PDA

View Full Version : Shinji and Warhammer 40k

Fri
2008-03-30, 02:14 PM
Okay, seriously, I hoped that you guys had read this.

Because this is pure gold. The best fanfic I've ever read in my entire life.

And a fanfic that worthy of it's own thread in a forum.

Seriously, because this is just.... Come on. Combining Evangelion and Warhammer 40k?

some review from... fans:

holy crap man...That was only a prologue? That "prologue" was more epic than most multi-chapter fics!

I wonder if Lilith will end up being convinced she is an Ork.

It is a good thing that Shinji kept the Chaos Marine and the Eldar as dealing with SEELE would put them in their element in analyzing them and manipulating them. The Chaos Marine would probably recognize them as being similar to the beings involved in the events of the "Horus Heresy". The Eldar would probably be able to convince Shinji that they are proof that some deserve to be treated and manipulated as tools just as they treat others.

I'm afraid I must ask you to stop writing this story immediately. If you do not, I fear the earth may very well collapse into a singularity from the mass of all the WIN it contains.

The only bad thing about this fic is that it doesn't contain an infinite number of chapters.

MO4R!!

Rei going Wagh.
Please more!
I can already imagine the attack in EoE being repelled by
NERV employees in teminator suits.

The story? Basically a retelling of evangelion. With one simple change. Shinji played Warhammer 40k in his childhood and he's having a good time on it.

Cue, Badass Shinji, with an Eldar, a Space Marine, an Ork, and a Chaos Marine, serve as his councelour, friend, advisor, and overall serve as personification of his thought.

It had a blend of humor, seat gripping action, sci fi, adventure, grit,WH40K styled philosophy, romance, and for good measure, gurren lagan references.

Sure, not perfect or maybe not for everyone. The author said he hate marty stu, but in this case (and I agree, even before I read his thought about it) it can't be helped. Shinji became a bit of marty stu here. But it was needed because this is somewhat a reversal of his role in the original series. And his marty stu-ness declined at later chapters (somehow some reader complained on that).

And the genre is somehow ADVENTURE/HUMOR. So read it with a grain of salt. It started kinda close to the canon, but slowly, it took a really different path.

But seriously, this is great stuff. In my humble opinion: (until the latest chapter, since it hadn't ended yet) starts as freakin amazing, slowly declining because shinji's awesomeness getting kinda boring after a while (though maybe that's just because I read this in one sitting), and then slowly getting pace again, and WTH IS JUST GOING ON! NO THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. HOLY CRAP!

If you like over the top, tongue in cheek story, you might like this.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3886999/1/Shinji_and_Warhammer40k

edit: you might want to prepare the evangelion theme at your player, because, at one point, it specifically said 'cue evangelion theme' :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2008-03-30, 02:57 PM
I read part of it. I don't think I liked Evangelion enough (or got through enough of it) to fully appreciate it, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-30, 05:55 PM
So...it's like a challenge to see how much more GRIMANDARK the author can make each series? I'm not really digging the premise (not really being a Warhammer fan), but I might check it out when I'm bored. Last Obvious Eva Crossover fic I read was the Evangelion/Cthulhu Mythos crossover, which got dull rather quickly (and is much less entertaining than the RPG of the same basic premise, CthulhuTech), so I'm leery of similar ideas.

Still, Hotblooded Shinji is always entertaining, so I guess I'll give it a shot, but be prepared for angry snarking if it's a waste of my time.

Fri
2008-03-30, 10:47 PM
Well, shinji isn't hot blooded here, for one. And it isn't gritty.

It had tight plot (maybe tighter than the actual series) and mind screw though.

Oslecamo
2008-03-31, 05:10 AM
Well, shinji isn't hot blooded here, for one. And it isn't gritty.

It had tight plot (maybe tighter than the actual series) and mind screw though.

Heeerrr, what part of charging alone against the 3 bullies of the school in such a way that not only you make them run in fear but they also later become Shinji's loyal minions isn't hot blooded?

The original Shinji is the kind of kid that would let the bullies steal the figurine whitout much resistance. He lets himself be used and abused like a puppet all over the series.

Yes he has those berseker moments in the series, but just when he's inside the giant uberpowerfull mecha wich messes up with his mind.

Shinji would never be able to effectively lead other people like he did in the fanfiction. He's more the kind of guy who follows orders or disobeys them, never giving them.

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-31, 06:55 AM
I have three words that sum up how truly epic this fic is.

Evas with chainswords.

Seriously. How can you beat that?

Oh, and I also think that
Shinji is the God Emperor of Mankind.
Because it would be oh so fitting.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-31, 09:16 AM
I have three words that sum up how truly epic this fic is.

Evas with chainswords.

Seriously. How can you beat that?
I believe one of them gets a double chain-sword type thing in the manga. It sounds rather silly, but hey, it was Kaworu piloting. Are you gonna argue with him?

Also, I think we have different definitions of "epic".

Oh, and I also think that
Shinji is the God Emperor of Mankind.
Because it would be oh so fitting.
Yeah, that thought fills me with fear because I realize how likely it is.
He was God for a few minutes in End of Evangelion, after all. Or something.

Oslecamo
2008-03-31, 10:20 AM
Well, on chapter 4 and must say it's good writing, altough I never liked crossovers very much, as it feels like double riping. When compared with the gargage that is in fanfiction.net, it is truly an epic worck.

Anyway, it's just my impression or does nobody cares that Shinji talks WH40K style half the time?

Fri
2008-03-31, 11:44 AM
After I read the last chapter, your theory is so making sense that it isn't funny.

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-31, 11:53 AM
After I read the last chapter, your theory is so making sense that it isn't funny.

Scary isn't it? I formulated it after Shinji melted through the door with his AT Field and subsequently passed out. Sounds a lot like Psychich Powers, which the Emperor had plety of and warned others against using, like Shinji and Asua in the scene at the pool not muhc later.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment myself.

Fri
2008-03-31, 12:40 PM
Scary isn't it? I formulated it after Shinji melted through the door with his AT Field and subsequently passed out. Sounds a lot like Psychich Powers, which the Emperor had plety of and warned others against using, like Shinji and Asua in the scene at the pool not muhc later.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment myself.

It slapped myself when
Kaworu killed that gothic lolita girl... poor Anita

Oh, and Eva with chainsword? Asuka got a chain axe and Rei got a freakin double buster rifle... that somehow make sense and isn't ridiculous at all in this realm.

But nothing can beat the badassness of Magnos Tancred. Pure, and crude, and yet beautiful. And it only got one role, to stand against the angels until the evas are ready. Seriously badass normal. No psychic energy, no complicated launch scene, no organic or cybernetic part. Simply crude walking battleship, with five words to describe its launch program. "Stand up and kick ass."

Frosty
2008-03-31, 01:34 PM
While this is epic, it is not epic ENOUGH due to a lack of Haruhi! >.>

We need a cross-fic of Haruhi Suzumiya and warhammer40. Or a cross-fic of all 3!

*zooms away*

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-31, 02:34 PM
Haruhi is Tzeentch. Didn't you hear?

Frosty
2008-03-31, 02:50 PM
For the EMPRESS!

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-31, 03:08 PM
While this is epic, it is not epic ENOUGH due to a lack of Haruhi! >.>

We need a cross-fic of Haruhi Suzumiya and warhammer40. Or a cross-fic of all 3!

*zooms away*

Oh god...I don't want to fathom the Horror of Haruhi and Shinji in the same room. It'd be like matter and anti-matter.

However...Haruhi + WH40k + Eva = So much concentrated awesome only Citan could hope to contain it.

Seraph
2008-03-31, 03:56 PM
this makes me wonder what would happen if Ideon showed up in the Warhammer 40k universe. faith can only stand so strong against a robot that cuts planets in half (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4St9e7ZMco).

Frosty
2008-03-31, 04:20 PM
this makes me wonder what would happen if Ideon showed up in the Warhammer 40k universe. faith can only stand so strong against a robot that cuts planets in half (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4St9e7ZMco).

Not if the Imperium gets Sanger Zonvolt, the sword that smites evil!

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-31, 04:37 PM
I vote we just toss Warhammer into Super Robot Wars and see what happens. Although, given the franchises tendency toward happiness and optimism, even in storylines like Eva's and Ideon's, it would probably be insufficiently GRIMANDARK for Warhammer. Still, it'd make an interesting addition...pick a few exemplary Tau to use as protagonist pilots, maybe some of the less insane Terrans...

...yeah, if someone who's actually played 40K could get on this right now, I'd really appreciate it. And it would likely maintain my interest better than this one, which I just can't seem to follow through on.

American additions to SRW...WH40K...BattleTech...
...Metal Gear?! Not technically American, but...

EDIT: OMFG! Megas XLR!

Okay, I'm continuing this discussion over in the SRW thread in Other Games before I get too excited.

Lord of Rapture
2008-04-01, 02:48 AM
What about WH40K and AVATAR?

That way, Chaos and the Imperium could actually be responsible for everything!

hanzo66
2008-04-01, 03:46 AM
Checked out the story. Fun how Shinji takes ideas from a fascist, a fight-obsessed pugilist, a crazed destroyer of worlds and a manipulative shrew from a dystopia worse than his.

Haven't gotten far, but I am greatly amused.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-01, 08:17 AM
The dystopia is worse than his, or the manipulative shrew is worse than his?

BA-ZING!

JONJONAUG
2008-04-02, 09:58 AM
Read it before and this is one of the few fanfics I keep up with.

Does a good job of merging Eva and Warhammer 40K, and it manages to keep with MOST of the characters pretty well (I don't agree with the way Kaji was handled). The earliest chapters are a lot better than the later ones though (just like the anime). It would probably be better if the writer didn't have to include "reference to whatever anime or movie I happen to be watching at the moment" (seriously, Legend of Galactic Heroes doesn't have much of a place in Eva).

hanzo66
2008-04-02, 08:36 PM
The dystopia is worse than his, or the manipulative shrew is worse than his?

BA-ZING!

Both!

Or take your pick, I could care less.