PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arcanist (PRC) (PEACH)

BRC
2008-03-14, 06:49 PM
Martial Arcanist
Oh sure, a strong arm, a steady heart, and a quick hand are all a fighter needs. However, I know a few tricks to make that arm as strong as an ox, that heart as steady as a mountain, and that hand as quick as lightning
-Nicholas Shorebreak, Martial Arcanist

The first Martial Arcanists were trained by a magical university who recognized the necessity for soldiers to serve as bodyguards. However, rather than train a force that was only barely competent at both combat and spellcasting the wizards developed a style of magic that was easier to use and that would supplement martial skills. This style of magic meant that the user needed no prior magical power, which could be provided by somebody else. The end result was the Martial Arcanist, a solider who could enhance his skills with magic, and the methods used to train these formidable fighters quickly spread, until they were used by most arcane institutions.

Organization
Most Martial Arcanists are attached the wizard’s guilds, arcane universities, or other such institutions where they serve as bodyguards and elite guards. However, it is not rare for a lone wizard or sorcerer to keep a Martial Arcanist as a bodyguard. Some militaries train Martial Arcanists to act as shock troops.
Requirements

Base Attack Bonus
6+

Weapon Proficiency
Must be proficient in all Martial weapons

Skills
Knowledge Arcana 3 ranks

Special
Must study under somebody capable of casting 3rd level arcane Spells or be capable of casting 2nd level arcane spells.

Martial Arcanist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Martial Spellcasting|1|1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Class Ability|2|1|1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Combat Casting|3|2|1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Class Ability|4|3|1|

5th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|At a Moment's Notice|4|4|2|0|

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Class Ability|5|4|2|1|

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Class Ability|5|5||3|1|0|

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Class Ability|5|5|4|2|1|

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Class Ability|5|5|4|3|2|

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Class Ability|5|5|4|3|3|[/table]
Class Skills
The Martial Arcanist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier.

Class Abilities
Martial Spellcasting: A Martial Arcanist can spontaneously cast any spell on the Martial Arcanist spell list(as a Sorceror) without arcane spell failure provided they are not wearing heavy armor. However, these spells can only target the Martial Arcanist or objects they are holding or wearing. Once they stop holding or wearing the object, the spell effect fades after one round per caster level. A Martial Arcanist's caster level is equal to their hit die.

Combat Casting: at 3rd level, the Martial Arcanist recieves Combat Casting as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

At a Moments Notice: at fith level and above, a Martial Arcanist may cast a spell from the Martial Arcanist spell list as a swift action.

Spell List
0th level
Resistance
Detect Magic
1st level
Endure Elements
Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Shield
Enlarge Person
Magic Weapon
Feather Fall
Jump
Expeditious Retreat
Reduce Person
2nd level
Resist Energy
Protection from Arrows
See invisibility
Blur
Invisibility
False Life
Alter self
Bears Endurance
Cat’s grace
Darkvision
Eagles Splendor
Foxes Cunning
Owl’s Wisdom

3rd Level
Protection from Energy
Heroism
Rage
Blink
Haste
Keen Edge
Magic weapon, Greater
Water Breathing

Fourth Level
Stoneskin
Polymorph
Fire Shield
True Strike
Spell Resistance

Spellcasting Ability: Int

GoC
2008-03-14, 10:49 PM
I don't think Tongues, Arcane Sight and Nondetection should be on his spell-list as they're not particularily useful in combat and this is a combat orientated class.
Also a single dispel magic turns the martial arcanist into an ordinary warrior, this may be flavourful but it very good for a PC class to have such a fragile achilles heal. Maybe CL could equal hitdie?
I also think it's a tad underpowered. How about being able to cast one spell per round as a swift action? Then it'll see some use in random encounters while bringing it's power up a tad.
Hmm... now it's beginning to look like something from Tome of Battle.
Anyway just my two pesos.:smallsmile:

BRC
2008-03-14, 10:55 PM
The problem with making CL equal Hit dice is that sounds like somthing that would spawn ten thousand exploits. I think I'll drop those spells from the spell list though.
The One spell per round as a swift action thing sounds useful though, and because he couldn't use it to get a free quickened fireball or anything it wouldn't be unbalancing.

GoC
2008-03-14, 11:34 PM
The problem with making CL equal Hit dice is that sounds like somthing that would spawn ten thousand exploits.

Actualy, due to LA it's impossible to exploit without using spawn tricks which are ridiculously broken anyway (20 levels in every class)!:smallbiggrin:
Psst, could you review my Hopper Demon? I still haven't had any comments regarding CR.

BRC
2008-03-15, 12:09 AM
Okay, Your advice has been taken, don't you feel special!:smalltongue: