PDA

View Full Version : My Core Races

Lairship
2008-03-21, 09:52 AM
Hey people, I'll hopefully be posting one or two of these a day until I stop. :smallconfused:
I'm trying to make a set of races that covers whatever my players need to make a character, you know, stuff like the sneak race, meat-shield race, cute race, civilised dusty tower race, melodramatic spooky dark crawling in my skin race. :smallbiggrin:

Heres the first of many, thoughts?

Niliphite

They are descendents of angels and creators of the first empire which is now long forgotten.

The lineage to the celestials grows ever distant and though they breed true and each generation shares the abilities of the last, the elders fear they are loosing their heavenly bond.

Niliphites have skin ranging from pallid greens to brilliant jades, they rarely add to their body, finding sleek, clear skin to be attractive. Their hair comes in white-streaked blonde or glimmering black, no other, and they often style it elaborately. They are far taller and more heavy set than common man, known for traits such as large, piercing eyes, coarse hair like a lion's mane, hooked noses, broad jaws, thick lips and large hands.

Their temperament is where their mortality lies, while in social confrontations they do their best to be seen as holy, they are really as sinful as anyone, prideful of their heritage, wrathful at the lesser races that spoiled their perfect empire, greedy as they feast in their halls ignoring the lands troubles and at times slothful, content within their remaining cities. They are a theatrical breed, warriors of the niliphites are famed for poetry, while their wizards use slow, methodical dance to tempt the greater magics into their hands. Performance is a deeply imbedded part of their culture. Emotional would be another word to describe them, they laugh loud, they wail in the streets at funerals and destroy all in their path in "divine rage" when insulted. There are those however, even within their own kind that blame the niliphim for increasing wickness of the world at large, many of their ancient experiments now run free and hundreds of barbarians clans still blame them for their sorry state.

They would often worship their angelic forefathers directly, however after the empires fall so many centuries ago some now believe they either abandoned them or were simply not lending a hand in the first place. Thus many now look to true gods that reign over such things as light, courage, justice, control or other domains fit for the niliphite ideal. Their innate cunning and wit means they are sort after as clergy and fit the role of the travelling preacher very well.

Niliphites are drawn to adventure for a number of reasons, a common one is simply for a young niliphite wish to explore the world away his homelands decadent decline, another is to once again spread the message the empire offered, unity, they often do this through story, song and great deeds, regularly putting themselves in great danger to show their worth. Others travel in search of a banner to follow, be it a god or a people, these are reviled by their own people, but thought of as truly angel blooded by those they aid. Rarely, a band of bitter niliphites will test their supposedly superior bodies and minds against others for the sport of it, duelling all they come across and raiding their own ruins for the spoils that are rightfully theirs.

+2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity. Niliphites were ruthlessly selected for astuteness and force of personality over generations, but their sheer bulk does not grant them mobility.
Medium: As Medium creatures, niliphites have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Niliphites base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A niliphite can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of niliphites lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a niliphite is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the niliphite is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A niliphite is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A niliphite can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

+2 racial bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy and Knowledge (history) - Niliphite's once, long ago, formed a world-wide empire and still get by on fast talk. They pride themselves on being keepers of lore and all are taught from a young age of the world's past
Favoured Class: Bard, Wizard or Cleric. Once favoured class has been chosen it cannot be changed.
Level Adjustment: +1

Next up, well, they may not come in this order:

Angra ~ Roaming barbarians long ago sponsered by Devils** in return for sacrifice, they are still marked by this reguardless of their beliefs.
Miriados ~ Humans that live in colourful villages in near constant festival, in order to survive the dangerous world around them they venerate spirits and channel the powers of nature through ritual. Brave and simple.
Honnia ~ Honnia are demons that long ago left the legions of the Devils and while still savage to the exteme, choose their own path and promote liberation.
Kenk ~ Small craftsmen that lurk in complex underground fortresses that farm on underground rivers. They are creatures of stone and shadow, birthed by no god.
Omotyr ~ Cruel to travellers, they are kindly to each other and unified as a people, these beastmen are patch-work of horn, claw, fur and fang, quickly coughed up by mother nature long ago to defeat a other worldly threat.
Prutra ~ Once two peoples were attack by a nameless empire and almost destroyed, in a last ditch attempt to survive, they joined their races together. They are part machine, part plant.
Atayamahum ~ Sinister, regal moth and butterfly (female and male) people that start life as writhing caterpillars that are herded by their parents and used as soldiers until they grow into adulthood.

* I'm not bothering with languages, a player can learn any language except if it doesn't make sense to, like a insect peoples language or a secret one.
** This can easily be altered by DMs out their, but lawful Devil's control the chaotic demons with a mix of pacts, misdirection, making them fight each other and a bit of luck.

(Also, these are for a very wacky world I'm makin', but I won't be making that thread for ages.)

Magnificence
2008-03-21, 10:50 AM
I am in lourve with these guys. I think they're balanced...I think so anyway. :D
They make great bards, wizards and sorcerers, but you prolly know that, eh?

Talya
2008-03-21, 12:05 PM
Pride, avarice, wrath...even sloth? Blah. You left out the one sin that's better than all of the others! (And I'm not talking about Gluttony or Envy, either.)

Talya
2008-03-21, 12:11 PM
Pride, avarice, wrath...even sloth? Blah. You left out the one sin that's better than all of the others! (And I'm not talking about Gluttony or Envy, either.)

Lairship
2008-03-21, 12:18 PM

Well, first and foremost thanks for reading that lengthy, disjoined overview of them. And while I partake in lust myself (much more often than I should or deserve), I don't see this race as lusty. :smallwink:

Oh, thanks very, very much for the comment Magnificence.

Level20Commoner
2008-03-22, 04:44 AM
One small nitpick, in your spoiler/note that reminds people what the benefits of 'Powerful Build' are, you forgot to change one instance of 'Half-Giant' with "Niliphite". I have two questions also: 1.) Where does the name come from/What does it mean (if its origin is in another language)?, 2.) What base classes did you think this race would have a knack for? One last thing, I'd bet most people would be willing to let this race slide as a LA +0 if you gave Niliphites a single favored class (which is the real reason behind my second question) since the rest of the racial benefits are not all that powerful. Just a thought.

Rift_Wolf
2008-03-22, 05:32 AM
I like the concept, but aren't they Nephilim, not Neliphim? Sorry, angelic pendantry is a minor hobby.

Lairship
2008-03-22, 05:58 AM
One small nitpick, in your spoiler/note that reminds people what the benefits of 'Powerful Build' are, you forgot to change one instance of 'Half-Giant' with "Niliphite". I have two questions also: 1.) Where does the name come from/What does it mean (if its origin is in another language)?, 2.) What base classes did you think this race would have a knack for? One last thing, I'd bet most people would be willing to let this race slide as a LA +0 if you gave Niliphites a single favored class (which is the real reason behind my second question) since the rest of the racial benefits are not all that powerful. Just a thought.

Changed, thanks for noticing that!
1. It stems from Niphilim, fallen angels that bred with mortals long ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

2. Hmm, alright, I think they could pass as,
- Bards, they are diplomatic, a throwover from their empire days, and love the arts
- Wizards, they are historians, they must have a larger than average store of arcane books
- Cleric, they are, or think they are, connected to gods through their angel forefathers
Pick one!

Rift_Wolf, their name is spelt incorrectly because they have forgotten their true name after so long. Also, I like the sound of it. :smallamused:

Saint Nil
2008-03-22, 06:02 PM
A race decinded from angels? Favored class should definatly either be wizard or cleric. Insted of adding charisma, you could give them wisdom, making the cleric class easier for them. Wizards would work too, and they have the intelligence for it.

Lairship
2008-03-22, 06:14 PM
A race decinded from angels? Favored class should definatly either be wizard or cleric. Insted of adding charisma, you could give them wisdom, making the cleric class easier for them. Wizards would work too, and they have the intelligence for it.

To have wisdom is to be wise, they ain't!

Lairship
2008-03-22, 06:16 PM
Also I hate to double post but I;m just gonna get this outa the way, heh...
I think I'm scrapping this world and therefore it's races. I'll show you all what I had for a LA1 Angra.
You guys can use any of this material. :smallredface:

Angra
+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom. Angas are used to living in harsh enviroments on the edge of civilisation and its their lack of forethought that keeps them there.
Medium: As Medium creatures, angras have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Angras base land speed is 30 feet.
+4 racial bonus to Survival and Intimidate. Angras are altered by their lifestyle and heritage.
-2 racial bonus to Disguise checks and is never a in-class skill. Angras are visibly marked by their anceastral dealing with Devils.
Ram: A angra possesses horns which may be used in an unarmed attack. These horns do 1d8 points of damage, are treated as an unarmed attack, and may be used in conjunction with a rush or charge.
Trackless Step: A angra leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Favoured Class: Barbarian
Level Adjustment: 1

jagadaishio
2008-03-22, 11:00 PM
Whenever I read the word Angra, I think of someone with an odd accent screaming "ANGRY!" Then I realize that they have a favored class focused on raging. Was this on purpose?

Lairship
2008-03-23, 06:02 AM
Whenever I read the word Angra, I think of someone with an odd accent screaming "ANGRY!" Then I realize that they have a favored class focused on raging. Was this on purpose?

I'll try not to keep this topic on the first page, but I'll answer this.
Angra made deals with devils long ago, there name stems from "destructive spirit", so yes, they're a angry bunch at times. :smallbiggrin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angra_Mainyu