PDA

View Full Version : The Eklaad [Race]

Obrysii
2008-03-03, 01:50 PM
I came across this species of the same name (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eklaad) on Wookiepedia, and had to translate it into D&D.

I posted this on the WoTC forum, but this forum gets far better feedback so... :p

Eklaad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/obrysii/Eklaadalen.jpg

History: Evolved from small elephants, the Eklaad are an intelligent off-shoot of typical elephants, but have maintained a similar way of life. Their history is one of war and subjegation, having been frequently enslaved for their brute strength. Some herds have gained their freedom, however, after evoking the sympathies of local druids.

Personality: Peaceful, fretful creatures, Eklaads do not like battle if they can indulge in parlay. They would rather talk than march, but understand that if fighting is required, they must.

Physical Description: Thickly muscled and thickly armored, Eklaads are quadrupeds whose legs end in flat hoof-like feet, like those of an Elephant. These limbs cannot manipulate objects, but fortunately, the Eklaad has been blessed with a three-digit trunk that is supple and strong. It is capable of wielding a single weapon with this trunk, or use it for somatic components for spells. It otherwise looks like a small, more slender, elephant.

Alignment: Neutrality defines the Eklaad, being neither good nor evil but possessing the capability for both. As they are largely peaceful beings, they tend to avoid upsetting or tipping the balance of nature.

Relations: Orcs and Half-Orcs, as well as other more manipulative races, find these creatures easy to use, and so many Eklaad’s relationships with other races are that of master and slave. To those who offer freedom, Eklaads try their hardest to get past any preconceived notions.

Religion: Eklaads worship the great elephant god Elphant, a minor deity whose domains include Animal, Earth, and Protection.

Names: Eklaads each have a name in their own native tongue, which is unpronounceable and nearly unhearable for a typical humanoid. They often take on a second name, usually provided by their slavemaster or traveling companion.

Languages: The heavy bass song language of Ekla. Bonus Language: Common

Adventurers: Fighters, Barbarians, and Rangers are the most commonly found Eklaads, though Eklaad clerics are not unheard of.

Racial Traits:

Str +6, Dex –2, Con +2, Wis +2. Eklaads are strong, clumsy, durable and wise.
Medium-sized. Eklaads have no size bonus or penality.
Speed: 40ft.
Monstrous Humanoid
Powerful Build (ex): The physical stature of Eklaads lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Eklaad is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Eklaad is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

An Eklaad is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An Eklaad can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Trunk (ex): Eklaads possess a prehensile trunk ending in three digits that is capable of manipulating objects. As they are quadrupeds, this is their primary way of interacting with the world. The trunk is supple enough for spellcasting, or for wielding a weapon. An Eklaad can only wield one weapon at a time, but that includes two-handed weapons such as a crossbow or greatsword.
Fretful (ex): Eklaads fear easily, taking a –4 racial penalty on Fear effects.
Nonhumanoid form: Armor must be especially designed for the Eklaad, and thus cost twice as much.
+4 racial bonus on Balance.
+4 racial bonus on Bull Rush attempts.
-4 racial penalty on Jump checks.
-6 racial penalty on Climb checks.
Natural Armor +4. The Eklaad’s leathery hide is extremely durable.
Racial hit dice: The Eklaad has two racial HD, providing 2d8 hp, +2 BaB, and other benefits of monstrous humanoids. Their class skills are Survival, Profession, Spot, and Listen.
Favored Class: Fighter
LA +2

What’s everyone’s opinion?

FlyMolo
2008-03-03, 04:06 PM
I distinctly approve. I really like these.

The one-hand-trunk thing is a bit of a nasty penalty, though. I mean, these are really well suited for fightery types, and fightery types work best with two weapons or two-handed weapons. And did you leave out "can wield weapons one size larger without penalty" from powerful build on accident or on purpose?

I would recommend allowing them to wield 2-handed weapons in their trunk as normal, despite having only one hand.

Obrysii
2008-03-03, 04:24 PM
I distinctly approve. I really like these.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

And did you leave out "can wield weapons one size larger without penalty" from powerful build on accident or on purpose?

Nope, I copy-and-pasted from the Half-Giant entry in the SRD, but I seemed to have missed a paragraph. Thank you. I will edit my first post.

I would recommend allowing them to wield 2-handed weapons in their trunk as normal, despite having only one hand.

Would they remain balanced at ECL 4 with that?

jagadaishio
2008-03-03, 07:19 PM
Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Nope, I copy-and-pasted from the Half-Giant entry in the SRD, but I seemed to have missed a paragraph. Thank you. I will edit my first post.

Would they remain balanced at ECL 4 with that?

Yes. The whole point of the awesomeness of two-handed weapons is that you can't hold a shield or second weapon in the off hand.

Lyndworm
2008-03-04, 03:09 AM
I really enjoy it, and may include it in a campaign, but I do have an issue with it. You list th price for armor as x1.5 the standard amount, but the SRD states that a creature of medium size that requires non-standard armor pays x2. Just thought that I'd tip you off.

Obrysii
2008-03-04, 07:33 AM
I really enjoy it, and may include it in a campaign, but I do have an issue with it. You list th price for armor as x1.5 the standard amount, but the SRD states that a creature of medium size that requires non-standard armor pays x2. Just thought that I'd tip you off.

Oops, thank you. I was going off memory for that, and goofed.

I will edit that, and alter it so that it can wield a two-handed weapon.

Lyndworm
2008-03-05, 03:38 AM
Glad I could help. Again, a very interesting race.