PDA

View Full Version : Succubus energy drain

UnrealSkill
2008-04-03, 07:27 PM
I was reading up on Succubi (or w/e the plural version is) and was wondering, when the Succubus kisses a target and drains a level while under a disguise, should I as the DM announce the level drain, I'm really clueless on what to do for subtle things like this any help would be nice.

senrath
2008-04-03, 07:30 PM
Personally, I'd say something like: "You feel rather strange, as though you suddenly grew much weaker."

Of course, that particular wording could also make them believe it was enfeeblement...

Collin152
2008-04-03, 07:31 PM
Personally, I'd say something like: "You feel rather strange, as though you suddenly grew much weaker."

Of course, that particular wording could also make them believe it was enfeeblement...

Or just shame.
She's a very "charismatic" woman!

Smiley_
2008-04-03, 07:34 PM
Not if you think that they will metagame.

Now once, I was playing a character that was kissed by a succubus. The DM did announce a level drain, but I insisted that the drainage was subtle enough to elude detection from the character and roleplayed accordingly. The level drainage only became apparent when he had his butt handed to him when trying to attack the rest of the party (well, more than would be usual) for killing the succubus who had won several diplomacy checks against my character (no sense motive, see).

So, it's the DMs call ultimately, but if you keep the level drain secret from the characters, some interesting things can come up.

Also, allow the succubus to make diplomacy and bluff checks commonly. Liberal use of charm effects might also be interesting.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 07:36 PM
I'd try something different. Less direct:

"As her lips touch your skin, you experience a myriad different sensations. Your stomach tingles and twists, and your senses seem to explode..and then, suddenly, the feeling vanishes and you feel empty, left blank."

Will make the poor sods think she's an aasimar :smalltongue: .

Chronos
2008-04-03, 07:37 PM
The 3.0 version specified that it was a DC 15 Wisdom check to even notice the energy drain at all. I'd houserule that away for an involuntary kiss in a grapple, but for a willing "act of passion"? I think succubi (yes, that's the correct plural) are quite good at keeping folks' minds on other things. If they fail the check, I'd just say something about how great a kiss it was, and if they succeed, I'd tell the player that they feel weakened or drained (possibly with more detail, if they question further).

*Edit*
I like Azeron's description of it. Make it sound like it's the lack of the kiss that's causing the emptiness, not the kiss itself.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 07:41 PM
Personally, I'd just drain a level from my copy of their sheet, and secretely inform the player in an indirect way as soon as I can. The other players shouldn't get to know, simply because, if they have that kind of metagame knowledge, they WILL try to find a situation to unmask the Succubus IC, even if they don't mean to.

UnrealSkill
2008-04-03, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys, it helps alot.

BlackStaticWolf
2008-04-03, 08:50 PM
Personally, if you decide to announce the drain at all, I think you should keep the announcement limited to a private note passed to the affected player. The prevents any unintentional metagaming from the other players.

I also love Azerion's suggestion. I'd recommend that over telling the affected player he was energy drained.

Also, don't forget that a succubi's kiss comes with a suggestion to continue the lip-lock, free of charge. If she uses that power and it works, I don't see much of a way around letting at least the affected player know. I mean... if he fails, he has no choice but to continue kissing the succubus. It's kind of a dead give away.

But, as long as you keep the announcements of what precisely is happening limited to private notes, you can at least prevent the other players from knowing what's going on.

Chronos
2008-04-03, 09:38 PM
Also, don't forget that a succubi's kiss comes with a suggestion to continue the lip-lock, free of charge. If she uses that power and it works, I don't see much of a way around letting at least the affected player know. I mean... if he fails, he has no choice but to continue kissing the succubus. It's kind of a dead give away.Oh, that's easy. "The kiss is so heavenly, you feel like you don't ever want to stop." If the player doesn't say anything to that, assume he's continuing the enervating osculation. If he says that he's continuing the kiss, so much the better. If he says that he's not continuing the kiss, then (and only then) is when you tell him that yes he is, after all.

Khanderas
2008-04-04, 01:34 AM
"This kiss is just... wow. Your knees feel weak and you can almost hear the rush of your bloodstream" (optionally add "you feel both hot and cold"). Words that can be used to describe a REALLY good kiss, and a weakening.

(Because I feel when a demon of lust uses that kiss they should be proficient enough in it to make it both exilerating and subtle. Notsofair to the players perhaps, unless they are really paranoid)