PDA

View Full Version : Best 3rd level divination spell?

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-27, 05:53 AM
So, I'm playing a Sorceror going for loremaster, and wondering what 3rd level divination I should take for my prereq at 7th level. Before you ask "why sorceror into Loremaster", there are no wizards in the setting- sorceror and bard are the only arcane casters.

Pretty much any sourcebook is theoretically open, so long as I can convince the GM that it won't break the game.

I'm currently looking at clairvoyance/clairaudience.

Kyace
2008-02-27, 06:36 AM
Arcane Sight is pretty nifty. Detect Metal and Minerals from Races of Faerun could be fun way to find people (I mean, who doesn't have coins, metal weapons or such on them) or exploit your geological/chemical knowledge. "Do I detect any saltpetre?"

Douglas
2008-02-27, 06:36 AM
You might want to take a look at this guide to divinations (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=969772). Specifically for 3rd level spells, there's Arcane Sight and Tongues in core and Unluck from the Spell Compendium. Alter Fortune from the PHBII would be good too if not for the XP cost.

AslanCross
2008-02-27, 06:41 AM
alter fortune from PHB2 is an immediate action that causes the target to reroll any die roll it's just made. He has to take the second roll regardless of result. The problem is it costs 200 XP to cast. No saving throw, no resistance.

unluck (Spell Compendium) has both a saving throw and resistance:yes, but causes the victim to reroll all saving throws, attack rolls, damage rolls ,etc. He has to take the worse result.

Edit: Ninja'd. >_<

SilentNight
2008-02-27, 10:14 AM
I have to second (Or third?) Arcane sight simply because it's one of my all time favorite spells.

SamTheCleric
2008-02-27, 10:15 AM
I'll join the Unluck crowd... making the DM roll twice for everything makes him a happy man... really!

:smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-27, 10:57 AM
I'd say you'd probably get the most use of of Unluck due to how it would come in useful for really tough enemies while other Divinations may not be as helpful (the fact that your spelliset is so limted means you should pick spells you will use a lot, and I don't know if Arcane Sight, Tongues or Detect Minerals would be used that much next to Unluck).

Squash Monster
2008-02-27, 11:53 AM
Unluck, Alter Fortune, and Arcane Sight are your best choices. Which you pick depends on what you feel like you're missing.

If you feel like you need more actual Divination, Arcane Sight is the way to go. It's the only one of the three that actually gathers information.

If you'd like one of the best level three debuffs in the game, go for Unluck.

If you'd like the ability to save your hide at will, Alter Fortune is a good choice. However, I'd recommend saving it for later, when you have more spells per day and your level three slots are not as important.

Keld Denar
2008-02-27, 12:12 PM
I don't really like Unluck...its a cool concept, but unfortunately, it has a save. If it fails the save vs Unluck, it could have likewise failed the save vs something that would completely kill/maim/disable it. If it had no save, it would be so immensely useful (killer with Chain Spell), but otherwise, actions are worth too much to spend on a save or save or die.

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-27, 05:48 PM
What other 3rd level de-buff would you compare it to? Hold Person gives a save every round to break its effect.

Keld Denar
2008-02-27, 06:28 PM
Eh, Glitterdust targets the same save, multiple targets, and is a level lower. Much better debuff IMO. That'll last you through until you get 4th level spells for Enervation, a real debuff, because it has no save.

Frosty
2008-02-27, 06:34 PM
Deep Slumber isn't bad.