PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] I would die a thousand deaths than see you in pain...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-07, 09:59 PM
Vigilant Guardian

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs29/300W/i/2008/064/2/2/Guardian_by_IMustBeDead.jpg

My lady, at your side is where I shall always be. - Darper Callion, Bodyguard of Arliam's Daughter

There are those who have devoted their life to the protection of others. Many think them reckless, even suicidal, but they are not, they simply put all others before them, and care for another's life above their own. There charge may be anything from a sibling to which they made a promise to a parent to protect to a royal individual to which they have forever pledged their allegiance.

The vigilant guardian is often not only content to protect their charge from physical harm, but all kinds. Though their intentions are always pure, the guardian's charge often feels babied, while others are willing to accept the judgment and even take orders from the one who has devoted themselves to their protection. Vigilant guardians are wont to develop a deep friendship with their charge, and often fall in love with the other in many circumstances, which only increases the intensity of their protective instincts.

Fighters, paladins and knights are the most likely to go the way of the vigilant guardian, but nearly anyone has the potential to follow the path.

Hit Die: d12

-=-=-=-=-

Requirements
To qualify to become a vigilant guardian, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any good.
Feats: Improved Initiative, Sacred Vow (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sacred_Vow,BE)
Attack: Base Attack +5

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Endanger No Other, Vigilance +4 +1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 One Eye Open, Shield Other -
3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Living Shield +1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Protective Instincts, Vigilance +6 -
5th +5 +4 +4 +4 I Will Not Betray Them +1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th +6 +5 +5 +5 Status -
7th +7 +5 +5 +5 NOOOO! +1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th +8 +6 +6 +6 Vigilance +8 -
9th +9 +6 +6 +6 Sacrifice +1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th +10 +7 +7 +7 Eternal Vigilance -

Class Skills
The guardian's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Search (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

-=-=-=-=-

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A vigilant guardian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and shields.

Spellcasting: At each level indicated, you gain new spells per day and increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Vigilant Guardian, you must decide which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Vigilance (Ex): A guardian may use the Aid Another action as a free action. At 1st level the bonus increases to +4, at 4th level the bonus increases to +6, and to +8 at 8th level. These bonuses are only in regards to combat and defense and do not apply to skill checks and similar.

Endanger No Other (Ex): You gain the benefits of the Precise Shot feat even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

One Eye Open (Ex): A guardian, though he may need rest, is ever vigilant. He may keep a continuous watch even while asleep, though takes a -4 penalty to checks to listen, search, and spot checks. If he sees or hears something that would normally alarm him he awakes instantly. At 8th level he takes no penalty to the mentioned checks while sleeping.

Shield Other (Sp): A vigilant guardian may use Shield Other once per day. Caster level is equal to his HD.

Living Shield (Ex): A vigilant guardian gains the benefits of the Deflect Arrows feat except once per round he may also deflect an attack aimed at an ally in an adjacent square even if it is not his turn. If they have a reach weapon they may attempt to deflect the ranged attack of anyone in their reach.

Protective Instincts (Su): At 4th level a vigilant guardian becomes hyper aware of feelings towards his charge. You become aware of the presence of any creatures with hostile intent towards any one being you choose within 30 feet of the you, and their direction from you (but not their specific location). This ability detects active aggression, as opposed to vigilance. In addition, as long as you concentrate active you cannot be surprised or caught flat-footed by creatures that are susceptible to mind-affecting powers. While under the effect of this power, you can make Sense Motive checks as a free action against anyone within 30 feet of you.

This ability can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of stone, 3 inches of common metal, 1 inch of lead, or 6 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

I Will Not Betray Them (Ex): A vigilant guardian is immune to mental control and compulsion effects, though still takes damage from mind-affecting effects, such as Mind Thrust or a mindflayer's blast attack.

Status (Sp): A guardian forms a special bond with those he cares for at a spiritual level. He is considered to be constantly under the effects of a Status spell, caster level equal to his total character level. He may replace or choose a new ally to keep track of as a standard action.

NOOOO! (Su): A vigilant guardian is considered under the affects of a Freedom of Movement spell whenever one of his allies is in danger and he would be normally hindered in his attempt to protect them.

The guardian may also sprint with incredible alacrity once per encounter, moving at ten times his base speed as a standard action, or ten times his run speed as a full round action. At the end of this sprint he may make a single attack or Aid Another.

Sacrifice (Su): Once per day a Guardian may select a single creature that they are willing to die for and a bond is connected between them. When the chosen creature needs to make a save he may use either their's or the Guardian's, whichever is better.
If the chosen one of the Guardian is the target of a spell that would kill them they do not die, but the guardian, no matter his location, even across planar boundaries, takes the consequences.
In addition, the caster must also make a save at the original DC of his own spell or be also be affected, whether the Guardian makes his save or not.

Eternal Vigilance: A 10th level Guardian that dies in the protection of another may choose to arise again in 2d4 days as a Sacred Watcher (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 183).

Mr.Bookworm
2008-03-07, 10:04 PM
I like it. A lot. I'll have to see if I can get my DM to let me use this sometime.

Though I have one question: Why is Sacred Vow a requirement? To me, it doesn't seem to fit in.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-03-07, 10:05 PM
Heh, that's what my name means.:biggrin:
I like this, very good tank class for those who don't just want to protect themselves.

GrassyGnoll
2008-03-07, 10:17 PM
I love the fluff as much as I do the crunch. Which is to say a lot. I think Sacred Vow fits a lot, they gotta show they're dedicated to something not any carefree ruffian.

Collin152
2008-03-07, 10:19 PM
Hm, I'm surprised at you, Tribble. Not only can I read this without fearing sudden destruction, but I actually feel compelled to use this as a pc.
I like it, it has good flavor, seems solid, has a twelve sided hit die, and you made it, so I trust it is balanced.

Sornas
2008-03-07, 11:00 PM
Very awesome, I love playing PCs with this sort of flavor. ^^

Minor nitpick, the text for Vigilance doesn't mention the initial increase to +4. ^_^

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-03-07, 11:45 PM
I get the feeling it'd be nice to have, say, some sort of racial substitution level, with the following:

WHYYYYYY!:
You do not gain the benefit of NOOOO!

Instead, if any one of your allies is dropped to -1 or fewer hit points in your view, you may instantly stabilize their wounds, or affect them as with revivify, if they have been dropped to less than -10. You must touch your ally to make use of this ability.

If you take a standard action to cradle your ally's head in your hands while bemoaning their fate, they are not merely stabilized, but returned to 50% of their full normal HP total.

SilentNight
2008-03-07, 11:52 PM
Very nice. Great flavor, balanced, but good crunch. I may use it as a DMPC for the Tomb of Horrors session I'm planning to run.

EDIT: What does sacred vow do? I don't have the BoED.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-07, 11:54 PM
..... ok, I want to know what you are doing in my head. I had though an almost exact version of this class :smallbiggrin: Only mine was more divine-powered, as a PrC for paladins.
I did get some inspiration from the Devoted Defender, and though about adding some ideas from the Knight, but this one is damn fine. Nice job.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-08, 08:14 AM
Minor nitpick, the text for Vigilance doesn't mention the initial increase to +4. ^_^
Fixed.

If you take a standard action to cradle your ally's head in your hands while bemoaning their fate, they are not merely stabilized, but returned to 50% of their full normal HP total.
*snickers*

EDIT: What does sacred vow do? I don't have the BoED.
Have the feat linked now. Just click it and it'll take you to a page explaining it.

Basically you swear your heart and soul to a higher cause than merely yourself, though it has to be a good cause.

Sornas
2008-03-08, 02:12 PM
Hmm, I have one more question. ^^ Do you think this could be adapted for use with Martial Maneuvers? I see that you have Martial Lore as a class skill, but no other mention of it. I'm not quite sure how the balance would work, so that's why I'm asking. :P

The reason I ask is that I can totally see a Crusader taking this, and in fact, I'm looking to play a Crusader in an upcoming game who this would be perfect for.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-08, 02:33 PM
Instead of spells per day, you could just take another maneuver or however it goes.

I don't know much about how that stuff works. Haven't read the book.

Stycotl
2008-03-08, 03:47 PM
Instead of spells per day, you could just take another maneuver or however it goes.

i would specify int eh requirments then. something like 'martial lore 8 ranks, three martial maneuvers from the devoted spirit discipline, or spellcraft 8 ranks, ability to cast ____-level spells' and then allow them to gain spells or maneuvers. if you wanted to be really nice and accomodating, you could even give the smite ability, or even freakin' sneak attack (all of the divine backstabbing prc's out there) as a requisite/level increase that they can pick.

Sornas
2008-03-09, 12:47 AM

Alright, well, both because I want to know people's opinions, and my DM wants it here for reference, how about this:

Instead of the Spellcasting progression, we yoink the Shadow Sun Ninja progression?

New Maneuvers: 1, 3, 6, and 9.
New Stance: 5.
New Readied Maneuver: 5 and 10.

Disciplines would be Devoted Spirit, White Raven, and Twin Spirit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40991).

It's a bit behind the curve most of the Tome of Battle Prestige classes use (1 every other level), but this class has enough nifty abilities to warrant it, methinks.

So, what do you far more balance-skilled people think?

Mando Knight
2008-03-09, 02:13 AM
I like what I've read of this class (I mostly just skim over anything longer than a short paragraph or a really interesting novel...), but I would remove the spellcasting advancement, or add its own spellcasting levels, since Fighters can take this class no problem, but won't be able to grab the caster levels unless they multiclass into it after dipping into a spellcasting class. Which isn't good for the Roys of the system (who then only decide to multi into this class because it would be cool) since they don't want to take a couple levels of Wizard because that would be conceding to their jerk full caster progression fathers that Fighters can't hold their own...

Funny how I don't have the attention span to read long paragraphs, but then I post some myself, huh?:smallconfused:

Uthug
2008-03-09, 05:17 AM
Nice class. However, the fluff seems to indicate a single charge while the class features seem to be able to work generally.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-09, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I agree about the generality thing. Also, it might be nice to give something to the non-casters- this is an awesome class to take for a Good-aligned Knight, but since they don't have casting, it's slightly less good for them than it is for a Pally or someone with even one cleric level.

Talya
2008-03-09, 10:12 AM
This is the best homebrew PrC i've ever seen.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-09, 10:13 AM
@^: Seconded.

Had I tears to shed
I would drown deserts
Had I eyes with which to see
I'd gouge them out to but remember thy grave

Yes, a very good work you have made here, sir Vorpal Tribble.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-09, 10:23 AM
Actually, this class is perfect for Sparhawk from The Elenium...

Zog it, I'm gonna have to write up a Pandion/ Church Knight base class now...

pmurray
2008-03-09, 12:59 PM
Vigilance (Ex): A guardian may use the Aid Another action as a free action. At 1st level the bonus increases to +4, at 4th level the bonus increases to +6, and to +8 at 8th level.

So you can give an unlimited number of allies a +8 to pretty much anything? Sweet! Of course, you could de-cheese this somewhat by making it a swift action. Free actions are things like dropping a weapon, ceasing to concentrate on a spell - things that literally take no time to do.

Sornas
2008-03-09, 07:50 PM
So you can give an unlimited number of allies a +8 to pretty much anything? Sweet! Of course, you could de-cheese this somewhat by making it a swift action. Free actions are things like dropping a weapon, ceasing to concentrate on a spell - things that literally take no time to do.

Yeah, but as far as combat goes, you have to both be threatening the same enemy. For skills, it's awesome though.

DracoDei
2008-03-10, 01:23 AM
I would CONSIDER allowing Enternal Vigilance to work in cases of death from old age... basically the same sorts of situations as might give rise to a "Hearth Protector" (one of the entries in you "Hearth and Home" contest a few months back).

Other than that and seconding the call for alternatives for non-spellcasters and PERHAPS making it more limited in scope of who you can protect (to better match the way I read the fluff), I like it.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-10, 01:35 AM
Yeah, but as far as combat goes, you have to both be threatening the same enemy.

Until you combine it with this prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74657), that is. :smallcool:

Oh, and shouldn't paladins be allowed to enter this class without losing their ability to level up in paladin?

Sornas
2008-03-10, 05:13 AM
Until you combine it with this prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74657), that is. :smallcool:

Oh, and shouldn't palladins be allowed to enter this class without losing their ability to level up in paladin?

Thats...evil.
:smalleek: