PDA

View Full Version : Summon Undead VI - IX?

Maerok
2008-03-30, 10:05 PM
Has anyone taken a crack at making these spells? The original SU chain only goes from 1st level to 5th. These spells have actually been pretty fun. Owlbear skeletons are rather vicious.

Prometheus
2008-03-30, 10:08 PM
I don't have the book with me, but if I were to make it, I'd see if I could establish a Spell level <-> CR correlation and extrapolate from there. Of course, there's probably a good reason why extrapolation doesn't work, but that's besides the point.

UglyPanda
2008-03-30, 10:30 PM
Here's an excerpt. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=5)

I think that the undead with the create spawn ability should require higher level spells, but other than that, it should be easy to add the skeleton or zombie template to large beasts.

Maerok
2008-03-30, 10:30 PM
I've tried to find the golden ratio like that for create undead.

Prometheus
2008-03-30, 10:41 PM
Alright, well all the Summon Level # can generate a zombie or skeleton of CR #, so I assume the trend continues there (except SU I, which is half CR or less).

It gets more complicated for Undead that are more intelligent and sophisticated. It appears to be a CR of one or two less than #.

Summon Monster # generates monsters of equal CR #, plus or minus 1 or 2 as it gets larger.

The criteria for picking one over the other appears to be very arbitrary/balance focused. (edit) I see now that it is based on having several options for every level. Using wider sources, this is mostly corrected.

EDIT: My attempt
VI
Wraith
Skeleton, Advanced Megaraptor
Zombie, Gray Render
VII
Skeleton, Cloud Giant
Zombie (any 20 HD or less)
VIII
Spectre
Skeleton, Young Adult Red Dragon
IX
Bodak
Greater Shadow
Mohrg
Skeleton (any 20 HD or less)

Maerok
2008-03-31, 08:20 AM
That looks good. It should be mentioned for anyone looking into this that HoH has newer versions of Summon Undead which are typically paired off skeleton-zombie like this (Libris Mortis has an older set).

Well I see UglyPanda touched on that point first.