PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Weaponmasters in fiction

Setra
2008-03-07, 05:20 AM
Just a random thought I had... weapons are cool, but it's the ones who wield them that make them cool right? So why not discuss which characters are cool with what weapons? I get the feeling I could have phrased that better but I think the point was made.

Firearms - Rushuna from Grenadier, or Gene Starwind, from Outlaw Star.

Whip - Indiana Jones

Sword - There are WAY too many to choose from, but for now I'll go with Kenshin, from Rurouni Kenshin.

Polearm - Cid Highwind, Final Fantasy 7

Bow - Archer, from Fate/Stay Night

Unarmed Combat/Fist Weapons - I can't think of any, will edit this later

Staff - I have one on the tip of my mind but can't remember who he is, will put one in later

Axe - Ghimli

And for the heck of it, since Mecha and Ships and whatnot can be considered weapons (though not in the same sense)

Favorite Mecha Pilot - Fei, from Xenogears

Favorite Starship Captain - Kirk

Revlid
2008-03-07, 05:39 AM
Weaponmaster of:
Anything that can be conceivably thrown: Tenten, from Naruto.

AslanCross
2008-03-07, 05:44 AM
Boomerang: Dias Ragu from Shadow Skill. Combining unarmed martial arts with a giant metal boomerang is awesome. He also actually defeated an immortal elemental force of darkness and died standing up.

Sword: I prefer D from Vampire Hunter D. Although Kenshin has those techniques, D just slashes stuff and kills them dead. No need for secret techniques. I also actually liked Saito Hajime and Shishio more than Kenshin. (Though Shishio cheats :P)

Firearms: Vash the Stampede.

Mech Pilot: Guy Shishio from GaoGaiGar tied with Noriko Takaya from Gunbuster.

Verruckt
2008-03-07, 06:46 AM
Anything that can be held in one or two hands, as well as unarmed: River Tam

Ship Captain: Picard, duh.

Swords (specifically, other than River): Colbey Calistinsson from the Renshai books. Hand him a sword, he just killed you, congratulations.

Bows: Arduwyn, also from the Renshai books. He lost an eye in battle, and proceeded to pick off the leader of the Eastern armies (and there by the forces of evil) as he fled on horseback from a couple hundered yards away, just to see if he still had it. This had the unfortunate side affect of pissing off Colbey, who was chasing the general at the time.

Sundog
2008-03-07, 06:50 AM
Guns: The Grammaton Cleric.

Sheer Insanity: Riggs, Lethal Weapon

Starships: Honor Harrington.

Tengu
2008-03-07, 06:51 AM
I must be the only person on this planet who thought that "weird spooky-talking psychic" River was a cool character while "indestructible battle machine" River was just annoying.

I'll post my own list somewhere later, but for now on I second Vash. So. Very. Much.

Verruckt
2008-03-07, 06:56 AM
oi, they're the same River, or maybe the same Summer Glau if her performance in the terminator series is any indication.

Tengu
2008-03-07, 07:00 AM
Okay, I'll state it differently - I liked how River was portrayed in Firefly, but not in Serenity, where she was the only Big Damn Hero whom I didn't like.

Poison_Fish
2008-03-07, 07:07 AM
Master of all weapons or Weapon master?

Well, master of tons of weapons I've gotta give to Manji from Blade of the Immortal, though his skills get worse as the series progresses.

Second choice would be Archer.. who technically should be my first choice but he's a cheater.

Dorizzit
2008-03-07, 07:09 AM
Fists/Unarmed Combat: Rock Lee, Naruto. Don't believe me? He beat the pants off of Gaara, who only won because he had plot armor, and he single handedly fought Kimimaro while injured, who had defeated the entire rest of the sound four combined without exerting himself.

Vargtass
2008-03-07, 07:27 AM
Throwing knifes: Gestur, in Hrafninn flygur (sorry, can't find an accent for y).
Archer: Ulysses, The Odyssey (but Robin Hood (the book) comes close).
Spoon: Zorro the Elder, Mask of Zorro.
Revolver: Doc Holiday, Tombstone
Fencing: Atos, The Three Musketeers (the book).

... might come up with more...

Gungnir
2008-03-07, 08:45 AM
Master of Firearms: SPARTAN-058, Linda. Best known for sniping pilots out of their banshees, from ridiculous ranges, while hanging upside down from a bridge.

Master of Spraypainting Police Officers Into Submission: Pots. Because he's a dog with sunglasses and rocket skates.

Master of Magic (if you want to count magic as a weapon): Gongora from Lost Odyssey. You know how most FF games have the standard (Element)1 through (Element)3? He goes all the way to (Element)9001. That's right. It's over 9000.

Querzis
2008-03-07, 09:03 AM
Master of handguns: Vash the Stampede from Trigun

Master of swords: Ike from Fire Emblem

Master of axes: Grom Hellscream from Warcraft 3

Master of arcane magic: Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance

Master of divine magic: Redcloak from OOTS

Master of spiritual magic: Thrall from Warcraft 3

Master of unarmed combat: Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece

Master of pretty much everything: Ten-ten from Naruto

Master of spears: Achilles from Greek mithology

Master of bows: Cattie-brie from Forgottens Realms

Master of katanas: Roronoa Zoro from One Piece

Master of fangs and claws: Inuzuka Kiba from Naruto.

Master of hammers: Lavi from D. gray man.

Mr. Scaly
2008-03-07, 09:08 AM
Fists/Unarmed Combat: Rock Lee, Naruto. Don't believe me? He beat the pants off of Gaara, who only won because he had plot armor, and he single handedly fought Kimimaro while injured, who had defeated the entire rest of the sound four combined without exerting himself.

He got the pants beaten off of him by Kimimaro though, whereas Gaara killed him. :smallwink: Not the place for the specifics of that fight though.

Master of fists, Balthazar the monk of Amkethran. Even if I loathe the book trilogy, he fought the Slayer with his bare hands...and won. You've got to give it to anyone who can kill the avatar of a god without weapons. Plus he's the strongest boss of the game, so...

WalkingTarget
2008-03-07, 09:16 AM
Baliset - Gurney Halleck from Dune. :smallbiggrin:

Finn Solomon
2008-03-07, 09:47 AM
Guns (Revolvers) - Roland Deschain, Dark Tower

Guns (Assault Rifles) - Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid

Whip - Ivy, Soul Calibur

Hammer - Thor, Marvel

Lightsaber - Darth Maul, Phantom Menace

Barbed-Wire Baseball Bat - Cactus Jack, WWE (Hey, it counts. Pro wrestlers are characters.)

Unarmed Combat - Beowulf, Beowulf

SilentNight
2008-03-07, 09:52 AM
Guns:Have to second Vash. He is awesome

Starship captain: Are ye'all daft? Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Everything: Jarlaxle Baenre. Seriously, is there any situation that he is not prepared for?

Swords: Battosai is way better than Kenshin. I still wouldn't say he's the best though, seeing as it was only plot that saved him a few of those times. I'm gonna have to go with Artemis Entreri simply because I can't think of any others.

Musical Instrument: Midvalley the Hornfreak on bari sax.

That's all for now.

RandomLogic
2008-03-07, 10:25 AM
Baliset - Gurney Halleck from Dune. :smallbiggrin:

I was thinking Swords - Duncan Idaho. He is way cooler in the books than portrayed in the movie. ...of which I still need to finish the series...

Drascin
2008-03-07, 10:44 AM
Lessee...

Master of the Sword - I'll probably go with Kenshin too. He has quite the technique.

Master of the Knife - Shiki Tohno, from Tsukihime. Okay, he cheats, but still, that guy's killed some of the most powerful beings on Earth with a freaking fruit knife.

Master of the Lance - Cu Chulainn, from Irish myth (and Fate/Stay Night, which was where I knew him first). I'd like to mention Balsa (from Seirei no Moribito) 'cause she's quite impressive with her spear, but the Irish boy just has her beat due to sheer inhumanity.

Master of the Gun - Fourthing Vash here. A paladin with a gun is always neat; a paladin with utterly inhuman skill with said gun is quite impressive. Second place for Revolver Ocelot for his ability to tell the laws of ballistics to shut up and sit down.

Master of the Very Very Big Blunt Instrument: Gatsu, from Berserk. That thing he wields is not a sword, it's a metallic galley oar. Still, he's managed to crush enough demons and supernatural beings with it for it to actually become semi-magical due to the residue of so many destroyed souls.

Master of Magic: Seconding Raistlin. When you can amass enough arcane power to be fairly confident you can take on a god face to face, you gotta be pretty hardcore.

Master of the Spacecraft (Ship): For fighters, I'm going with Wedge Antilles - any guy who can survive being the leader of the single most dangerous squadron to be in all the New Republic (namely, the Rogue Squadron, the ones with the most sucidal missions because they're supposed to be the only ones who can pull them off) for so long has to know how to pilot.

Master of the Robot (mecha): My fanboyishness has to give this one to the tandem Simon/Viral piloting the Gurren-Lagann. With the human giving the sheer power and the monster providing the skill, it's just a wining combination for everyone involved (except their enemies. Those are in for a world of hurt)

For the posts of Master of the Pole (staff) and Master of the Axe, I'll have to give it some more thought...

Tom_Violence
2008-03-07, 10:55 AM
I must be the only person on this planet who thought that "weird spooky-talking psychic" River was a cool character while "indestructible battle machine" River was just annoying.

I'll post my own list somewhere later, but for now on I second Vash. So. Very. Much.

Oh, you're definitely not alone there. I actually don't like that film because of her character in it. It was a joke. And we're certainly not the only ones who think that way since I remember having a similar discussion some time ago about that giant mistake.

Anyway, I second the vote for Grammaton Cleric for gun-based-fun.

Ossian
2008-03-07, 11:10 AM
Blades: gatsu from berserk, hands down.

Lightsaber: Master Windu

Martial Arts: Kenshiro (Hokuto no Ken)

Guns: Preston, Grammaton Cleric from Equilibrium

Sniper rifle: Vassili Zaizev and Major Koenig (enemy at the gates)

and....

Did I miss something or nobody has yet mentioned shivs and handknives? Well...

Shiv and Knife: close call between Riddick and Blade

Mewtarthio
2008-03-07, 12:03 PM
Okay, I'll state it differently - I liked how River was portrayed in Firefly, but not in Serenity, where she was the only Big Damn Hero whom I didn't like.

You're not alone.

---

Guns - Roland Deschain

Blue Paladin
2008-03-07, 12:20 PM
Walking Stick - Hong Qigong
Staff - Ouyang Feng
Flute - Huang Yaoshi
Bow - Guo Jing (sequel version)
Barehanded - all of the above, plus Yideng & Zhou Botong (& Yang Guo too)

... Yeah, I'm a little biased...

On to more recognizable names:
Specific Firearm - Maria Tachibana
Nonspecific Firearm - Ryo Saeba
Defense - Obi-Wan Kenobi (yes, he uses defense to attack; Form III - Soresu)
Any Means Necessary - Sousuke Sagara (especially grenade fake/fire extinguisher/crotch punch)
Spear - Kain Highwind (superior to Cid :smalltongue: even with weak Will save)
Courage - Gai Shishio
Big Hammer - Gai Shishio
Bigger Hammer - Gai Shishio

Telonius
2008-03-07, 12:34 PM
Sword - the Dread Pirate Roberts.
Hammer - Norman, Mighty Max.
Whip - Indiana Jones.
Bow - William Tell.
Gun - Roland, The Dark Tower.
Axe - Gimli.
Unarmed - Neo. (Yeah. He knows kung fu).
Improvised - Samson. (MacGuyver would have qualified if he ever used any of that stuff as weapons rather than tools).

BadJuJu
2008-03-07, 12:36 PM
Guns- Gotta be Revolver Occelot

Machettes- Jason (duh)

Cardboard Box- Snake

Bow- ...Legolis...

ClericPreston
2008-03-07, 12:46 PM
Master of Firearms (Handguns)- Cleric Preston/Alucard
Master of Firearms (Anything)- Spartan 117/ Solid Snake
Master of Magic- Dante
Master of Swords- D from Vampire Hunter D

WalkingTarget
2008-03-07, 01:13 PM
I was thinking Swords - Duncan Idaho. He is way cooler in the books than portrayed in the movie. ...of which I still need to finish the series...

Yeah, but Duncan (or Gurney) would be outclassed in swordplay by others already mentioned by others. I chose the item for which the Weaponmaster Gurney isn't upstaged.

Telonius
2008-03-07, 01:17 PM
Throwing Sword, Boomerang, Bomb, Flute, Candle, Hunk of Meat - Link.

Tetsubo 57
2008-03-07, 01:22 PM
Staff - The Monkey King

Axe - Drus the Axe or Paul Bunyun

Knife - Sten

Rope - Sos the Rope

Pistol - Eastwood as The Unnamed Gunslinger

Hammer - John Henry

Whip & Sword - Zorro

Poison_Fish
2008-03-07, 01:34 PM
I'll have to second Kenshiro for unarmed combat.

TheThan
2008-03-07, 01:37 PM
Boomerang: Dias Ragu from Shadow Skill. Combining unarmed martial arts with a giant metal boomerang is awesome. He also actually defeated an immortal elemental force of darkness and died standing up.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's seen Shadow Skill. The problem is that you've clearly seen more than I have. (blame best buy for not having the rest of the series :smallfurious: ).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-03-07, 01:42 PM
Most Everything: Garet Jax, from The Wishsong of Shannara. Manages to take down, in melee, something that singlehandedly destroyed one of the most powerful magical characters ever to appear in the series. Yes, he died in the attempt, but still.

Brawling: Sam Vimes, from (especially) Night Watch and Thud. He's just bad-ass. It's that simple. Don't know if he counts as a master, but still.

Ganurath
2008-03-07, 01:48 PM
Master of Weapons on the Physical Plane of existence: River Tann. No doubt the inspiration for the Mindspy PrC.
Master of Magic: Kharla'ggen Vel'Vloz'ress. Don't mess with a psychotic demon queen who's ambient magical energy can fill a castle.

TheRiov
2008-03-07, 02:23 PM
Bah: The Greatest Swordsman who ever lived: Madmartigan!

Bow: Gotta go Robin Hood here

Gun: Gramaton Cleric John Preston

Spiryt
2008-03-07, 02:36 PM
Bah: The Greatest Swordsman who ever lived: Madmartigan!

Oh yes, he was kinda cool.

Anyway, speaking about swordmen, I will be shameless Pole this time - I will go with Geralt - Andrzej Sapkowski's "Wiedźmin" (The Witcher) book.

He is killer, very convincing one, anyone can imagine why he's so good.
While his fights are far, far away from truly "realistic" ones, they anyway make more sense than 90% of fictional sword fights.

TempusCCK
2008-03-07, 02:50 PM
Gun- Revolver Ocelot, he makes anyone else look like a kid playing with their toy death machine.

Sword- Benedict of Amber, from the Amber Series by Roger Zelazny. That guy will whoop you with any weapon you give him, hands down. He knows all your fancy techniques, plus the techniques of another bazillion worlds. Infinte life and the ability to go anywhere he can dream of, he knows everything about swordplay, nobody comes close. Your fancy fighting style is only a shadow of something he created hundred of years ago just for fun.

Bow: Robin Hood or Legolas, but probably Robin Hood, Legolas didn't actually do that much fancy shooting in the book.

Knife/Unarmed: Snake Eater from MGS:3, he also wins...

Stealth: Snake Eater from MGS:3. Solid Snake is merely a shadow of his awesome (and his genetic material).

Gungnir
2008-03-07, 03:25 PM
Random Rocks/Chunks of Metal: Toph. Noone beats Toph at rock fights.

SurlySeraph
2008-03-07, 04:00 PM
Master of bayonets: Father Alexander Anderson, from Hellsing. He can throw flurries of bayonets and impale the hell out of people. He cuts a subway car in half. He makes Drizzt look like a three-year-old flailing around with a pair of twigs.

Master of energy blasts: Goku.

Master of the bow: I grudgingly must award it to Legolas.

Master of the shotgun: Ashley "Ash" J. Williams, from Army of Darkness. "This... is my BOOMSTICK!" Truer words were never spoken.

Master of the rapier: Inigo Montoya.

Master of the spear: Achilles.

Master of the notebook: Light Yagami. No contest, really...

Master of weapons in general: Jack Bauer. Amongst his weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles, assault rifles, submachine guns, machine pistols, flare guns, hacksaws, his fists, towels, switchblades, scissors, cell phones, pressurized steam, his legs, lengths of chain, explosive barrels, and an almost fanatical devotion to the United States. Oh, and his teeth.

Dorizzit
2008-03-07, 04:17 PM
Master of bayonets: Father Alexander Anderson, from Hellsing. He can throw flurries of bayonets and impale the hell out of people. He cuts a subway car in half. He makes Drizzt look like a three-year-old flailing around with a pair of twigs.

To be fair, Hellsing is on a whole different level of power from the Dark Elf series.

Rogue 7
2008-03-07, 04:53 PM
Swords: too many to count. I'll just go ahead and say Kenshin to get this one out of the way, I suppose.

Axe- Y'know what, I'll say Presea, from Tales of Symphonia. 12-year old (well, sort of) girl wielding an axe as big as she is and cutting people apart with it.

Spear: hmmm, tricky. There's really no one who uses a spear that's memorable that I can think of- they're more reserved for mooks.

Starfighters- another vote for Wedge here. The man is practically superhuman. They group his kills by either squadrons or gross units. Gross. 144 starfighters.

Earth- while Terra could probably take Toph, due to the whole "levitating the rocks" thing (Toph'd be fighting blind), Toph's sheer awesomeness means that she wins anyways.

Fire, wind, water- insert standard Avatar characters here. Specifically, Iroh, Aang, and Katara.

Fans- Temari, from Naruto. The girl can destroy an entire forest with one swing. Suki comes close, but she's got other capabilities and really doesn't measure up in terms of pure awesome.

Paper. Yes, paper- Yomiko Readman. I was watching Read Or Die when I came upon this thread. It goes without saying, really.

Bow- Legolas. It's really not a contest.

The_Snark
2008-03-07, 05:00 PM
I am sad to see that this category has thus far been neglected.

Silverware- The Blue Rajah.

Dorizzit
2008-03-07, 05:06 PM
Fans- Temari, from Naruto. The girl can destroy an entire forest with one swing. Suki comes close, but she's got other capabilities and really doesn't measure up in terms of pure awesome.

Actually, she summons a creature to do that for her. She is still the undisputed fanmeister, however.

Zeful
2008-03-07, 05:11 PM
Most Everything: Garet Jax, from The Wishsong of Shannara. Manages to take down, in melee, something that singlehandedly destroyed one of the most powerful magical characters ever to appear in the series. Yes, he died in the attempt, but still.

It's not proven whether Garet Actually killed the demon before dying. The Ohmsford boy only says that he did.

Arakune
2008-03-07, 05:19 PM
Lightsaber: Master Windu

Guns: Preston, Grammaton Cleric from Equilibrium

Knife: close call between Riddick

The first one is the most hardcore martial artist in existence! Close call from Toki and Raoh and Falco.

The gun-kata is awesome and the Riddick kick ass!

NurgleDwarf
2008-03-07, 05:25 PM
I'll have to go with Grimgor Ironhide for the Axe.

Waaagh! Go Gitsnik!

Mr. Scaly
2008-03-07, 05:41 PM
I am sad to see that this category has thus far been neglected.

Silverware- The Blue Rajah.

Ah, but he has a rival! Kenshiro Kasumi. First issue, he killed several men with cutlery.

Ettlesby
2008-03-07, 05:56 PM
Well, I think Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss pretty much beats mostly everybody when it comes to the use of spears. Highly intelligent and near impossible to read, he's also one of the games major offensive spell-casters, and his spear skills are pretty good too. Also, he doesn't have to waste his strength carrying the spear around everywhere because of...well, I forgot the exact explanation but it's basically stored in his arm.

Plus, he's got 'Indignation'. That's pretty much one of the most awesome spells ever.

...I'm not, of course, saying he's invincible. But he can do it all, man. His skills with the spear are just an added bonus.

...He can throw his spear into a monster's head (one made of ROCK) and make it explode. At least, that's what the opening video to the game says.

Eldan
2008-03-07, 06:02 PM
I second guts for both swords and blut instruments, since his weapon is both.

Also:
Words - The Nameless One, Planescape: Torment.
Anyone who can debate a person out of existence has to be awesome.

WalkingTarget
2008-03-07, 07:07 PM
How about:

Just about anything that is small enough to be thrown and/or projectile weapons in general: Bullseye.

Thiel
2008-03-07, 07:09 PM
Master of swords:
Master of very big handguns: Alucard
Master of Anti Tank Cannons: Seras Victoria
Master of unarmed combat: Rock Lee
Master of Stubbornness: Uzumaki Naruto or Monkey D. Luffy
Master of Starships: Honor Harrington
Master of earth and metal: Toph Bei Fong

Setra
2008-03-07, 08:22 PM
Swords: Battosai is way better than Kenshin. I still wouldn't say he's the best though, seeing as it was only plot that saved him a few of those times. I'm gonna have to go with Artemis Entreri simply because I can't think of any others.
In the manga it is flat out stated that Kenshin surpassed Battosai, at least three or four times.

It is even pointed out Saito lost his interest to fight Kenshin, because he only wanted to fight Battosai "Not the Kenshin who surpassed Battosai".

Incidentally..

Blades: gatsu from berserk, hands down.

I'm switching Favorite Swordmaster to Guts...

And putting Kenshiro as my favorite in Unarmed Combat.

Also, was Tenten ever really considered a master of all the Weapons she used? I only recall her using a ton of them against Temari (Failing Horribly), and she has used various other weapons later in the manga but.. she never seemed to have any 'Mastery' over them, though it could just be lack of screentime, or my memory.

Rogue 7
2008-03-07, 08:51 PM
She basically pulled out a rain of them on her clone, but maybe if Kishimoto gave her any screentime we'd see more of her. As Naruto Abridged put it, "the log has more screen time than Tenten."

Oh, and Dorizzit, yeah, I knew that, but it's more fun that way.:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2008-03-07, 11:08 PM
That guy from Equilibrium. (First clip here (http://www.cracked.com/article_15966_5-movie-fighting-styles-too-awesome-actually-exist.html))

You have to watch it to see just how truly awesome that guy is.

The_Snark
2008-03-07, 11:14 PM
Ah, but he has a rival! Kenshiro Kasumi. First issue, he killed several men with cutlery.

Yes, but he's not a specialist. There's no dedication to silverware there!

AslanCross
2008-03-07, 11:15 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's seen Shadow Skill. The problem is that you've clearly seen more than I have. (blame best buy for not having the rest of the series :smallfurious: ).

Dias's battle with Darkness was my favorite episode, I found it rocked even more than the final battles. (The latter half of the series is more about Gau than Elle, which I found to be a letdown.)
They aired the entire series on cable here. It's too bad my cable provider summarily dropped all its anime-carrying channels. :(

Flickerdart
2008-03-07, 11:17 PM
Oh, also Kamina is the undisputed master of giant robot combat. It's not even close.

Rutee
2008-03-07, 11:18 PM
Actually, she summons a creature to do that for her. She is still the undisputed fanmeister, however.

Anji Mito would like a word with her.

AslanCross
2008-03-07, 11:35 PM
Oh, also Kamina is the undisputed master of giant robot combat. It's not even close.

Undisputed master of coolness, I'll give you that. But of course, he kinda died. But it doesn't matter, because dying cool is better than living cool, at least in anime.

And in anime, it's coolness that matters in the end.
I'm wondering what kind of super robot pilots Kamina would produce if he married Noriko Takaya or something. Or someone genetically engineered the combined guts, courage and general badassness of Guy Shishio, Kamina and Noriko Takaya.

Rogue 7
2008-03-07, 11:39 PM
Anji Mito would like a word with her.

I smell a fight thread. Who is this person and what are they from?

Rutee
2008-03-07, 11:53 PM
died. But it doesn't matter, because dying cool is better than living cool, at least in anime.

Only in Shounen anime >.>

I smell a fight thread. Who is this person and what are they from?Anji Mito is a curious japanese fan-user in Guilty Gear. Problem is, it's a fighting game, so in any serious sense, pinning down his abilities is /hard/.

osyluth
2008-03-08, 12:00 AM
Two Swords - Zaknafien, father of Drizzt Do'Urden, In the Drizzt books by R. A. Salvatore.

Rogue 7
2008-03-08, 12:00 AM
I assume he uses one of those tessen, much like Suki from Avatar, correct? Temari's fan is probably about 20 times that size. :smallwink: And she does use it in melee, when she has to. Makes a decent club, if nothing else.

Edit: upon review of wikipedia, yes, he is much like Suki, down to the twin fans. So I'm sorry, but Temari's got a massive advantage there- range. She can probably match him projectile-wise with kunai and shuriken, but then she's got her slicing wind blasts. Even without the summon that was mentioned earlier, her chakra-enhanced blasts still rip through trees, just on a more local scale. You're going to have to be pretty damn good to match up to a Jounin from one of the more overpowered shonen-verses.

Edan
2008-03-08, 12:01 AM
Guns:
Handguns: Vash the Stampede
Shotgun: "Ash" J Williams, THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Rifle: Emmet "Doc" Brown. I may be a fanboy here, but he shoots out a noose from quite a distance, and probably was not kidding when he said he could shoot a flea off a dog's back at 500 yards, thanks to his custom scope.
Oversized Room Clearing Cannon: The Space Marine from doom, it is a classic and it is HIS gun.
Novelty Gun Shaped Object: Tie between Chell and the portal gun and Gordon Freeman and the Gravity Gun.

Swords:
Katana: Kenshin, go watch the anime, just do it.
Industrial Grinder: Cloud Strife. Watching Advent Children convinced me that there are no greater oversized sword wielders out there.
Greatsword/Zweihander: Sigfried/Nightmare from Soul Caliber series.
Broadsword's and Hand and a Half's: Roy/Eliwood from Fire Emblem. In the games both are shown as highly proficient, although graphics are lacking, critical hit animations are not!
Rapier: Zorro, have to give it to him.
Saber: Nightcrawler from X-Men. Nothing says "you're screwed" more than facing a mutant who can teleport around while carrying 3 sabers with mastery above the greatest Olympian Fencers.

Other Melee:
Hunk-o-Metal: Gordon Freeman loves his crowbar.
Spear: Leonidas as he appeared in the 300.
Staff: Neo, when he rips the pole out of the concrete and beats up and throws off too many Agent Smiths to count.
Improvised Weapons: Edward from FMA. Can take literally any piece of random scrap and turn it into a weapon via alchemy.
Hand To Hand: I try to pick a non-anime character...who am I kidding, this has to go to a protagonist from ANY shonen fighting anime.
Roundhouse Kicks: It may be blaspheme not to say Chuck Norris, but watch Cowboy Bebop and tell me Spike's kicks are not awesome.
Assassinations: Kirika from Noir. Not only can she snap guys necks with their neck ties, she uses popcorn to locate and then take out an enemy. She is an uber ninja.

Jack Of All Trades: Second for Garet Jax. Engages in melee and beats probably the single most overpowered monster ever to appear in the entire Shannara series.
Bow: Robin Hood. He does not need a kill count to be awesome. Plus, he is English and has a longbow, there is no way to compete with that.

Space:
Pilot: Gene Starwind. One of the best pilots from any sci-fi series I have ever seen. Wedge comes close.
Mecha Pilot: Zechs from Gundam Wing.
Gunner: Fry from Futurama. This may seem like a joke, but when he gets behind the turret, he is a one man death machine.

I am a bit tired and can not think of any more right now...

SilentNight
2008-03-08, 12:02 AM
In the manga it is flat out stated that Kenshin surpassed Battosai, at least three or four times.

It is even pointed out Saito lost his interest to fight Kenshin, because he only wanted to fight Battosai "Not the Kenshin who surpassed Battosai".

New Kenshin is only better than old Battosai. If Battosai knew the nine-headed dragon strike, the ultimate move ( sorry, their names escape me.) and went through the "rebirth" Kenshin experiences after the first Jinchu battle then I think Battosai would still be better.

Rogue 7
2008-03-08, 12:15 AM
Were the battousai present for the Jinchuu arc, I doubt he would have lost in the first place. He might have had some compunctions about killing Enshi when he found out that [] He was Tomoe's brother[], but after the attack on Akabeko and the assault on the Chief's house (am I the only one who really likes that guy?), I doubt he'd hold back. Of course, that's assuming that he knew the Nine-headed dragon (kuzu Ryu sen, I think) and the Amakeru ryu no Hirameki (I probably butchered that- it's the god-speed battojutsu anyways), as it was apparently what was needed to come close to Enshi's level. If he did have those moves, it probably would have been over. Isn't the Kuzu Ryu sen supposed to be unblockable? Were that done with an actual cutting sword, I doubt Enshi would be able to do anything about it.

Sorry about that, I just started re-reading the manga (which is better than the anime), and I'm in a bit of a Kenshin mood.

Tengu
2008-03-08, 02:16 AM
Edit: upon review of wikipedia, yes, he is much like Suki, down to the twin fans. So I'm sorry, but Temari's got a massive advantage there- range. She can probably match him projectile-wise with kunai and shuriken, but then she's got her slicing wind blasts. Even without the summon that was mentioned earlier, her chakra-enhanced blasts still rip through trees, just on a more local scale. You're going to have to be pretty damn good to match up to a Jounin from one of the more overpowered shonen-verses.

The power level of Guilty Gear is even more extreme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw0FIXCdX70
Any of these attacks can be blocked by Anji, or any other fighter, and therefore deal only slight amount of damage to him... or even blocked with Flawless Defense, in which case it doesn't even deal a scratch. And while Temari is a ranged specialist only, Anji (if you know how to play him) is extremely versatile and powerful in both long and short range. He takes the cake.

Speaking of Guilty Gear, this series has a lot of weaponmasters on its own, but including them here wouldn't be fair as most of them are the only people ever who fight with the weapons they use. To name a few...
Faust - oversized scalpel (it practically counts as a polearm)
May - huge anchor (bigger than her, and she's what - 14?)
Bridget - yo-yo, mechanical teddy
Venom - pool cue
Testament - shapeshifting blood scythe
Dizzy - wings, which also double as (more or less) her shoulder devil and angel

And while I-No is a guitar user, unfortunately for her there's FLCL, with all three of its guitar users blowing her out of the water in coolness.

Rutee
2008-03-08, 02:23 AM
I assume he uses one of those tessen, much like Suki from Avatar, correct? Temari's fan is probably about 20 times that size. :smallwink: And she does use it in melee, when she has to. Makes a decent club, if nothing else.

Oh, Guilty Gear is far more overpowerred at its high end. Dizzy is a force of nature, probably higher then the Kyuubi. The non-Dizzy characters, though, are harder to rank. As to range, do note that he can fire off energy waves with his fans (Which are themselves divine weapons). Further, his fans grow to be larger then him for several techniques, and he's significantly taller then Temari. I don't know if he's better, but Temari doesn't outclass him, no question.

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-08, 02:35 AM
Sword: I'm thinking a tie between Kenshin and Hichigo. Kenshin has skill, but shirosaki has "BWAHAHAPWNED!" powers. Literally. Best. Laugh. Ever.

Bow: Souken Ishida. The guy shoots high-powered spirit arrows by flicking the bowstring -with his thumb-. That's hardcore.

Axe: Totally going with Grom Hellscream.

(Summoning) Gun: Kaze, from Final Fantasy Unlimited. Ye gods, is he badass with the magun.

Mecha: As much as my inner fanboy says the power rangers, I have to choose a single one, so I say Domon Kashou from G Gundam.

Uhm.. damn, all the good ones are listed. I mean, damn, someone got Kirika. :smallsigh: I didn't know Noir was actually -known-. Best. assassin anime. Ever.

Querzis
2008-03-08, 02:36 AM
Also, was Tenten ever really considered a master of all the Weapons she used? I only recall her using a ton of them against Temari (Failing Horribly), and she has used various other weapons later in the manga but.. she never seemed to have any 'Mastery' over them, though it could just be lack of screentime, or my memory.

She got 100% accuracy with all weapons and she never miss her target...I dont see how she could master it more then that. Ten-ten lost because she was fighting Temari which got the ultimate tecnique against her since Temari can repel any weapons attack, I dont see how that supposed to make Ten-ten weak. Just look at her fight, do you really think Shikamaru, Dosu or even Naruto could have won against her? They cant evade that much weapons, dont have any tecnique to repel those weapons and she attack from the airs so they woudnt have only lost but Ten-ten could have really killed them.

By the way, shes really trained with every weapons and she supposed to have every weapons in her scroll after the time skip so she can do melee too. But you know, as a matter of fact, I dont think we ever saw her really fight in the manga. Even Ten-ten vs Temari was just a filler fight, we dont actually see Temari beat her in the manga.

Tengu
2008-03-08, 02:38 AM
Best. assassin anime. Ever.

There are any others?
Not that Noir is bad...

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-08, 03:05 AM
I dunno. After being introduced to Super Robot Wars, I have to give Sanger Zonvolt some props in the "swords" category, based on sheer size. Still, there are better swordsmen...I'll give him the "mecha melee weaponry" award.

Guns:
Revolvers: Revolver Ocelot
Automatics: Spike Spiegel. Anyone who can bring a gun to a swordfight in anime and win earns this twice over. Plus his impressive use of recoil...
Shotguns: Ash from Evil Dead
Grenade Launchers (and second place in shotties): Terminator T-500.
Bolt-action rifles: Matthew Quigley. Note to bad guys: he's also pretty fair with a revolver.

Hand-to-hand:
Formal Martial Arts: Bruce Lee. Just..Bruce Lee
Improvised Weaponry: Jackie Chan
Swords: Basil Rathbone. Yes, that's three actors rather than characters in a row, but god damn if they aren't good at what they do. Pick a Basil character if you must
Spears & Polearms: Nephenee from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Maybe I lucked out on stat rolls, but in my game, she was an invincible goddess of destruction.

Vehicles:
Submarines: Captain Rameus of the Red October. He and Captain Mancuso of the Dallas are the only people I know who can get subs to move like fighter planes...
Mecha melee weaponry: Sanger, Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that cleaves evil!
Mecha ranged weaponry: Heero Yuy. Less him than his equipment, though...
Starships: James T. Kirk!
Smaller starships: Corran Horn. He got better battle descriptions than Luke did.

That's all for now.

Verruckt
2008-03-08, 06:48 AM
Okay, let's set something straight.

Katana: Miyamoto Musashi. Period, the end.

the guy wrote the book on sword play, literally. He is the inspiration for every gunslinger in western fiction. He won his first duel at age thirteen with quarterstaff against an opponent with a wakizashi. During his life he fought over 60 duels and never lost, managing the impressive feat of being a professional sword fighter who died of old age. Most deciding factor, he was real. This guy could hand Kenshin his ass on a plate, and really existed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi#Travels_and_duels

Rogue 7
2008-03-08, 07:16 AM
:smallsigh: * Laughs* Well, that's what happens when you assume things- you look like an idiot. Nuts. I concede the point.

AslanCross
2008-03-08, 07:51 AM

Anji Mito has projectile attacks in the shape of electric butterflies. His fans are not ordinary tessen. They're called the Zessen, the Fans of Suppression, and are part of a set of superweapons called the Outrage. The Outrage was made to destroy the Gears (rampaging bio-weapons) in the Guilty Gear universe. It's any guess as to what they can actually do, but the Zessen have been shown to change size dramatically, fire electric butterfly and hawk projectiles, and cut stuff into ribbons. Anji's instant kill attack (all Guilty Gear characters have them ,except for Dizzy) summons a massive dragon that he rides on. I don't know where he gets it or what it's made of, all I know is that it kills stuff dead.

It's one of the less outrageous instant kills in that game, really. Zappa, the possessed guy, kills you with The Ring (as in the movie), while Bridget tosses you all the way to the moon. I-No kills you with a heavy metal concert, while Justice grabs you by the neck, flies you all the way to space, and explosively cuts your throat (leaving you to fall back down all the way to the planet's surface).

Stuff in Guilty Gear is nothing to thumb one's nose at.

By far, however, the most dangerous characters in it are Sol Badguy (he's the game creator's self-insert <_<), I-No, and Dizzy. Justice was a force to be reckoned with, but she's dead as of the current storyline and Dizzy's rather nonviolent. I-No can mess with time at whim, and nobody really knows what she is, exactly. Sol is the original gear, has lived for over 200 years and has mastery of fire thanks to his sword, the Fireseal. (The Fireseal is also part of the Outrage). Sol's true form has been shown in a couple of games. (Holy Order Sol in XX#Slash transforms when he finishes his Dragon Install combo)

Tengu
2008-03-08, 08:16 AM
Sol is also heavily implied to be, or at least to be based upon, Freddy Mercury. Talk about taking a level in badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TookALevelInBadass)! Although having one of the best rock bands in history before helps.

And, strangely enough, while he is extremely powerful in the fluff, in actual gameplay he's strong, but not overpowered (although he has some very cheap tactics). Same with Dizzy.

Rutee
2008-03-08, 08:18 AM
You forgot Slayer, but yes, those 3 are some of the more dangerous characters.

Obrysii
2008-03-08, 08:26 AM
Polearms: the Third Hokage. Despite his advanced age, he used the polearm of the monkey king (from the Chinese story) which he considered heavier than before (again, due to his aforementioned age) to fight off one of the strongest villains in the series.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 08:35 AM
Artemis Entreri. Why? Because he's Artemis Entereri

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 08:44 AM
Lord of the Pansies: Artemis Entreri. Why? Because he's Artemis Entereri

You forgot to give him a title. :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-08, 08:53 AM
Bow - Archer, from Fate/Stay Night

Does he really, honestly, count as a bowman? I've only watched the anime but he uses a bow in a fight once to loose a single arrow.

Archer: Ulysses, The Odyssey (but Robin Hood (the book) comes close).

Oh yeah, THE book Robin Hood. Er... which one was that again?

Hammer - Norman, Mighty Max.

I could swear he uses a big heavy two handed sword. The toy version of him definately does.

Bow - William Tell.

Make that Crossbow.

Broadsword's and Hand and a Half's: Roy/Eliwood from Fire Emblem. In the games both are shown as highly proficient, although graphics are lacking, critical hit animations are not!

Both use Rapiers for most of the game and sort of suck. Durandal doesn't count as a hand and a half sword and more than Cloud's Buster Sword does. You could possibly get away from calling the Sword of Seals a broadsword but Roy only uses that in Super Smash brothers and the last couple of levels.

Anyway, my choices:

Master of long beat up Katana: Zaraki Kenpachi
Master of Katana: Goemon
Master of two Katana at once: Midori from Mai Otome
Master of Katana and sandals at once: Mugen
Master of Katana that is actually a gun not a Katana: That blonde guy from Gun X Sword

Master of the bow: Hawkeye from Marvel comics
Master of Guns: Brandon Heat or Kugashira Bunji from the Gungrave anime
Master of giant key: A.B.A. from guilty gear

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 08:54 AM
I'm a jackass.

Thanks for clearing that up :smalltongue:

Drascin
2008-03-08, 09:22 AM
Master of Katana: Goemon

Which Goemon are you talking about here? Because I, being the gamer I am, generally associate that name to this guy (http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/NintendoDS-Aventura/b2/IMG-cw43b1e177cfaf7/GoemonDS_Bpe.jpg), who is not exactly a swordsman :smalltongue:.

Rutee
2008-03-08, 09:23 AM
I suspect he refers to the Goemon of Lupin III.

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 09:37 AM
I'm immature and I go to bedwetters anonymous.

:smalltongue:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 09:42 AM
I'm still a jackass

You don't say.

Drascin
2008-03-08, 09:50 AM

Ahhh, that'd make sense. Thanks.

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 09:58 AM
I'm still quite immature. I am also incapable of coming up with witty comebacks to your astonishingly clever insults.

:smallbiggrin:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 10:02 AM
Yup, still a jackass

I've noticed :smallannoyed:

Rutee
2008-03-08, 10:05 AM
Silly boys.

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 10:07 AM
I remain immature; I also find the best solution to my problems is to repeatedly bang against it ineffectively until something gives.

:smallamused:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 10:07 AM
At the risk of sounding really immature, he did start it.

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 10:11 AM
Sort of...there can be arguments on either side.

Asmodeus: Dorizzit started it by editing the first quote so as to insult Entreri.

Dorizzit: Asmodeus started it by making it personal.

Both sides are viable.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 10:27 AM
Asmodeus: Dorizzit started it by editing the first quote so as to insult Entreri.

To me, that is personal :smallfurious: :smalltongue:

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 10:31 AM
Seeing as how I'm not dead, I'm going to assume that you are not, in fact, Artemis Entreri hence the defense rests.

Leon
2008-03-08, 10:36 AM
Master of Half-brick in a Sock - Rincewind

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 10:45 AM
Seeing as how I'm not dead, I'm going to assume that you are not, in fact, Artemis Entreri hence the defense rests.

Can't you read, I'm Satan (essentially). You aren't dead, but you now have a distinct lack of a soul :smallamused:

Spiryt
2008-03-08, 10:48 AM
Master of Half-brick in a Sock - Rincewind

Damn straight :smallamused:

Master (mistress?) of Poker - Susan Sto Helit

Artemician
2008-03-08, 10:53 AM
I don't care who started it, you'all either shut up and stop quarreling, or you can sit in your room for the rest of the afternoon.

Tengu
2008-03-08, 11:01 AM
It be flamin' troll war time, mon!
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/pyro-troll.JPG

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-03-08, 11:04 AM
I don't care who started it, you'all either shut up and stop quarreling, or you can sit in your room for the rest of the afternoon.

I don't know how this is really a punishment, as I'm doing that ANYWAY :smallamused:

Dorizzit
2008-03-08, 11:19 AM

Aw...

Can't you read, I'm Satan (essentially). You aren't dead, but you now have a distinct lack of a soul :smallamused:

I eat souls. I'll just make myself a new one out of an amalgam of subsumed ones.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-08, 12:01 PM

Yes, that Goemon.

SilentNight
2008-03-08, 12:01 PM
Were the battousai present for the Jinchuu arc, I doubt he would have lost in the first place. Agreed.

, but after the attack on Akabeko and the assault on the Chief's house (am I the only one who really likes that guy?),
He's cool. I just call him stache man.

Sorry about that, I just started re-reading the manga (which is better than the anime), and I'm in a bit of a Kenshin mood.
It's all good, it's all good.

Poison_Fish
2008-03-08, 01:57 PM
It be flamin' troll war time, mon!

Yey mon!!!

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-03-08, 08:50 PM
I like Roland Deschain, master of guns.

Setra
2008-03-08, 09:00 PM
She got 100% accuracy with all weapons and she never miss her target...I dont see how she could master it more then that.
Throwing Accuracy does not imply mastery, except over throwing. Which in itself isn't weapon mastery but I suppose I won't get into semantics.

On another note..

Favorite Master of Various Weaponry: Nazza, my Troll from World of Warcraft :smalltongue:

Honestly I wanted to originally put him as my favorite Bowmaster but decided against it, but since someone else mentioned trolls...

SilentNight
2008-03-08, 09:43 PM
Weapon master of bad-ass: Kenpachi Zaraki.

H. Zee
2008-03-10, 02:24 AM
Weapon master of bad-ass: Kenpachi Zaraki.

Damn straight! I came to this thread to say exactly that, but you got here first.

So now I have nothing to do...

*backs out slowly*

TempusCCK
2008-03-10, 02:38 AM
So yeah, this thread has pretty much degraded into various flaming and huge slobbering anime fanboyism.

If anyone has a real opinion on solid Masters of Weapons beyond the realm of all the Anime (which sarcly qualifies as good fiction) you watch, feel free to actually post it.

Tengu
2008-03-10, 02:57 AM
It's hilariously ironic how someone who wrote a trolling post like that accuses others of flaming.

Gun - Vash the Stampede, as already mentioned
Sword - hoo boy, I'll have to think a long, long time about this one
Unarmed - Fei Fong Wong
Axe - Matelite (cookie if you know who this guy is)
Blunt Weapon - Gordon Freeman
Sneaking - Solid Snake
Guitar (+ Shapeshifting) - Canti
Thrown Weapons - Yuffie
Mecha Pilot - Elzam
Knives - Maes Hughes
Spaceship Captain - Daitetsu

Rutee
2008-03-10, 04:03 AM
"It's not ironic, ti's just mean"

Also, this thread has been fanboyism from the start. Who cares what it's fanboyism of? Silleh boy.

Anyway, actual content, I'm going to have to say pistols is a three way split between Lucky Luke (He outdrew his shadow!), Vash the Stampede (Already mentioned) and Rushuna Tendou (She deflected /every shell of a chain gun firing/ with one bullet!). Pistols are popular :smallbiggrin:

Internet Memes: Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris played DnD 1st ed once. His character roundhouse-kicked the DM after he said "Rocks fall, everyone dies".

Dorizzit
2008-03-10, 06:04 AM
*snip*various flaming*snip*

I resent that slanted statement of fact. It was actually quite specific and has ceased.

If anyone has a real opinion on solid Masters of Weapons beyond the realm of all the Anime (which sarcly qualifies as good fiction) you watch, feel free to actually post it.

Look, if you're going to disagree with a lot of people, you could at least be polite about it. Anime and Manga can be over the top, yes, but that doesn't make it a bad art form. And it does have many quite powerful characters which align quite well with this thread.

Oh yes, and while I'm here:

Master of Awesome (swords and bows, specifically): Elbryan Wyndon, the Demonwars trilogy.

Fin
2008-03-10, 07:08 AM
Pretty much anything that can be thrown or fired: Roland Deschain, he is a gunslinger! He essentially can't miss! (He aims with his mind because he remembers the face of his father.)

Swords: Zaknafein Do'Urden

Artemician
2008-03-10, 07:17 AM
Why do people always get Wong Fei Hung (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Fei_Hung)'s name wrong? Okay fine, you're westerners. But if we can get your names right, then award us with the same decency... You don't see us calling the President Bush George, do we?

Mr. Scaly
2008-03-10, 07:18 AM
Is it too late to add in Dinobot as the master of robots in disguise?

Tengu
2008-03-10, 07:21 AM
Why do people always get Wong Fei Hung (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Fei_Hung)'s name wrong? Okay fine, you're westerners. But if we can get your names right, then award us with the same decency... You don't see us calling the President Bush George, do we?

Because I mean the main protagonist from Xenogears, who is based on Wong Fei Hung but is not him.

Artemician
2008-03-10, 07:35 AM
Because I mean the main protagonist from Xenogears, who is based on Wong Fei Hung but is not him.

Oh, you do?

*Is mollified*

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-10, 07:38 AM
Okay fine, you're westerners. But if we can get your names right, then award us with the same decency... You don't see us calling the President Bush George, do we?

I'm sure that there are plenty of 'easteners' who are very good with western names, particularly in Singapore, but there are also Japanese kids who can't be bothered and call Brad Pitt "Bura Pi-san". The fact that few academics can agree on how to write words in Roman letters also makes things hard. Individual preferences can also be important, with some Japanese or even Slavic people getting annoyed when you put their names in the English order and some putting their own names in the English order in an attempt to be helpful.

Oh, you do?

*Is mollified*

If I'd heard of only one of the two, I'd probably make the same mistake. However I actually had no idea that either of the two existed.

Tengu
2008-03-10, 09:34 AM
Individual preferences can also be important, with some Japanese or even Slavic people getting annoyed when you put their names in the English order and some putting their own names in the English order in an attempt to be helpful.

Wait, wha? You address someone by putting their family name before their first name in Slavic countries, but it's an extremely dry and formal way of addressing someone - how big of a stick in the arse must someone have to get annoyed if you address them more casually?

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-11, 06:53 AM
Wait, wha? You address someone by putting their family name before their first name in Slavic countries, but it's an extremely dry and formal way of addressing someone - how big of a stick in the arse must someone have to get annoyed if you address them more casually?

I was just trying to diversify my examples. I apologise if I was being rude or stupid or anything.

Then again, knowing people, there probably was someone that stuck up at one point in time. More likely though that someone who was already angry might use it as an excuse to get more angry.

hap_hazard
2008-03-11, 07:31 AM
Swords - Zaknafein Do'urden
Unarmed - Rock Lee
Thrown/Projectile Weapons - Tenten

To Artemician: Hello! :smallbiggrin:

WNxHasoroth
2008-03-11, 08:34 AM
Swords: al'Lan Mandragoran, Lord of the Seven Towers, Diademed Battle Lord, Uncrowned King of Malkier and Blademaster.

Tengu
2008-03-11, 08:51 AM
I was just trying to diversify my examples. I apologise if I was being rude or stupid or anything.

Then again, knowing people, there probably was someone that stuck up at one point in time. More likely though that someone who was already angry might use it as an excuse to get more angry.

Don't worry, I didn't feel offended, just surprised - and I try to grab every opportunity to show you people who've never seen a brown bear or a peasant road block some things that differ in my country. You could call it a very sarcastic way of patriotism, I guess.

Adumbration
2008-03-11, 09:20 AM
Master of Badassery: Fitz Chivalry Farseer. The end side of the Farseer Trilogy, where he and Nighteyes started combining Wit and Skill. Pity they never really did that again.

Master of the dull knife: Burrich. Seriously, who else can take on an enormous stone dragon with a dull knife and bring it to it's knees? Granted, he had his Wits about.

Master of the sword and dagger: Artemis Entreri. Becouse I can.

Master of the Body: Gaborn Val Orden. In the end, he moves a hundred times faster than an ordinary man, and has thousands of other endowments. Plus, he's the Earth King.

Robberbaron
2008-03-11, 11:54 AM
For skill with the whip, and brains, Kurama.

Nother vote for Garet Jax as all around melee fighter.

For eating utensils, have to go with Frankkus Godot, and his Hoffmannite throwing fork.

Dervag
2008-03-11, 11:58 AM
Inigo Montoya.

'nuff said.

SilentNight
2008-03-11, 11:01 PM
Inigo Montoya.

'nuff said.
He got his ass handed to him by Wesely though.

Tam_OConnor
2008-03-11, 11:43 PM
Well, let's see:
Sword, hamster and butt-kicking for goodness: Minsc (and Boo).
Lightsaber: Darth Revan.
Rapier and wit: Cyrano de Bergerac.
Starcraft Pilots: It's a toss-up between Wedge Antilles and Soontir Fel.
Non-anime master of the ridiculously-sized sword: Aliera, from the Taltos series.
Master of the Tomb of Horrors: Acererak (that /thing/ is a weapon).

Dervag
2008-03-12, 01:14 AM
He got his ass handed to him by Wesely though.Only because Westley is "Powered by Love." He could certainly beat anyone else.

The reason I don't think Westley counts is because his abilities are so dependent on his motivation.

Ganurath
2008-03-12, 01:32 AM
Master of the Tomb of Horrors: Acererak (that /thing/ is a weapon).If you consider the ToH physical, I will concede that Acererak could wield it to better effect than River from Serenity. However, if you consider it magical, I will stand by Kharla'ggen Vel'Vloz'ress.

Rockphed
2008-03-12, 02:53 AM
Ship: It's a wash between Farragut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Farragut) and Nelson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Nelson).
Using anything to kill Anybody: Bangladash Dupree (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070718)
Beating up on everything, though never really using his sword: Norman(Mighty Max)
Being-a-fuzzy-buzz-saw-Fu: Nimitz(Honor Harrington)
Half-brick in a sock: Rincewind!

dehro
2008-03-12, 05:57 AM
Firearms - Daisuke Jigen from Lupin III.

Whip - Indiana Jones

Sword - Ogami Ittō from lone wolf and cub.

Polearm - Long Sky from the Hero movie

Bow - Robin Hood and Legolas on a par

Unarmed Combat/Fist Weapons - any of Bruce Lee's characters, the protagonist of the Kung Fu series or, last but not least, Hokuto no Ken, a.k.a fist of the north star

Staff - Little John

Axe - Gimli

Favorite Starship Captain - han solo or "space pirate" captain Harlock

BadJuJu
2008-03-13, 01:14 PM
Hand-to-hand:
Formal Martial Arts: Bruce Lee. Just..Bruce Lee
Improvised Weaponry: Jackie Chan
Swords: Basil Rathbone. Yes, that's three actors rather than characters in a row, but god damn if they aren't good at what they do. Pick a Basil character if you must
Spears & Polearms: Nephenee from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Maybe I lucked out on stat rolls, but in my game, she was an invincible goddess of destruction.

Not just you. She kills everything. Twice.

BadJuJu
2008-03-13, 01:20 PM
I'm sure that there are plenty of 'easteners' who are very good with western names, particularly in Singapore, but there are also Japanese kids who can't be bothered and call Brad Pitt "Bura Pi-san". The fact that few academics can agree on how to write words in Roman letters also makes things hard. Individual preferences can also be important, with some Japanese or even Slavic people getting annoyed when you put their names in the English order and some putting their own names in the English order in an attempt to be helpful.

If I'd heard of only one of the two, I'd probably make the same mistake. However I actually had no idea that either of the two existed.

Is that Japanese for Daddy...?

BadJuJu
2008-03-13, 01:20 PM

Dorizzit
2008-03-13, 02:37 PM
Switchblade: Bun-Bun

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-13, 03:05 PM

No, it's just "Brad Pitt" with a Japanese accent and the last letters of each name left off.

I'm sure it's a minutely small proportion of Japanese kids who have Brad Pitt for their dad.:smallamused:

Talkkno
2008-03-13, 04:12 PM
Thrown Weapons:Mousse from Ranma 1/2.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-13, 05:29 PM
Thrown Weapons:Mousse from Ranma 1/2.

No, he's the master of hidden weapons. A duck shaped potty is not a thrown weapon, yet he uses one often. He also uses things attatched to ropes, which only half count as thrown weapons.

You can't pretend Mouse is cool by ignoring his lame weapons and focusing on his awesome weapons. Mouse can only be cool to set up him becoming lame in the next panel.

hamishspence
2008-03-27, 07:17 AM
Can we use the Weapons Master term for guys who train everyone else how to fight?

It which case, I like Zim from Starship Troopers, more the book than the film, though I have a certain fondness for the line
"an enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand! MEDIC!"

Also Alberich from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.

dehro
2008-03-27, 10:08 AM
Can we use the Weapons Master term for guys who train everyone else how to fight?

It which case, I like Zim from Starship Troopers, more the book than the film, though I have a certain fondness for the line
"an enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand! MEDIC!"

Also Alberich from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.

if so, then: yoda, miyagi (the karate kid of course) and sean connery's character in Highlander (can't remember the name :smalleek: )

Oslecamo
2008-03-27, 10:35 AM
Best bow user: Paris of Troy. He killed the men who had owned pretty much all of the other greek heros in weapon combat. You can't get much better than that.

WalkingTarget
2008-03-27, 11:23 AM
Best bow user: Paris of Troy. He killed the men who had owned pretty much all of the other greek heros in weapon combat. You can't get much better than that.

Yeah, if you count the Archer god saying "A little to the left, a little higher, wait for it.... Now!" to hit Achilles in the first place. (edit - err, I think I had some of this wrong so I've redacted this portion) Paris is unsympathetic as a character and is denied any sort of valor as he fails to best anybody in an actual fight and it's a toss-up whether he or Jason was more useless as a "hero".

Give me Odysseus any day of the week. The test his wife came up with to prove that a suitor was worthy was seen as impossible by the men in question (none of whom were even able to do so much as string the bow in the first place).

Mordar
2008-03-27, 12:40 PM

Hooray! As soon as I read the title of the thread I immediately thought of this character all wrapped in gray. Some people might "pooh-pooh" Brooks' books, but the first three I read (Sword/Elfstones/Wishsong) had a profound impact on me way back when, and Garet Jax was a frequent inspiration for RP characters in some form or another.

- Mordar

Oslecamo
2008-03-27, 01:04 PM
Yeah, if you count the Archer god saying "A little to the left, a little higher, wait for it.... Now!" to hit Achilles in the first place. (edit - err, I think I had some of this wrong so I've redacted this portion) Paris is unsympathetic as a character and is denied any sort of valor as he fails to best anybody in an actual fight and it's a toss-up whether he or Jason was more useless as a "hero".

Give me Odysseus any day of the week. The test his wife came up with to prove that a suitor was worthy was seen as impossible by the men in question (none of whom were even able to do so much as string the bow in the first place).

Paris had ONE god on his side. Acquiles had around half of them. They gave him a shiny indestructible armor and would be as nice as returning him the spears he missed, plus several other favors. Paris the weackling who would rather run away than fight killing Acquilles the pwrnz who would stomp whoever got in his way is the biggest ownage of legend in my humble opinion.

As for Odysseus's bow, many people believe it was a composite bow,something quite rare in Ancient greece, probably bought from Asia. The funny thing about composite bows is that they need a special process to string them and not just brute force. If you aren't trained in that process then you won't be able to string the bow no matter how strong you are. Odysseus knew the process. His rivals didn't. Then he shot an arrow in a straight line.

Hardly compares with 1 shot killing the biggest greek warrior who was protected by a divine armor.

Cubey
2008-03-27, 01:11 PM
Everyone knows that, as far as the Troyan War is concerned, Hector is the best character. He is THE original Badass Normal!

Odysseus gets the second place, for being one of the few ancient... any heroes who use their brains extensively.

WalkingTarget
2008-03-27, 01:42 PM
Paris had ONE god on his side. Acquiles had around half of them. They gave him a shiny indestructible armor and would be as nice as returning him the spears he missed, plus several other favors. Paris the weackling who would rather run away than fight killing Acquilles the pwrnz who would stomp whoever got in his way is the biggest ownage of legend in my humble opinion.

Don't forget Aphrodite who pulled Paris's useless ass back into Troy when he was losing the fight with Menelaus right at the beginning. Both sides of the war had multiple gods working for them. Check out the story of Polyxena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyxena) (one of the stories of Achilles' death). Achilles goes unarmed and unarmored to meet a girl he's attracted to (one of Hector and Paris's sisters) and Paris shoots him with a god-aimed, poisoned arrow, via ambush. That doesn't particularly strike me as the greatest feat of archery.

As for Odysseus's bow, many people believe it was a composite bow,something quite rare in Ancient greece, probably bought from Asia. The funny thing about composite bows is that they need a special process to string them and not just brute force. If you aren't trained in that process then you won't be able to string the bow no matter how strong you are. Odysseus knew the process. His rivals didn't. Then he shot an arrow in a straight line.

The Odyssey makes no reference to a special trick used to string the bow, only his strength (Telemachus was almost able to string it - his father waved him off - purely due to his anger with the suitors, implies pure strength). Modern audiences can justify it any way they want, but the text doesn't support it by itself. If the "straight line" is so easy, why were the suitors so dismayed by it? This isn't even something that Odysseus got divine help with.

Hardly compares with 1 shot killing the biggest greek warrior who was protected by a divine armor.

Ambush to poison an unarmed opponent and needed divine help to even get that much done vs. a killer trick shot and then taking on a room full of men who've been trying to seduce your wife? I know who gets my vote.

Oslecamo
2008-03-27, 02:27 PM
Ambush to poison an unarmed opponent and needed divine help to even get that much done vs. a killer trick shot and then taking on a room full of men who've been trying to seduce your wife? I know who gets my vote.

Go read the original story again. The Acquille's heel weack point was added centuries later. In the Illiad's text there is never a single reference to Acquilles having a weack point in his heel. He is a very skilled fighter and has a divine armor, but doesn't has any weack point in particular.

The Apolo whispering advice to Paris is disscussable. Some say he only encouraged Paris to shoot(since he was a coward), others go as far as saying Apolo possessed Paris and guided the arrow itself. The original text of this part is crippled so we may never know what the author intended.

But let's assume for a moment it is true...

The mens in that room were also unarmored and unarmed, plus a bunch of sissies with no special combat qualities and Odysseus got the help from his son. They probably were also drunck as hell.

Odysseus also had the element of suprise on his side, since nobody expected him to suddenly attack the suitors.

So in both cases the enemy is caught by suprise and is completely unprepared for combat.

Acquilles got weakened by poison. The mens in the room were much probably completely drunck.

Paris has a god whispering in his ears. Odysseus has his son fighting by his side.

Paris killed the mightiest warrior of it's time. Odysseus killed a bunch of idiots wich couldn't even get a wife.

I'm not saying Paris is bigger than Odysseus, since the latter managed to escape alive from all that and faced a very big number of monsters in the way.

I'm saying that last feat in the room with the axes wasn't anything really special compared with everything else that happened. It's more Odysseus cleaning up the house than an epic battle.

WalkingTarget
2008-03-27, 03:25 PM
Go read the original story again. The Acquille's heel weack point was added centuries later. In the Illiad's text there is never a single reference to Acquilles having a weack point in his heel. He is a very skilled fighter and has a divine armor, but doesn't has any weack point in particular.

Which "original story"? If you've gotten evidence that "proves" that any given version is older than another, I'm all ears (we know that some particular authors were later than others, but oral tradition controls such a large part of myth that it's hard to nail down anything with certainty). While we're at it, please point to where I even mentioned the heel thing at all. There's also no mention in the Illiad of Achilles death. That story ends with the burial of Hector, tamer of horses. The Greek story of Polyxena has him going to meet a girl and is then ambushed. Even if you leave the gods out of it, it's still just a sneak attack and the fact that it's Achilles is irrelevant. The only specific version of the story with Paris (instead of his brother, Alexander) shooting Achilles from the walls of Troy is from a Roman, Ovid, and every version of his death that I've been able to find so far on the internet this afternoon (don't have any of my books with me and I like using references when applicable) has included the heel as part of the story. Sure, the Illiad doesn't include mention of the heel, but the Illiad is completely irrelevant to that particular portion of Achilles' life.

Dost thou not blush, to spend thy shafts in vain
On a degenerate, and ignoble train?
If fame, or better vengeance be thy care,
There aim: and, with one arrow, end the war.
He said; and shew'd from far the blazing shield
And sword, which, but Achilles, none cou'd wield;
And how he mov'd a God, and mow'd the standing field.
The deity himself directs aright
Th' invenom'd shaft; and wings the fatal flight.

IOW: Hey, dingus! Shoot the jerk who killed your brother, I'll make sure it kills him.

*snip stuff about Paris vs. Odysseus*

The point about the fight with the suitors is that it's a better scene than backstabbing. By the end of the fight many of the suitors had managed to arm themselves in some way. Sure they have some surprise rounds to deal with, but not all of them were drunk.

I'm saying that last feat in the room with the axes wasn't anything really special compared with everything else that happened. It's more Odysseus cleaning up the house than an epic battle.

Odysseus' trick shot is right up there with Robin Hood splitting an arrow with another. It shows discipline and skill and isn't reliant on the Archer god, even for encouragement. It's vitally important as it's the credential by which the man proves his own identity (to everyone except the just-as-clever Penelope). Achilles is fated to die before Troy falls and the gods have to cheat to even make that happen. I'm not even saying that Odysseus is the best archer in fiction, just that his trick shot (and every explanation I've ever seen/read of what is meant by the 12 ax handles looks damn difficult to me) is more impressive than shooting a man who's not expecting it.

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-27, 03:58 PM
God my dislike for anime is gonna make me dig deep into my memory

Firearms - Blondie

Whip - Indiana Jones

Sword - Syrio Forel(spelling)

Polearm - Predator

Bow - Robin Hood

Unarmed Combat/Fist Weapons - Kwai Chang Caine Fool!!!!!

Staff - Who the feck uses a staff?

Axe - Random Dwarf #364

Favorite Mecha Pilot - I couldn't name a mecha pilot if you paid me

Favorite Starship Pilot - Lee Adama

Magic - Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, and mayor of a little village up the coast which is quite scenic in the spring

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-27, 04:27 PM
Staff - Who the feck uses a staff?

Bow - Robin Hood

Oh look, you answered your own question.

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-27, 04:34 PM
POint I was making is pretty much no Iconic character uses a staff as his primary weapon, Robin Hood used a staff once

Vaire
2008-03-27, 06:23 PM
POint I was making is pretty much no Iconic character uses a staff as his primary weapon, Robin Hood used a staff once

Yeah, but Little John was wicked with the staff. Knocked Robin Hood on his butt.

Also, Donatello. The Ninja Turtle, not the artist.:smallbiggrin:

Oslecamo
2008-03-27, 06:44 PM
Odysseus' trick shot is right up there with Robin Hood splitting an arrow with another. It shows discipline and skill and isn't reliant on the Archer god, even for encouragement. It's vitally important as it's the credential by which the man proves his own identity (to everyone except the just-as-clever Penelope). Achilles is fated to die before Troy falls and the gods have to cheat to even make that happen. I'm not even saying that Odysseus is the best archer in fiction, just that his trick shot (and every explanation I've ever seen/read of what is meant by the 12 ax handles looks damn difficult to me) is more impressive than shooting a man who's not expecting it.

Odysseus had all the time in the world to shoot. His target was also an inanimate object.

Paris had to aim to a living moving target. A living moving target with very sharpened senses. He also had to shoot from cover, wich surely didn't make thing easier.

This demanded a lot of skill and self control. If Paris made a single noise, if he didn't take Acquilles down in one shot, then he would be turned to mince meat. He had everything to lose.

If Odysseus failed he would just look silly, and then he would have butchered all the other visitors in the room anyway. He had nothing to lose in missing but his pride.

Yeah, it was a sneack attack, but guess what? It's much harder to make a proper sneack attack against the strongest warrior of your time than shoot at a target that won't fight back or move at all.

Acquilles had fighted for years now in the trojan war. Paris wasn't surely the first archer to shoot at him. He was the first to manage to hit him however.

And if you use the fate argument, then Odysseus was fated to come back to his wife and live an happy life after several perils. I could argue that the gods also cheated to help him in that axe thingy. Heck, they cheated by disguising him as an old man, so Odysseus could prepare that ambush.

WalkingTarget
2008-03-27, 07:11 PM
Paris had to aim to a living moving target. A living moving target with very sharpened senses. He also had to shoot from cover, wich surely didn't make thing easier.

This demanded a lot of skill and self control. If Paris made a single noise, if he didn't take Acquilles down in one shot, then he would be turned to mince meat. He had everything to lose.

Which shows that Paris is good at a sneak attack, not archery in particular. Find me some text (other than a simple synopsis of different versions) that doesn't have Apollo right there telling him to take the shot (if the god of Archery, who is on your side in the battle, tells you to take the shot would you expect to miss?). Pick your version of the story anyway. In one it's a total ambush with an unarmed/unarmored Achilles who's shown up for a meeting with a girl where Paris has his other brothers backing him up. In the other Paris is shooting from the walls of Troy in which case Achilles can't reach him. In neither case is a reprisal from Achilles going to be a one-on-one.

If Odysseus failed he would just look silly, and then he would have butchered all the other visitors in the room anyway. He had nothing to lose in missing but his pride.

No, Penelope has set the conditions. If he fails then it becomes that much harder to convince her of his identity. Even after he makes the shot she still isn't convinced and tries to trick him.

Yeah, it was a sneack attack, but guess what? It's much harder to make a proper sneack attack against the strongest warrior of your time than shoot at a target that won't fight back or move at all.

Acquilles had fighted for years now in the trojan war. Paris wasn't surely the first archer to shoot at him. He was the first to manage to hit him however.

Again, see the points about reprisal I gave above. In any case you're insisting on ignoring the majority of the myths in which the difficulty of hitting the target is negated due to Apollo directing the shot. If you can't be budged from that stance no matter the evidence, then there's no arguing with you.

And if you use the fate argument, then Odysseus was fated to come back to his wife and live an happy life after several perils. I could argue that the gods also cheated to help him in that axe thingy. Heck, they cheated by disguising him as an old man, so Odysseus could prepare that ambush.

Achilles had 2 possible futures foreseen for him. He could remain at home and live a long life, or he could go to war and die young but achieve fame and glory. I recall no such prophecy about Odysseus. He gets a lot of advice and help from people/gods along the way, but things weren't "fated" to turn out that way. In Homer, if the gods "cheat" for somebody it is stated explicitly (or in Ovid with the "The deity himself directs aright / Th' invenom'd shaft; and wings the fatal flight."). No such statement is made on Odysseus' shot. The disguise sets up the scene, but the archery is all him.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-27, 07:56 PM

Little John (as said by Vaire) uses it as his primary weapon as does:

As do:
Kilik from Soul Caliber
The Monkey King (Son Goku in Japanese) from Journey to the West and his many, many derivatives
Gambit from the X-Men
Donatello the Ninja Turtle
Batman's sidekick Robin in some incarnations uses a staff
Gabriele from Xena Warrior Princess (or so I've heard...)

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-27, 08:43 PM
Kilik from Soul Caliber
Who is that?

AslanCross
2008-03-27, 09:42 PM
Who is that?

Soul Calibur's a 3D fighting game, and Kilik is an ascetic warrior who uses the staff as a weapon. He was pretty cheesy with it in some editions of the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilik

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-27, 11:29 PM
Soul Calibur's a 3D fighting game, and Kilik is an ascetic warrior who uses the staff as a weapon. He was pretty cheesy with it in some editions of the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilik

Makes sense on why i don't know who he is, i usually avoid fighting games

Ya Ta Hey!
2008-03-27, 11:48 PM
Mecha: Miriya Zentraedi

Duct Tape: Poofy

Guitar: Herman Li

Rapier: Inigio Montoya

Dance-Fu: Michael Jackson

Jorkens
2008-03-27, 11:57 PM
Swordchucks - Fighter McWarrior.

Vargtass
2008-03-28, 06:26 AM
Oh yeah, THE book Robin Hood. Er... which one was that again?

Well, I meant Howard Pyle's adaptation of the ballads and folk-tales into a narrative suited for children. But I see your point, and I should have been clearer. And my preference of A book over moving images is that I prefer imagination over special effects...

Vaire
2008-03-28, 09:16 AM
Rapier: Inigio Montoya

Dance-Fu: Michael Jackson

If we're getting into the Princess Bride then Wesley was awesome with the Rapier and hand to hand combat. Not to mention poisons.

And if Dance-Fu is a legitimate category may I put in Paula Abdul.

MostlyHarmless
2008-03-28, 02:46 PM
Bow - Legolas
Sword - so many choices. Athos, Wesley, Conan, the Man in the Iron Mask
3 bladed boomerang - that dude from Krull
spear - Achilles
long rifle - Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans
light saber - Yoda
daggers - Paul Atreides

mikeloop86
2008-03-28, 03:37 PM
Master of Long Blade Weapons: Link/Legend of Zelda
Master of Short Blade Weapons: V / V for Vendetta
Master of Unorthodox Blade Weapons: Darth Maul / StarWars EpIII
Master of Unarmed Combat: The Drunken Master (Jackie Chan) / Legend of Drunken Master
Master of Combat Sorcery: Ganondorf / SuperSmashBrothersMelee
Master of Combat Psionics: Onslaught / X-Men
Master of Firearms: Cleric John Preston / Equilibrium
Master of Plot Armor: Neo / The Matrix

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-28, 04:01 PM
Well, I meant Howard Pyle's adaptation of the ballads and folk-tales into a narrative suited for children. But I see your point, and I should have been clearer. And my preference of A book over moving images is that I prefer imagination over special effects...

Regardless the Errol Flynn Robin Hood owns hard, I'd much rather watch his movies than read a book on Robin Hood

Vaire
2008-03-29, 08:51 AM
Regardless the Errol Flynn Robin Hood owns hard, I'd much rather watch his movies than read a book on Robin Hood

Well, who wouldn't want to watch Errol Flynn in tights? But that is beside the point. The movie isn't exactly on par with the legends. And if you want to go for accuracy it's not usually safe to base your assumptions off of TV or movie adaptations (i.e. Odysseus's bow in the miniseries).

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-29, 11:45 AM
I just have never enjoyed myself while reading any robin hood stories

Vaire
2008-03-29, 11:54 AM
I just have never enjoyed myself while reading any robin hood stories

Yeah, that could be a problem. I don't understand it myself. But then I've always been partial to British accents, even if they're in my head.:smallbiggrin:

I'd also like to add this:

Miho with swords.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't hesitate to go up against her.

dehro
2008-03-29, 05:52 PM
As for Odysseus's bow, many people believe it was a composite bow,something quite rare in Ancient greece, probably bought from Asia. The funny thing about composite bows is that they need a special process to string them and not just brute force.

meh...I just pictured the ancient greeks huddling over a set of instructions to build an IKEA produced wooden horse

Vaire
2008-03-30, 09:48 AM
meh...I just pictured the ancient greeks huddling over a set of instructions to build an IKEA produced wooden horse

LOL! Oh my gosh. I didn't think I could laugh that hard anymore. Thanks, you just made my morning.:smallbiggrin:

Squidmaster
2008-03-30, 02:33 PM
badass space shotgun-Jayne.

Arkhaminmate
2008-03-30, 06:07 PM
badass space shotgun-Jayne.

Vera FTW!!!!

Tengu
2008-03-30, 06:28 PM
Vera's more of an assault rifle, though. It's Zoe who uses a shotgun.

Irenaeus
2008-03-31, 09:25 AM
I'll interpret "awsome" as "a depiction I favour over any other I can think of at the moment" instead of "would kick the ass of any other fictional character regardless of genre".

Long Arms: Chris Shiherlis in Heat
Short Arms: the protagonist duo in Way of the Gun
Sword: Archibald Cunningham in Rob Roy
Nasty Improvised Weaponry: Nick Stone in Andy McNab's novels (I have a weird weak spot for them). I mean, the tongs of a Leatherman tool? A cell phone?
Martial Arts: Chen Zhen Fist of Legend

Can't think of any more at the moment.