PDA

View Full Version : Woops! that was dumb!

MR.PIXIE
2008-03-06, 09:43 AM
Ok, i was at a school dance the other day.
I bump into this girl who's prety hot.
so, i want to start a conversation, i notice she is wearing a diamond necklace. I point and say... oh lord:smallsigh: ... i say ''Are those real?!??''
It took me a while to realise why she had a mix of these faces
:smalleek: :smallyuk: :smallannoyed: :smalleek:
she looked like she was about to cry so i say '' Im sorry,i was talking about your(shouldn't have said that) diamonds'' she storms off saying '':smallfrown: Im not stupid!!''
I felt realy bad.

RandomLogic
2008-03-06, 09:46 AM
You sir, get the smooth operator of the day award. Congrats!

Edit: I just thought of the dumbest/awkwardest thing I've said to a woman in recent memory. A friend and I were at a bar just shooting the stuff because it was after graduation. So I've been getting shot down by every woman I've talked to all night, but who cares I'm having fun. So we decide to pick the two single women in the bar who are decent looking. Blah blah blah some conversation later, they are both 35-40.... my friend and I are 22 at the time. One was in some long term relationship and the other had a daughter we should have been hitting on. It was just the weirdest thing because they both didn't look anywhere near that old.. It really ruins a conversation when you bring up your daughter and or boyfriend.... Just quite an odd experience. You have me beat though for making her cry! ;)

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-03-06, 09:53 AM

I would have offered her a ice pack. You'll seem like an 'ice fellow and you also get coolness factor added in there, next time you would have seen her after, water you know, she would have melted at the sight of you.

Although your actual plan of attack was pretty good as well.

Phase
2008-03-06, 10:04 AM
I would have offered her a ice pack. You'll seem like an 'ice fellow and you also get coolness factor added in there, next time you would have seen her after, water you know, she would have melted at the sight of you.

Although your actual plan of attack was pretty good as well.

I don't quite understand what plan of action you're trying to illustrate here. are you saying that he should have offered her an ice pack to keep her cool and then she'll melt if she doesn't have one?

Raiser Blade
2008-03-06, 10:28 AM
so, i want to start a conversation, i notice she is wearing a diamond necklace. I point and say... oh lord:smallsigh: ... i say ''Are those real?!??''
she looked like she was about to cry so i say '' Im sorry,i was talking about your(shouldn't have said that) diamonds'' she storms off saying '':smallfrown: Im not stupid!!''
I felt realy bad.

Wow. :smalleek:

I think it wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't clarify that you were talking about the diamonds. I mean sure it still could have been awkward but not as much.

Magnor Criol
2008-03-06, 10:39 AM
I don't quite understand what plan of action you're trying to illustrate here. are you saying that he should have offered her an ice pack to keep her cool and then she'll melt if she doesn't have one?

No, he was trying (and succeeding) to make a chillingly quality series of puns. Clearly, he's a cold-hearted punster, and that's no snow job.

(I regret that my series of puns doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell next to his, but unfortunately he already used most of the good ones.)

Brickwall
2008-03-06, 11:04 AM
So there is actually a situation that is LESS awkward if you find yourself speechless and try to mime everything. Good to know.

dehro
2008-03-06, 12:50 PM
It really ruins a conversation when you bring up your daughter and or boyfriend.... Just quite an odd experience. You have me beat though for making her cry! ;)

try hitting on a blonde girl only to find yourself stalked groped by the drunk mother she's brought along to try and forget the recent death of her father (and of course the drunken lady's husband)..picture all of this in the marina bar of a rainy Scottish Sunday afternoon, and you'll be surprised I haven't fallen into deep depression

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-06, 01:21 PM
Ouch. As a man who frequently digs his own grave where girls are concerned I feel for you. Sounds a bit like the David Brent moment from the Office christmass special - 'Can we stop talking about my dead mother's breasts?'

sikyon
2008-03-06, 01:55 PM
I felt realy bad.

wow

If you still want a chance with her, find her an apologize to her and ask to make it up by taking her out to dinner or something.

Rogue 7
2008-03-06, 02:00 PM
*slow clap*

Not that I haven't done similar, but then I'd probably slowclap myself as well.

dehro
2008-03-06, 02:34 PM
on a lighter note, am I the only one who has made the connection between this topic and the tv show that is nor running in england, "the big bang theory"?

DraPrime
2008-03-06, 02:39 PM
I'm teaching a class about "What not to say to girls." Would you mind speaking to the students?

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-06, 03:21 PM
I felt realy bad.
:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Do we have Post of the Month nominations here? This certainly deserves one!

Phase
2008-03-06, 03:39 PM
I'm teaching a class about "What not to say to girls." Would you mind speaking to the students?

I have what you SHOULD say to a girl: "Hi, would you mind if I sat here while you talk to me about your feelings and I ask you about your day?"

:smallyuk:

Pepz
2008-03-06, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry but I loved that ;) next time it'll go better with the smooth talk :)

Emperor Ing
2008-03-06, 05:19 PM
GAHAHHA!! Dude, that sucks on an epic scale. :smalltongue:

RandomLogic
2008-03-06, 06:45 PM
I felt realy bad.

Aha! I just thought of how you can make this work for you. When you see her next apologize and ask if you can do something to make it up to her. Dinner perhaps? or a movie or or or .... you get the picture?! Yeah! Good man... but make sure to keep it simple, its not like you are dating already or you killed her dog.

reorith
2008-03-06, 11:05 PM
wow

If you still want a chance with her, find her an apologize to her and ask to make it up by taking her out to dinner or something.

i disagree

if you still want a chance with her, build a time mamchine, go back to a couple minutes before the awkward moment, sam fisher yourself and then retake your position, this time saying "did you feel robert a. heinlein espouses certain fascist ideals within his book starship troopers?"

you can also act as if you have an evil twin who is out to destroy your reputation.

Serpentine
2008-03-06, 11:15 PM
Honestly? I don't get it :smallconfused: You said something that rather humorously was taken to be referring to something else. It was an innocent mistake and, as I said, a funny one. Why would she start crying and that? :smallconfused:

Hell Puppi
2008-03-06, 11:19 PM
Perhaps she's sensitive...about her...girly bits.

Reminds me of the series Coupling, where one of the main characters was horribly bad at talking to girls.
"At least you didn't accidentally tell her you collected ears in a bucket or that you're missing one leg."

Vuzzmop
2008-03-07, 02:38 AM
*slow clap*

Not that I haven't done similar, but then I'd probably slowclap myself as well.

"Seconds the slow clap, calling to the rest of audience to clap as well, like in every single terrible teen romance movie."

Felixaar
2008-03-07, 05:32 AM
I felt realy bad.

Oh dude :smallbiggrin: thats classic. Totally worth it, man.

unstattedCommoner
2008-03-07, 08:06 AM
Honestly? I don't get it :smallconfused: You said something that rather humorously was taken to be referring to something else. It was an innocent mistake and, as I said, a funny one. Why would she start crying and that? :smallconfused:

Actually, I interpret it as meaning that she took offence at being asked whether the necklace was real, and knew that that was what he was asking. The fact he thought she might have thought he was asking a different question simply compounded the offence.

Last_resort_33
2008-03-07, 08:11 AM

No... I don't get it either.... how the hell am I married?

Fri
2008-03-07, 08:35 AM
simply put: don't ask a girl you have just met whether her diamond is real or not

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-07, 08:53 AM
No... I don't get it either.... how the hell am I married?

...because your girl is awesome? *nods*

...I...don't really see that as a cryworthy offense, but I know girls who would have slapped/glared you to death over it...

...but yes, maybe apologize-like? Somehow?

Phase
2008-03-07, 12:07 PM
Try to apoligize, if you're sincere, and she doesn't forgive you, she's not worth it...

Pinnacle
2008-03-07, 12:54 PM
Actually, I interpret it as meaning that she took offence at being asked whether the necklace was real, and knew that that was what he was asking. The fact he thought she might have thought he was asking a different question simply compounded the offence.

Judging from the "I'm not stupid!" response, I don't think she believed him when he said he meant the diamonds.

Tom_Violence
2008-03-07, 01:22 PM
At the risk of sounding crude, did she at least have big knockers? Otherwise, it does seem like a rather extreme reaction.

Perhaps she's sensitive...about her...girly bits.

Reminds me of the series Coupling, where one of the main characters was horribly bad at talking to girls.
"At least you didn't accidentally tell her you collected ears in a bucket or that you're missing one leg."

"I've got too many legs!"

Jae
2008-03-07, 09:58 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

Dude. that is priceless. seriously. I'd be telling that story to EVERYBODY.

At least it was an accident, though. I once told a guy I'd like to make out with his hair. one of those times where I said my thought out loud. did..not...go well. hahah. If he still goes to my school I havent seen him :smallbiggrin:

And yeah ask her out!! haha frealzzz. Every real relationship I know started off with something super quirky like that..a horrid misunderstanding, worst first date ever, etc. heh plus imagine you guys get together and that is the story of your guys' meeting.

it'll be incredible

@V:He had REALLY REALLY NICE HAIR!
Lets put it down to "im original (wierd)" and leave it at that, shall we? :smallamused:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-07, 10:07 PM
I once told a guy I'd like to make out with his hair.

...wait...what? :smallconfused:

EDIT@^: Generally, I call that "quirky" or "interesting". Weird people are awesome.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-07, 10:11 PM
...wait...what? :smallconfused:
I'd do it. :smallbiggrin: Hair is nice.

^^: SEE! How could you resist really really nice hair! :smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2008-03-07, 10:12 PM
Hahaha. That's really funny. Her reaction was over-dramatic, I would probably just laugh if that happened to me..

I once told a guy I'd like to make out with his hair.
... I've actually said that to a guy before... :smalleek:
That's weird.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-07, 10:14 PM
...you girls are weird.

...*starts growing his hair out*... >.>

Ego Slayer
2008-03-07, 10:16 PM
...you girls are weird.

...*starts growing his hair out*... >.>
*pats on the head* Good, good.
Yeah... we are weird. But you love us anyway. :3

*goes to find some hair to kiss* http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1565/kisszy2.gif

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-07, 10:17 PM
*pats on the head* Good, good.

*goes to find some hair to kiss* http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1565/kisszy2.gif

...oh, of course, hun! *hugs* :smallsmile:

GrassyGnoll
2008-03-07, 10:23 PM
What a horrible conundrum. Either she'll think you're a misogynist or gay. Or in the worst case both.

*Why does that only seem to fit for lesbians?*

A friend of mine had a similar situation when a girl showed him her throng. My immediate thought was that she thought he was gay (the hair do kind of has that effect), but it turned out she was just... socially generous.

zeratul
2008-03-07, 10:23 PM
Don't feel bad man, that is awesome. I feel there are two ways to go with that, either say" I meant the diamonds!" as you said or continue to say "Because they look like they're sculpted by angels:smallwink: ."

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-07, 10:26 PM
Don't feel bad man, that is awesome. I feel there are two ways to go with that, either say" I meant the diamonds!" as you said or continue to say "Because they look like they're sculpted by angels:smallwink: ."

...OYFG, Zer, that is...

...my newest awful pick up line. >.<

Ego Slayer
2008-03-07, 10:35 PM
Zer could get himself out of the situation just fine huh? :smalltongue:
Granted, I'd probably slap him for that, but... ^_~

OYFG
Hahaha! :smallbiggrin:
You get a *hug* for that, since I wasn't sure whether anyone would actually end up using it.

zeratul
2008-03-07, 10:42 PM
Yeah feel free to use that one cobra. After about 50 slaps to the face you won't even feel it anymore :smalltongue:

Ego Slayer
2008-03-07, 11:01 PM
Yeah feel free to use that one cobra. After about 50 slaps to the face you won't even feel it anymore :smalltongue:
Cobra, I'll buy you a helmet. Like a medieval one with a plume and everything.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 08:21 AM
Cobra, I'll buy you a helmet. Like a medieval one with a plume and everything.

...really?

*sidles up to Ego*...so...are those real, hun? :smallwink:

Ego Slayer
2008-03-08, 12:05 PM
...really?

*sidles up to Ego*...so...are those real, hun? :smallwink:
*slaps Cobra repeatedly*
Works well? :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2008-03-08, 12:13 PM

I don't.

Wait, you were referring to yourself when you said "us", right? Like a hivemind?

Szilard
2008-03-08, 12:34 PM
I thought it was girls in general that was talked about in that quote.

Pyro
2008-03-08, 01:52 PM
Ouch, thats harsh...
Well at least it was slightly entertaining. :smalltongue:

Lyesmith
2008-03-08, 02:02 PM
..People have said they wanted to make out with my hair before.
So other people do it!
And to be honest, i have got fantastic hair.:smallwink:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 02:08 PM
..People have said they wanted to make out with my hair before.
So other people do it!
And to be honest, i have got fantastic hair.:smallwink:

I have fantastic hair, too!

...there's just not very much of it, due to military restrictions on hair length and all.

...also, Pixie, are you going to give us an update on how things went with any attempts to make things up to her?

SoD
2008-03-08, 02:11 PM
...heh. That gave me the best laugh I've had all day!

''I've got the keys to the doors of heaven...BUT I'VE GOT TOO MANY LEGS!''

''Oh, I was just telling her how I collect womens ears in a bucket.''

''I'm full of sperm!''

Gotta love Coupling.

Nightwing
2008-03-08, 02:17 PM
Never ask a girl if the diamonds she is wearing are relay. I'm not a girl but I would have still slapped you across the face. same with earing's.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-08, 08:23 PM
I don't.

Wait, you were referring to yourself when you said "us", right? Like a hivemind?
Liar, yes you do.

I was talking to Cobra. I was referring to Em, Jae and myself. Pay attention. *thwacks with a ruler*

...there's just not very much of it, due to military restrictions on hair length and all.
I always knew the military was up to no good. :smallwink:

FdL
2008-03-08, 08:31 PM
It really ruins a conversation when you bring up your daughter and or boyfriend....

I agree...It's appalling when you're talking to a nice girl you've just met and she makes a passing remark about "his boyfriend". It's like there's a cut in the conversation after that v.v

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 08:53 PM
I agree...It's appalling when you're talking to a nice girl you've just met and she makes a passing remark about "his boyfriend". It's like there's a cut in the conversation after that v.v

...why are you talking about some random gay guy, anyway? >.>

*hugs Ego*...aww, look at you, makin' me feel all cheery and such. Bad form, you know. :smallsmile:

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-03-10, 06:19 PM
We have a hivemind!!:smallamused:

That said, we think that's funny, but kinda stupid, we mean couldn't you have said, "Are those diamonds?"?

Jagg
2008-03-11, 12:24 AM
Ha HA HAAR

Ok I know it's not nice to laugh at another's pain...I couldn't help it.

What would I do in this circumstance????

To the OP Hmmm. I'd write her a letter and slip it into her locker. Mention the following.

1) I get tounge tied when you are around and I made a mess of things.
2) I was trying to find an excuse to talk to you and picked something that I thought made you look very nice and it backfired.
3) I'm REALLY sorry I made you cry and would like to make it up to you.
4) Feel free to call me an insensitive jerk if it makes you feel better and gets you talking to me.

C'mon girls help him out, what would you write in the letter?

TheDrone
2008-03-11, 12:38 AM
Dude you are so in. You gotta find her again.

MR.PIXIE
2008-03-11, 08:25 AM
wow

Nope.tried it, I got the boyfriend:smalleek: !big tall guy with massive fists, threw me in a trash can and dumped smoothy all over me.
it took days to get that smell out of my hair:smallyuk:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-11, 09:17 AM
Nope.tried it, I got the boyfriend:smalleek: !big tall guy with massive fists, threw me in a trash can and dumped smoothy all over me.
it took days to get that smell out of my hair:smallyuk:

...what a jerk!

*bites him*

...wait a few days, then try again. Problem solved! :smallwink:

MR.PIXIE
2008-03-11, 09:45 AM
Does it make it worse that she has big boobs.
she must of thought that i was talking about them.:smallredface:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-11, 09:48 AM
Does it make it worse that she has big boobs.
she must of thought that i was talking about them.:smallredface:

...perhaps. How did the apology attempt go exactly?

MR.PIXIE
2008-03-11, 10:18 AM
like this.
'' Im sorry,i was talking about your(shouldn't have said that) diamonds''