PDA

View Full Version : The Mind is Delicate. Shall we see just how? (Spells)

Kaelaroth
2008-03-16, 07:48 AM
Here are just a few things I've been working on recently:

Mindbreak
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Bard 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Humanoid Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will Negates, and Will Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This devastating spell is used by inquistors and torturers of the greatest institutions. By touching one humaoid creature, the caster can attempt to inflict 1d6/caster level points of psionic damage to the victim (maximum of 13d6). A Will Save can be made to resist the effect. However, if the initial save is taken, and the damage is inflicted, then the victim must make a further Will Save. If this additional save is failed, then the caster gains privy to the surface thoughts of the victim, as a detect thoughts spell.
If a victim has already fallen privy to one Mindbreak spell, then he takes a -4 penalty to resist any more cast upon him by the same spellcaster.

Mindbreak, Greater
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Humanoid Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will Negates, and Will Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This is a more powerful variant of the Mindbreak spell. The initial effects are very similar: by touching one humaoid creature, the caster can attempt to inflict 1d6/caster level points of psionic damage to the victim (maximum 22d6). A Will Save can be made to resist the effect. However, if the initial save is taken, and the damage is inflicted, then the victim must make a further Will Save. If this additional save is failed, then the caster gains privy to the surface thoughts of the victim, as a detect thoughts spell.
Unlike its weaker variant, however, the greater spell has an additional twist up its psionic, metaphorical sleeve. Should the victims thoughts be read by the caster, then there is a 50% chance that the victim takes another 1d6 points of damage, and, the thoughts that were read are in fact removed from the victim's mind, so that no other interrogators or torturers can utilise the information gleaned from the target mind.
If a victim has already fallen privy to one Mindbreak, Greater spell, then he takes a -4 penalty to resist any more cast upon him by the same spellcaster.

Thank you. I welcome any comments. :smallwink:

Ethrael
2008-03-16, 07:54 AM
This looks really good! Just a few q's:

Do the -4 penalties stack so if you've been on the wrong end of it twice do you get -8?

Also, possibly instead of this penalty, why not some temporary/permanent wisdom/intelligence/charisma damage so it shows that their minds are weaker now?

Adumbration
2008-03-16, 07:57 AM
Nice, but maybe you should actually give this psionic spell to psions as well?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-16, 08:25 AM
I agree with Ethrael's point about temporary damage (I'd say -2 Wis which lasts for up to 30 minutes whenever the spell works would fit due to it reducing the victim's will save, which could be taken as a measure of their mental strength).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-16, 06:19 PM
Thank you, this is exactly what I was waiting for. Gwyn, the character, does this so much, and now I have stats for it!

Bhu
2008-03-16, 08:39 PM
When you say psionic damage I'm assuming you mean mental. So does DR or Energy Resistance apply?

Flickerdart
2008-03-16, 09:33 PM
Cap the regular Mindbreak at up to 15d6, and the Greater to 20d6, maybe? Also, a Lesser Mindbreak (level 3, 5d6, no stacking penalty) to complete the trifecta?

Kaelaroth
2008-03-18, 12:58 PM
Cap the regular Mindbreak at up to 15d6, and the Greater to 20d6, maybe? Also, a Lesser Mindbreak (level 3, 5d6, no stacking penalty) to complete the trifecta?

Hmmm... Semi-Fixed.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was waiting for. Gwyn, the character, does this so much, and now I have stats for it!

Great - I'm glad you like.

When you say psionic damage I'm assuming you mean mental. So does DR or Energy Resistance apply?

This is entirely mental damage. No form of DR or Eneergy Resistance applies in this case, I'm afraid.