PDA

View Full Version : Cliffhangers

Scorpina
2008-02-24, 11:42 AM
Suppose you're hanging off of a cliff. It's a Climb check to get back up, that much is obvious...but what if your good buddy wants to help haul you up? Aid Another, yes? But does he make a Climb check too, or a straight Strength? I'd think the former, given how Aid Another typically works, but some clarification wouldn't hurt.

My real question, though, is what you'd do (mechanically) to knock a person hanging off of the edge of a cliff to their DOOOOM (possibly while sneering 'Long live the king', but only if you're a lion voiced by Jeremy Irons...). Would you have to attack them? Bullrush them (I doubt this, since you're not charging towards them) make some kind of special Sunder attempt? I really have no clue.

Anyone want to help a sister out?

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-24, 12:02 PM
How about a straight attack on the helpless fingers? I reckon that'd be against an AC without armour bonus and without Dex- bonus with a hefty +4 modifier for the attack for being elevated?

LCR
2008-02-24, 12:04 PM
Do you really have to roll for stepping on someone's fingers ...?

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-24, 12:08 PM
Ha-ha-ha, well, by RAW, if ye get a natural 1, ye'll still miss... and then yer foot might step on a loose bit of cliff and then ye'll be the one plummeting to an almost certain doom.

FlyMolo
2008-02-24, 12:14 PM
Ha-ha-ha, well, by RAW, if ye get a natural 1, ye'll still miss... and then yer foot might step on a loose bit of cliff and then ye'll be the one plummeting to an almost certain doom.

I recommend this. An attack roll to hit their finger, which are a tiny object, then they can roll a concentration check. DC 10+damage, perhaps, to hang on?
Natural ones on the attack roll cause you to fall off. Most entertaining.

Zenos
2008-02-24, 12:15 PM

Except if yer a lvl 20 barbarian with maxed CON. Falling damage in D&D is, after all, ridiculous.

I would say just make a coup de grace on his fingers and if it is above a certain hit points treshold he falls to his doom moderate falling damage.

Scorpina
2008-02-24, 12:16 PM
I recommend this. An attack roll to hit their finger, which are a tiny object, then they can roll a concentration check. DC 10+damage, perhaps, to hang on?
Natural ones on the attack roll cause you to fall off. Most entertaining.

So Concentrate or fall? I'd say that makes sense.

*takes notes*

Lemur
2008-02-24, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure Concentration checks make sense conceptually. You may not be distracted by someone trying to pry your fingers loose, but that's not going to stop them from doing it. More to the point, there's going to be an odd discrepancy between the people with ranks in Concentration (spellcasters, a fair amount of who are rather weak and fragile) and the people who don't (everyone else, including combat types who are supposed to be as tough as nails).

I'd rule it as a Trip attack. Trip is already used to dismount people from horseback, not just knocking them over, which suggests to me that Trip can be used as a catchall for making-fall-down-go-boom.