PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make a class like Warcraft Warlock

Guinea Anubis
2008-03-16, 04:05 PM
So I am looking for a class that will play similar to a Warlock from Worlds of Warcraft. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Ioth
2008-03-16, 05:49 PM
Hmmm Seems like you could pretty just get rid of the fiendish resilience and give them a familiar Quasit/imp at 3rd level which levels up as a any familar.

(probably get rid of detect good and give it kelgores firebolt PH2* If you dont use the PH2 its a ranged touch attack of 100ft+10ft per level and does about 1d6+1d6 per level max 5d6 fire damage. if it fails on getting through spell resistance then it still does 1d6 damage.)

Then Probably give a few invocations it can learn that works alot like those Dots. make it so that instead of decive item it gets soul drain.

probably deal about 1 damage per character level each round its in play and if a creature of at least 3 levels lower than you dies while under the effect of soul drain you gain a soul shard which will work to summon a medium shadow elemental (Tome of magic pg.165) in place of you're imp/quasit at 6th level if you have 2 soul shards then at about 10th level you can replace it with a succubus.

The imp should have one half you're hit points as normal for a familar and the shadow elemental should have 1 1/2 times you hit points. The succubus should use you're hitpoints for its hp. If you're unfamilar with a shadow elemental they have fly 40ft perfect, 12 ac, deal 1d6 damage + 1d6 cold damage and they have blindsight 60 ft. no strength, 12 dex, 14 cha, 4 int, and 11 cha and wis.

I wouldnt know much more about the warlock mine only made it to about level 15. Im pretty sure Soulshards could be used in any campaign for a bit more then just invocations and as a variant to the soul shard is to make it so you can use 1 soul shard as 1-5 exp in the creation of items and they would have a value of about 10Gp-50Gp depending on the level of the creature whos soul was in question.
Pretty sure they made it so the warlock couldnt make easy money with its spell in WoW and thats why its not tradable but in dungeons and dragons its perfectly fair to have abilities worth money.

Yakk
2008-03-16, 08:06 PM
What features of the class do you want, and what features do you not want?

The most interesting bits of "pet" classes in online games is the idea of having a significant part of your power wrapped up in a secondary creature.

krossbow
2008-03-16, 09:39 PM
hexblade is somewhat similiar, with its curse. Granted, its a melee fighter though.

Astralplaydoh
2008-03-17, 08:14 AM
There's already a World of Warcraft RPG book by White Wolf. It has complete rules for the warlock class. I highly recommend the book, it's a good solid d20 book. Even if you don't play warcraft, it has some unique rules and views on how magic works.

You might also need their new monster manual, because the warlock summons a lot of demons whose stats are in that one.

Bleen
2008-03-17, 08:59 AM
Mechanically, playing a Warlock like they are in Warcraft would be farking outright boring and I would reccomend against it.

If you want the same thing thematically, just play a conjurer who goes off the evil creature list and packs some necromancy spells on top of that.

There are PRC's out there that fit said theme, but they aren't really...that great, tbh. At least from the ones I can think of.

Yakk
2008-03-17, 10:08 PM
It wouldn't be boring if you also controlled the pet as much as yourself. :)