-worthy this week.

I'm obviously active, and I'd be interested in the walk on the beach (hopefully west-wise, there is quite a lot of unknown territory there), but it would have to happen on week 4 (storyteller already said we get repeat action on week 4)

Grey Wolf

Lonna
2008-03-11, 08:40 AM
I'm obviously active, and I'd be interested in the walk on the beach (hopefully west-wise, there is quite a lot of unknown territory there), but it would have to happen on week 4 (storyteller already said we get repeat action on week 4)

Grey Wolf

Well, we are in week 4 now. On Sunday I posted an IC inquiry into going down the beach, but didn't get any responses, thus my OOC inquiry.

So, first question - do we have a sea-worthy boat in week 4?

If so, who is interested in going counter-clockwise around the island? I know Tano and Mara both expressed interest, if Roostin is willing to sail the boat.

If we don't have a sea-worthy vessel, who wants to walk the same direction down the beach, besides Mara and Ovias?

smartaleq
2008-03-11, 09:23 AM
I'll pass on the boating/walking west, for now.
-Gil

Storyteller: what was the result of my building traps around the clearing? Should I spend another week developing them, or will I have more productive time for survival/gathering with Maria?

sickler
2008-03-11, 03:04 PM
Ben is still active (had one hell of a weekend though) and I'm interested in both walking or sailing around the island. Also, he might be getting antsy after a month of this sitting on an island business :b

Yeril
2008-03-11, 04:40 PM
Whats the scale on that map again?

Im going to do a full illustration.. hopefuly.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-11, 05:40 PM
Whats the scale on that map again?

Im going to do a full illustration.. hopefuly.

According to the DM, each symbol is 500*500 feet (i.e. 250000 square feet), if I have understood it correctly.

Grey Wolf

Zed's Dead
2008-03-11, 10:22 PM
If we don't have a sea-worthy vessel, who wants to walk the same direction down the beach, besides Mara and Ovias?

Janson will walk or row or swim.

Lonna
2008-03-11, 10:50 PM
Ok, we have 4 people (Mara, Ovias, Ben, and Janson) who are interested in walking down the beach. Since no one seems to know whether the lifeboats are sea-worthy (and I think it's unlikely, since Roostin started converting them to larger vessels only last week) does anyone have any objections to my starting an exploration thread on the assumption that we're walking? If not, do those concerned have suggestions for team name/leader?

Zed's Dead
2008-03-11, 11:19 PM
Lead on, Mara Herbswife!

Team walkabout?

Team shoreline?

Team wishicouldlevelsoicangetsomehp&skills?

Team remainder?

Team reluctant?

Team Herbswife?

Team plotpoint?

sickler
2008-03-12, 12:38 AM
Team SWM enjoys long walks on the beach

Lonna
2008-03-12, 12:45 AM
Team SWM enjoys long walks on the beach

What does SWM stand for?

sickler
2008-03-12, 02:40 AM
single white male, it was a joke about personal ads

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-12, 06:01 AM
single white male, it was a joke about personal ads

Hehehehe... I think it is the first time I find a joke funny *after* I had it explained to me.

How about "Westward Team"?

Grey Wolf

storyteller
2008-03-13, 11:15 AM
Go Westward team (or whatever you call it). Here's a theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39KZ2afBtLU)for you!

lawful_evil
2008-03-13, 12:13 PM
So... did I miss the IC thread post which said what the quest/info was for week 4? Do we not have an explicit quest for week 4?

smartaleq
2008-03-13, 12:47 PM
So... did I miss the IC thread post which said what the quest/info was for week 4? Do we not have an explicit quest for week 4?

I believe the writer's guild is exploring west still on week 3, so you are individually able to do a separate thing on week 4.

Since that is still in progress, I think i'll hold off on having Gil do anything.