PDA

View Full Version : PrC The charmed ones PEACH

J Do Baggins
2008-03-20, 10:30 AM
My wife is a huge charmed fan and when we play she likes spell casters but always says "if i was piper i could do this" ect. So here's my charmed one's prestige class for arcane spellcaster

The charmed ones are spell caster marked for there inate abilities to fight for the good of the world againts all forms of evil. They are selected for the good nature by the "powers that be" and granted extordinary powers to fight evil useing magic.
(sorry i do not know how to make those nice pretty charts but i'll do my best)

HD : D4
Skills: 2+ int
saves and Attack bonus as Wizzard

Requirments:
Lv 5 arcane spell caster
Must have be able to memorize spells and be able to cast spontaniously
Must have chosen a school to specialize in
Must be good
must be female
must have Strong emotional ties to other arcane spellcasters
Must have experienced great loss at the hand of evil

If a charmed one ever intentionally harms an innocent or a good creature they will have all charmed levels removed and never be able to be charmed again.
if they accidentally harm them then they are stripped of magic for a week.

skills: Concentration, craft, decipher script, knowledge(arcana), scry(i don't care if its only 3rd edition it should have been kept through out),spellcraft, use magic device

Chamred Ones
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Power of 3; Grant power

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Brew Potion

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Spell Creation

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Grant Power; +1 Brew Potion

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Feat

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|+1 Brew Potion

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Grant Power; Bonus Feat; Ultimate Power of 3[/table]

Charmed ones loose all spells per day and are allowed other then powers, to only have a number of spells equal to int mod memorized at a time and can change or replenish them by consulting there spell book( which they do not carry around) for calculating caster level charmed levels stack with previous caster levels

Grant power: Powers to a charmed one come as naturally as swinging a sword to a skilled fighter or shooting a bow and arrow as the most proficient ranger once they learn to tame that power; Gives The Charmed One the ability to cast a spell spontaneously once a round as many times a day as needed with a simple thought as long as the components cost less then a gold, taking normal time to cast. The spells may not be chosen at random how ever you must pick from your specialized school. the first power must be level 1 or lower, the second level 3 or lower, and the final level 7 or lower. Now see bottom of page for limitations. powers are subject to spell resistance, and are treated in every way ( other then components ) as they would had they been cast by a wizard of same level.

Power of 3 : if 3 charmed ones work together to cast a spell then the effective spell caster level for the spell to deal damage over come SR or any other effects are = the highest levels caster plus a bonus based on level of the other charmed ones. (that bonus comes from the equation (2nd caster lvl + 3rd caster level) / 3 [ so if we have a lvl 10 charmed level 10 other spell caster a level 5 charmed 5 other and a lvl 3 charmed- level 5 other we would have an effective spell caster level 26 = thats 20 + (10+8)/3
May not be a power and must have verbal components and requires concentration check DC = 20+ spell lvl. Spell may not be a power to any and all must have the same goal in mind for the casting of the spell. so if three charmed ones, one level 8 2 and 5 cast a spell w/ power of 3 it would be as if it were cast by a level 10 charmed one ( well 10 plus whatever other spell caster levels)

Bonus feats : can be creation feats a character of there level could gain, eschew materials, spell penetration, spell focus, iron will other magic based feats. at level to if already knows brew potion then sub for another creation feat only

Spell creation - Charmed ones can make up spells to preform tasks they need done. To do this they must have an empty memorization slot (not one that has been expended ) but have chosen not to memorized a spell. the spell can be pulled off the wizard/sorc list and must be at least one level lower then what a wizard of equal level could cast. Must preform a know(arcana) check = spell lvl +20... ALSO if a charmed one creates a spell it could be scribed on a scroll and added to the book or scribed and not memorized to leave this empty slot available

bonus to prew potions represents there expert ability to brew potions. the bonus gains them a 10% discount on all materials per bonus point and a +1 on effects ( such as potions of invisiblity would have a dc of normal +1, or a levitation potion would last longer, or whatever)

LIMITATIONS::: A charmed one can never cast a spell with an "evil" undertone - that means no fire, lightning or any elemental spells or a spell that uses raw energy in some kind of attack method. (no fireball, magic missile, flame weapon). also no necromancy of any kind OTHER THEN speak to dead. and only to find out about there killer. also no spells that pull there power from the plane of shadows. ( i know this part makes it a big let down but, 1 it helps balance a big bit, no walking artillery with unlimited ammo 2 according to my expert wife her sisters and mom these ARE all considered evil types of spells.) ALSO unfortunately no blink or teleporting, only dimensional door or and angel's "orbing"...

Please keep in mind that the charmed ones greatest power lies in the power of 3 and in there brew potion ability and scribe scrolls give them quite an array of spells to choose from

Yeah so i decided to add it back in but better;
Ultimate power of 3; 1/ week As wish, As long as all 3 charmed ones agree on what needs to be done.

i think this works pretty well
:amused: or :annoyed:
:smallcool: or :smallfrown:

keyboardboy101
2008-03-20, 12:34 PM
Using the standard level display format helps.

Do the prerequisites require spontaneous and prepared spellcasting (two spellcasting classes)?

The rest of the prerequisite fluff fits well with the show though.

Grant Power is overpowered. Unless you mean that they can cast it spontaneously and it counts away from their daily alotment of spell. In which case, it's not that overpowered. The wording makes it seem like it becomes a spell-like ability.

Bonus Feats - possibly too many.

Power of 3 - the wording could be fixed. When you say that it is multiplied by the number of Charmed Ones casting it, I think that you mean that it's the total number of their levels. And do you include non-Charmed One levels in that? Because for the level of the spell they are casting it would be determined by both.

On that note, do Charmed level stack with previous levels of spellcasting for determining the level of spells? Most spellcasting prestige classes include a 1st level feat/clause like that.

Ultimate Power of 3 is really overpowered. By that level a spell caster check of 30 and concentration of 25 is not very high. This gives them almost limitless power too.

Overall I think that you really do have a good start for creating D&D renditions of the Charmed Ones (I've watched every episode I think). It is a little overpowered right now and the physical display of the levels is a little messy, but its still good.

Primal Fury
2008-03-20, 12:43 PM
oh! i see, at first i didnt quite understand what was going on, but your using grant power represent piper's ability to blow s**t up and the like. hm... that makes sense... but are you sure that you want it to work that way? it seems as though only a single spell should be chosen rather than an entire level of spells.

and i agree with kbb, the ultimate power of 3 is way to much.

all in all, this could use some work, but you've got a great start

JoshuaZ
2008-03-20, 02:29 PM
Needs much better formatting and the spelling errors are also highly distracting. Now, actual issues:

First, shouldn't this PRC be restricted to females? I thought the charmed ones were always female. Note also that this PRC as written can be taken by someone at 3rd level, which fits in with the flavor of the show but may lead to balance issues (the general rule for both flavor and other reasons is that 6 should be the lowest level one can take a PRC in).

Also, since it was inherited I'd add as a restrction that one must have a parent, grandparent or greatgrandparent who was a Charmed One.

If a charmed one ever harms an innocent or a good creature they will have all charmed levels removed and never be able to be charmed again.

Even by accident? This would make it very easy for a villain to trick a charmed one into losing her powers. I'd allow the use of atonement if it was done accidentally or under the control of another being (similar to the rules for paladins).

Lv
1---Grant Power,Least; Power of 3
2---+1 arcane spellcaster class; Bonus feat
3---+1 arcane spellcaster class
4---Grant Power,Lesser; Bonus feat
5---+1 arcane spellcaster class
6---+1 arcane spellcaster class; Bonus feat
7---Grant power,Average
8---+1 arcane spellcaster class; Bonus feat
9---+1 arcane spellcaster class
10---Grant power,Great; Ultimate power of 3; Bonus feat

Even given everything this gives below, this class requires both spontaneous and prepared casting and then loses 4 levels of casting? No one is going to want to take it for that (and the only argument against it is the horribly broken Power of 3 which I'll come to in a moment). First, many of these levels should add 1 level to a prepared class and add 1 level to a spontaneous caster class, and some should add to both. Look at the Ultimate Magus as a template. I'd add 1 to both spontaneous and prepared classes at levels 2,3,5,6,8,9. One to prepared at 4, one to spontaneous at 7 and one of either at 10. This way one isn't losing out terribly on too much arcane magic.

Grant power: Gives The Chamred One the ability to cast a spell spontaniously once a round with a simple thought as the component and spell takes no time to cast. The spells may not be chosen at random how ever you must pick your specialized school. Each granted power can be from a spell level at least 2 levels lower then your charmed level minimum of level 1
(so at first Charmed level you can pick from level one spells or cantrips, at level 4 you can pick from level 2 or lower, at 7 level 5 or lover and at 10 level 8 or lower) Once you have chosen a power you may never use that spell as a memorized spell, and you must be able to cast a spell of that level and the granted power will use up perminately a spell slot for that level. once a power has been granted it can never be changed all granted powers are, of course, up to DM's discretion. ll powers are subject to SR and metamagic feats.

As written this is broken if it ignores expensive material components. You need to specify that the spell used cannot have a material component costing more 1 gp or more.

Power of 3 : if 3 charmed ones ( or any power of 3[9,27,81]) work together to cast a spell then the effective spell caster level for the spell to deal damage over come SR or any other effects are multiplied by number of casters , may not be a power must have verbal components and requires DC 15 concentration check. Spell may not be a power to any and all must have the same gola in mind for the casting of the spell. 3 level 6 charmed ones caster a 4th lv spell it would be as if the spell was cast by a lv 18 spellcaster

I'm not sure I follow this, but if I do follow it is way too broken. They can multiply their effective caster level by 3 for example? So 3 of these together can routinely cast 30th level spells when using 1 10th level character and two third level characters? Even if she's an idiot who takes all 10 levels of the class as written, she's becomes a level 13 character casting at 21st level. And once we throw in only taking a few levels in Charmed One and taking other levels in say Archmage, and using practiced spellcaster this becomes bad. Very bad.

I'm going to rewrite this with a suggested version:
Power of 3 : if a group of at least 3 charmed ones work together to cast a spell which all of them are able to cast, they add 2* (log_3 (number of casters) (rounded down)) to the spell's effective level and to the spell's save DC. Every member of the group must have a prepared copy of the spell and the must cast them simultaneously. Also whenever this ability is used natural 20s are not automatic successes for any save against the spell.

Note that the formula isn't as complicated as it looks. So for example, with 3-8 of them, it would add 2 to the caster level and save DC. With 9-26 it would add 4 to the caster level and so on.

ultimate power of 3: the three can make up a spell on the spot as long as they all have the same goal in mind and succeed concentration check of 25 and a spell caster check of 30 ( again up to dm's descretion for limiting the power of this ability i mean they probably couldn't focus on make the sun disappear to destroy a .... let's say.... plant demon) but the spell would have (virtually) limitless power (CATCH) The spell MUST be for good and cause NO harm to good or innocent, lest all the chamred ones be stripped of there powers and all other spell casting levels and be a lvl 0 peasent (unless they have other levels of non magic classes) also taking a wis, int, and cha, penalty to give them a score of 8 on each.

This is completely and utterly broken. It is completely up to DM discretion and if they screw up their characters are destroyed (also I think you mean a level 1 commoner, not a level 0 "peasent" (which is spelled peasant)). And given the requirements this could be done by 3 12th level characters? Uh no.

How about the following:
Ultimate Power of 3: Once a day three Charmed Ones may join together to use the Ultimate Power of 3. Each sacrifices one unused spell slot of at least level 7. They are then treated having cast Wish with an xp cost of 2000 each. For purposes of this Wish, no school is treated as prohibited unless it is prohibited to all 3 Charmed ones. This Wish is also automatically subject to the Power of Three.

There, that's just mildly broken rather than ridiculously broken. Part of the problem here is that the Charmed Ones are unique characters in a television show aided by the Power of Plot (which is even more powerful than the Power of Three).

Somewhat on that topic I'd add at level 1) Charmed Ones never fail on an automatic 1 on any save against magic and gain a +2 luck bonus on all saves. (this was originally going to be Charmed Ones never fail on any save against anything if that would lead to their deaths. Unless there is a contract dispute) This helps make them actually be "charmed" and not just badass casters.

J Do Baggins
2008-03-21, 04:27 PM
so appearently i did it all wrong ( according to my wife) so i'm gonna make some revisions

1st of all Charmed one must be female...

Apon becomeing Charmed a spellcaster Looses all spells/day except for her powers and YES powers can be cast at will with no components (Revised to say components must cost less then a gold piece)

However she can Memorize from the "book of shadows" a number of spells equal to her int mod/day( thats to say that a charmed one with int of 17 could memorize 3 spells from the book but would not have you use all of them, could use one spell 3 times) also a charmed one can regain her spells per day if she spends 1 hour study the book.

And i revised Powers.the level for powers at lvl 1 your power has to be a lvl 1 or lower; lvl 5 it must be a lvl 3 spell and level 10 a level 6 or lower spell.

RESTRICTIONS::: the charmed ones can not EVER use magic to harm an innocent or be stripped of powers if it is an accident they will be powerless for a week if on purpose they are stripped of all magic and sent to , yes level 0 peasant was kind of silly but was meant to show how weak you'd be) a level 1 commoner. The charmed ones can not use any kind of fire, lightning, cold, acid and cannot not use any kind of magic energy to attack. also no necromancy and no evocation spells ( no magic missle, fire ball, undead touch, false life, flame weapon ect.)

power of 3; 3 charmed ones can get together and cast a spell if they pass a concentration check dc = spell lvl + 20 and the spell will have effect as if it was cast by someone of the highest charmed level + 2 (one bonus level for each of the other 2 charmed ones) and yes for this check combine all Arcane spell caster levels

At level 3 gain ability to make up spells on need - to do this they must have a memorization slot availble and be able to cast it based on spell caster levels and pass a Know(arcana) check = spell level + 20

Bonus feats revised - only bnous spells at 2, 6, 10 at level 2 learn brew potion or other creation spell 6, 10 are any other creation spells, meta magic or magic realted feats.

OH and completely remove Ultimate power of 3

Lemme know you guys

Bluelantern
2008-03-21, 07:01 PM
so appearently i did it all wrong ( according to my wife) so i'm gonna make some revisions

1st of all Charmed one must be female...
Honestly? I lol'd after reading that.

RESTRICTIONS::: the charmed ones can not EVER use magic to harm an innocent or be stripped of powers if it is an accident they will be powerless for a week if on purpose they are stripped of all magic and sent to , yes level 0 peasant was kind of silly but was meant to show how weak you'd be) a level 1 commoner. The charmed ones can not use any kind of fire, lightning, cold, acid and cannot not use any kind of magic energy to attack. also no necromancy and no evocation spells ( no magic missle, fire ball, undead touch, false life, flame weapon ect.)

First: Let me say that does this kind of adaptations are always difficult, unless they are epic, it is VERY WEIRD to have a class that is based on a single group of specials (As far I know the sisters are unique). You don't have much to compare with, so is hard to put limitations on stuff, suppose that other sisters existed around the world? Would they have only the 3 gifts or maybe they could do other stuff?

that said, I think that the limitations on energy don't make much sense plus, I recall a episode where the sister go to the past and there is this past-life version of themselves and I think one had fire-attack and another had a ice-attack.

Also, I think they had a limitation on they magic about only using it for helping the inocent and never to pure self-gain, or the spell would end in 24 hours (So they could protect they house, but couldn't use it to get revenge on a co-worker that was annoying).

J Do Baggins
2008-03-21, 07:35 PM
Honestly? I lol'd after reading that.

Would they have only the 3 gifts or maybe they could do other stuff?

well according to my expert... Pru (the oldest that died) had three powers and we could only come up with 2 on piper and pheobe and one on page so that gave me the idea for three powers

that said, I think that the limitations on energy don't make much sense plus, I recall a episode where the sister go to the past and there is this past-life version of themselves and I think one had fire-attack and another had a ice-attack.

again according to my expert any magical use of elements are (at least) now considered evil i know only evil uses fire so thats where that came in. and the plasma balls and energy blasts typically in the show are considered evil... mainly the restriction on evoc and elemental spells were to keep them from being too powerful it would not be fair if they could walk around throughing lightning bolts at will ... lol

Also, I think they had a limitation on they magic about only using it for helping the inocent and never to pure self-gain, or the spell would end in 24 hours (So they could protect they house, but couldn't use it to get revenge on a co-worker that was annoying).

I agree

Bluelantern
2008-03-21, 08:26 PM
What I meant about the gift was how in the hallowell family they always are Telekinesis, Stoping time and Predict the future, and from that they evolve to something else. There is a sort of time and motion theme on them all, but in others family it could be diferent.

I din't known about the thing of fire being evil, It has been a while since I watched the show (I think it was like in the season when they turn phoebe in a mermaid that I stoped watching).

J Do Baggins
2008-03-25, 09:58 AM
What I meant about the gift was how in the hallowell family they always are Telekinesis, Stoping time and Predict the future, and from that they evolve to something else. There is a sort of time and motion theme on them all, but in others family it could be diferent.

I thought the same thing befor but my wife( the expert) got on to me and told me that there are 3 and only 3 charmed ones at a time on earth... but i thought it would be cooler if more charmed ones could get together and do power of 3's in powers of three like 9,27,81 to preform galactic level magic but .... all well i guess

What i have been trying to figure out is... you know how piper can GREATLY slow time or blow things up, and pheobe has premonitions and can sence emotions( well niether is really a controlled action ) the prem. just come to her and the senseing comes from being an empath, so what is her real power.... but that gets into makeing this PrC VERY VERY complicated... so i think this final revision will suit well enough