PDA

View Full Version : Wind Darts (Spell)

Ethrael
2008-03-26, 03:18 AM
This is a purely offensive druid spell, as I realised they don't have many based on wind. This is my first spell, so if there isn't something there, please feel free to point it out. :smallbiggrin:

Wind Darts
Evocation [Air]
Level: Drd 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (200 ft. + 10 ft. /level)
Effect: One or more darts of compressed air.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No

As you point your finger at your target, you feel the air around you swirl and surround the point of it. Suddenly, with a piercing whistling sound, visible dart-like shapes shoot from the end of you finger, zooming rapidly towards your target.

You launch a hail of darts of compressed wind at your target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack roll to hit. A successful hit inflicts 1d4 per caster level in piercing damage, maximum 20d4.
In addition, the darts can break through substance with a break DC of 10 +1/caster level or less. The target may make a reflex save for half damage.

keyboardboy101
2008-03-27, 11:50 AM
Only able to target one creature?

Ethrael
2008-03-27, 12:22 PM
Yeh, something like a sniper shot. I originally also had the idea to make it also possible in a spread, but that would be more of a slash than single bullet.

watsyurname529
2008-03-27, 05:13 PM
Okay, interesting idea. I have one question though. Do all the darts shoot at once or are they released on later rounds?

If they all fly at once to the same creature, then it's fine and you might want to clarify that you must make one attack roll for all the darts, otherwise it gets annoying to roll 20 dice to see if you hit.

Triaxx
2008-03-27, 07:47 PM
I like it, though I'd have two rolls. One to see if you hit, then a d20 to see how many of them actually hit. Since you're firing nearly two dozen darts through a space, it's fair to say some might miss. Of course two twenty's would really hurt.

tyckspoon
2008-03-27, 08:26 PM
With the way you currently have it, I would phrase it something like 'you launch a hail of wind darts at your target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack roll to hit. A successful hit inflicts 1d4 per caster level in piercing damage, maximum 20d4.' Much simpler to write and more in line with other spell descriptions. Specifying how many individual darts you have only really matters if you're allowed to divide them among several targets or save them to launch over multiple rounds.

Having both a to-hit roll and allowing a save for the target results in a very weak spell, unless the spell has a really significant effect (the double failure chance is appropriate for a save-or-die, for example.) As is, I would probably drop this spell to second level for the weak damage die and having two chances to be defended against. A high dice rolled cap and the barrier-piercing are nifty, but not enough to make it a higher level when it's not really very good at the stated goal of being a damage spell.

Ethrael
2008-03-28, 04:14 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions.

The idea was that they were basically bullets, i was even going to call it wind bullets until I realised there aren't bullets at that time, so when you shoot them, you can get a pretty decent amount out in 6 seconds.

But I like tyckspoon's idea, and I think it'll be better as a second-level spell. I'll make the adjustments now.