PDA

View Full Version : Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ozzy_G
2008-04-09, 03:06 PM
Orin steps out of the portal, and into a shattered room. The walls are the strange, mind-bending geometry of Illithid architecture. The ceiling is riven by a massive crack, through which the cheerful light of the sun shines through. The grim mosaics of Illithid life that mark the wall are somehow pathetic rather than terrifying, in the light of day. The last remnants of a dead empire. Somehow poignant, considering the state of Davethra today.
Tharok steps in after him. He looks around. Did I tell you, Orin? I am on a vision quest... the shamans told me to follow what I see. Yet that vision seemed less for me and more for you... he seems slightly confused, unsure.
At the other end of the room is a corridor leading upward. You can see that light shines down from there as well.

Lycar
2008-04-09, 05:08 PM
Orin steps into the sunlit room and blinks.

(Ookay. This are not the Halgarth ruins. But there do not seem to be any Mind Flayers around either. Very well then. I have taken the first step. Now onward.)

"Well, i'll be" he says aloud "This place actually does not seem to be crawling with Illithids after all."

When Tharok mentions his vision quest, Orin perks up.

"No, no you did not actually mention that if i recall correctly. But please don't quote me on that. What with what has been going on recently i am glad i still know who i am. Oh, that reminds me..."

Orin fidgets around with Lucidae's Hat of Disguise a bit, trying to get it to work.

"I hope you don't me asking you a few curious questions about your people and your shmans when we get to rest a bit. I'm very fond of stories you know. Plus it might help us both understand what is going on. But it might seem that you and me, Tharok, are indeed meant to influence the very fate of our world."

"If your vision is correct, and i have reason to believe it is, then the old davethran demon god Gothul might want to try a comeback. He still has fanatic followers to this day. And apparently, just killing him didn't destroy him permanently. Now i hope you see why having a demon god come back into power is not a good thing. If some higher powers want us to stop that from happening, i am just too happy to oblige them."

"Of course we must be prepared to face stiff opposition. And given the predicament of our situation, what with the heads of our dead comrades weighting down on our shoulders and conscience alike, we must resort to all means at our disposal to enhance our chances for success."

"Chances are, if Gothul's worshippers have access to divination magic, they may well be looking for a yellow eyed scholar and an axe-wielding barbarian. No offense Tharok, but that is the most basic description of the two of us. So if we can throw them off... "

"Eh, what i'm getting at is, i really don't want to be easily recognizable for the time being. You see, i had to lie to my comrades about my true identity, both to protect myself and them from those who might want to harm me. Now i have to do it again to protect the two of us and our mission."

Orin fidgets around with the hat some more.

"You wouldn't happen to know which way is north?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-09, 05:32 PM
I've heard of Gothul, replies Tharok. My grandfather said that Davethrans used to make us feed the hearts of our enemies to their God Gothul, rather than eat them ourselves. Now he's gone, we can eat them ourselves, and become stronger. Perhaps my ancestors' spirits are sending me visions to help me stop him coming back, so we can stay strong. The barbarian talks about eating people's hearts as if it's the most natural thing in the world.
He looks up at the sun, squinting. I think north is that way, he says pointing slightly to the right of the passage.

While he talks, Orin fiddles around with the hat. Eventually, he finds that on the inside, in very small writing, is what looks like an Elvish word: Sildareth

Lycar
2008-04-10, 12:40 AM
Orin fumbles around with the hat a bit more as Tharok speaks.

"Huh, and here i thought that heart-eating thing only works for fiends and demons..."

He does not seem to be phased by Tharok's admittance to cannibalism. But then again, he has seen a few pretty bad things back in his days in Ralm. Heck, his own half-brother was a necromanccer...

"... then again, people used to eat parts of their deceased forebearers to .. er.. keep their spirit in the family so to speak."

Eventually Orin finds what appears to be an elvish word sewn into the hat.

(Huh, good thing they use the same alpahbet. Or rather, we are using the same as them.)

(to be continued)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-10, 07:50 AM
Tharok points up the passageway ahead.
So, shall we get going?

Lycar
2008-04-10, 01:03 PM
"Just a moment..."

Orin concentrates on an image in his mind. When he has visualized it to his satisfaction, he whispers the command word.

The magic of the Hat of Disguise triggered, Orins form seems to shimmer for a moment: And emerge from the shimmer does... someone else.

In Orins place now stands... a warrior. Davethran still, but with a skin darkened and wrinkled by constant exposure to the elements, eyes a dull brown, as well as the hair. His facial features aren't too different though. One might think, the two of them would be distant relatives or something. For all appearances, he is now wearing a suit of scale armour, thick leather pants and strong boots. On top of his head sits a simple leather helmet, with metal bands for reinforcement and iron cheeck and nose guards.

Apart from this though, Orin left the appearance of his gear mostly unchanged. Except for Krashnix's steel shield, which now appears to have been painted over with cheap black paint. Still, there original phoenix motive can be seen to shimmer through at places.

The looks of the weapons he carries and the cat gloves he wears remain unchanged however.

"Well Tharok. If anoyne asks, i am Bren Blackshield, mercenary for hire. And we carry with us the heads of those unfortunate souls because we found them after we offed a Mind Flayer. And we thought it would be the decent thing to do to try and raise them. At least until i can think of a better story."

"But yeah, let's get going. Please lead the way, i wouldn't know north from south if my life depende don it."

Orin nods at Tharok and waits for him to take the lead, then follows behind him.

Orin tries to make his voice sound a bit lower, more gravely. That is being represented by the darker colour of his spoken text. If i should screw up and have him say something in orange, he slipped and used his normal voice. :smallwink:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-10, 05:56 PM
Wow, impressive. The Dar Ven leads Orin out up the passageway, which leads out of a ruined building and into a larger set of ruins. Threading through them, you eventually come out onto a wide plain. There are mountains to the north, and the land in that direction, and also the east, is barren. But to the west and south it's more verdant. To the west a bit, you can see a small village.
Where shall we go? asks Tharok. To the village?

Lycar
2008-04-11, 12:33 AM
"For a start..."

"*Ahem* I mean: For a start, yes. Let's find out where we are here first and what lies north of us next. Then we might get an idea where up north our destiny lies in am.. er, wait for us."

Orin smirks at Tharok a bit. Maybe they can even find directions to a temple. Maybe even Isana. Although that life-and-death god the Zhan Khalef Nefud used to worship might be a good bet too.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 08:48 AM
The pair head down towards the village. As they get nearer, they hear the sounds of revelry ahead. Whoops of laughter accompany the music of some sort of string instrument, like a fiddle. The village is only a couple of streets, but from what they can hear from this distance, the entire population must be out. From this angle, they can't actually see anything though.
I wonder what's going on? asks Tharok.
Looking at the buildings, Orin sees that they are an odd style of architecture that he does not recognise. It certainly isn't the same as they use in Halgarth.

Lycar
2008-04-11, 05:16 PM
Orin

"Sounds like people enjoying themselves. Let us not look too intimidating, we don't want to scare them and spoil their fun."

Orin regrets to have choosen such an intimidating appearance. Fortunately, with a single utterance of the magic command work for the Hat of Disguise he can change his apparent facial features from grim and foreboding to seasoned but fatherly.

He also shifts his shield to carry it on his back to appear less martial and threatening. As far as two men wearing heavy weapons and armour can look non-threatening that is.

(I'll just have to win their hearts and minds with my natural charms then...)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 05:49 PM
As the two walk closer, they can see that the houses here are made of some reddish stone not found in their own lands. They are cosy-looking, but small, poor, in bad repair.
The two walk along the back of the street, and past the last house, so that they can look down at the actual street and the revellers.
Looking down the street to the square in the middle, they can see that the square is filled with laughing, dancing men, women and children. They have light brown skin, and purple eyes. They are not Mokai, Davethran, Dar Ven, Qusan or Zhan. They are not people from anywhere on Orin and Tharok's continent. You can hear their speech, and you do not recognise it at all.
The cheery looking people wear rough homespun garb, they are obviously poor. But they seem happy. Couples exchange kisses, children run about, and there are several tables covered in food. You can see what appears to be a tavern on the opposite side of the square, with barrels of ale outside that people are drinking from. In the middle of the square, sitting on a kind of altar, is a large statue of a man with a kind of thick, coiled tail rather than legs. It is painted a faded purple.
It is not that which draws your eyes however. Above the altar are two large metal poles. On them are tied two corpses. One is clearly a balding, pudgy Davethran soldier of middle age, his ancestral Katana plunged into his belly. The other is an old Mokai man. You cannot see more details at this distance.
No one seems to have noticed you yet.

Lycar
2008-04-12, 06:49 AM
Upon seeing the two dead people on the poles, Orin quickly grabs Tharoks arm and gently but firmly pulls him back behind a building to shield them from the eyes of the revelers.

"*sigh* You know Tharok, that is how life should be like for everyone. Being happy and enjoying themselves, eating, drinking, being generally merry and not having a worry in the world."

"Minus the 'let's kill off all strangers as offerings for our gods' part. Oh well, these people seem to have the first part done right at least."

Orin ponders. Certainly, should they just walk in like that, their reception might be an enthusiastic one. 'Oh look, more strangers to adorn our altar with'.

The best thing would be to pretend being one of them. Problem: He doesn't know these people, he doesn't speak their language...

Orin peers at Tharok, looks him over, notes the subtle ways he looks different from a Davethran. Or Mokai for that matter.

Invoking the illusion magic in the Hat of Disguise once again, Orin changes his facial structure to match those he perceives in Tharok better, while trying to erase or hide those, which he believes to be typical of Davethrans.

"Well Tharok, these people just love Davethrans and Mokai apparently. Love to sacrifice them that is. So whatever we are, we aren't Davethrans. Look, you told me your shaman sent you on a vision quest, right? We'll go with that. If we can find someone to talk with, we tell them we are from your lands and definitly no Davethrans, may their demon-worshipping behinds shrivel up like prunes in the sun, and just happened to emerge from those ruins to the south after your vision guided us through a strage magical portal, okay?"

As an afterthought, Orin subtly changes the appearance of his gear a bit, making his armour look like it had originally been made for someone with a different built, giving the idea that it has been looted from someone.

"All right. That is all *i* can think of right now. If you happen to have any ideas how we could ensure a peaceful reception by those folks, please feel free to voice them."

Orin waits for Tharok to answer. But if there is nothing else forthcoming, he will nod and turn to walk into the village again, hoping that things turn out well.

(We could go back to those ruins and rest. Sleep over it. Regain our full strength. But that wouldn't do us much good. Either these poeple are going to attack us or not. And with their overwhelming numerical superiority, we won't have a chance fighting them, rested or not. Gods, if they hate Davethrans and Mokai so much, maybe ... oh Rego, Krashnix, Livina, Luci forgive me... but maybe your heads might prove to be useful for more then providing a priest with something to raise you from the dead with...)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-12, 09:39 AM
Tharok shakes his head, having no other ideas.
Orin and Tharok step out into the street and start to walk down it. A child in the square notices them, and says something to his mother. She turns and looks, and soon the word has spread to everyone. They all stand looking at you, still hushed. There is visible tension in their stances. Several young man slowly pick up blunt objects and heft them.
An old man steps out from amongst the crowd. He asks in accented Davethran Who are you strangers? Why are you here?

Lycar
2008-04-12, 07:00 PM
Orin takes a few seconds to seize up the opposition, letting his gaze linger on the youths picking up makeshift weapons as if he was a warrior calculating his chances and liking what he concludes.

In reality he is just stalling a bit, thinking fevereshly about what to say that doesn't immediately escalate the situation to all-out war.

So he speaks up in halting davethran, doing his darndest to fake an accent, any accent really to bring the point across that is'nt his native tongue either.

"We are Dar Ven. We are on vision quest. Had vision that told us to got to ... squid-man town and go through portal to meet with important happenings of destiny. So the gods say, so we do. What is this place? Who are your people?"

(Confidence, Orin. Confidence and sincerity. If you can fake those, you've half won already... Come on people, who are you? Throw me a bone here, give me something to work with. What is it that makes you tick? You just love to kill off all strangers? Are you at war? Did you just win a war? What's with the altar? What god(s) do you worship and what do i know about them to feed you the words you want to hear?)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-13, 05:57 AM
Dar Ven? The man frowns, and peers at you. Wait here.
He goes inside the pub. Everyone else just stands there, watching you.
A moment later, he returns with another man, a Davethran wearing a wreath of flowers and a black robe with gold edging, in a foreign cut. He has red eyes. His jet-black hair matches his short black goatee, beneath a mouth that, opened to speak, reveals oversized fangs. While his skin is the normal shade of an Old Davethran, you can just see a few black dots around his eyes and the bottom of his ears. He's rather familiar to Orin, though not to Tharok, he just looks a tiny bit older than last time they met, and is dressed differently...
What are they? the old man asks him.
They are Dar Ven, says Azakan Zere, travelling barbarians from the far south-east, not Davethran. You don't need to worry about them.

Lycar
2008-04-13, 07:21 AM
When Orin recognizes Azakan Zere, his heart skips a beat. Thankfully his magic disguise helps with masking his surprise.

Instead 'Bren' takes a look at Azakan, glances over at the dead davethran over the altar and, after giving a sort of short shrug, speaks to Azakan.

"You man of destiny?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-13, 01:15 PM
Azakan chuckles. Yes, I suppose I am a man with a destiny, but I doubt it is the one you seek. What did your visions say?

Lycar
2008-04-13, 02:12 PM
Orin looks at Azakan for a long moment, but then he nods and turns to Tharok.

"Tell him about the visions. I think he's 'the one'."

(Yeah Tharok, tell us a bit about those visions you had. I'm curious too.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-13, 04:59 PM
Well, says Tharok, unsure, my first vision told me to seek my destiny in the west. So I travelled to the west, and then when I was near this portal, I had another vision. I saw a great spirit of evil arising in the north, and nearby there was a dog that bit its master, and the dog was killed by the master's son. And the great spirit of evil was going to the master's son to try and trick him into being its servant. And also, a child who called himself Emperor was killed by someone... well, some guy. His eyes flick to Orin, and then back at Azakan. So then we came through the portal, and here we are. We were told to look for some people though.
Ah. Azakan nods, troubled. It seems your visions lead to truth. Come, talk with me.
He leads you into the tavern, and sits you down in a corner.
Outside, people start chattering, but soon the party is in full swing again.
Azakan leans back on his seat, stroking his beard. Well, I understand this business about a master and a dog... you see, my father had a servant who murdered him, and yesterday I took revenge and killed the murderer. But that would mean some evil spirit is coming to trick me... hmmmm...

Lycar
2008-04-14, 12:34 AM
Orin considers this for a moment.

"So the ones outside, dead men, they are dog and companion, yes? But who are you? Who is your father? You are Davethran, Gothul-people. Gothul was very bad. Evil spirit rising, maybe Gothul coming back? That very bad. Bad for your people too. But when Gothul needs trick you to work for him, then you enemy of him, yes?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 05:35 AM
Azakan shakes his head. No, the men outside were just unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They're nothing to do with me. He leans back, thinking. Gothul coming back... a terrifying prospect... we thought he was slain, but then how can you slay a God? There was the host program... if he's coming to see me... he falls into silence, thinking.

Lycar
2008-04-14, 01:24 PM
(... host program? If this is as disturbing as it sounds... oh well, there is also the matter of... not a good time to mention it amybe.. but then again, is there ever...)

Orin listens to Azakan with a stoic expression. Then he suddenly asks
"Is there powerful shaman nearby? Or temple of some god? Who can raise dead people maybe?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 01:57 PM
Azakan's eyes narrow. Why do you ask?

Lycar
2008-04-14, 04:05 PM
Without missing a beat, Orin aswers
"When we went to ruins, we found ... Mind-Eater eating people. Tharok cut him in half. They were where vision told us to go, maybe they too are important. But we can not ask them if they are dead."

Orin just pauses a moment for dramatic reasons.

"So we brought heads."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 04:16 PM
Azakan's face wrinkles in disgust. Ugh, so that's what that smell is... you only have their heads? That will make raising them extremely difficult, you will need to find a very powerful priest. Hmmm... he stares into the distance, thinking, and a slow smile spreads across his face. I intend to go and meet some powerful priests soon. I just have to meet some people here first. He sighs. And convince them to leave me in peace I suppose...
He looks back up at Orin and Tharok. You two want to raise these people, right? Well, perhaps you could accompany me to meet the priests? From what I understand, they'd probably be powerful enough to do it, though I doubt it would be free. The journey will probably be quite long, maybe a week or two to get there, but I don't think you'll have much luck elsewhere. In this country we are in right now, the worship of Gods or spirits is forbidden on pain of death. You're unlikely to find a priest powerful enough here. So why not accompany me? How about it?

Lycar
2008-04-14, 04:39 PM
Orin looks over at Tharok and gives him a barely noticeable nod. Then he turns back to Azakan to give him his answer.

"Very good. You man of destiny, we meant to meet destiny. We go with you. And help make Gothul not come back. And when we meet priests, we ask for raising dead people. Right Tharok?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 04:57 PM
Tharok nods his head in agreement. Alright then.
Azakan smiles. Well, that's good. Do you two want a drink then? I'm waiting for some people I promised to meet, unfortunately, so we can't leave right now.

Lycar
2008-04-15, 02:34 AM
Orin just nods his approval.

(Very well, so there is still a chance to pay my debt and have you raised Rego. And the others... well, i just hope we will have enough coins and valuables... Ah well, since we need to pass some time anyway...)

"Yes drink is good. Eat is good too."

"Say, who is snake-man on altar out there? God of people here?"

(Gah, i have to pace myself talking, trying to make me sound gravely will leave me with a hoarse throat soon.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-15, 07:23 AM
Azakan nods. Yes, their God. Za-something or other. You don't see statues of him very much, what with religion being punishable by death and all. I guess someone had the statue in the basement or something. He chuckles. When they brought it out, the kids didn't even know what it was, one boy got spanked for asking if it was supposed to be a demon.
He gets up. Give me a moment.
He steps out to the door, and sticks his head out, saying something to the people outside in their own language. Then he comes back and sits down, while a man and woman come in. You can see that they, like everyone else here except Azakan, have purple eyes. The man carries two ceramic mugs of alchahol, one for Tharok and one for Orin, while the woman brings you a tray of dark bread, hard cheese, and vegetables you don't recognise. Once they've brought you the food, and bowed to Azakan with big smiles, they leave.
Azakan picks up one of the root-vegetables and starts to munch on it. These things aren't bad you know. The bread is quite hard though. It's a far cry from the food I used to eat in Davethra. These people are pretty poor... I guess that's what happens when you're a conquered race.

Lycar
2008-04-15, 04:35 PM
Orin, the Dar Ven barbarian mercenary, takes a loaf of bread and breaks off a bit, takes a bite and chews.

"Hard bread is good bread. Makes your jaw strong. Soft bread is weak bread. Leaves your jaw weak too. Life is good when hard. Makes you hard. Strong. Tough. Many try conquer Dar Ven. All fail. They say 'they just barbarians, not worth conquering'."

Orin chews a bit more.

"Sour grapes. Like in fairy-tale of fox and raven. Very good tale. Very true."

Orin bites off another bite.

"Can not blame fox though. If you not strong, you must be quick. Or tricky."

After a moment, Orin, may the gods know whatever posessed him to do this, asks Azakan: "I do not speak Davethran very well. You think i stupid?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-15, 06:30 PM
Stupid? Azakan shrugs. Intelligence is relative. I don't see why you should be stupid, but it depends what you mean. You certainly have an interesting take on history, but that's to be expected.

Lycar
2008-04-16, 02:38 AM
Orin nods, seemingly satisfied with Azakan's answer.

(Ach Azakan... you are quite the diplomat, are you not. And yet, for all your wit and sharp mind, i can see the demon spawn trick you into doing his bidding. Surely his logic will be impeccable and then, if it is the logic thing to do, it must be the right thing, mustn't it? But that is just how he will guide back to right where we were when Gothul was still alive. Neccessary evils, they call it, better to sacrifice thousands of our own to our own demon, by our own choice then to be held like cattle by the Illithids... but what would be even better? No demon god at all. But how will you overthrow the archmages? You will need power to do it. Where are you going to get it from then? Will you refuse an offer from another demon?)

Orin goes on to eat and drink a bit, seemingly spaced out as he broods.

(Try as i might, i don't think another Zere will be Davethra's best choice for a new emperor. Someone like Sumner Kesh though... did you ever wonder why he never found a master? Why, when he was just one syllabe away from pledging his life to you, Azakan, fate intervened? Maybe it is because he has yet to find his true master: The people of Davethra. Sure, maybe Sumner is not so versed in the art of the diplomat, or the ruler. But i believe he would not compromise his ideals for a few short-term goals... like so many, many rulers are wont to do.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-16, 03:21 PM
There is a pause as they eat. Then Azakan speaks up again. You know, I never answered your question about who I am, and who my father was. My name is Azakan Zere. Not a name I often use these days, but there's no point lying, since the people I'm meeting here know me by that name. I don't know how good your knowledge of things outside Dar Ven is, but you may recognise the name of my father. His name was Vellan Zere. He was... Azakan scratches his goatee, thinking. I guess you would say that he was the Clan Chief of the Davethrans. All of them. I don't know how you chose your chiefs, but he got his position by being the best fighter of all the Davethrans, not by being popular. He was... a flicker of some emotion crosses Azakan's face, before returning to its normal wry, genial tone. He was not a pleasant man. I grew up in his... well, his big chief's hut, with all his sons and daughters... who also weren't very nice. It was next to the shrine where the Davethran's big spirit, Gothul, lived. And that is not something a child should grow up near... he trails off, staring into the distance. Then his eyes snap back to you.
Well, that's me. What about you?

Lycar
2008-04-16, 04:32 PM
"You want our stories?"

Orin looks over to Tharok for a moment. Maybe he wants to go first.

(You want my story? Well, a story you shall get then...)

Let us assume Tharok does not want to go first. Perhaps he is curious about 'Bren Blackshield's' story too. :smallamused:

With a shrug Orin turns back and tells his tale:
"Me first then. I am Bren. Is not name parents gave me, but is good enough for mercenary. Other mercenaries call me Blackshield. Bren Blackshield. I not know why, but is good enough. So i paint my shield black. I was fighting for your warlords. Archmages. Was strong fighter, took many hearts. But one day, we fight army with demons. We fight hard and brave! Slay many of demons! But they have poision sting."

Orin moves his right hand to touch a point at his abdomen, seemingly subconsciously.
"Still today i feel sting of fiend. Is not deep. Would be scratch if just steel. But a cold fire burns me from inside and world goes black. I think i now go to afterlife. But when i come to, i am still alive. But weak. Weak like newborn. Demon stole my stregth! I was wearing good armour and wielding great sword, just like Tharok. But now i am too weak to wear my old armour. Or wield big sword. Had to stop being mercenary. But did not want to return in shame. Wandered about, aimless, without destiny. Then meet Tharok on plains. He on vision quest from shaman, he has destiny! I ask if he allows shamed warrior to go with him. He agrees. So i follow him. Maybe, if i help him find his destiny, i get back my strength."

"Tharok brave warrior. As mercenary, i only fight for gold. But Tharok fight for right! He show me how true warrior should be. I am in great debt to him."

Orin falls silent again, waiting for Tharok to tell his tale.

(Well, i just hope Tharok picks up on the clue.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-17, 05:35 AM
Azakan nods. Ah yes, I know the demons you speak of... well, actually they're devils, but it's not really important. Maybe the priests I'm going to see will be able to heal you to your full strength. So Tharok, what about you?
Well, says Tharok, I am from the Car San tribe. My father is Clan Chief. The eldest son of the Clan Chief must go on a vision quest to find wisdom in the world, so that he can become Clan Chief. I am not the eldest... he pauses, grimacing. My older brother failed his quest. He was banished in disgrace. So now I must try. He pats his sword. This is the blade of my ancestors, and this, he says pointing to his armour, is the armour of my ancestors. I must hope that this will attract the attention of the spirits, so that they grant me visions to help me find wisdom. It is after I met Bren that I had this vision about coming here, and you, and the evil spirit.
Well, says Azakan, leaning back, it seems we were all destined to meet... so the question is, why do the spirits want you to help me? Perhaps they are scared of Gothul... he mutters to himself, I would be.

Lycar
2008-04-17, 01:49 PM
(Hrm. Need to meet some people. Wonder who they are. But if he needs to convince them to leave him alone. He, maybe two strong barbarian warriors can help with that... either way...)

"You need to meet people? What people? Who are they? They trouble? Maybe we help with trouble then. When do they come?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-18, 05:14 AM
They might be trouble... Azakan sighs. They're not people I want you to kill, or anything. They're people I knew a long time ago. They were helping me with something important, but one of them betrayed me. Why the others are still travelling around with him, I don't know. I met them briefly, a week ago, and they were really insistent on talking. I was busy, so I told them to meet me here, tonight.

Lycar
2008-04-18, 01:53 PM
"Tonight you say? Very well. We will rest. Be ready for them. We will not start fighting. But we must know what is happening. Important things are happening for all men, Davethran, Qsan, Dar Ven alike. As old saying goes: I'll fight my cousin with my brother, i'll fight my neighbour with my brother and cousin, but i will fight the stranger with all Dar Ven. And we will fight any fiend with all men."

Orin gives a sort of bow to Azakan, to emphasize the seriousness of his words.

"There a place for us to rest?"

(Huh, i bet Tharok wants to have a word with me or two...)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-18, 06:17 PM
Well, I guess if you want to nap there are beds, says Azakan, pointing up the stairs.

Lycar
2008-04-18, 08:15 PM
Orin shots a glance at Tharok, then nods.

"Yes, we rest. Thank you for food and drink. You call us when people come, yes?"

Provided that Azakan answers in the affirmative, Orin will finish his food and drink and retreat upstairs with Tharok.

After finding a place to rest and taking off the heavy backpack and shield, Orin sits down and looks at Tharok, whispering to him. "Sorry for doing all the talking. You have questions?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-19, 06:49 AM
Tharok sits down on the other bed. Have you heard of this man, Azakan Zere, or his father? He said we might have, so I assume they are famous.

Lycar
2008-04-19, 06:59 PM
Orin looks around to make sure they have some privacy, then begins to talk with a low voice.

"I would love to sing the Song of Zere for you. Maybe we will have time to indulge in song and story one day. But for now, it must suffice to know that Vellan Zere was the magus who struck a deal with Gothul, to overthrow the Mind Flayers. He had many sons, but most of them were killed in the years after Emperor Zere's assassination. Azakan is one of the last surviving Zeres and therefore the lawful heir to the empire. But the archmages are not going to give up the absolute power they enjoy over their own city states easily."

Looking around again, Orin leans even closer to Tharok before he continues
"That is what worries me so much. Azakan will need help, powerful help to break the might of the archmages. But will he strike a deal with a demon god, like his father? I certainly hope not. He emphatically claimed that he would never do something like this and i am willing to believe him. But he would not be the first to be seduced by power. Or even just the promise of power. Vellan Zere believed it was worth the life of thousands a year to pay for Gothul's help."

"Yes, he did overthrow the Illithid empire, he did free humanity form their slavers. But at what price... "

Orin shakes his head sadly "I do not know how normal people live. I am born a noble, i never had... *sigh* Let us just say that the demons would feel right at home at a mages court and leave it at that. I suppose i cannot even blame the archmages for what they are doing. They just don't know any better. If only... if only someone could show them the errors of their ways. But who would they listen too? In their hubris, they believe their power to be absolute, themselves to be infaillable. They would even defy the gods themselves..."

"Let us rest now. I wonder about the people Azakan wants to meet. And the priests he wants to travel to. Maybe we get lucky and they are actually willing and capable to rise our companions. It will probably eat up all the treasure we gained, leaving nothing to raise those who's cold corpses lie back in Halgarth."

"And it worries me so. One is a man of absolute faith and conviction, his sense of duty to the empire and it's people unwavering. Him i would trust even more then Azakan to bring back the empire, to unite our people and break the stranglehold of the archmages. And not to turn our country to war to subjugate our neighbours again, just to have more... human cattle to draw sacrifices from. No, he would bring peace to Davethra and beyond. And two others i owe my life to. I would be shamed would i not do my utmost to repay the debt and bring them back to life."

"Let us rest now. We had a taxing day and we want our strength of body and mind when we have to face what destiny awaits us."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-20, 05:54 AM
Tharok listens carefully. So Azakan is the son of the Clan Chief? But he hasn't proved himself, and you think he might try and get the help of this evil spirit. Hmmm... I guess we'll just have to make sure he doesn't.
Tharok lies down on the bed, thinking.

Lycar
2008-04-20, 10:46 AM
"I honestly do not know if he has proven himself by now. It has been quite a while since i met him. I should ask him about that, hmm? But yes, we should do our best to protect him from the evil spirit."

Orin falls silent agian and tries to nap a bit. It has already been a long day so far. He tries not to think about the grisly contents of his backpack too.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-23, 07:10 AM
You hear a yell from outside, it sounds like the old man you spoke to earlier.
AZAKAN! THE PEOPLE YOU ARE WAITING FOR ARE HERE!
Tharok jumps up. We better go downstairs. He picks up his stuff and walks out the room and down back to Azakan.

Lycar
2008-04-23, 12:09 PM
Orin tries to get a bit of sleep and has managed to doze off.

(Hmm.. banquet? In the honour of the archmagus? Yes of course... )

But then the yell of the old man tears into his proto-dream and he is rudely awakened. Jerking bolt upright on his cot with a start, he needs a few seconds to sort dream from reality, his heart beating rapidly.

"Oh yes... "

Orin quickly gets up and hurries to one of the windows, trying to spy who it is that Azakan wants to meet.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-23, 01:26 PM
Orin looks out the window, and sees five mounted people, riding fabulously decked steeds. They are led by a Davethran woman of incredible beauty, on a horse with silver eyes. She is flanked by a short, stocky man with dragon tattoos and plate armour on a horse with a stylised dragon barding, and a young man of about 16, who appears to have green skin, and feathers coming out of his bald head, on a horse decorated with feathers. But it's to the other two men that Orin's eye is drawn. It's Khorik and Kaleff.
The woman is softly casting some spells, with no visible effects. The man with dragon tattoos dismounts awkwardly, holding his horse's reigns.

Lycar
2008-04-23, 05:16 PM
Orin looks a bit stunned as he realizes who exactly he is watching down there.

(Khorik?! Khaleff ?! But.. but.. they are dead? Their corpses with the undertaker to keep them fresh for resurrection? But how.... )

Orin ponders for a moment, letting his gaze sweep over the rest of the assembly.

(Well... we were trapped in that time distortion field for.. 4 days? A lot can happen in 4 days. Maybe Kesh Senior went and had Sumner raised. And certainly, as a man of honour, he would have gone and get his companions raised too... but where is he? And how did they manage to contact Azakan? Um. Silly question. The joys of divination magic. Bet the temple was throwing in a free reading what with all the gold they got for those resurrection...)

Spotting another two slightly familiar faces in the crowd, Orin's expression darkens somewhat.

(Oh. Them. Well, these damn bountyhunters could as well have stayed dead and rotting for all i care. Oh well. And to think that Kizima and Livina died trying to raise them. Too bad i don't get to see the expression on their faces now. Although... No, focus! As much as i'd like to watch their brains get eaten by a Mind Flayer, even they must realize that Gothul coming back is something that needs stopping. On the other hand... maybe Sumner isn't with them because they are actually so deparved that they would welcome the fiend back? Bountyhunter scum they are! Maybe demon lovers too!)

Pushing aside the sudden burst of hatered towards those, who would drag him back to Govan for gold, Orin tears himself away from the window and heads downstairs. He intends to leave his heavy backpack behind, but then the memories of two backpacks abandoned, never to be found again flash before his inner eye.

(Oh no, not again. Not this time!)

Orin deftly grabs his backpack and dons it, grimacing as the straps tear into his poor, abused shoulders again. Putting the shield on his left arm, he goes to follow Tharok and join Azakan.

Well, if these people are indeed the ones trying to turn Azakan over to demon worship.. maybe... just maybe he could make the difference...

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-24, 07:30 AM
Orin walks downstairs and into the tavern room. Azakan is sitting at the back, facing the door. He looks completely calm, but as Orin sits down he sees that actually the calm is fixed, he's probably really nervous.
Tharok sits on the other side of Azakan, looking slightly nervous.

Lycar
2008-04-24, 01:17 PM
Orin pauses for a moment, taking in the scene.

(Look at how stressed he is. He doesn't trust these people much either. Hm.. i wonder if Khalef is still a worshiper of that death-god... Ish.. Isi.. the one with the scythe. Isildur? No.. Imsharoth? Something like that. Ah but.. he, i still have some virility left.)

"Ah.. forgot!"

Orin quickly goes up the stairs a bit again, until he feels confident that any spellcasting would go undetected by both Azakan and Tharok. Then he fishes for the copper piece in his spell component pouch (which he wears so it is on his back, awkward but not immediately noticeable. After all, barbarians are not supposed to cast spells. In hindsight, it might have been prudent to disguise it as a rations bag or something..).

Setting down the shield for a moment to have his hands free, he intones the verbal component of the Detects Thoughts spell as quietly as he dares without risking to lose the spell, then picks up the shield again and goes down back to the main room, keeping the concentration on the spell up.

Orin decides to sit on Azakan's other side. If they want to pose as his guardians, they could as well act the way.

Keeping his face as calm as he can, Orin trains his mental focus on the doorway, ready to try and read the minds of those who are about to enter.

(Hm. I should maybe try to go for Khorik's mind first. He is a warrior, not a spellcaster. Hopefully he has little training in keeping his mind closed to reading. And maybe that woman's bodyguard. Although as a guard of a noblewoman, he might.. no, focus! Don't let the spell slip...)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 06:37 AM
The door opens, and the old man from outside leads the newcomers in. The green boy has covered his head with a cowl, his face in shadow, so it is no longer apparent that he is anything strange.
The old man speaks in his strong accent.
Azakan, what is this about plague in Ral Misari? Is this true?
Azakan raises one eyebrow. Plague? Interesting. No, there's no plague, the government simply doesn't want people finding out about what I did. You are perfectly safe.
The man nods. Ah, I see. Very well. I leave you to talk to friends.
He walks out the door, leaving you in the room alone with the newcomers.
Well, pull up a chair, says Azakan to them, waving at the chairs around the room.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 07:08 AM
Orin starts to read the thoughts of the people coming in. He's unable to pick up Khorik's thoughts, or those of Kaleff or the woman, but he gets the thoughts of the cowled, green boy.
It IS him. But it seems he hasn't been idle these past ten years...Who was that inquisitor?

...I wonder if he knows anything about my transformation.

The cowled boy bows, and fetches a chair. He sits down across the table, and unbuttons his cape, allowing to fall away and reveal his emerald skin and plumage of red and black.
Azakan's smile dissapears, replaced by a look of shocked horror. He just sits there, staring at the boy. You... so it's true...
Now that Orin can see him clearly, he realises something. Besides being green and having feathers, the boy looks exactly like the young Sumner Kesh.
The woman looks at Azakan.
Then you know what is happening to him?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 09:44 AM
The young, green, plumed man rests his hands upon his knees observing Azakan closely.
I believe I know what you're thinking, your Lordship. But I am not becoming Gothul reborn.
Orin definitely recognises the voice now, it is indeed Sumner. Why he is now bright green, or has feathers, you don't know.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 09:47 AM
Azakan leans back, visibly shaken. No, you're not. If it were that simple, I'd just kill you.
He sighs, head bowed. I thought I'd escape this, but I can't, can I. You're here to ask me to be Emperor, aren't you?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 10:10 AM
Sumner keeps his gaze low.
I'm asking you to accept your duty and your hereditary right. But you needn't decide right now. He lifts his gaze to meet Azakan, reflecting a slightly weary look in his own eyes.
I also believe that your rulership would be good for Old Davethra; that you could foster an empire of men, instead of demons.
Sumner blinks, slowly.
You would not create another Gothul or Vander Moross. Think on it, please.
That said, the youth leans back in his seat, glancing at Tharok and Orin.
But I'm curious...It's been ten years for you since that...fateful day. What have you been doing all this time?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 10:26 AM
Azakan stares at Sumner despairingly. You don't have any idea what's going on, do you? Of course I don't have to decide straight away, it's already been decided. I have no alternative. As you say, it's my hereditary duty. My father decided for me. He puts his face in his hands, despairingly.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 10:43 AM
Sumner furrows his green brow. It still has the sunburst tattoo, as before. It's just faded, due to the green skin.
Perhaps I don't; I've been out of touch for these past ten years, and especially so this past month. We know of a prophecy, but I've learned to be wary of prophecies. What did you do in the capitol?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 10:45 AM
Assassinated the King, replies Azakan, matter-of-factly, raising his head to look at Sumner again. He did kill my father afterall. I had to take revenge. It is Ne'sha. He laughs at this, sardonically.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 11:47 AM
The warrior lifts his eyebrows for a moment, clearly impressed, but then he nods.
I see. And you sow chaos in the Kumari empire as well.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 11:48 AM
Why's that? asks Azakan. More likely the Kumari will invade Khadoth soon, if they find out the King's dead. But I don't really care, to be honest.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 01:04 PM
Sumner looks carefully at his would-be emperor.
Then, what did you plan next, before we met?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 01:07 PM
Oh, I was going to go to see some people out in the middle of Mahara... he sighs. But I won't be doing that now, I guess. I'll have to go and get that damned Imperial Crown from Ravan.

Toliudar
2008-04-25, 01:35 PM
Ismal

The noblewoman is tense, standing near this man who might become the emperor Davethra deserved...or slide further into despair and doom. Not wanting to interrupt the suddenly very quiet drama between Azakan and Sumner, she directs her thoughts to Draven.

He admits to killing a king, in a village only a few hours from Ral Misari? He had it planned well enough that he was able to guide us to this spot at just the right time. Destiny swirls around this one, and destiny is not kind to those in its wake.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-25, 01:43 PM
Sumner Kesh (?)
The tattooed warrior crosses his arms, thinking.
"I see. I had not thought to make that your initial goal. Obviously your Lordship is very capable, however; not many could assassinate a king in his own capitol. If you mean to slay the pretender...then the Archmagi will have no reason to band together any longer, unless they know of your existence. Hmm."
The feathers springing from Sumner's head rustle slightly as he nods to himself.
"Your Lordship; When I entered this inn, you were surprised, and yet you were not surprised. "So it is true," you said. What did you mean? Have you heard a prophecy as well?"

knewsom
2008-04-25, 02:19 PM
Draven's head was beginning to fill. He turned his head slightly, casting a sidelong glance at Ismal, as he did so, his neck popped - the stout shaman was obviously tense as well. He opened his thoughts to her (and only her).

Indeed it does. I just hope we're not caught in that wake. This man has stones AND smarts. He could be our best friend, or our worst enemy. But a man who doesn't wish to be in command often makes the best commander. I think there may yet be hope.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 02:38 PM
I didn't kill him myself, replies Azakan, tiredly, I hired some mercenaries. We cast a whole bunch of spells on one of them, and he flew invisibly to King Khadoth's castle and slew him. Unfortunately... he grimaces. There was a certain amount of, well, collateral damage. He doesn't answer Sumner's other question, just stares at his plumage intently. There is an awkward silence for a moment.
Suddenly, the Dar Ven with the black shield and the stinking bag blurts out Are you the Paladin?
I had a dream. I didn't think of it. Only shamans dream true I thought. But I wonder. It makes sense now.

And thus, the barbarian mercenary told of his dream:
I saw warrior. He wore pelt of lion, or tiger. He wore crown of feathers, and had sword of stone..... uh.. you know, like a club, but with sharp pieces of rock. Not good for armour but very good for flesh. He wanders plain, all alone.
He meets gazelle. Gazelle asks, "Human, are you alone, where is your herd?" "I am Paladin, i lost my herd" he said, "now i look for new one." "Oh you can join our herd. Is good to be big herd. Is safer." "Why is that?" he asks. And gazelle says "When predator comes, they take some of us. But you warrior, when they come, you kill them! And we will grow and multiply and rule the plain!" and he says "No, i can not do that. Predator must live too. They only take enough to feed young, then life is good." And he wanders on.
Then he meets wolf. And wolf asks "Human, are you alone, where is your pack?" "I am Paladin, I lost my pack, now I look for new one." "Oh you can join my pack, is better that way." "Why is that?" he asks. And wolf says "You great hunter. You help us hunt many gazelles and we will be strong and many! Together, we will rule plain!" and he says "No, I can not do that. Prey must live too. You take enough to feed your young, not more. Or gazelle and wolf die both. But you humble yourself, then life is good."
Then he meets lion. And lion asks "Human, are you alone, where is your pride?" "I am Paladin, I lost my pride, now I look for new one." "Oh but you can join my pride, is better that way." "Why is that?" he asks. And lion says "I am lion. King of plain. I take from gazelle and wolf alike. If gazelle grow too many, I eat them, so they do not eat the plain bare. And I take from wolf. If they take too many gazelle, I take away their kill and they must starve until they only take what they need. But I can not do alone. You can go check on wolf when I hunt gazelle and you can check on gazelle when I tax wolf." "Yes, I can do that. Predator and prey must have balance, then life is good. You bring balance, I help. This is noble task."
And man helps lion rule plain. I do think he does good, dream didn't tell, but goes on.
One day, man comes to lion, but lion is dead and vultures are eating him.
And vultures ask "Human, your king is dead. You can join our flock, is better that way." Warrior grieves much but asks anyway: "Why is that?" "With lion gone, wolf will hunt gazelle as he wants and there will be much carrion for all vultures!" "But then gazelle die and wolf starve!" "Then we feed on wolf carcass." "But then wolf will be dead too!" "Yes, we feed on dead wolf." "But there will be no wolf left to feed on!" "Then we feed on other vulture." And man cries out: "But if you have it your way, no one will be left!" and he starts to swing his sword and cuts many vultures but many more just fly off.
Then wolf comes from shadow... I just saw yellow eyes. "Human" wolf says "Lion is dead, what you do now?" "I don't know. My king is dead. I need new king." "But human" wolf says "lion cub is too young to be king. Vultures would kill him. And even wolf would kill him, for he wants to hunt free. And gazelle wants to kill him, before he grows up and hunts them. So what you gonna do?" And human considers and wonders and asks: "But you are wolf. Do you not want to hunt free?" and wolf says "I heard what you said to the vultures. If it goes vultures way, everybody dies. I want to live. If means, I must restrain my hunt, be it. Gazelle want to live too. If means, they must have number of them eaten by wolf and lion, so be it." And man thinks. And he says "You speak wisely. I will protect lion cub until grown up and he can be king."
And then man goes to lion cub. Is powerful lion, but looks young and .. ah... not experienced. And man says "Lion, I will serve you, if you want me. I will protect you till you grow up and become king, like your father." But cub says: "I want not become like father! Father took gazelle and wolf whenever he wanted, even not hungry. He killed many more then pride needed and said, it was for the greater good! I not want to kill without reason!" And then wolf comes again and says: "But lion. You must keep balance. Balance is life, disorder is death." And wolf looks at warrior, with piercing yellow eyes and says: "Human, you must teach cub to keep balance. Is your duty!'"

And here the mercenary pauses for a moment.
It was strange. From what dream said, what wolf says is true. But when wolf looked at me, I was very frightened, as if was very evil. Then I woke up.
The mercenary points at Sumner. You look a bit like man in dream with feathers on your head. And Azakan is lion cub. And Tharok says, shaman had prophecy that evil force is coming from north, trying to turn king away from justice and to tyranny.
It's true, nods the other mercenary.
But that force is not Paladin, is something else. If dream is true. So... are you Paladin?

While the mercenary speaks, Azakan sits there with his eyes closed.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-25, 03:29 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner listens with bewilderment at first to the Darven's halting Davethran, but he furrows his brow as he continues talking, taking in the tale. As the story goes on, Sumner's mind wanders a little; He'd had little use for parables when a point could be communicated very clearly without them.
Another prophecy. One would think that there were nothing left to choice in the world any more. But a destiny you do not know is no different than no destiny at all.
As the tale winds to a close, the plumed youth appears to think carefully.
'paladin?' What kind of a word is that? Some Darven idea of an oathsworn, maybe.
Gradually, Sumner becomes aware that a question is being asked of him. Somewhat anticlimactically, he shrugs.
"How would I know? Your shaman would be a better judge of that, I'm sure. I know who I am, and I know my Ne'sha; names are immaterial, if that is known."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 03:32 PM
Azakan laughs again. Ah, Ne'sha... I'm sure your friend has told you that.
He sighs again. That dream is somewhat true... add in the fact that the lion cub belongs to the wolf, and the wolf to the lion cub. But then you've got to wonder whether the wolves are really necessary. Always remember, dreams of prophecy come from spirits. And not all spirits have your best interests at heart.

Toliudar
2008-04-25, 05:04 PM
Ismal

All this talk of shamans. Ismal sneaks a glance at Draven. Hmm. Draven. Dar Ven. Coincidence?

Well, my Shaman? What do you make of his story? Yet another prophesy?

knewsom
2008-04-25, 05:21 PM
The burly copper-clad warrior raised an eyebrow at Ismal.

Sounds like it to me. One of the key things to remember about it is that the Wolf is clearly acting in his own best interests - he's just obviously more intelligent than the Vultures and the Gazelles. Perhaps a larger Lion Pride would help things.

Toliudar
2008-04-25, 05:28 PM
Ismal

A believe a larger and stronger lion pride is indeed what this meeting is all about.

knewsom
2008-04-25, 10:33 PM
As long as that pride doesn't serve the wolf... Count me in.

NobleSavage
2008-04-26, 01:14 AM
Kaleff Nefud

This is him. This is the emperor Imshaeroth wanted. Thank you, lord, that I was allowed to help craft him.

As Sumner and Azakan play out the conversation that was fated to happen, the Zhan's attention is drawn to the stinking bag of the Dar Ven barbarian. Activating his ring, Kaleff peers through the outer skin of the pack, before he scans the three opposite them, taking note of where they keep each of their weapons.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-26, 05:26 AM
The Dar Ven mercenary listens to the replies of the strangers. Then he speaks again. There is more. I and Tharok, we were guided here by vision. We also met some people... uh.. not. We met... Mind Flayer who had killed people. Tharok kills Mind Flayer. We wonder if people are part of destiny?
The mercenary goes on and takes off his backpack. He opens it and pulls out something from it, putting it down on the table in front of you.
To your horror, it is a human head. The head of someone that Draven and Ismal recognise... Livina, the Mokai girl they travelled with. Except that there is a bloody hole in her head, and she appears to no longer have a brain, just a gory space.

Looking through the bag with his magic ring's power, Kaleff sees that there are other heads, one has slightly alien features, a woman with pointed ears. There is also the head of a young Qusan man, and a slightly older, red-haired man.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-26, 06:16 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner's nostrils flare as the source of the carrion stench in the room is revealed, and he looks away. Wasn't that just typical of Darven?

Ozzy_G
2008-04-26, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry, Bren, says Azakan to the mercenary, but it doesn't look like I'm going to see those priests. But I imagine we should see some others, so you'll still be able to get them resurrected. It's just that there may be things demanded of them...

knewsom
2008-04-26, 12:10 PM
The burly shaman's eyes went wide, then a pained look crossed his face at the sight of Livina Lightfoot's head, staring blankly at the wall in front of him. He hadn't always agreed with her, but in their short journey together, she had been a loyal companion.

"Livina... How did she die? What about the rest of her? Who else was she with?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-26, 12:27 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner starts a little at Draven's reaction.
"Did you know her?" he asked, surprised and sympathetic.

knewsom
2008-04-26, 12:38 PM
Draven nodded, his eyes still on the decaying visage of the flighty Mokai woman.

"Yes. She was one of the group I travelled to the inn with. As far as I know, she dodged the blast that sent us to hell. I just hope she's not there now."

He turned back to the Dar Ven.

"Her possesions... did she have an amulet on her body? A golden amulet?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-26, 02:53 PM
The Dar Ven mercenary regards Draven's show of emotion with the same stoic expression he displayed so far.
We travelled to ancient ruins. Vision told us to. We come across Mind Flayer. Is buisy eating brains of people, so Tharok kills it. There were four. We could not carry bodies, so we took heads and all we could carry.
Looking over at Tharok, he continues You took other amulet, right? Maybe is the one?
Tharok gets out an amber amulet and a golden locket. There is these two, which do you mean?

knewsom
2008-04-26, 05:17 PM
Draven turned solemnly to Khorik. "You may want to have a close look, my friend."

NobleSavage
2008-04-26, 05:37 PM
Kaleff Nefud

Gut wrenching, Kaleff's eyes linger on the bag, "So," he manages, jerking his head toward the bag "Who else do you have?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-26, 05:41 PM
Khorik picks up the locket, and looks inside. His face darkens with rage. He looks up at the worried Tharok. No, it's not you I'm angry with. He sighs, and puts the locket in his bag.

knewsom
2008-04-26, 06:23 PM
The shaman nodded as Khorik stewed in his anger.

"We'll find her. Eventually, we'll find her."

Finally, he turned to Azakan, extending a thick, gauntleted hand.

"Azakan, I don't believe we've formally met. My name is Draven Kheldravan, a Clansman from the Grey Wastes. You've spoken twice that I know of regarding your lack of interest in the throne... Are you reluctant because of the concentration of power that comes with the throne? Or do you simply not wish to lead?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-26, 06:29 PM
Sumner Kesh
Silent as the matter of severed heads is attended to, Sumner nods, realizing he has been lax with formal introductions.
"Of course, of course. Your Lordship, may I present Draven Keldraven; a strong man, and a good man. May I also introduce the Lady Ismal Pennefar, who has also been extremely helpful. We were thrown together in...difficult times, and we found that we share some idea of what should change in the world."
He glances at the angry Khorik, and then over at the wild-haired Zhan.
"The rest of us you know."

knewsom
2008-04-26, 07:43 PM
Draven smiled to Sumner.

"Thank you, Sumner." He looked back to Azakan. "You might say we've been to hell and back together."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-26, 08:39 PM
Azakan nods wearily at the introductions. Pleased to meet you. I think I used to know one of your brothers, Lady Ismal, back in Zardis. He waves to Bren. They wanted to see the other heads?
Oh, yes, says the mercenary. Do you know those too?
He proceeds to put 3 more heads on the table.
The first is that of a red-haired Qusan. Well, he doesn't have much hair left... there is a gaping hole in his head, and you can see that nearly all of his brain is gone. You vaguely remember him from the Bronze Cauldron tavern, where you all met. This one was warrior. Had scale armour and shield, it had picture of fire bird on it. Also had mace.
The next is a young man, also with no brain, like all of the heads. He appears to be Qusan, or maybe Davethran.
This one was naked when we found him. Dunno why.
Finally, he indicates the pointy-eared head. She was wearing robes. Didn't have much stuff on her. She looks strange, you know who she is? His tone suggests that he rather means to ask 'what' she is though. Sumner can see some similarities between her and the Elf that he, Gareth and Orin once met.
He furrows his brows and goes on. There was also dead mule. But not brain eaten. Dunno what killed it. There was chest on mule with much coins. We think, we take coins to pay priests to raise one of dead to learn if they part of destiny. Or just to spite Mind Flayer. That good reason all by itself.
To demonstrate, the mercenary pulls out a few platinum coins from the backpack (with bloody stains on some of them) and shows them around. They have strange symbols printed on: on one side a large eye, on the other a tower, and words in some strange language that none of you can understand.

Toliudar
2008-04-26, 10:51 PM
Ismal

Introduced to Azakan, Ismal bows deeply, and then back.

doubtless, there are mysteries to be unravelled here, and I hope there will be time for all of them.

My Lord, if I may: When Sumner uncovered himself here, you did not seem all that surprised. All signs seem to point to a return by Gothul, yet Sumner seems quite certain that this is not the case. We have heard prophesies, and it seems that you had some advance knowledge of this as well. May I enquire what you may have heard - or sensed?

knewsom
2008-04-27, 02:19 AM
Draven sidled a little closer to the mercenary, a curious look on his face.

"You said you found a mace with the bodies? Would you mind if I had a look at it?"

If the Mercenary hands Draven the mace, he'll have a close look at it, heft it a bit, and speak the command-word that reliably brought the crackle of electricity to life on his old mace, trying to discern if somehow, it had found its way back to him.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-27, 04:01 AM
Bren turns to his fellow barbarian and asks That mace we found on girl, maybe is the one?
Tharok searches around in his backpack, and brings out a mace. It is indeed Draven's old mace.
Looking at the two mercenaries, you can see that they have many weapons. Tharok has his huge sword, and in the bag where he kept Draven's mace you can see a second one, while Bren has a wickedly barbed mace, a scourge, and a quarterstaff with strange runes on his back. And those are just the weapons you can see.

Azakan taps his fingers on the table, and grimaces. I haven't heard or seen anything particularly, except the interesting visions of my new Dar Ven friends.
He suddenly stands up. Well, there's no point just sitting around here. To become Emperor, I first need the Imperial Crown. My brother Ravan has it. We need to get it off him.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-27, 10:38 AM
Sumner Kesh
seeing the cache of weapons and heads, suspicions begin to form in Sumner's mind...
Hmm. Has Azakan chosen bad company with these two? Mercenaries are one thing, but scavengers, cannibals and possibly murderers... He watches the Darven with a more unfriendly eye.
Keeping his mind at the topic at hand, however, he speaks.
"You accept the burden of being Emperor, then?" He gazes at Azakan carefully, trying to get a sense of his thoughts...

[roll0]

knewsom
2008-04-27, 10:44 AM
Draven grinned at the familiar feel of his magical steel mace, and the faint static charge in the air as it crackled with electricity in his meaty grasp.

"Ha-ha! My old mace! I can't believe it! Excellent. This weapon has served me well for a VERY long time. How can I repay you for finding it?"

Remembering Sumner's ancestral swords, his expression grew a bit more serious.

"Sumner, perhaps you should check to see if your weapons are in that cache as well."

Turning back to Azakan, he looked slightly confused.

"Does the crown have powers of some sort? Why do you need it so badly? Why not just declare yourself emporer now? I'm sure the people would flock to your side."

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-27, 07:26 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner rubs his eyebrow with one green hand.
"Draven," he says, a little wearily, "I would have thought you of all people would understand; Not everyone wants the Empire back in any way. Qusa, the Mokai kingdoms, the Khadothi... those that are independent now will be loath to give it up, and you may be sure that every archmage will fight tooth and nail until it becomes clear that his Lordship's side is the winning one. It will take time. "
He looks at Azakan questioningly,
"I believe that his Lordship plans to move towards the next step of fulfilling this prophecy we have all heard. But that will be made more difficult if rumor of it has reached the pretender; he will be watching, once news of the traitor's death reaches him."
Sumner stands, then, touching the sunburst on his forehead.
"Your Lordship, I do not speak for only myself when I thank you for slaying the one who betrayed the Sire of the Empire."

knewsom
2008-04-27, 10:06 PM
Draven's face grew serious.

"Oh, believe me. I understand. Free people do not wish to be ruled, myself and my people included. Not only do we not wish to be ruled, we REFUSE to be ruled - sometimes even by our own elders. But being ruled and being led are two different things. From what you're saying, Sumner, I take it that his lordship's brother must be... Taken out of the equation before anyone will consider following Azakan - whether as a coalition to destroy Anarazel, or as an empire?"

His brow furrowed.

"Hmm. Can anyone think of any reason to attempt assassinating Sumner... OTHER than to stop the prophecy? Because I can't. And that tells me that the opposition DEFINITELY knows."

Toliudar
2008-04-27, 10:56 PM
Ismal

That Dar Ven. He keeps looking at us. I wonder what his problem is.

Ismal offers a rejoinder to Draven's analysis.

I had always assumed that it was someone who knew about his, ah, transformation. Which might suggest an extra-planar knowledge, but not necessarily prescience.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-28, 09:03 AM
The mercenary looks at Draven for a few seconds, his expression as unreadable as before. Then he says: Why does weapon mean so much to you? Is just tool. You want to show gratitude? Help bring those four back to life then.

Azakan looks confused at the things the rest of you are saying. Sorry, what prophecy are you talking about? And what's this about assassinating Sumner? I mean, yes Sumner, of course I accept being Emperor, it's not like I have a choice, but I want to know what you are talking about with this prophecy first.
Watching him carefully, Sumner realises that:
Azakan is quite clearly lying through his teeth. He doesn't really intend to be Emperor... and when he asks about the prophecy and Sumner being assassinated, he isn't curious at all. He already knows something about this...
He turns to the Dar Ven. What about you? Will you help us?
Tharok looks at Bren, and Bren frowns. Azakan, you are man of destiny but also of honour. You understand I must keep word I gave to have them raised if I can do so. We going to see priests? If not, show me the way, give me a horse. Tell me where to meet you. This is something I need to do. I promised.
The Dar Ven pauses for a moment before he continues. This is important. I could have left them behind, made off with the loot. But that is .... the resonable thing to do. What wolf would do. But wolf is evil. Bring them back? Is foolish, wolf would scoff. So is right thing to do. I lost my strength of arm, fighting demon. I was strong man once. But maybe I need find .. other kind of strength. Strength to do things because they are right. Not because they are reasonable.
Azakan nods, as if he knows exactly what Bren means. Bren, I promise you, I will have your friends raised. After we get the Imperial Crown, we will have to find a certain, very powerful priest. If anyone has the power to raise them, it is him, I've seen him raise people from just a pinch of ash from their burned corpses. So will you two help me?
He turns to the rest of you. And as I said, what are these prophecies?

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-28, 09:51 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner rubs his chin, his demeanor indicative of an age far exceeding his appearance. He looks troubled as he gazes at his would-be sovereign.
Surface Thoughts:

What game are you playing at, Azakan? Why are you still running from your responsibilities? Will I have to be watchdog on both fronts? And did you think to cut down Sumner Kesh before he could try and lead you to your throne? Troubling.

Aloud, however, he says
"You may remember a few days ago when we crossed paths; Just the day before, the Goublan vessel we rode in was attacked by a group of Mal Hong assassins. Specifically, they were targeting me. We learned a little from one of the assassins before we dispatched them, but not enough to know for sure. This surprises me, because my...transformation had become apparent just the day before that. 'Kill the green-skinned one,' he'd said."
Sumner sighs, setting his jaw.
"But this old soldier is a little more concerned about your own safety, your Lordship. If you don't know of the prophecy, then why must you go immediately to slay the pretender? He will be expecting you."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-28, 10:21 AM
Azakan thinks, his hand over his mouth. Hmmm... he says, half to himself, Mal Hong makes sense, why would they know, or care that much? I suppose it would be bad for them politically if Davethra was united. But that doesn't explain how they know...
He looks back up at Sumner. But what is this prophecy you're talking about anyway? Why would Ravan expect me? He thinks I'm his insane prisoner anyway.

NobleSavage
2008-04-28, 11:58 AM
Kaleff Nefud

Interesting, Azakan, you may prove to be uniquely suited to rule Daventhra. I wonder if you know we serve parallel goals?

Re-binding his hair once more, the Zhan attempts to look less like a wild desert fanatic. "Shortly after returning from Goramesh we were given this prophecy:" Kaleff's eyes narrow, and his voice takes on a rolling, evenly metered resonant tone.
"The King of Devils will attack his own Empire three days after he meets his companion in death.
One day later, the Dog that bit its Master will die, by the machinations of the Master's son.
The Master's son will try and take the world himself, but he has a choice. Justice or Tyranny? And his self-appointed advisor is the Host of the Demon-God, you shall know him for he is the One Who Seeks Justice.
Yet the Demon-God would have him be a Tyrant.
The Day before this day, the youngest son of the Master will die, his war over by the hand of the Double of the Lorekeeper. This leaves the door for his brother to take the world.
This is the future. You do not have much time." The Zhan shrugs, "Prophecies are made to be taken with some salt, but you can see why we have been concerned with Sumner's... progress." Eyes sweeping to the warriors plumage now return to Azakan, "But Ravan; does he think you are mad because you also have been doubled?"

Toliudar
2008-04-28, 01:01 PM
Ismal

Ismal forces emotion from her voice, and gives an aspect of nonchalance.

Of course, if all the aspects of the prophesy are coming to pass, then your work is already done, Azakan. Ravan is dead, by some Lorekeeper's clone or somesuch. Yesterday, if I'm understanding correctly.

Which means that the invasion began...four days ago.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 07:37 AM
Bren exchanges a glance with Tharok, then he nods.
Very well, he says to Azakan. You are man of honour. You slew the dog that bit it's master to avenge your father, like a good son should do. And you will slay this .. pretender... who is this man anyway? How could he seize the throne?
But if you give your word, this is good enough for me.
Yes... Azakan drums his fingers on the table. My father was Emperor, "Master". His general, Khadoth, assassinated him. And I killed him, yesterday. So that would be me. And my advisor... he looks at Bren with a calculating look. Yes... and the prophecy says I get a choice. That's good to hear, though I'm not sure I believe it.
You know, I heard some soldiers yesterday saying that they'd heard Anarazel, the Devil-King of Cadralan, had vanished along with most of the Devils in Cadralan, a few days ago. They were on alert. Apparently, their commander told them it was thought Anarazel was going to attack the Kumari empire, but they were preparing just in case he attacked Khadoth instead. Azakan leans back. Anarazel was known for claiming, strangely, to actually be Thalgor Darkblood, the famous Kumari God-Emperor who vanished about 10 years ago. So that would be a case of the King of Devils attacking his own Empire.
It would be good if Ravan was already dead, though that might make finding the crown harder.
But what's this thing about doubles? You said something about it a moment ago Lady Pennifar.
He leans forward, intently. But where did you get this prophecy? With prophecy, it's always important to remember that someone wrote it. What did that person want? What's their angle, their motivation? Can they be trusted? And most importantly, how do they know all this stuff? Maybe they just came up with a load of mystical-sounding crap and we're interpreting it to mean what we think.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-29, 08:34 AM
Sumner Kesh
poker-faced, Sumner nods.
"Yes. Prophecies are very easy to fabricate, Your Lordship, and very useful if they are believed."
Sumner looks at Azakan carefully for a moment. Did he really not know the consequences of the amulet's destruction?
"Your Lordship, Perhaps you do not know what happened when the amulet was broken. I have been told by an Aelf of my acquaintance that the amulet was a bridge, or a window between the world, and" he hesitates for a moment, "A world slightly different. When the amulet was shattered, the other world was destroyed, but from it came some refugees. The devil Anazarel is one, but so were those of us that were...trapped in the tunnel at the time. All of us exist again in the world, although our counterparts are...often quite different."
Sumner thinks for a moment about the Sumner Kesh he met on the way to Halgarth. Would he really have grown so soft if he'd remained an oathsworn in the Empire? No, it was impossible to say. That Sumner was not him; just an old man full of regrets and weariness.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 08:48 AM
Azakan raises one eyebrow. How strange... I did know it was a bridge to a world slightly different, I was going to summon troops from there. But that there are strange doubles of you all out there... bizarre. Perhaps this "double of the lorekeeper" is something to do with that? He thinks for a moment. You remember that noble, Orin? He had lots of lore and knowledge. Perhaps it's his double. Actually... he leans his head back slightly, looking at you all. I see Sumner, Khorik, and Kaleff here. Except that Sumner has turned green and lost several decades. And Kaleff and Khorik have scars. Who else was there? Orin, Hern... he thinks a moment. Gareth. That midget woman, uh, Kizima? Cofaos, the noble? Where are they all now?

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-29, 09:03 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner glances at Kaleff for a moment, then supplies what knowledge he has.
"I traveled with Orin and Gareth for a while, but I lost track of them when I was killed and sent to Goramesh. I believe I saw Kizima in the Bronze Cauldron, but I don't know where she went from there. Hern was killed with me, but he struck his own path in Goramesh, and I don't know if he made it out." Sumner lists the names he mentions on his fingers.
"Cofaos I do not know about. Do you, Kaleff?"
A memory occurs to the tall plumed warrior.
"Anazarel asked me many questions about those of us whose doubles exist here. Khorik's double is dead, I believe" he nods towards Ismal and Draven, "I think Gareth's double was at Halgarth too, although I'm not certain. It seems far more likely that he would be the lorekeeper's double, as a guild wizard. Orin told many stories, but I do not think he was very much of a scholar, whatever he might act. My own is an old man, retired and senile in Qusa. Hern's double we killed. I do not know about the others, only that Anazarel wanted to know more of them."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 09:07 AM
Azakan stares at Sumner, open-mouthed. When you were killed and sent to Goramesh? What the ****? he shouts in shock.

Toliudar
2008-04-29, 09:39 AM
Ismal

Ismal nods and speaks softly under Azakan's outburst.

Imagine how we felt about it.

It was at that tavern in Qusa, several weeks ago. There was a massive explosion of dark energy, and the four of us - plus Hern - were ripped away bodily to the plains of bone in Goramesh. Charming place. Hoping to build a villa there in my retirement.

Lord Azakan, may I ask the nature of your past associations with Anarazel?

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-29, 10:01 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner blinks at Azakan's outburst, then nods.
"Ah, I didn't mention that. I apologize, your lordship; premature death is starting to lose its novelty for me.
Lady Pennefar speaks truly; I believe the 'other' Hern was a follower of one of..." he waves a hand "One of the old demon gods, I think. No matter, we had to escape hell, and here we are now."
Sumner falls quiet again, apparently mulling things over.

Surface Thoughts

Why does Azakan pretend he doesn't know the prophecy? The only advantage I could see would be to make it seem more valid; as if his actions were unconsciously-aligned with it. But then he questions its source...Unless he knows what I suspect, I can see no reason to do it. The matter of the assassins troubles me still...but for the moment, pressing would serve little.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 10:29 AM
Associations? I don't have any, I've never even been to Cadralan. He smiles wryly. Shocking as it may seem, a country run by an insane Devil who thinks he's a famous hero God-Emperor is not the sort of place I like to spend my time.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-29, 12:05 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner weighs his thoughts.
"Perhaps. But I myself am convinced that the two of them are what they say; from the world destroyed. I'm not sure that changes much. He, like other refugees, have quietly killed and replaced their counterparts in the world.
"
He nods to Azakan,
"We met Anazarel and Abraxis, just shortly after escaping Goramesh." He smiles, a little grimly,
"Besides...you didn't think I'd stay put in Hell when there was still work for me to do for the Empire, did you? Dead I may have been, but I am still far from finished."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 12:37 PM
Indeed, smiles Azakan. Now, if you could tell me where you got this prophecy?

Toliudar
2008-04-29, 12:47 PM
Ismal

I would freely acknowledge that the source lacks any corroboration, Lord. It was left imprinted in an object in Adornaxis' castle, apparently left for us to find by the Wandering Prophet.

Unfortunately, this is a figure the details of whom I am sketchy at best. Although...

She turns to Kaleff and Sumner.

Others may be more familiar with his work.

NobleSavage
2008-04-29, 05:59 PM
Kaleff Nefud

Insides roil and suddenly light headed, the Zhan's chair squeals against the stone floor. A whole world? A whole world? Would he lie? Probably not, there's no point. Probably wouldn't even if there was. I thought it was just a portal, a way to summon the demons of our past. Not... not another whole realm. Reflexively, Kaleff starts to make the sign of the Scythe, but cuts himself short. What have you asked of me, Imshaeroth, why was this required?

"Cofaos, Cofaos is dead," dull-eyed, Kaleff sits for a moment. "Dragon. Attacked us before we made it to, to the tavern." Slumping back, he exits the conversation for the moment, eyes distant. A whole world...

Toliudar
2008-04-29, 06:30 PM
Ismal

Concerned for Kaleff, Ismal glances over at the enigmatic man, and frowns. Her thoughts creep hesitantly to him.

Are you all right, Kaleff? I felt a malicious presence as we first came in.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, says Azakan gravely. I only knew Cofaos for a short while, but Cofaos struck me as an honest man.
There's an awkward silence for a moment.
Bren frowns and stares at Sumner for a moment, then at the others.
You say you died and went to Goramesh? How you get out? Who raised you back to life?
He keeps his expression neutral but you can see that his right hand is near his mace.

knewsom
2008-04-29, 08:11 PM
Draven's hand tightened on his old mace, still in his hand from before. The familiar feel of its grip almost tingling in his fingers.

"We weren't resurrected. In fact, we're not even entirely sure if we died, or simply transported there. I was hoping Livina could tell us, when we found her again, but I guess it looks like SHE'S the one who needs it now. We got out through a portal controlled by Anarazel. The price was to do a favor for him - the delivery of a message to Adornaxis. That's why we were at Ziggurat - delivering it. We fulfilled our end of the bargain, he fulfilled his, and rewarded us with the junky, leftover magic items he and his army had no use for - the item that gave us the prophecy was among those which we chose from a massive vault filled with them. Then he tried to force us to stay in the country, and we... well, we left obviously, and I believe I permanently disfigured a man who tried to stop us.

Lord Azakan, what must be done to take the crown from your brother? Do you believe building allies to your cause and to Davethra ahead of time could be valuable when it comes to winning the favor of the Archmages? My father sat on the council of Elders for many years... It's possible we could persuade my clansmen to support Davethra in battle, especially with the rising threat of the Devil-King."

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-29, 08:36 PM
Sumner Kesh
The young green warrior nods. He looks pointedly at the Darven's weapon, and then back up at the man himself, crossing his own arms. There's a particular intensity in his eyes not seen earlier, Like a hippogriff watching a goblin wander too close to its nest of eggs.
"Draven has the truth of it. In one moment, we were left naked and burned on a field of human bones. From there, we had to scavenge," The word leaves Sumner's mouth with some distaste.
"And then barter passage out. It was eventful, but perhaps it's a story for a different time."

Surface Thoughts

Although Sumner's outward appearance is terse, his inner thoughts are jarringly intense.
Don't you DARE, barbarian. Cannibal. Lawless. I will not have this meeting with the future Emperor turn into a slaughter because of your ignorance. So help me, if he draws, I'll send him to ask the demons himself

NobleSavage
2008-04-30, 12:40 AM
Kaleff Nefud

Opening his mind, Kaleff allows the wash of emotions to reach her. I... I didn't know, Ismal. It was supposed to close the portal the demons were about to pour out of, but... a whole world. I may still have done it, it may have been necessary, but, the Zhan finally gets his eyes to focus, bringing them to bear on the sorceress, I would have known, it would have been my decision. Mournful eyes losing a little of their glassy edge, he inhales. Turning back to the others, Kaleff finds some distraction in business. Now, what is this presence you felt? Through the amulet, or on your own?

Toliudar
2008-04-30, 01:05 AM
Ismal

On my own. A presence, scrabbling at me mentally for a moment. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 09:17 AM
Bren and Tharok seem confused by all this. Bren's gaze eventually fixes on Kaleff. He stares at the Zhan for a few long seconds, then he speaks.
I not know what you talk about. What destroyed world? But I say, destroying a world is not merciful. Wiser man then me once said: Justice without mercy is tyranny. Do you seek justice, Zhan?
Azakan suddenly freezes, looking straight ahead. Then he slowly turns to look, piercingly, at Bren. Then he looks back at the table. He smiles slightly, and looks into Sumner's eyes. But somehow Sumner gets the impression that Azakan isn't looking at him, but rather at something behind his eyes. You can't control everything. I still have a chance.
He leans back onto his seat, thinking. So this prophecy is from a magical item you found on a junkheap. And the prophecy is supposed to be from one of the Wandering Prophets. I know of them, interfering busy-bodies, but they mean well. I've talked to one before. And they do truly see the future. But that doesn't mean this item really comes from one.

Toliudar
2008-04-30, 10:07 AM
Ismal

The woman waves a hand dismissively.

Then forget the details. If you don't want to believe that Ravan is dead, by all means, check for yourself. The heart of the prophesy is not that all is pre-determined, but that everything is about to hang very much on a choice. And it seems clear, prophesy or no, that it seems likely to be your choice.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 11:47 AM
Indeed... Azakan arches his fingers together, and smiles wickedly. He looks into Sumner's eyes again. You hear that? A choice! He laughs.
Well then, he says, I guess we better go and check on Ravan. Shall we be off? I told you to meet me here, because it's near a portal that I can use to get us to various other places. Maybe, say, the town of Halgarth on the western coast of the Bitter Sea. Do you know it? It's reasonably near Ravan's area of control without actually being in it.

knewsom
2008-04-30, 12:30 PM
Draven's brow creased slightly. Something just doesn't seem right about all this. The stout shaman can't exactly put it all together, but that wicked grin of Azakan's is making his stomach uneasy.

"Very well then. We'll go see your brother. And afterwards, we'll see about getting them resurrected. ..unless you have other plans for us?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 12:40 PM
Well, when I have the crown... Azakan hesitates. I'll have to do some rituals. But I don't see that this should interfere with getting people raised.

knewsom
2008-04-30, 12:49 PM
The creases in Draven's forehead deepened.

"What sort of Rituals? What are they for?"

sense motive please. [roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-30, 01:06 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner blinks, a little confused.
"Yes, you have a choice. But you also have a duty." He listens to Azakan's plans carefully.
"Halgarth, yes? I have been there. The Bronze Cauldron tavern was, in fact, where I was killed and sent to hell."
Sumner mulls over this prospect.
"I suppose I am somewhat changed since the last time I was there. There is likely to be little repercussion."
He likewise frowns at the mention of rituals...

[roll0]
EDIT: Yes, I'm JUST that good :smalltongue:

Toliudar
2008-04-30, 01:35 PM
Ismal

Ismal is frankly concerned by Azakan's flippant response.

Well, I don't have a D208, but I'll do my best with Sense Motive [roll0]. Also Knowledge Arcana to try to figure out what kind of portals he's talking about. [roll1]

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 04:23 PM
Bren and Tharok look at Azakan with surprised expressions.
Portal? asks Bren. You mean portal in squid-men city that Tharok and I came through? You know how portal works?
Yes, says Azakan, it's not that complicated. The hard bit is controlling it. Few people can, because you need to have a grasp of the Illithid's alien magic. But I have the ability to do it.
He sighs. The rituals... well. It's to do with focusing the power of the crown to gain the power necessary to sieze the empire. To gain the power my father had... he looks at Sumner wearily. As you say, I've got a duty.
You try and read Azakan's voice and body language for clues as to his intentions, but hos face is too controlled to reveal what he is thinking... other than he isn't happy about this duty.

knewsom
2008-04-30, 04:41 PM
Draven's creased brow dripped down to the rest of his face, contorted into a firm frown.

"'power your father had'... Power in precisely what form, Azakan? I'm not helpin' you until you tell me the whole truth."

knewsom
2008-04-30, 04:51 PM
Draven's creased brow dripped down to the rest of his face, contorted into a firm frown.

"'power your father had'... Power in precisely what form, Azakan? I'm not helpin' you until you tell me the whole truth."

NobleSavage
2008-04-30, 05:41 PM
Kaleff Nefud

Fixing the barbarian who seems to invade his mind with a look of contempt, the Zhan seems to spit his words out before softening his tone, "Justice? No, that is too subjective. All can be victims and anything can be justified, when looked at a certain way. No. I want Order. Order, not Law. Things must be aligned in their proper place. That done justice may occur, undone it cannot." Turning back to the main conversation, Kaleff pays close attention to Azakan, trying to get a reading on the man's intention. "And who will be performing these rituals?"

Oh, what the hey, I'll throw down a SM, too [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 06:05 AM
Azakan shrugs. I can't really explain how the power works to you, because you'd need extremely advanced understanding of divine magic. The crown is a bridge of sorts, a binding to all descended from the blood of Zere or his coven, which includes nearly all the nobles of the Empire. Once activated with the correct rituals, which I will perform with some help from certain priests, it will grant me the power to command the Archmages through their blood. It's how my father controlled them.
As far as any of you can tell, Azakan is not leaving anything out here.

Toliudar
2008-05-01, 08:25 AM
Ismal

The noblewoman stiffens at Azakan's words. She was still getting over the effect of the Inquisitor.

This crown allows you to control the Archmages, and the nobles?

It's clear from her tone that this is not an idle question, but one with some personal urgency. She thinks further.

If so, why wouldn't Ravan have used it to quell the rebellious leaders to the west?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 08:38 AM
Yes, says Azakan. And yes, I know what you are thinking, as a noble it will allow me to control you as well should I choose, and Khorik, and... well, actually not Sumner. But you two, yes. Ravan would have loved to use it, but he couldn't do the rituals, because, luckily for us all, I have the power source, and he doesn't. He grimaces, and mutters, Well, not lucky for me. But when I say control, I don't mean you have no free will, like golems. You just will find it extremely difficult to disobey my orders. If I don't give you any actual orders, then it won't make any difference to you. Anyway, I can send orders telepathically to any noble. So I can instantly order all the Archmages to proclaim me Emperor.
Khorik looks worried at this, but says nothing, looking at Ismal to see if she speaks.

Toliudar
2008-05-01, 09:13 AM
Ismal

Conflicting emotions are clearly warring within the normally-composed Ismal. It takes a moment for her to speak, but her voice gains strength as she speaks.

My lord, I long for the return of a time when Davethra was strong and unified, but I have had my share of those who used mind control for their own ends. This kind of servitude is exactly what our people fought under your father to throw off.

My father never mentioned your father's control over him. Perhaps he was ashamed. Perhaps he assumed that the power would never be taken up by a Zere again.

I am no idealist, and I understand that there is no easy way back towards union. But if this is to be your first step towards the recreation of an empire, I beg you not to make it a step that makes thralls of those who may be your greatest supporters.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 09:21 AM
I doubt your father knew he was incapable of disobeying the Emperor, few did. It's a subtle effect. Vellan Zere didn't want people to know, as you said, that was exactly the sort of thing we hated the Illithids because of. He leans forward and looks intently into Ismal's eyes. But you don't seem to understand. I don't want to use that thing. I don't want to be Emperor at all. He looks at Sumner, anger in his eyes. I don't want to do my duty. I want to tell the Kasiyell Solartha Yssyra Goeth Mreya Ul to go screw itself. The foreign words he speaks sound strange, like they were not supposed to be said by a human tongue. It somehow seems as if by saying these words, he has stripped them of beauty, profaned them. He leans back, slumped shoulders, hand covering his eyes in despair. But I have to. I have no choice.
Bren mutters something under his breath.
... a sad chief who must force his tribe to obey...
Azakan snorts in derision. A sad chief who is forced to be chief.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-01, 11:52 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner looks thoughtful for a moment, and then rises to his feet.
"Interesting. In one motion, the Empire restored and the nobles obedient. I had not thought to make it so easy. Interesting that there should be something magical that can compel one to duty. Well," He says, resting his hand upon the hilt of his sword, "Let us begin our journey to Halgarth; we may discuss things along the way. Also, Azakan;" he turns to regard the noble, "Even in anger, such words of power should not be bandied."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 12:08 PM
Azakan laughs. No, I doubt he was too happy about it. He grins wolfishly. But I just wanted to point out that just as he has power over me, I have power over him. He stands up. Well then, I suppose we'll be off to Halgarth now then, to get the crown, and force people to obey me... how pleasant. He shrugs. Still, it is little different to Ne'sha.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-01, 12:21 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner's face darkens for a moment, but then he relaxes.
"I wish you wouldn't try to rile me, your lordship; it serves little, and it is petty and spiteful. Have you thought of how you will rule when you are emperor?"

Toliudar
2008-05-01, 12:34 PM
Ismal

Ismal is clearly in no hurry to depart.

My lord, if I may enquire: you've said several times, and made it clear from your long absence, that you don't wish to be emperor. May I ask what you DO want? What is it you would rather be doing?

Knowledge Arcana [roll0] to recognize the name that Azakan just rolled out.

knewsom
2008-05-01, 01:04 PM
Draven remained seated. His left eye twitched ever so slightly - he was obviously tense.

"What's next, Zere? Summoning armies of demons to serve you and control those who are immune to your command? To control me, and my people? Where I'm from, we have a saying: 'One step on the darkest path will bind your foot.' It's a lot more poetic in Draconic, but you get the meaning. If you do this, it will change everything you do afterwards, and it will change how everyone sees and treats you. And not in a good way. You said you have no choice, Azakan, but you DO have a choice. You don't have to FORCE people to follow you - look around this room - we are all here by our own choice! Begin building your allies, my lord... Take the path that is surely rockier, but not binding. Take that path, and people will WANT to help you. Take the other, and people will try to STOP you."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 09:56 AM
It's not you I'm trying to rile, as well you know, Sumner. Azakan sighs. I don't know what I'd rather be doing. When I was young, I was brought up to rule, like all my brothers and sisters. When Vellan Zere died, I fled and hid from my more powerful brothers at court. When Gothul was destroyed, and they all died, I started to plan to take over. He waves at Kaleff. He put paid to that idea. He looks up at the ceiling, sadly. Since then, I wandered, lost. Eventually I decided that I should at least avenge my father. I never really liked him, but to be honest it was a good excuse to tell myself as justification for killing someone who reminded me of him, another ruler, King Khadoth. I don't know what I want to do now... maybe just have a normal life? Get married, settle down, or something. What do normal people do with their lives... he closes his eyes, his shoulders slumped. They seem happier than me. I just don't want to be a slave to... that thing.

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 10:45 AM
Ismal

The noblewoman relaxes just a bit, for the first time since entering this tavern.

My Lord, I suspect that the misconception that an average life is happy is only held by those who those who have no chance at leading one. The principles of happiness my parents taught me seemed to apply as well to them as to their gardeners. Honesty, a thing larger than yourself to dedicate your efforts to, a bit of security, and love.

She glances at Draven.

Love would seem to help quite a lot, actually, even if when the other elements have, frankly, gone to sh--.

My lord, if I may be so bold, if you didn't like your father, and you don't want to be like him - make changes in the kind of empire you rebuild. You have that task, that grand task to focus your energies. You seem an honest man - you told us about the power of the crown, when you could easily have held that back from us. Love and security...well, I can't help you with those, at least not in the short term.

But I can tell you that when the empire fell, the Pennefar withdrew from the petty grasping and politicking that followed. They created a haven, not a wealthy or particularly powerful one, but a haven, for those who felt as they did. At a sign that an emperor worthy of the name had returned, they would join in your fight, a fight to heal and reunite the empire. And I cannot believe that we are alone.

Your brother's failure to claim the true empire couldn't lie only in his inability to access the crown. Power in the hands of the unworthy turns to dust. If he had treated the nobles as puppets, the way he has done his own people, with his own brother, they would have been assassinated and others, free of his control, put in their place.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 11:03 AM
Azakan sits back down, head in his hands. For a moment, he says nothing, then:
If I have the crown, I will order them to declare me Emperor, take residence in say, Ralm, and Old Davethra will be at peace once more. The Empire will be reastablished bloodlessly, in a matter of days. If I don't use it, the few people who are really willing to fight for people will be forced into a long and bloody war with mercenaries of the Archmages. You've read the history books right? Of how the greatful Davethrans made Vellan their ruler as he'd defeated the Illithids? And then the Mokai and Qusans saw how much better things would be in the Empire, so joined? Lies, all lies. Most of our history was written to paint my father in a good light. Actually, there was a 300 year, brutal and bloody, to unite Davethra. Then it took 500 more years to conquer the Qusans, Mokai and Dar Ven. 300 years of war in Osira, against the Shavarans and then the Kumari. The wars only succeeded because of all the demons we summoned, demons who fed on the blood of children. He looks back up, his fists clenched, his face determined. I've seen too many people die before. The only way to create the Empire peacefully is with the Imperial Crown. That's what it's for.

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 11:13 AM
Ismal

Feeling what hope she had waning, Ismal speaks quickly.

Now who is spouting whitewash? Of course the empire waas bloody and difficult. But how can you know that the only way to have built the empire was to ally with the devils? It was Vellan's way, the way he chose. Not the only way. Did it never occur to you that the wars were fuelled BY the demons - by the need to feed the machine that had been created? "It was necessary" is a failure of imagination and courage.

Neither of us can ever know if it was the only way. The question that I now ask you, though, is "Is that the empire you want to rule?" The one that relied on demons, genocide...Gothul. If you believe in destiny, as you seem to, then the prophesy says that this is when you choose between justice and tyrrany. If you don't, then you are bound only by your own conscience here, now.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 11:18 AM
Of course the conquests were for the demons. They weren't to fuel the war machine though, they were to fuel Gothul's hunger for sacrifice. You say it could have been done another way. How? How do you make an Empire without superior military force? Azakan looks scornful. Your ideas sound very nice, but they're just idealistic rubbish. Empires are built on force and compulsion, not because people just decide that they like taking orders from someone else.

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 12:27 PM
Ismal

Rubbish? Because I disagree with you?

An empire could have been built on strong defences backed up with wealth. Why destroy when you can buy? Conquests that could have been done in less time with cooperation and construction took centuries because we were beholden to the demons, and sacrificed so much of our conquests - and ourselves - to do their bidding.

Empire is based on force and compulsion? Where is there room in that for respect, for Ne'sha? Where is loyalty when all that an empire is built on is fear and compulsion?

How cowardly it is, to hide behind this feigned indifference. I suppose that if you care about nothing, then you can be blamed for nothing, is that it? Well, I care about the people under the Pennefar banner, and I want them to have an empire they deserve. Not one that kills their children to slake the hunger of an insane god.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 12:47 PM
Azakan bursts out laughing, but it's laughter with no joy. He leans forward, and hisses You talk about Ne'sha? The system of honour on which our Empire was based, of swearing oaths to your superiors, of giving all for the Empire? Do you know where Ne'sha came from, who thought it up?

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 01:28 PM
Ismal

Ismal shakes her head in disbelief.

Who. Cares.

Have you listened to nothing we've said? It doesn't matter if the principles were some sort of social facade to keep the people in place. I don't care if the principles were farted out of Gothul's ass. Good people.

She glances unconsciously at Sumner, but lets her gaze linger there a moment.

Decent people have made commitments to an ideal. That ideal, of an empire that stands for something besides the wretched slog of the strong standing on top of the weak in order to breathe. If that's all we wanted, we could have marched over to Ravan to offer our services.

What do you propose to do that's any different?

knewsom
2008-05-02, 02:06 PM
"Look at your eyes, your teeth - clearly you are, in part, descended from a demon... but does that make you a demon? Does that make you evil? No, and it is the same with Ne'Sha. The system of honor and respect that it has become is different that the forced fealty it began as."

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-02, 02:35 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner stands quietly, thinking. This was a realm for words, and his own proficiency with them could only go so far. This was where the Lady Ismal could shine. In a way, it was a pity Orin couldn't be there to see it; this sort of oration was just the sort of thing he delighted in. Sumner casts his mind back briefly to a memory of a sunlight courtyard back in Halgarth, and the discourse they'd had.
Ah, well. Maybe there will be some news in Halgarth of Gareth and Orin both.
Sumner bows his head, his strong green hands clasped lightly behind his back as he listens to the others debate. He listens with particular interest when the debate comes to Ne'sha.
"This humble soldier hesitates to correct any of you about Ne'sha, but I believe we've strayed from the point here; as I see it, this debate is quite simple. Azakan does not wish to be emperor, and indeed I believe he still means not to be. However, if he will be Emperor, he means to do it with minimal bloodshed. The best way he knows is to subjugate the nobles magically. Some here object because it is mind-controlling magic. I can't say I object to people being held to oaths they and their ancestors swore, but with the Old Empire restored, I think we may have order at least, before hell breaks loose. The Empire must be prepared."
He sighs,
"It may be that reclaiming Qusa and Khadoth will be impossible to do peacefully. But we will have to see about that when we come to it."

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 02:44 PM
Ismal

Ismal turns to listen to the warrior's calm litany, and says nothing. The plumage, the green skin, the hunger for conquest. It was all there. And now, he would merrily prod his emperor back towards the bloody path of conquest.

She simply stands, appalled.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 03:01 PM
Bren looks at Azakan for a long moment. Then he speaks up:
To use the power of the crown, it is the easy way, the reasonable way. Wolf choose this. You do not use crown? Then there will be fighting, dying, much blood flying. But do you need an empire? Your people are Davethrans. Leave the Qusan alone, and the Mokai and all others. You no longer need to quest for more souls to sacrifice. Dragon Lady is right. If Empire is only built on force and evil, is not worth it. Take the crown, show it to the archmages and destroy it. Then give them choice: Give them chance to make their live mean something. Maybe they accept. Then life is good. If they refuse, fighting will break out. But better die fighting for what you believe in then live without hope.
Azakan, wolf preys on gazelle. So wolf is master of gazelle? But what would wolf eat without gazelle? It is predator who is at mercy of prey. Not the other way around. What would nobles do without peasant providing for them? Die they would, simply. One needs the other for living. Make sure they all learn this truth. Then life will be good again.
Turning to Ismael, Bren adds You are talking words of wisdom. I hope, you mean true. And not only for Pennefar people.

Wisdom? Azakan's hands start to shake, his eyes start to water, on the edge of frustated tears. Why do none of you understand? It's right there in front of you. You talk about Khadoth, Qusa, the Mokai... you, he says pointing at Draven, talked about your people earlier. Why don't you see? He points at Ismal. You're blinded by hope, and by the culture you were raised in, the culture Gothul created.He points at Sumner. You're blinded by Ne'sha, the lies that Gothul wrote to make people want to serve his plans, and what's more there's... He pauses, then waves at Bren. You're the closest, because you're the only one who hasn't been brought up to believe Gothul's lies. But you desperately want hope as well, I don't know why. You think you can grasp it, but it lies to you. Don't any of you see? The solution is to just... suddenly, Azakan chokes. He can't speak, can't even move his mouth properly. His entire body freezes up, the only movement is to shake. Then it stops just as quickly as it started. Azakan's hand punches down on the table. Damn you! he shouts. He collapses on his chair, sobbing, his hands over his face. Why do you do this to us? Why won't you let me be free?

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-02, 03:15 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner watches Azakan's fit, concerned, starting forward as he shakes.
"Azakan! What's wrong?"
As he recovers somewhat, the green-skinned warrior slowly takes a seat.
"It seems that we have been doing too much of the talking Azakan. Clearly you have something to tell us." He tilts his head to one side "Or are you unable, Your Lordship?"

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 03:15 PM
Ismal

Bren's words seemed to calm her down, and she is about to respond when Azakan has his outburst and seeming seizure. Her thoughts go out to her companions.

Sumner, does Azakan suffer the falling sickness? It oculd be magical. I'm checking for auras in the room.

Ismal stares at Azakan, and snaps off a simple spell.

knewsom
2008-05-02, 03:23 PM
Draven's tense face falls as his eyes widen in horror and sympathy.

"You've been cursed..! But who..? And how? We must put an end to this! Azakan, tell us what you can - before we do anything else, we should free you from it!"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 03:31 PM
I can't tell you who did it, hisses Azakan between wracking sobs. That's part of the... well, it's not a curse. It's a binding. The other party has to do things for me as well... he slowly recovers, breathing heavily. Though if you just think about it, you should be able to guess who did it. He looks sideways at Bren and Tharok. You two should realise what all this is about.
He wipes his eyes. You wouldn't be able to release me anyway. Look, once we do this bloody ritual with the crown, I'll be fine. When I'm Emperor, they won't do anything to me.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-02, 03:38 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner glances sidelong at Ismal.
Any ideas? I know nothing about bindings.
But then he rises to his feet.
"Then the sooner we get you to Halgarth, your lordship, the better. Do you need to make preparations?"

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 03:44 PM
Ismal

He may not be able to speak. There is a powerful aura of transformation about him, and a strong enchantment that may be the source of the blockage we've just seen.

knewsom
2008-05-02, 04:16 PM
Draven gestured to the Bren and Tharok.

"What's he talking about? What do you know of this binding?"

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 04:31 PM
Ismal

Ismal responds to Sumner after repeating his question to Kaleff, Khorik and Draven.

A person may be bound to a specific service, or to act in a certain way. It's not unusual for one of the restrictions to be an inability to speak about the bond itself. If there was another party involved, I'd guess that this was a devil-pact, perhaps what gave him the power to kill Khadoth.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 06:18 PM
We don't know, says Tharok to Ismal, we only met Azakan today... he's cut off by Azakan.
Sumner's right, let's just go to Halgarth. I've had enough talking.
Azakan starts to walk out of the bar. As he reaches the front door, the mercenary Bren speaks. Azakan stops, standing there, facing outwards, while the Dar Ven speaks.
What is that hope you talk about? False hope? False hope for what, peace? There is no 'peace', there is eating and being eaten, being born and dying again. Some get long life with many sons and die in gloriois battle. Some do not live past first winter because hunting is bad. Still, was their lives, short as it was, not a live? What is it you are afraid of? That gods just use us as playthings in their games? Sure they can, they are gods. So? Live your live, Azakan, allow others to live theirs. If you want to fight, fight those who would deny life. Death is meaningless. Is just end of story. But even short story can be good, if you make it so. We all die. Life means dying, eventually. But does not mean we do not value life. We do. We just not afraid of being wolf and kill. And we not be afraid of being gazelle and be killed. Life is. Accept it and life is good.
Prophecy says, demons are marching. They just want to conquer. They not alive, so they can not die. They have no place here. This is not about making empire. This is about making sure demons not become rulers again.
Azakan turns and looks at him, piercingly. He smiles, but there's no joy in it, only sadness. He then looks at the others. It's for you to make up your minds, I've said everything I can. I'm going to activate the portal to Halgarth. He points to the east. It's in a ruin up there. When I've gone through, I'll leave it on. If you want to join me in going and getting the crown, do so. If you want to go back to Halgarth, and live your lives, do so. Bren and Tharok, if you want to come with me to raise your friends, you can. I believe there's a temple of Imshaeroth somewhere in Halgarth, they may be able to do it, I don't know. If any of you want to stop me... you'll just die.
He steps outside, and closes the door behind him, leaving you alone in the tavern.

NobleSavage
2008-05-02, 06:28 PM
Kaleff Nefud

Introspection cut abruptly short, Kaleff straightens his posture and his eyes become alert once again. Oh my gods, I've been so blind. I assumed he was just being difficult, but he actually CANNOT do anything other than what he's said. The Zhan shakes his head. We need to follow him, whatever is happening is centered on him, at least for now. Perhaps the crown... perhaps it inhibits other magics, and that is why he is so anxious to get it. Could it be the alien magic he spoke of earlier that is controlling him?

Standing, Kaleff makes sure he has all his possessions on him. "So, shall we?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-02, 06:47 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner stood and followed Azakan without hesitation, and one might almost imagine a special stripe of military bearing in his manner as his feather stream like pennants behind his green shaven head.

Toliudar
2008-05-02, 07:00 PM
Ismal

Ismal responds to Kaleff, but includes Draven.

We've got to go with him. Well, I do, anyway. Aside from any consideration of the prophesy, if I don't do something, THAT -

She points out the door.

Will have control over me. And I think I'd rather die.

knewsom
2008-05-03, 01:31 AM
His companions were well out the door when the sound of smashing wood, a scream, and the crackle of electricity were heard from inside the Inn, followed immediately by the sound of silver coins dropping to to floor. Moments later, Draven exited the building and, cracking his neck as he walked, quickly caught up with the group.

"Well. At least I got my old mace back."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-03, 07:16 AM
The two Dar Ven barbarians, after packing up their companions' heads, also leave with you to follow Azakan.
Bren looks thoughtful.
If Azakan made pact with spirit, then remember: Spirit always deals for profit and spirit always collects.
Outside the tavern, the local people stare at you suspiciously. They don't seem bothered by Kaleff or the two Dar Ven, but they glare at Sumner, Khorik, Ismal and Draven. Some of them mutter in their own language.
You can see Azakan trudging towards the large hill to the east of the village.

Toliudar
2008-05-03, 04:33 PM
Ismal

Despite everything, Draven is still able to make her smile. She holds back a moment to fall into step with him.

I'm very happy for you, darling. Although there were certainly times I thought you cared more about that thing than me.

Ismal stares forward, at the backs of her companions, the two Dar Ven, and the enigmatic Azakan. Her hand slips out to clutch Draven's.

knewsom
2008-05-03, 05:07 PM
Draven's hand curled around the familiar form of Ismal's.

Ah, it's just a mace. Not even a particularly powerful one, but it's served me well, for a long time. And I like it better than the morning star because I can use it without necessarily killing someone.

He smiled, sadly.

I'm just trying to look on the bright-side of... recent events. Are you doing ok? Does Ur-Jyn have any insight on this whole devil-pact nonsense?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-03, 05:31 PM
You leave the village, and follow Azakan up towards the hill, on which you can see some sort of ruins.
You catch up to him, and he looks at you sadly. So, are you going to help me, or go and do something good with your lives instead? He sighs. Don't bother answering that.
You reach the ruins. Strange shapes stick out of the ground, weird geometry, impossible architecture that shouldn't be possible. You can't understand how it fits together, the weird shapes are somehow disturbing. He leads you to a tunnel, a kind of twisting octagonal-shaped tunnel, which leads down into a room lit by a hole in the ceiling to the outside. One wall contains an arch in which sits a strange, shimmering field of darkness.
Azakan sits down in front of it and closes his eyes.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-03, 10:23 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner gazes with confusion mixed with distaste at the alien architecture set about the land here. The angles were all wrong, and although there were rules to it, the geometry made no sense. He'd be happy to leave this place behind.

Toliudar
2008-05-03, 11:51 PM
Ismal

En route to the portal:

Ismal gives Draven's hand a squeeze.

He'll probably just scream some more about the return of Gothul, and suggest I stab Sumner in the eye right away, but it's worth a try.

She focuses her thoughts on the necklace, but resists an urge to grip it.

Enjoying the show so far, Ur-Jyn? How are we doing with the world-saving so far. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on what might be affecting Azakan, or about any hidden motivations behind them?

---

At the portal:

Ismal glances briefly and disinterestedly at the strange architecture. She had heard some bits and pieces about the ancient evils of the brain-eaters, and how their work delighted in distorting physical reality as much as the mental realities. Perhaps this was simply an example of that.

She watched intently as Azakan focused on the archway.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-04, 01:32 AM
Azakan? asks Bren You can re-set this portal to where it is going now later again, yes? Red-haired warrior may want his armour back, we could not take it. Too bulky. There was scale armour too we could not take. But if money we have is not enough to bring the four back, we might get later?
Azakan does not answer. He just sits there, with his eyes closed.
The dark surface in the archway starts to ripple and swirl, slowly.

As you stand there, looking about in boredom, you see from the light coming through the roof that there are murals on the walls. They seem to be of regular life, but instead of having people, there are Illithids, tall creatures with tentacled faces. It's quite disturbing: here are some Illithids playing some sort of ball game, there are Illithids sitting down at a table eating the brains from writhing humans. Here are Illithids watching what is evidently some sort of performance, with other Illithids on a stage wearing masks. There are Illithids putting little worms in the heads of screaming, tied-up humans.

Ur-Jyn replies to Ismal.
I don't like this one bit. Is there a host of a Demon-God here? Seems like Sumner, he's telling Azakan to do the stuff you think is bad. Personally, I can't really judge between tyranny and justice, I'm an amulet, I don't really have any morals. But you seem to think it's tyranny. And what's this binding thing about with Azakan? All very suspicious. And Azakan seemed to be trying to tell us something through that whole conversation. There's definitely something odd going on with him, he knows more than he's saying. Also, what's this about priests? He said he was going to meet some. But wasn't the only religion Davethrans followed that of Gothul? So who are these priests he's going to see?

knewsom
2008-05-04, 01:36 AM
Draven shifted uncomfortably as he stood, waiting for something to happen, and grumbling under his breath.

"I hope this doesn't take much longer. This place gives me the creeps."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-04, 03:40 AM
Azakan blinks, and stands up, massaging his legs. Sorry, what did you say, Bren?
You can re-set this portal to where it was going before later again, yes? repeats the mercenary.
Yes, of course, replies Azakan, sure. He sounds distracted, looking at the shimmering surface.
When your side has all the pieces, and you can't be seen to throw the game, how do you lose?
Then he steps through the black portal, and vanishes.

NobleSavage
2008-05-04, 04:17 AM
Kaleff

Is he asking us to stop him? How are we going to do that?

Waiting for Sumner to follow Azakan through the portal, the Zhan follows the pair, exhaling as he steps through the archway.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-04, 04:33 AM
Bren walks through the portal, followed by Tharok, leaving you alone.
Khorik looks uneasy. I still don't know what he's on about, but there's something going on here, he broadcasts telepathically to Ismal. What should we do? I know Sumner's going to just follow him, but I... I wanted to be a noble warrior like Sumner, but is this really noble? I wish I knew what Azakan means with all these strange hints.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-04, 08:52 AM
Sumner Kesh
The feathered warrior pauses at the threshhold of the portal, his Mal Hong-style clothes being ruffled by an intangible breeze. He half-turns then, resting his hand lightly on the hilt of the wicked-looking gnomish katana at his belt. He addresses the others,
"In the time I have known you, you have all been steadfast companions and good in heart. Some of us escaped Goramesh together side-by-side, and more than one of us has already laid down his life once for what he believes." The warrior stand straight upright, even looking so young, Sumner exudes something of the dignity of the Old Empire.
"I will not tell you your Ne'Sha. None of you have sworn oaths nor pledged allegiance, and so if you wish you go your own way once we reach Halgarth, I can ask no more of you; I will wish you happiness and peace." Sumner watches the others for a moment, gauging their reaction, then continues, his grey eyes evaluating still.
"But this is the time before the dawn of the new Empire; if you wish your voice heard in what is to come, I think you will have to follow Azakan. I know you have doubts," he says, his gaze resting on Ismal and Draven for just a moment before moving on
"I do too, honestly, but never have I been so close to realizing my dream: an Empire of Man alone. And for that dream I will fight on to bring an End to this Age of Ruin."

Toliudar
2008-05-04, 09:12 AM
Ismal

Ismal nods as she picks up Khorik's thoughts, and returns hers to him alone.

After all my ranting in there about not controlling others, it would be a special kind of hypocrasy for me to tell you what to do now. I choose to go with Azakan, at least to better understand the bargain that he seems to have made.

As we did with Sumner and his possession, I am reserving judgement. There are wheels within wheels here. And...it would be a comfort to have your blade with us.

As Sumner speaks, Ismal meets his gaze levelly, but does not respond.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-04, 10:41 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner meets Ismal's gaze; the ravashing beauty and the tall green youth locked in a tableau for a moment.

"You fear tyranny from me, and from Azakan. You fear that he will sacrifice others' wills instead of their hearts to be emperor. You fear for your own freedom and the freedom of others, if the crown is used." Sumner lets that sink in.
"Well enough; I understand that. If my voice is heard, this magic will be sparsely used. Let each man decide his own Ne'sha, but let him face the consequences of it. If a magi shall oppose Azakan, their rightful ruler, then let his voice be heard. If he shall take up arms, then the crown will quell the rebellion before it can take life. You fear dominion of one will over another, but is that not what war is? Perhaps you fear the Empire will expand. Well,"
Sumner raises a shoulder in a half-shrug.
"My concern is that there should be peace and order within Old Davethra. Qusa manages itself well enough, it seems, and the Clans of the Ash Waste maintain peace among themselves. If you have doubts, then please, speak of them to me; I hope you trust me to listen."

Toliudar
2008-05-04, 05:30 PM
Ismal

Ismal smiles with a fondness for the old/young warrior.

Sumner, of course I trust you to listen, but you have said yourself where your loyalties lie. Your decision is already made, and I don't believe a few words from me would ever change your mind. What is the point of discussing this with you?

She glances at the portal, and looks over at Draven.

Ready when you are, love.

knewsom
2008-05-04, 05:45 PM
Draven stood silently for a brief moment, deep in thought. When he spoke, his voice was serious, and had a hint of sadness to it.

"I'm not afraid of tyranny because I simply won't accept it. I AM afraid of what I may have to do to stop it. ...and so you know, my people live in peace with each other without mind control."

Draven sighed put a hand on Ismal's back with a nod.

"Let's go."

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-04, 06:09 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner's gaze lingers for just a moment on the clasped hands of the two, but then he bows his head and steps through the portal.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-05, 05:56 AM
You step through the portal and find yourselves in another room, similar to the one you came from, but without any natural light. Soft light glows from Azakan's hand, standing with the two Dar Ven. As you step through, you catch the end of him saying something, but he stops, looking guilty. Bren continues talking.
... the temple of Isana. I hope, money will be enough. But do not worry, Azakan. I gave my word and my word I will hold, so my strength permits.
Azakan looks slightly relieved. Okay, let's go to Halgarth. He walks up a corridor, followed by the barbarians.

Toliudar
2008-05-05, 09:10 AM
Ismal

Walking through the portal with Draven, Ismal pauses to watch for Kaleff and Khorik to join them. Her thoughts continued to race.

NobleSavage
2008-05-05, 12:21 PM
Kaleff

Exiting the portal, Kaleff takes a quick look around before briskly following his companions. Finally, back to civilization. Wonder if its the priests of Imshaeroth that we're going to visit. I doubt it, but it would be nice to save a trip, especially when I'd rather not let Azakan out of my sight. Broadening his mental speech, Kaleff reaches out for Ismal. So what do we do? It seems like we are to ally with Azakan against Azakan. Is there any way to speak with him within his mind where he is free to think as he pleases? He doesn't seem to be limited in that regard, only in what he expresses vocally.

Toliudar
2008-05-05, 03:19 PM
Ismal

I can't think of any reliable way to talk to him that doesn't also engage any barriers that he faces. Plus, after our experiences with the...invisible one in the bar, I'm no longer convinced that these mental conversations are completely safe. Around Azakan, I'm going to try to say nothing mentally that I wouldn't want him to hear anyway. Of course, if we need to break that, I'll always be monitoring...I just thought I'd let you know.

So yes, for now, we follow, I'd say.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 07:15 AM
You follow Azakan up through several tunnels, full of disturbing murals and strange shaped-walls, and eventually come out onto a hill. It seems to be early evening, and to the east is a huge expanse of water, the Bitter Sea presumably. A bit to the north is a walled town, which you recognise as Halgarth.
Azakan looks at the sky. We'll need to find an inn for the night I guess. You said you'd been to Halgarth before? Any of you know a good place to stay?

Toliudar
2008-05-06, 08:16 AM
Ismal

Trying to relax in the strangeness of both their surroundings and their situation, Ismal smiles.

Sadly, I can't recommend the place that we last visited when we were here. If it still stands at all.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 08:26 AM
Oh, asks Azakan, what was wrong with it?
You all start walking down the hill towards Halgarth. You can see the smoke from chimnies, but there seems to be more, darker smoke than you'd expect, a pall over the town.
As you walk, pitter-patters of rain start to fall on you from the dark clouds in the sky.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-06, 12:03 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner shakes his head, sadly.
"The explosion, your Lordship. It was at the Bronze Cauldron."
His tone is absent, however, as he squints at the horizon.
Something wrong? Either the rain is holding the smoke down, or...

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 12:29 PM
Ah, right, says Azakan uneasily. The one that sent you to Goramesh...
He looks out at the town. There seems to be a lot of smoke... I wonder if they've had some sort of festival with bonfires?

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-06, 12:33 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner laughs, shortly.
"I wouldn't have pegged you as an optimist, your Lordship. Something doesn't feel right, and I would be more at ease if a few of us scouted ahead first. What say you?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 12:35 PM
Azakan shrugs. Very well, go ahead. Better safe than sorry.

knewsom
2008-05-06, 01:27 PM
A festival of bonfires? Draven sighed inwardly. More likely a festival of invading Devils. Great, just what we need.

"All right then, let's get a move on. Azakan, in case the town is in ruin, is there anything in particular we should look for, to see if it's still standing? Or people to look for, to see if they're still breathing?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 02:58 PM
Ruin? Azakan waves at the tops of the houses that you can see over the wall. What are you talking about? Just because there's some smoke, you think that the town's been destroyed? You guys sure are paranoid.

knewsom
2008-05-06, 03:27 PM
"I didn't say DESTROYED... And besides, the way things have been going, we have a reason to be pessimistic. We were sent to find someone, then ended being blown up and sent to Hell, then found our way out, but had to do a Devil preparing for war a favor, someone tried to assassinate Sumner, we had to flee for our lives, teleported to the wrong place, had to travel for a very long ways, get mentally interrogated by an illithid-magic-wielding bastard, found out that Sumner is in all likleyhood possessed by Gothul whom we all wished would simply stay dead, all on the way to meet you, who we find out is being controlled by some other entity, maybe even Gothul as well, but have no way of finding out who, or how to stop it. Does it really seem like that much of a stretch to worry slightly that there's a problem with the town when there's a huge cloud of black smoke hanging over it?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 03:48 PM
Azakan smiles. You're a clever man, Draven, but not a wise one. He sits down. Well, I'll stay here then, while someone or other goes and scouts. He chants a spell, then lies back on the grass, hands behind his head.

Toliudar
2008-05-06, 03:52 PM
Ismal

Yes, Lord. I can't imagine what might have given us such a bleak demeanour. I can slip forward with a degree of subtleness to take a look. Would you care to join me, Sumner?

Her thoughts reach back to Draven.

I'm still trying to figure out whether one of the Dar Ven is exerting control over Azakan. Until we know what's actually going on, we risk making things worse. Will you stay to keep an eye on them?

If no one objects, she will move quickly towards the town, slipping herself and anyone with her invisibile as they get closer.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 04:01 PM
Khorik sits down. I'm not too stealthy, I'll stay here with Draven and Azakan and these two, he says pointing at the Dar Ven with his thumb, while you two go.

knewsom
2008-05-06, 04:06 PM
"Well if it's subtlety you're after, I'd better stay put - have fun, and do be careful." I'll keep my eyes open, at least, to what I can see.

Draven sat down on the grass by Azakan, the raindrops plinking periodically on his mithral helmet and armor. He was having second thoughts about lending that cloak of his to Sumner.

"Well, I never laid any claims to wisdom, and truth be told, I'm not so clever either. But any fool can pick out a pattern from recent events. So, if I managed to somehow guess whoever it was is bound to you, would you be able to say nothing in response? Or would you have to deny it? Probably stupid looking for a loophole, but hey, you never know."

NobleSavage
2008-05-06, 05:14 PM
Kaleff

Livening up at the mention of reconassiance, Kaleff joins Ismal and the others. "Lets go see whats been going on in our absence, shall we?"

Walking swiftly with the others, Kaleff keeps an eye out for any temples of Imshaeroth's.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 05:31 PM
You tell strange story, says Bren to Ismal and Sumner. You go and see what lies ahead without being seen, that is good. We will stay with Azakan.
He and Tharok sit down on the wet grass.
Azakan does not answer Draven, he just raises an eyebrow.

knewsom
2008-05-06, 06:06 PM
Draven makes himself more comfortable, picking a long stem of grass and chewing on the end.

"Ok, I'll take that as a 'yes'. Hopefully you'll be able to tell me who it's NOT then. I'll start off with someone I'm pretty sure it ISN'T. Is it Anarazel?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 06:34 PM
Azakan sighs. Sorry, it isn't that easy. I can't tell you at all.

knewsom
2008-05-06, 06:53 PM
Draven continued chomping. "Hmm... If you can't even tell me who it's NOT, it's going to be rather difficult to figure it out."

A few moments passed.

"You said it'd all be alright once you got the crown. Is that because they're compelling you get get it? Or because once you have it they won't be able to control you?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-07, 03:34 AM
Sumner Kesh
While the group continues its exposition, Sumner gives an irritated grunt.
"I am not possessed by Gothul. If I believed for an instant I were, I would do my duty and leave him no body left to inhabit."
Sumner, after a moment's thought, ties his jacket a little closer, hoping to muffle the noise of his chain shirt.
"Very well," he says, resting a hand on the sheath of his weapon. His expression is resolute.
"Let's see what there is to see. Any magic that could help us, Lady Pennefar?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-07, 05:06 AM
Again, I can't tell you... Azakan yawns widely. Oh, I'm tired... I... his eyelids sink over his eyes, and he lies back on the ground, rapidly asleep.

Toliudar
2008-05-07, 08:30 AM
Ismal

Sumner Kesh
While the group continues its exposition, Sumner gives an irritated grunt.
"I am not possessed by Gothul. If I believed for an instant I were, I would do my duty and leave him no body left to inhabit."
Sumner, after a moment's thought, ties his jacket a little closer, hoping to muffle the noise of his chain shirt.
"Very well," he says, resting a hand on the sheath of his weapon. His expression is resolute.
"Let's see what there is to see. Any magic that could help us, Lady Pennefar?"

Ismal smiles as she begins walking towards the town.

Plenty, depending on what we want. I could render all of us invisible to the naked eye for a few minutes, although I seem to recall Kaleff being more than capable in that regard as well. If need be, I could help us fly, although I'm not sure how much you would enjoy being that creature of legend, a fearsome pixie. Do we think we need to go unseen?

knewsom
2008-05-07, 11:58 AM
Seeing Azakan sleeping (or at least, pretending to sleep to avoid conversation), Draven sighs.

"Great. So you two, how'd you end up working with Azakan?"

and uh, sense motive check. [roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-07, 01:31 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner tilts his head to one side, thinking.
"You can do that? Hmm. Well, both flying and invisible, I don't think three of us need to go. Just invisible, I think all three should go. Perhaps you and I, Lady Pennefar? That will be less magic spent. I leave it to your judgment."

NobleSavage
2008-05-07, 01:46 PM
Kaleff

Kaleff frowns as Sumner suggests excluding him, "I'm not so sure thats a good idea. I would like to poke around town, and my perceptive abilities may prove quite useful. Unfortunately, my spells dealing with invisibility were lost over there somewhere," he points in what he thinks may be the direction the Bronze Cauldron would have been in. "and can manage only short peroids of personal concealment. I can, however, disguise myself as an ordinary member of town quite easily. If you two decide to go on on your own, I will probably choose to explore on my own."

Toliudar
2008-05-07, 03:25 PM
Ismal

Ismal smiles.

Three doses of invisibility, coming up. And Kaleff, remember that we're scouting here mostly to ensure that there isn't some kind of major catastrophe that's struck the town. If it were me, I wouldn't go wandering too far off on my own - but you're a big boy. Do keep in mind also that this will only last a few minutes.

And finally, if you do go off on your own, do check in periodically, mentally, if you don't mind. As long as we don't separate too much, I should still be able to hear you.

As they got closer to the town, Ismal's own thoughts turned to the Bronze Cauldron, and the fateful and spectacularly ill-fated meeting that took place there. As if the mood could not be any blacker. Which prompted her to ask.

Sumner, I guess I'm not clear. If you're so convinced that it's not Gothul cohabiting with you, what DO you think it is?

When the three were close enough to town that she judged them in danger of being spotted, Ismal paused and wove three spells of invisibility, finishing with herself.

Shall we?

She continued forward, moving as quietly as possible.

So, that's nine minutes of invisibility. Ozzy, I'd appreciate a warning at about the 4-5 minute mark of our further travels.

She'll continue forward at regular speed until she spots a creature, at which point she'll slow to half speed. Taking 10 on move silently rolls until I have to do otherwise, for a total of 11.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-07, 04:37 PM
Sumner Kesh
Quietly thankful that his speculation will be silent, Sumner broadcasts to Ismal
It is a spirit of some kind, although its exact nature I do not know. It has a name, but it is one ancient and powerful, and I have promised not to say it out loud. I know little else.

Toliudar
2008-05-07, 05:11 PM
Ismal

The now invisible Ismal nods reflexively, then realizes how useless the gesture is.

I appreciate your candour. My concern is that Ur-Jyn has not, as yet, been wrong. And the little guy is rather insistent that it's Gothul inside you. You'll understand that if I were Gothul, I'd have given a different name too. After all, even if you had some way of knowing that you had the demon's real name, who's to say that Gothul wasn't a sort of nom de guerre for it in the past? There aren't likely to be many around who would have first-hand knowledge of the demon, since first-hand knowledge of Gothul was usually followed by a great deal of screaming and then abrupt silence.

I say all of this only to explain why we're concerned, and concerned for you. I don't doubt your sincerity, but these things have a nasty tendancy to work out so that by the time you realize the bargain is a bad one, it's rather too late to do anything about it.

I guess what I'm asking is: would you be open to an effort to effect a disentanglement of you with this spirit?

She continues to walk towards the town's main street, looking around and trying to figure out the source of the extra smoke.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-07, 05:28 PM
The Dar Ven named Bren looks over at Draven, gives his companion a short shrug and tells his tale.
I was mercenary once. Fought for gold. One day, some demon-fiend stings me in battle and I fall down. When I come to again, my strength and health is gone. I had heavy armour and big sword, like Tharok. But I can not wear anymore. So I wandered, aimless. One day, I had dream I talked you about. Did not think much of it. But then meet Tharok. He on vision quest from shaman, very important. So I ask him, if I can join him and he agrees. Then we come upon squid-man and dead people. And Tharok has vision to go through portal to meet destiny. We meet Azakan. Rest you know.
Tharok nods. I was near the portal, when I had a vision. While less talkative, Tharok seems to speak better Davethran than Bren, though he has an accent. It told me bits and pieces, from which we worked out that we had to go through the Mind Flayer portal in order to raise our friends. And we came out of the ruin you saw, near the town with Azakan in. That's where we met him, only a few hours before you turned up. You guys seem to know a lot more about him than we do. He looks down at the sleeping noble.
So, how come you went to Goramesh? asks Bren.

Meanwhile, Ismal, Sumner and Kaleff proceed invisibly to the town. This takes them about four or five minutes of walking. They reach the town gates, where three guards sit on barrels playing cards and drinking. They seem far less alert than the last time you came here.
You can see the street inside. Banners hang mornfully across between buildings, once bright but now washed out by rain. You cannot read them, as the words have washed out. There is a lot of rubbish on the streets compared to before, confetti and streamers lying in the mud.
You cannot yet see where the thin layer of smoke is coming from, it seems to be further inside town.

Toliudar
2008-05-07, 05:40 PM
Ismal

Ismal sends her thoughts out to her two companions, hoping that they're still nearby.

Well, they're not digging mass graves, putting out fires, or praying for absolution against the prospect of an upcoming armageddon, so I'm going to guess it's not going to be too dangerous to head in as a group. Maybe Azakan was right - that there was some kind of celebration here last night. After all, not everyone knows that we're dancing on a precipice.

In any case, I suggest we jog on back and get the others. By the time we learn anything inside, the spells would be fading, anyway. Sure, we could renew them, but...well, I'd like to conserve my energy if I can. Considering how complicated things got the LAST time we came here.

NobleSavage
2008-05-07, 11:26 PM
Kaleff Nefud

You're right, it doesn't look too bad. If you think it'd be a good idea, I could stay here, do a little more recon. As you say, I can be unobtrusive, and if you're still worried about running into unfriendlies an advance scout would come in handy. I can, in fact, restrain my curiosity for a few more moments, though.

knewsom
2008-05-08, 12:54 AM
Draven shrugged.

"Huh. Hard to believe anyone knows less about him than I do. Interesting stories. Truth be told, I'm still not sure why we ended up in Goramesh. We were in this tavern in town here, like Sumner said, the Bronze Cauldron. Some damned archmages had hired a few of us to find this guy Orin Stillwater because he had to be an archmage or something, I don't really know. I was just supposed to track him down and tell him they were lookin' for him, and if he was amenable, escort him back. Well, we had word he'd be at the Cauldron, and when we went to find our contact, Ismal and I ended up caught in the middle of an argument about something or other, this one guy in crazy spiked armor decided to attack, he was killed, but in his dying breath, laughed and said he'd send us all to hell with him. Then he exploded in flames, and the next thing I knew, Ismal, myself, Sumner, Kaleff, Khorik here, and Hern all awoke butt-naked on a pile of bones in a balmy realm with a red sky. Never did find out what happened to our other friends, except for poor Livina here... or what happened to that guy we were supposed to find. Oh well, that damned Govan was probably up to no good anyways, the fork-tongued sneak. I just hope I'll eventually get to speak with one of the people who survived the explosion in the inn so I can find out what happened."

Toliudar
2008-05-08, 01:18 AM
Ismal

Ismal passes along Kaleff's comments to Sumner, and adds her own thoughts.

Kaleff, you do as you see fit. I'm reasonably satisfied that there are no obvious threats, and it seems quite unlikely that I'd find a subtler threat in a few minutes. If there are potential hostiles here, I make it much worse if I pop in unexpectedly. I'm walking back now. If you want to let me know where we might best look for you when we come, I'll do my best to check in on you.

The mental shrug in Ismal's voice is evident. She'll wait for a few moments for either man to respond, then - unless there is a request for her to stay - she will start heading back the way she came.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-08, 03:59 AM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner grunts his approval.
Yes, I agree. Guards drinking is something reassuring, if rather slovenly. I'm concerned, however, as to what effect my new appearance will have in town.
A pause.
As to the spirit, I do not know. So far I cannot see that the presence is a malevolent one, although there is much I still wish I knew. Wait and see, I guess.

Toliudar
2008-05-08, 09:40 AM
Ismal

As you wish.

I guess we'll find out soon enough about the effect of your appearance - I have no disguise that will hold up for any length of time, and I have no idea how long Azakan plans to spend here. If we're going to be trying to raise Livina and those others from the dead, that could be hours, if not days.

Glad that Sumner couldn't see the concern on her face, Ismal slips back to the group to report.

Pausing to see if Kaleff is going to head into town, or come back with the group.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-08, 10:19 AM
Ismal appears in front of the group around the sleeping Azakan.
What did you find? asks Khorik.

Toliudar
2008-05-08, 12:10 PM
Ismal

Ismal smiles. She speaks softly, so as not to waken Azakan.

As far as I can tell, the remnants of a bonfire festival. A few guards in front of the town, with several hairs of dog. Some washed-out banners and garbage around. If there was some kind of calamity, it was the most lackadaisical response I've ever seen. I think Kaleff has secreted himself somewhere in the town to do some poking about.

Her eyes soften a bit as she looks down at the sleeping would-be (or would-he-be?) monarch. She might have high expectations and grave reservations about the man, but she certainly didn't envy him either.

Once he's awake, I'd say we'd be safe to move on. Sooner the better, as far as those heads are concerned, I suppose.

She smiles at Bren and gestures to his bag.

Were you...close friends? It's reassuring to find this kind of loyalty and dedication, in amongst...well. Anyone, these days.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-08, 12:16 PM
Sumner Kesh
Appearing alongside Ismal, the plumed warrior nods his agreement to Ismal's explanation. To her question, however, he already has the answer.
"I believe Bren mentioned that he found these corpses in some ruins, after killing whatever killed them. It is unusual altruism to find such a scene and devote yourselves to their return from death. It is..." Sumner hesitates, then finishes, grudgingly, "commendable."
The tall youth crosses his arms and looks at the sleeping Azakan, brooding.
I wonder what you will do to evade your responsibilities, my emperor...

Ozzy_G
2008-05-08, 12:18 PM
Azakan's eyes flicker open, and he yawns. What didja find?

Toliudar
2008-05-08, 12:31 PM
Ismal

Ismal grins, and offers a hand to help Azakan to his feet.

My Lord, I believe your assessment was correct. A bonfire festival. We found guards drinking at their post at the gates, and evidence of revelry now blotted into obscurity. The nature of the celebration could not be read from the banners, so there is some cause for caution, but unless it was a bi-weekly "roast the Davethrans" festival, we should be fine.

She moves behind Draven and places her hands on his shoulders.

It's a shame we missed the party, though. He may come across all gruff and grumbly, but this man can gavotte like you would not believe.

knewsom
2008-05-08, 02:17 PM
The burly shaman blushed ever so slightly, and chuckled.

"Now don't go givin' away ALL my secrets, love... Huh, whaddaya know? I guess the whole world isn't falling apart at once after all. What's next? A free meal and a comfy bed?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-08, 02:41 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner nods once more.
"Yes. Shall we go down, now?"

Toliudar
2008-05-08, 03:35 PM
Ismal

Absolutely. I suspect that Sir Khorik could certainly use a drink.

Ismal starts to stroll back towards the gates again. She turns to the two Dar Ven barbarians.

I suppose I shouldn't presume. Do your people drink alcohol? Or are they the ones who eat dead people?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-08, 07:09 PM
Tharok smiles. We drink alchahol and we eat people. He waves a hand. Only defeated enemies though. You've nothing to fear.
Unless you're their enemies, mutters Azakan wryly.
You all start walking towards the town.
Bet they clelebrated Ravan's death, comments Bren out of the blue. Prophecy said, false emperor be killed by... uh.. 'double of Lorekeeper'. Who is this? Qusan might know.

You reach the gates. The surly, unshaven Qusan guards look at you. What do you want here? grunts one. The others put their hands on their weapons. They look at you suspiciously.

Toliudar
2008-05-09, 09:21 AM
Ismal

We are travellers.

She looked back at the group. Containing, as it did, three Davethran nobles, a Mokai, two Dar Ven, and a green-skinned man with feathers...a more complete story was slow in forming, even for the normally quick-witted courtier.

...and after a few days on the road, I'm MOST eager for a bath and a hot meal. I recall a place from my last time through town, last year. The Bronze Something-or-other...is it still any good?

She gestures to the fading banners.

It looks like we missed out on some fun. May I ask the nature of the celebration?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-09, 02:08 PM
We were celebrating the death of Ravan Zere says the surly guard. 'Cause we don't like Davethrans. He stares at you balefully. I'd watch yourself in this town, missy. Your kind aren't popular here. He sniffs. I guess maybe someone will take your money... not the Bronze Cauldron though, it burned down.

NobleSavage
2008-05-09, 02:20 PM
Kaleff Nefud

I'll be inside the gates, not too far from the entrance. I may look different, but I'll leave my cloak unchanged.

Proceeding through the gates quietly, Kaleff goes to the first building he comes to and, using the power of his ring, peers through its walls. Looking for a safe place to hide on his way out, the Zhan will continue doing so until he finds an empty building. That done, and unless he finds anything of greater intrest, he will proceed to the center of town, careful to avoid any of the villiagers and avoide patches of earth that would betray his presence. Once he witnesses the source of the smoke, or detection becomes an issue, Kaleff will return to either a out-of-the-way location by the gate, or the building he had previously picked out.

Didn't really intend to go this route, but it works. Will try to be around more frequently.

Use 'em if you need 'em rolls

Hide [roll0]
Move Silent [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

For what he may see
Rel[roll3]
Arc[roll4]

knewsom
2008-05-09, 02:31 PM
Draven met the surly guard's gaze with green eyes harder than Adamantine.

"Thanks for the tip. We're not looking for trouble, but we can take care of ourselves."

Striding through the gates, the shaman keept his eyes open for anything familiar.

Toliudar
2008-05-09, 06:03 PM
Ismal

Ignoring the guard's surliness, Ismal registers surprise.

Oh, Ravan is dead? What's happened? I didn't even know he was ill.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-12, 04:50 AM
The guard sneers. He wasn't ill. He was assassinated by the great hero, Orin Stillwater, rest his soul.
Bren turns to the guard and asks. Are there any temples in town? With priests and such? Powerful priests?
A different guard answers. Of course not. There are no priests here, we don't stand for that kind of thing.
Kaleff doesn't see any abandoned buildings, except for several burnt-out buildings, which seem to be the sources of the smoke. They are around town, some near the centre, but others in other places.

Toliudar
2008-05-12, 09:24 AM
Ismal

Stillwater? The coward we were sent to fetch...oh, a lifetime ago. I'd nearly forgotten all about him. Well, guess he wasn't such a coward after all. I wonder what prompted the assassination, though. From Desha's description...but then, what can you believe from such a man?

Orin Stillwater? Guess you don't hate ALL Davethrans, then. You make it sound as if he was killed in the effort. What have you heard?

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-12, 11:37 AM
Sumner Kesh

Sumner takes all this in silently. Turning his head towards the city's skyline, he frowns, thinking.
That prophecy is starting to be eerily accurate...
Nonetheless, he continues to let Ismal do the talking.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-13, 08:55 AM
Orin didn't die in the attempt, says one guard. He came back here, to a hero's welcome, as he deserved. A different guard nods. He was so humble too, said he couldn't have done it without the aid of our great wizards.
The first guard continues. But what happened to him... evidently some Davethran Archmagus, or maybe a friend of Ravan's, didn't like what he'd done. They sent demons to kill him. It was horrible, they appeared right in the middle of the festival, and carved through the crowd, killed a bunch of women and kids, and then Orin.
The second guard interrupts. And at the same time, some other demons appeared at the other end of town, and tortured some people to find out where Colonel Kesh, this old guy who was training our troops, lived. They killed him too, then dissapeared. I guess they don't want our troops well-trained.
The first guard stares balefully at the other, who looks embaressed. Not that it matters, of course. There's plenty of other people to train our troops. No Davethran Archmagus or Mokai King will stand a chance if he comes at us. The guard looks at you piercingly when he says this.
Bren takes a look at the cityscape, with the scars of burned-out buildings pockmarking it and asks, So what houses did you burn down then? Davethrans?
Some, sneers the guard. After Orin's murder, there were riots, and every non-Qusan spellcaster's house was burnt down. Serves 'em right. One of them must have summoned those demons.

NobleSavage
2008-05-13, 11:10 AM
Kaleff Nefud

Lingering in cover, Kaleff makes his way close to the entrance, reaching out for Ismal's mind. Smoke looks to be coming from several burnt out buildings, doesn't appear to been magical in nature. Seems like we're in luck, sort of. Have you made it in yet?

Couple questions
What is traffic on the street like? If substantial, or even regular, Kaleff will use a Disguise Self spell to imitate the features of the most common... commoner.
Forgot to state earlier, but Kaleff will be on the lookout for signs of Zhan activity/business or whatever, any luck?
Spot[roll0]

knewsom
2008-05-13, 12:18 PM
Draven had stopped just beyond the guards and listened to the rest of the story. He bowed his head at the mention of last night's slaughter.

Ismal, I'm starting to think it's probably not a good idea for you to be here, and I'm wondering if there's even much for Azakan to gain here still. Maybe we need a plan B.

"Are you sure they were demons sent by an archmage? Or could they have been sent by the devil-king Anarazel?"

Ozzy_G
2008-05-13, 12:21 PM
The guard turns and mouths "who" at his companion, a confused expression on his face. The other one shrugs, and says to you Who's that? Is he a Davethran sorcerer? I don't recognise the name.

knewsom
2008-05-13, 12:25 PM
Draven shook his head.

"No, no. Not Davethran. He's a devil from Goramesh, and he's appointed himself King of Cadralan, I believe, and I have it on good authority that he's been preparing for war. I also hear they have great teleportation ability, so this attack fits their MO."

Oz, if I got that wrong, I'll gladly change it.

Toliudar
2008-05-13, 03:02 PM
Ismal

At the reference to the death of "Colonel Kesh", Ismal glances over at Sumner, but says nothing for now. What would it be like, to hear of your own death? If this is indeed his alternate persona here.

Thanks for your concern, love. I'm not particularly thrilled to be here either. But I feel we must stick with Azakan. He's our best bet to fight Anarazel. I may not like the idea of a puppetmaster on the Davethran throne, but neither do I want a land ravaged.

She looks meaningfully at the remains of the fire.

I would appreciate an opportunity to pay my respects to this great hero Stillwater. His body lying in a place of respect here, I assume?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-13, 06:36 PM
Azakan sighs sadly. I myself used to know Stillwater, though that was about ten years ago. I wouldn't say we were friends, but we were acquaintances... I too would like to pay my respects at his grave.
The guards look uneasy, but one of them says, His body is in the Wizard's guild, I think.

Toliudar
2008-05-13, 07:41 PM
Ismal

She smiles as best she can at her companions.

Then, shall we go?

knewsom
2008-05-13, 07:46 PM
Draven nodded, his mind obviously still occupied.

"Sure."

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-13, 10:57 PM
Sumner Kesh
Sumner bears the news of Orin and Sumner's death resolutely, although he bows his head.
So the colonel is dead by demons, is he... I know too well where the guilt for that lies. The Devil king is hunting down everyone from the lost world...but why? Do they know something about him? Are they the key to a ritual?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 05:56 AM
You walk into the town, the guards watching you suspiciously.
You walk up the main road towards the centre of town. You pass a few buildings gutted by fire, and walk over the evidence of celebration stamped into the mud. The roads are paved, but still covered in mud. The rain is starting to get heavier.
You pass a few Qusans scurrying along the road, coats over their heads. They give you suspicious looks before scurrying past.
Azakan seems not to care about the rain at all, it just seems to slide off his clothes. But the rest of you are starting to get sodden.
Um, where are we going? asks Khorik. Are we going straight to see Orin, or are we going to an inn? Do any of you actually know where the Wizard's Guild is?
Azakan shrugs. I don't. I assume it's the largest building around, we just have to find that. It'll be pretty central.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 09:33 AM
Walking back through town, Kaleff, still invisible, sees his companions wandering along the road, looking quite sodden, except for Azakan who seems perfectly dry.