PDA

View Full Version : Serenity: Orca Intrepid

King Tius
2008-03-27, 12:14 AM
I: A Brand New Ship, A Brand New Start

It is a bright and sunny day on Persephone (a little too warm for my tastes if you were to be asking) and the Eavesdown docks are flooded as usual. Peasants, peddlers, and policemen fill the streets as ships fill the air. Barely noticed among the busy swarm a midsized cargo freighter touches down on the docks. Though none of you may have seen it land, it flies clumsily through the air as though the person flying doesn’t really know what they’re doing. When it alights, however, it does so with the grace of a seasoned pilot behind the wheel. After the dust has settled, a door in the main hatch opens and out walks a lion of a man. A mane of yellow hair outlines a chiseled face with wild blue eyes and a grin full of large white teeth and a mustache/goatee combo (basically Robert Plant’s current look, minus being 60). The man walks out to the nearby computer terminal and spends some time typing before returning to his ship. It’s an Orca class freighter with the letters E.F.N.Y. written on the side. Orcas are a newer model and this one barely seems to have seen any space time.

Over the course of the week, you one by one find yourselves drawn to this ship, whether it be by the add in the terminal for crewmen, the need to get off this gorram dirtball, or because the captain lounging lazily in his cargo hold hawks you down. No matter the reason, you one by one approach the ship and are greeted heartily by the man stretched out in a hammock rigged to the railings of his cargo hold. His booming voice matches his built appearance. “Ni How! Looking to sail the verse a spell? I’m looking for crew and passengers before I’m off. If you’re interested, use that terminal out front. It’s got all manners of questions to be answered and forms to be filled, but it’s the only way you get to fly inside Effie here. If you’ve got any questions before you try and sign up, shoot ‘em my way.” Unless you start talking, the man leans back in his hammock and resumes his lazy crowd watching. Depending on what day you stop in at E.F.N.Y. determines how full the cargo hold is. At the beginning of the week it’s nothing special but by the end it is damn near brimming. Curious thing, given that most freelance cargo ships can’t usually find that much shipping.

Orca Class Freighter E.F.N.Y. (http://tiuseht.deviantart.com/art/002-E-F-N-Y-58637033)
E.F.N.Y. Internal Layout (http://tiuseht.deviantart.com/art/Orca-Class-Freighter-Schematic-79321460)

The order you post determines the order you first arrive at E.F.N.Y. Let the game begin!

The Crew
Rose Quentin Nepphi
Rev. Gregory Delsp The Werebear
Markus Durant Scintillatus
Kelly Tann Bushwacked
Mizuki Saito Sicarius
Dr. Alyssa Hargrave Sicarius
Zinovia Gagarin Minchandre
Leonardo Blackwell Dustfinger
Morrin Sarah Ahearne TheRiov
Michael O'Riley Horace Smith
Natalie Crowe MaximusMeridius

TheRiov
2008-03-27, 08:36 AM
Morrin slides through the ant-swarm of people with the practiced ease of a woman who knows her way through the streets. As she moves, her green eyes slide from face to face, meeting gazes with each person in her path just long enough to let them know she's not afraid to look them in the eye before she passes. Apparently in her mid 30s, she wears just a hint of street grime about her, like the badge of station of someone who's seen many a day on these same streets.

{forgive me for not typing out the accent all the time here. I'll do it at the start just for effect but I dont think I can maintain it full time}

She steps up to the captain, and speaks in her heavy Irish accent, "Ahre yeu the kaiptain of this here ship? My name is Morrin Ahearne, I spoke tew yeu before, I bahlive we had and arrangment for mhy passage? I assume yehr still agreeablle to mhy terms?"

Sicarius
2008-03-27, 09:15 AM
Dr. Hargrave

Showing up early to your first day on the job was a key way to impress your employer. And when your profession was as important as doctor, it was incredibly important to show up on time. Lives could be at stake. And of course, since this wasn't a hospital, she was likely the only one with the amount of medical training that she had. That meant no relief and an endless shift. She wouldn't have even taken the job, but the fact was, she was needed here.

Standing a slight 5' 4", her appearance dared others not to look. Her blond hair was done up in an elaborate Core world arrangement. Her thin-rimmed glasses sat on her nose just so. Her face was clean of dirt and blemishes. Her clothing was casual, no need for the scrubs and rubber gloves yet. She walked toward the E.F.N.Y. with a practiced grace.

"Good morning, Captain. I'm here and at your disposal. Might I inspect the medical facilities? I want to see the conditions with which I will be working." Her grammar was impeccable. After a discussion with the captain, she went to inspect her new operating room.

Bushwhacked
2008-03-27, 09:43 AM
A grey-haired-man in his late fourties with barcode tatoo under his left eye, barely concealed by a pair of sunglasses, leans on the terminal filling out forms and smoking for around twenty minuites. He glances up at the ship every-so-often and scrutinises it some but his gaze seems to avoid the hairy individual sitting just past the airlock staring out the the crowds of the Prescephone market.

He eventually strolls up to it, walks inside and straight up to the man with a earth-that-was celtic appearance. He removes his glasses and with graveley tones he announces "I've filled those feh feh pi goh peices of core trash for ye. Just so ye know I be applin' for the mechanic job, got me more experiance in that than you've seen sunny days boy. So are ye gonna go send someone to pick my tools up or are ye gonna make me go back and pull my gorram back out of place?"

Zoobity
2008-03-27, 10:10 AM
Alexander Lyons gentle weaves his way through the crowd, twisting his shoulders this way and that to avoid pushing or being pushed through the multitudes. When he finally arrives at the docks he pushes his constantly slipping glasses up with the full spread of his hand. His black jacket folded over his left arm, his bag slung over his right he approaches the man in the hammock. He scratches his neck beneath his collar, drawing attention the visible white strip that marks him as clergy. "I'm looking for passage to the rim worlds to visit some people who need my services. I need a sturdy ship with some quiet space and I believe you've got both. I promise you that you'll receive full pay for the lodging, if not from me than from the administration at Avignon."

Once Fr. Lyons receives clearance he drops his things off in his room before walking about the ship to get his bearings. When he hears Morrin's accent he heads towards her voice. "I wasn't aware that anyone actually spoke in that way anymore. Perhaps I could inquire as to where you're from?" He leans in the doorway of whatever room he found her in, and once again pushes up his glasses.

nepphi
2008-03-27, 10:56 AM
Sgt. Rose M. Quentin (retired) heard of the available working berths on a newly landed Orca through the cortex. Deciding one opportunity was as good as any, she filled out the application from her home terminal, then disconnected and stowed her gear in two comfortably balanced, if a bit heavy, haversacks. Stopping only long enough to settle up rent with her landlord, she headed straight over to the docks.

Once there, she spent a bit of time prowling about and looking over the ship. It didn't look too different, in theory, from the troop transports that had hauled her and the regiment all over the system. Then again, she wasn't exactly well-versed in ship operations theory. Shrugging, she headed for the captain as soon as it seemed he had some attention free.

"Captain? Rose Quentin, I believe I sent an application ahead for your perusal?"

The_Werebear
2008-03-27, 03:42 PM
Rev. Gregory Delsp

The Reverend moves through the crowd like a ship through waves. He tries to step delicately and not shove past anyone, but it doesn't come easy as a nearly seven foot tall, 350 pound man with a hellacious set of scars and a patch where a left eyeball should be. Wearing enough ammunition to fight a small brush war doesn't help either. Still, he tries. The Eavesdown docks are full of ships, and he needs to find a new one and cause as little trouble as possible. So, he moves through the crowds, leaving a wake behind him.

He pauses when he passes E.F.N.Y. A smile forms on his face, and he begins to chuckle. He drops his bag on the dirt and crosses his arms, the olive branch patterns on his brown duster to overlay. So, God's granted that we should meet again, eh? New face, same game. Hefting his bag, he steps onto the cargo ramp and flags down the man inside. I don't suppose you have some room on your boat? Because I do believe I've got to tag along with you. Y'see, when I was young and fresh and looking to go off to semenary, my first ride was on a ship named 'Neffy.' And when I went to war, the ship that took me to my first assignment was 'Fenny.' And now, I'm old and crusty and looking to go out and just find my piece in the 'Verse, and I run into 'Effny.' I do believe I've got to ship out with you now. I can pull my weight. I'm a man of God and a man of War, and I can help you if you run into trouble with either.

Dustfinger
2008-03-27, 04:17 PM
Leonardo

A small portly man walks through the crowd. As he reaches the other side he leans over, slightly out of breath. He looks at all the cargo that almost fills the ship and yells,

Hey, did my last shipment of food come in? Oh, there is is nevermind. Would someone be willing to take this into the kitchen when you get the chance? Thanks in advance.

He then walks out of the cargo bay into the kitchen and starts preparing a "New Start" meal.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Add that all up and thats how good the meal is

Minchandre
2008-03-27, 09:47 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya squinted her eyes against the sun as she lifted her shades to get a better look at the ship. Really, though, the squinting was more her own fault than the sun's: last night's liaison had been a little more...enthusiastic than anticipated, and she'd gotten just about two hours of sleep the previous night. Military training a few years in the war meant that she was firing on all turbines despite the lack, but even with the help of four cups of coffee, she still couldn't get her goddamn pupils to contract like they should.

The ship herself was a real beauty. New, well maintained: any pilot's dream. And if she didn't exactly look graceful, well, no freighter really did, and Zinya's practiced eyes could spot the poise and elegance that lay under the bulky, practical exterior.

Zinya chastised herself, Look at me, poring over the ship as though I had some kind of choice. While there was, strictly speaking, a choice, it wasn't any sort of real one: Zinya had been planet bound for nearly a month following a disagreement with her previous employer involving employee "perks", and even though she was good on credits, she was desperate to get her feet of the filth ground-pounders called the earth and back on some proper deck plating, with nothing between her and the Black but a few feet of metal.

She approached the apparent captain and introduced herself before setting down to fill out his paperwork.

Horace Smith
2008-03-28, 08:16 AM
Michael made his way through the crowd, his eyes darting about watchful for trouble, more out of habit then any real sense of danger, it was a useful habit though.
He'd been coming down to the docks ever day this week, watching the different ships and captains, even introducing himself to a few of them, but so far they'd all been too familiar with his reputation to risk taking him on.

Today however, one of them took an interest in him, a wild lookin' guy with a grin like a line of tombstones and a ship that looks like it's just out of the plastic wrapper, flags him down and offers him a job opportunity.

Now, Mike's hurtin' for a way off this rock, but that don't mean his gonna take the first thing that comes along: Well that's very kind of you to offer sir, and I don't think I'm being immodest when I say you could probably use me, but I'd just like to get one thing straight first: I'm an honest man and I don't take kindly to those folk who make their livin' thievin' offa others and whatnot. Now if you can promise me that this operation of your's is all above board, then I'll gladly fill out your little application and sail with you to the edge of the verse and back, dohn luh mah?

TheRiov
2008-03-28, 11:06 AM
Morrin wastes little time when she comes aboard, using her early arrival as an excuse to tour all the cabins and select the best one for herself. She quickly settles in, tucking her shotgun under the bed the pistol under her pillow. Her few personal belongings she hangs up, finally she removes a metal horseshoe from her bag and affixes it over the door.

Once settled in, Morrin begins to explore the ship, taking advantage of the as yet-non-existant crewto go places she shouldn't necessarly be, trying to get a feel for the vessel, its ins and outs, hiding places before heading to the cargo bays and taking a mental inventory of the cargo, even going so far as to knock on crates and peek in anything unsealed.

MaximusMeridius
2008-03-28, 11:56 AM
A small girl with blond hair carrying a big duffel bag of stuff, slowly makes her way up to the open doors. She is wearing a in a long trench coat and a cowboy hat, and can’t be more than 5 feet tall or 100 lbs. “Heard you got yourself a need for some helping hands. At least that’s what the ad said. Of course, the specifics of the types of jobs that were going to be performed weren’t exactly clear. Care to elaborate?” After the likely explanation of simply protecting cargo, the girl replies, “Sounds easy nuff. I could use a nice relaxing break.” She then plants the bag on the ground and extends her hand, before saying “Natalie Crowe. Nice to meet you.”

After filling out all the paperwork necessary, she asks where she will be staying and then makes her way to her room. She slowly unpacks her things and tries to make the room her own, but soon heads out with the job half finished, deciding to familiarize herself with the layout of the ship first. If she runs into anyone, she greets then with a warm welcome and introduces herself in a similar manner to the captain.

Scintillatus
2008-03-28, 09:53 PM
Markus glances around the dock. Same old traders, same old beaten up ships. A few new dents, here and there - a few of the ships shined up a bit. But there was no disguising it, the pace had been slow recently. No new prospects, no new adventures, no new jobs...

Markus catches a look at the EFNY, and whistles.

"This is new, all right."

He strides over lazily, and begins to inspect the terminal, paying little attention to the potential crew and passengers milling about outside. After a few moments pushing buttons, he lets out a satisfied chuckle.

"Orca-Class freighter? In bloody good nick, by the look of it. Very promising. Very promising."

The man leans against the terminal idly, waiting for the captain to react to the thronging crowd gathering around the ship.

Bushwhacked
2008-03-28, 09:56 PM
In the early afternoon, midweek, the scent of tabacco smoke and engine greese start drifting down into the kitchen from the engine room. Anyone walking in would see Kelly stripped down to his jeans, vest and his glasses on his back under the engine. The room itself looking a complete state, the floor littered with tools, parts and half the panels about the walls hanging open with wires trailing and hanging everywhere.

He moved into his room earlier that day, taking his time to hide his less than legal posessions not being sure how his crewmates would react. After getting his room sorted he pretty much went straight on up to the engine room and started tinkering thinking "I'll be on this boat some time. Aint no time like the present to be getting to know her".

And so he's stripping the engine, clening it up and putting it back, checking the connections and generally making sure of the captains claim of how healthy lil' Effny actually is. Across the ship lights flicker for a moment before failing entirely and alongside them most of the ships controlls, sensors and screens. Backup lights flicker on a second later but neither the darkness nor the gloom seem to peturb Kelly and he keeps banging away back there.

Sicarius
2008-03-29, 10:51 AM
Dr. Hargrave

For her part, Dr. Hargrave moved in slowly. It wasn't that she was moving slowly, but that she had a lot of things to move. Much of it was clothing for a variety of occasions, if they happened to be Core World functions, or Core World casual wear, or Core World etc. She also had a variety of interesting and exciting gadgets, which she took down to the medical facilities. She wasn't used to working in such cramped conditions, but she would have to make do. The smile never left her face. This was good work.

When she finishes moving into her quarters, the most striking things of note are the pictures. She has multiple pictures of men and women, usually taken with her in some stage of her life. Careful analysis would reveal similar facial features enough to warrant an educated guess that they are her family members. She also keeps 2 crates of fine wine in her room, tucked in a corner. Anyone who took a before-and-after picture of the medical facilities would be surprised to see some interesting Newtech devices currently occupying places, and databooks littering the shelves.

Throughout the course of the week, she tries to get used to the cramped conditions of living on a boat. It's obvious she sleeps poorly and feels slight muscle cramps, evidence of a person who was not used to ladders.

If approached, she is friendly and talkative, and asks a lot of questions.

King Tius
2008-03-29, 04:04 PM
II Gettin' Settled

OOG: Alright, I’d like everyone to subscribe to this post if you haven’t already done so. I’d like to pick up the pace now that everyone knows it’s opened. Also, at the beginning of your post, please have your character’s name bolded at the top (like half of you have already done). It makes my life easier. Finally, make sure to read (at least) the dialogue of the posts before you to make sure you don’t miss people talking to you.

Morrin
“We’ll goodmornin’ Freckles. Oh right, you’re the dealer who contacted me before I even broke atmo. Sweety, for a fifth of those 10,000 credits worth of guns you can stay on my boat long as you like. Only thing is, I gotta know whereabouts they are. Now you don’t need to go lead me to ‘em, but I’d at least like to know what part of town they’re hidden in and what you want to do about ‘em before you go selling ‘em. Since you’re paying so nice, you get to stay in the passanger’s berthing. They’re down the stairs from the kitchen and a mite bigger than the crew’s stows.”

Later when you start knocking and looking inside of cargo, the captain turns around in his hammock and hollers. “What you about? Didn’t anyone teach you not to fiddle with what ain’t yours? I’m being paid good money to fly this bulk and some people like a little discretion in their shipping.”

Dr. Hargrave
The man hoists himself out of his hammock when the doctor approaches. Apparently the man can recognize class when it walks his way. “It is a pleasure to have you aboard my vessel, Doctor. The medical bay is located upstairs just aft of the cockpit. I hope you find the place to your liking. To be honest, I don’t know if the bay has been used since this ship was built. Some things may still be in the wrapping, so to speak. The crew quarters are found by ladders in the kitchen. Please make yourself at home and welcome aboard.” The doctor finds that the medical facilities are well stocked and clean, though a thin layer of dust has settled from being unused. The supplies are the standard out-of-dry-dock lot but are more than adequate.

Kelly
Smiling widely at Kelly’s gruff introduction, the man smiles and replies “I’d send someone to grab your tools if I had anyone to send. You’re the first set of rocks to walk through my doors. You’re welcome to ask the doc to help you move, but I don’t think she’s much for liftin’. How far away are your tools? You’re welcome to take the ATV to go get ‘em or wait till more crew sign on to help you. Crew quarters are above the kitchen. Welcome aboard.

Later in the week when the power goes out the captain glances up at the lights but seems unconcerned.

Fr. Lyons
“Howdy Father, if you’re looking for a sturdy and quiet ship you’ve found her. As for hittin’ the rim, I’m sure we’ll be making a stop or two out there along the way. Effie here goes wherever the cargo needs to, so you’re likely to see a great number of places if you stay aboard. It’s standard fare to come aboard, but we can deal with that before we take off in a few days. The passenger’s quarters are below the kitchen. Welcome aboard.”

Rose
As Rose approaches the man in the hammock lets out a whistle. “Now there must be a story behind that fancy leg of yours. Yes, you’re application was all in order. Sounds like you know a little bit about most everything a man might need in a crewmate. Could sure use someone like you on board. I’m guessing from your rank and your still breathing that you’re handy with a shooter, too. That’ll more than likely come in handy as well.” He sits up in his hammock and points towards a forklift-like vehicle parked in the corner of the bay. “Since this is a cargo ship, you’ll be expected to help load and unload our goods. Ever run one of those before? There’ll be some liftin’ involved, but you look like you’ll be ok there. Crew bunks are up the ladders in the kitchen. If you’ve got problems with climbin’, we can switch things around and get you settled.”

Rev. Delsp
“Two men of God in one day? Somebody must be trying to tell me something. Glad you’ve taken a liking to Effie’s name. That’s no small number of ammo you’ve got strapped about you. They might get in the way of the cargo moving, if you take my meaning. Crew quarters are up the ladders in the Mess. Welcome aboard.”

Leonardo
The large cook finds the Captain has dosed off when he arrives. Waking with a start, he looks at Leo “What in the? Oh, it’s you.” The man jumps out of his hammock and stands up. “I didn’t quite believe it when I got your message, but here you are, the famous cook himself. Your food did just get dropped off. Tell you what, you cook for my ship and I’ll let you stay in the passenger bunks free of charge. Poke around for one of the new crewmen to help you haul this stuff up. There’s a big one with an eye patch that could probably carry you up there himself. Crew quarters are below the kitchen. I'd like a big dinner around 6:30 tomorrow to introduce everyone. Can you make us something special?”

Zinya
“I was wondering when I’d get a pilot walking through. I know enough to get Effie here and there, but I’m no throttle jockey. Effie’s pretty new and almost flies herself for the routine stuff, but you never know when you need some dashing acrobatics to keep us alive. Crew quarters are above the kitchen and I bet I don’t need to tell you where the cockpit is."

Michael
The captain clears his throat and stands up when Michael talks. “Now I like to think of myself as a straight shooting sort myself. A man can’t beat his wife and killers deserve the noose and whatnot. However, there’s a whole sea of grey in between killin’ folk for their wallets and making an extra coin or two looking the other way on shipping regulations. Now I’ve got me a shipping license and I do good work for paying customers, but if you’re going to have a problem with cargo that ain’t alliance stamped and sealed, you may not want to come aboard. I’m no thief and I don’t take kindly to being called one, but stealing from your neighbor and ducking harbormasters are different strokes in my book. You still want aboard? We’ve got two preachers on already if it helps soothe your conscience. I need honest crewmen to move the cargo and keep things smooth. You look like you can fill the nook. So what’ll it be?”

Natalie
“This is a cargo ship, not a babysitter, little one. Space is a harsh mistress and shipping ain’t all fun and games. If you think you can stick it I’ll be glad to have one cute as you aboard. Most folk don’t carry guns less they can use ‘em, so I’m willing to let you sign on as long as you can handle the work. Dinner’s at 6:30 and your bunk’s above the kitchen.”

Markus
As it gets close to dinner the Captain moves to close the cargo doors. As he does he sees Markus leaning on the terminal eyin’ him. “Well boy, if you look any longer you might as well by Effie a drink. You looking for work? Get on in here.”

During the Week
Leo cooks normal meals during the week of everyone showing up. The kitchen operates buffet style for whoever's around. The Captain grabs food and disappears during these meals. Word gets around that the first real crew meeting/meal is at 6:30 on the third day of Effie being docked. By then everyone has arrived.

At The Meeting Dinner
6:30 arrives and you make your way to the kitchen. Leo has whirled up a hell of a dinner, easily a four star meal at any core world restaurant (Dustfinger, please state what kind of food you’ll be cooking so we know what we’re eating).You take your seats at the two tables in the mess as the lion-haired man walks in. “Welcome aboard everyone. I’m Captain Alexander Nalsa and you’ve already met Effie. Before we eat I want to get a few things straight. This is my ship and you take orders from me, plain and simple. Some of you have signed on as passengers and that’s shiny. The rest of you crew will be paid weekly, provided you do your jobs. We can talk money now if it means you getting’ off this boat if the pay ain’t good enough, but it will be, don’t you worry. Eatin’ times will be worked out once we get flyin’. Now I love a full table, but I’ll not force you to eat here if it’s not your pleasure. This is a cargo ship, so I probably don’t need to explain too much what the work will be like. We pick up cargo and drop off cargo which will need movin’. There’s a lift in the cargo bay but most of you will be expected to help move unless you’re doing something more important. Now we’ve got two preachin’ types aboard, which makes no difference to me, but I don’t want any fuss about it. Father Lyons got here first, so I guess he gets to say grace tonight.” The Captain takes his seat and waits for grace to be said before diggin’ in.

OOC: An OOC thread has been created for the game. It can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4120630#post4120630).

Zoobity
2008-03-29, 08:32 PM
Fr. Lyons looks around the table, a little confused. "Uh, grace, sure, if that's alright with everyone." Assuming no one points a weapon at him (wouldn't be the first time) Fr. Lyons looks down at his lap in thought for a few moments before blessing himself and folding his hands. "Benedic, Domine, nos, et haec tua dona, quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen." When he finishes he blesses himself again. He looks up and blushes, I hope the Latin or the Christianity didn't bother anyone. It didn't even occur to me to use something a little more even keeled. I'll be sure to, next time." Looking around the table at Leo's dinner Fr. Lyons laughs, somewhat awkwardly. "Who's the chef? This looks delicious."

Bushwhacked
2008-03-29, 11:30 PM
"Ye shouldn't be so bashful Father, ye've got yer things to say so say 'em is what is what I rekon" Kelly comments with an kind small smile on his lips, "Not sayin' that I'm the christian type myself or thought 'bout religion too much in my time but I'll never be one to complain when somone says some pretty words with good intent."
He then pauses a moment and to the rest announces, "Suppose I better introduce myself eh? My names Kelly Yann, doing a bit of tinkering with machines in me dusk-days, some of ye may of heared the name before... well if thats the case its just a name."

Minchandre
2008-03-29, 11:59 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

After getting accepted to the crew

Zinya was pleased as punch that the captain seemed willing to give her the job, and was even more delighted by his laid-back attitude - he probably wouldn't micromanage her like certain past employers and COs had. Following the apparent combination interview/hiring process, she went aboard, pausing every so often to examine this or that detail of the ship. Generally satisfied by the condition of the ship, she gradually worked her way up to the crew quarters and checked to see which was closest to the cockpit. Checking to see that it was unoccupied, she climbed up and scattered whatever she had on her to "mark her territory", making a mental note to move the rest of her things in later.

That done, she eagerly slid down the ladder and made her way to her real home: the cockpit. Now, you can tell a lot about a ship's pilot from the cockpit: maybe it'll be littered with detritus, showing a pilot that's a slob; maybe it'll be so clean you could eat off the panel, betraying a pilot with a stick up her ass; maybe there might be toy dinosaurs or something similar, suggesting a pilot that's a bit touched in the head. Effie's cockpit was none of those things. It was very new looking, and dirty enough to know that people spent time in it while still being clean enough to know it wasn't a lot of time. In short, it was a room devoid of a pilot, and Zinya felt that lack singing clearly through her heart. Well, Effie she thought to herself as she stroked the controls, I'm here now, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

In the days that followed, Zinya moved her things aboard ship; some items, like her clothes and such, she stashed in her bunk, but that room was just for sleeping: her real place was in the cockpit, and she made herself at home. Her combat suit went on a rack right by the pilot's seat, against the possibility of future need; though not on display, the Alliance service patches on it are easy enough for anyone to spot. The walls went from drab metal to being covered with star charts and a manufacturer's blueprint of an Orca class craft, all covered liberally in notes written in small, precise handwriting with silver pen. Anyone acquainted with Zinya from dockside would find a powerful transformation work over her as she went from the carefree, easily-distracted flirt she was on the ground to a no-nonsense, deadly efficient pilot. In her interactions with the other crew, she's a little elusive, taking meals (and apparently sleep) in the cockpit, but she'll always be perfectly polite, if a little curt.

At the meeting dinner, Zinya listened to Nalsa's introductory spiel with good nature: simple chain of command, weekly salary, food on demand; better than anyone could ask for. The presence of the two preachers aboard made Zinya smile - the Gagarins having been avowed atheists back since before leaving Earth-That-Was. Still, if the Skipper wanted to say Grace, Grace would be said. That the Grace was Catholic, and in Latin, mattered little; one set of made-up benedictions towards an imaginary friend were much like another. Still, she didn't mind sitting a few extra minutes, smelling the food.

As Yann introduced himself, Zinya did all she could to stop herself cringing at the horribly affected accent before stepping into the fray and introducing herself next. "Well, Yann, the name game does seem like a good call at this point; I'm sure we've all met a few of our erstwhile companions, but I, at least, have hardly met them all. I'm Zinovia Gagarin, and I'll be your pilot for the next chapter of your life. I don't have much else to add, except to suggest that if I call out a take-hold during maneuvers, you should probably grab the nearest handhold. I got a taste for fancy flying in the War, and while Effny's no assault shuttle, you'd be surprised what kind of turns a good freighter can pull with a determined pilot a the wheel."

EDIT: Ninja'd, so added intro section.

Dustfinger
2008-03-30, 02:54 AM
Leonardo

Before I begin with plesantries I'll let you know whats staring back at your from your plate. This sandwich contains Wagyu beef, fresh lobe foie gras, black truffle mayonnaise, brie de meaux, rocket red pepper and mustard confit, and plum tomatoes sitting between 24-hour fermented sourdough bread. And also, once you're done, for desert, The Grand Opulence Sundae, which I designed myself. The sundae is made with five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla, covered in edible 23-karat gold leaf, drizzled with chocolate and covered with chunks of Chuao chocolate. It is suffused with candied fruits, gold dragnets, truffles, and marzipan cherries. On top you will find a glass bowl of Grand Passion Caviar, infused with passion fruit, orange and Armagnac. I hope y'all enjoy your meal.

Leonardo stands with baiting breath until the crew takes the first few bites. Then pleasantly continues,

Sorry, it's not one of my best meals. Well, I'm sure you've all probably heard of me, I'm Leonardo Blackwell. I've taken a permanent leave of absence from the spotlight of the core worlds and I'd like to talk about that life as little as possible. If you have any questions your just have to ask, then just pull me aside and ask them. But, while I'm on this ship you're all my family, and we will sit down together once a week together at the table, no exceptions. As long as that is met there will be no protien paste on this ship. Only the best of the best.

Leo then glances toward the kitchen and see's a little smoke,

Whoops! Forgot to shut the oven off, i'll be back. Enjoy!
He then calmly but swiftly walks into the kitchen and cleans up.

Sicarius
2008-03-30, 08:22 AM
Dr. Hargrave

During the introductory dinner, Dr. Hargrave dines with practiced manners. After one glance at him, she avoids looking Kelly in the eye, and when recognizing his name, she is quick to hide her wide-eyed surprise. When Zinovia and Leonardo introduce themselves she seems notably less adverse, smiling and paying attention with her eyes and her body language.

"My name is Dr. Hargrave, but please just call me Alyssa." Dr. Hargrave began, smiling widely. "After all, if we're going to be on the same vessel, we'll be seeing a lot of each other anyway. I'm the ship's doctor. Hopefully, we're not going to need me outside of just the normal check-up. If there's anything bothering you, please come and see me as soon as possible."

The_Werebear
2008-03-30, 11:26 AM
Rev. Delsp

Joining the Crew
Gregory immediately accepts the position offered and claims whatever crew cabin isn't already occupied. He sets his articles of war down with noticeable relief, and isn't seen wearing ammo or a gun, though he does keep his knife and a small hatchet on his person. For the remainder of the time before they leave the planet, he navigates the ship repeatedly until he is sure he sure of the distances involved and can move at a run through the craft without worrying about depth perception. Once that's done, he picks a quiet spot in the cargo bay and begins whittling in a deep, semi-meditative trance. If anyone looks or asks what he is making, they are tiny crosses. Makin' em helps me focus when I pray.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Yeah, 4 or 5 on that check. They are quite crude.

The one eyed Rev. enjoys his mean and listens quietly while the others introduce themselves and the meal, respectively. He bows his head for the prayer, good eye closed tightly. A trace of a frown crosses his face when Yann introduces himself, but it is no more than a trace and it fades quickly. I've heard that name before, but I can't place where. Wasn't good, wherever it was. He remains polite and neutral through Zinova's introduction and the cook's lengthy description of the meal, and chuckles at the end of it and comments quietly Even if it was your worst meal, it'd be a sight better'n protein cubes and water. After the doctor, the he speaks up next. He stands to speak, and appears slightly awkward, as if he's trying not to be so large, scarred up, and generally fierce looking.

My name is Gregory Delsp, Reverend if you feel like putting that in front of it. I'll answer the first thing on your mind first. I lost the eye and got the scars at the first day of Serenity. Second question, brown coat's the answer. I'll probably be lookin' to serve as something like security for this trip. So, um, if you need me for anything, be it related to God or guns, I'll be around.

nepphi
2008-03-30, 04:41 PM
Rose didn't, in point of fact, have any trouble negotiating her way up the ladders. Painful or not, her prosthesis was a reasonable facsimile of the human leg, even with the patently fake appearance of the thing through her shorts. She stowed her gear and got changed, immediately heading back down in her work jeans and tshirt, and set about familiarizing herself with the power lifter and the stowage arrangements in the big ship's cargo bays.

Two days later she sat down to the first communal meal with the crew. She liked meal times, particularly ones she could relax at and have a conversation over, instead of rushing through. She let the Preacher go through his rites, then laid into her meal with the enthusiasm that only gourmands, gluttons, and former soldiers can muster. When the greeting circle came round to her, she considered the reverend's words about the war, but for her part she just smiled and waved friendly like. Her service was a matter of public record, and they could find out on their own. Why ruin a good meal?

Rose Quentin. Come outta St. Albans, been here two or three months. Captain here hired me on for general purposes. And this is some damned fine eating, so I'm half tempted to give up my pay just so our cook here can stay in supply. Only half though.

Zoobity
2008-03-30, 06:13 PM
When Rev. Delsp introduces himself Fr. Lyons is caught off guard, coughing up the tail end of his last bite of bread. "Ahem, excuse me. I didn't realize that you were a man of the cloth." Fr. Lyons stands up quickly and extends his hand to the giant. "I apologize for being so presumptuous. Where did you study? We'll have to catch up after dinner." He sits back down, trying to stay out of the way as the crew gets to know one another.

The_Werebear
2008-03-31, 01:40 AM
Rev. Delsp

Oh, I went to seminary on Persephone, but I'm from Athens, originally.

Horace Smith
2008-03-31, 05:10 AM
Michael O'Riley

Getting hired
Alright, no need to get defensive, I didn't mean to imply that you were any kind of thief, it's just I've been round these docks for a fair number of years, I've met some of the honest captain's and most all the dishonest ones, and I just wanted to be sure you were one a the former rather then the later. I don't particularly owe the Alliance any real devotion, so I'm not gonna rat you out for skirtin' the rules once and a while, I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean to bring violence upon those don't deserve it. now if all that's okay with you, and I'm guessin' it is, then I think it'd be just shiny to come aboard.

Michael clams an unoccupied bunk and then spends the rest of the week exploring Effie and learning the in's and out and possible problem spots in case she ever need's defending.

At dinner Michael bows his head respectfully for The father's prayer, he raises his eyebrow a bit and shows a glimmer of recognition towards Kelly's name, but says nothing.

When the Reverend and the Father are done conversing he introduces himself
Well I guess it's my turn, my name's Michael O'Riley, you can call me Michael or Mike or even Mr.O'Riley if you're so inclined, but if you call me Mikey then we're gonna have us some words. I've lived here on Persephone my whole life and I've been a peace officer for about half that, I'm not anymore as you may have guessed, it's a long sad story I'd really rather not tell now if that's alright. It looks like I'll be joining the good Reverend in protecting you all from any who'd think to do violence upon you, so if there's anything need's to be beaten, shot or stabbed you come find me or the Rev. Hopefully we'll both have a very boring time on this ship, aside from moving heavy things about.

TheRiov
2008-03-31, 07:45 AM
Morrin is decidedly un-appologetic when the captain catches her, "Ye cannae expect a girrl tae be a wee bit cureious can ye? Afterall 'tis going to be mae home." she does an abrupt about face and returns the way she came as if she considers the matter closed.

Morrin arrives at the communal meal a few minutes behind everyone. She waits in the doorway for the aisle to clear, using the time to size up the crowd. When space clears she eases into a seat between Father & O'Riley, picking out his accent and preist's collar as the most familiar parts of the room. She eases into her seat and starts dishing out food for herself, trying to get a feel for the ebb and the flow of the conversation. "Morrin Ahearne." she finally introduces herself. She doesn't seem too inclined to add much to the conversation, though she does ask the occasional question, "So wherra are yer people from Mr. O'Riley?"

Scintillatus
2008-03-31, 10:39 AM
Markus Durant

Markus grins, stepping away from the terminal and slipping inside the ship, offering the captain his right hand, hauling his duffel bag up with his left.

"D'you think she'd be the type to follow some ruffian like me to the dance, captain? Fine ship like this deserves better than a gunslinger like me. Of course, if you're hiring those with a good head on their shoulders, a strong back, and a fast gun arm... I'd be happy to tag along and pitch in for a bit of cashy money. Getting bored with the same old jobs on this rock."

At Dinner

Markus was already in the mess, having established it as his base of operations since the beginning of his stay. While his trunk and other gear stayed up in his quarters, a battered old electric guitar lurked a distance away from the tables, and the man usually lurked around the mess and kitchen unless work called him elsewhere.

He nods at the Captain's speech, piping up briefly to state "I'm in if you pay in pennies, captain. Good honest work and a bit of travel does the body good." Markus seems casually indifferent about the former status, choice of religion or past reputation of the crew. He offers a polite and friendly nod when each person introduces themselves, keeping a smile on his face.

He introduces himself with a trademark charming grin, brushing back his wavy black hair and looking from person to person. "Markus Durant, born on Paquin. I can pilot a shuttle and make sure it won't fall out of the sky, I can patch you up if the good Doctor over there isn't at hand, I can pick things up and move 'em, and I can handle any hostile situation with either bullets or fast-talk.

In short, I'm bloody useful. 's a pleasure to meet you fine and able-bodied people."

Markus peers at the arcane arrangement of meats, vegetables and bread upon his plate, bearing an expression which crosses over from awe into lust. He focuses his attention entirely upon the meal while he eats, savoring every last bite until the plate gleams white once more.

MaximusMeridius
2008-03-31, 04:57 PM
Natalie Crowe

A smile passes over Natalie’s face. As the captain turns away from her, she says, “So what do you want me to stick?” By the time he has returned, she has one of her pistols in her right hand and has it pointed to the sky. While waiting for a response, she ***** the hammer with her thumb, and waits; almost begging the captain to challenge her ability to shoot. If he does, she does her best to not disappoint.

During her time in getting acquainted with the ship, she walks the catwalks of the cargo bays and tries to see how sturdy they are, as well as where it might be possible to set up some sort of a shooting range. While it ain’t the most common thing on a ship, setting up a bit here and there to practice with, tends to help out when needed. After viewing the cargo bay, she decides to keep her suggestions to herself for the time being, especially with the likelihood that any cargo they bring onboard has a chance of going boom.

At dinner, Natalie exclaims upon seeing the food, “Holy sweet jesus! I haven’t seen a feast like this in forever!” When it is her time to talk, she continues the introduction trend. “Guess I’m next,” with a small amount of food in her mouth. She swallows it, before continuing, “Natalie Crowe. I been around here and there of late. Mostly just trying to settle down and find something steady.” She waits for a question or two directed at her, before continuing to eat. Before she takes her next bite, she says, “And compliments to the chef,” while toasting with a fork full of food in her hand.

Horace Smith
2008-03-31, 05:42 PM
Michael O'Riley

Well Ms.Ahearne, it depends how far back you mean to go, If your goin' back to Earth-that-was I suppose I'm Irish, although my kinfolk have had a bit more trouble holdin' onto the accent then yours obviously. More recently my folks lived on Londinum, till they moved here to Persephone and had me.

So whereabouts's are you from then? If you don't mind me askin'

TheRiov
2008-04-01, 11:21 AM
Morrin makes a noncommital sound, "Sihnon." she shrugs, "But I've nae been back there since Ah left. Mae father 'n muther ahre still back there, I expect." she pauses a moment, "Lately A'hm from here, Persephone, But I've naught tae call home really. Mae meal ticket was here, so Ah stayed."
Morrin busies herself with her food.

King Tius
2008-04-02, 04:06 PM
III: A Familiar Face

Nota Bene: Just so everyone knows, I usually will not post till I have at least 9 out of 11 posts on the board. I had an exam yesterday that held me up, but in the future I’ll try and post quicker.

The Reverend
The crosses you make are simple wooden carvings that you might be able to sell at a really cheap frontier town, though they really aren’t anything special.

Dinner Et Al
Dinner finishes up uneventfully and everyone rises to go their separate ways. “No wait a second, somebody’s got to help Leo here with the dishes. C’mon now.” The Captain lifts up his plate and moves into the kitchen to start scrubbing.

The following day the captain opens the cargo doors and hops on the ATV. He picks up the intercom in the outer cargo bay and announces to the ship “Mornin’ everyone. It’s my plan to be settin’ sail today. I’ve got to run out and pick up the last member of our crew, so everyone finish up what needs doing and be ready to break atmo in about four hours time. Dong ma?” The comm clicks and the ATV revs up and drives away.

Several hours later, as everyone makes preparations, a group of men come walking into the cargo hold. Two of them are large, hulking black dudes, one is a skinny little asian guy with a goatee, one is a very fat and bald white dude, and the final is a short little irish man with a bowler hat. Those of us who have seen the show (or should I say all of us) would recognize this man as Badger. His four goons all carry weapons which they have drawn. Badger strolls right up into the cargo bay and looks around. “’allo chaps, lasses. Who’s the cap’n of this here hulker?” If anyone tries to pull a weapon, the four goons draw a bead on you as Badger tisks “now now, no need to get ‘ostile.”

Please state very explicitly in your post where you are in the ship when Badger arrives. Obviously everyone isn’t going to be hanging out in the cargo hold.

The_Werebear
2008-04-02, 08:39 PM
Rev. Delsp

The hulking Reverend is where he usually is, sitting in a quiet corner of the cargo hold carving crosses. He looks up and raises one eyebrow at the advancing intruders (one being the only number he can raise). All of his weapons save the hatchet are in his room, and he doesn't even bother to go for the small melee weapon in the face of the firepower the guards are toting.

Cap'n's out getting supplies before we go. Can we help you? He pauses his carving and flips the knife blade into the tool and puts the tool into a brown coat pocket before standing to face them. He sets his empty hands on a convenient crate, keeping both his empty hands in plain view and the olive branches on his coat visible.

Sicarius
2008-04-02, 09:51 PM
Dr. Hargrave

Dr. Hargrave is off in the medical area reading a book. Not an avid pool or poker player, she prefers to spend her off duty time reading novels about a variety of subjects, mostly mysteries. She appears happy as she turns the pages, intently poring over the words.

"Nothing beats a good mystery."

Dustfinger
2008-04-02, 09:56 PM
Leonardo

Leonardo glances around the kitchen looking for his most recent supplies and can't seem to find them.

Damn those lazy bastards, can't even help a man by carying a box. It's really not that hard, i'm just very busy.

Leo mutters to himself swinging the knife in his hand infront of him along the way until he spots the Reverand in the Cargo Bay.

Excuse me father, could you help me with these boxes... Oh um, hello, and who are you?

Leo glances at the small army and then back towards the Reverand

Friends of yours?

Minchandre
2008-04-02, 09:56 PM
OOC: Switching to present tense, as that what other folks seem to be using.

Zinovia Gagarin

Even though there are few things she'd prefer less, Zinya sticks around after dinner to help with the cleaning - a ship is like a family, and everyone has to do chores, even if they weren't technically within their duties.

The next morning, she listens eagerly to the captain's announcement, Finally we're getting off this damn rock!. Still, a last minute check over things before lift-off reveals that the cockpit is large enough for a hammock...and that this is an item that Zinya lacks. An hour's shopping fixes the problem, and she's back in the cockpit going over flight checks well before lunch. Pursuant to said flight checks, she does make a few visits to various other locations on the ship - the engine room, the engine on the exterior, the maneuvering thrusters, the sensors - but mostly stays in "her room".

She is there in the cockpit when Badger and his minions come into the cargo hold, and it actually takes quite a few minutes before she catches a glance of cargo bay camera feed and notices what's going on. When she does, her immediate instinct is to take provisional command - but events seem reasonably well in hand.

Provided everything stays shiny and peaceful, Zinya won't do anything. If something seems to be going a little south, she'll come over the god-comm and try to intimidate people into peace. If necessary, she'll reinforce that by turning on the engines, lifting off the ground a little, and possibly opening the "ventral cargo hatch" if someone's well located and it seems absolutely necessary.

The_Werebear
2008-04-02, 11:39 PM
Rev. Delsp

Never seen 'em. They wanted to see the Cap'n.

Zoobity
2008-04-03, 12:26 AM
Fr. Lyons balances the mess chair on its back legs, his feet resting on the table. He holds a small, personal net terminal on his lap, the glow of the screen casting blue light on the priest's face. Fr. Lyons replies to several letters from various Church administrators concerning his trip to the Rim. He then shuts the terminal and writes several notes ("keep detailed itinerary," etc.) in a small book before flipping the terminal up again. He loads a few ancient texts on screen and begins chipping his way through them.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-03, 07:35 AM
As per usuall since he came aboard Kelly's been busying himself around the engine room. Occasionally when he needs to strech his legs; He'll swear like bloody murder, just loud enough so those in the dining room can hear him and then storm through just to see the looks on their faces, usually ending his tirade out of the back airlock where he's found it to be quite peacfull. Whenever Zinovia sticks her head about the corner he greets her warmly enough, depending on how engrossed he is in his work at the time. Though he does smile alot when she's in and tries to crack a few jokes to keep her amused, he shrugs to himself after she leaves thinking "Jing Tian Dwohn Di, damn Cap' got us a pretty pilot"

Right a the moment badger arrived? Well Kelly's got his feet up in the dining area, preferring to relax here as the rec. room is just that little bit further from the engine room (and it doesn't have food!).

TheRiov
2008-04-03, 09:50 AM
Morrin returns from a fruitless last minute shopping trip just behind Badger and his crew. She steps up the ramp and halts, her green eyes flicking quickly between Badger & the Toughs. She keeps her hands wide and away from her hip, without actually raising them. "gonadh! Well now. This is a fine greeting t' come back to."

You guys are going to have to help me on the mechanics here, since I'm not sure which applies. Just trying to get a read on the situation here. Is he looking for trouble? or is this just Badger's way...
Alertness [roll0]
Streetwise [roll1]
Intuition [roll2]

The_Werebear
2008-04-03, 12:08 PM
Rev. Delsp

Not a problem atall Morrin, these gents were just about to explain why they're stormin' up the ramp of the ship and wavin' guns at a man of God.

If I was trying to make them feel guilty about that, what exactly would you want me to Roll, Tius? Willpower+Discipline[intimidate]/Influence doesn't have quite the right feel, but it's all I can think of.

MaximusMeridius
2008-04-03, 08:28 PM
Without even hearing the Captain’s comment, she starts cleaning her place, and then continues to clear the table to the sink.

When the announcement comes over the loudspeaker, Crowe is in her room, cleaning her guns. The entire desk area is covered in gun parts and cleaning equipment. She looks up, and smiles at it. After she has finished, she decides to head out and see what’s going on. She slowly makes her way through the ship, and arrives at the cargo hold, and sits on some of the stairs near the door. Upon hearing Badger’s request, she looks to see if anyone else answers, before she adds anything. Doing her best to keep quiet, (since she’s had some trouble before with newcomers, when she opens her mouth too much), she decides to move up to the catwalk to a different position in case she needs to get the jump on the strangers. If they comment about her movement, she takes the long route to get there, and moves as fast as she can to get to the other position, where they won’t notice her.

King Tius
2008-04-03, 11:08 PM
IV: Liftoff!

As Morrin returns one of the goons turns and points a gun at her. Wordlessly he motions for her to move around the outside of the little gang and into the cargo hold. Badger nods and looks sideways as if he’s thinking. “Not ‘ere, you say? Well then” he motions to his goons who lift their guns to be less threatening “ ’ope you don’t mind if we wait round for him to come back then?” That wasn’t so much a question as a statement. The little group begins to move into the cargo hold when a golden retriever comes trotting into the hold. Not three seconds later the ATV rumble in with the good captain on back. “What in the hells is all this?” he says as he hops off his vehicle. Looking at the foreign party and recognizing Badger, the captain crosses his arms and tilts his head back. “Old friend (a bit of sarcasm), to what do I owe this honor?” Badger turns to regard the captain and chuckles. “So this is your boat then? Thought you were just some drunk when you stumbled into my bar. Turns out you’re a down right shipping boy with a pass and all.” He starts to laugh and his goons do too. The captain remains standing with his arms crossed, eyes steeled and unblinking on the little Irishman. “Anybouts, I’ve got me a parcel here that needs deliver’n to Beaumonde and I’ve seen from your manifest that it be on your itinerary. The pay’s twice the normal fare, so we’ll split it even then since I so generously brought it to your door. What’ll it be?”

The captain looks towards the ground and thinks a moment before asking “what’s the package?” Badger replies coyly: “Now you know the rules. I haven’t laid eyes on it meself, I’ve got more important things to do. Your ship isn’t the only one going to Beaumonde, so if it tisn’t your fancy I’ll be on my way.” He turns and begins to walk out of the cargo hold before the Captain calls out. “Alright, we’ll take your cargo, but I want half the pay up front.” “Shiny. My boys will bring it right round then.” Badger nods to the Captain and walks off, goons in tow. About ten minutes later two of them return on ATV with a small suitcase sized crate. They carefully lift it up and place it in your hold. Without a word they toss the captain a bag of coins and exit the craft again. The Captain picks up the intercom and announces “Hope none of you are scared of dogs, I brought my boy back on board. His name is Achilles and he’s as friendly as they come. Zin, get us off this gorram rock.” The captain stows the comm. and begins to make his way towards the cockpit.

TheRiov
2008-04-04, 07:56 AM
Morrin calls after Badger in gaelic, "Titim gan éirí ort!" and then mutters to herself, "What's in that head? What sort of fool goes to starting a negotiation by pulling a gun." she swears under her breath in gaelic again.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-04, 03:58 PM
Oblivious to what just happened below, he hears the announcement and makes his way up to the bridge, where he smiles to Zinovia before collapsing in the co-pilots chair to watch take off. "Hope ye don't mind me watchin ye hun." He says as an informal hello. After staring out of the window for some time he chirps in with, "Just like watchin' this part, probably 'cause it give me the shivers, y'know? Big hunk of rock like that just falling away from ye... Ever get that?"

Minchandre
2008-04-04, 05:04 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya watches the proceedings a little tensely, but is happy when all ends reasonably well. The suitcase being shipped is obviously illegal, but that doesn't really bother her; it's hardly her cargo in danger of being seized as evidence.

She then listens to the Captain's announcement. Now, as things turn out, Zinya is a little...well, not afraid, but apprehensive of dogs (and, really, animals in general). Animals and Zinya just didn't really get along. Just one of those things. His other announcement was received with significantly more joy, Finally, off this gou shi planet. "This is your pilot speaking. Brace for liftoff." Just before lift-off, however, she's startled by Yann dropping himself next to her without warning. A lesser woman, who hadn't flown in a war with infantry dying in her hold and ground-pounder officers shouting in her ear, might have jogged the wheel in startlement and knocked E.F.N.Y.'s nose into the ground. Zinya just gets annoyed at the man's presumption, entering her cockpit without even knocking...before remembering the fact that she'd made a number of similar visits to his domain during flight prep came back to her. She blushes a bit at the realization, before distracting herself with flying. If Effie had come in a little clumsy, she left full of grace and certainty, displaying none of the hesitance usually apparent in a ship with a new pilot.

She doesn't immediately respond to Yann, but after a few moments says, "You can watch, I guess. Just knock next time please, eh? Damn near dropped the ship. Anyway, I never tend to wax philosophical when it comes to leaving rocks behind - I made too many lifts under fire to have any illusions about it, and if that wasn't enough, the few hundred times I've seen it sort of beat the wonder out of me. Still, I'm having to be back in the Black. Gravity's just no good for a girl, you know?" Despite her sharp words, her voice is warm, though without any of the hints of flirtation that usually manifest when she's on planet.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-04, 09:51 PM
He chuckles breifly at the joke and then mulls over the rest of whats been said. "Well I don't rightly belive that for a second, thats if ye match up to the rest o' the bunch. The Cap' took ye on as the best he could find, but if knockin is yer thing I'll do me best to oblige." He gives her a long nod which could be taken as a bow if he put a bit more effort in.
" 'sides, yer misunderstandin' me here. I'm thinkin 'bout more like bein' fascinated by summut that puts a fear in ye? It's like kiddies that can stare at spider webs, but they run a mile if ye put one of the beggers in their shoes."

Dustfinger
2008-04-04, 11:36 PM
Leonardo

Well, glad that's over, but I am quite curious about that cargo.

Leo says as Badger and his goons leave the ship.

Under the cover of night I am going to try to find out what Badger's secret cargo is. The first night we're in the black when most people are asleep i'm going to go check. If anyone spots me and asks i'll say. Oh, howdy, just streatching the legs, first night in the black after a while. Always makes my legs restless. How about you, why are ya up so late? Or something along those lines.

Sicarius
2008-04-05, 11:01 AM
Dr. Hargrave

The young doctor braced herself in her reading chair while the ship rumbled through the turbulence of the air. The first casuality was her bookmark, shaken loose from the novel she was reading and flung to the floor of medical. She was slightly miffed, but if that was the only loss, she was sure she'd pull through, somehow.

Boredom was the worst thing about space travel. After she tidied up medical to ensure everything was spic-and-span, she left and went to the common area. There were new people here, after all, and she wanted to meet them all. Anything would be better than sitting and doing nothing.

Zoobity
2008-04-05, 10:42 PM
Alex (Fr. Lyons's first name), laughs quietly to himself during the captain's announcement. Once at hearing the name of the captain's dog ("I wonder if he knows where that name came from) and once at the captain's swearing ("a change in company"). Hearing that they're about to leave, Fr. Lyons straightens out his chair and bows his head, saying a quick prayer for safe travels.

Later on, when Dr. Hargrave enters the room, he looks up at the woman. "Killing time on these trips can be painful. I don't know that we've been properly introduced. Father Alexander Lyons," he extends his hand to the doctor. "Traveled much before?"

Sicarius
2008-04-05, 11:23 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"Doctor Alyssa Hargrave." She grasped his hand warmly and shook it gently. "And truth be told, no, I haven't. I think the entire crew has travelled more than me. Oh well, we all have to start somewhere!" Alyssa answered enthusiatically. "You don't travel much when you work in a hospital. But how about you? Do you travel to other planets often?"

Minchandre
2008-04-05, 11:39 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya smiles at the compliment, though she can't quite tell if Yann is being friendly or humoring her with the second comment. Still, that's put aside with his next question, which she finds surprisingly deep. A moment's though reveals that there's no reason to assume that her crew are idiots...but the assumption was still made. After all, they were ground-pounders, right?

Still..."Well," she begins, "I definitely hear you on the 'fascinated by the scary' thing. All sorts of folks are always drawn most strongly to that which they find most distasteful. Case in point, people won't stop jabbering about Reavers." She pauses for a moment, perhaps realizing the poor taste her last comment was made in, "But still. A planet falling away beneath you? That's nothing to be afraid of, friend. That's freedom and release and homecoming, all rolled into one. Nothing good ever came of planets, and I for one am happy to be putting it behind me, where it belongs."

Zoobity
2008-04-06, 12:45 PM
"Yeah, I see quite a bit of travel. I've been out to the Rim three times before and usually end up planet hopping for close to a year before returning back here. It's tough to remain Catholic in the core worlds with the Buddhist and other Christian traditions being so ubiquitous, so most of them end up heading out to set up communities of their own. I minister to those communities. If you don't mind me asking, what causes a young doctor like you to leave a hospital job on Persephone?"

Sicarius
2008-04-06, 01:26 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"I'm not sure, because I left one on Londinum." Dr. Hargrave laughs a bit. "But people out on the Border and Rim worlds don't get nearly as good care. I can do more out here."

TheRiov
2008-04-06, 01:44 PM
Morrin moves through the ship with ease after takeoff. She invites herself into the cockpit, running her eyes over the controls then taking a moment to study the pilot. She turns to leave without offering any conversation and finds her way to the poker table. She busies herself fumbling with the cards and offering terse responses making it clear that she's not interested in anyone 'keeping her company' at the moment. She waits until Dr. Hargrave passes through on the way to the medical bay before speaking up, "Now I'd not be expectin' to see a doctor on this ship. So I've got t' be askin' myself, why would sum'un with a fancy diploma be headin' out t' the Black on a scow?"

Sicarius
2008-04-06, 05:53 PM
Dr. Hargrave

Alyssa remain unflappable. "To make a difference in people's lives." She finishes with a smile and a nod.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-06, 08:49 PM
Frowns at the words on reavers but nods along silently as the point was valid all the same.
"Oh! Did I just say that? No miss, just 'cause I aint afraid of spiders no more don't mean no longer like lookin' at their webs on a frosty mornin'. An by that I aint sayin' todays frosty neither! Just a lil' momentus, eh? First time up in lil' Effnie" He smiles. "Well, its time for me cigs, I don't wan' to be smokin yer space up, so I'll be back in mine if I'm needed." He nods and makes for the door.

Zoobity
2008-04-06, 10:24 PM
Alex smiles at Dr. Hargrave's response, "I think we'll get along just fine."

Minchandre
2008-04-07, 05:28 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

"I suppose there is something special about the first time in a ship - forgive me, I flew so many in the War, the wonder has faded.

"Also, thank you for your consideration, but should you be smoking aboard a ship at all? We all breath this air, it gets circulated around and about. It's one thing when we're on the ground and fresh air gets cycled daily, but in the black, our air supply is a limited thing, and you really ought not to be clogging her up like that. At the very least, you should ask the Skipper."

King Tius
2008-04-07, 06:05 PM
V: I smell trouble

OOG: Excellent dialogue everyone! I’m tempted not to update to let it keep going….

It is your first night aboard the E.F.N.Y. and you retire to your quarters. Zina sets the autopilot and the captain strolls about the ship, powering down some of the lights. “Goodnight everybody” he says cheerfully over the intercom before heading to his bunk in the passenger quarters. As the night wears on, Leo creeps out of his bunk and heads to the cargo bay. He is momentarily startled by Achilles who has taken to sleeping on the stairs. Making his way around the cargo bay, Leo finds Badger’s small crate tucked in the back of the main cargo bay. He examines the crate but can find no locks or hinges to try and pry open. However the crate is sealed, it seems to need some external trigger to open. Frustrated, Leo returns to his quarters to get some shut eye. Several hours later, now in the absolute dead of night (at least time wise, since, you know, it’s always night time in the black) the whole boat is awoken by the frantic barking of Achilles. As you poke your heads out from your doors and throw on your britches his alarm shifts from a bark to a yelp. You hear two such yelps before Achilles goes quiet all together. The Captain is first out of his bunk, shirtless and pumping shells into a shotgun. He looks quickly at those of you who leave your bunks and opens his mouth to speak. Before any words leave his mouth the proximity claxons go off, indicating that something has come within close range of Effie. The captain shuts his mouth and takes off at a run towards the cargo hold.

Dustfinger
2008-04-07, 07:21 PM
Leonardo

Leo struggles to stay asleep but the final yelp of the dog makes his spine quake. He gets up out of bed and grabs 2 knives from his case under his bed.

Uhg, I swear if that dogs not dead i'm doing it myself.

Leo staggers out of his bunk and goes to where he saw the dog earlier that night.

Zoobity
2008-04-07, 09:36 PM
Fr. Lyons is awoken from a dream of solid ground. He throws on his pistol holster and places his jacket over his pajamas and gun before heading down the the hold. Once he gets there he stands out of the way, not being crew and all, and tries not to get involved unless someone asks or tells him to.

Minchandre
2008-04-07, 09:37 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

After Yann left, Zinya spent the rest of the day doing "standard pilot stuff". She sat in the pilot's chair, reading books and star charts, and occasionally taking a little nap, while glancing every so often the instruments and screen. 99% of the time, a ship'll fly herself; a skilled pilot is necessary only for the brief periods of "Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die!" Thankfully, her first day aboard E.F.N.Y was devoid of such exciting events, though they did once come within 200,000 kilometers of a wandering asteroid - of which Zinya informed the Skipper with a smile, trying to earn her pay.

Somewhere around 11, Zinya began her evening exercises in the unusually spacious cockpit, and around ship's midnight she headed to shower and sleep. Despite being only half-unpacked, she felt no shyness about slumbering in an unfamiliar place, and was snoring within seconds of her head hitting the pillow.

When Achilles starts barking, she sleeps through it - military training teaches you to sleep through anything, and though Zinya was hardly infantry, shuttle bays can be as loud as you please. When the proximity alarm went off, however, she was up like and arrow, and racing through the hallways in just a rather skimpy tank-top and athletic shorts. Paying no mind to the show she may be giving and watchers, she runs on the quickest course to the cockpit, loudly cursing the distance as she goes along the catwalk. Once in the cockpit, she locks the door behind her and slams into the pilot's chair, scanning alertly. If it seems like she has a minute, she'll slip into the flight suit she's kept conveniently in the room; otherwise, she'll fly in just her skivvies.

Sicarius
2008-04-07, 11:06 PM
Dr. Hargrave

A terrible night. That's all how she could describe it, was a terrible night. Despite the soft linens that she purchased, the bed was hardly was she was used to, and the cold metal of the ground felt like an unwelcome chill against the usual warmth she was used to. Her normal bed was wider, the lap of luxury seemed far away now. Even the gentle hum of machinery stirred her whenever she tried to get some sleep. For the first time, she seriously regretted this.

Then came the barking. Alyssa loved dogs, but this...this was crazy. She whimpered to herself, forcing a pillow over her head in a vain attempt to drown out the bark. Suddenly, the alarm went off, and her whimper became a slight cry of shock. "Oh, what now?" She got up, fumbling with her glasses as she moved to the common room. Wearing a white nightgown, she seemed out of place among the group. "What's the matter?" She asked whoever happened to be close by.

Horace Smith
2008-04-08, 07:51 AM
Michael O'Riley

Michael tries to sleep through the insistent barking, but the proximity alarm dashes any hope he has of getting a decent night's sleep. Quickly pulling on some cloths and grabbing his gun, he heads out into the hallway, seeing the captain taking off towards the cargo hold he runs after him.

TheRiov
2008-04-08, 09:02 AM
Morrin rolls out of bed and sticks her head out of her dorm. "I'll be thank'n ye no' t' be crashin' us in the wee hours of the mornin'!" she calls loudly, in a sleepy, annoyed voice. She is immodestly dressed in nightgown that would probably be considered little more than a racy low-cut-minidress under other circumstances. She runs a hand through her hair and rubs her eyes before stepping fully into the corridor. "No killin' us till yae feed us some breakfast and a bit o' coffee at the verra least."

Scintillatus
2008-04-09, 04:07 PM
Markus Durant

Markus slides down the ladder from his quarters, workboots hitting the floor with a thump. He lazily scans the crew, smirking at the barely-clothed masses, and finally slips the vicious-looking pistol he was holding back into his shoulder-holster.

"You lot never been woken up by the proximity alert before? Come on, less standing around and more action. Take a leaf out of Miss Gagarin's book; let's follow the captain and see what's got him worried."

Markus takes off down the corridor at a light jog, following the Captain but careful to look ahead in case anything poses a threat to his employer.

Sicarius
2008-04-09, 10:18 PM
Dr. Hargrave

Dr. Hargrave takes a deep breath, obvious apprehension on her face. Her eyes were very active, looking from left to right. Then, it dawned on her, and she sprinted to medical, grabbed her doctor's bag in case anyone was injured, and with great trepidation, went forward to follow Markus and the Captain. "Please be nothing, please be nothing, please be nothing." She repeated to herself over and over again.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-09, 11:12 PM
Kelly sick of trying to ignore the proximity alert climbs out of his bunk, makes his way slowly down the ladder, looks about the lounge, scratches his lower back and says "Hmmm? There somthin' goin' on?"

The_Werebear
2008-04-10, 11:20 AM
Rev. Delsp

After the issue with Badger, the Reverend slowly sits back down and returns to his carving. But he casts a suspicious eye on the man's retreating back as he works.

The Gregory completely ignores the dog at first, having slept through much worse before. When the barking changes to a tone of alarm, he snaps awake, instinctively reaching for his chest to grab his cross and the side of the bed to grab his hatchet. The sound of feet moving past upstairs and the proximity alarm reinforce his worry, and muttering a prayer under his breath, he throws on his coat over his bare torso and moves out into the hallway, digging in a pocket for his eyepatch. The priest steps into line behind the doctor, grabbing her shoulder. Any idea what in blazes is goin' on to set off the dog and the proximity alert at the same time?

Sicarius
2008-04-10, 12:31 PM
Dr. Hargrave

The doctor jumps when the tall Reverend puts a hand on her shoulder, clearly on edge. "Gah!" she nearly trips and turns around wide-eyed in surprise. "D-Don't do that!" she tries to catch herself. "I don't know. The captain is finding out."

MaximusMeridius
2008-04-10, 03:49 PM
OOG: Sorry for the lack of posting. Projects and tests abound the past week.

Before going to bed, Natalie makes sure to put a gun underneath her pillow, just like always. She has seen some interesting spots to say the least, and doesn't want to be caught in them again.

Upon hearing the sounds, Natalie is immediately woken by it. She doesn't think much of the dog barking other than wishing it would just shut up so she can sleep. After it does in two barks, she becomes slightly concerned, but doesn't think anything of it until the alarm goes off. She doesn't bother putting on any extra clothing on, but goes straight for her vest of guns, and puts the silencer on two of them, having them drawn (one of them being the gun that was under her pillow), before going down the ladder into the kitchen. Upon hearing Morrin's shout, she immediately, points one of the guns at her, and glances in that direction, doing her best to sweep the room with her other gun. She gives a quick glance at Morrin, and tries to get her to shut up, before continuing on. After a few other people arrive in the room, she heads towards the general direction where the barking came from and covers the doorway. "Room is clear, no clue what's going on in there though," she whispers to everyone. Before the captain runs off, she asks where he thinks the barking is coming from, causing her to go in a different route to get to the that location, doing her best to get there quickly yet in a similar amount of time as everyone else.

The_Werebear
2008-04-10, 07:06 PM
Rev. Delsp

Sorry. He seems rather sheepish, and looks down, finally fishing the eyepatch from his pocket and covering the empty socket. Well, we best follow just in case it's something nasty.

King Tius
2008-04-10, 08:07 PM
VI: That’s not good…

The Captain replies quickly to Natalie as he takes off: “Cargo bay, sounds like. Don’t everyone come running at once.” He quickly moves down the stairs towards the catwalk with Leo, O’Riley and Markus following. Dr. Hargrave follows close behind Zinovia as she goes for the cockpit with Delsp and Natalie in tow. Zinovia locks herself in as Dr. Hargrave grabs her medical bag. The doctor, reverend, and teen gunslinger take the forward stairs down towards the cargo hold. Morrin, Kelly, and Rose stay in the mess hall, waiting.

Cockpit
Zinovia damn near falls over when she jumps into the pilot’s seat, quickly scanning the controls to see what’s inbound. The computer is picking up another vessel, smaller than E.F.N.Y. moving fast on an intercept course. As she begins to disable the autopilot and boot up auxiliary systems, the computer screens go white static and all the controls become completely non-responsive.

Cargo Hold
Approaching from the fore and aft in your two groups, you all reach the cargo hold. The main group, with the captain, steps down onto the catwalk and stop. The captain motions to keep quiet and begins to start creeping towards the stairs to the floor. Those of you who come upon the bay from the foredeck move out of the door onto the upper catwalk and see a flashing red light coming from the larger cargo hold, near the connecting door. A hissing noise can be heard as well. As the other group approaches the middle of the main hold, you too hear the hissing and see a blinking red light coming from the section of the hold where Badger’s crate was stored. Unfortunately, due to the large piles of cargo, nobody has a clear view of what is going on.

Everyone
The lump sum of you (save Zinovia) feel the engines power down and turn off, though you all reason that it is Zinovia bringing the ship to a halt. After a moment the ship’s lights cut out and the emergency lights snap on. Those in the cargo hold can see the flashing red light more clearly in the dim light. The Captain seems unswerved by these events and continues creeping forward, shotgun ready.

EDIT: Fr. Lyons is with the Captain's group, whoops

Minchandre
2008-04-10, 10:02 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

As soon as Zinya gets in the seat and sees what's going on, as she switches off the autopilot, she announces over the comm, "Skipper, this is Gagarin. We've got someone on a tight intercept. Suggest you prepare to be boarded." It is then that the controls lock up. She tries the comm again, only to find that it's non-responsive; cursing, she sets to work trying to fix the controls.

Technical Engineering + Intelligence 1d4 + 1d8 = 6 (see below)

Minchandre
2008-04-10, 10:04 PM
Let's try that again

[roll0] + [roll1]

Bushwhacked
2008-04-10, 11:16 PM
Kelly sleapily watches everyone run off and gets the hint, grabs both of his derringers and his glasses and heads right on back to the engine room. He takes a quick scan about just to make sure it all looks like he left it (which as of before take off was quite tidy as he'd finished checking the systems) and punches the comms after Zinovia's announcement just to tell her "Alright Zinya, I'm back here, just shout if yer needin' summut special."
Unfortunatly the message is cut short by the power outage and Kelly's stood there swearing into the darkness for a couple of seconds before he pulls his glasses onto his face. "Effnie! Babe! Not now..." He exclaims as he takes a more thorough look at the works, "Yer were fine, who's been messin' with yer?"

a power outage could be mech or tech so i'll roll for both, i want to spend a plot point but not sure how it works with 2 rolls (if i can do that, if not count it as one point each check and two rounds of checking?[checks tech first])
i'll let you make the rolls on this, he's looking to find out whats wrong, spending two plot points

Zoobity
2008-04-10, 11:53 PM
Alex Lyons waits for to see what the fightin' types'll do. If it looks like they're taking cover, he follows suit. If they're getting ready for out and out combat he heads back up into the quarters to keep any of the not-so-fightin' types out of the way. He looks around to the group, Forgive me, but I don't know the first thing about naval combat. Are we being boarded? Will they come out swinging?

Sicarius
2008-04-11, 12:18 AM
Dr. Hargrave

"Everything will be ok, everything will be ok." She kept telling herself over and over again. Letting someone else take the lead, she stayed back with her medical bag trying to look and see if she sees anything at all. After all, someone could be hurt.

Since she had no weapons and no idea how to use them, she looked for a place to get out of the way if anything bad happened. Her hands were on her emergency signal ring. Even though they were not in the Core, still on the Border the Alliance would be able to respond, or so she hoped.

The_Werebear
2008-04-11, 11:01 AM
Rev. Delsp

Look's like I'll be earnin' my keep earlier than I expected. He sighs. No one ever needs a preacher. He steps forward, pulling his hatchet out. Cap'n, I've only got an axe, and if'n there's somethin' nasty in there that'll cause a bit of a mess...Well, we need you more'n you need me. Mind if I step first? He drops into a combat stance and moves forward towards the case, hatchet at the ready, at least so long as the captain doesn't stop him.

nepphi
2008-04-11, 05:21 PM
Rose Quentin

The Sergeant didn't feel a particular need to ask questions, but rather just parked herself on the catwalks overlooking the cargo bay, in a position to cover either entrance with her rife.

ooc - I again apologize for being so absent until now. I was sick, and then school decided to kick me in the nuts. Back for good.

Dustfinger
2008-04-12, 09:43 AM
Leonardo

Uhg, why did it get louder!? Shut the thing off will ya! Fine i'll do it myself.

Leo swiftly moves towards Badgers crate pushing everyone and everything out of the way.

Get out of my way, a man needs his sleep and i deserve that.

MaximusMeridius
2008-04-13, 07:01 PM
Natalie slowly moves as close to Badger's package as she can, without putting herself in an situation where she is totally out in the open. She keeps one of her pistols trained on wherever she is looking, and the other directed at the door. If she hears any sound of someone who is not part of the crew, then she stops and points her guns at that area, and then at the person(s) when they come into view.

King Tius
2008-04-13, 09:38 PM
VII: Crew down, crew down!

Cockpit
Zinovia goes about trying to repair the failing computer systems but is unable to do so. From her assessment the only way she knows that might get her back into the system would be to try and cold start all the computer systems. A total reboot would temporarily shut down all of the ship’s back up functions. A blinking light on E.F.N.Y.’s side control board signals to Zin that the ventilation system have been turned on full blast, though the air scrubbers are still out.

Engine Room
Kelly runs a quick mental diagnostic of the engine and can’t find anything mechanically wrong with her. Whatever the problem is, it’s coming from the ships operational systems, not the engine itself. Kelly starts brainstorming options as the lights cut out. He could jury-rig the engine by disconnecting it from the computer systems, but that would remove throttle control from the cockpit. It would also take time.

Cargo Hold
Dr. Hargrave and Fr. Lyons both step back from their groups to let the “fightin’ types” get in first. Rose takes post up on the catwalk to try and provide cover fire. The remaining members of the two groups move towards Badger’s crate. The Captain graciously lets Delsp move forward and take point as the sneak towards the crate. As it comes into view, you see that the case has popped open and that the red flashing light is emanating from inside. You see a thin white smoke shooting from the case that quickly becomes colorless in the air. The smoke seems to be coming from some sort of compressed canisters. Achilles lies next to the crate, breathing but unmoving. All of you who moved towards the crates feel suddenly light-headed and pass out almost immediately with barely enough time to support yourselves as you fall. The doctor, father, and rose see the groups collapse one after the other in rapid succession.

OOG: Those of you who are now incapacitated may post passing out actions if you want to. I will wait till enough of those conscious to have posted before I update again.

Sicarius
2008-04-13, 09:53 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"Oh no!" Dr. Hargrave states, trying to get a better look at what actually happened. "That's some sort of agent!" Once that dawns on her, she quickly pulls her surgical mask out of her doctor's bag and slides it over her face and nose. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

Dr. Hargrave gets on the comm. "We've got a poison gas in the cargo hold. Crew down." If the Captain is still up, she asks him. "Captain, do we have hazmat suits? I want to recover those people ASAP."

Zoobity
2008-04-13, 10:31 PM
Fr. Lyons says to Dr. Hargrave hurriedly, "Give me your scissors or a scalpel or something. Now." Once he gets it he cuts the sleeve off of his jacket (a black, tight, polyester-like weave) and begins tying it about his face. "I'm going to try and drag them back. Here is what you need to do. Run upstairs, get on that crane and be ready to move it." He calls out to the ceiling of the hold, Yann, open the inner airlock door!" Fr. Lyons makes sure his makeshift mask is tight before he runs towards the box to drag back his comrades, lightest first.

Minchandre
2008-04-13, 10:42 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

After a few minutes' tinkering with the system, Zinya finds that they're locked tight. A good reboot would start 'em up again, maybe, but it's a little much to risk without direct orders. Still...There's someone out there. If I waste time asking for orders, we might all be screwed...crap, crap, crap crap crap! Her musings are interrupted when she notices the ventilation coming on to full. Huh? Why the hell would...gas!

Holding her breath, Zinya wriggles into her flight suit and resumes breathing only once the internal air supply has activated. Realizing that boarders are, at this point, a near certainty, she begins the main reboot sequence. She now has to make a decision: she can run back to her room and try to grab her guns, or she can stay where she is; after all, the door is locked tight and not much short of an arcwelder could get through. She has a duty to get ready to repel boarders, and to warn her crew mates, but a pilot's place is the cockpit. The urge to warn her crew is strong, but she figures that they ought to be noticing it anyway. Eventually, she reminds herself firmly that guns are for gropos and marines; pilots belong in the cockpit.

Reluctantly, she double checks the door lock before sitting back in the pilot's chair, rotating her attention between the "windscreen", the computer, and the door. As she listens to her breath resounding in her ears, she starts counting off powers of two in her head, a trick she once learned to help pass the time. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...1024, 2048, 4096...

EDIT: 'cause the comm system is dead.

The_Werebear
2008-04-13, 11:00 PM
Rev. Delsp

Oh hell.Gregory only manages to take two steps back before going down like a sack of bricks.

TheRiov
2008-04-13, 11:31 PM
As soon as the call on poison gas is made, Morrin draws a deep breath and holds it, making a break for the shuttles, taking advantage of her earlier tours of the ship to find her way quickly. Once there she'll attempt to seal the shuttle.

King Tius
2008-04-14, 12:29 AM
I would like to point out that the comm systems are dead, so Dr. Hargrave's message would not go out. For future reference, please try and avoid making assumptions like that in questionable situations. If the ship were operating normally, then of course the comm system would be working. However, E.F.N.Y. is running on emergency lights only right now so it isn't such an easy assumption. Feel free to post a smaller "blank tries the comm system to see if she can deliver a message" post and I will respond as to whether it works or not before another big update. The pace of this game is slow enough and I check often enough that this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks guys!

Bushwhacked
2008-04-14, 01:30 AM
"Hey!" Kelly shouts down into the lounge "You lot still standing about down there?"
If he gets a responce he goes onto explain he needs to talk to the pilot and see whats she's doing and what she knows. "So yer gonna take even places between here an the bridge got-it? An start shoutin' the messages that we shout!"

"First message: I'm gonna start 'er up, It'll take a few and it means disconnecting the main thrust from yer console and that aint gonna be pretty so just be prepared! Also; Yer know how to do a reboot right?" He listens for a moment, "I dont hear running feet! GO!"

((if no-one replies he makes for the bridge himself, if they do then he pulls his glasses on and starts work on the job))
((@ zoobity: Yann's in the engine room))

Sicarius
2008-04-14, 07:48 AM
OOC: Sorry, I should've specified. I knew the systems were out, but Dr. Hargrave IC doesn't recognize that because she's panicked. I'll be more careful.

TheRiov
2008-04-14, 08:25 AM
OOC: Looking at the map it appears that stairs lead from the hall by the mess right into the cargo bay (upper catwalk). Given the shout and flurry of activity, there dont appear to be any intervening doors shouldn't those of us in the mess at least be able to react?

Zoobity
2008-04-14, 08:37 AM
Realizing that the comm systems are down (OOC: Sorry Tius) Fr. Lyons sprints over and opens the inner airlock door himself before moving towards the box.

King Tius
2008-04-14, 04:13 PM
Riov: You're right, you could hear them if they were shouting and the mess room wasn't noisy, just like you heard Achilles.

Sicarius
2008-04-15, 08:29 AM
Dr. Hargrave

The captain must be down. With the cook, the hulking Reverend, and the sprite, that made four down. No response from anyone on the comm. Someone should've been up. Too weak to pull the people to safety herself, Dr. Hargrave tries to do an analysis of most types of knockout gases, particularly how long the average colorless can remain in the air before losing potency.

EDIT: Spending 1 plot point to bring the result to 11.

Intelligence: [roll0]
Highly Educated: [roll1]
Scientific Expertise: [roll2]

King Tius
2008-04-15, 02:19 PM
VIII: Contact!

Zinovia quickly dons her flight suit and activates the internal air supply. The small tanks on her suit will let her survive in outer space for 1 hour, so that’s how long she has before she “gets the gas.” She begins going about a master reboot, opening up control panels and wall panels to figure out where the system mainframes are kept. She loses count of her powers of two as she begins disconnecting wires and finding her way around all those gorram wires.

The Doctor pulls out her surgical mask and puts it on tight as she can. Hargrave finds the comm. dead and wracks her brain about airborne pathogens. While she can’t identify the gas purely by seeing white smoke, she knows that most knock out gases will dissipate in a few minutes, though that is in an open area. By her best guess the gas will remain in the air for a few hours at least before the scrubbers can clean it out. The average gas knocks someone out for at least an hour and the Doctor is smart enough to know that her medical mask will buy her a minute or two at best in this closed-air system.

Fr. Lyons fashions himself a makeshift mask and goes for the inner airlock door. He manages to make it and finds that the electrical controls are out but the “manual” door open button still works just fine. As the inner bay doors open the good father’s head begins to swim and he feels himself about to succumb to the quickly spreading gas.

Morrin makes a break for the shuttles and finds that all the systems of the shuttles are down, too. She manages to manually seal the door to Shuttle 1.

Since nobody responded, Kelly makes his way towards the cockpit but stops in the doorway to the mess room. Rose lies unconscious on the floor near the door to the hallway.

At this point everyone still conscious feels the ship rock slightly as the incoming vessel makes contact with Effnie. Zin has her head stuck under a terminal when the ship shakes so she doesn’t immediately see what has connected.

Down PCs: Leo, O’Riley, Markus, Delsp, Natalie, Rose

Sicarius
2008-04-15, 04:54 PM
Dr. Hargrave

Realizing she doesn't have much time, Dr. Hargrave sprints to medical to try and quickly attach herself to one of the respirators for oxygen treatment. She curses her luck when she realizes that the gas was a clear trap and she should've never left the comfort of Londinium.

TheRiov
2008-04-15, 07:52 PM
Morrin searches the the shuttle for any and all of the following:
EVA suit, breath mask, weapon (including the lead pipe or crowbar variety), tool kit, med kit, flashlight or anything of potential use.

Minchandre
2008-04-15, 08:40 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Let's see, green wire needs to be popped and routed to the red socket...

Roll: Engineering/Technical + Intelligence + 1 Plot Point: [roll0] + [roll1] + [roll2]

When she feels the shudder of a docking, she doesn't look up. Can't help it, it's out of my hands, nothing I can do.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-15, 08:43 PM
"Where in the limbo between 'carnations is everyo- oh!" He exclaims as he see's Rose. He quickly gets over to her and turns her over to see if she's shot/bleeding/still alive.

The ship then rocks a little and he frowns. "Gorram it! That was contact. I thought we had a lil' more time at least." Kelly says, notibly to himself this time whilst jumping up and making for the bridge.

((if he can see anything thats happened to rose that might make her health worse than it is now he'll try and carry her with him, if not he thinks 'Well she don't look too uncomfortable...'))

Zoobity
2008-04-17, 09:37 PM
Fr. Lyons, realizing that he's running out of time takes one final breath before sprinting for higher ground, either towards the stairs to the cats or towards the crew quarters.

King Tius
2008-04-17, 10:14 PM
IX: Knock Knock Ladies

Morrin
As she searches the shuttle, Morrin finds both a tool kit and a med kit, the former of which contains a flashlight and a nice hefty crowbar. She doesn’t find any breathing masks or EVA suits, however.

Dr. Hargrave
The Doc turns tail and rushes up to medical. Though she feels a little faint as she runs, she manages to get herself hooked up to the oxygen machine. As she inhales she takes a seat on the medical bed due to her dizziness.

Zinovia
Zin tinkers around a little more and figures out the correct sequence of flipped switches, routed wires, and buttons pressed to enable the hard restart. Unfortunately, no manner of technical expertise can speed up a computer’s rebooting on the fly. She does, however manage to start two of the rebooting server arrays simultaneously. The entire reboot process will take seven minutes, assuming she continues to reboot the remaining two mainframes.

Kelly
Rushing over to Rose’s body, Kelly quickly turns her over and finds her to be unharmed. Unfortunately Rose had just succumbed to the knock-out gas from the nearby vent which hits Kelly full force and sends him to the ground unconscious. Since he was already crouched to examine Rose, he manages to avoid collapsing on top of her.

Fr. Lyons
The good father takes off from the outer airlock doors towards the catwalk stairs. He makes it to the base of the stairs and starts to climb but the gas finally catches him and he collapses on the right staircase.

With everyone passed out and our three ladies locked away in the cockpit, medical, and the shuttle, nobody is around to see the outer airlock open. Similarly, there is nobody around to watch as five men dressed in ballistic mesh and carrying heavy assault riffles come through the door, all of them wearing gas masks. They quickly spread out through the cargo bay and assess the array of fallen bodies. The first of the three ladies to encounter them is Dr. Hargrave. As she sits in medical three of them walk in, pointing their guns right at her and shouting. “On the ground! Mask off now!” One of them nods to the other two and they leave him alone with the doctor, moving up towards the cockpit. They hit the cockpit door and find it locked. They bang on the door and shout “Open this door and we’ll let you live!” If Zin takes a peak at them, she sees that only one remains at the door while another takes off down the hallway. Morrin sits in the shuttle unaware of what is going on outside as she digs around for supplies. Nobody is conscious to see what the other two are up to.

Sicarius
2008-04-17, 10:38 PM
Dr. Hargrave

The doctor does what any normal person does when a gun is pointed at their face. She completely freezes in utter fear. No mask removal, no getting on the floor. No nothing. Absolute petrification.

Combat Paralysis [roll0]

TheRiov
2008-04-17, 10:54 PM
Finding no way to breathe, and not trusting in her knowledge of the medical kit to administer any form of stimulant to herself premptivly, Morrin settles on hiding out of sight of the viewport and making no noise.

(if the medkit contains adrenalin she'll load the syringe with that and keep it handy but wont use it. If the kit is more like a military kit with anti-chemical warfare dosage she'll double check the instructions but will have it at the ready.)

{{I'm oocly assuming this is a weaponized aerosol sedative so I should be at least able to guess as to the proper response.}}
Knowledge (Weapons)+ Intelligence[roll0] + [roll1]

King Tius
2008-04-18, 10:39 AM
OOG: I am heading to Boston this weekend and won't be able to do a "full blown" post till sunday night. I'll try and sneak on and do mini updates like this till then.

Dr. Hargrave stands in shock as the man reaches towards her and yanks her breathing mask off. He stands back to watch her and waits for the gas to knock her out.

Zinovia hears the man continue to bang on the door and shout for her to surrender. "If you don't open this gorram door, I'm gonna have to do something a might unpleasant to you once I get you out of there."

Morrin hides quietly in the shuttle. Eventually two armed men come up to check the shuttles. She hears the one enter the first shuttle and the other try her door. "What the? This shuttle's locked up." The man clicks on a radio. "Hey Bimbo, can you use that fancy transceiver of yours to open this shuttle door?"

As to the weaponized gases, Morrin knows that these airborne weapons usually target chemical receptors or act as inhibitors and are much more complicated to deal with than just oxygen treatment. If the gas isn't lethal, letting it pass through your system is the only way to treat it short of having the specific antidote.

TheRiov
2008-04-18, 11:32 AM
Realizing she's probably about to be discovered, Morrin changes tactics. She edges by the door, (on the side opposite the hinges so anyone trying to enter cannot immediatly see her from the entrance). Should someone try to enter she'll avoid breathing in, and mime a gun with the flashlight (pressing it firmly into the back of the intruder's head, so it feels like a gun), demanding that he drop the gun and remove his mask in as few words as possible, and still trying to avoid inhaling.

Minchandre
2008-04-18, 12:41 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya's initial reflex was to do nothing and continue working, feigning that she hadn't heard them. The continuing banging renders that less than possible, however. Crap. Well, let's see...if the system was up, I could turn off the gorram gravity.

Much as she hates the idea, surrender seems the prudent course of action. A brief thought of resistance disappears as she considers the fact that this man seems like a professional, and her hand-to-hand ability was always distinctly subpar. Moving slowly, she gets out from under the desk and moves towards the door. Holding her hands up and open, she unlocks the door and goes back a few steps.

Minchandre
2008-04-18, 12:43 PM
Also: rolls for when Zinya's pretending to ignore them, if there's enough time to make a roll.

Engineering (Technical) [roll0] + Intelligence [roll1]

Sicarius
2008-04-18, 01:50 PM
Dr. Hargrave

Scared and terrified for her life, Dr. Hargrave fearfully grabs and tears for the mask, fighting back tears for her desperate struggle.

King Tius
2008-04-20, 04:39 PM
Dr. Hargrave
The good doctor struggles against her assailant and manages to knock his hand away from her face mask. He quickly brings his knee into her stomach, however, and sends her to her knees, gasping for air. With a quick yank he tears the mask off her face and watches as she desperately tries to take a breath.

Zinovia
Zin wisely decides to surrender and opens the door. The man enters the room, rifle pointed directly at her. "Take that helmet off, now!" he yells through his gas mask.

Zin manages to get another two servers to start rebooting before she opens the door.

Morrin
Morrin moves into position behind the door and waits. She hears the man's radio go off from outside the shuttle. "The manual deadbolt's been thrown. I can't open it remotely. There must be someone in that shuttle." The brigand on the other side of the door responds "Well what can you do then?" The radio chirps up "I can open the emergency vents from here. It'll clear out the shuttle but we'll have to leave it here. It will take too much time to hack that door open." The man on the other side of the door waits a moment before banging on the hatch. "I know you're in there! Open this door right now or I'll vent the shuttle!"

Sicarius
2008-04-20, 06:15 PM
Dr. Hargrave

The kick sent her to the floor. She'd never been hit so hard in her life. Coughing and sputtering bile from her injured stomach, she already felt the strength leaving her body as the gas that she had already inhaled coupled with her injury and her fatigue quickly to the limit. She tried feebly one more time, fighting to the bitter end to get the gas mask, weeping in pain and fear.

Minchandre
2008-04-20, 07:57 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya keeps her hands above her head as the man comes in, making no sudden movements. When he demands she remove her helmet, she speaks, trying her best to sound convincing with an undercurrent of fear, "Sir, I am unarmed; you quite have the advantage of me. With your permission, I'd like to keep my helmet on...I swear by my ship that I will cooperate in every way, and you may bind my arms if you wish."

(Willpower + Rank) [roll0] + (Influence + Allure unless he's gay) [roll1]

King Tius
2008-04-20, 09:38 PM
Dr. Hargrave finally succumbs to the gas, kicking and sobbing and gasping for air.

In response to Zinovia's seduction the man stands up a little straighter and gives her a good look up and down. "Alright, little missy, put these handcuffs on and turn around."

Minchandre
2008-04-20, 10:01 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

I guess having one in every port paid off... Zinya reflected with an internal smile.

Giving the man a weak smile, she thanks him, being certain to let her voice crack. She then turns around slowly to allow him to handcuff her, hoping that he doesn't get to grabby, but consigning herself to the possibility. After that, she'll follow his lead meekly and obediently, giving him a sad smile every time he looks at her face.

King Tius
2008-04-21, 09:46 AM
Zin obliges and puts the handcuffs on. With a gun to her back, Zin is led down into the cargo bay towards the airlock. As she gets within sight of Badger's crate she can see the bodies of her crew passed out around the cargo bay. The gunman begins to direct her towards the airlock but grabs her by the handcuffs to stop her. Pushing Zinovia to her knees, The gunman grabs Zin's helmet and unlatches it, pulling it off her head. He stands back and chuckles as Zin passes out.

Morrin opens the door, breathes deeply and passes out like a good railroaded pc.

Hours later......
The Men of EFNY wake up with throbbing headaches in virtually the same places they passed out in. Looking around, they immediately notice that a few things are missing from EFNY, not the least of which being all the cargo in the cargo bay and all the women of the ship. Nalsa wakes up holding his head and looks around. "Where the hell is my cargo? The girls? My...my...Gorammit they took Achilles!" He tries to get to his feet but stumbles and falls to his knees. "Everyone who can hear me, search this ship for what's missing and meet me in the kitchen pronto." The first thing you immediately notice is that the weapons on your person are missing.

The Women of EFNY wake up in a pretty sticky situation. All of you are handcuffed and sitting in a prison cell, somewhere on a large ship, judging by the engine rubble. You ladies have been stripped of all your guns and techno gadgets, including a prosthetic leg. The room is fairly dark but as you look around you can see a body lumped in the corner.

Sicarius
2008-04-21, 10:22 AM
Dr. Hargrave

Waking up was a shocker. Both in the physical actuality of waking up, when she was almost certain to have been never waking up again. Looking around, she noticed some familiar faces. Zin, Morrin, Rose, and Nat were all there, handcuffed and in similar positions of uncomfortably handcuffed and thrown in the brig.

"Ooh, where am I?" Still clothed, thank God. A better analysis would have to wait. Her ring was gone, as well as her hopes of contacting the Alliance. Looking over at the body, she tried to see if whoever was still living or dead.

Intelligence [roll0]
Highly Educated [roll1]
Medical Expertise [roll2] -2 step applied for handcuffs

The_Werebear
2008-04-21, 10:54 AM
Rev. Delsp

Damnation. Delsp stands with an aching head, and upon hearing his orders from the captain begins a methodical search, starting in the pilot's chair and moving across to the engine room. He calls out the names of the girls in a repeating order. When he passes the cabins (including his own, he stops to grab his pistol and shotgun if they are still there. (The pistol was on a rack with the belt, the shotgun was in the back of his closet). If he can't find anyone in that section of the ship, he returns to the cargo hold and begins a methodical search pattern there.

Want me to do a search check. And what should I roll?

TheRiov
2008-04-21, 11:18 AM
Morrin comes to and after a few minutes of determining her surroundings she begins cursing in gaelic, loudly, flouridly and long. When she gets her mouth under control she quick makes a survey of the room. Morrin sets her jaw. She quickly goes over to the doctor and whispers in her ear. "If yae want to get out of this shut up and play along, need th' name o' a disease--highly contagious, difficult to detect, rare, long inccubation period, somethin' you can treat but need t' have me as carrier so ye' can make cure. Need Symptoms--the whole lot. Need to make 'em think I might have sumthin' so they'll no want to touch us. I'll no be made anyone's doxie agin'. Ye've all been 'exposed' now, tha's why I was in th' shuttle--quarentine... " she pauses, "that'll buy us time. If they wan'd us dead they'd a killed us, so they'll be want'n to sell us. "

Bushwhacked
2008-04-21, 03:42 PM
After he gets caught up on the gas situation and what's been taken he heads to work. First he collects his tool-belt from his room, checking his personals while he's in there and then pottering between the bridge and the engine room, getting the systems running one at a time.

It isn't until he reaches into his pocket for a smoke that he realises his two tiny pistols are missing, with that his shoulders sag and his fists clench in anger. 'Gotta thank Jerry fer makin' these glasses nice an' plain.' He thinks, 'No doubt those ruttin' theives woulda 'ad these too.'

if your happy to do rolls, i'll be happy to had it over to you. just thinking there's alot of rolls in repair and i dont want to slow it up.
first step in find out whats wrong and tell the cap., then unless he says otherwise he gets on with fixing it

Dustfinger
2008-04-21, 05:33 PM
Leonardo

Ow, my head. Girls, are you here?!

Leonardo runs to his room and looks for his case of knives. If there are any knives in the case he begins to distribute them to the men as he see's them. If not he makes his way to the kitchen and looks for knives there.

No sign of the girls cap'n. Everything has been cleared out.

King Tius
2008-04-21, 05:38 PM
Everybody: Feel free to make your own rolls on the boards. If you don't know what to roll or forget, I'll do it for you.

The_Werebear
2008-04-21, 06:50 PM
My two checks

1d6+1d6
1d6+1d8

The first is for physical clues of who took them, and the second is to reconstruct exactly what happened and sort out the motives of the kidnappers in what they took and why they left the males alive. He feels that both the girls and the cargo would be obvious enough to locate if they were still on the ship.

Minchandre
2008-04-21, 07:04 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya wakes sore and grumpy, though thankfully clothed and apparently undamaged. She looks around and sees the unfortunate situation, and notices that only the women from aboard E.F.N.Y. are there...in fact, all of the women are. The obvious conclusion is reached.

Unpleasantly, she notes that she's still cuffed. Remaining silent through Morrin and Hargrave's exchange, she sets to work slipping her cuffs.

Agility [roll0] + Mechanical Engineering [roll1]

Zoobity
2008-04-21, 09:13 PM
Fr. Lyons gets up stiffly from his sprawl on the stairs. He rubs his temples and heads up groggily to the passenger quarters, checking all the rooms as he goes. He cries out for the girls as he goes. Once he's in his own quarters he checks everything over to make sure his liturgical paraphernalia is still there. He quickly changes out of his pajamas into some street clothes and says a quick prayer for the women, wherever they may be. He puts on his glasses on his way out the door and heads to the kitchen to meet the others, quietly lamenting the loss of his pistol.

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 12:54 AM
Dr. Hargrave

"Do you really think that will work?" Alyssa whispers back. "Wouldn't they just shoot us into space and be done with us?"

TheRiov
2008-04-22, 07:38 AM
"nae if they think they've been exposed too. They'll wan' t' see if we develop symptoms, before seeking treatment themselves. If yae have t' invent somethin' then make the treatment unpleasant so they'll no want to start it early. Make sure they know its a long incubation period. Few weeks--they'll be at their destination then an' have to make a delivery. They'll no be thinking on bein' jailers long term. They put themselves out a good bit t' get us, they'll nae be in a hurry t' vent their profits."

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 12:16 PM
Dr. Hargrave

The doctor lowers her head in determination. "Alright, I'll try."

Minchandre
2008-04-22, 12:56 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya listens in on the conversation with half an ear as she works at her handcuffs. She butts in, "While the idea is sound, I'm not entirely convinced it would work - or what it would gain us. I'm hardly a doctor, but if they need a carrier to get cured - well, they'll have themselves. Plus access to a doctor that doesn't have a good motivation to kill them. More'n likely, they'll consider us a dangerous commodity and just vent us."

TheRiov
2008-04-22, 02:12 PM
"Yer no understan' me. If we tell 'em we're waitin' to find out if I'm sick, then I could hae already spread it to them an' you. If I'm no' sick then we're safe an still valuable, so they won't vent us. But they'll nae want t' sell us till they see if they too need treatment, and in case they want us for themselves, they'll no want t' lay a hand on us till then. I'm thinkin' they want t' sell us though as they've no messed us up any, nor aren' any of us in their beds now. "

Bushwhacked
2008-04-22, 02:18 PM
When Leonardo gets rounds to him and offers him a knife he waves it away explaining, "I got a rifle an' a few presents tucked away in me quarters if it should come down to violence." He pauses, "Ask about in yer travels, see if anyone else has used chem-plasts or mag charges before. I got a couple of bigger things but we sure don't wanna use them no-where near the ship."

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 02:41 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"Speak for yourself." Dr. Hargrace winced at the memory of being kicked in the stomach. "Anyway, I know that some rare conditions can be picked up on rim worlds, and we can say that her containment suit failed, so we kept her in the shuttle rather than risk contaiminating the ship. But why would they sell us? Isn't slavery illegal?"

TheRiov
2008-04-22, 03:55 PM
"Indentured servitude is legal. Can yae prove yer no one? Besides, I'd nae think these give a care for th' law."

Minchandre
2008-04-22, 07:35 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

"I remain unconvinced. Slavers are cowardly by nature, as surely as they are greedy, and I rather suspect the former outweighs the latter, especially when they seem to have such an effective system worked out...were I them, I'd space us on the chance, and grab a new batch of captives." She scowls. "Unfortunately, this is not the military, and I have no grounds to order you against your foolish action. Know this, however: while I won't tell them of your lie, neither will I go along with it. And if they try to space us, I'll sing like a canary." She turns back to her cuffs.

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 08:56 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"I'm sorry." Dr. Hargrave looked rather sheepish. "I just don't want to be a slave. I want to go home. Can you help me?"

TheRiov
2008-04-22, 09:16 PM
Morrin glares at her with contempt, "Nae, you'll just get taken to their bed and sold as a whore, and you'll condemn the lot o' us to the same fate if you'll no play along. Unless yae can be findin' us another way, you'll play along." she lowers her voice dangerously, "or you'll find yerself 'succumbing to the disease' a wee bit faster than the rest o' us. Sadly its fatal."

Minchandre
2008-04-22, 09:20 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

"Morrin's plan buys us time, but doesn't emancipate us...for that, I suspect we have only two options. Rescue, or escape. Let me tell you folks, you get me to the cockpit, and I can have us somewhere nice and safe in no time...of course, we'll probably have to kill or imprison the slavers first...though killing would definitely be the more practical of the options."

At Morrin's threats, Zinya simply looks at her and says, coolly, "I will not be threatened. Nor will I interfere with your idiotic plan until I see the airlock door. I'm not entirely certain what it gains us, but my mind would obviously fail to comprehend anything your enormous intellect can muster. After all, I'm not nearly clever enough to affect a phony accent like yours.

"Mark my words, however, once I see an airlock I'll choose slavery over a breath of vacuum."

EDIT: Adding stuff.

TheRiov
2008-04-22, 09:41 PM
{{fyi: Morrin's accent is 100% genuine. Any inconsistencies are simply my inability to type it correctly}}

"Aye it does buy us time. We're no goin' to be escapin' from here without it and we'll do better together. Unless you'd be thinkin' you'll be fightin' your way free when one of 'em's lying on top o' yae. "

"While we're here lets get some basics. Shoelaces, boots. Anything that can be used as a weapon. I'll no be defenseless."

Morrin works at trying to pass the handcuffs from behind her to in front of her.

no clue what the roll here would be. feel free to roll for her

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 10:53 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"Stop it, both of you!" Dr. Hargrave raises her voice for the first time. Instead of put her handcuffs in front of her, she instead decides to look around the hold to see if anything she can use. The body, as before, needed to be examined. And she had a slightly better twist, or so she hoped, on Morrin's idea that could perhaps buy them a little time, if be a slightly creative interpretation of her Hippocratic Oath.

King Tius
2008-04-23, 01:09 PM
Ladies
Easy girls! We’re all prisoners here!

Alyssa looks over at the body and can see that the unconscious woman is breathing, though very slowly. Zinovia is able to bend and twist herself to bring the cuffs around to her front. Without some kind of tool, however, she won’t be able to try and pick open the lock. Morrin likewise is able to bring her cuffs to the front. Rose and Annie Oakley have yet to regain consciousness. Dr. Hargrave moves over towards the body of the unconscious woman and takes a look at her. The woman is in her late forties and smells as if she’s been in this hold a good while. From her slow breathing and unresponsiveness, the good doctor determines that she is in some sort of drug-induced sleep or coma. Other than the woman and a toilet there’s nothing in the cell of note.
(Since it seems like you could use another post to get your plan together, I’ll give you some time before someone comes to visit).

Gentlemen
The ship is quickly searched and no sign of the ladies are found. Luckily enough for all of you Leo’s knives and Kelly’s tool belt didn’t get snatched. Kelly moves to the cockpit and finds the place in quite a state. Looking around, he sees that four of the five servers are up and running again while the fifth is still offline. Moving to the engine room, it is obvious that someone came in and tried to fuss about with the place and break things, though they clearly didn’t know what they were doing. After searching the ship and reconvening in the kitchen, the following list of missing items are established:

The Ladies (duh)
All guns
All foodstuffs
Most of the cargo
Both shuttles
Achilles
Spare fuel drums

The cap’n paces furiously in the kitchen as the men convene. As Leo passes out his knives, the captain stops him. “Leo, go into the pantry. Second to bottom shelf against the back wall, in the corner under one of the supports is a switch.” He then looks up to the rest of the men. “Way I see it, we’re real humped. Whoever took us was sloppy, else we wouldn’t be here conversing. If they were after EFNY or were really in the business, they’d have airlocked the lot of us or taken us all for sellin’.” Delsp cuts in “that means they’ve probably got a small crew and a small ship, seeing all the cargo isn’t gone.” “Exactly” returns Nalsa. “Whoever took us were probably scavengers that just got their hands on this fancy new box that took us out. They never could have knocked out our systems on an old hauler, so they’re probably targeting newer cargo ships and just looking for a quick score. Now, we have as I see it three options. We can go to the feds, go after them, or drop the rest of this cargo and try to get by. We lost some pretty valuable cargo, so there’ll be a high price to pay if we don’t get this lot back. Now, I’m Captain and what I say goes, but I’m willing to drop any of you that ain’t comfortable settling this score. If you want off, we’ll find a way to set you go before we find these gorram scrapers. First we gotta get EFNY running. Then we gotta find the trail before it gets too cold. We’ll need someone to get scanning and the rest of you get fixing. Head into the pantry first and get yourselves set. Get to it.”

Heading into the pantry and hitting the hidden switch, Leo finds a small secret room behind the pantry wall. Inside are several boxes labeled “emergency” and a weapon rack on the wall. Four pistols, one shotgun, one sniper rifle, and two automatic rifles sit ripe for the picking. A bandolier (I think that’s the correct term) of grenades hangs on a hook.

TheRiov
2008-04-23, 01:39 PM
Is there anything near the door about foot height to affix shoelaces to to form a tripline? or anything over the door we could suspend something from to fall when the door opens? I'm looking for something we could use to temporarily distract anyone coming in. also, how long have we been out? if its more than 4 hours or so I imagine we're hungry or thirsty, have to use the bathroom, etc. (yes, I know theres a toilet, just trying to get a time estimate)

Morrin starts getting creative. Once able to move a little more freely she moves over to the unconcious and shreds about 4 inches of length from clothing. Thin enough it could be twisted into a rope if necessary. She soaks the cloth in the toilet and wrings it out on the floor in front of the door creating a makeshift oil slick.

"Spit in it," she advises, "it'll be slicker than jus' water." she advises the other girls.

Morrin then strips the shoes or boots off anyone unconcious and trys to form a makeshift bola.

The_Werebear
2008-04-23, 02:05 PM
Rev. Delsp

Well.. Like I said, there's probably just a few of them and it took a dirty trick to catch us. I think we can take them, and I think we should. Ain't right to have people like that roamin' the verse. We can do somethin' about them, and we should. If we catch up with them, let us not strike in vengeance, but in God's justice and the protection of those who couldn't recover from a dirty trick like that. While he speaks, he checks the shotgun and gets a feel for it.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-23, 06:59 PM
"Cap., you made me one of yer crew... An now, well, those meh lien duh jyah jee's thought they could take Lil' Effnie an' every one of us fer a ride." He shakes his head slowly and says, "That aint happinin' on my shift."

When he see's what the captain has tucked away he lets out a a brief loud laugh and then goes up and gets the various explosives he has left ((if they're still there i guessed wrong on the rifle)) and dumps all the tools he owns in the centre of the kitchen floor, "Right! do what yer can lads, if there's anything yer not sure of ye ask me right?"

Horace Smith
2008-04-24, 05:27 AM
Michael O'Riley

Well I've never been one to let folks like that run free, and I'm certainly not one to leave a man behind, or women as it were.
Mike grabs a pistol from the rack and loads it. And, strangely enough, he speaks to it: Yeah..you'll do till I get my Annabell back.
He looks at the others who are no doubt bewildered at this display. What? That gun was like a sister to me! I loved it more then my first wife...especially considerin' it cheated on me less.

Anyway, Capin' if you want, I might be able to sniff out some info on our pirate friends on the police band of the cortex.

Minchandre
2008-04-24, 07:12 PM
Zinovia Gagarin

What the gorram hell is she doing? At least she's abandoned her idiotic "sick" plan. "Ahem. While I strongly appreciate the need to create little surprises for our captors - and I do - do you think we should maybe work out a few plans? I mean, simple enough if there's one guy - he comes in, hopefully trips, and then we bash his head until the brains come out...but what if there's two? Or a whole team, with rifles? Don't take me wrong, I'm not criticizing, as I like this course of action much better than the previous, but...coordination? Like, if there's two people, should we have someone stand by the door, ready to pop out and get the other man? If there are many, perhaps we should try and establish a make-shift barrier? Maybe we should wait and see what's going on before we try to kill them? So far, all we know is that they have at least three well-trained men with heavy assault rifles. A little more knowledge would not be missed. In the Fleet, we always said that anyone can act, but it takes a true tactician to wait."

Zoobity
2008-04-24, 09:31 PM
Fr. Lyons

Fr. Lyons picks up one of the pistols from the wall and checks the clip. "I suppose this will do. Captain, I will say I'm not comfortable shooting anyone, but I have shot at a few thugs in my travels." He places the pistol in the shoulder holster where he kept his other. He pushes up his glasses and looks at the crew, "That said I'm sticking around to save the women-folk, but I don't shoot at anything I don't have to, dong ma?" Fr. Lyons agrees to help whomever needs it most in the repairs of the ship.

Sicarius
2008-04-24, 10:17 PM
Dr. Hargrave

"I'm worried about this woman. She's been placed into a drug-induced coma. But they've really put an intensive dosage in her. Inducing a coma and not hooking someone up to life support is a very risky procedure. She could flatline if her tongue fell from it's perch into her throat."

Dr. Hargrave was scared, but the best thing to do was remain calm. She was going to have to handle this situation rationally. Her arms were stuck, and even if they were in front of her, she couldn't trust her manual dexterity to place her tongue to the side. Not to mention that she couldn't exactly examine the skull for blunt trauma. There was nothing they could do right now.

King Tius
2008-04-27, 08:03 PM
The Ladies
After several minutes of grunting and panting with hands still bound, Morrin manages to set her trap. Meanwhile Zin is unable to yank her hands free of the handcuffs. From outside the cell you hear a door slide open and footsteps echoing down a corridor. They are rapidly approaching and will be at the outer door in a few seconds.

The Gents
Repairs are started on Effie who has taken quite a hit to her engine and control rooms. With all five servers eventually replaced and the damage to the engine room quickly settled, if not fixed, Effie is given the ok to fly again. Scanning for some type of trail, you manage to pick up the engine signature of the assaulting ship and can make out which direction they went. The homing beacons on the shuttles are not being picked up, so either they've been disabled or are out of range. The Captain pulls up a map and starts futzing around with the coordinates before cursing rather loudly. "By our current heading we're going to head straight to Eclipse Station. Could they really have gone straight to the nearest space station? That seems almost too stupid. Gear up, we'll be there in four hours."

Mike starts his scan on the cortex of pirates and comes up with a two dozen hits, even after refining his search to this sector of space and whatnot. It will take him at least the four hour trip to sift through all the reports, unassisted.

Zoobity
2008-04-27, 10:35 PM
Fr. Lyons

Fr. Lyons goes to his bunk to pray for the success of their mission and the safety of the girls. If anyone requests his help he'll go immediately.

TheRiov
2008-04-29, 06:52 AM
Morrin plays unconcious within lunging-range of the door, her improvised weapon tucked at her stomach so its not immediatly visible.

Bushwhacked
2008-04-30, 11:47 AM
Once he's finished doing what he can to the ship, Kelly's found wandering between the bridge and the engine room. Really pacing out of impatience and frustration he maintains the pretence of double checking the work done and trying to think of a way to stop it happening again. At some point he set aside a nice selection of grenade-like toys which could easily be strapped to his belt, picked up a pistol that felt light in his hands and packed up the sniper rifle into its case, that is after checking they were both clean and ready to use.

When he's told of where they are headed he retorts "Is probably best if yer don't go rushin' onto a space station armed for a raid, their gonna be keepin' half a paranoid eye out for us if their brain pans aint shot. We should go an' ask around but keep it under the radar."

King Tius
2008-05-05, 12:47 PM
Over a week and all I have are three posts and two drop outs? I know people have exams and such, but this is ridiculous. I'm pulling the plug on this one. Thanks to everyone who tried to make this game work and sorry it didn't take off.

Bushwhacked
2008-05-05, 02:00 PM
Gutting but it happens, later everyone and thanks Tius, especially for picking up the guaging interest thread after i thought it dead.