PDA

View Full Version : New to Star Wars Saga - character advice?

Saph
2008-03-17, 06:39 PM
We're starting a new campaign this weekend, and it's going to be Star Wars Saga. I've never played before, and I'm just now learning the rules. Could anyone familiar with the system give me some build advice?

We're playing in an Old Republic setting with both Jedi and Sith around. Characters are to be 1st-level, 25 point buy. At the moment I'm thinking of making a human Jedi. The character concept is supposed to be defensively-oriented, light and protective rather than killy.

Here's what I've got at the moment:

Str 12
Dex 12
Con 10
Int 11
Wis 14
Cha 14

Skills: Use the Force, Acrobatics, Perception
Feats: Force Training, Skill Focus (Use the Force)
Talents: Deflect

Force Powers: NO idea. I haven't a clue about which ones are useful and which ones aren't.

Suggestions for the build and for play in general would be really appreciated, since I'm starting from scratch here (the last time I played Star Wars was with the WEG d6 version). I know there are a handful of Saga players on these boards - any advice?

- Saph

WrathOfLife
2008-03-17, 07:09 PM
Move object is regaurded as the strongest of all force powers. And the defence powers are insanely good, Negate energy and rebuke.

Force stunn and Force disarm are mocked because, they really suck.

And Force Thrust is kinda a joke too, but it has the bounse of being hard to resist.

Since, you're going defence I'd suggest grabbing block, and deflect. Grab skill focus (Use the force), and consider dipping Scoundrel for fools luck later on in your build.

Basicly.

What you've got is pretty good for a start. 14 is kinda low for Cha for a jedi, but you'll be fine so long as you don't end up fighting lots of sith.

Jerthanis
2008-03-17, 08:02 PM
What you've got is pretty good for a start. 14 is kinda low for Cha for a jedi, but you'll be fine so long as you don't end up fighting lots of sith.

I disagree, 14 is plenty in a 25 point buy game, and Wisdom is a more vital stat for Jedi in any case. The difference between a 14 Cha and a 16 Cha is essentially the difference between a +13 Use the Force check at 2nd level and a +14 Use the Force check at 2nd level, and the difference never really stretches any further than that. Meanwhile the difference between 14 Wis and 16 wisdom is one or two extra force powers, depending on how often you plan on taking Force Training.

I'd suggest getting Block or Deflect, then getting Force Boon later on to be able to block/deflect for adjacent allies more often. Also, if you've got two talents to spare (who does, though?) Resist the Dark Side makes everything a Sith does to you 25% less effective. If you're going to be fighting Sith, that Talent goes a long way towards blunting anything they could do to you.

My group has been finding Force Slam to be extremely effective so far. More so than the 4d6 damage it deals, which is at low levels enough to pretty much KO large groups of Cannon Fodder and seriously injure actual baddies, it also attacks the enemy actions, forcing them to stand on their rounds. Still, its aggressive nature might not fit your character concept. You won't be ill served if you get Move Object, Rebuke and Negate Energy.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-03-17, 10:44 PM
I say do some dry runs and see what might work in terms of targets effected. also think about branching out of jedi for some things if you want some extra versitility. If you are gonna be the healer guy and support, maybe some levels in noble. oooh...There is a force talent that allows you to reset a force power as a full round action. That is a great way increase your abilities and not have to take multiples of 'non-combat' powers.

Saph
2008-03-18, 08:48 AM
Just to check - Does Charisma actually give a Jedi anything, apart from a bonus on their Use the Force check?

- Saph

The J Pizzel
2008-03-18, 09:17 AM
I would definetly change some stats around. Jedi are subject to MAD a good bit. Str can be a dump stat. Why? Just take Weapon Finesse Lighsabers and your BAB is already good. Don't worry about damage, it scales automatically with your level.

Dex should be extremely high, as well as Wis. You'll need force powers every chance you get. Save your 1,3,6,9 feats for force powers. Take all other feats from bonus list.

Char is next, followed by Int and Con. I'd go: Dex, Wis, Cha, Int, Con, Str.
(i don't have 25 pt memorized, sorry.)

I would personally take Weapon Finesse over Skill Focus (UtF). Beacuase most things you'll fight right now won't top your UtF check yet. But either route is find.

Dex needs to be high for Reflex Defense, don't do armor. It's really not worth it for jedi. Use your talents elsewhere.

Decide if your gonna be a jedi "guardian" or "consular" (and i use those terms loosely) to help your decisions on force powers.

Need a little umph to your hits, grab Battle Strike. Won't some fun, Move Object is great. Force Stun is also good, if underated.

One peice of advice, use the condition track. It took us a while to realize that it's easier to kill BBEG's if you'll use that condition track.

Talents: entirely up to you. I'm a fan of the deflect, block, redirect. But also the lightsaber damage one is good too. If you're gonna be in melee alot, block is friggin awesome.

jP

-edit - i disagree that Force Stun sucks. (i don't have my book so pleae forgive me). I think it's UtF vs Fort, if the fail, they move one step down the condtion track. That's pretty good IMO. Like i said though, my group pays attention to the Condition Track, move them down that, it's it's good night.

And no, char is pretty much only for UtF and maybe one or two other skills. Wis is much more important. As well as Dex.

jP

Person_Man
2008-03-18, 10:18 AM
Welcome to an excellent game.

Like everything, your build and powers depends on what you want to do.

I agree with the consensus that the only must have powers are Move Object, Negate Energy, and Rebuke, though you can get away with not having them until higher levels, since Move Object damage won't be that high and Rebuke won't be used that often until you get much more powerful.

Other then that, I like to focus on out of combat powers for roleplaying fun - just be sure to coordinate with your other party members so that you don't overlap.

Regarding a possible build, in SWSE you get a much better deal out of multi-classing then you do in D&D. So if this is going to be a long term campaign, I suggest that your first level be Scout, Scoundrel, or Noble. That way you'll have a much better starting skill/feat set.

A standard mobile defense build goes something like Scout 1/Jedi 3/Scout 2-5/Scoundrel 1/Knight X/Master Y.

Your end goal is Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Fringe Savant (all Scout), Block, Deflect (Jedi), Fool's Luck (Scoundrel), Skill Focus Use the Force (feat), Soresu, Shii-Cho, (Lightsaber Forms, and yes, you can use more then one at a time) + Serenity (Jedi Master).

You could also take a level of Force Disciple to be immune to all Mind Affecting effects, though I've found that someone with a high Will Save and Rebuke doesn't really need it very often.

You can trade out a few levels of Scout for Gunslinger instead to get Uncanny Dodge, especially if you want to go with a gun in one hand and a lightsaber in the other.

You can also take a few levels Soldier later in your progression for Improved Armored Defense. (It's not really useful at low levels). This will boost your Reflex and Fort defenses even higher, especially if you ever find and defeat a bounty hunter with teched up armor that you can take.

Whatever you do, make sure you qualify for Master at the earliest possible opportunity. Serenity is wildly important at for space battles and out of combat force powers, because it lets you get an auto natural 20. I've seen builds that try to use it in normal combat as well, but they're pretty dangerous, as you have to stand there helpless for a round to use it.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-03-18, 10:50 AM
I too am new to Star Wars Saga and would like a little advice on character building, and didn't want to start my own thread. I hope that's okay. I am wanting to build a snarky character that is dead-aim with a pistol. I was looking at going with Scoundrel and moving to Gunslinger. But I have no idea about the best way to really do that. Basically, I'm looking for which feats to take, which talents not to take, and any level dips that I should consider (and the talent/feat I would take them for). Any advice would be much appreciated. I already have a build, of sorts, but I think my GM will let me change it up a little since it was rather ineffective in my first session last night.

Oh, and scores are STR 12, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 17, WIS 11, CHA 15 as a human. (We rolled to determine scores.)

Starbuck_II
2008-03-18, 11:13 AM
-edit - i disagree that Force Stun sucks. (i don't have my book so pleae forgive me). I think it's UtF vs Fort, if the fail, they move one step down the condtion track. That's pretty good IMO. Like i said though, my group pays attention to the Condition Track, move them down that, it's it's good night.

And no, char is pretty much only for UtF and maybe one or two other skills. Wis is much more important. As well as Dex.

jP

I agree that Force Stun rocks:
Pre-errata it was UtF versus Will save making it overpowered. This is because Iron will a racial ability not a feat like in D&D: few people had good will saves.

Now it was errated to versus Fort so it works less. But still can be very useful: I've taken out things by taking Force stun twice.

I think the best powers are:
1) Force Stun: Making them be going down condition track is awesome.
2) Mind Trick (depending on how creative you are),
3) Surge (when you really need to get somewhere),
4) Move object,
5) Negate Energy (so many uses), useful if can't deflect well
6) Rebuke: stopping dark force user cold
7) Vital transfer: healing for you or others
8) Force Lightning: Drawback it does Dark points, but it very strong.

I too am new to Star Wars Saga and would like a little advice on character building, and didn't want to start my own thread. I hope that's okay. I am wanting to build a snarky character that is dead-aim with a pistol. I was looking at going with Scoundrel and moving to Gunslinger. But I have no idea about the best way to really do that. Basically, I'm looking for which feats to take, which talents not to take, and any level dips that I should consider (and the talent/feat I would take them for). Any advice would be much appreciated. I already have a build, of sorts, but I think my GM will let me change it up a little since it was rather ineffective in my first session last night.

Oh, and scores are STR 12, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 17, WIS 11, CHA 15 as a human. (We rolled to determine scores.)

Well, Dastardly Strike is nice (better than Sneak attack) talent: -1 condition track when hit them when denied dex. Still the hard part is need Deception (feint) to deny dex and may not work. Or surprise round.

Well, you need point blank (scoundrel gives) and Precise shot.

You may want to consider Dual weilding (Gunslinger has a talent relating to pistols and one relasting to dual weilding). But I'd only get feats Dual 1 and 2 at most; Dual 1 at least if TWFing.

But if you prefer a free hand: one pistol will be fine.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-18, 05:19 PM
If you decide to go with the single pistol, take Careful Shot and Deadeye for bonus to-hit/damage when aiming. And get a pistol with a scope on it.