PDA

View Full Version : my technomancer prestige class

its_all_ogre
2008-02-21, 05:25 AM
Technomancers are individuals who yearn to blend technology with magic and study extensively in that direction. these highly skilled people eventually forsake magic as an individual art in favour of learning rapid crafting, normally utilising alchemical procedures where possible.

Requirements: Must have trained with an existing Technomancer or have extensively studied the art from tomes.
Skill requirements: Craft: Alchemy 8 ranks, Craft: Enchantment focus 8 ranks, Knowledge: Engineering 4 ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 4 ranks
Feats: any item creation feat
Spellcasting:Able to cast level 3 spells.

Level Base attack bonus Fort Ref Will special
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 see below
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 see below
3 +1 +3 +1 +3 see below
4 +2 +4 +1 +4 see below
5 +2 +4 +1 +4 see below

Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Craft: all, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: architecture & Engineering, Open Lock, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Techno-crafting: Technomancers add their Technomancer levels to their craft checks as an un-named bonus.

Enchantment focus: Technomancers learn to craft items and enchant them as one single step, the crafting time is the only time that matters to a technomancer. The cost of the focus is half of the final enchanted value divided by 3. This amount of materials is needed to craft the item in question, once the item has been crafted it is enchanted and xp is deducted at this time.
example: to craft an amulet of natural armour +2 value 8000gp. 4000gp divided by 3=1333gp. so 1333gp worth of raw materials is crafted into an amulet, once this is finished deduct the xp necessary to enchant and the job is done.

At each level of technomancer the character is considered to know all spells of that level for crafting items only. no additional spells are learned and no additional spells are obtained to cast because of technomancer levels.

level 1

Technomancer gains the Grenadier feat: you are an expert with splash weapons and all manner of incendiary mixtures. you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls with splash weapons and a +1 bonus on the weapon's damage(including splash damage)

improved alchemical crafting: You may double your craft check so long as the result would enable you to finish an alchemical item.

Hourly crafting: A technomancer learns to craft incredibly fast thanks to his focus and magical training. you may make a craft check for every hour that physically demanding pursuits are not conducted (no combat, spell casting or conversation other than with close friends). this craft check is made in silver pieces, but it only applies for your enchantment focus creation, not alchemical devices.

level 2

bonus feat: a bonus feat is gained which must be an item creation feat or skill enhancing feat.

enhanced alchemical item: for every 5 you beat the craft DC by the item crafted is enhanced. damage causing creations (alchemical fire, acid, weapon capsules) do an additional die of damage. non damaging effects have the save DC increased by 1. this consumes the normal amount of materials. when used in conjunction with improved alchemical crafting you must beat the DC by 5 before doubling the check result.

level 3

Skill Focus: gain skill focus feat which applies to all craft skills.

Alchemical hourly crafting: you can now make hourly alchemical craft checks exactly like enchantment focus checks, the only difference is the work is done in coppers per hour, rather than silvers.

bonus feat: mad alchemist: see phb 2 page 94

level 4

bonus feat: a bonus feat is gained which must be an item creation feat or skill enhancing feat.

Alchemical potions: the Technomancer has found ways to use the brew potion feat as a purely alchemical process. From now on you may use alchemical crafting processes to brew potions at no cost of experience points.

level 5

Perfect Crafting: Now the Technomancer has practiced his art for so long that he is a perfectionist extraordinaire. From now on whenever a craft check is made, whether alchemy or enchantment skill or any other craft skill, the Technomancer has the option of increasing the DC to the exact result of the roll, thereby creating his item quicker than ever. you cannot take 10 with this skill.

(i made this for a player in my game who was not interested in advancing his spellcasting ability. the hjigh proportion of abilities at each level are designed to make up for a lack of spell advancement. he has yet to get into the prestige class so far, but is yearning to give it a go.)

Stycotl
2008-02-21, 11:39 AM
i'm certainly not the most qualified to reply to this, as crafting has never been a large part of our campaigns. but i do have some advice.

clean it up. use bold headers, use an actual table for the bab, saves, special abilities, etc. make it look good. that makes it easier to read, which in turn gets more people to read and then reply to it.

spellcasting progression: your player is probably one of only a handful that doesn't care about spellcasting progression. i would at least put in +1 caster level every other level or so. i don't see that this unbalances it, as crafting has never been seen as the uber way to gain power in my experience. in fact, i think that more casters would take more crafting feats if they didn't replace the *few* combat and magic feats that they could get otherwise, so i don't think that bonus crafting feats break the class.

i really like the alcehmical potions, both for xp and flavor reasons. good thinking.

'technomancer' doesn't do it for me. for one, it brings up images of the technocracy in mage:the ascension, which it is not. second, as i read the description, i am expecting implants and grafts (something for d20 modern), and find instead a rough, but nice crafting class. it doesn't really have anything to do with technology (though alchemy might be as advanced as they get), so i would change the name and the flavor description about tech if i were you. just a thought.

this is a crafting class, and a cool one, especially at a 5 levels condensed. but, it needs to be cleaned up and polished still.

aaron out.