PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about grafts

RikuKupo
2008-04-06, 10:17 AM
I really like grafts, they are a cool idea and make great items. But most of them have bad drawbacks, and I'm not talking about the messed up new ones. The new rules are even worse, they take away the main reason grafts were cool: no item slots, and add the reason nobody likes Weapons of Legacy: horrible deductions to your stats. But the old ones werent perfect either, some still had other drawbacks. So I had an idea, although I don't know how balanced it is. If you double the cost of the graft and take away any drawbacks (new versions or old) would that be ok?

question 2: are there any sort of guidelines on pricing grafts? It would have to be more than double the cost of a similar magic item, because double gives you a slotless item, not a permanent part of your body.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-04-06, 06:39 PM
Tragically grafts are a strange lot. Have you looked at Lords of Madness? The silthilar grafts contained within are all great, with no negative side effects for having them (they are expensive, however). The fleshwarper, a prestige class focusing on grafts, while notoriously difficult to qualify for, can be a nice way of exploring grafts. Personally, I ignore the new rules placed down in Dragon Magic which limit the number of grafts, etc. If you want to be a spliced-up sin against nature, the cost and social stigma alone should be a sufficient price to pay.

FlyMolo
2008-04-06, 07:08 PM
If you want to be a spliced-up sin against nature, the cost and social stigma alone should be a sufficient price to pay.
Quoted for truth. There's no reason not to graft grafts onto grafts, anyway.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 07:49 PM
If you want to be a spliced-up sin against nature, the cost and social stigma alone should be a sufficient price to pay.

Hear, hear! I second that opinion.