PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I take off the ring of wizardry?

Frosty
2008-03-26, 11:01 PM
Ok, so a Ring of Wizardry 1 lets me memorize 4 more level 1 spells a day. If I wear the ring, prepare the extra spells, and then take the ring off, what happens?

Collin152
2008-03-26, 11:04 PM
Ok, so a Ring of Wizardry 1 lets me memorize 4 more level 1 spells a day. If I wear the ring, prepare the extra spells, and then take the ring off, what happens?

You've memorized them, and can therefore cast them.
If something else affectedon your memorized spells, like a pearl of power, I'd presonally rule against refilling those slots without the ring on.

tyckspoon
2008-03-26, 11:05 PM
I think you lose the spells, just like you would if you suffered enough stat damage to make you lose bonus slots. I'm not sure what happens if you then put the ring back on; the most probable are you have the slots prepared but they're empty (so you can fill them with a 15-minute study session) or the slots aren't readied until the next time you wear the ring through a refresh.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-26, 11:14 PM
I believe this should be looked at from an intragame perspective, instead of a metagame one for the answer (but then again, my DM loves house rules, so...).

You wake up one morning, and sit down with your spellbook. You spend about an hour (if memory serves) staring intently at your spellbook, and deciding what could be useful today, and what wouldn't be (you're wearing the ring at this point), and then studying to the point that you finally have all but the very final piece of the complex spell cast, and you know the exact motions and words with which you may finish it (because in my theory of magic, a spell takes a long, drawn out ritual to cast for mages, so they do all but the final step, and so it only takes them a standard action to alter reality in some way). As you are traveling later that day, your hand feels very odd, so you remove your ring. Dispite the shock you go through, do you truely belive that with all your focus that morning that you would totally forget that you had done such rituals? I think not! I would say that you keep your spells, but they no longer technically fill slots. If I were DMing that game and I were feeling generous, you'd keep your spells, and if I was feeling like a jerk, I'd make the spells only partially effective, because you did go through something of shock in losing that free space in your mind.

I say you keep them, if you decided against reading my whole essay.

Frosty
2008-03-26, 11:18 PM
Perhaps with a ruling that one character can't benefit from more than 2 rings of wizardry per day?

drengnikrafe
2008-03-26, 11:23 PM
I believe you are only permitted to wear two rings at any given time, regardless of what they are. And if you remove the Ring then you lose the slots, but the spells stay there. So, if you put the ring back on afterwards, then the spells you have already prepared would refill the new slots, and the same ring of wizardry could not grant new spells slots (as in, you put on the ring, prepare spells, take off ring, cast spells, put back on ring and gain new spell slots? No way). Oh, wait, I see what you're saying. I'd say that if you put on a new ring, it would fill the slots that the old ring left behind, so you'd have to be wearing 2 RoW at the same time to get your 8 spell slots, and since you can't use more then 2 rings at the same time (unless I'm thinking of something else, and getting my thoughts all up in a tangle), that would be the maximum, yes.

Corsec1337
2008-03-26, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty sure you lose the bonus spells... Or else why wouldn't every wizard wear the ring when they learn there spells for the day?

I've always looked at wizard spellcasting as you only have so much potential to cast spells per day, which the ring aides in. You read the book to refreash on how to actully cast the spells. This is why if you don't cast the spell you still technically "know" how to cast it the next day after you sleep.

Bandededed
2008-03-27, 12:19 AM
I also think you would lose the spells, even from an ingame standpoint;

You go through all the effort to memorize spells, including spells that you can only prepare and memorize because you are wearing the ring of wizardry that has expanded your mind enough to do so.

Then you take it off.

Suddenly, your mind shrinks back to where it was originally. You no longer have room in your compressed psyche to hold those spells, and thus they vanish.

Upon replacing the ring on your finger, your mind will re-expand. Since the knowledge you had before removing the ring has already been lost, those spell slots are also empty. You can replace those lost spells or fill in others; it doesn't really matter.

However, if you were to cast some of those spells before taking it off and putting it back on, you would not regain the power to cast four additional spells. The ring is what allows you to gain the energy needed to cast those four spells, and after those it can provide you with no more resources for that day.

On a side note, you can only have two active rings at a time. You could wear more, but only two will function at any given time. This is, of course, unless you buy that "mage's hand" thing from the DMG that allows you to wear a third ring and gain it's benefits.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-27, 12:43 AM
As the DM you can do as you like but I'd suggest treating it like a PRC. The PC can memorize more spells because he was wearing the ring which allowed him to. Removing the ring and the PC is limited to the max spells for his current CL. This helps prevent ring abuse. One PC studying earlier finishing and passing the ring to another wizard or wizards in turn.

Kizara
2008-03-27, 01:06 AM
I'd use simple logic.

1) While wearing item A, you gain benefit or ability X.

2) If you are not wearing item A, you do not gain benefit or ability X.

1) While wearing a Ring of Wizardry, you can prepare and cast additional spells.

2) While not wearing a Ring of Wizardry, you cannot prepare or cast additional spells.

Another example would be a headband of Int. If you were wearing one, prepared more spells, and then removed it, you lose all your extra spells.

What happens if you take the ring off and put it back on again? I'm not sure, but I think "you have all the spells you prepared availible again" and "you now have empty slots" are both valid. I would lean a bit towards the second ruling myself.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 01:13 AM
It's all very well and good to say that they should or should not lose spells, but take this into account, dispel magic targeted on the ring, ring is suppressed.

Now by most of your interpretations you are now short half of each of your lower level spells for the day, and unless you keep a back up ring, you just wasted a ring slot too. And WBL.

Same goes for walking into an AMF for any reason. Shorted.

Of course, my view is simply this.

1) A wizard can prepare a certain number of spells.
2) Ring of Wizardry increases that amount.
3) There is no mechanic in the entire game that gives any kind of indication at all that prepared spells become unprepared when you lose those slots. Look at Int drain, or taking off an item of +6 Int, or walking into an AMF with that item. Suddenly now you have to decide to remove spells. That makes no sense. They are there, and there to stay.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 01:14 AM
1) While wearing a Ring of Wizardry, you can prepare and cast additional spells.

2) While not wearing a Ring of Wizardry, you cannot prepare or cast additional spells.

Problem with your logic is, it doesn't grant the ability to prepare and cast extra spells, just prepare.

No where in the entire game is there any limitation on how many spells a Wizard can cast a day. Only a limit on how many he can prepare.

tyckspoon
2008-03-27, 01:19 AM
It's all very well and good to say that they should or should not lose spells, but take this into account, dispel magic targeted on the ring, ring is suppressed.

Now by most of your interpretations you are now short half of each of your lower level spells for the day, and unless you keep a back up ring, you just wasted a ring slot too. And WBL.

Same goes for walking into an AMF for any reason. Shorted.

Er. Yes? The exact same thing happens if you were using an item to qualify for a feat, to get extra uses of Turning, or any other limited-supply resource. If the item that was giving you access to the extra stuff becomes nonfunctional or you stop using it for some reason, you lose the stuff it was giving you access to. I don't see why spell slots should be treated any differently. Take off the Ring of Wizardry or have it become suppressed, lose the slots the Ring of Wizardry was giving you access to.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 01:22 AM
You lose the spells, definitely. Same with headband of intellect (if it didn't work that way, an entire party of wizards could all benefit from the same headband while preparing spells). It seems pretty obvious to me. You lose the benefits when you take off the item. The benefit of a ring of wizardry is increasing the amount of spells you can use.

Also, if it didn't work this way, sorcerers would get a disproportionate advantage. You put the ring on, take it off, and you still retain the extra spell slots for... that day? Doesn't seem remotely balanced - a practically infinite number of sorcerers could benefit from one ring.

The ring also doesn't specifically grant the ability to prepare extra spells. What it does is: "The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level."

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 01:43 AM
The ring also doesn't specifically grant the ability to prepare extra spells. What it does is: "The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level."

And as I said, Wizards spells per day are spells prepared, not castable. Once a spell is prepared, it isn't going anywhere.

Also note that: Yes multiple people could benefit from the same +Int item if 1) You had multiple Wizards in your party, 2) For some reason at least one of them doesn't want a + to save DCs

Also, spells prepared works for a Wizard because they specifically prepare them, it wouldn't allow multiple Sorcerers to benefit at once.

However, the way you view it Sorcerers are the ones that actually have a superior position.

1) Sorcerer walks into an AMF, he has fewer spells, he walks out, he has them back.

2) Wizard walks into an AMF, he loses several bonus spells and any spells from a ring of Wizardry, now he's waste all the money he spent on that ring, and he can never keep the actual benefits. Same problem for his +Int item.

A Wizard does not forget spells he has prepared except under three conditions:
1) He casts them.
2) He chooses to lose them to make room for different ones.
3) He gets hit by a negative level.

No matter how much a Wizard is Int drained, he's not going to forget his bonus spells, same thing applies here.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 01:53 AM
Of course it's "going somewhere". You lose spells prepared when you gain negative levels.

If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.

If you lose spell slots, you lose prepared spells. If you take off your ring of wizardry, you lose spell slots. Ergo, if you take off your ring of wizardry, you lose the prepared spells.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 02:08 AM
Of course it's "going somewhere". You lose spells prepared when you gain negative levels.

If you lose spell slots, you lose prepared spells. If you take off your ring of wizardry, you lose spell slots. Ergo, if you take off your ring of wizardry, you lose the prepared spells.

So for example, if you've prepared all your spells, and you see a situation you didn't prepare for...just take off your headband of intelliect and put it back on? You now have a few empty slots because you lost your bonus slot spells when you took off the headband. And you can now prepare better spells in those bonus slots?

This is a nice strategy...

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 02:17 AM
Mechanically the benefit should be lost.

- If not, on monday, you prepare all the bonus spells with a RoW 6 and a RoW 5. Tuesday the same with 4 and 3 wednesday 2 and 1. In 3 days downtime you doubled all of those spells. When you have spent many, or plan to spend, slots of a specifik kind just put the corresponding ring on and ding! recharged.

That would be like 5 scrolls per ring, except free of gold, xp, UMD and time. Not to mention reusable forever. It cannot be the intent of the item, the intent must be that you sacrifice a ring slot to be able to double your spells of level X.
It is not a sacrifice if it still works after your morning bookstudy.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 02:23 AM
So for example, if you've prepared all your spells, and you see a situation you didn't prepare for...just take off your headband of intelliect and put it back on? You now have a few empty slots because you lost your bonus slot spells when you took off the headband. And you can now prepare better spells in those bonus slots?

Any book-caster can dissapate a spell memorised. If you feel you have too many fireball spells stored and need to make room for some other spell, you dont have shoot the fireballs (and spend the bat guano or whatever).
Therefore, you can empty your slots without removing your gear. Those slots become available, but problebly not as easily filled as slots intentionally left blank in the morning.

Think of the hour of study in the morning as the actual powering of the spell (drawing in the power for spells do take more then 6 seconds, it is the actual release that is the "spellcasting" that people see)... a powered up, unspecified slot is not the same as an empty one.

Kizara
2008-03-27, 02:24 AM

Beyond being cheese, I'm fairly sure that stat-boosters must be worn for 24 hours to be effective.

Mind you, I don't generally enforce that; but I also don't generally allow BS like the above to take place ethier.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 03:35 AM

I'd think new slots gained from items etc. don't actually "come into being" until you've rested and regained your slots in general; otherwise sorcerers would gain a pretty heavy instant benefit from eagle's splendor. Can't say off-hand if there is a rules or FAQ citation on this.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 04:15 AM

Reread what you posted. As if cast. There is no way for a Wizard to lose a prepared spell without casting it or getting a negative level "as if cast"

You don't lose prepared spells.

- If not, on monday, you prepare all the bonus spells with a RoW 6 and a RoW 5. Tuesday the same with 4 and 3 wednesday 2 and 1. In 3 days downtime you doubled all of those spells. When you have spent many, or plan to spend, slots of a specifik kind just put the corresponding ring on and ding! recharged.

Read the text of the item before you comment. When other posters said X, they meant that you can buy a RoW for different spell levels, you don't actually get to choose what it is.

In my mind the Ring of Wizardry is meant to be a way to spend money to get an assortment of low level spells.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-03-27, 04:22 AM
This part of the rules seems vague enough to implement reasonable house rules. Why not have the additional spells granted by a Ring of Wizardry (or a Headband of Intellect, for that matter) linked to the item itself? That way, if you walk into an AMF, you lose access to the prepared spell slots granted by the item, but retrieve access to those same prepared spell slots once the ring starts working again.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 04:22 AM
Beyond being cheese, I'm fairly sure that stat-boosters must be worn for 24 hours to be effective.

I'd think new slots gained from items etc. don't actually "come into being" until you've rested and regained your slots in general; otherwise sorcerers would gain a pretty heavy instant benefit from eagle's splendor. Can't say off-hand if there is a rules or FAQ citation on this.

Not true at all, they are obtained instantly upon wearing the item. Once again you need to think about the fact that items are disabled for at least one round per day, every day, after about level 15. No one would ever get to use their stat boosters again.

Also, the reason Sorcerers can't use that is because Eagle's Splendor (and Fox's Cunning) both specifically state that you don't receive extra spell slots for them.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Khanderas
Read the text of the item before you comment. When other posters said X, they meant that you can buy a RoW for different spell levels, you don't actually get to choose what it is.

In my mind the Ring of Wizardry is meant to be a way to spend money to get an assortment of low level spells.
I think that you think that I think that a RoW is a ring of spellstoring somehow. Maybe you should reread posts before you comment :smalltongue:
I did look at the item description (since it took me quite a few re-reads of your post before figuring out the above) and there are only RoW by RAW for levels 1-4. So monday in my post is flawed. That is problebly not what you referred to though.

The question was first what happens when you remove and put back a RoW, and soon evolved into 'are your spells still there when you put it back' (since few if any say that you can keep the extra spells without the ring on).

My point, was that if the spells were still there if you removed your ring and put it back on, what would stop you from getting the benefit from all rings at once (1, 2, 3 and 4) if all you have to do is put a ring back on your finger to "recharge" your doubled spells. That would change the RoW to rings of multiple spell storing's and as far as I know, that is alittle too much fun, not to mention the possibility to benefit from 4 rings at once (plus two more rings you keep on, for when you dont recharge spells).

Roderick_BR
2008-03-27, 05:26 AM
I believe this should be looked at from an intragame perspective, instead of a metagame one for the answer (but then again, my DM loves house rules, so...).

You wake up one morning, and sit down with your spellbook. You spend about an hour (if memory serves) staring intently at your spellbook, and deciding what could be useful today, and what wouldn't be (you're wearing the ring at this point), and then studying to the point that you finally have all but the very final piece of the complex spell cast, and you know the exact motions and words with which you may finish it (because in my theory of magic, a spell takes a long, drawn out ritual to cast for mages, so they do all but the final step, and so it only takes them a standard action to alter reality in some way). As you are traveling later that day, your hand feels very odd, so you remove your ring. Dispite the shock you go through, do you truely belive that with all your focus that morning that you would totally forget that you had done such rituals? I think not! I would say that you keep your spells, but they no longer technically fill slots. If I were DMing that game and I were feeling generous, you'd keep your spells, and if I was feeling like a jerk, I'd make the spells only partially effective, because you did go through something of shock in losing that free space in your mind.

I say you keep them, if you decided against reading my whole essay.
The problem is that all those rituals were not memorized with your concentration alone, but supported by an magic effect. When the effect ends prematurely, it can't help you to keep these things anymore. Remember that technically, you never really "forgets" magic (or you would need to re-learn it everyday, instead of just memorizing). The ring, in a way, enhances your memory, and ability to keep the spell in your mind, along the stored energy. When it's gone, the extra information just leaks off, and is gone too.
It's like carrying something heavy with a friend's help, and suddenly your friend needs to leave. You'll have a hard time carrying the object alone.

And one addition for Khanderas's question. What keeps you from sharing your rings with the others wizards in the group? :smalltongue:

The taking-out-and-back-in tiara of intellect trick won't work because the wizard will need another 8 hours of rest to make the new slots ready to be filled. Technically you gain the full benefits of an higher int when wearing it, but you still need the normal time to prepare the new slots.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 05:50 AM
And one addition for Khanderas's question. What keeps you from sharing your rings with the others wizards in the group? :smalltongue:
Im with you on that, I think... my question was more rethorical really since it would be abusive as heck. The spell is not in the ring (RoW is not RoSpellstoring) but is an enhancer only.
Removing a RoW will lower your capacity for storing spellpower in your mind (spellpower because you can probleby remember every spell you ever known, but you can't "power" them all plus casting does not mean forget... casting renders the spells power spent).

So if you have 8 slots with the ring, now you have 4. In order for your brain not exploding the spells that don't fit, gets to dissipate. Put it back on, and you once again have the capacity to store 8 spells, but the new ones will be empty until you rest and refill them.
If you did cast 4 or more spells that day however, nothing happens when you remove the ring because no spells were ever stored in the ring.

While im typing stuff, my take on the AMF is that since it only supresses magic (continous effects reappear when you exit) you don't lose spells while in it. And fairly pointless to keep track of spellslots when in one anyway. But that is mostly for simplicity and can be debated, but not by me :smallbiggrin:

pendell
2008-03-27, 06:53 AM
Now, I'm a mean jerk, so here's what I'd do if I were the DM.

"So ... the RoW gave you the ability to memorize X additional spells per day. You lost the additional space in your mind when you took off the RoW, so I'm going to treat this as an attack of amnesia. You memorize Y + X spells , for a total of Z. So you should forget Z / Z - Y spells. That works out to a percentage A% chance (say 25%).

Roll a D20 for each of your memorized spells. For every spell you roll a 5 or less, take it off your list of prepared/memorized for the day."

Rationale: Taking off a ring of wizardry should have some negative effect, so I would houserule that, since putting on the ring gives you additional spells, taking it off takes spells away. And since I don't want to give the user the ability to choose which spells they forget (I smell an exploit somehow), we'll make the spell loss random.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 07:25 AM
Now, I'm a mean jerk, so here's what I'd do if I were the DM.

"So ... the RoW gave you the ability to memorize X additional spells per day. You lost the additional space in your mind when you took off the RoW, so I'm going to treat this as an attack of amnesia. You memorize Y + X spells , for a total of Z. So you should forget Z / Z - Y spells. That works out to a percentage A% chance (say 25%).

Roll a D20 for each of your memorized spells. For every spell you roll a 5 or less, take it off your list of prepared/memorized for the day."

Rationale: Taking off a ring of wizardry should have some negative effect, so I would houserule that, since putting on the ring gives you additional spells, taking it off takes spells away. And since I don't want to give the user the ability to choose which spells they forget (I smell an exploit somehow), we'll make the spell loss random.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
If you know that will happen (and a wizard would well know this), you simple dissapate spells that is over your non-ring limit (something that wizard would also know).

However, being a bastard myself at times, I am intrigued by the possibilities of accidental or forced removal of said item.

Your system, if I read it right (and it ain't easy) takes the

Total spellslot (your own + ring)
--------------------------------- = chance to lose spells remaining
Natural spellslots (without ring)

Or in numbers
10 / 5 = 2 = 200 % (for 5 natural spellslots with the ring doubles)

Intrestingly enough this holds true (50% chance according to the formula) regardless of how many slots you have, or have spent since it can be summarised into the formula 2x / x = 2

Obviously I misread / misunderstood you, because it doesnt make sense to always have a 200 % chance to lose each spell once you take off a RoW.

Now that I got the Bastard out of my system, I think what you ment was something like spells that don't "fit" without the ring can overcharge the wizards brain and would aside from winking out also have a chance to cause damage to the other memorised spells.

X = the amount of spells that do not fit anymore
Y = the amount of spellslots "naturally".

(Y-X)
------ = a percentage between 100% (for when X is 0) and 0 (when X = Y)
Y

This is then the chance you get to KEEP your spells at that spell level (alittle harsh to lose all spells in every spell level). So when X is 0 (no extra spells) you keep 100% of your spells and when you remove the ring when at full capacity (4 natural spell slots + 4 from the RoW) you have 0 % of keeping the natural spells.
Even if you pass the roll, you cannot keep more then your Natural spellslots.

I would probelbly take the easy way out and slap the Wizard with some ability damage to int at oh letsay Spelllevel + 1 /spell lost
So a RoW -3 that is removed from a wizard with 2 more stored spells then he normally can handle would brain himself for 3 + 2 Int damage.

Fixer
2008-03-27, 07:38 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm

I point your attention to one line at the bottom that (I am afraid) blows a hole in the arguments of Chosen_of_Vecna.

Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it. Certain other events, such as the effects of magic items or special attacks from monsters, can wipe a prepared spell from a character’s mind.

CoV's argument that it is not possible to remove a spell from a caster's mind without casting it cannot be true due to this statement saying specifically that the effects of magic items can wipe a prepared spell from a character's mind.

It might be argued that that statement was intended to mean a magic item removing a spell from a caster's mind, but the difference of opinion on what may or may not have been intended by a particular statement can only be discovered by asking the individuals who made the statement (i.e. go ask Wizards).

Under these circumstances, it will remain up to the GM as to whether or not, when a Ring of Wizardry is removed, a caster loses spells memorized, spell slots available, or is simply unable to cast spells memorized when using the ring.

As a compromise proposal, I would like to recommend the following:
If the ring (or other spell slot boosting item) is physically removed from the spellcaster, either through force, desire, or destruction, those spell slots vanish and the spells prepared within them vanish as well as the caster's mind is unable to keep those spell patterns any longer. The wizard may choose which spells to retain (to the maximum normally allowed to retain) as the magic attempts to flee his mind.
If the ring (or other spell slot boosting item) is magically suppressed, by either a dispel magic, anti-magic field, or other similar effect, those spell slots are temporarily made unavailable to the wizard. They are not lost, they are simply inaccessable for the duration of the suppression. The wizard may select which spells he retains to cast. This represents the magic still being in existence but also being unable to be accessed.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 08:05 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm

I point your attention to one line at the bottom that (I am afraid) blows a hole in the arguments of Chosen_of_Vecna.

CoV's argument that it is not possible to remove a spell from a caster's mind without casting it cannot be true due to this statement saying specifically that the effects of magic items can wipe a prepared spell from a character's mind.
Yeah I read that too, but I didn't mention it cause then someone would ask me what those effects are and I have no idea of any (any RAW examples anyway). Apparantly death does clear it off, but only until raised or ressed (!). I guess that prevents a Wizard from casting spells when he is dead... not that it has stopped any undead casters.

The rest of your post is spot on, since it agrees with my views :)

Renx
2008-03-27, 08:26 AM
Simple. It takes a day for the effects to work, so it takes a day for them to wear off. That's just me, though.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know where in the PHB it says that Wizards can ditch spells memorized spend another 15 minutes to memorize something else? It'd kind of defeat the purpose of leaving spell slots open, but cool if it can work.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 09:56 AM
Simple. It takes a day for the effects to work, so it takes a day for them to wear off. That's just me, though.
But in that day, when you have the benefits of the RoW / Headband of int, but not wearing the item you can wear something that does give an immediate effect. Such as double your spells with RoW 3 & 4 the day before a duel. Then on the duel switch the rings and put on a freedom of movment ring and a ring of spell turning. Now you have the effect of 4 rings on you.

Does anyone know where in the PHB it says that Wizards can ditch spells memorized spend another 15 minutes to memorize something else? It'd kind of defeat the purpose of leaving spell slots open, but cool if it can work.
It says a Wizard can leave a slot unprepared in the morning, to fill it later in the day by studying his spellbook for 15 minutes. It specifically says you cannot drop a spell memorised and change it at a time not just after that 8 hour rest needed to memorise new spells of the day.
If you got the idea that Wizards can drop spells and re-prepare them in 15 minutes from me here, sorry. I just mentioned that a wizard can drop his / her spells harmlessly, but those emptied slots are not refillable until after rest.

Go to the below link and scroll down to "Spell selection and Preparation"
The d20 place (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm)

JBento
2008-03-27, 10:08 AM
An interesting question... Here's how I'd handle it (and, hey, it's even half-RAW, I think :smallsmile: )

Rules say you can only BENEFIT, not WEAR, 2 rings (or 1 headband, or whatever) at a time.

Wizard gets up in the morning with RoWs.
Wizard memorises spells according to RoWs extra slots.
Wizard takes off RoWs, gets dispel magic on RoWs, walks into AMF, retains RoW-granted spells.
Wizard puts on Ring of Thingamajiggering.
Ring of Thingamajiggering doesn't thingamajig because the Wizard is STILL benefitting from RoWs.

What y'all think?

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 10:25 AM
An interesting question... Here's how I'd handle it (and, hey, it's even half-RAW, I think :smallsmile: )

Rules say you can only BENEFIT, not WEAR, 2 rings (or 1 headband, or whatever) at a time.

Wizard takes off RoWs, gets dispel magic on RoWs, walks into AMF, retains RoW-granted spells.
Ring of Thingamajiggering doesn't thingamajig because the Wizard is STILL benefitting from RoWs.

What y'all think?
That is one way to deal with it. But when he casts a spell or two, and he is down to his "normal" amount of possible spellslots, the benefit from the RoW is gone. Does that mean the RoThingamajiggering activates ?
Can he drop the first ring's effect and immediatly pick up the effect from the 3rd ring ?

Benefit from rings problebly ment that you can wear a ring on every finger (maybe not all of the rings magical), but only get magical effects from two of them.
That does raise the question though... can you wear 3 magical rings and switch between them as needed ?
Incoming spell - activate the Ring of Spellturning I am wearing.
In melee - Ring of defense is now active
That wizard is casting solid fog (spellcraft check) - I'll have my Freedom of Movment ring active now and let the spellturning ring rest.

Sane DM's would release the falling rocks though if we interpret RAW as you did, it would be legal. (and lethal)

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-03-27, 10:27 AM

What y'all think?

I'd say this is both logical and fair, in short it's the best answer so far.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 10:30 AM
Well, I knew there's *some* use for the quickdraw feat...

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 10:36 AM
I'd say this is both logical and fair, in short it's the best answer so far.
I disagree. I think my way is the best way if not darn near the only way.
I am shocked and appalled noone sees my genius.

Well not really, but I do think my way makes most sense. :smallsmile:
Wear the ring and get the benefits it provides for as long as you wear it. Remove it and it is lost. Just like all other rings or even armours.
Just because I was wearing platemail an hour ago does not mean I am still protected by it.
I had a ring of protection from fire the whole day yesterday, that doesn't stick.

Cant really see why RoW or HoI would be different. *shrug*

JBento
2008-03-27, 10:38 AM
That is one way to deal with it. But when he casts a spell or two, and he is down to his "normal" amount of possible spellslots, the benefit from the RoW is gone. Does that mean the RoThingamajiggering activates ?
Can he drop the first ring's effect and immediatly pick up the effect from the 3rd ring ?

Ah-ha, but you see, he's STILL benefitting from the RoWs which let you prepare more spells per day. Well, he prepared more spells that day, didn't he? He's still benefitting from them and therefore, no thingamajigging from the new ring.

Benefit from rings problebly ment that you can wear a ring on every finger (maybe not all of the rings magical), but only get magical effects from two of them.
That does raise the question though... can you wear 3 magical rings and switch between them as needed ?
That wizard is casting solid fog (spellcraft check) - I'll have my Freedom of Movment ring active now and let the spellturning ring rest.

Sane DM's would release the falling rocks though if we interpret RAW as you did, it would be legal. (and lethal)

I believe you CAN wear all the rings you want. However, I'd rule that it takes 1 standard action to switch active rings (as it does to activate any non-use-activated magic item) - though if one of the rings you deactivated has an effect that's still going (e.g., you just deactivated the Ring of Thingamabobbing For 3 Rounds that you activated last round), one of the new rings is STILL not functioning.

Also, now I want to create a Ring of Thingamajiggering and a Ring of Thingamabobbing... hmmm... a Ring of Prestidigitation by any other name, you'd think?

JBento
2008-03-27, 10:43 AM
Khanderas, a question (because I'm as lost as RAW goes as apparently everyone and I'm still evaluating options on potential rulings):

Consider a Ring of Wall of Force 1/day.
Consider, too, that the Wizard uses the ring's ability, and, on the next round, takes off the ring.
What happens to the WoF? The Wizard is no longer wearing the ring - should the WoF disappear because the Wizard no longer benefits from the magic item?

Bandededed
2008-03-27, 10:54 AM
Khanderas, a question (because I'm as lost as RAW goes as apparently everyone and I'm still evaluating options on potential rulings):

Consider, too, that the Wizard uses the ring's ability, and, on the next round, takes off the ring.
What happens to the WoF? The Wizard is no longer wearing the ring - should the WoF disappear because the Wizard no longer benefits from the magic item?

I'm not Khanderas, but I think I know. The ring would create a Wall of Force that lasts x rounds once per day, correct?

Once you have activated the ring (created the WoF), the magic in the ring is what is supporting the WoF. Thus, taking off the ring (essentially deactivating the ring) would rob the WoF of it's magical support and cause it to dissipate.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-03-27, 10:55 AM

I'll try to explain it to you.
When you cast "a spell or two" you've still benefit from the RoW because you prepared a spell extra this morning, the casting has no effect on it.

The second example would take a bit more trouble then you described and would be considered munchkinnery but is possible, you'll have to use a move(?) action to remove a ring from one of your fingers and then the next one start taking effect, assuming the ring was not a used "uses per day" ring.
It's a little counter-intuitive, but that's because the two rings rule is balancing rule without in game explanation.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 11:25 AM
My point, was that if the spells were still there if you removed your ring and put it back on, what would stop you from getting the benefit from all rings at once (1, 2, 3 and 4) if all you have to do is put a ring back on your finger to "recharge" your doubled spells. That would change the RoW to rings of multiple spell storing's and as far as I know, that is alittle too much fun, not to mention the possibility to benefit from 4 rings at once (plus two more rings you keep on, for when you dont recharge spells).

Please read the Ring of Wizardry description. It is physically impossible to buy a ring that doubles fourth level spells but not 3rd, 2nd, and 1st.

If you have a Ring of Wizardry IV then any other Rings of Wizardry you possess are huge wastes of money since they provide you with no benefit that the first one doesn't provide.

A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 1st level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 2nd level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 3rd level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 4th level spells.

Now do you see why trading out rings to benefit from four rings of Wizardry is not something I am worried about?

Cuddly
2008-03-27, 11:36 AM
CoV, I think you should read what the ring actually does before you continue posting:

Wizardry

This special ring comes in four kinds (ring of wizardry I, ring of wizardry II, ring of wizardry III, and ring of wizardry IV), all of them useful only to arcane spellcasters. The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level. A ring of wizardry I doubles 1st-level spells, a ring of wizardry II doubles 2nd-level spells, a ring of wizardry III doubles 3rd-level spells, and a ring of wizardry IV doubles 4th-level spells. Bonus spells from high ability scores or school specialization are not doubled.

Moderate (wizardry I) or strong (wizardry II-IV) (no school); CL 11th (I), 14th (II), 17th (III), 20th (IV); Forge Ring, limited wish; Price 20,000 gp (I), 40,000 gp (II), 70,000 gp (III), 100,000 gp (IV).

Looks to me it only doubles 4th level spells, unless you wanted to fill your 4th level slots with 1st level spells.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 11:41 AM

*Puffs an imaginary pipe*
Yes, intresting conundrum... I would say that the wall loses its foundations and dissapates. The ring is the tool that keeps the wall in existence, but it has no mind nor will of its own and disconnected from such it becomes inert.
I realise that comparing this to say, a scroll of WoF, where the scroll is irrevocably destroyed by casting but lasts the duration nonetheless may seem inconsistent with my previous statments, but as 'they' say... A wizard did it.
And the wizard who made it would problebly not have chosen to make it a ring if he expected the need to drop said wall making item after casting.
*puffs more on the imaginary pipe*

Letsee next letter from Fenix_of_Doom, he writes:

I'll try to explain it to you.
When you cast "a spell or two" you've still benefit from the RoW because you prepared a spell extra this morning, the casting has no effect on it.
Fair enough my good lad. fair enough. *puff*
I can see your point and indeed the advantage has been given since the spells spent were taken from the bonus spell slots the ring offers.
I would like to reiterate that de facto, excluding continous durations still in effect from said spent spells, there is no advantage in holding a spent spell slot and the benefit, objectivly speaking, is lost. But to prevent crunch abuse this is certainly a valid option, one I did not see until explained.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 11:43 AM
If RoW really worked like that, I'd buy one definitely. As it is, I'll take 4 pearls of powers please!

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 12:04 PM
Please read the Ring of Wizardry description. It is physically impossible to buy a ring that doubles fourth level spells but not 3rd, 2nd, and 1st.

If you have a Ring of Wizardry IV then any other Rings of Wizardry you possess are huge wastes of money since they provide you with no benefit that the first one doesn't provide.

A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 1st level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 2nd level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 3rd level spells.
A Ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 4th level spells.

Now do you see why trading out rings to benefit from four rings of Wizardry is not something I am worried about?
Nothing is physically impossible in a game that is in no way physical.
I did read the description after you corrected me first, I did mention I read it and that I saw there is no RAW RoW 5 or 6. Still dont make it physically impossible mind you in a game I can homebrew whatever I want.

Now I know what you attempted to correct me on so I can reply / defend myself now (even though cuddly did an excellent job and quicker).

A ring of Wizardry IV doubles your 4th level spells. Thats it.
{table="head"]Spell levels | lv 0 | lv 1 | lv 2 | lv 3 | lv 4
Without RoW:4| 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
With RoW:4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 8
Not Correct| 8 | 8 | 8 | 8 | 8[/table]

Now to be fair, you can use a level 4 slot to put any spell of lower level, even without metamagic, but it is not the same thing as saying a RoW 4 includes the RoW 1, 2 and 3 plus more.

Burley
2008-03-27, 12:06 PM
This is such a simple problem...it's sorta ridiculous.
When a wizard prepares, the player of said wizard decides which preparation slots are from his innate capabilities and which are granted from the magic item, be it the RoW or an INT bumping item. He must list the spells for each and make sure the DM is clear on which spells are prepared into each set (which the DM should check on anyways, to keep munchkins at bay).
If the item is suppressed, removed, broken, or anything else that causes the item to cease to be a magical item on the wizard's person, all spell prepared into the slots granted by the item are wiped from the wizard's mind.
If the item is reactivated or donned again, any slots, previously unused since the wizard's last preparation, are granted by the item are regained, though as blank slots. These blank slots may be filled with 15 minutes of study, as normally filling blank slots.
Any slots already used since the wizard's last preparation are unusable until the wizard rests for eight hours.

I think that's pretty fair.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 12:15 PM
This is such a simple problem...it's sorta ridiculous.
When a wizard prepares, the player of said wizard decides which preparation slots are from his innate capabilities and which are granted from the magic item, be it the RoW or an INT bumping item. He must list the spells for each and make sure the DM is clear on which spells are prepared into each set (which the DM should check on anyways, to keep munchkins at bay).
If the item is suppressed, removed, broken, or anything else that causes the item to cease to be a magical item on the wizard's person, all spell prepared into the slots granted by the item are wiped from the wizard's mind.
If the item is reactivated or donned again, any slots, previously unused since the wizard's last preparation, are granted by the item are regained, though as blank slots. These blank slots may be filled with 15 minutes of study, as normally filling blank slots.
Any slots already used since the wizard's last preparation are unusable until the wizard rests for eight hours.

I think that's pretty fair.

So fill those slots with spells you may or may not cast, and take them off and re-preprare as needed? Sweet.

By the way, RoW doesn't double spells granted by Specialization or bonus spells from High Int, so it would only be 8 level 1 slots max + specialization + bonus.

Khanderas
2008-03-27, 12:39 PM
So fill those slots with spells you may or may not cast, and take them off and re-preprare as needed? Sweet.

By the way, RoW doesn't double spells granted by Specialization or bonus spells from High Int, so it would only be 8 level 1 slots max + specialization + bonus.
Yeah, alittle too nice I feel. You can't drop a memorised spell and retrain that slot even on normal spellslots without an 8 hour rest.
This would elevate a RoW ring to 4 free scrolls per day, no XP cost, no Gold cost, no 1 day to create, with the not so stunning drawback of taking 15 minutes to rememorise.
Not to mention the extra book keeping of weather you used the fireball in the mind, or the fireball in the ring (though technically no spells are stored in the ring).

Nope... I still think that removing the ring causes extra spells to drop off the preparedlist, the wizard may choose what to drop. Putting it back on, does not give the spells back, or the juice to power spells.
AMF and other supressing effects does not cause the losing of spells but extra spells are inacessable until the wizard is out of the effect.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 01:01 PM
In an AMF, the wizard can't cast anyways.

JBento
2008-03-27, 01:07 PM
But if your DM is insane you could always build a Cleric with Initiate of Mystra with a Ring of Clericry - HE could cast the spells otherwise:smallbiggrin:

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-03-27, 01:17 PM
In an AMF, the wizard can't cast anyways.

Now that's just plain untrue, you can cast just fine, it's just that most effects don't occur(there are a few specific exceptions).

Frosty
2008-03-27, 01:26 PM
Are you sure? I thought all casting was suppressed unless you're A Cheater of Mystra?

Burley
2008-03-27, 01:33 PM
How about instead of taking 15 minutes to re-prepare the unused slots you got back, you take 15 minutes to re-prepare the spells that you already had in the unused slots, and ONLY the spells you already had in there?
That way you aren't getting completely hosed by a suppression (which shouldn't hose you for a full day), but there's no way to abuse the slots, unless you decided to leave those slots free when you originally prepared?

JBento
2008-03-27, 01:55 PM
Are you sure? I thought all casting was suppressed unless you're A Cheater of Mystra?

Nope. The idiotic feat that is Initiate of Mystra lets you cast spells (and have your spells function normally) in anti-magic and dead magic zones with a caster level check (IIRC). No, it doesn't make any sense, mechanical- or fluff-wise, but there it is. As so much from Forgotten Realms, it's horrendously broken.

Also, I can't remember if it's just Cleric spells... hmm... Cleric dip and Batman is now immune to AMF? hm....

@Fenix: It's debatable. It all depend on wether your DM considers casting a spell as the spell being "used within" the AMF

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 03:10 PM

Cast Invisibility on yourself, it is suppressed until you leave, then you become invisible.

Cast Evard's Black Tentacles, then when the AMF wears off (except that EBT wears off before AMF most of the time) you have tentacles everywhere.

Cast EBT targeted outside the AMF, and tentacles spring up all over the place out there.

You can cast all sorts of spells while inside an AMF. There is a reason Wizards get AMF as a spell. It can be used as a potent defense against certain enemies if you know you are facing them.

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-27, 06:39 PM
Look at it this way... In any other ability useable x number of times per day that is enhanced by a magic item, the number of times the ability is useable that day go back to normal once the item is removed, and increases once again if the item is returned.
In addition, the number of uses used for the day count against each total... so if you can normally use the ability 4 times, but you can use it 8 times with the item, once you've used the ability 4 times and remove the item, you can't use the ability again until the item is replaced.

The only difference here is that each use of the ability can generate a different effect. To simplify bookkeeping I'd say that you keep the spells memorized, but you can only use the normal amount, unless the ring (by that I mean any ring of the same level, or any other effect that allows you to cast more spells of that level) is returned.

Aquillion
2008-03-27, 09:02 PM
Are you sure? I thought all casting was suppressed unless you're A Cheater of Mystra?Not all. And suppressed, yes; countered, no. You can still cast, but usually nothing happens:

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.
Furthermore, despite the first paragraph, it adds some exceptions further down. There are a handful of spells that specifically work in an AMF, as AMF itself notes:
Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.
Prismatic Wall/Sphere are particularly interesting, as their text reads:
A rod of cancellation or a mage’s disjunction spell destroys a prismatic wall, but an antimagic field fails to penetrate it.Note the wording -- fails to penetrate it, not fails to destroy it. That implies that if you have a prismatic wall cutting you completely off from the source of an AMF, it won't affect you. Likewise, a prismatic sphere can protect you completely -- assuming, of course, you are not the source, in which case it would merely block the AMF going out!

drengnikrafe
2008-03-27, 11:33 PM
I notice a possible problem with this "take it off, and the spells dissipate, put it back on and the slots become available" type of a thing.
You said a Ring of Cleric-ness (I forgot exactly what it was) exists, right? So I put on the ring before I sleep, prepare some healing spells. Wake up, heal the party, take off ring, wait 5 minutes, put back on ring, new spell slots. 15 minute study session, and heal the party again. Or, if Cleric Spells don't work like that, I know there's a few Arcane healing spells somewhere.

Now, what I think it all comes down to (I don't see anybody switching sides around here), since the RaW are too vague, is that you, as the DM, or your DM must decide what will happen based on what YOU think is fair. I don't see anyone giving up their side, and I don't see any truely-conclusive-beyond-even-a-shadow-of-a-doubt arguement being made, so it all comes down to how you (or your DM) decides to handle it.

Khanderas
2008-03-28, 02:15 AM
Fully agree here (that noone is likly to switch sides).

There is little to no way I can be convinced that it can be intended or should be legal to have a ring and recharge 4 spellslots by wiggling a ring and taking 15 minutes.

Spells, or the "spell energy" is not stored in the ring in any way. For that there is a seperate series of rings (Rings of Spellstoring). RoW expands your "carrying capacity" of spells, simple as that.
That means removing the ring, causes you to lose spells until you are down to your normal limit. Putting it back on do not give the slots or spells back but rather increases you capacity again (to be refilled after rest as normal).

AMF supresses magic only, not dispels, so in the very rare case it matters whatsoever (casting while in an AMF, though PrC's and feats and lucky rolls, and for some strange reason feel spells of level 4 and lower makes a difference) the extra spells might be inacessable, until the AMF is not supressing anymore, then it works normally without spell loss.

Aquillion
2008-03-28, 05:19 AM
If a wizard takes off a ring of wizardry, the extra magical energy that they crammed into their mind overloads their reduced capacity, and their head explodes in a violent magical burst that injures anyone standing too close to them.

mikethepoor
2008-03-28, 10:24 PM
I did read the description after you corrected me first, I did mention I read it and that I saw there is no RAW RoW 5 or 6.

Someone hasn't read the Epic Level Handbook, then. They have Rings of Wizardry going up to 9th level.

kme
2008-03-29, 06:36 PM
Spell Selection and Preparation

Until she prepares spells from her spellbook, the only spells a wizard has available to cast are the ones that she already had prepared from the previous day and has not yet used. During the study period, she chooses which spells to prepare. If a wizard already has spells prepared (from the previous day) that she has not cast, she can abandon some or all of them to make room for new spells.

When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. That sort of preparation requires a mind fresh from rest. Like the first session of the day, this preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if the wizard prepares more than one-quarter of her spells.
This can be interpreted in two ways. First, and more likely, is that you can only choose to leave open spell slots when you prepare for the first time that day(just after resting). In this case, you must wear the ring during preparation to benefit from it. If you later remove the ring, or it gets suppressed, you loose all bonus spells it grants .You can choose what spells to loose, but if you already casted some spells then you have to choose from unused slots first (because the ring does not store spells, it simply increases your maximum, much like HP and constitution). If you put the ring back it does not remember who wore it last time and what spells he prepared. You have to rest again to get the bonus spell slots.

Second interpretation is that you can leave open spell slots during any of you preparations. If this is the case, when ring is removed you choose what spells to loose with same restrictions as with first method and they are wiped out from your mind. When you put it back you get the bonus spell slots that you can refill if you spend 15 min. But remember that ring does not store spells, it simply increases your spells per day, and you are still limited by that total amount.
For example: if you have 5 normal spell slots (4 base +1 from int) and you pick up a RoW you will now have 9 spells total. Then, you cast 3 spells and remove the ring you will now have to choose only 2 spells to keep because you maximum is now 5. If you cast 7 spells instead of 3 and you later put the ring again, your maximum is again 9, but since you casted 7 spell this day you get only 2 spell slots that you can refill with 15 min prep.