PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Item's Saves

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-04-09, 09:32 PM
Are there any modifiers for the item's saves? Can they be improved?

mikethepoor
2008-04-09, 09:37 PM
That depends on whether the items are attended or not. If they're not, improve their caster level; if they are, boost your own saves.

KillianHawkeye
2008-04-09, 09:41 PM
A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

A magic item being held by a character uses the character's saving throw instead. To my knowledge there's no way to improve it.

Collin152
2008-04-09, 09:42 PM
A magic item being held by a character uses the character's saving throw instead. To my knowledge there's no way to improve it.

Even if its worse than when its unattended?

RTGoodman
2008-04-09, 09:50 PM
Even if its worse than when its unattended?

No:

Saving Throws

(object): The spell can be cast on objects, which receive saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, or the like) by a creature resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creature’s saving throw bonus unless its own bonus is greater. (This notation does not mean that a spell can be cast only on objects. Some spells of this sort can be cast on creatures or objects.) A magic item’s saving throw bonuses are each equal to 2 + one-half the item’s caster level.

(Emphasis mine.)

Also, note that non-magical unattended items don't even get saving throws. If you want to protect those, you're gonna have to carry 'em.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-04-09, 09:53 PM
So, it is possible for say... a Half-Dragon (Red) Fighter to hide in lava and ambush a party of adventurers? Do the items get the immunity, I would think not but I'm not sure, but if the Fighter is powerful enough then he comes out dripping with lava and is still fully functional. Right?

Nebo_
2008-04-09, 10:53 PM
Items are only damaged if the character rolls a natural 1 on his save.

As for the lava ambush, if you're the DM, then it doesn't matter. Just do it, because cool **** is cool.