PDA

View Full Version : Duel

Chronicled
2008-04-04, 11:07 AM
I'd like some opinions on an NPC I made to duel one of my players. I'm looking for a fight of 5+ rounds that should frustrate the player; it can be a close fight, but the player shouldn't be beaten.

The player is a level 10 Swordsage focused on Desert Wind. AC 27, +14 attack bonus.

The NPC is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48002), and is built mostly the same way (http://campaignmode.livejournal.com/) as the players (hence the +5 misc AC bonus).

Any suggestions for making the NPC/duel really irk the player? One thing I'm using is the Counter Charge maneuver, which might stop the player's favorite opener of Searing Charge (the NPC has been training up for this duel and knows some of the player's tactics). I was thinking of houseruling in a lower-level version of Robilar's Gambit, for instance.

To sum up: what makes for a good duel?

Darrin
2008-04-04, 12:41 PM
Any suggestions for making the NPC/duel really irk the player? One thing I'm using is the Counter Charge maneuver, which might stop the player's favorite opener of Searing Charge (the NPC has been training up for this duel and knows some of the player's tactics). I was thinking of houseruling in a lower-level version of Robilar's Gambit, for instance.

Ideally, a "dramatic" duel might be the lighter/faster SwordSage leaping about, trying to land that final finishing move, while the slower/tougher antagonist shrugs off most of the damage, but is having trouble smacking down the more agile SwordSage.

Build-wise, the NPC looks fine, although I'd probably go with Stone Power and a Stone Dragon stance, like Roots of the Mountain, and make sure he has some type of fire resistance/immunity. Martial Stance at 3rd to pick up Flame's Blessing might be good, although a minor ring of fire resistance would work just as well.

Chronicled
2008-04-04, 01:23 PM
and make sure he has some type of fire resistance/immunity. Martial Stance at 3rd to pick up Flame's Blessing might be good, although a minor ring of fire resistance would work just as well.

Oooh, I'd forgotten that completely. Thanks!