PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars d20: What type of bonus is "Defense Bonus" is?

neochaos
2008-04-09, 12:55 PM
Hi, I'm reading Star Wars d20 rulebook, but I cannot find what kind of bonus is "defense bonus" on class section of the book (class table, more likely) I and my DM are thinking about cross-overing Star Wars and Forgotten Realms, so I want to know what type of bonus it is, and will it stack with other bonuses in D&D (We're converting Star Wars d20 to more like D&D style, changing Defense Bonus to AC)

TheOOB
2008-04-09, 01:36 PM
First of all, what star wars d20 are you using? There is two versions, the old version, and Saga edition.

Second, star wars and D&D are different systems, and are not compatible. You would be better off making classes and PrC's for D&D that had a similar flavor to star wars classes then trying a direct conversion.

Third, if a bonus doesn't mention a type, it's untyped and stacks with everything except itself.

TheOOB
2008-04-09, 01:41 PM
First of all, what star wars d20 are you using? There is two versions, the old version, and Saga edition.

Second, star wars and D&D are different systems, and are not compatible. You would be better off making classes and PrC's for D&D that had a similar flavor to star wars classes then trying a direct conversion.

Third, if a bonus doesn't mention a type, it's untyped and stacks with everything except itself.

neochaos
2008-04-09, 01:45 PM
It's revised, I think.

Hmm...I better make D&D "Jedi" class than. Thanks!

Kizara
2008-04-09, 02:25 PM

I disagree if he's using Revised Core.

It's fairly compatible with 3.5, if not exactly transparent. The trouble is that the relative baseline for balance is different. That is to say, Star Wars characters are less powerful (although still Heroic) then DnD characters.

SCPRedMage
2008-04-11, 03:48 AM
Actually, a Star Wars/Forgotten Realms crossover has a bit more too it than that.

First of all, the Star Wars RPG uses a Vitality and Wound Point system, rather than the normal Hit Point system. A version for D&D was introduced in Unearthed Arcana, and can be seen here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm

Second, armor in Star Wars provides DR rather than an AC bonus. Again, a version was put into UA: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Finally, the Defense bonus you mentioned. Again, introduced into D&D in UA: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

In the D&D version, they explicitly mention that a class's Defense bonus does NOT stack with a character's armor bonus, but it DOES apply to touch attacks.

For the cross-over to work, you're going to need to use the same rules for both systems.