PDA

View Full Version : 102 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 92

Hyozo
2008-04-02, 10:16 PM
Of course Parson is spreading that lie. So easy yet so transparent.

As for the foolamancer, I say his name is Steve.

fractal
2008-04-02, 10:19 PM
As people predicted, Parson brought Charlie into it. Looks as well like he's trying to convince Ansom that his defenses are concentrated on the outer walls (and thus not on the tunnels).

Perhaps more interestingly, it appears that Stanley is not completely out of touch with the city. Sounds like a convincing reason for Parson to remain loyal (as indeed he seems to be).

Kyeudo
2008-04-02, 10:20 PM
Steve? That's a name for a jerk player, not a foolamancer.

I think Yorrick would be a better name, as it's thematicly appropriate.

As for the lie, it sounds too much like some turn based RPGs I've seen to be taken too lightly. Even a little doubt in an alliance can be disasterous.

Nargrakhan
2008-04-02, 10:20 PM
Damn that Tool!!! Parson was on a roll...

Parson clearly has one hell of a sharp mind, given that he keeps running into brick wall after brick wall, and still comes up with another plan.

I hope his enough of his bluff and insulting, will create the effect he needs to grasp victory. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Rockphed
2008-04-02, 10:22 PM
So far we have Maggie the thinkamancer and Misty the Lookamancer. Also Wanda the Croakamancer and Sizemore the Dirtamancer. Any paterns that arise?

yoshi927
2008-04-02, 10:22 PM
Actually, the Thinkamancer giving out might have been a good thing. He says he's been sending thinkagrams all day, wouldn't that tire her out?

hajo
2008-04-02, 10:23 PM
New strip is up !
Looks like thinkagrams can be interrupted, and when this happens, at the worst moment :smallamused:

Theodoriph
2008-04-02, 10:25 PM
Awesome! This strip was just made of awesome!

He concurrently makes Ansom more determined to attack through the tunnels, implicates Charlie with the "M'glad you think so!" (which was pure gold btw), and gets in another shot about Stanley and Charlie being superior to Ansom.

Nargrakhan
2008-04-02, 10:25 PM
Something I just noticed: Parson's last sentence that made it through to Ansom, might have been interpreted as a complete statement, rather than getting cut off. Instead of hearing, "I've been sending Thinkagrams all morning to..." Ansom might have heard, "I've been sending Thinkagrams all morning too." And then think Parson just cut the conversation right there.

Nice touch that one.

Kgummy
2008-04-02, 10:30 PM
Actually, the Thinkamancer giving out might have been a good thing. He says he's been sending thinkagrams all day, wouldn't that tire her out?
It's called a lie. He's making it SEEM like there's traitors.

Although, this way, it makes it seem like one of the traitors cut the thinkagram short, so they wouldn't be given away.

afroakuma
2008-04-02, 10:31 PM
Didn't totally like the "tiresome bluff" in question... Parson's better than that. Implicating Charlie was a brilliant move, though, and I concur that it can't go anywhere but up that the Thinkagram was cut off.

Question is, will Ansom be pissed off enough to go for the walls anyway? And if so, how far will his senior advisors have to go to con him into the tunnels?

Oh, that will play out nice when they get it wrong...

El_Chupacabra
2008-04-02, 10:36 PM
Is Parson continuing to hide his intelligence level? Some of his phrasing seems deliberately constructed to sound a bit dumb...

I'll surrender to my secret allies in your coalition

That doesn't sound smart, on the surface. And

Ewps. Did I let that slip?

Just sounds like he's either someone who is too dumb to keep a secret, or too cocky to care. And there's no good reason I see that Parson would present a cocky attitude about that.

Justyn
2008-04-02, 10:38 PM
Lesse... Parson references Transformers and Gilligan's Island directly, and I think that he made a Austin Powers reference in panel 4. And this is a decent reason as for why the Foolamancer's name has yet to be been reveiled...

hajo
2008-04-02, 10:39 PM
They could ask Sizemore where/when/how they got/hired/captured the foolamancer.

Nargrakhan
2008-04-02, 10:42 PM
Lesse... Parson references Transformers and Gilligan's Island directly, and I think that he made a Austin Powers reference in panel 4. And this is a decent reason as for why the Foolamancer's name has yet to be been reveiled...

What Parson said in Panel 4, is exactly the same thing Charlie had said to him.

More implication of Charlie... and of course if the question comes up of who'd have the kind of power to just cut a Thinkagram: Charlie obviously would.

afroakuma
2008-04-02, 10:44 PM
Now... the coalition leaders who were present all KNOW they didn't receive Thinkagrams fro Parson... so Ansom sharing that tidbit will likely shoot him in the ankle big time, as well as implicating only those coalition factols wihout an emissary present.

It occurs to me that one of the most important of those would of course be Charlie.

El_Chupacabra
2008-04-02, 10:44 PM
Is the magical "transmission" of a Thinkagram detectable?

If so, and Ansom has any way of detecting their usage in a Turn -- perhaps just the "carrier signal" or its magical aftereffects in the "ether" -- he could probably confirm at least that some had occurred, possibly even detecting Maggie and Stanley's communication and wondering about its message.

afroakuma
2008-04-02, 10:45 PM
*double post, sorry*

lamguin
2008-04-02, 10:53 PM
I'd wager that the foolamancer came from FAQ, along with Wanda. And no one else there knows his name. But she does. Which means she'll likely stay in her zonked out state to heighten the drama. I've also been re-reading, and it looks like her mind snapped when Stanley got pissed, not when Jillian broke the suggestion. Maybe her "distraction" wasn't that much of a sacrifice. Also, it looks like Parson's size is definitely being transmitted, and Ansom doesn't seem to care.

El_Chupacabra
2008-04-02, 10:54 PM
Is Parson continuing to hide his intelligence level?

Oh, and I just noticed the Mathamancy Gauntlet is not on his wrist anymore. More disinformation on his intelligence level; if Charlie and Ansom ever conference, Charlie might mention that Parson's a Mathamancer, confusing and alienating Ansom even more. Or, Ansom may not understand why Parson's doing so well and assume that someone's helping him fight.

Erm. Wait. Wrong Arm.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-02, 10:55 PM
Now... the coalition leaders who were present all KNOW they didn't receive Thinkagrams fro Parson... so Ansom sharing that tidbit will likely shoot him in the ankle big time, as well as implicating only those coalition factols wihout an emissary present.

It occurs to me that one of the most important of those would of course be Charlie.

Ahhh, but they don't know that the others didn't recieve think-o-grams as well. So by revealing the message all Ansom would do is spread doubt among the entire coalition... after all no one would actually admit to recieveing such a message.

Vince3
2008-04-02, 11:02 PM
So far we have Maggie the thinkamancer and Misty the Lookamancer. Also Wanda the Croakamancer and Sizemore the Dirtamancer. Any paterns that arise?

Since the girls in the triangle lock had names that began with an M and ended with an "e" sound I suggest that the Foolmancer is named Mikey!

Ink
2008-04-02, 11:04 PM
^^You're right, there. Rather like a game of Werewolf, no? :smallwink:

It's too bad for Stanley that he doesn't practise Parson's habit of asking and remembering his employees' names.

fractal
2008-04-02, 11:08 PM
I'd wager that the foolamancer came from FAQ, along with Wanda. And no one else there knows his name. But she does. Which means she'll likely stay in her zonked out state to heighten the drama.
I had the same thought.

I've also been re-reading, and it looks like her mind snapped when Stanley got pissed, not when Jillian broke the suggestion.
Possibly. If so, does that imply that it wasn't her spell on Jillian breaking that got her, but instead the snapping of a spell on Stanley himself? It's certainly not out of character for her to have cast one, although casting on one's overlord could be troublesome. However, it's possible that she might have cast it on him back in FAQ, pre-dating such overlordship (and facilitating her acquisition of the position as Stanley's #2).

Quimper
2008-04-02, 11:08 PM
My guess goes to the fool being named "Tom". As in "Tom's a fool" ^^

rosebud
2008-04-02, 11:14 PM
It's curious -- so he can surrender. But still faithful.

Sizemore seems the obvious helper on name and Bogroll the wildcard. Which of the magics might elicit a name, or is this just a wrong end anyhow.

I still don't see why he was playing as full enemy, though. The other was too obvious, and it could just backfire and help the coalition.

the_tick_rules
2008-04-02, 11:15 PM
i feel like there are some panels missing. There feels like some continuity errors. Never mind I figured it out. So has stanley considered hug therapy?

DCR
2008-04-02, 11:21 PM
... 101 - Uber awesome from Parson. 102 - eh, he slips. Woulda been nice to see if his endgame on the call would match the start, thereby passing over the uninspired middle. I'm guessing that it would've. Parson's a table top gamer, and 3/4 of that is playing your opponents. Ooo, table top gaming Parson! Playing against OR with him would be very fun and very challenging. Time to re-read the entire archive.

Ganurath
2008-04-02, 11:29 PM
In Ansom's head: The thinkagram cut out. His Thinkamancer must be worn out... but why? Has he really been contacting my allies?

hajo
2008-04-02, 11:29 PM
the coalition leaders who were present all KNOW they didn't receive Thinkagrams fro Parson...
But they couldn't hear Parson's part of the conversation.

Charlie refused to turn coat because it would hurt his reputation. If he were (falsely) accused, and the contract broken by Ansom, he would be fine with that - maybe after some haggling about his payment :smallamused:

memnarch
2008-04-02, 11:37 PM
Hm, Stanley seems to have calmed down a bit. Didn't expect that to occur given the panel on the previous page.

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-02, 11:47 PM
Foolamancers name : Uwe Boll

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-02, 11:48 PM
Hm, Stanley seems to have calmed down a bit. Didn't expect that to occur given the panel on the previous page.

He's calmer because he's confused, he can't remember the foolamancer's name. That's what he gets for treating his people like crap (sorry Sizemore)

Wender
2008-04-02, 11:48 PM
... 101 - Uber awesome from Parson. 102 - eh, he slips.

We don't actually know what he was doing, since he was cut off in mid-sentence. That bluff was far too ham-fisted to have been the actual tactic.

I was imagining a feint: Give Ansom enough information to figure out which member of the alliance you've had a "secret dialog" with. Let him call your bluff. Next turn, open up a secret dialog with that member of the alliance. See how long it takes Mr. Most Intelligent and Fit to Lead to a) realize, and b) admit that he got played.

But that's just speculation pulled out of thin air. As it is, Parson have to step back from his plans and spend some time gaming out what Ansom heard and how he might have reacted to it. As others have pointed out, the timing of that interruption was just about perfect. If Ansom falls for it and Parson realizes it, he gains an advantage.

But if Ansom suspects Charlie, and goes to him enraged that Charlie is trying to play both sides, Charlie might not be happy with Parson at all. As he explained, it's bad for business, and business with Team Ansom is working out quite well for him so far. In that case, Parson has some serious damage control to do.

Meanwhile, Stanley is still an obtuse buffoon.

Zienth
2008-04-02, 11:56 PM
It seems to me like the foolamancer should be named "Jack".

Zienth

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-02, 11:59 PM
Now... the coalition leaders who were present all KNOW they didn't receive Thinkagrams from Parson...

yes but now that the doubt has been placed, even if nobody recieved thinkagrams from parson, if they asked everybody if they had, they'd all (honestly) say no. HOWEVER, just by Parson saying this places doubt in everyones heart. They know it wasn't them that got the thinkagram, so it must be somebody else, and whoever it is would have been lying (if they were asked and said no). So, do you see why he did this?

BarGamer
2008-04-03, 12:08 AM

Wanda's name is a DND pun: "Wand of Fireball." Jillian's name might also be a pun, but I can't place it, or I'm possibly misspelling it: "Jilli and the muscles." Prince Ansom is a sorta pun on "Prince Charming," except in this case, it's "Handsome." It's safe to say that most everyone's name is some kind of joke or other, only a few of which we "get," but to extrapolate that to speculate the Foolamancer's name, is kind of... silly.

But Tom Fool DOES sound pretty funny. XD

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 12:10 AM
We don't actually know what he was doing, since he was cut off in mid-sentence. That bluff was far too ham-fisted to have been the actual tactic.

Parson originally wanted to talk to each of the Coalition leaders. The attempt to make Ansom think he's done so is a fallback plan when he found out he only has one more call.

I agree that it's a bit too obvious for anyone to fall for outright, but if strains appear in the Coalition -- and especially if other leaders start pressing Ansom's hot buttons as a result -- he might prefer to believe that his allies are betraying him than that he's losing because the Titans aren't on his side after all.

IronMouse
2008-04-03, 12:12 AM

Or Ansom will assume those denying they have been in contact with Parson via thinkgram are lying to him

IronMouse
2008-04-03, 12:17 AM
I'd wager that the foolamancer came from FAQ, along with Wanda. And no one else there knows his name. But she does. Which means she'll likely stay in her zonked out state to heighten the drama. I've also been re-reading, and it looks like her mind snapped when Stanley got pissed, not when Jillian broke the suggestion. Maybe her "distraction" wasn't that much of a sacrifice. Also, it looks like Parson's size is definitely being transmitted, and Ansom doesn't seem to care.

You bring up a fascinating point.

Maybe Wanda had more than one suggestion spell going on. She has demonstrated she can ignore Stanley’s orders both for a good reasons and for very bad reasons. Why is it not possible she was manipulating Stanley just like she has been manipulating Jillian. Maggie’s assessment of Wanda’s skills at defending her own mind against the backlash of such a spell breaking could be way off base it was just two such spells snapping back to back that did Wanda in

slayerx
2008-04-03, 12:33 AM

Actually, if you look at the first panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0078.html) you can see that Jillian looks like she's stumbling around... meaning it looks she snapped before Stanely got pissed off, but sometime after Stanely order'd Jillian to be croaked and Ansom saved her...

Thing is, i could be that even by choosing to fight the dwagons, Jillian was still within the bounds of the spell... however, when ansom saved jillian, she had a classic "knight in shining armor" moment and at the moment thought ONLY of Ansom and thus shattered the suggestion spell; at that moment, she finally chose Ansom over wanda

THAT, or the spell didn't offically break until the battle was over, as Jillian still had a chance mid battle to do what would favor wanda or something... though i still think wanda COULD have blocked the backlash from the broken spell, but chose not to since the alternative would hurt Jillian... ^^

rkyeun
2008-04-03, 12:47 AM
The ally gambit sows seeds of distrust if believed, and the "oops" part makes it an obvious lie. Surely Parson isn't that stupid?
Of course Parson isn't that stupid. You ALL started thinking about if Ansom would believe the ally lie or not --

And completely stopped wondering about the tunnels vs the walls.
Just like Ansom.

Covering a subtle obvious bluff with an obvious subtle bluff. Classic.

Aquillion
2008-04-03, 01:14 AM
Ooo, ooo, I know who would probably remember the Foolamancer's name!

Misty. Let's go ask her.

Nerd_Paladin
2008-04-03, 01:14 AM
I dunno, I wonder sometimes if Parson is as smart as we all think he is. All of his plans thus far have failed, after all. That's not neccesarily his fault, but it's not a good track record, and what evidence do we actually have that he's as clever as he/we think he is? Just because he's the main character? Because he can munchkin around the game rules (with little lasting effect)?

factotum
2008-04-03, 01:54 AM
I wonder if this "say their name to bring them back" option will work for Wanda?

warmachine
2008-04-03, 02:02 AM
Obvious troll is obvious. Still, it'll make Ansom more angry and increase the chance he'll do something stupid.

Keldaria
2008-04-03, 02:14 AM
Is Parson continuing to hide his intelligence level? Some of his phrasing seems deliberately constructed to sound a bit dumb...

I'll surrender to my secret allies in your coalition

That doesn't sound smart, on the surface. And

Ewps. Did I let that slip?

Just sounds like he's either someone who is too dumb to keep a secret, or too cocky to care. And there's no good reason I see that Parson would present a cocky attitude about that.

yet its the perfict bait .. as far as the prince knows parsons an idiot commander. And parson's playing his cards perfictly. As mentioned before the Prince is too self absorbed to realize that Stanley or any of his leadership corps were capable of laying a trap for him .. thats why he walked into the center of the dragons and thats why he's gonna fall into parsons hands yet agian.

My personal opinon is this time its check mate. The prince is gonna start being suspicious of everyone, prolly even miss barbarian for spending that extra movement to circle around (and conspire with the enemy) last turn.

He's also gonna push hard into the tunnels instead of making for the walls where parsons likely got most the garason stationed.

Yep he's playing right into parsons hands, only this time he's directly manipulating the Prince and not relying on some spell bound go between that could break control at any second

Keldaria
2008-04-03, 02:17 AM
I wonder if this "say their name to bring them back" option will work for Wanda?

wanda wasn't damaged in the same type of link.. the foolamancer lost his sence of self by having his mind body and will connected to 2 other casters. Wanda on the other hand was controling the mind of someone else.

Kanthalion
2008-04-03, 02:26 AM
Hmmm. It seems it was not Parson's intent, but I think the heavy handed "subterfuge" and the call broke off in mid message may just play to his advantage.

As we are well aware, Ansom has a low view of the Tools intelligence, and I am sure that would extend to anyone below the Tool--including Parson. I don't think it would be much of a stretch for Ansom to be even more inclined to believe the truth of Parson's claims because he thinks Stanly cut off Parson's message for Parson telling Ansom too much about their "secret" plans.

I hope the above made sense, cause it is 1:30 am here and I should have been in bed hours ago.

Rockphed
2008-04-03, 02:33 AM
It made enough sense.

plainsfox
2008-04-03, 03:02 AM
Hrrm...maybe Charlie did put the idea in Parson's head....the first thing that Charlie said to Parson after introductions was to inquire if Parson was going for terms of surrender.

Scutatus
2008-04-03, 06:37 AM
Cutting out the message at that point actually could not have worked better. I would say that it will likely have more constructive(destructive) effects than Parson would have managed if he'd finished.

People will willingly follow someone they adore or respect, but with the suggestion of the archentool wielders having "higher authority" reason for doubt was planted amongst the allies. And Ansom showed some of his true colours in response, which will give others even further cause for concern. Together that may well be enough for some of the allies to question their loyalties.

Parson was about to name names or say something like sending mesages " to your leaders". But this way, Ansom will be suspicious of absolutely everyone. Such suspicions will grow to distrust. Ultimately, Ansom potentially could now seriously damage his own cause from within via his own paranoia and accusations. It's been known to happen amongst proud royal types who have their "divine royal authority" questioned or who come to believe in themselves too much. Both just happened.

Unable to rely on anyone he will potentially spend more time and resources in suspiciously monitoring his forces instead of actually fighting the fight. Which in itself will fuel the resentment and doubt he would be trying to stamp out. With Parson only suggesting that some are questioning his authority, Ansom's response could ensure that many actually do! His own actions could result in the very thing he wanted to find and stop. It would be self fulfilling on Ansom's part.

How will such a proud egotystical megalomaniac king respond to his people doubting his authority and thinking for themselves? History would demonstrate that in such cases the monarch sometimes overreacts and becomes a paranoid unappreciative tyrant, ruling by the iron fist instead of by respect and authority. Will Ansom do this? Will he try to keep his allies in line by becoming a tyrant? In such a case his followers are likely to start leaving. What ever happens trouble will be afoot.

Parson just planted some fantastic seeds that could turn the whole tide of the war. Way to go Parson.

Hyozo
2008-04-03, 06:59 AM
Steve? That's a name for a jerk player, not a foolamancer.

I think Yorrick would be a better name, as it's thematicly appropriate.

As for the lie, it sounds too much like some turn based RPGs I've seen to be taken too lightly. Even a little doubt in an alliance can be disasterous.

Yorrick!?!?!?!?!?!?:smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Sorry, just getting out of the Hamlet unit with an english teacher who makes a big deal about EVERYTHING. I don't want to hear any more about Yorrick. A name people actually have would be better.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-03, 07:03 AM
If the foolamancer's name isn't something out of King Lear (which is likely) it will either be "Rumplestiltskin" or "Tim".

Alexei P
2008-04-03, 07:07 AM
Any reason Stanley can't simply get the Foolamancer's name by checking his stat block (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html)?

stsasser
2008-04-03, 07:15 AM
It seems to me like the foolamancer should be named "Jack".

Zienth

He's a few cards short of a lucky deck.

zeropsm
2008-04-03, 07:24 AM
Jillian offcourse!

who've been captured a dozen times?
who knew of parson?
who's trying to fake royalty to fall on the leader's grace?

I'm expecting a mean look on next strip.

ps.:Damn Stanley...i wanted to heal all that thinkagram!

Generalissimus
2008-04-03, 07:30 AM
What Parson said in Panel 4, is exactly the same thing Charlie had said to him.

More implication of Charlie... and of course if the question comes up of who'd have the kind of power to just cut a Thinkagram: Charlie obviously would.

I totally agree with you. Maybe Stanley (being as he is, "somewhere between Gilligan and Starscream") has made an involuntary good move calling Maggie.

If Ansom begins suspecting Charlie (who is revealed, finally,as a commoner), maybe not all is lost for GK.

Templar
2008-04-03, 07:34 AM
The Gilligan gag rocked.

Parson's arrogant condescension in 102 is serving to get Ansom even more riled, which I think is what he's going for. An opponent who's worked up and wants to smash your face in in a homicidal rage is far more likely to make a mistake. It's like talking boop during hoops on the playground or acting like a cocky jerk at any tabletop game. You're booping off the other players to get them to stop thinking clearly. Even when you can see through it, it's still going to bother you, I think.

PePe QuiCoSE
2008-04-03, 07:37 AM
the Fool's name should be April. Quite appropriate for the past date :smalltongue:
Oh, and note that the Maggie calls Stanley directly Tool and not Lord or Overlord. I guess that's natural Thinkamancy since she was not present when Stanley accepted his higher calling, and i doubt that he had told everyone about his new title.
Though it would be too good to be true, Vinnie has been the first one to question Ansom about the royalty thing and the attune(ment?) to the arkentools. If by chance Ansom starts doubting Vinnie... well, he loses so far his greatest advisor and is going to fall for the trap this time.

Lolindir
2008-04-03, 07:41 AM
Name-speculation-mode!

His name might just be rapunselstick-thingie... don't know, I'm Dutch...
sizeMore (add More Size to Gobwin Knob?), Maggie, Misty, Wanda
So, a W is the opposite of M (Mario-Wario). Wanda is from another faction, and has the opposite kind of letter as the rest. If the foolamancer is also from another faction, it might have another starting letter (Or also a W if he's from FAQ)

You bring up a fascinating point.
Maybe Wanda had more than one suggestion spell going on. She has demonstrated she can ignore Stanley’s orders both for a good reasons and for very bad reasons. Why is it not possible she was manipulating Stanley just like she has been manipulating Jillian. Maggie’s assessment of Wanda’s skills at defending her own mind against the backlash of such a spell breaking could be way off base it was just two such spells snapping back to back that did Wanda in
She might have done so when she had to stop Stanley to enter Parsons 'control room', when the latter was about to pull of the Dwagon-Donut-stunt. With a suggestion spell, she might be able to calm Stanley down enough to NOT outburst and fire Parson!

'nother point: Maggie said she never LEARNED the foolamancer's name. This means units cán learn... (Okay, this point is worthless...)

lamguin
2008-04-03, 07:57 AM
Any reason Stanley can't simply get the Foolamancer's name by checking his stat block (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html)?

1: Plot. If he could just look at him and see his name, what would be the point of even mentioning all this?

2: A Foolamancer, even a broken one, likely has some innate method of hiding his stats.

3: It makes Wanda that much more important to bring back, thus ensuring that she'll stay down until the critical moment (see my previous post).

4: Because name guessing games are fun (see Rumplestiltskin).

5: Why are there five of these?

6: Please god, somebody stop me.

7: Halp!

8: Tin-Foil Hat time. I bet his name is ... *dramatic pause* ... SALINE V! The real heir of the old king! There's likely some rule stating that 'mancers can't rule, so Saline IV's wish for an heir got booped up. So he picked Stanley, his most successful warlord.

Lolindir
2008-04-03, 07:59 AM
Also, if Ansom starts distrusting Jillian now, (Going around GK, getting captured a lot), he might not even send her after Stanley! He might think she just wants to meet her new boss. Also remember she stated that 'she is free to choose her friends' and stuff... She also said she 'hated' Stanley, which would be the best decoy, so everything now adds up AGAINST her, even if she wants to be good...

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 08:12 AM
2: A Foolamancer, even a broken one, likely has some innate method of hiding his stats.

Or maybe his stat display is booped up because of his condition.

Or maybe his actual name (as displayed in the stat block) is one Stanley doesn't like (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0024.html), and he won't accept it.

PePe QuiCoSE
2008-04-03, 08:31 AM
IMO he's stats just show "Foolamancer", since that's what everyone calls him.
Bogroll doesn't have another calling, so that what appears in his stats. Same as Misty and Maggie. Remember, Misty said "Name? Just "Lookamancer" now. Was called Misty", which could imply that her stat could have previously shown Misty (Lookamancer) and now was just Lookamancer.

That could also be tied to why people make such a fuzz about titles.

edit: quote

Taross
2008-04-03, 08:39 AM
IMO he's stats just show "Foolamancer", since that's what everyone calls him.
Bogroll doesn't have another calling, so that what appears in his stats. Same as Misty and Maggie. Remember, Misty said "Name? Just "Lookamancer" now. Was called Misty", which could imply that her stat could have previously shown Misty (Lookamancer) and now was just Lookamancer.

That could also be tied to why people make such a fuzz about titles.

edit: quote

All that just makes me imagine that people like Stanley and Ansom have this Final Fantasy style naming screen pop up when they meet someone.

Name your warlord:
PARS<
LORD HAMSTER OK<

Calemyr
2008-04-03, 08:58 AM
When it comes to the foolamancer's name, my money is on Feste. You don't get much more maliciously silly than him. Well... perhaps Puck...

I agree that Stanley's call was very well timed. Not only does this add credence to his claims (giving the impression that the overworked thinkamancer was too tired to finish one last message), but the incomplete nature of that last sentence is going to stick in Ansom's mind like a splinter.

The whole "Ewps" thing makes him look either stupid (he does look like a twoll after all) or confident. Either way is good, as Parson can play him like a harp in the first case or watch as he becomes excessively paranoid in the latter. Between being outmanuevered in the Dwagon Donut gambit and witnessing Ansom's little outburst, the coalition is going to be acting at least a little funny around Ansom already. If Ansom starts buying the paranoia, he could single handedly end the coalition himself. It's amazing how quickly a leader can go from "champion of the downtrodden" to "self-righteous, war-hungry prick" in the eye of the world...

Oh, and that's one more sublte push to get Ansom to attack through the tunnels. I wonder how long it will be before Vinny manages to convince Ansom that it's a trap. I just don't see the Vin-man buying it.

fendrin
2008-04-03, 10:09 AM
Except Vinny wasn't in on this call. only Ansom can see it. Think about it like a telephone. You only get half the conversation. For instance, when Stanley calls Maggie, Parson only hears what Maggie says.

Speaking of which...

How exactly did Stanley call Maggie???

Unless he can order her to call him even when she is out of ear-shot, and she (via natural thinkamancy) knows, and is compelled to obey? Ansom needs the hats, but that could be because he was communicating with a non-thinkamancer.

That kind of 'spooky action at a distance' is essentially what happens when you play a TBS game, so it is thematically appropriate, but it also does add a huge level of significance that needs to be accounted for when speculating. For instance, Stanley could disband parson et al regardless of whether or not he is at GK...

Ptorquemada
2008-04-03, 10:21 AM
I think it's possible that Ansom may think what happened is what actually did happen: Stanley interrupted the call. Except intentionally, as in "My warlord is revealing we have allies in the coalition! Cut the thinkagram! Cut it NOW!"

He can't think Stanley would let one of his units make an important call like that unsupervised. Nobody could possibly be that dumb! So ... Stanley didn't want him to know this ... and that means what the troll was saying is TRUE ... and he cut it JUST before that moron of a warlord told him exactly whom to suspect!

Stanley MAY have just done the most useful thing he could possibly have done by interrupting at that moment. Parson thinks Ansom was buying it up to that point, and having the thinkagram cut off doesn't really hurt its credibility for the reasons given above.

Frictional
2008-04-03, 10:32 AM
Quick, marginally off-topic question: Was Jillian ever really Suggestion-spelled by Wanda? I had never thought that until I read the forums; I always thought it looked like there was just a long history of friendship (probably more) between Wanda and Jillian, and Wanda was using that friendship to get all sorts of things out of Jillian, and when Jillian betrayed her it was more of a total shock to Wanda that she would betray her, rather than a suggestion spell being broken. Did I miss some big piece of evidence that 100% lets us know that it was a spell? All the comic chars talk like it is, but they don't know the 'special' relationship between Jillian and Wanda.
Anyway.
So we see what is possibly the true side of Ansom, in the last comic and this one. What's it that people say... "You want to see the true side of someone, watch how they treat their subordinates, rather than their superiors." Something like that. Ansom is straight up furious at these affronts to his royal right to rule, and all the other coalition leaders around are seeing a side they probably don't see too often. Leads me to wonder which ones are going to put up with it, knew about it and already put up with it, and which are going to say screw it, I aint followin you. Especially if Ansom, with doubts as to their loyalty cause of Parson's thinkagram, starts to accuse people and became tyrannical and suspicious of everyone.

Oslecamo
2008-04-03, 10:58 AM
I admire Lord Hamster's willingness to go to the end.

If it was me, I would be now negotiating the surrender terms, saying Stanley forced us to fight under the menace of the dwagons. And then I would spend the next years secretly building an army and then conquer everything hehe.

Meh Hamster is playing big risk big reward. Ansom seems to be highly pissed off. It's possible that he'll know change to berseker mode and waste units, untill the other coalition leaders decide he's no longer fit to lead them, and everybody leave because Gobwin Knob just isn't worth the effort. And then Hasmter can start rebuilding his army.

Men, I really expect Hamster to rise to big things in this story. Altough it will probably take some real life years for it to happen, at this pace.

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 10:58 AM
Quick, marginally off-topic question: Was Jillian ever really Suggestion-spelled by Wanda? I had never thought that until I read the forums; I always thought it looked like there was just a long history of friendship (probably more) between Wanda and Jillian, and Wanda was using that friendship to get all sorts of things out of Jillian, and when Jillian betrayed her it was more of a total shock to Wanda that she would betray her, rather than a suggestion spell being broken. Did I miss some big piece of evidence that 100% lets us know that it was a spell? All the comic chars talk like it is, but they don't know the 'special' relationship between Jillian and Wanda.
We know that she cast some kind of spell before the interrogation session, but that apparently wore off at dawn (and hit Jillian with some incapacitating aftereffects, but less severely than what happened to Wanda or the two backlashed Eyemancers). If what happened to Wanda was just an emotional breakdown rather than spell backlash -- well, apparently the two states resemble each other so closely that a specialist Thinkamancer can't tell them apart or notice anything odd when she expected the latter and found the former.

Interesting theory, but I'm still going to have to fall back on the maxim that "Occam's Razor" isn't a tool in Wanda's interrogation kit. :smallsmile:

Anyway.
So we see what is possibly the true side of Ansom, in the last comic and this one. What's it that people say... "You want to see the true side of someone, watch how they treat their subordinates, rather than their superiors." Something like that. Ansom is straight up furious at these affronts to his royal right to rule, and all the other coalition leaders around are seeing a side they probably don't see too often. Leads me to wonder which ones are going to put up with it, knew about it and already put up with it, and which are going to say screw it, I aint followin you. Especially if Ansom, with doubts as to their loyalty cause of Parson's thinkagram, starts to accuse people and became tyrannical and suspicious of everyone.

The bluff, by itself, on one step above "Your shoe's untied". However, if Parson can pull off another tactical trick that puts Ansom in a bind, and he has the option of explaining the debacle by:

1) I'm not really smarter, stronger, or more morally fit
2) The Titans are not on my side in this war, or
3) My allies stabbed me in the back

...well, Door #3 is going to look awfully tempting.

Nolan
2008-04-03, 11:07 AM
Ok, we have to remember that the creatures on Parson's side are usually the stereotypical "Bad guys" and that Parson himself has called Stanley's side on of the bad guys.

Its a common "bad guy" tactic to have an inside man or double agents, this suspicion is further enhanced because Ansom wants to believe that he's fighting against a pure evil, unatural force, so he's going to always assume the worst about his enemies.

Especially as it plays to the sterotype that Ansom himself is living by, for the message to be cut off actually will work to further Lord Hamster's cause as it leaves Ansom unsure of the information Parson is letting "slip"

This will then cause him to interrogate his own people if they have had any dealings with Lord Hamster, which they will of course deny.

And the more they deny, the more Ansom will be paranoid of someone being on Parson's side, because thats what he believes the "bad guys" would do.

On a side note, to further the suspicion, vampires are usually on the evil alignment of things, and there's such a person who works exceptionally hard to show loyalty to Ansom, this could in fact be the person Ansom suspects the most because of the highly visible loyalty Vinnie has shown.

P.S. First post:smallbiggrin:

Tarnace
2008-04-03, 12:47 PM
Im not usually a big fan of this toon, usually only reading it after being unable to find a new order of the stick toon. Recently I took a few weeks off of web toons to fly to a remote part in asia were internet wasn't that common (or good when it was). Since my return I flipped through the issues of erf that I missed and I realized that I didnt have any problems about the new comics. They were inviting, drew in the reader, and have lots of good ideas and character reactions - I actually liked the last few toons...I'm almost impressed. I hope you keep this up (while mentaly killing any ideas of having blogs return soon, we are "up to date enough" thank you).

Emo Samurai
2008-04-03, 01:35 PM
the Fool's name should be April. Quite appropriate for the past date :smalltongue:
Oh, and note that the Maggie calls Stanley directly Tool and not Lord or Overlord. I guess that's natural Thinkamancy since she was not present when Stanley accepted his higher calling, and i doubt that he had told everyone about his new title.
Though it would be too good to be true, Vinnie has been the first one to question Ansom about the royalty thing and the attune(ment?) to the arkentools. If by chance Ansom starts doubting Vinnie... well, he loses so far his greatest advisor and is going to fall for the trap this time.

Refer to page 71, panel 6. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0077.html)

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 01:38 PM
Refer to page 71, panel 6. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0077.html)

Er... I'm not sure what Manpower's head going SPUT! has to do with the topic. Did you mean to point to something else?

PePe QuiCoSE
2008-04-03, 01:43 PM
yes, he only responded to
Oh, and note that the Maggie calls Stanley directly Tool and not Lord or Overlord. I guess that's natural Thinkamancy since she was not present when Stanley accepted his higher calling, and i doubt that he had told everyone about his new title.I really hadn't noticed that he was called Tool in front of the Trio, though i doubt that such a thing of a change of title would be caught up just by listening to it. Either way, it's not really important.

Prowl
2008-04-03, 01:52 PM
The color scheme lends me to speculate whether he is the Foolamancer formerly known as "Prince".

Which then brings us back into the context of the comic, and ask: Prince of what, exactly?

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-03, 01:58 PM
The color scheme lends me to speculate whether he is the Foolamancer formerly known as "Prince".

Which then brings us back into the context of the comic, and ask: Prince of what, exactly?

perhaps the kingdom that stanley took over? or , as it has been speculated, another caster from the kingom of FAQ

Proteus
2008-04-03, 02:05 PM
The Foolamancer formerly known as Prnice, eh?

8: Tin-Foil Hat time. I bet his name is ... *dramatic pause* ... SALINE V! The real heir of the old king! There's likely some rule stating that 'mancers can't rule, so Saline IV's wish for an heir got booped up. So he picked Stanley, his most successful warlord.

Its so crazy it just might work!

teratorn
2008-04-03, 02:16 PM
perhaps the kingdom that stanley took over? or , as it has been speculated, another caster from the kingom of FAQ

He does look like the guy close to Wanda in FAQ.

Kaeledra
2008-04-03, 02:29 PM
I think the Foolamancer's name is "Billy" As in William (Billy) Shakespeare. I know it doesn't really relate to Maggie and Misty, but it would make sense with all the stuff he spouts off.

TheWombat
2008-04-03, 02:40 PM
I think that if the foolamancer's name isn't April, then it should be Puck.

DeathQuaker
2008-04-03, 02:53 PM
My random Shakespeare guess for the Foolamancer's name is "Touchstone."

"All the world's a game, and the men and women merely players..."

Agh, it's getting interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.... agh the suspense! Why do I read?

Zienth
2008-04-03, 03:00 PM
Anyone remember Jack Nicholson's character (Randle Patrick McMurphy) from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? Look familiar? I think the Foolamancer's name is either Jack or Randle. I think Randle sounds more Erfish.

Zienth

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 03:10 PM
Hmmm... I see three possible ways for Ansom to respond to this gambit:

1. Ignore it: Total fail for Parson, and it even takes the edge off his earlier success at pushing Ansom's hot buttons (it's easier to just ignore someone who comes across as an idiot).

2. Mull it over without mentioning it to anybody: This avoids the obvious risks of fracturing the Coalition, but creates more subtle and insidious ones if Ansom can't let go of suspicion.

3. Air it openly: Obviously, everybody else will deny being in communication with the enemy, but they'd say that in any case. The worst case for Parson is that everybody quickly agrees that it's a bluff. The best case for Parson is that accusations fly back and forth, probably with several fingers pointed at Jillian (which I'm sure would go over really well with Ansom).

Morchaint
2008-04-03, 03:28 PM
dont usually post in this webcomic thing, but I couldnt help it when I laughed my boop off, at the gilligan/starscream comment. gotta be the right age group to fully laugh at all of it. Foolamancers name? recnamaloof.

PePe QuiCoSE
2008-04-03, 03:41 PM
Thing is, Parson admitted that it was a bluff immediately when Ansom said it, the following bluff is what really gets Ansom: "Others are thinking it over". If Ansom plans to be open about it, he might be the one to put the doubt in his allies about royalty, the arkentools and who they attune to.
Really, i hope this puts distance between Vinnie and Ansom. While the first time Vinnie advice Ansom, it was to get Jillian back (to whom he has some suspicion). The second time, his advice was not good and was Ansom personal gamble that saved his keister. And again, Vinnie has been the only one to "see the writing in the wall" (don't know if that's a reference to something). I think again it's too good to be true (Parson does not get lucky shot in this game :smalltongue:) but it's quite plausible.
Ansom might not be open to all of the Coalition about this thinkagram, but surely he will be to the people close to him, like Jillian and Vinnie.

edit: btw, both last strips ended with a cut away to Stanley... not if that has any meaning or even worth mentioning.

Runolfr
2008-04-03, 04:16 PM
I'm liking "Tom" for the name of the Foolamancer. Is anyone else familiar with the phrase "Tom Foolery"?

kilmor
2008-04-03, 04:19 PM

Jillian specifically says 'they had a good Foolamancer' in her FAQ flashback. So probably Wanda and Jillian are the only two that know his name. Fun times ahead!

Lamech
2008-04-03, 04:46 PM
I think Parson might be trying to push Ansom into the tunnels with this. Parson says "you won't even make it through the outer wall". The first thing this says is "we expect a wall attack". Two, this makes it seem like Parson knows the battle plan, which Ansom or Vinny should guess after they learn about the thinkamancer. So a very easily made conclusion is the walls are heavily defended. Also since Parson was cocky, arrogent, and bad at bluffing, Ansom might decide the arrogence is semi-justified; of course, Ansom would, in that case, attack through the tunnels. He also might decide the tunnels are a good choice just so he can say "Well, I guess your wall really was unbeatable, too bad you forgot about those tunnels, moron."

Also it seemed to me like the bluff imediatly after that was designed to hide the first one. The second one was obvious and the lie is changed rather quickly (allies to "at least one". Directs Ansom's attention else where and makes him look like a bad bluffer.

Wender
2008-04-03, 05:00 PM
I think Parson might be trying to push Ansom into the tunnels with this. Parson says "you won't even make it through the outer wall". The first thing this says is "we expect a wall attack". Two, this makes it seem like Parson knows the battle plan, which Ansom or Vinny should guess after they learn about the thinkamancer.

Although we have it from no less a stick-in-the-mud than Webinar that convention dictates an attack on the walls. So what I imagine Ansom concluding is that Parson is expecting Ansom to launch a by-the-book assault on Gobwin Knob, leaving Ansom to go right into the tunnels while congratulating himself on his own cleverness.

Trotsky
2008-04-03, 05:23 PM

Well, Charlie's archons do seem to suggest (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0073.html) that it is a spell. I mostly just assumed that she knew she was under a spell but never really wanted to break free because she liked it.

Zienth
2008-04-03, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure if Rob and Jamie prefer to have predictions in spoiler tags like Rich does, but I'm putting this in a spoiler, just in case.

Back on page 78 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0086.html), Sizemore said that collapsing enough of the tunnels would collapse the city itself. But he also said that the invading army would just claim the ruins and rebuild the city. But what if the vast majority of the invading army was in the tunnels? Along with its leaders?

I think Parson is going to wait for the attack in the tunnels, then sally forth from the city with all of his forces and collapse the tunnels on top of Ansom and company. There will be some of Ansom's troops outside the city, but hopefully few enough so that Parson will be able to handle them, given that they'll have lost their leaders under the city.

Parson doesn't give a boop about whether or not the city survives, he just wants to win the battle.

Sancdar
2008-04-03, 06:08 PM
Jillian's name might also be a pun, but I can't place it, or I'm possibly misspelling it: "Jilli and the muscles."

"Jillions of muscles".

MattR
2008-04-03, 06:11 PM
My money is on the Foolamancer being called William too.

afroakuma
2008-04-03, 07:12 PM
Parson doesn't give a boop about whether or not the city survives, he just wants to win the battle.

If Parson's knowledge of city dynamics extends beyond that at all, he'll probably also realize that a side requires a capital city. With Gobwin Knob the only remaining city, its destruction could instantly end Stanley's side, at which point Stanley might want to instantly end Parson's life.

I'm curious to see if Parson's made Ansom enough to go for the walls in an all-out strike. The coalition leaders would likely push him to try the tunnels instead, and Ansom would end up being right, thus reinforcing his superiority complex. Oh, that would be fun.

EmperorSarda
2008-04-03, 07:20 PM
Regarding Ansom detecting the bluff and Parson agreeing, it seems more that Ansom immediately suspects it as a bluff and would have continued to believe that it was a bluff had Parson denied it. But since Parson said that he is glad that Ansom thinks it is a bluff, leaves the door open for Ansom to wonder if it is or isn't.

If Ansom thinks that Parson said he was glad that Ansom thinks it is a bluff, then Ansom is left to ponder if Parson is bluffing more, or if by thinking it is a bluff, that it makes Parson's job easier, by Ansom not looking into matter.

So it is a hugely complicated issue now, especially with Parson mimicking Charlie.

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 07:27 PM
So it is a hugely complicated issue now, especially with Parson mimicking Charlie.

Hmmm... if he recognizes the turn of phrase, Ansom might interpret that as a careless (or deliberately arrogant) reveal of who he's been talking to....

Vreejack
2008-04-03, 08:23 PM
Hmmm... I see three possible ways for Ansom to respond to this gambit:

3. Air it openly: Obviously, everybody else will deny being in communication with the enemy, but they'd say that in any case.

If everyone denies it then it didn't happen. Surely at least ONE of his allies would admit having been contacted by Hamster.

SteveMB
2008-04-03, 08:39 PM
If everyone denies it then it didn't happen. Surely at least ONE of his allies would admit having been contacted by Hamster.

The fact is that it didn't happen -- Parson wanted to talk to the Coalition leaders, but Maggie's abilities were too spent for more than one more Thinkagram.

afroakuma
2008-04-03, 08:40 PM
I'm not so certain... it's quite clear that Ansom utterly despises Stanley and anyone who works under him. "Conspiring with the enemy" in any way, shape or form, is only likely to rile him more. I'd say Ansom's probably too proud to even ask. Witch-hunt, yes. Conference and discussion, absolutely not. Random ostracisms and paranoia? Well... Parson's already wound him up that route.

Caledonian
2008-04-03, 10:05 PM
Thought: is Parson's "reference" to Charlie just his adoption of a very effective rhetorical technique?

Or has Charlie done something to his mind?

Is Ansom intended to be wondering the same thing?

slayerx
2008-04-03, 10:29 PM

Problem is, Ansom doesn't know who to trust...
He doesn't know if Parson contacted ALL, SOME or NONE of the enemies... even if he trusts vinnie and Vinnie says "no" then all that means for certain is that Vinnie wasn't on Parson's calling list... Parson never say he contacted ALL the members, but mentions he has been in contact with "others"

Even if Parson didn't finish his message, this can still play into his favor... right now, Ansom will probably call Parson's bluff... however, due to Ansom's little outburst, other members of the coalition may be more critical of him; questioning his orders, pushing to have things their way, and going against Ansom's plans... this newly found backbone amognst the warlords will get Ansom thinking that Parson may not have been bluffing, and that their really is a traitor in his midst... Problem is, if Ansom moves to wild accusations that will only lead to making the already irritable and innocent warlords angery and down right insulted

Aquillion
2008-04-03, 11:00 PM
1: Plot. If he could just look at him and see his name, what would be the point of even mentioning all this?A simpler explaination: Given names aren't part of a unit's stats, or even anything "official". They're just things people happen to call them... most units in wargames don't really get names, after all.

Prowl
2008-04-03, 11:21 PM
Thought: is Parson's "reference" to Charlie just his adoption of a very effective rhetorical technique?

Or has Charlie done something to his mind?

Is Ansom intended to be wondering the same thing?

I think it's intended to sever trust between Ansom and Charlie. If Ansom lets Charlie go, then Charlie is free to make a deal with Parson.

Aquillion
2008-04-03, 11:29 PM
I think it's intended to sever trust between Ansom and Charlie. If Ansom lets Charlie go, then Charlie is free to make a deal with Parson.Also, Ansom could easily feel that he doesn't need Charlie now. He can't send Charlie after Stanley, the Archons probably wouldn't be as useful in a tunnel fight where they can't fly, and he must feel the city is going to be a push-over anyway. Why keep paying Charlie's fees if he doesn't have to?

kilmor
2008-04-04, 10:12 AM
A simpler explaination: Given names aren't part of a unit's stats, or even anything "official". They're just things people happen to call them... most units in wargames don't really get names, after all.

klog 4 shows bogroll's stats, with his name. This could arguably be because hamster *knows* his name though, and why tool can't see the foolamancer's name.

TheWombat
2008-04-04, 11:43 AM
klog 4 shows bogroll's stats, with his name. This could arguably be because hamster *knows* his name though, and why tool can't see the foolamancer's name.

Or it could be that Bogroll know's his own name. The foolamancer lost his sense of identity during the link-up, so that's why he needs to hear his name again. Thus if a unit can't remember it's name, maybe it isn't displayed.

My thought though is that the Glasses give the unit name, which is not normally seen by leading erfworlders. Jillian call's Weibnar's ally "your girlfriend" not by her name. Though that could just be to add an additional dig at Weibnar's expense.

hajo
2008-04-04, 01:23 PM
most units in wargames don't really get names
True - but they mostly have only a few rulers, leaders, heros, wizards etc., and those are the ones that usually get names.
And our poor foolamencer belongs to this group.

hajo
2008-04-04, 01:39 PM
the Archons probably wouldn't be as useful in a tunnel fight where they can't fly,

The archons would do better by supporting the attack on the walls

Why keep paying Charlie's fees if he doesn't have to?
That would depend on the contract, i.e. if mercs are hired day-to-day, per week, per month etc.
Also, perhaps they have a one-time setup-fee in addition to the daily/monthly charge, or the first week was already paid in advance :smallsmile:

slayerx
2008-04-04, 01:45 PM
Also, Ansom could easily feel that he doesn't need Charlie now. He can't send Charlie after Stanley... Why keep paying Charlie's fees if he doesn't have to?

Wait, why can't Ansom send the Archons after Stanely?

Quaalsten
2008-04-04, 02:16 PM
My money is on the Foolamancer being called William too.

If folks are right about him being a Royal, then the name is obvious: it's Edgar.

Edgar was the legitimate son of the Earl of Gloucester in King Lear, who played the part of "Tom o'Bedlam" in order to help the King.

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-05, 01:01 PM

Hmm didn't notice that before, also the foolamancer has this weird, cracked-out look to him. Was this crazy bulging eye of his acquired because of the split with the thinkamancer? Or just having to serve under stanley for so long : p

Jillian specifically says 'they had a good Foolamancer' in her FAQ flashback. So probably Wanda and Jillian are the only two that know his name. Fun times ahead!

Another good point. If Stanley was there to take wanda, why not take the foolamancer to.

Twisted Otaku
2008-04-05, 01:02 PM

Hmm didn't notice that before, also the foolamancer has this weird, cracked-out look to him. Was this crazy bulging eye of his acquired because of the split with the thinkamancer? Or just having to serve under stanley for so long : p

Another good point. If Stanley was there to take wanda, why not take the foolamancer to.

ElvenDeathMetal
2008-04-05, 04:10 PM
For the first thing I'm ever going to say here, I'm going to go with the Foolamancer's name being William or Willy.

For one thing, his lines all seem to be excerpts of The Fool's lines from King Lear exclusively. Since that character didn't really have a name and his purpose was to relay Shakespeare's opinions about the situation at hand, it could be said that the character was William Shakespeare himself.

Also, albeit much less supportable, it kinda goes with a half-there theme with the casters' names, if we assume the Foolamancer is from FAQ. So, we would have:

Wanda the Croakamancer and Willy the Foolamancer from FAQ
Misty the Lookamancer and Maggie the Thinkamancer from GK

Regardless, this comic just keeps getting better.

Kish
2008-04-05, 04:32 PM
For one thing, his lines all seem to be excerpts of The Fool's lines from King Lear exclusively.
Except the ones that are Caliban in The Tempest.

ElvenDeathMetal
2008-04-05, 05:14 PM
Except the ones that are Caliban in The Tempest.

Well crap. There goes my theory.

At least I can come out of this knowing what my foot tastes like, since it's now crammed in my mouth.

afroakuma
2008-04-05, 06:30 PM
And also the one line from Pennywise of It fame, namely "We all float down here" in response to Stanley referring to him as "this clown."

charles
2008-04-06, 02:12 AM
I'm betting the foolamancer's name is something that would match up with Misty and Maggie's names.

Every name has been funny in one sense or another. But Misty and Maggie don't fit in with that (well Misty as a lookamancer maybe). I'm betting that a joke will be evident when you put all three names together.

Although I'm also betting that Parson is about to figure it out and tell Stanley. This will hopefully impress Stanley and he'll decide to double back with the dragons and save the day.

(silly thought, I know, but It's just the kind of unexpected thing that would really turn the battle).

slayerx
2008-04-06, 02:20 AM
Every name has been funny in one sense or another. But Misty and Maggie don't fit in with that (well Misty as a lookamancer maybe)
well, people have mentioned that Maggie looks like Margret Thatcher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher)... that should probably count for something

charles
2008-04-06, 02:22 AM
Actually.

I'm with the theory that the foolamancer is from FAQ.

Jillian, Wanda and the foolamancer are the only one's we've seen who have pupils in their eyes.

Although the Foolamancer's eyes are orange like the other eyemancers, he still has pupils.

Krelon
2008-04-07, 06:42 AM
From what I read the best theory I've seen was that Parson hid a bluff within the bluff.

Obvious bluff: I have allies in your coalition

Hidden bluff: I have concentrated my defense on the walls

Ansom has reason think that Parson is horrible at bluffing, therefore slipped some real info (you wont make it through the outer walls). Now, if anyone in the coalition can tell that it was the Tool who interfered with the thinkagram, this might convince Ansom that Parson is a double fool who indeed talked to someone in the coalition and nearly said who, but the Tool prevented that. Therefore Ansom will be too busy being angry and trying to decide if the obvious bluff was not a bluff at all that he will choose to go through the tunnels fast.

I have the feeling that Parson just won the next turn. Will that be enough to survive?

DeathQuaker
2008-04-07, 10:24 AM
well, people have mentioned that Maggie looks like Margret Thatcher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher)... that should probably count for something

Huh. I thought she was supposed to be Maggie Smith (who played a wizardess in some series of movies or another...)

But that's an interesting idea too.

Mathi
2008-04-08, 07:55 AM
Smart Charles. I also think he is the foolamancer from Faq. When Stanley conquered it he had the tree eyemancers together to get his great spying setup. I checked the flashback to Faq comic but Banhammer seems not to have pupils.

Now Lamguin and Fractal came to some intresting ideas on page one of this threat. About Wanda controlling Stanley by suggestion. Not directly but by implanting ideas in his mind. Wanda could be a reference to the manipulative character in "A fish called Wanda".
Wanda has no real interrest in military things which would explain why she let Stanley blunder until she summoned Parson.

Now I have this little pet theory:

What if Stanley did not attack Faq on his own initiative but under command of king Saline? Saline had a lookamancer and found the defenseless kingdom as a great target for his champion warlord with his dragonflight. Maybe he was lured there by Wanda. He was not a pacifist ruler, as he employed gobwins (classic evil) and used Stanley to win battles against lovable Marbits and Smurfs for him. In Faq Stanley picked up Wanda who was quite bored under Banhammers rule.
From that moment Wanda started manipulating king Saline into making Stanley his heir and the Gobwins into revolting. Maybe she needed the change of command because Stanley was easier to manipulate.
I don't know how this fits into the whole Obidience/Loyalty/Duty setup http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0094.html
She has probably a low Loyalty score, and she is probably quite capable of bending the other rules. Or she could somehow be serving Jillian's interrests, she could have chosen herself as a ruler, or maybe she thought it was in Stanleys interest to manipulate him.

SteveMB
2008-04-08, 08:20 AM
I also think he is the foolamancer from Faq. When Stanley conquered it he had the three eyemancers together to get his great spying setup.
If the Foolamancer is from Faq, and Stanley implemented his shrewd idea of creating the Eyemancer trio immediately after acquiring him, that would explain why Maggie never learned his name (at most, she would have briefly seen it in his stat block while preoccupied with preparing to cast a major spell).

Now Lamguin and Fractal came to some intresting ideas on page one of this threat. About Wanda controlling Stanley by suggestion. Not directly but by implanting ideas in his mind. Wanda could be a reference to the manipulative character in "A fish called Wanda".
Well, we've known from the beginning that Wanda verbally manipulates him; whether magical manipulation is included (or even possible against a superior*) is unknown.

*While Faq existed, Jillian (the heir) was presumably Wanda's superior; whether that has any effect on matters now is unknown (IMO probably not).

Wanda has no real interrest in military things which would explain why she let Stanley blunder until she summoned Parson.
Parson suspects that Wanda knows more than she lets on about military matters; the fact that she recognized the need to nudge Stanley out of his tried-and-untrue ways seems to bear this out. I suppose it's like non-Croakamancy magicks -- she can deal with it, but prefers not to.

Mathi
2008-04-08, 09:40 AM
Well, we've known from the beginning that Wanda verbally manipulates him; whether magical manipulation is included (or even possible against a superior*) is unknown.

*While Faq existed, Jillian (the heir) was presumably Wanda's superior; whether that has any effect on matters now is unknown (IMO probably not).

It could be that Wanda organised everything for the amusement of the sword-happy Jillian :smalltongue: .

It is possible that Wanda does not have a real superior. She served under Banhammer, but it doesn't say that she was one of his units.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0092.html
She could be a witch and just pretend to be under Stanley's command.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0088.html
For a unit without a side the control over a ruler might be the most power obtainable.

Laurentio
2008-04-09, 08:59 AM
I don't know why you hidden your opinion, it seems not a spoiler at all.
Anyway, witches seems to be a race (or, at least, are listed amongs races). But again, maybe that "witch" is for "barbarian wizard".

I'd kill for some more background on FAQ, at this point. Every single person coming from there is crazy, or it's just me?

Laurentio "Jillian is crazy. Period."

Aquillion
2008-04-09, 09:38 AM
Wait, why can't Ansom send the Archons after Stanely?Because Jillian wants to keep the location and existence of Faq a secret, and attacking Stanley under those circumstances would risk revealing.

zeropsm
2008-04-09, 08:16 PM
I was listening to some silverchair songs...and i've just noticed this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0073.html

"Cmon abuse me more I like it
Cmon keep talking cause its true"

btw...i ca't wait to see next page

Rumex
2008-04-09, 10:28 PM
I do find it a nice piece of characterization that Stanley can't remember the Foolamancer's name. Stanley seems like the kind of guy who just 'can't be bothered' with details like that... and now it's holding him up.

Part of his immaturity at play.

SteveMB
2008-04-09, 10:31 PM
I do find it a nice piece of characterization that Stanley can't remember the Foolamancer's name. Stanley seems like the kind of guy who just 'can't be bothered' with details like that... and now it's holding him up.

Part of his immaturity at play.

It came up as a minor gag when he ordered (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0033.html) "Bunghole" to find Parson some suitable quarters.

El_Chupacabra
2008-04-10, 12:08 AM
I don't know why you hidden your opinion, it seems not a spoiler at all.
Anyway, witches seems to be a race (or, at least, are listed amongs races). But again, maybe that "witch" is for "barbarian wizard".

I'd kill for some more background on FAQ, at this point. Every single person coming from there is crazy, or it's just me?

Laurentio "Jillian is crazy. Period."

I suspect that the Ruler of FAQ drove all his Warlords and Casters a bit crazy with his philosophy of Nonviolence.

Most likely Jillian and Wanda have some background involving sneaking away for some Leveling on the side :smallbiggrin: and at some point Wanda cast her Loyalty spell on Jillian, to either keep Jillian from defecting to another side (perhaps Banhammer's rule was so onerous it negated Loyalty Rules, so Wanda had to intervene), or possibly Wanda was planning on a Coup at FAQ before it was wiped out (I suspect a strong enough cast may have eventually cracked the Loyalty Rule outright or otherwise allowed for a Coup much like is suspected in Stanley's case).

An unlikely scenario could also be that the Wanda-Jillian spell had some element of Natural Thinkamancy in it, due to their bonding at FAQ in reaction to their leader's marginalization of their skills, so it was tougher to break, and not as damaging to Wanda as a coerced spell would be.

Aside: Am I half asleep here, or was his name Banhammer? Huh. Odd that Stanley -- with his hammer -- would be his downfall.