PDA

View Full Version : Monk Weapons

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-01, 09:37 PM
Should the list be expanded to include certain exotic weapons? Should the weapons on the existing list be updated to be more effective? This really isn't about the class itself so much as what everyone thinks would be an approriate addition to the "kung fu" expert's arsonal, yet currently is not. After watching the history channel for a few nights running, I'm still debating with myself over the value of the yo-yo and the flying guillotine. However, I think that items such as the sectional staff would be a really cool thematic addition to the flavor of the list. What say you?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 09:39 PM
The monk has great flavor, and many of their traditional weapons are included in expansions as monk weapons. Monks just need effective weapons, which they don't have right now.

Nebo_
2008-04-01, 09:40 PM
Secrets of Sarlona has lots of good new monk weapons, including the spinning sword, which is like a spiked chain on steroids.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-01, 09:45 PM
Except that you can't trip with it (If you could it would be the perfect weapon, period).

The ECS has the whirling steel strike feat that lets you use a longsword as a monk weapon, which is kind of nice. And there's one for the two-bladed sword too.

SilentNight
2008-04-01, 09:45 PM
Oriental adventures has a lot of monk weapons as well. What I cannot understand though is why a monk would use any of them in lieu of her unarmed strike unless they were fighting something with crazy DR.

Dode
2008-04-01, 09:52 PM
Monks need a weapon that can be flurried two-handed. Not light weapons, not double weapons.

That's it.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-01, 09:53 PM
SilentNight brings up a good point. I just figured monk weapons did whichever was higher between weapon damage or unarmed damage. Heck, one could argue for them to do both I suppose. I wish I had more of my books here as opposed to states away. I forgot about the OA book.

Also, stealing a bit from the passed out Drunken Master a bit here, but wouldn't improvised weapons be a neat addition? Lots of Jackie Chan styled antics open up that way. :smalltongue:

GammaPaladin
2008-04-01, 09:59 PM
Mostly monks use weapons for the +5/flaming, shocking, frost, sonic etc bonuses, which actually do end up adding up to more than the monk's base damage from unarmed.

Unless they've been hit with Giant Size and do damage on the colossal size table... But that's rather unlikely.