PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite races to play?

Magnificence
2008-03-21, 10:58 AM
While very similiar to asking "what is your favourite race?", what races have you played and enjoyed the most?
I've always been a fan of playing dwarves, to me they imbody every adventurer, they're loud, crass, greedy and have a love of battle mixed with a upbringing like a soldiers training. Its just so easy to fit them into a adventure.

Keld Denar
2008-03-21, 11:08 AM
Dwarves and Humans...I don't think I've played something that wasn't a dwarf or a human in about 7 years, maybe more...

I had a desire to play a Gnome Shadowcraft Mage a bit ago, but that game never got off the ground.

Currently, I'm playing a human fighter mutt, a human cleric, a dwarven monk/fighter/pious templar, and a human wizard in Living Greyhawk and a dwarf paladin/crusader/ruby knight vindicator in a home campaign. Fun times.

Hal
2008-03-21, 11:10 AM
I'm building a gnome character now. Somehow, the idea of a whole race of people who are perpetual pranksters, as a term of endearment, strikes me as being a whole lot of fun to play.

Dorizzit
2008-03-21, 11:11 AM
I really like Thri-Kreen. They can get a bit Cheesy in the right hands (heh), but I just really like the race.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-21, 11:14 AM
I've pretty much only played humans and half-elves. Mostly i find them the easiest to relate to and to generally have more interesting cultures than the other races. I especially don't want to play dwarves for a few reasons. One is the simple one that i find them ugly and i am vain enough to prefer to have pretty characters. More important than that is that they are so incredibly macho and masculine in culture, which doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Half-orcs is much the same, just more barbaric. In settings with the races being more interesting, such as Eberron, i have tried a bit more. I love the gnomes there and both elves and halflings are neat as well.

Parvum
2008-03-21, 11:15 AM
For some strange reason, I don't think most people like my favourite races, so I can't play them much. But one DM allowed me to use a Displacer Beast (paladin), so that would be my favourite race I've actually had access to.

Talya
2008-03-21, 11:19 AM
1) Human. Easiest to identify with, and free to make backstories that are unencumbered by racial plot, if I've got something big in mind.
2) Elf. I have always loved the agile, beautiful elder-race archtype. However, I do especially Drow following Eilistraee. The FR plot for the Eilistraeen drow creates a lot of plot hooks that don't require near as much work to be interesting. But even surface elves have a far more interesting divine pantheon in D&D.
3) Anything with celestial-blood. Half-celestial (I've got a half-celestial star elf bard in another game), Aasimar, even Angels. (Sean K. Reynolds' Sword & Sorcery book Anger of Angels is on my list to try out.)
4) Goliath. Okay, I haven't played them before, but I've always wanted to, and now I have a build and personality idea that looks interesting and a campaign to play it in.
5) Whisper Gnome. I'm not sure why...they fascinate me. I have never played a rogue, and I may make an exception for one of these little guys.

RTGoodman
2008-03-21, 11:21 AM
Well, for the flavor and roleplaying possibilities, I love Gnomes and Kobolds (especially playing up the racial enmity between them from both sides). Mechanically, I like Humans and Dwarves. I mean, they're just good.

Overall, I think Goliaths are probably my favorite. They get good racial abilities, and the idea of competition-obsessed giant mountain nomads is cool to me. Also, they have a game called Goat-Ball, and I'm not sure how you can't like that! :smallbiggrin:

ZekeArgo
2008-03-21, 11:22 AM
Always human, since I don't believe any other race can be played as anything other than: Human with X number of pre-determined personality quirks.

Magnificence
2008-03-21, 11:31 AM
I've pretty much only played humans and half-elves. Mostly i find them the easiest to relate to and to generally have more interesting cultures than the other races. I especially don't want to play dwarves for a few reasons. One is the simple one that i find them ugly and i am vain enough to prefer to have pretty characters. More important than that is that they are so incredibly macho and masculine in culture, which doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Half-orcs is much the same, just more barbaric. In settings with the races being more interesting, such as Eberron, i have tried a bit more. I love the gnomes there and both elves and halflings are neat as well.

Thats a interesting thought, just how handsome should a player race be?

However, I resent that tough should mean macho, a lot of beautiful people have led hardening lives. One of my first characters was a treasure seeking human warrior-poet (Fighter-Bard), he would make graves for foes that gave him a good fight and was often nearly brough to tears by the plight of the people the party helped. :smallwink:

Xefas
2008-03-21, 11:37 AM
Human. For one, on the mechanical side, you don't get enough feats as it is, so one more goes a long way for customization. For two, on the roleplaying side, you'll never run into the response "Well, a human would never do that."

"You can't have character development that involves killing one of your kinsmen! A dwarf would never do that!"

"You can't help this other player along in their character development by teaching them ancient, covetously guarded arcane secrets! An elf would never do that!"

"You can't be a badass! Gnomes don't work like that!"

Everything is inherently acceptable for a human to do. Sure, you can go out of your way to super-justify any action for some other race, but you'll never have to do that for humans. Every racial personality in D&D is just a human's with restrictions placed on it.

That said, I really like Warforged and Yuan-Ti Abominations, though I always use my homebrewed Yuan-Ti with either 0 LA or only +1.

Xyk
2008-03-21, 11:37 AM
Halflings I would have to say is my favorite. They are small, agile, and have funny shaped heads.

cupkeyk
2008-03-21, 11:40 AM
My fave race is kobold, Greater Draconic Rite of passage is the cheese, well worth draconic reservoir.

My most played race is half-elf though, since my dm will not always let me play kobolds, I go for diplomancer bard.

Next is the strongheart halfling, +1 to hit and ac and a feat is just too good to be true.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-21, 11:41 AM
I don't have an opinion of how attractive a player race should be, just about how attractive a race should be for me to want to play it. I personally prefer playing attractive characters, that is not the same thing as wanting to prohibit others from playing unattractive characters. My personal vanity is not the same as a hatred of unattractiveness.

As for dwarves being macho. The image of dwarves is not just toughness, it is also smithing, beer and warrior codes of honor. That is about as macho as it gets. You can easily be tough without being macho or for that matter have warrior honor, drink beer or be a smith. But doing hard physical labour, drinking hard and being a viking'esque warrior strictly adhering to a typical code of honor about taking hits and bashing the opponent up front is about as macho as it gets. Dwarves just fits the portrayal of a real manly man and that is not something i want to play.

Magnificence
2008-03-21, 11:48 AM
Xefas, very true, perhaps you could try a very exotic race, like a modron or a naga? :smallamused: But I agree with you in a sense.

Never let it be said I deny the value of a funny shaped head Xyk. :cool:

Magnificence
2008-03-21, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Terraoblivion;4085156]I don't have an opinion of how attractive a player race should be, just about how attractive a race should be for me to want to play it. I personally prefer playing attractive characters, that is not the same thing as wanting to prohibit others from playing unattractive characters. My personal vanity is not the same as a hatred of unattractiveness.
[QUOTE]

Hey, relax, I'm just thinking really. :smallsmile:

Terraoblivion
2008-03-21, 11:58 AM
Sorry, just got hit by a bout of paranoia there. As for the answer to your question i would say that as long as somebody wants to play it and it doesn't give grown people nightmares the player race is pretty enough. I might not want to play it, but i am sure that there are people who would if they are generally cool.

valadil
2008-03-21, 11:58 AM
Not counting single session games, I've played exactly 1 half elf, 1 dwarf, 1 gnome, and 2 halfings. The other 7 characters I've played in 3.0 or 3.5 have been human.

Eldariel
2008-03-21, 11:59 AM
I love Elves. In fact, I've played only one non-Elf character ever; I feel I understand the functionings of Elven psyche pretty well and can create interesting characters around the functionings. I enjoy the more distant, controlled behaviour inherent to the Elves and the view brought by living many times the life of the other races.

Lairship
2008-03-21, 12:36 PM
Human, for the reasons already stated.

Telonius
2008-03-21, 12:39 PM
I've only played a human once. Didn't really appeal to me all that much. My favorite characters have been an elf and a Shifter, with Gnome close behind.

The Rose Dragon
2008-03-21, 12:43 PM
Kalashtar.

Why? Cause they're the only race I ever got to play for more than one session, that's why! *mumble grumble*

TheThan
2008-03-21, 01:32 PM
If you look in the BOEF you will find rules for a 7th stat, appearance.

Anyway I’ve currently got a hookup with orcs. I really like how they are portrayed in the warcraft series of pc games. They’ve moved from random silly evil guys to actually having a culture, sure they fit the noble savage cliché, but it’s a good cliché to fit into.

Talya
2008-03-21, 01:39 PM
I love Elves. In fact, I've played only one non-Elf character ever; I feel I understand the functionings of Elven psyche pretty well and can create interesting characters around the functionings. I enjoy the more distant, controlled behaviour inherent to the Elves and the view brought by living many times the life of the other races.

There's a wonderful contradiction inherent in the elf...they are a peaceful, controlled, and apparently orderly race...that's utterly chaotic and freedom-loving and un-structured. I think their long lives make their chaotic individuality appear orderly just by taking so long between interesting events.

Paul H
2008-03-21, 01:44 PM
Hi

Dwarves. Yep, gotta be Dwarves. Bonus to saves vs poision, spells & spell like abilities. Extra con. AC vs giants. Darkvision. List goes on....... :smallsmile:

My main char in Living Greyhawk (RPGA campaign) is Oskar Thorinson, Clr 3 (Boccob; Magic & Trickery), Warmage 4 Mystic Theurge 4. Cha not a problem with stat increases to Cha at 4th & 8th levels, plus enhancement. (Cloak Cha+2). Bonus to saves & AC vs giants have decided enough scenarios.

My char in Age of Worms campaign is a Dwarf Samurai 5/Kensai 6. Good AC & 'free' +1 Holy/Corrosive/Ghost Touch/Sacred Katana doing mega damage.

Lastly in Death Trap Dungeon my Dwarf Cleric (trickery domain) had whale of a time with Disguise Self.

Cheers
Paul H

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-21, 01:48 PM
I liek half-elves.
I love it that whenever I play a character, be he a paladin or roge, I can make either a Con Artist or a Great Diplomat.
Not just for diplo-cheese, either, but, its just so... awesome.

I think Con Artist should be a half-elf only PrC.

Squidmaster
2008-03-21, 01:52 PM
While I play every race I prefer humans for reasons already stated, plus a himan can act like any other race if he/she wants to.

Ryuuk
2008-03-21, 01:57 PM
I guess mine would be human, plenty of directions to go and there's in inherent baggage like being nature loving or needing to have a beard. I did have plenty of fun playing a Phoelarch in a gestalt game though.

horseboy
2008-03-21, 02:27 PM
T'skrang, they're just so much fun. Highly polymorphic both physically and mentally so I can shape them into almost any concept.

Droyne (well, pretty much anything that can fly), I just like stuff that flies, and being immortal never hurts.

If I have to, I'll also play humans, though I consider them the least interesting option.

gm_rand
2008-03-21, 03:24 PM
Dwarf and all becasue of the fluff. The racials are just iceing on the cake for me.

Ganurath
2008-03-21, 03:27 PM
Always human, since I don't believe any other race can be played as anything other than: Human with X number of pre-determined personality quirks.Half-orcs beat your logic, although they have a hard time getting the words out because their tongue keeps tripping over their prominent lower canines.

That being said, half-orcs are my race of choice when I'm in a bad mood, and half-elves when I'm in a good mood.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-03-21, 03:37 PM
*looks up*
Well... crap. This is going to make me sound bad.
I'm a human fan. The idea of being an alternate reality ME surrounded by fantastic events in a fantasy setting is so very much my thing. I love the Goliath fluff. Halflings are nice as well. However, I HATE halfbreed races. They annoy me to no end, and I'm not sure why.

Weiser_Cain
2008-03-21, 03:47 PM
Orc
Half-Orc
Tiefling
Human (mainly for the extra feat)
in that order.

Ganurath
2008-03-21, 03:55 PM
*looks up*
Well... crap. This is going to make me sound bad.
I'm a human fan. The idea of being an alternate reality ME surrounded by fantastic events in a fantasy setting is so very much my thing. I love the Goliath fluff. Halflings are nice as well. However, I HATE halfbreed races. They annoy me to no end, and I'm not sure why.Oh, that human hatred toward half-humans is part of what makes a lot of my characters what they are.

Smiley_
2008-03-21, 04:02 PM
Humans are always good for those times when you don't know exactly what you want to choose.

As for my favorite race, I think the character that I had the most fun playing was a half-dragon lizardfolk. Frankly, the half dragon fluff was a lot more fun to play with a reptilian humanoid.

Madmal
2008-03-21, 04:13 PM
-Humans (you already know why)
-Illumians (they can be a little complicated to play, but my attention always drift to them...)
-Changelings (you can be most of other "basic" races...:smallwink: )
-Warforged (you can blame Data from Star Trek for that)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-21, 04:15 PM
I like odd races. I refuse to be bound by the fluff of them however. If people give me "An X would never do Y!" I just tell them to talk to the hand.

Seriously, I'll create a character with whatever personality I feel like. And if it contradicts what's "normal" for that race, so much the better!

Melancholy Hadozees! Gregarious and emotional Warforged! Oddities are best!

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-03-21, 04:28 PM
Oh, that human hatred toward half-humans is part of what makes a lot of my characters what they are.

It's not a hate so much as being offended by how the mules of the humanoid world actually count as a race unto themselves. Hell, I dislike the idea of humans being able to make half anythings. It cheapens the effect of fantasy races, for me anyway. I like elves to be the runway model version of what my human is, all that upchucking meals is great for the figure but leaves you weakened. =P

GammaPaladin
2008-03-21, 05:43 PM
Most of the half-breeds aren't mules... They breed true... O.o

Talya
2008-03-21, 06:13 PM
It's not a hate so much as being offended by how the mules of the humanoid world actually count as a race unto themselves. Hell, I dislike the idea of humans being able to make half anythings. It cheapens the effect of fantasy races, for me anyway. I like elves to be the runway model version of what my human is, all that upchucking meals is great for the figure but leaves you weakened. =P

Blame Elrond and Elros. Of course, the Valar eventually agreed with you and changed the rules.

DrowVampyre
2008-03-21, 06:15 PM
Elves. Always elves. Of various sorts, but always an elf...I've played, I think, 2 non-elf characters in my entire time playing D&D, which at this point is about 10 years. And one of those was a succubus paladin for a "reformed monsters" campaign.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-21, 06:20 PM
Warforged, all the way. :smallbiggrin:

MightyIgoo
2008-03-21, 06:21 PM
Warforged. Beep boop beep whirr click! Purely for fluff reasons, although the whole "never sleeps" thing is kinda neat.

One of these days, I'm gonna play a Warforged bard who breakdances...

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-03-21, 06:30 PM
Gamma: If the spawn of a horse and a donkey could breed true, they'd be half-whateverthehells? Humanoids are to be treated as sentient dogs for cross breeding purposes? I'm not going to stop folks from playing them in my games or anything, but that doesn't mean I won't silently mourn on the inside.

Tayla: The Valar are wise.

Bag: I forgot about warforged. I was to play a Mystic Swordsage one of those that used Alter-Self in order to be the party's transportation as an animated carriage. That not needing to sleep bit? Perfect for long trips. :smallbiggrin: Transform and roll out indeed. :smallamused:

Stycotl
2008-03-22, 02:28 AM
i tend to cycle.

right now it is tasoi. what's not to love about a goblin that has a climb speed, and a 30-foot base movement? cool stuff.

i think my furst favorite was the elf. mostly because of lord of the rings (books, not movies; this was back in '94). but then i decided that they were too pansy for me.

then i went to dwarves. i still love them for their tenacious and brutal power.

then i went to drow. yes, admittedly it was after drizzt (still in the '90's). he was my introduction to the race. they still fascinate me. every now and then i create a new one just for old time's sake.

then i went to humans as default. i think that i was in a stage where i was beginning to create more of a roleplay character concept than a rollplay concept, and so wanted to explore facets of my own identity as a human.

then there were the dragons. fun set of campaigns. maybe my all-time favorite, but i don't get a chance to do that very often, for obvious reasons.

i'm sure there are plenty of others, but my memory is bovine, and i can't even remember the thread topic now...

Learnedguy
2008-03-22, 02:32 AM
I love humans:smallamused:

Farmer42
2008-03-22, 02:34 AM
Grey Elves and Kobolds using RoDr and it's accompanying web features for me.

wadledo
2008-03-22, 02:42 AM
I like dwarves just because I feel I can get into their heads.

The races I've never gotten to play but have always wanted to:
Sea Kin
Ethereal Flicher
Half-Dragon

My absolute favorite character was a Adu’ja Ranger in a game that died after the first battle.
Captain Adu’ja, he's our hero!:smallbiggrin:

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-03-22, 02:57 AM
I've loved Dwarves ever since 2nd Edition, and in the past few years I've grown to love playing Humans, too. I don't know why, but playing a Dwarf feels right, and I just have to love Humans' racial bonuses.

I've never actually played in a game with Warforged anywhere, but I've used them as NPCs, and I do love the whole magical robot aspect.

Chronicled
2008-03-22, 03:03 AM
Whispergnomes are amazing, and I love them. I've tried them out as rogue, swordsage, and am planning a psychic rogue. Just can't get enough of the little guys... and their amazing Hide checks.

As an odder one: Gnoll. Yes, their stats suck (ideally, use a race like the Goliath's mechanics; or just don't take the racial levels and have them equal a half-orc), but the best RP-ed barbarian I've ever seen was a gnoll.

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-03-22, 03:48 AM
As an odder one: Gnoll. Yes, their stats suck (ideally, use a race like the Goliath's mechanics; or just don't take the racial levels and have them equal a half-orc), but the best RP-ed barbarian I've ever seen was a gnoll.
Oh, how could I forget Gnolls? I just love those wacky hyena-men.

If we're talking about "monstrous races", too, then I have to include Gnolls and Goblins, too. Gnolls are just awesome, and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Goblins.

Fruan
2008-03-22, 04:08 AM
I'm currently playing a Gnomish Knight, perhaps best described as Don Quixote meets the Oompaloompas. It's a total blast - I don't think I can go back to playing boring humans after this.

Dragor
2008-03-22, 04:34 AM
I have a certain amount of affinity for Dwarves (the first race I played) but the Githyanki, for some reason, also attract me. I've been playing Humans recently, though, as my friend keeps on playing Elf characters which totally stamp every Elven cliche to death.

Play-wise, I enjoyed playing Dwarven Fighters the most. I could break almost every one of the DM's railway tracks.... :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2008-03-22, 04:34 AM
As my avatar suggests, I like halflings. Dwarves are also fun to play. I also like kobolds, but after playing one for three sessions, I've decided never to play one again - the yappy voice is murder to my throat.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-22, 06:53 AM
Gamma: If the spawn of a horse and a donkey could breed true, they'd be half-whateverthehells? Humanoids are to be treated as sentient dogs for cross breeding purposes? I'm not going to stop folks from playing them in my games or anything, but that doesn't mean I won't silently mourn on the inside.

Tayla: The Valar are wise.

Bag: I forgot about warforged. I was to play a Mystic Swordsage one of those that used Alter-Self in order to be the party's transportation as an animated carriage. That not needing to sleep bit? Perfect for long trips. :smallbiggrin: Transform and roll out indeed. :smallamused:
If the offspring of horses and donkeys bred, then they would be their own species, by definition. One of the most important definitions of mule is "A sterile half-breed".

Any half-breed which is not sterile is not a mule. This is actually why the half-dwarf race from Dark Sun is referred to as a "Mul". It's a joke, as they are sterile.

Also note that not every humanoid race can interbreed. Muls require the intervention of magic to create, for instance. Dragons can interbreed with any race, but only because they are inherently magical. Some argue that the only reason elves and humans can interbreed is that elves are somewhat inherently magical as well.

Half-giants are the same.

How that applies to Half-Orcs... well... who knows.

KIDS
2008-03-22, 07:20 AM
I'm a fan of Elves, then second half-elves and half-orcs. But I really prefer elves from a roleplaying sense and a ton of new ideas that spring from them, even if I hate their inflated subraces and poorly matched racials.

CrazedGoblin
2008-03-22, 07:30 AM
in order:

Kua-Toa - played one as a bard best character ive ever played (my avatar)
Tiefling - damm cool eyes!!!
Halfling - they are just cool
Human - as mentioned earlier, anything goes with this bunch
:smallbiggrin:

LCR
2008-03-22, 08:23 AM
Humans, because everything else mostly comes off as a boring stereotype (Elfy McElf, dancing around, singing ... Grubby the Dwarf ... etc).

cheesecake
2008-03-22, 09:08 AM
halfling and gnomes.

I don't know why. I Larped a halfing Rogue and got into roleplaying his voice as being a high pitched, slightly annoying chatter. It basicly stuck with me for the last 10 years and since I don't Larp anymore(I don't want to be that weird old guy who still Larps) I use the voice for my Halflings, and I give my gnomes the sterotypical dragon lance feel without the fast voice and hard to pronounce names.

Glyde
2008-03-22, 09:22 AM
I'm currently really enjoying my Ibixian/Minotaur. It's fun to play something as distinctive as that.

Other than that: Half-Fiends and Warforged rank up there. Dwarves are fun to give a voice <3

This is all from a purely roleplaying perspective.

Neon Knight
2008-03-22, 09:26 AM
I like hobgoblins, if you didn't guess. Humans and dwarves as well.

Shades of Gray
2008-03-22, 09:28 AM
Half-Orc. My current character is incredibly fun to play.

I was a half-orc cast out of my orc village because I was weak (An orc commoner has 14). I found refuge in a dwarven clan, and learnt the ways of St. Cuthbert, and became a cleric.

LG Half-Orc Cleric of St. Cuthbert.

Also, since I have been living with dwarves all my life, I've developed an accent, however my dwarven accent, coupled with physically being a half-orc, coupled with not knowing a lot of common, has my character speaking like this:

"Top'a th'morning t'ya. 'ello 'vryb'dy.

When I get to level six I'm SO going to take leadership to get a translator.:smallbiggrin:

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-03-22, 02:02 PM
Gamma, it's not to simple as say MY genetic makeup. I'm half-white/half-asian. I'm pretty sure I can reproduce with another person with my ethnic backround. Would that make our spawn a new ethnic group as opposed to the next generation of mutt? :smalltongue:

Arutema
2008-03-22, 02:15 PM
Strongheart Halfling. It's good to be small. And an extra feat never hurts.

an kobold
2008-03-22, 02:55 PM
Tieflings and kobolds. Both are good for playing characters who are 'lolful' in the alignment access.

Dark Knight Renee
2008-03-22, 11:24 PM
Humans, elves, and half-elves. Humans are my default species in any setting, with elves as a close second when available. For some reason, I really like elves.

Doomsy
2008-03-23, 04:12 AM
Raptorans, Illumians, Asherati, and Elans.

I love the concept of a character naturally able to fly without having to become a genetic monstrosity or use of insane spells, and I always liked the whole thing with raptorans culture in races of the wild. They're underused, but I at least always found them neat.

Asherati (might be spelling it wrong) from Sandstorm are situational at best, but they are great fun. Nothing is quite as amusing as diving beneath the dirt during an aerial assault, and their mindset is just far enough from human to make things interesting.

Elans are kind of a guilty pleasure. Because they are one of the few races that you can pick that can compete with elves for longevity. Which can be really fun to play off a good roleplayer. They're also so very close but not quite human that it really does make for some fun times.

asphen fox
2008-03-23, 04:28 AM
Elves. No questions asked. Next is Aasimar then. Humans.

Elves... LotR-type Elves. No matter what the description is on the book... I always need to work the LotR-type into the game no matter what happens.

Skaven
2008-03-23, 07:32 AM
In standard D&D, Kobolds are my favorite.

I also love Minotaurs (Krynn setting) and Centaurs.

EvilElitest
2008-03-23, 07:35 AM
Haflings and 3E tieflings
from
EE

Rumda
2008-03-23, 09:39 AM
Raptorans, Illumians, Asherati, and Elans.

I love the concept of a character naturally able to fly without having to become a genetic monstrosity or use of insane spells, and I always liked the whole thing with raptorans culture in races of the wild. They're underused, but I at least always found them neat.

yeah I know exactly what you mean, raptorans are one of my favourite races to play as well, my other are in no particular order;

Aventi, as you can probably tell from my avatar,

Changelings, who doesn't like a race that can look like any other race it wants,

Spellscales, all the fun of being draconic with none of the level adjustment

and finally humans, my favourite of the core races, for the reasons everyone is saying

CockroachTeaParty
2008-03-23, 12:02 PM
I wind up playing humans the most. I have the easiest time making an Indiana Jones style dashing adventurer with humans.

That said, I love to experiment and try out new races. Some of my favorites include:
Warforged
Changeling
Thri-kreen
Dromite
and Kenku

Recently I've wanted to try out a Whisper Gnome. I've heard lots of good things, and although they seem a little overpowered, it's not enough to warrant a +1 LA, I think.

Skaven
2008-03-23, 12:50 PM
and Kenku.

Oh how could I have forgotten Kenku.. I love Kenku so much.

GrassyGnoll
2008-03-23, 01:04 PM
Sharakim, the LG "smart orcs". They let you be the unappreciated gentleman who just happens to have tusks. What's most fun is their inclination to address people by their full and proper names.

For neutral characters I like the Nezumi. Chain weapon shaman/rogue ratmen never get boring.

My favorite evil races are Drow and Half-Drow. They're the only elf race I like, mostly because of the undiluted hate of other elves we share. That's right you tree huggers I'm here to bring fire and ruin to your forest utopias. I take it as a challenge to play the anti-Drizz't. I'm not gonna say no to the Drow Judicator and Arachnomancer PrCs neither.

Swooper
2008-03-23, 01:39 PM
Humans - for freedom of roleplaying,
dwarves - for the reasons Terraoblivion doesn't like them :smalltongue:,
gnomes - they're a terrific excuse to play pranks* on the other players without hard feelings :smallbiggrin:,
half-orcs - because Hulk Thog smash and
grey elves - because they're better than you and they know it.

As for races I haven't tried: Goliaths, hobgoblins, shifters, half-giants, githyanki, xeph and dromites all look fun.

*I once Sovereign-Glued a bell to the local dwarf gish's helmet, while knowing no-one in the party had Universal Solvent. Priceless!

nobodylovesyou4
2008-03-23, 03:07 PM
alright, im the first one to say this - my favortie race to be (not for crunch reasons, but for fluff) is mindflayer. i LOVE mindflayers; not only do they have psychic powers, they can eat your brain!

aside from mindflayers (which ive only played once in a pbp campaign, it was awesome), elan is my next favorite for crunch reasons. the whole being-able-to-spend-power-points-to-ignore-damage thing is awesome. the only reason my elan psion survived is because of that (also because he betrayed his party, but who needs details?:smallbiggrin: )