PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Pirates! IC

TwoBitWriter
2008-03-31, 01:00 PM
(A little Backhistory)
It has only been a year since the end of the Great Naval War that pitted the two greatest human nations, Brittania and Hispaniola against one another. Neither could maintain any advantage for long, and the other countries refused to get involved in the conflict.
An armistice was eventually signed, allowing Britannia to resume their arms trade with Ollandia and Azach, while opening up new routes to Francais. Hispaniola was given colonial rights to a newly discovered island that lay between the two nation's territories. Both sides were happy with the arrangement, though both still wished that they had gained more from the conflict. Much tension still remains between the two countries, and they eye one another warily.
During the conflict, corsair crews of Kobolds, Orcs, and Goblins were allowed to strengthen and grow, facing little resistance from the civilized world. Little has yet been done even after the warabout the terror that they have unleashed on the world. Most of that work has been left to privateer crews originally left out of work following the Britannian/Hispaniolan war.

The elves remained isolated in their undersea kingdom, dealing little with the upside world. The Aventi were still scattered and trying to rebuild their civilization, destroyed by hostile Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa tribes. The Dwarves and Gnomes continued to strive to perfect their gunpowder weapons, making incredible profits by selling their arms and ordinance to any willing to pay their exorbitant fees.

(Current Situation)
All you hear are the seabirds chirping and the waves washing against the sandy beach.
All you feel is sand within every inch of your clothes, a head that aches, a stomach that turns violently, and a mouth filled with the bitter taste of saltwater.
The sun is high, and hot, the air is very humid. You lift yourself to a sitting position and see six people lying near you. You recognize nearly all of them as having been aboard the General Taylor carrying a shipment of arms to the Human Nation of Ollandia. You were attacked by three ships crewed by those foul beasts of the Kurtulmak Coast. You don't know why they sank the ship rather than plundering it and putting the crew to the sword, maybe you were all putting up too good of a fight, maybe it had been an accident. No, that couldn't be it, the Kobolds are too professional in their piratical raids for that to happen.

The last thing you remember was a massive explosion. Both Gil and Simone were knocked unconscious by the blast so that their normal affinity with water mattered little, though it probably did save their lives. The rest of you, Jasper, Maximillian, Theodore, and Trueno surely only survived by dumb luck.

You stand and meet together on the beach, each of you only carrying what you managed to grab before being swallowed up by the briny drink. None of you recognize the island, and you do not know whose territory you have been forced into. You were only five days from Ollandia proper, so this may be their territory. It may also be claimed by the monstrous races. Either way, you need to find a way off soon.

The beach runs North and South until eventually curving to the West. A dense jungle forms a line along the beach about fifty feet from the shoreline. There are no paths that you can see, indeed, there are no signs that this island is inhabited at all...

Serje
2008-03-31, 04:04 PM
Simone La'Quella

The half-elf lies face down on the sandy beach only a few feet from the sea, close enough so that every wave covers him in salty water. To the seabirds hovering above he looks to be dead, it is only under closer inspection that his chest appears to be moving slightly. After lying there for a long time he manages to wake up and with much groaning and muffled swearing he pushes himself into a sitting position. Most of his equipment seemed to be lost to the sea, he had one bag of shots and one corked tube full of powder, but from the looks of it no gun to fire with. Sighing deeply at his misfortune he pulls off his knee high buckled leather boots and drains them of the water they contained. A big grin spreads across his face when, as well as the water, his final pistol fell out of his left boot, the place he always kept it in.

His happiness at this discovery helped him to put up with all of his pain; his blinding headache, violently churning stomach and a stinging burn coming from a cut on his arm. Thinking to himself that it'd do no good to just sit and mope about his problems, Simone drags himself onto his bare feet, carrying his boots and pistol in hand, and stumbles further up the beach. It was only now that he noticed the other people who had apparently survived the shipwreck. "What a fine day this is turning out to be. Makes you happy to be alive, eh?" His voice is quite soft and clipped when compared to his fairly muscular build and strange. alien features, it would not be expected to be coming from his mouth. "So.. any ideas of how we're gonna sort out this mess?"

mainiac
2008-03-31, 04:10 PM
Jasper rose to his knees and gave a course and ragged cough with the aftertaste of seawater in it. "Happy now sister?" He asked the ocean rhetorically before bowing his head to the harsh rays of the sun.
"Are you men alright?" he called to the others figures strewn about the beach. He got to his feet and went man to man, checking to see if they were still breathing. He moved slowly but felt his strength slowly returning to him as he made the rounds. He's strong enough to offer a hand up to the others as they find their own ways back to their feet at least. And his spirits are high enough that he can force a rueful smile back at Simone "It's always a good day to be alive, good sir."
With everyone standing, Jasper looks about at the dazed bunch he has before him. "Greatings and good fortune, everyone." he announced without a trace of irony. "I am Jasper, one of the passengers on board. I don't imagine any of you know this island?" Jasper did not look too surprised by the negative responses. "Well, if we can all walk, I suggest we move inland into the wood. We need to look to finding some food in the jungle and building a fire to attract attention tonight."

TKDfirefly
2008-03-31, 04:55 PM
Trueno

Hearing the birds and the waves, Trueno slowly opens his eyes. Pirates. Why did it have to be pirates? Why couldn't it have been a storm? Even the worst hurricane would have been better. For me at least. The pounding in Trueno head slowly dies away as he sits up. Looking down to see that he still has his holy symbol around his neck, he smiles and holds it close to his chest. He looks around and notices that his backpack close by. He picks it up and looks around. Seeing others on the beach, he quickly gets up to see if they need help. As he is checking everyone, he begins to talk, to no one in particular.

"Thank Procan that we have survived. It is only with his help that we were able to make it to this...land. I am Trueno, a missionary for the Storm God, Procan."

Job
2008-03-31, 05:05 PM
Maximilian Marcos

Well I’m thinking. Max muses to himself as the sound and heat of the mid-day beach return him to consciousness. Let’s see if I can make something of it. Max stands with a groan and begins to inspect his person. He is immediately relieved to find his spell book intact, if damp and covered with sand, everything else is secondary. Lastly his hand falls on an empty scabbard with a heavy sigh, it would seem the sea has claimed all of you father.

As Jasper approached, Max thanked him for the concern and told him he was alright. During the conversation max also sent out a small metal impulse, if that tiny bat of his had survived the night he should come soon.

Now with the survivors all together Max introduces himself: “Maximilian Marcos, at your service, good to see some of us made it.” With that Max speaks an incantation and sand and salt begins to peels off him as if repulsed, he then directs the spell to do the same to the others. He does not ask permission, but simply moves on if someone protests.

OOC:Cast Prestidigitation.

Boggs
2008-03-31, 05:51 PM
Gil kneels on the beach rifling through what little he could gather before the blast and what he scavenged from the water. Lying everything along the ground he puts his chin on his hand, What do we have here? A rapier, not mine, that one is probably still stuck in the Kobold I stabbed... oh well, good to have a familiar weapon. A kukri, nice for cutting the foilage. Apart from that, random trinkets, did get some food... he reaches down for the soggy loaves of bread. Brushing off the sand, he reluctantly takes a bite. His face cringes but he makes the effort to swallow. He licks his lips, spitting out the remainder of the food patting his clothes... Wait, wait, wait, what was that? He feels something hard in his pocket, he lifts out a metal flask, he uncorks the top, smelling the opening. Please don't tell me you too were spoiled by the sea... he takes a small drink and a smile spreads across his face.

Quickly, he shoves the kukri in his boot and grabs the rest of his possessions. He walks over to the group of the other survivors, passing by Maximillian he gives him a pat on the back, "Well, fellas, I don't know how to remedy this situation." He drops his gear on the ground sifting through for the bread and flask; when he finds them, he extends his hands to the group. "However, I have some dreadfully soggy bread to fill our bellies. And a bit of delicious rum to wash down the salty flavor." He looks around, waiting for someone to take them.

TKDfirefly
2008-03-31, 08:35 PM
Trueno

"Let me see that bread." After Trueno takes the soggy bread, he prays, "O great and powerful Procan. I thank you for allowing us to come through the terrible attack alive. I know that you are at work right now, showing us a new path for our lives. Please let this path begin with a decent meal so that we can have the strength to continue. May the storm of our lives be in Your control. Amen."

During the prayer, the crested wave around Trueno's neck begins to glow. Then that power shifts from the amulet to the soggy bread. Slowly, the surrounding people are aware of the bread becoming fresh like it just come out of the oven. Once Trueno finishes, he passes around the bread only taking what he feels is necessary for him.

Trueno uses Purify Food and Drink on the bread.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-03-31, 09:33 PM
Theodore

The large man lay sprawled face-down in the sand. It was some time before the warm rays of the sun rouse him from his stupor. As he sits upright, sand pours from his garment and from his now matted black hair. A moment later he removes an oilskin pouch from beneath himself, the contents of which reveal to be another functional pistol. Seeing others rousing themselves, he stands and shakes a bit more sand from his hair and beard.

Theodore Tuttor at you service, such as it is. I was hired to safeguard the cargo, apparently my skills were not sufficient.

He shrugs and accepts the services of the mage in removing the substantial buildup of sand he had accumulated. When the bread comes around, he takes a piece and washes it down gratefully with a swig of rum.

Well, we're alive. Going to need some water, that rum will just dry us out.

mainiac
2008-03-31, 11:44 PM
"Don't be overly concerned. We'll find water soon enough I'm sure." As if to prove his confidence, Jasper took the flask and took a short sip from it, then handed it back with a smile.
"But I agree that we should start looking. I'll see what I can find, anyone want to join me?"
Jasper looks to see who takes him up on his offer.

Boggs
2008-04-01, 12:09 AM
Gil's eyes are still locked on Trueno as he bites into the warm bread. It's a welcome flavor compared to the small taste he had earlier. He kneels back down to his gear and looks back up to Trueno, "Here's another loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese. I can't do much with 'em, maybe you'll have a lot better luck."

He stands back up, wiping the dust from his knees, "Sorry, lads, I must be the rude one. The name's Gil, Gil Lokhart. Nice to meet ya." He glances around the island, then looks back down to his pile, "I managed to swipe some stuff from the water. It's not much but we should be able to get use out of some of it. It's probably best to look for water and shelter why will still have daylight," he pauses, takes the flask from Jasper and takes another sip of rum.

He looks back to the beach where they washed up from the sea, "For now, I'm gonna make a quick scan across shallows. Hopefully there's something of use I can find down there."

With this, Gil shoves the rapier into the sand. He crouches down, takes the kukri from his boot and puts it in his mouth. After taking off his boots, he removes his leather jerkin and starts walking towards the water.

Serje
2008-04-01, 01:58 AM
Simone La'Quella

Simone smiles broadly as Maximilian's magic dries the saltwater from his clothes and brushes off the sand. "Thank you kindly, I appreciate it". Simone loved being under the waves, but he always swam in just his underclothes that he could switch out when he got back on land, he hated being soaking wet and on shore at the same time. As he slips his boots back on he introduces himself properly, "I'm called Simone, Simone La'Quella. It's good to see others made it."

He gladly takes a bite out of the bread as it comes around and savors the mouthful of rum, it could be their last in a while. He waves his pistol in the air while saying "I'm sorry to say this is all I washed up with, everything else I own... owned.. is probably still in my bunk. I could always take a swim down there at some point, there should be a lot of useful things left on it." He then sits and thinks to himself about how good that plan is, he has little idea where the boat is, how far down it sunk or what kinds of aquatic monstrosities were now residing it it. But, with the risks came the chance of huge gains, anything could have survived relatively intact.

TKDfirefly
2008-04-01, 05:36 AM
Trueno

Trueno gladly accepts the bread and cheese. He places them in his backpack saying, "I will save these for later. It would be no point to eat everything we have right now."

"I know that we should investigate around us. I am very interested in what can be found. However, I do not like the idea of someone going off alone. We should pair up, just like thunder and lightning. So I say we should decide together on where we go to investigate this strange land."

Boggs
2008-04-01, 06:26 AM
Gil overhears the last statement from Trueno before he hits the waves. He considers it for a moment, since he can remember he has wandered alone; however, those were in more civilized areas. And these weren't exactly familiar waters, besides, it'd give him someone to talk with and make the situation seem less dire. Retracing Trueno's words, he jogs back to the group, taking the kukri from his teeth along the way.

"Thunder and lightning, eh? I like the sound of that. Give me a chance to actually talk with the crew I've been working with for so long." He gives a quick look to the Elf, "Simone, is it? I'm thinking we can check the shallows off the island; try to find anything salvageable that could have washed up from the ship. With it already being midday, maybe a little later, I'm not sure we will have time to search the deeper waters for the wreckage."

Gil kneels down again, sifting through what he has already found (a bucket, twenty-five feet of rope, a hammer, four pitons, two square-yards of canvas, and a cloth sack filled with ten candles) he takes the cloth sack and dumps the candles. As he stands he ties the sack firmly to his belt and motions to the pile, "This is all I've gathered so far. There's not much but maybe we can find some use for it." He pulls the rapier from the scabbard in the sand and inspects the blade.

Serje
2008-04-01, 08:52 AM
Simone La'Quella

"Simone it is, aye. Your idea sounds good to me anyway, and I think you're right about the wreckage, we can always go another day. It's not like we're going to be rushing of any time soon." A grim smile spreads across his face at the last comment, at the prospect of being stranded here finally sinks in. Once again he slips off his boots, filling one with his gun and ammunition before removing his leather breastplate and white shirt leaving him bare chested. He then takes off his trousers to reveal a tight pair of leggings made from the distinctive, shimmering grey material that could only be sharkskin. "They dry off quicker ya see, I don't mind swimming in these" he says with a smile on his face. "Well Gil, I'm ready when you are. Shall we get going?"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-01, 09:01 AM
Theodore

I'm not too keen on getting back in the water just yet, but it's a good idea to get all the gear we can. I am up for some dryer exploration though.

Boggs
2008-04-01, 09:06 AM
Gil eyes the leggings Simone is wearing, "Now aren't those somethin'? They dry quicker, you say? Might need to invest in some of those." He tears a strand of cloth from his tattered shirt, then removes it tossing it next to his boots and rapier. With the cloth, he ties his long, sandy hair back. "As for these regular pants, they chafe something terrible once you're out of the water."

He gives Simone a smile and a nod then motions towards the waterfront. Before leaving, he looks back to the rest of the crew, "We'll probably be gone for awhile; maybe even close to sunset. Try to find a place close to the beach to set camp. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not too keen on the idea of camping too far inland. At least, not until I know more about this island."

He turns back to Simone and starts jogging for the water. Although being stranded is grim, a smile still spreads across his face. He's been around water all his life... there are worst places he could be stranded.

Serje
2008-04-01, 09:20 AM
Simone La'Quella

"Like he says, who knows how long we could be away for. I wish you all the best of luck with what you do, be safe, we'll try to be." With a final nod to his new companions he turns and jogs after Gil, running for quite a few steps to catch up with him.

[roll0]

Job
2008-04-01, 03:52 PM
Max

“Well that should do the trick” Max says as he motions the spell to move inland, “while those two are out searching I’ll try and clear a campsite near the shore, best I stay close by, I’m expecting someone to drop in, and I’d hate for him to miss us.” Max opens and fiddles with his book for a bit, but ultimately returns it to his side disappointed. He walks off to the tree line and begins using his spell to slowly clear debris from the ground as he steps into the forest.

OOC:survival check:[roll0] to identify a good nearby campsite

Serje
2008-04-01, 04:26 PM
Simone La'Quella

As he jogs along the beach with Gil he notices more and more the kukri in Gil's hand, and the lack of any weaponry in his own. This thought started to worry him, he didn't want to have survived the shipwreck to be taken down by some animal or worse on the beach. "Gil, you know that sword you managed to find? Would ya mind me borrowing it for a little while, till I can grab a big stick or something from inland? I'd grab my pistol, but it would do us no good underwater."

If Gil says yes then Simone will sprint back to their items and grab the rapier and then sprint back, moving as fast as he is able to. If not he'll then put all his efforts into finding something he can use as an improvised weapon.

Boggs
2008-04-01, 05:40 PM
Gil stops running when he hears Simone, he looks back and chuckles, "Now where the Hell are my manners? Sure thing, I'll wait here for you then we can get back on track. Typically, I use a rapier myself but it's a bit awkward to swim with it strapped to your hip. But, sure, no telling what's lurking in these waters."

When Simone turns to jog back down the beach, Gil kneels down and draws various designs in the sand with the kukri. As Simone returns, he stands and jogs back towards the water. While on his face he shows signs of being carefree, in his mind he thinks about the dangers that may lie ahead...

[roll0]

Serje
2008-04-02, 03:25 PM
Simone La'Quella

Simone comes jogging back just as quickly as he'd said he would. He has the rapier strapped to his hip and in his hand he carries his gun, the shots and powder for which hang loosely across his chest in their bandoleer. "Thanks a lot Gil!" he says, smiling happily. "I have no idea how to use it, I'll probably hurt myself more than anything else, but I'm glad to have it anyway. Figured I might as well bring my gun too, I can't see it working underwater but at least I could club someone with it if need be." He laughs a little to himself at this before going back to their search again.

Boggs
2008-04-03, 03:38 AM
He chuckles with Simone about the pistol, "Yeah, might be a bit hard to swing against the current. As for the rapier, don't mention it. Better safe than sorry, right?" Gil looks back to the beach and then to Simone, "Ready to get things started?"

Once Simone is ready, Gil will venture into the shallows. Since we decided on take 10, I will do so giving me a total of a 12 Search. Still won't find much, but maybe a little bit of something.

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-03, 07:30 AM
Gil and Simone

You swim through the shallows, noticing that a large coral reef surrounds much of the island, but apparently the island is far enough from where the wreck of the ship sunk because you are completely unable to locate anything to scavenge. You witness a few sea creatures sailing by. Even a large shark passes, but it ignores the two of you completely. On the opposite end of the island you do see a small sailing vessel approaching the island proper. It's only a small pinnace, but upon further careful exploration you notice that it is crewed entirely by kobolds. You are not able to get an exact count of how many there are, but each is armed to the teeth with pistols, swords, and kobold carbines... Their leader is dressed simply and carries only a small spear.

Theodore, Max, Trueno, and Jasper
After watching Simone and Gil leave the beach and enter the waves, the four of you move inland, heading West, and searching for a suitable campsite where to base the party's operations. Max clears away a workable path through the dense vegitation and undergrowth of the jungle, which can be easily followed by Gil and Simone when they return from the sea. It is filled with large, fruit bearing trees and you can you see countless small animals scurrying around. At least you won't have to worry about food for the time being. After approximately two hours of working your way through the four of you eventually come across a small clearing filled with what appears to be the remains of a large stone structure of some kind. Only the base remains relatively intact. The stones that stand form a large ring around the clearing itself and has done a fair job of keeping the trees and larger animals of the jungle out. As to who the structure once belonged to, its impossible to tell at first glance. The stone ring stands about five feet tall at its highest and there are three points to the East, West, and Northern edge that have completely eroded, allowing easy access.
(A knowledge: History, Knowledge: Architecture check, or a Bardic Knowledge check might glean some information about the ruins. Each person rolling can only do one of the three mentioned.)

Boggs
2008-04-03, 05:31 PM
Gil has his kukri clenched between his teeth, wringing out his pants on the beach, and staring warily at the approaching Kobold vessel. Taking the kukri from his teeth, he walks to Simone, "On a typical day, I'd feel comfortable scouting ahead to the ship, take a headcount, then gather up the other fellas..." He pauses for a moment, thinking of the kukri held firmly in his hand. Then he looks over to Simone, glancing at the rapier and pistol and continues, "...but today I somehow feel ill-equipped. We should go back around to the rest of the crew. It may be close to sundown when we arrive, but at least we know the general location of the ship. Could always attack at nightfall or at dawn?"

Gil looks to the water then to the pants he just wringed out, "Mind if we take the beach going back? I'd like to give my pants some time to dry."

Job
2008-04-03, 06:33 PM
Max

Max steps tentatively into the clearing and begins to examine the ruins from a distance. After several moments of silent deliberation he turns to his companions with a combination of concern and excitement. “These are Azikistani ruins…predecessors of the Azach, which is peculiar, considering our supposed proximity to Ollandia.” Max momentarily breaks eye contact, and makes some odd gestures with his hands, as if trying to mold his thoughts. “Either we aren’t where we think we are, or this island is very out of place and unexplored” he turns his back and slowly wanders further into the clearing “that, or they all got killed by the undead.”

OOC: ready to cast sheild, or grease should Max spot anything threatening

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-03, 09:10 PM
Theodore

Theodore simply comes to a stop and waits for his companions to make sense of the ruins. I have no knowledge of such things, buildings are either standing or useless. Might be able to make a shelter here though. He is about to voice this thought, when Max comes to his conclusion regarding the structure.

What's that about undead? From the looks of it, this has been abandoned for a good long while. Should be careful regardless.

With this he pulls out his pistol and loads a shot, cocking the hammer halfway. Hope it didn't get wet.

TKDfirefly
2008-04-03, 09:57 PM
Trueno

Trueno has been following along with the rest of the group. He was happy to see the fruit in the trees. Good. I do not need to waste any of my spells with useless food ones. I hope we find fresh water soon too. That will make my job a lot easier. I wonder if I should ask Procan for... Trueno is interrupted with his thoughts by the mention of Azikistani and undead. His smile quickly fades. He starts to looking around the area as he grips his trident tighter. The silver crested wave around his necks starts to give a faint glow.

Spot check [roll0] - for the forest around the ruins
Knowledge (religion) check [roll1] - for Azikistani beliefs
ready to cast Entropic Shield if notices danger coming

Serje
2008-04-04, 01:45 AM
Simone La'Quella

As Gil was wringing out his pants Simone was busy cleaning his pistol using the small scrap of cloth he kept in the bullet pouch. When the barrel was sufficiently dry he took out the lead ball, rubbed it dry and then switched it for another anyway. He pulled back the hammer just as Gil walked back over to him and listened to what he had to say.

"I know what you mean, I can't say I fancy attacking an entire ship with just one pistol and a couple of blades. We should get back anyway, think up a plan, that ship looked far too equipped for my liking. Anyway, lets get back. The beach you say? Then lets go!" He then smiles to Gil and motioning back towards the direction they started from began jogging back to where they left the others.

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-07, 08:56 AM
(if no one has any objections, I will push things forward a little.)

Gil and Simone return to the beach where the six of you had awoken. They follow the cleared path created by Maximillian and quickly find the stone ruins where you have established your campsite. By now it is is approaching sundown. The two swimmers relate their discovery of the Kobold Pinnace ship that has anchored, and the crew that has gone ashore on the opposite end of the island.

You know that Pinnaces are small ships, the smallest class capable of travelling across the open ocean. It only requires a trained crew of four men to operate, with a full capacity of fifteen crew members. You are pretty sure that the ship was filled to capacity with kobolds, so that would mean that you are facing roughly double the max human capacity in kobolds on the island. Individually they are quite frail and easy to dispatch, but with nearly thirty roaming around and bristling with guns and swords you are facing a real challenge to what is, perhaps, the only way off the island.

TKDfirefly
2008-04-07, 05:01 PM
Trueno

(I wanted to move on but I was waiting for the results from my checks. See Spoiler, TwoBit)

Trueno quietly listens to the tale of the pirates from the swimmers. If I have proven my valor to Procan earlier, I would have slightly better spells. However, this does not mean I am useless. Even the smallest gust of wind can change an entire storm. Clearing his throat to get everyone's attention, he states,

"I suggest that we rest for the night but with someone keeping watch. I know that some of the spellcasters like myself should only take the first or last watch."

Boggs
2008-04-08, 12:57 AM
Gil

Gil leans against a tree focusing on the conversation taking place. Removing his left boot he dumps out the remaining bits of sand; he kneels down to put it back on before fitting the kukri back around the strap. Wiping the dust from his hands he walks back to the crew, "While I agree that we should attack them together, I think it may be best to do it under the cover of night. I don't know too much about Kobolds; however, I do know it's easier to make the size of our troupe appear larger in the moonlight. Also, nothing hurts worse than the element of surprise. It may be too hard to attack in the light. Plus, we don't know how long they will make this island their port. I say we get the ship tonight, find out what supplies we will need on board, then prepare ourselves for the venture home."

Feeling a bit foolish on his opinion, Gil returns to leaning on a tree and crossing his arms across his chest. Either I'll have all their support... or I may be deserted on this island come morning...

He gives a quick look to Simone, "By the way, can I get that rapier back now. It'd be a bit more comforting to have a larger weapon at my side."

Serje
2008-04-08, 03:01 AM
Simone

Simone sits on the beach near the others, once again wearing the rest of his clothes and his boots. After putting the hammer on his pistol back down he put it back in his boot and unbuckled the rapier he had borrowed. "Thank you" he says as he passes it back to its owner, "I was glad to have it. If you see something I could swing like a club, please shout up."

"It's pretty clear that we need to attack those kobolds, we need that boat. All im thinking though, can we actually beat them? There were a lot and unlike us they were actually armed pretty well. I'm not saying we shouldn't fight them, I just think we should sort out some form of plan before we do. I do agree with fighting them tonight though, the darkness should hopefully help us."

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-08, 10:35 PM
Theodore

Theodore sits with the group and thoroughly inspects his singular pistol. He checks the lock and trigger for rust. With a bit of his shirt and a stick, he cleans the barrel as best he can. He looks up for a moment as the conversation turns toward the koblods.

I would say we targeting the ship is a good idea. If the majority have gone to shore, we might stand a chance of overpowering the few remaining guards. If we do things right, we might be able to cast off before the kobolds know what is going on. I would like to know why they are here though...

As he trails off, he returns to cleaning his weapon.

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-09, 08:21 AM
It is now very dark and you are all quite tired. Hunting kobolds right now may not be the best of ideas for the moment.
The jungle seems to come alive with noise, mostly insects, but you swear you can detect the sounds of something larger stalking through the trees, shuffling past the undergrowth. The sound soon tapers off though. Whatever it was, it is gone now.

Boggs
2008-04-11, 06:40 PM
Gil leans against the tree, his bowed down, a slight snore is heard from his mouth and he darts back to attention. He looks around to see if anyone noticed the approaches them again, "On second thought, I'm feeling a little exhausted. We've been out in the scorching sun today for several hours. We've yet to find a proper water source and, honestly, considering what we've recently gone through. A nice meal to restore our energy, a quick amount of rest, and then we should suffer the Kobolds. Now, what is there to eat around here?"

He begins looking about the trees for fruit, then he hears the loud noise from the forest and jumps back from the tree line, "What the bloody hell was that!?"

Serje
2008-04-12, 06:36 AM
Simone

"I gotta say Gil, I agree with you. I don't think any of us are in a good enough state to fight these kobolds. We should get at least a little rest before we do anything about this little situation... What do we got to eat around here? An' what're these ruins we're camping in? I've never seen anythin' like them."

At the sound of the large animal and Gil's outburst Simone quickly leaps to his feet and readies his pistol to fire. He keeps it pointing ahead of him as he stares into the darkness, trying to pinpoint where the sound came from. As it tapers off he relaxes a little and lowers his pistol, keeping the hammer pulled back however. "Well it's gone at least. We'd just better hope it doesn't come back..."

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-14, 11:42 AM
The night passes unevenfully. You keep your regular watches, allowing the spellcasters to get their full nights rest. And despite the occasional rustle in the brush and the constant calls of the insects, nothing significant occurs.

However, in the very early morning hours just as the sun begins to rise you hear a sharp yapping howl that is quickly silenced. The howl came from the North of you, and was relatively close.

Job
2008-04-15, 03:19 AM
Max

“Well gentlemen, seems we have a problem.” max says as he readies his things. “Now that we are all secure, lets procure some transportation.”

Serje
2008-04-15, 08:48 AM
Simone

The half-elf's ears prick up at the sound of the howl, and then the lack of it. His mind begins to think of all the possibilities; it could have just been a predator catching its breakfast, but what if it was a kobold hunting party sent to search for food. He didn't like the latter possibility, with the relative closeness to them he'd much rather it be something not armed with weaponry better than their own. He didn't like the idea of it being a predator either, but that was, hopefully, the lesser of the two evils.

"So what's the plan then? Are we going to go at those kobolds now, before they get a chance to leave? I'm open to any suggestions on how we should proceed, and if anyone has a clue what kind of animal that was, I'd like to know..."

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-18, 05:37 PM
Theodore

The night's sleep was a bit fitful, not for the noise, but for the lack thereof. Theodore had grown quite accostomed to the creaking and groaning of a ship at sea, and his body had difficulty adjusting to a bed that did not move. Still, his weariness allowed him to gain enough rest to take his watch and rise with the group in the morning.

At the strange howls and yappings, he loads and readies his pistol. Turning to Simone he speaks in a calm tone.

Sounds like the kind of animal you can shoot. We'll avoid it if we can, but our main priority is the ship.

Boggs
2008-04-20, 03:41 PM
Gil

Gil comes from a hidden part behind a few trees tightening the belt around his pants. He gives everyone a warning, "I'd stay clear of those bushes if I were..." his voice is cut off by the sharp howl. His eyes dart to the northern edge where it came from, he remains silent, eyes fixed to the trees. After Simone and Theodore speak, he gives his own thoughts, "I'm not sure what kind of animal it was... to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I want to know. We need to get moving soon before the Kobolds have a chance to break shore. As much as I love this island, I'd feel much more comfortable on a ship... even if it is a Kobold vessel."

TKDfirefly
2008-04-22, 06:00 PM
Trueno

Waking up from a long, deep sleep, Trueno yawns loudly. "Excuse me, friends. I did not realize how tired I was from our excitement yesterday. Thank Procan for safety through the night." He then turns and goes through his daily meditation to the Lord of Storms.

Once done, Trueno turns back and pulls out the sea damaged food and an empty waterskin. Bowing his head, he prays, "O great and powerful Procan, we are thankful of your protection through the night. We now ask you for your help with the needs of the flesh. Grant us strength through this food and give us decent drink that will not hinder our actions. May the storms of our lives be in Your control. Amen."

Like the day before, the crested wave around Trueno necks glows. But this time there were two distinct flashes of power that drift to toward the objects. One touches the bread and cheese which make them fresh and decent to eat; the other touches the waterskin which swells from the power. Trueno passes the the bread, cheese, and waterskin around the group. After taking his share of course.

Trueno uses Purify Food and Drink and Create Water.

OOC -- Sorry for the disappearance. However there was warning in my sig that I would be unable to post. It took longer than I thought though.

Job
2008-04-23, 12:45 AM
Max

“Thank you friend” Max pleasantly offers as Trueno’s bounty makes its rounds. “But all this aside we really must make haste, I’m ready to move”

He fidgets constantly, occasionally stealing glances into his book. I would appear the night has taken a toll on the calm he had exhibited the day before.

“Anyone dealt with kobolds before? We should speak of a strategy as we move to spy their ship”

Before they depart Max steals to the back of the crowd and removes his bat from a special perch on the inside of his jacket. Max is aware the tiny creature can’t perceive his meaning, but he speaks hoping his sentiment will be enough “Bit, stay close and out of sight, if you spot trouble come and find me…I would not ask you to fly in daylight but we are in need of you, I apologize” with a gently lift he send the bat flying, and returns to his companions.

TKDfirefly
2008-04-23, 01:51 AM
Trueno

"You are welcome my friend." Turning away from Max, Trueno asks "What noise are you talking about? Was I really that tired that I did not notice it?" He then listens to the descriptions of the howl from his comrades. "That sounds very interesting." He then ponders for a little bit if he can recall any knowledge of a creature making that sound. If he does remember, he relates the information to his companions.

"Now I have not been in many fights. And certainly few with kobolds. However, if we follow Procan and He grants us His protection, we should be able to win. During my daily devotion to Him, I was given the spell camoflouge spell. That might have been Procan's push for us to take a similar approach."

Checks for the noise
Knowledge (religion) [roll0]
Knowledge (nature) [roll1]

Serje
2008-04-23, 01:55 AM
Simone

"Thank you kindly friend" Simone says, a smile on his face, as the food and drink was passed his way. "I'm ready to move too, the sooner we get going, the sooner we get off this island."

He stands from his sitting position and stretches out his body, his stance giving away his eagerness to get moving. "I've found the best way to fight kobolds, is just like fighting anything else. Shoot before they do and aim better than they can."

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-23, 07:39 AM
You all cautiously approach the direction where the howl came from. It isn't long before you find the body of a kobold pirate lying in the thick underbrush. His body is twisted in several unnatural positions and large chunks of its flesh are torn away.

It is still in possession of its arms, a small short sword and small flintlock pistol. A small pouch with nine balls inside and a powder horn adorn its belt.
A small trail of pressed down brush leads away from the body, along with a line of more blood. It appears that someone was dragged away from this site, to the West.
The kobolds seem to have come from the North, judging from the cut-away brush in that direction. Though it is day, the thick canopy above makes it quite dark at this location.

Trueno

Judging by the marks and the manner of the kobolds death, and the unmistakable scent of death and disease in the air, you believe this to be the work of ghouls...

Serje
2008-04-23, 04:21 PM
Simone

"Now that ain't a nice way to die from the looks of things. It might be one less kobold for us to fight, but what killed it? Looking at this mangled thing, I'd much rather have fought it than whatever killed it... He steals his eyes away from the gruesome sight and stares at the trail of blood, "does anyone fancy following that?"

TKDfirefly
2008-04-23, 04:57 PM
Trueno

"Ghouls." answers Trueno in a sobered voice. "Dear Procan. No one deserves that." Turning away Trueno continues, "We need to burn the body. Just in case..." His voice trails off. He goes not want to think any more about it.

Boggs
2008-04-26, 06:34 AM
Gil looks at the body and trail of blood. His right hand reaches to his rapier, "I'm not sure if we have much of a choice. If he kept a Kobold alive it must've been for a reason. Although, I don't know much of these ghouls... I know I don't fancy getting close to one," he glances down, realizing he is already gripping his rapier, "...yet I don't think I'm left with much of a choice."

TwoBitWriter
2008-05-06, 12:28 PM
You all hear more howling, a bit farther off this time but from more than one source now. It is followed by the familiar sound of gunfire and battle. You hear the kobolds yapping, almost in panic.

To anyone whose character knows Draconic:
The kobolds are basically yelling things like "What the hell are those things?" And "shoot them! Shoot them!" and also "There are too many of them, we need to get back to the ship!"

Serje
2008-05-06, 01:35 PM
Simone

"Well what've we got here..." Simone says in a voice about as loud as a mutter as he hears the conflict. "Sounds to me that those kobolds are in trouble, but thats all I can tell, anyone understand what theyre yapping about? Whatever it is we should go check things out, could be the opportunity we're after to grab that boat from under them."

Job
2008-05-06, 09:02 PM
Max

As the sound of the yapping passes over them, Max mouths back the syllables silently trying to decode them. A look of surprise crosses his face before he speaks.

“They are being attacked, and overrun by the ghouls! They are going to retreat; we need to head them off now!”

Before he can gage the response Max departs swiftly in the direction of the sounds.

ready to cast shield at the first indication of trouble

TKDfirefly
2008-05-07, 06:08 AM
Trueno

Scared by the sudden sounds of battle, Trueno jumps and looks away from the corpse. "Dear Procan. There are more than I could have thought." Shaking his head as if it helps to clear it, he continues, "Come on men. It is time we face this storm." Trueno starts to follow Max into the woods. While he is running, he begin to pull his holy symbol from his neck but pauses. He turns his backpack around and checks the front pocket. "It survived. I almost forgot about this." Trueno pulls a flask that glows from within and puts it his pocket. The crested wave starts to glow as if it too is preparing for a battle. Trueno seems excited and nervous of the coming fight.

Ready to cast Magic Weapon on the trident.

Serje
2008-05-07, 11:57 AM
Simone

"They're retreating?! Damn it!" Before following he quickly scoops up the kobolds equipment; slinging its belt over one of his shoulders as a makeshift and rather clunky bandoleer. Ensuring that the newfound pistol and dagger were securely fastened to himself Simone runs after the other two as they head towards the conflict, pulling back the hammer on his pistol as they do so, ready to fire the minute they see the kobolds.

Boggs
2008-05-17, 05:38 AM
Gil

"Retreating!? Damn... at least we have a speed advantage." Gil decides to take the rear of the group, opting to do what little he can to advancing Kobolds. His rapier readied, he draws the kukri from his boot and follows the other crew.

[roll0]
[roll1]