PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Wizards Tower, Need help

CyberRebirth
2008-04-02, 01:01 AM
I am going to be making a Wizards tower for my Fifth level PC's to go through, kill things, get treasure ect.

I need some help coming up with ideas for the Floors of the tower, and so far I only have 3 floors done.

Floor One: Living area, not much here exept the door to the rest of the tower.

Floor Two: The Library, full of old tomes and lots of Exploding Runes but no monsters.

Floor Three: A Dark room with a summoning ooze and a Sickening Sleep Living spell, the trap in this room is a bright light that dazzles creatures that use sight for a round.

I know I want to use an Encounter Trap, a-la Dungeonscape, and I know that the top floor will be the treasure vault. But I'm stuck on the rest, Can anyone help?

(I really hope I posted this in the right place)

Atticus Bleak
2008-04-02, 01:25 AM
Well, here's a question, where is the wizard? Fighting a wizard is always fun, especially if you make it some low-level magic using undead or something.

One of my favorite Traps was a room made to look like an observatory with sparkling lights all over the ceiling....as you enter they slowly cover your body, making a shining coat over you...when you leave it fills the doorway and anything passing through after is hit with a lightning spell. "Making of a Mage"
if your wondering. Other than that, the eternal room is always fun...they walk up the stairs and enter the same room, the only way out is to fix something or find another way up besides the door. or the balcony room, the room seems as big as the tower itself and the only floor is the balcony, an endless pit below it. the only way out is by climbing around the tower on balconies set ten feet up and around the tower till you reach the stairs to the next floor.

CyberRebirth
2008-04-02, 01:29 AM
I like those Ideas, though, I wanted to have the tower have been owned by a mischevious High level wizard that left it behind when he died. The treasure being a prize for a well deserved group of adventurers. So, I want lots of reality bending.

AugustNights
2008-04-02, 12:55 PM
My suggestions:

Each floor based on a school of magic:

Divination Floor-
Lots of gems that allow who or whatever is on top to spy down on the adventurers.
[ A raised pannel in the middle of the floor, with false arrow slots lining the walls, with spiked ceiling, and a pile of gold with such a gem on it can make adventurers spend hours looking for traps. ]

Conjuration Floor-
Puzzles to put blocks together or slide floor pannels, with the result being the doors opening but summoning circles are created causing several monsters or creatures to pour into the room. Conjuring beasts work well too. A curative pool may also be nice.

Enchantment Floor-
Wicked Nymphs
Suggestion Spires [ A rock that suggests you do something fairly stupid.]
Charming, or a dance hall with Irresistible Dance and big bruiser monster types. [ Animated Armors and such. ]

Illusion Floor-
Disguised Traps, Shadow Phantasm monsters, Doors that are just figments, false magical weapons, illusion made enemies. The possibilities for this floor are endless.

Transmutation Floor-
Half and half Enemies. [Look at Tauric template in SS]. Aberrations, and polymorphed creatures. Baleful polymorph traps. All sorts of animated objects, and shifting architecture.

Abjuration Floor-
Thick steel locked doors, spell areas of repulsion, Traps that gaurd rather than destroy. Heavy treasure chest with several abjurations spells on it. Heavily armored enemies, even some with globe of invulnerability.

Evocation Floor-
Everything has large amounts of power. Fireball towers, Lighting Spires, Magic Missile room traps, 100 Shocker Lizards in one room.

Necromancy Floor-
Undead, Lots of 'em. Symbols of Fear or Pain, and such. Blood draughts, and blight traps.

Universal Floor-
Wish Rubies in huge puzzles, every door has prestidigitation, and lots of arcane marks.

For other floors, might consider a Pets floor, for familiars and twisted experiments, or also a magic lab with animated tools, and half created golems, and such.

JackTR69
2008-04-02, 06:30 PM
Make a fake treasure room, where it looks like they've found the top of the tower and claimed the treasure for themselves, but every time they leave the rooms all the goodies they've grabbed disappear. Even better, make all the items in the room cursed items instead.

I do like the endless room idea, that would be a fun one to try to figure out.

Here's one I've used in some nasty mage style dungeons. You make a room with a large abyss in the middle, and a flight of stairs on the other side. When they enter the room, they find a note on the floor saying "That set of steps don't work anymore, use the others." The players then have to figure out that the stairs they can see are really a mimic (a monster that morphs itself into items) that has been bound to that spot, and that the real stairs in the middle of the room (invisible over the pit).

InnerLight
2008-04-02, 07:09 PM
On that note, what about a miniature hoard golem? Way better than cursed items, because it'll allow for more advancement and you can keep the treasure when you're done killing it.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-02, 07:47 PM
I am going to be making a Wizards tower for my Fifth level PC's to go through, kill things, get treasure ect.

I need some help coming up with ideas for the Floors of the tower, and so far I only have 3 floors done.

Floor One: Living area, not much here exept the door to the rest of the tower.

Floor Two: The Library, full of old tomes and lots of Exploding Runes but no monsters.

Floor Three: A Dark room with a summoning ooze and a Sickening Sleep Living spell, the trap in this room is a bright light that dazzles creatures that use sight for a round.

I know I want to use an Encounter Trap, a-la Dungeonscape, and I know that the top floor will be the treasure vault. But I'm stuck on the rest, Can anyone help?

(I really hope I posted this in the right place)
You probably want to change up that order; monsters, traps, and other defenses go on the first floor. A couple of reasons:

1) If I'm a monster, breaking in, I'm not going to skip all the nice comfortable stuff on the first floor, and leave it untouched.
2) If I'm a wizard chaining monsters to the defense of my tower, I'm going to arrange things so that anyone who wants to get to me or my stuff has to go through my defenses first - which means the monsters go on the entry floor - the first.

Either way, there's going to be monsters on the entry floor, not two floors away (although there will be critters on "lab" floors, either stuck in Calling Diagrams or experimental chambers).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-04-02, 08:12 PM
On that note, what about a miniature hoard golem? Way better than cursed items, because it'll allow for more advancement and you can keep the treasure when you're done killing it.

Yep. And I've actually got the Living Hoard stated out. It's here, if you want to take a look.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50413

Just take the basic thing, and down the HD and damage, and DR. It'll be an interesting climatic battle, if you want to be a sneaky bastard.

CyberRebirth
2008-04-02, 08:36 PM
All these ideas are really awesome, Thanks for helping!

Pronounceable
2008-04-03, 01:08 AM
I'm quite fond of fake door frames nailed to the walls. And multiple fake entry rooms. And room illusions on walls. And illusion floors covering pits. And the archway with utter blackness behind that turns out to be a giant sphere of annihilation, but that may be a bit extreme.

I've been designing a Tomb of More Horrors lately. Most of it is downright unfair. That said, here's some nasty stuff:

Corridor of Doors: There are many ordinary wooden doors all locked and trapped lining a corridor leading up to a massive reinforced one. There's writing that clearly states the large door is dangerous and should not be opened. All but one random, indistinguishable wooden door are fake with traps on wall behind that shoot spells (magic missile, acid arrow, fireball, etc) every round that the door is open. The massive door is easily openable. It is also fake. The wall behind it has a very (un)lifelike banshee picture, which hits all of the corridor with a wail of the banshee when door is opened.
They were warned... The real way out is the one real wooden door.

You can make this into one floor of the tower, placing the massive door where the previous floor's stairs up was. You can also show mercy and give them a clue about the one real wooden door.

Silver Pillar Room: The room is full of silver colored crystal pillars. There's a gong in the middle. Room has an entrance and an exit with no tricks whatsoever. The gong is magical. When struck, it makes a shrill soprano scream that cause a little damage. But it shatters all the pillars (which happen to be glass columns filled with molten silver) and the whole room is coated in silver. Treat molten silver as lava, with anyone killed by it turning into a silver statue. Pillars also shatter if they are hit.
Curiosity kills the cat.

Portal of Headology: An archway radiating magic. There's a huge plaque on the wall that clearly states the key to activate the portal is to not think about pink elephants.

And if you want to get nastier:
The Corpse Storage: There's a large circular pit room with hundreds of corpses in various states of decay in it. Corpses are piled so that the middle of the pit is empty. A very narrow walkway crosses above the empty strip of floor. There's a portcullis at the other end that immediately starts to close. Everyone can make it if they hurry. But when the middle of the bridge is reached, ghouls hiding in corpse mounds appear. They seem to be climbing the air on both sides of the bridge. The closing portcullis at the is revealed to be an illusion on the wall when someone reaches it (running into the wall headfirst may prove hazardous). The "walkway" also happens to be a solid wall (invisible except for the uppermost foot) with easy to use handholds that seperates the pit in two. Ghouls can climb on to anywhere on the "bridge".
The exit? Invisible handholds at the entrance that allow access to a higher level.

Liadel
2008-04-05, 12:11 PM
For a constant source of minor enemies, place a permenant gate or similar spell at the end of a long hallway that spawns Imps (CR 2) and Mephits (CR 3) every couple or three rounds.

PC's might do something agrivating to trap the enemies down the hall (wall spell, barricade, ect.) so place the stairs behind the gate.

Maybe require something from a previous floor to destroy the gate before continuing.