PDA

View Full Version : My tribute... [Vestige]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-03-05, 01:54 AM
Gygax, the Maker
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/OotsGaryGygax.jpg
Vestige Level: 8
Binding DC: 34

At first a mere mortal, but through strength of will and countless followers, he became a legend. Those bound to Gygax are able to harness some of his great influence and intelligence, as well as power over random chance.
Legend: In the beginning, Gygax was a mere mortal creature, young and full of ideas. His ideas were small at first, but even the mightiest of trees started out as tiny seeds. His creation became a world all it's own, a thing of wonder and beauty that was loved by many the world over. At some point he lost control over it, but it was still attached to his name and his legacy and became even greater.
In the end, even though he was a being of near godly power, he was still a mortal. In his age, and complications with alchemical and magical medicines, he left the material plane and his physical body. But a being of such power and legacy could not be extinguished, and he now exists as a great vestige.
Special Requirements: The binder must place a 20-sided die in the center of Gygax's seal to bind him.
Manifestation: Gygax manifests himself as a tubby old man wearing a robe of clattering dice of all kinds, sitting behind a small desk covered in papers, with lots of notes scribbled on them, and with many many different sided dice, including the one you left on his seal. He greets you with a smile, and begins to say "It's a..." He then rolls a die, "...pleasure to meet you!" and listens to your plea with a smile.
Whenever he speaks, his sentence is usually apparently determined by the roll of a die, though his response or more often than not relevant to what the binder's said.
Sign: You become slightly pudgier than usual and your hair grays slightly.
Influence: Those under the influence of Gygax cannot resist the urge to determine their actions by random chance, and through the use of dice if they're available. If it requires it, you must also write a table to determine the percentage chance of all your choices.
Granted Abilities:
Gygaxian Dungeon: As a full-round action, a binder bound to Gygax can use a special version of the maze spell on an opponent. It follows the same rules for the maze spell, except if they do not escape at the end of the 10 minute duration, they die within the dungeon, never to be seen again. This ability cannot be used again until 5 rounds after the duration expires or the victim escapes the dungeon.
Gygax's Influence: You harness just a bit of the infinite influence over his followers that Gygax had. You gain the benefits of the Leadership feat, with a bonus to your leadership score equal to half your binder level. Once unbound to Gygax, your followers leave you within the hour, but will remain with you if you bind him again the next day. You cannot use this ability unless you show Gygax's sign.
Master of Random Chance: Gygax grants you his influence over random chance. You may choose to reroll any attack, check, save or anything determined by a d20 and take the better of your two rolls. Once this ability is used it cannot be used again for 5 rounds.
Wit and Charm: Despite how many saw him, Gygax was a being of great intelligence and charisma, and you take in some of that. You gain a +6 enhancement bonus to both Ingelligence and Charisma while bound to Gygax.

Icewalker
2008-03-05, 02:14 AM
Thank you. This is amazing.

I need to decide whether I'm going to put a tribute in my sig. Seems worthwhile, certainly.

Atticus Bleak
2008-03-05, 02:39 AM
I salute you for a well-done tribute, my friend. Way to use those ranks in Craft (tribute). He will be missed.

Overlord
2008-03-05, 02:49 AM
Good work. That's a very sweet tribute. :smallsmile:

BisectedBrioche
2008-03-05, 02:57 AM
Awesome. Nice reference to that episode of Futurama too.

DracoDei
2008-03-05, 03:17 AM
Hmmm... my knowledge of the rules for vestiges is limited in the extreme, but am going to take a flying leap and assume that vestige level is approximately equivalent to spell level for what character levels get access to it... in which case 8th works as from what I have read in the last few hours he was extremely approachable. I was originally going to say that he should be epic level to bind... but no... this works much better I think.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-03-05, 03:21 AM
Hmmm... my knowledge of the rules for vestiges is limited in the extreme, but am going to take a flying leap and assume that vestige level is approximately equivalent to spell level for what character levels get access to it... in which case 8th works as from what I have read in the last few hours he was extremely approachable. I was originally going to say that he should be epic level to bind... but no... this works much better I think.

It's not quite spell level equivalent, 8th is the highest you can go.

Kizara
2008-03-05, 03:41 AM
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here for a moment and say this isn't really 'wierd' enough to be a vestige.

Like, maybe if he wore a robe made out of dice. Or, well, I'm not sure, but most of the vestiges, even if they are fairly straightforward, are extremely odd versions of themselves.

Maybe he rolls dice to determine everything he says, and the vestige includes tables to determine that.

Maybe you have to too when you show his sign.

You get the idea.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-03-05, 04:14 AM
I weirded him up a little in his manifestation, but I decided a chart would be unnecessary because it's just fluff. I liked the dice robes though, so I used that.

SurlySeraph
2008-03-05, 10:47 PM
It's very strong but, well, it's supposed to be. Good job.