PDA

View Full Version : Iron Kingdoms Homebrew, Changes and Notes

Leon
2008-03-02, 11:45 PM
Just thought id share my list of things for everyone to see and think upon
More will be added as i think of them up until i start running the Witch Fire Trilogy in a month

All Classes step up in Skill points (i.e. 2>4, 4>6 etc)
Paladins Special Mounts follow the rules for a Core Druids Companion (paladin level is effective druid level)
All Druids use the NQ Druid – If you’re a Human, your are a Member of the Circle non hums don’t need to worry about affiliation but do still suffer from Dread with “city folk”
+1 LA Races Start at Level 1 with everyone else – don’t get next level till 3000xp has been acquired
Don’t for get the pain of healing rules
All humans use the racial options
Nyss & Iosans: better have a GOOD reason for playing one
Bard Healing spells convert damage to Subdual (No PoH)
Once the avg level is high enough Higher LA PCs are possible (But some may face restrictions or negative attitudes)
No Skorne PCs (maybe later)
Gun Mages: Don’t expect to get a mage lock till approx 5th or 6th level
Ammo Costs will be the Lower of the listed unless other wise noted
Ask about any non core spells you want to learn – just to check if it’s ok to use
No Ogrun Arcane Spell casters. Period
No Psionics (they are cool, but don’t fit)
No Blighted PCs
Evil PCs are acceptable but you’ll be expected to get along with everyone else to a reasonable degree
Crime doesn’t pay, there are consequences.
Mess with the Dragons at your own risk
Alignments may be different to what you expect: Trolls are not evil – Just Hungry
Bonus XP for Good Role-playing
Most classes and PrCs will be acceptable – But do check just in case
No Oriental Crap (i.e. Samurai, Ninja etc)
Liber Mechanica Amk is the one to use
If you come from Khador and choose a spell caster as a class – you must also choose Greylord [Society] as your 1st feat
Craft Thrall: Costs 50xp & 60gp per HD
Sorcerers get Eschew materials as a Bonus feat at 1st level
PCs make take 1 Flaw at 1st level – and it must be a Flaw that affects your PC in a meaningful way
No Divine Meta magic
Spontaneous Spell casters must start in that class at 1st level – you were born with that power
Skills changed as Follows: Spot and Listen = Notice
: Hide & Move Silently = Stealth

Notice is a Class Skill for Everyone

Suzuro
2008-03-02, 11:53 PM
I've never gotten a chance to play and Iron Kingdoms game (Always wanted to though), but I'll still put in my two cents.

I can understand where some of them are coming from, like combining skills for simplicities sake, but with this, you also up the amount of skillpoints, so this is either a poor choice (debatebly) Or you want your PC's to be more powerful, which is what a lot of people do.

On the gun mage, I can understand them not receiving a mage lock until 5th or 6th, but do you just have them use regular pistols until then, or simply fight like they shouldn't?

Anyways, these are just my opinions, so don't mind them if you don't want to, overall, however, I think these are legitimate and well thought out house rules.

-Suzuro

Nebo_
2008-03-03, 12:15 AM
Bard Healing spells convert damage to Subdual (No PoH)
That's a bit of a nerf for the Bard. I'd rather the PoH

No Ogrun Arcane Spell casters. Period
Makes sense.

No Psionics (they are cool, but don’t fit)
Also makes sense.

Crime doesn’t pay, there are consequences.
I beg to differ. From experience as a grifter in an IK game, crime pays very well. You're right about the consequences, unfortunately.

Mess with the Dragons at your own risk
If someone is dumb enough to go near a dragon, they deserve to die.

No Oriental Crap (i.e. Samurai, Ninja etc)
Even if you're from Zu?

Sorcerers get Eschew materials as a Bonus feat at 1st level
I can't remember which page, but most combat spells in IK don't actually need a material component anyway. You may ignore the first 100gp in cost.

Spontaneous Spell casters must start in that class at 1st level – you were born with that power
What if you just unlock that power later?

Skills changed as Follows: Spot and Listen = Notice
: Hide & Move Silently = Stealth

Notice is a Class Skill for Everyone

Is good.

Leon
2008-03-03, 12:27 AM
On Gun mages - use normal pistols (and wear them out)

on Skills - im a bit undecided, i like the idea of people having more skills to do things with (particuly with the need for various craft checks and such for firearms).
its meant to boost the fighter more than anyone else, i suppose that i could up that classes skill points instead of a overall boost

That's a bit of a nerf for the Bard. I'd rather the PoH
its something i picked up off the PP forums

I beg to differ. From experience as a grifter in an IK game, crime pays very well. You're right about the consequences, unfortunately.

Ok, some crime does pay quite well - but on the whole its there for those who like to think being a Adventure makes them immune to retribution

Even if you're from Zu?

Yup, you can just theme something else to be exotic

I can't remember which page, but most combat spells in IK don't actually need a material component anyway. You may ignore the first 100gp in cost.

Ah, i'd forgotten that

What if you just unlock that power later?

Hmm, there are points for and against both

Ceiling009
2008-03-03, 03:42 AM
Always thought the Skorne had the Samurais and the Ninjas. Out of everything else, they seem the most likely have them. Zu always seems more South American. I don't like the skill folding unless you basically fold most of them, like they did in SAGA edition of Star Wars, but more skill points are useful over all, especially for people who need to use guns, mechanika, or even decent weaponry. Building a 4 barrel pistol is much cheaper than actually buying one.