PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga Edition Questions

SilverSheriff
2008-03-27, 07:14 AM
I just have a few questions about the game.

How good of a system is it?
Are there any problems with the system?
Is there any 3rd party or Homebrew to go with it?
Also could you mention some of your (good or bad) gaming experiances with the system?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 08:37 AM
It's a great system. Basically, it's your standard d20, but modified for maximum customization in character creation, and with many minor fixes and changes, like...

increased hit points at first level (thrice maximum for your HD, plus Con modifier once)
no iterative attacks; instead, you can take the Double and Triple Attack feats, giving you an extra attack at -5 and two at -10
no saves; you have three Defence scores instead, and attacks are all "1d20 + modifier VS Defence" (which is a great way to unify the mechanic)
force powers aren't spread out as feats and skills; they're each usable once per encounter per "pick allocated" (so if you pick Force Stun thrice, you can use it thrice per encounter)

There's plenty more. It's definitely superior to the previous edition.

Generally, Saga seems to be a sort of hybrid between 3.5 and 4th edition d20.

Person_Man
2008-03-27, 08:48 AM
It's a great system.

The Disarm and Grapple mechanics are garbage. Other then that, its very well designed. Along with the Tome of Battle, it was the template for 4th ed.

No third party that I know of. But people homebrew stuff all the time. It's quite popular on the Non-D&D section of the WotC website.

The coolest part of the game is that every player always has something interesting to do every round. Force powers (which anyone but droids can get with a feat investment), special abilities, Skills, etc. I've never been bored. The down side is that, if you're well optimized but playing in a game with someone who is poorly optimized, its hard for a DM to create balanced encounters. It's not nearly as bad as D&D, but as long as multi-classing exists, it'll be a problem. It's not that big a deal though, once everyone in the group agrees to a general power level and makes their characters together.

Saph
2008-03-27, 09:44 AM
I won't play my first session of it for two days yet, but having read all the material thoroughly, it looks good to me. They've done a good job simplifying things (and putting everything into one book, too).

One slightly odd thing I've noticed about the mechanics is that skill checks scale at a rate of half your level, +5 if you're trained, while attack bonuses and defence scores scale at a rate of your level. So at low levels skill rolls will beat attack rolls and defences, at mid levels they're about equal, and at high levels skill rolls are at a disadvantage.

Not sure what the consequences of that are, but it just struck me as strange.

- Saph