PDA

View Full Version : An Archer... Make it better! You have the technology!

SamTheCleric
2008-03-01, 08:44 PM
Human
Fighter 6/Order of the Bow Initiate 5
Stats (not sure, 32 point buy)

1- Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
2- Rapid Shot
3- Dodge
4- Weapon Specialization (Longbow)
6- Mobility, Shot On the Run
9- Ranged Disarm

-
My thought is that I can rapid shot some tasty disarming action, stand still and get a few shots off, or use shot on the run to get some mobility and precision damage to the shot.

...How can this be better (WITHOUT being a scout)?

esoteric scribe
2008-03-01, 09:09 PM
*Ranger 2/Fighter 18

Note: Even though the levels of Ranger give you Rapid Shot, you still need Point Blank Shot to qualify for other feats since you're going down the Fighter tree. Shame since most likely you won't be within 30ft of melee most times. But the skill boost and favored enemy are a nice touch, both thematically and statistically speaking.

RANGER 2
H Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Greatbow
1 Weapon Focus: Greatbow
2 Rapid Shot

FIGHTER 18
3 Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
4 Far Shot
6 Manyshot, Weapon Specialization: Greatbow
8 Improved Rapid Shot
9 Improved Critical: Greatbow
10 Greater Weapon Focus: Greatbow
12 Improved Precise Shot, Ranged Weapon Mastery
14 Greater Weapon Specialization: Greatbow
15 Improved Initative
16 Ranged Disarm
18 Ranged Pin, Improved Toughness
20 Weapon Supremacy: Greatbow

For equipment, Greater Bracers of Archery & Gloves of Dexterity and a Composite Greatbow of whatever your Strength is.

It's not flashy by any means, but it gets the job done.

*As suggested by Chronos.

Ryuuk
2008-03-01, 10:11 PM
Hmm, straight fighter for archery... Since you will almost always be getting the full attack, Focus and Specialization look a bit better, especially since it's a bit harder to get +Damage on a bow.

I'm not sure about shot on the run on the original build though. OotBI's Precise Shot asks you to take a standard action for the attack, Shot on the Run asks that you use the attack action. If you could somehow get a fly speed (you're level 10, so a raptoran would give unlimited flight, though you're already human) and take Flyby Attack, you could do the Precise Shot no problem.

Chronos
2008-03-01, 11:48 PM
Any reason you're not swapping out two levels of fighter for ranger? You'd get one archery feat from those two levels either way, but ranger would also give you a bunch of other benefits (more skill points, including Hide, Move Silently, Listen, and Spot as class skills, tracking, a favored enemy). Your HP would be slightly lower, but that's not as much of an issue for an archer as for a front-liner.

esoteric scribe
2008-03-02, 12:15 AM
Chronos: Good point and I've edited my post to reflect that.

Kyace
2008-03-02, 07:20 AM
Hmm, straight fighter for archery... Since you will almost always be getting the full attack, Focus and Specialization look a bit better, especially since it's a bit harder to get +Damage on a bow.

I'm not sure about shot on the run on the original build though. OotBI's Precise Shot asks you to take a standard action for the attack, Shot on the Run asks that you use the attack action. If you could somehow get a fly speed (you're level 10, so a raptoran would give unlimited flight, though you're already human) and take Flyby Attack, you could do the Precise Shot no problem.

The Raptoran footbow is a decent weapon replacement to composite bows as well. It has the added effect of allowing two handed draws, letting you deal 1.5x your STR bonus to damage (up to 1.5x the composite rating), not to mention it is a martial weapon for Raptorans. There are also a few feats that synergies well with Raptoran such as Plunging Shot (+1d6 damage if you fire downwards, not precision, works 30'+ feet away), Mountain Warrior/Hill Fighter (Not great but +1 to attack isn't lousy when you'll be above your foe most of the time)